PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Is Alex Smith good enough to win a Super Bowl? The Experts Weigh In!

Hammock Parties
02-06-2017, 12:21 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/sam-mellinger/article130790654.html

After 12 years in the league, and four in Kansas City, do we know whether Alex Smith is good enough to ever lead the Chiefs to this game?

“Oh, that’s a good question, man,” said Marshall Faulk, the Hall of Fame running back and analyst for NFL Network. “In today’s league, watching what they call a quote-unquote franchise quarterback, it makes you say no.”

This week, I asked seven football men this question — Faulk, Deion Sanders, Kurt Warner, Dick Vermeil, Terrell Davis, Steve Mariucci and Gil Brandt. All but Mariucci have won Super Bowls.

Faulk stood alone in saying no, but the yesses came in varying shades of certainty, from Vermeil (”Yes, no question”) to Sanders (”Yes, but he can’t do it by himself”) to Warner (”Yes, but I believe he has to change the way he plays”).

Actually, Warner gave the most thoughtful and nuanced answer, touching on a thought that several expressed but none articulated quite as well. He said he believes Smith is good enough, but needs to shed some of his natural caution in pursuit of bigger successes.

“You have to be willing to lose games for your team, in order to win games for your team,” he said. “By that I mean, you have to be willing to take chances to make big plays, and you might make more mistakes than he makes, because he does a great job protecting the football. But you have to believe, ‘I’m going to make more big plays that are game-changing type plays, that can help us win against the best teams in the league.’ Especially come playoff time.

“Alex has the ability to do that. I see him do that. But he plays more of a game manager role, instead of saying, ‘It’s going through my right arm.’

“I don’t know. If he never makes that switch as a guy who’s willing to lose games for his team, but more importantly believes he can win games for his team with his right arm, I don’t know if they ever get over that hump.”

At some point, unless the rest of the team is overwhelming, the quarterback is probably going to need to do more than simply not screw up.

“He always takes the side of, ‘I’m not going to make the mistake,’ vs. trying to make the big play,” Davis said. “Part of that is good. But part of it is that’s where the great plays come from, taking those chances.”

The problem with this is the idea that after 136 starts and 4,108 passes Smith is suddenly going to make a drastic change. How often does that happen?

Smith is good enough to win with, but limited enough that Faulk’s and Warner’s analyses ring true to many of us who watch the Chiefs regularly.

Hammock Parties
02-06-2017, 12:24 AM
Faulk, Warner and Davis basically said no. They were just being nice.

Vermeil and Brandt are senile 80-year olds, Mariucci is a buffoon and Deion is a jabbering fool who once said Smith was elite.

Chiefspants
02-06-2017, 12:27 AM
"You have to be willing to lose games for your team in order to win games for your team."

If there was a way to sum up the failure of Kansas City quarterbacks since the 1970's (Montana and perhaps Green excluded), Kurt did just that.

KChiefs1
02-06-2017, 12:27 AM
I'm no expert but no.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Demonpenz
02-06-2017, 12:41 AM
For how much a game manager Alex is he still turns the ball over all the time

Rasputin
02-06-2017, 12:45 AM

I would think that converting 3rd downs to 1st downs would help manage a team to winning but if you are Alex Smith at least you have the luxury of Dustin Colquitt punting so converting third downs just isn't that important.

Hog's Gone Fishin
02-06-2017, 07:01 AM
Can Reid teach our buffoon to look down field and see that open reciever ?

threebag
02-06-2017, 07:36 AM
Perma flush the mult troll - Make CP Great Again

Sandy Vagina
02-06-2017, 09:25 AM
“You have to be willing to lose games for your team, in order to win games for your team,” he said. “By that I mean, you have to be willing to take chances to make big plays, and you might make more mistakes than he makes, because he does a great job protecting the football. But you have to believe, ‘I’m going to make more big plays that are game-changing type plays, that can help us win against the best teams in the league.’ Especially come playoff time.

“Alex has the ability to do that. I see him do that. But he plays more of a game manager role, instead of saying, ‘It’s going through my right arm.’

I will agree with all of this.

The remaining shred of hope I have is that reflecting back on this past season... along with other moments in big games of the past.. Alex will step into 2017 with this attitude.

Maybe he will... maybe it will be the case of can't change a leopard's spots. If he's going to be the starting QB for KC in 2017, I may as well retain that shred of hope that he will take that quote to heart. Doesn't cost me anything to do that.. and I will still hope for the added QBotF regardless.

bricks
02-06-2017, 11:27 AM
After watching Alex Smith play over the years; my judgement of him is that he is a fear dominant character.

Protecting the ball is great and all, but excessive protection of ball spells out that he is afraid to make mistakes. There is that positive correlational relationship between being fearful and conservative. When ones goes up, so does the other.

He may contribute to helping his team win games by not turning the ball over and limiting his mistakes; but he can't take over and win a game by himself because of fear of making mistakes. It's a pure catch 22 we are caught up in.

Worst of all, we have a coach that exacerbates conservative play and reinforces that mentality onto the QB. For this reason, I don't believe Alex Smith will change.

Easy 6
02-06-2017, 11:43 AM
"You have to be willing to lose games for your team in order to win games for your team."

If there was a way to sum up the failure of Kansas City quarterbacks since the 1970's in a single sentence (Montana and perhaps Green excluded), Kurt did just that.

Kurt Warner serving up some wisdom, great quote

NWTF
02-06-2017, 12:01 PM

I think his low turnovers are overrated. Sorry Im just not that impressed when you look at the whole picture. Yes, hes always near the bottom in TOs, which is good, but its only because he takes sacks, throw aways, or check downs that lead to punts to purposely avoid turnovers. Id be way more impressed with his low turnovers if he was a baller that tried to make plays in crucial situations rather than taking the easy way out keep his turnovers down.

Both OBs played exactly 15 games in 2016 both had low INTs. One is in his 3rd year the other in his 12th. Im way more impressed by Carr than Smith. If Smith had close to 30 TDs it would make his low turnovers truly impressive.

Alex Smith 15 TD, 8 INT
Derek Carr 28 TD, 6 INT

Buehler445
02-06-2017, 01:14 PM

If there was a way to sum up the failure of Kansas City quarterbacks since the 1970's in a single sentence (Montana and perhaps Green excluded), Kurt did just that.

Beat me to it. That is a great answer.

Marcellus
02-06-2017, 01:27 PM
Thank God we have yet another Alex Smith thread.

CasselGotPeedOn
02-06-2017, 01:33 PM
Perma flush the mult troll - Make CP Great Again

Clay absolutely owns your soul. It's quite pathetic.

Hammock Parties
02-06-2017, 03:53 PM
Clay absolutely owns your soul. It's quite pathetic.

enjoy the username bud

Sweet Daddy Hate
02-06-2017, 05:08 PM
Perma flush Smith - Make KC Great Again

After watching Alex Smith play over the years; my judgement of him is that he is a fear dominant character.

Protecting the ball is great and all, but excessive protection of ball spells out that he is afraid to make mistakes. There is that positive correlational relationship between being fearful and conservative. When ones goes up, so does the other.

He may contribute to helping his team win games by not turning the ball over and limiting his mistakes; but he can't take over and win a game by himself because of fear of making mistakes. It's a pure catch 22 we are caught up in.

Worst of all, we have a coach that exacerbates conservative play and reinforces that mentality onto the QB. For this reason, I don't believe Alex Smith will change.

It took me about 1.5 seasons to figure the above out. When the situation is tense/crucial, Reid and Smith are their own worst enemies.
Ask yourself this:
If KC's defense and special teams were ranked league average, how many games does KC win in 2016?