PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Lets expand the conversation: "Let our QBoTF sit for a few years"

Molitoth
02-02-2017, 12:53 PM
As much as I love Aaron Rodgers, this trending opinion around Chiefs fans that Rodgers sets the new model of how to find a QBOTF is annoying.

Yes, Rodgers sat behind Favre until he got his turn. Did those seasons on the bench help him develop or were they just a wasted portion of his career?
How much worth is bench time over actual in game/in practice reps?

Some questions:

Does QBOTF need to learn pocket presence from Alex Smith? I sure hope not. What about how to lead receivers and throw a deep ball? Kill me now.
Maybe he can learn pre-snap defensive reads from Alex Smith?... What are the coaches for again? Learn how to throw a bubble screen? Hopefully the prospect learned this in High school...

I'm not seeing much benefit in sitting this prospect to learn from a career mediocre QB. I see much more benefit getting him quality snaps and real in game experience... especially while the current Defensive window is open.

Here is a list of CURRENT NFL QB's that have had very respectable to amazing ROOKIE seasons.

Jameis Winston - 16 GP, 58.3% comp., 4,042 yards, 22 TDs, 15 INTs, 54 carries, 213 rushing yards, 6 TDs.

Andy Dalton - 16 GP, 58.1% comp., 3,398 yards, 20 TDs, 13 INTs, 37 carries, 152 rushing yards, 1 TD.

Andrew Luck - 16 GP, 54.1% comp., 4,374 yards, 23 TDs, 18 INTs, 62 carries, 255 rushing yards, 5 TDs.

Matt Ryan - 16 GP, 61.1% comp., 3,440 yards, 16 TDs, 11 INTs, 55 carries, 104 rushing yards, 1 TD.

Russell Wilson - 16 GP, 64.1% comp., 3,118 yards, 26 TDs, 10 INTs, 94 carries, 489 rushing yards, 4 TDs.

Cam Newton - 16 GP, 60.0% comp., 4,051 yards, 21 TDs, 17 INTs, 126 carries, 706 rushing yards, 14 TDs.

RG3 - 15 GP, 65.4% comp., 3,200 yards, 20 TDs, 5 INTs, 120 carries, 815 rushing yards, 7 TDs.

Ben Roethlisberger - 14 GP, 66.4% comp., 2,621 yards, 17 TDs, 11 INTs, 56 carries, 144 rushing yards, 1 TD.

Would anyone be opposed to these starting QB's?
Dak Prescott
Carson Wentz
Marcus Mariota
Derek Carr

Discuss.

The Franchise
02-02-2017, 12:55 PM
I'm sure he would have no problem replicating Smith's 15 TDs.

O.city
02-02-2017, 12:57 PM
In the past, when you sat a guy it was because the rest of the team sucked, you were drafting early, took a QB and didn't want him to get mutilated.

If the Chiefs can improve the LG spot, maybe get another RB and TE, why can't a rookie succeed with the talent the Chiefs have now?

If they take one early, he needs to play. You learn to play from playing, plus the contractual implications of having a cheap QB etc.

KC_Lee
02-02-2017, 12:58 PM
In the past, when you sat a guy it was because the rest of the team sucked, you were drafting early, took a QB and didn't want him to get mutilated.

If the Chiefs can improve the LG spot, maybe get another RB and TE, why can't a rookie succeed with the talent the Chiefs have now?

If they take one early, he needs to play. You learn to play from playing, plus the contractual implications of having a cheap QB etc.

QFT.

Given the pieces on the current KC roster, starting a QBOTF out of the gate would be less of an issue than say a team that just went 3 - 13 and is devoid of talent.

The Franchise
02-02-2017, 12:59 PM
I'm all for cutting/trading Smith, letting Foles play on his current deal, and drafting a QB in the 1st round (like Mahomes). Let Mahomes and Foles battle it out in TC and the winner starts.

O.city
02-02-2017, 01:03 PM
Or let Smith and Mahomes (or insert qb) do it.

At this point, I'm on the Romo bandwagon. If they don't like any of the Qbs in this years class, lets see what Tony could do here.

Molitoth
02-02-2017, 01:06 PM

I agree. Say you are in a shithole of a situation such as the Browns. I can see the relevance to sitting your QBoTF until you get some surrounding positions solidified...

The Chiefs thankfully are NOT Void of talent and do not fit this scenario.

loochy
02-02-2017, 01:08 PM
I'm all for cutting/trading Smith, letting Foles play on his current deal, and drafting a QB in the 1st round (like Mahomes). Let Mahomes and Foles battle it out in TC and the winner starts.

OMG just talking about it makes me throb.

Mr. Laz
02-02-2017, 01:18 PM
Cutting Smith leaves too much dead money.

Keep Smith one more year
Draft a stud QB IF there is one there

Give young QB every chance to win starting job NEXT year.

smooth transition, don't turn our young QB into David Carr

hey, maybe the young guy dominates and takes Smith job the 1st year. You don't plan on your 1st-year guy doing that.

Hydrae
02-02-2017, 01:19 PM
If sitting a QB for a couple of years is the answer then we should be about ready to unleash Bray on the rest of the league! :D

Molitoth
02-02-2017, 01:22 PM

Keep Smith one more year

hey, maybe the young guy dominates and takes Smith job the 1st year. You don't plan on your 1st-year guy doing that.

Shouldn't we be giving players a chance to win the job EVERY YEAR?
The Seahawks did it and found Russell Wilson.

Does anyone honestly think Foles/Bray/Hogan had ANY chance at actually being named the starting QB over a guy making so much money?

HemiEd
02-02-2017, 01:27 PM
It is fun dreaming about drafting the QBOTf. Maybe it is just me, but experience tells me this our next QB.

http://i65.tinypic.com/oqvi9k.jpg

Urc Burry
02-02-2017, 01:30 PM
I think trading Smith is a possibility. The most obvious team is the jets. They have a decent team around them. Decent line, decent wr corp. Bowles will be coaching for his job this year. Fitz is done, and then it's Hackenburg or Petty.

In that scenario you can restructure/extend Foles for cheaper then what he is currently at and draft a qb in the first round. That is my dream scenario. If said QB isn't ready to go to start the year you roll with Foles and let it play out

KC_Lee
02-02-2017, 01:33 PM
It is fun dreaming about drafting the QBOTf. Maybe it is just me, but experience tells me this our next QB.

Let's take this idea and...

http://i.imgur.com/mnPuqZS.gif

Shall we??

oldman
02-02-2017, 01:35 PM

Keep Smith one more year

I agree. I'm not real wild about this year's QB class, Mahomes being the best of the bunch, IMO. Foles isn't the answer. I'd rather see Bray step up and take that #2 spot and see what he has. If he doesn't, draft a QB in 2018.

Molitoth
02-02-2017, 01:37 PM
I think trading Smith is a possibility. The most obvious team is the jets. They have a decent team around them. Decent line, decent wr corp. Bowles will be coaching for his job this year. Fitz is done, and then it's Hackenburg or Petty.

In that scenario you can restructure/extend Foles for cheaper then what he is currently at and draft a qb in the first round. That is my dream scenario. If said QB isn't ready to go to start the year you roll with Foles and let it play out

Both potential QBoTF picks.... if the Jets were smart, they would actually give them a chance at the starting job instead of doing what the Chiefs did and trade for another teams cast off.

I'd love to see what Hackenburg could do.

Pasta Little Brioni
02-02-2017, 01:38 PM
They need to get the damn QB first

Mr. Laz
02-02-2017, 01:39 PM
Shouldn't we be giving players a chance to win the job EVERY YEAR?
The Seahawks did it and found Russell Wilson.

Does anyone honestly think Foles/Bray/Hogan had ANY chance at actually being named the starting QB over a guy making so much money?
*sigh*

*deep breath*

Of course you give everyone a chance to start. But there is a difference between giving someone a chance to start and PLANNING for a player to start, especially when it comes to QBs. It's much harder to give a QB reps, especially with the 1st team. Even harder to give them reps with the 1st in the preseason.

I understand that everyone is tired of waiting for a franchise QB but that doesn't mean we should be stupid about it. Maybe we hit lightening and the young guy blows up and starts day 1. That is the except not the norm.

One step at a time, let's just hope that Andy Reid even wants a new QB and I haven't seen any indication that he does. Dorsey won't put a priority on drafting one until Andy tells him he needs an upgrade at the QB position.

Urc Burry
02-02-2017, 01:39 PM
Both potential QBoTF picks.... if the Jets were smart, they would actually give them a chance at the starting job instead of doing what the Chiefs did and trade for another teams cast off.

Petty was pretty bad, and Hackenburg looked terrible before the season. Like I said. Bowles is coaching for his job. They don't have time to bank on one of those 2 panning out

Mr. Laz
02-02-2017, 01:42 PM
We don't want to get caught with our pants down and end up with a downgrade at the position.

We don't trade or cut Alex Smith until we have a quality replacement for him.

Unless with use a trade of Alex Smith to move up in the draft to get one. I don't really see one that we can do that for yet.

stumppy
02-02-2017, 02:44 PM

Ed. I'm cussing at you for the second time in as many days.

SHUT YOUR WHORE MOUTH !

KC_Lee
02-02-2017, 04:00 PM

SHUT YOUR WHORE MOUTH !

Man, I called this out 2 years ago...still rather eat a bowl of live fire ants than have this D-Bag as our QB.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showpost.php?p=11776609&postcount=106

DaneMcCloud
02-02-2017, 04:03 PM

Hackenberg is garbage

The Franchise
02-02-2017, 04:04 PM
The Jets need to take the Chief's approach. Bring in a veteran to stabilize that team.

stumppy
02-02-2017, 04:05 PM
Man, I called this out 2 years ago...still rather eat a bowl of live fire ants than have this D-Bag as our QB.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showpost.php?p=11776609&postcount=106

It's not going to happen. I just hate to even think about it.

OldSchool
02-02-2017, 04:05 PM

ROFL

Are you being serious? This statement alone tells me all I need to know about your ability, or lack thereof, to evaluate QBs.

Rooster
02-02-2017, 04:11 PM

:#:# You shut your whore mouth!!

It hurts because I know it's true. :(

Best22
02-02-2017, 04:22 PM

Keep Smith one more year

David Carr had a terrible offensive line (and team). We don't. Houston was an expansion team

DaneMcCloud
02-02-2017, 04:37 PM

No, it does not.

Pre June 1
Dead Money - $7.2 million.
Cap Space: - $9.7 million
Net cap space gained: $2.5 million

Post June 1
Dead Money - $3.6 million
Cap Space - $13.3 million
Net Cap Space gained: $9.7 million

Molitoth
02-02-2017, 05:07 PM
ROFL

Are you being serious? This statement alone tells me all I need to know about your ability, or lack thereof, to evaluate QBs.

I suppose I should've attended the Jets training camp like you did?
I suppose I should've sat in on all of the QB drills the Jets put those QB's through just like you did.

Tell me, how did those QB's look when you saw them play?

Oh wait, let me guess... You read some random article from a Jets beat reporter on ESPN clamoring for Ryan Fitz to come to the team... considering the season he had before 2016, I'm guessing half the city wanted him back.

notorious
02-02-2017, 05:22 PM
No, it does not.

Pre June 1

Post June 1

Easy decision.

HemiEd
02-02-2017, 06:14 PM

SHUT YOUR WHORE MOUTH !

What direction do the facts point? What has been the pattern? Anything better than this is a wonderful surprise.

stumppy
02-02-2017, 06:17 PM
What direction do the facts point? What has been the pattern? Anything better than this is a wonderful surprise.

Hmmm, expect the worst, hope for the best. I get that.

HemiEd
02-02-2017, 06:17 PM
The Jets need to take the Chief's approach. Bring in a veteran to stabilize that team.

Just happen to have one available. Thank the lord he isn't injured.

HemiEd
02-02-2017, 06:20 PM
It's not going to happen. I just hate to even think about it.
The kneeling thing to our National Anthem saved us. No ****ing way in hell is he coming to the bible belt. Thanks so much Colin, but **** you. I was just trying to point out, anything short of trading for his ass is progress for our team.

TribalElder
02-02-2017, 06:35 PM
The only way to simulate real game play is during a real game

Sitting a qb is somewhat counter productive

Groom groom groom cut

Rinse & repeat

Sweet Daddy Hate
02-02-2017, 06:44 PM
Shouldn't you have a prospect first?

OP insinuates that QBOTF is a done deal. Which, of course, would be awesome. It's great that more people are getting behind the idea of drafting a QB, but having been down this road before, I would caution restraint in getting one's hopes up.

Discuss Thrower
02-02-2017, 06:45 PM

You mean

http://cdn.wrn.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/Brett-Hundley.jpg

Molitoth
02-02-2017, 06:55 PM
Shouldn't you have a prospect first?

OP insinuates that QBOTF is a done deal. Which, of course, would be awesome. It's great that more people are getting behind the idea of drafting a QB, but having been down this road before, I would caution restraint in getting one's hopes up.

I'm just trying to figure out the why people keep saying, "We should draft a QB, but he should sit a season or two and learn from Alex."

Learn from Alex how? Learn what? How to create a mirage that you are a "winning" QB for a big payday?
There are QB's entering the league and taking over... why does any QB need to come in and sit and learn from someone who is mediocre?

TigeRRUppeRRcut
02-02-2017, 06:57 PM
The only way to simulate real game play is during a real game

Sitting a qb is somewhat counter productive

Groom groom groom cut

Rinse & repeat

Tell that to Steve young, Rivers, Tom Brady, and Aaron Rodgers

Molitoth
02-02-2017, 07:01 PM

Since you apparently only deal in FACTS, show us the facts you have that lead to proving that starting them sooner would have ruined their careers?

Sweet Daddy Hate
02-02-2017, 07:19 PM
I'm just trying to figure out the why people keep saying, "We should draft a QB, but he should sit a season or two and learn from Alex."

Learn from Alex how? Learn what? How to create a mirage that you are a "winning" QB for a big payday?
There are QB's entering the league and taking over... why does any QB need to come in and sit and learn from someone who is mediocre?

Sit and learn? Possibly.

From Alex? Oh hell no. Ideally, Smith would be gone. No prospect should be taking instruction from him about ANYTHING QB-related outside of a few intangibles related to professionalism and leadership etc.
And even then I'm not sure that I feel comfortable with the idea.

HemiEd
02-02-2017, 07:39 PM
Hmmm, expect the worst, hope for the best. I get that.

Did you think we were going to win against Colts up 28?

HemiEd
02-02-2017, 07:41 PM
You mean

http://cdn.wrn.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/Brett-Hundley.jpg

:rockon:

stumppy
02-02-2017, 07:47 PM
Did you think we were going to win against Colts up 28?

You're going to make me cry Ed. Mentioning Krapernick, the colts game, if you post the name of the kicker that shall go unnamed I'm going to have to get my hands on some meds.

KC_Lee
02-03-2017, 10:18 AM

Steve Young started in both the USFL (LA Express) and Tampa Bay before sitting behind Montana. At the time he was considered a bust (TB drafted Testaverde to replace him) and was traded to San Fran.

Molitoth
02-03-2017, 10:32 AM
Steve Young started in both the USFL (LA Express) and Tampa Bay before sitting behind Montana. At the time he was considered a bust (TB drafted Testaverde to replace him) and was traded to San Fran.

FACT not FICTION?????

KC_Lee
02-03-2017, 10:47 AM
FACT not FICTION?????

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/2o0V6VPX_E0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

tk13
02-03-2017, 11:07 AM
I'm not opposed to starting a guy his rookie year, but this thread is way slanted because it doesn't show the list of 1st year starting QBs who didn't play well. I'd imagine that's a pretty long list.

Sitting a guy would have way less to do about Alex Smith and more to do with just learning the speed of the game, and more importantly, Reid's offense. That's probably going to be the #1 obstacle to drafting a QB.

St. Patty's Fire
02-03-2017, 11:07 AM

still threw more tds than smith (in less games) with an aids encrusted team

Rasputin
02-03-2017, 12:31 PM

I think Alex Smith would look good in a green uniform.

RippedmyFlesh
02-03-2017, 12:57 PM
David Carr had a terrible offensive line (and team). We don't. Houston was an expansion team

I am so sick of people making that false analogy.

Rasputin
02-03-2017, 01:17 PM
I'm in the camp of if Alex Smith tears his ACL Oh well put the rookie in.

QBotf to start the sooner the better.

We are not be building a team for a Super Bowl until we draft and play our QBotf.

Alex Smith could get concussed game one and I don't want another vet backing him up. So imo Chiefs are best served with a draft pick from early rounds that can pick up the offense and be ready to go. Sure I'd expect growing pains but that can't be anymore painful to watch than one and done's over and over again.

The sooner our QBotf pops his cherry on the gridiron the sooner we are out of purgatory hell.

Mr. Laz
02-03-2017, 02:43 PM
I understand but the concept still applies. You don't just throw a 1st round pick to the wolves. If he is really ready then fine but keeping Smith gives us an option.

Mr. Laz
02-03-2017, 02:49 PM
No, it does not.

Pre June 1

Post June 1

yes, it does.

If if you split it after june 1st, the 10 million dead money still exists.

Keeping Smith for another year is the correct move regardless of whether we draft a QB or not.

1. Smith gives us the option of not playing the rookie if we choose
2. Smith is a great team guy and will help the young guy
3. Alex Smith DO NOT SUCK no matter how many idiots around here try to say that does
4 Alex Smith will even sit on the bench without causing problems if he loses the starting job

The only reason to get rid of Alex Smith is if we use him to get a new QB or use him to get another player, ie trade for Draft Pick.

Rasputin
02-03-2017, 02:59 PM
yes, it does.

If if you split it after june 1st, the 10 million dead money still exists.

Keeping Smith for another year is the correct move regardless of whether we draft a QB or not.

1. Smith gives us the option of not playing the rookie if we choose
2. Smith is a great team guy and will help the young guy
3. Alex Smith DO NOT SUCK no matter how many idiots around here try to say that does
4 Alex Smith will even sit on the bench without causing problems if he loses the starting job

The only reason to get rid of Alex Smith is if we use him to get a new QB or use him to get another player, ie trade for Draft Pick.

Is that too much to ask for? I think that would be a viable means but I don't think we would get a taker to move up the draft for him.

Alex Smith does not suck at not losing playoff games.

RustShack
02-03-2017, 03:01 PM
Obviously it depends on the QB and how ready they are. Typically spread QB's are more of projects and would be better off sitting at first. I'd keep Smith for another year(unless some dip shit is really willing to trade for him), let Bray back him up, and let the rookie sit the year.

Maybe we get "lucky", and Smith gets hurt and Bray lives up to his talent level. Kind of give us a Brees/Rivers or Warner/Green type of situation.

I'm all for gettin Mahomes or Watson on this roster.

Who knows, maybe Smith feels the pressure this year and FINALLY has the balls to make some plays in the air.

notorious
02-03-2017, 03:13 PM
I think Rodgers would have raped during his 1st or 2nd year.

Being stuck on the bench hamstrung the Packers.

kccrow
02-03-2017, 04:20 PM

Learn nothing from Alex. Learn Reid's 977 variations of the bubble screen and the other 573 pages of the playbook, yes. I advocate to restructure and keep Foles at a lesser price in case a rookie wouldn't quite be ready to start the season, but other than that, give the kid the reigns.

BossChief
02-03-2017, 07:03 PM
Only 4 out of those 12 weren't high first round picks.

BossChief
02-03-2017, 07:17 PM

And a defense that limits how much a rookie will need to do to win ball games as well as giving him more opportunities to score by taking the ball back.

Alex did his job. He was brought in to "stabilize the position" (I believe that was their wording) and now it's time to upgrade the position.

Could you imagine this team with Carr, Prescott or Wilson?

Chiefshrink
02-03-2017, 07:22 PM

I like your idea here, but I don't follow college FB. Is Mahomes a legit 1st rndr or a stretch like most draft years pushing up QBs on the draft board that shouldn't have been only to see them bust ?