PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Chiefs/Patriots 2017 NFL opener?

RunKC
02-14-2017, 11:14 AM
Peter King thinks it's the most likely choice per his MMQB.

King's odds (his opinion):
Chiefs 2-1
Texans 4-1
Falcons 9-2

Get ready to get fucked up the ass again by the NFL boys

The Franchise
02-14-2017, 11:15 AM
No Superbowl rematch?

KINGPIN CHIEFS FAN
02-14-2017, 11:16 AM
Don't worry, Romo has this!

ChiefsCountry
02-14-2017, 11:16 AM
Royals are at home that weekend, so the Chiefs will be on the road to start the season.

jettio
02-14-2017, 11:22 AM
That would be cool. We have to play them at Gillette anyway this year.

RunKC
02-14-2017, 11:22 AM
No Superbowl rematch?

That's what I thought but the season opener gets Elite ratings regardless (bc it's the first game and nobody else is playing yet+new season interest).

Makes sense to try to cash out on another week.

Amnorix
02-14-2017, 11:23 AM
No Superbowl rematch?

Apparently Ron Rivera was VERY annoyed at the SB rematch starting the Panthers season, and down-low blames it for the Panthers having a bad season. You're trying to put this awful, crushing loss behind you, and yet you are staring at the first game of the season all pre-season, and you have to start your season watching film of you losing the SB. Emotionally difficult.

So the thinking is that the NFL won't force the Falcons to do that too, which shifts the focus to someone else. Pretty much comes down to Chiefs or Texans, and with the Texans being roadkill for the Pats twice last year, I think it's almost definitely going to be Chiefs.

Rasputin
02-14-2017, 11:24 AM
Don't worry, Romo has this!

Romo is going be a Patriot and Tom Brady retiring?

notorious
02-14-2017, 11:25 AM
This would be cool.

The Franchise
02-14-2017, 11:26 AM
Apparently Ron Rivera was VERY annoyed at the SB rematch starting the Panthers season, and down-low blames it for the Panthers having a bad season. You're trying to put this awful, crushing loss behind you, and yet you are staring at the first game of the season all pre-season, and you have to start your season watching film of you losing the SB. Emotionally difficult.

So the thinking is that the NFL won't force the Falcons to do that too, which shifts the focus to someone else. Pretty much comes down to Chiefs or Texans, and with the Texans being roadkill for the Pats twice last year, I think it's almost definitely going to be Chiefs.

Sweet. Can't wait to watch Alex Smith shit down his leg in Foxboro to start the season.

Rasputin
02-14-2017, 11:26 AM
No Superbowl rematch?

I always thought they should make the Thanksgiving night game the rematch of the Super Bowl with the winner of SB being the host team. Should make for a good game because the losing team could get their revenge.

Reerun_KC
02-14-2017, 11:27 AM
and if we win, we can talk about that game and how awesome it was, while ignoring the fact we are buttface soup when it really matters...

Would be so epic true fan like...

notorious
02-14-2017, 11:29 AM
NFL will Probably stick the Chiefs in NE home opener then at Dallas the next week.

Mile High Mania
02-14-2017, 11:33 AM
Yeah, I don't see Houston getting that matcup in week 1...

I think Rivera is whining a bit about that game being the reason their season stunk in 2016. I think the NFL should make it the rematch. Can't do the rematch with PIT b/c that game is in PIT.

KC would be the best non-divisional option after ATL, from a ratings perspective. Good luck with all that.

Rasputin
02-14-2017, 11:36 AM
Safety blitz

KC_Lee
02-14-2017, 11:37 AM
Safety blitz

KC takes out Brady's knee again...Garoppolo leads NE to an 11 - 5 season...KC trades away a 1st for Garoppolo in 2018....

The Franchise
02-14-2017, 11:39 AM
KC takes out Brady's knee again...Garoppolo leads NE to an 11 - 5 season...KC trades away a 1st for Garoppolo in 2018....

Garroppolo won't be there next year.

notorious
02-14-2017, 11:39 AM

Sigh.

notorious
02-14-2017, 11:41 AM
How good is NE at getting to the QB? You know, it would be tragic if we lost our starter the first game.

I don't know if I could over it.

Rasputin
02-14-2017, 11:44 AM

And now you know the rest of the story / This is Paul Harvey Good Day!

wazu
02-14-2017, 11:45 AM
Safety blitz

Which team?

Rasputin
02-14-2017, 11:47 AM
Which team?

It was a reference when Bernard Pollard took out Tom Brady knee and then karma bit us in the ass with Matt Cassell

Chiefspants
02-14-2017, 11:48 AM

The Mets were also not thrilled with playing the Royals after getting stormed out in 5 games in the previous World Series.

tk13
02-14-2017, 12:09 PM
The Mets were also not thrilled with playing the Royals after getting stormed out in 5 games in the previous World Series.

At least there the schedule is already set before the previous season ends. It just so happened the playoffs worked out that way. When the NFL does it, it's more intentional. With the way the Falcons lost, I'm sure they don't want to start next season playing the Pats again.
Posted via Mobile Device

'Hamas' Jenkins
02-14-2017, 12:12 PM
NE has to play Pitt next year. I would imagine they would bring in more viewers against NE than the Chiefs would.

Chiefspants
02-14-2017, 12:15 PM
At least there the schedule is already set before the previous season ends. It just so happened the playoffs worked out that way. When the NFL does it, it's more intentional. With the way the Falcons lost, I'm sure they don't want to start next season playing the Pats again.
Posted via Mobile Device

Absolutely, that ended up being the luck of the draw for the MLB (though they may want to avoid starting the season with interleague matchups).

Amnorix
02-14-2017, 12:17 PM
NE has to play Pitt next year. I would imagine they would bring in more viewers against NE than the Chiefs would.

SB winner always opens at home on a Thursday. Been a tradition since after the Pats won in either '03 or '04. Think it was '04.

Steelers game is in Pittsburgh, so that won't be opening night.

Options are limited to:

Chiefs
Falcons
Jets (no)
Dolphins (no)
Bills (no)
Texans
Chargers
Panthers

Panthers is interesting. Rivers was apparently pissed he had to start this year playing the SB champs, so hard to imagine the NFL does it to him again, BUT the REASON he was mad -- apparently -- was that it forced his team to relive the prior year's SB loss. That isn't applicable now...

The Franchise
02-14-2017, 12:18 PM
SB winner always opens at home on a Thursday. Been a tradition since after the Pats won in either '03 or '04. Think it was '04.

Options are limited to:

Chiefs
Falcons
Jets (no)
Dolphins (no)
Bills (no)
Texans
Chargers
Panthers

Panthers is interesting. Rivers was apparently pissed he had to start this year playing the SB champs, so hard to imagine the NFL does it to him again, BUT the REASON he was mad -- apparently -- was that it forced his team to relive the prior year's SB loss. That isn't applicable now...

I could see maybe the Chargers. Try and drum up interest in the whole LA move.

O.city
02-14-2017, 12:19 PM
I'd rather play them early, get it out of the way before our inevitable rash of injuries hit.

'Hamas' Jenkins
02-14-2017, 12:22 PM

Options are limited to:

Chiefs
Falcons
Jets (no)
Dolphins (no)
Bills (no)
Texans
Chargers
Panthers

Makes sense, then. I didn't know that H/A were set that far in advance.

Amnorix
02-14-2017, 12:24 PM

Yeah, maybe. Not impossible. And Rivers is a solid QB. The issue is that more than likely that game won't be competitive, and generally the NFL wants to start with a pretty solid game if it can.

But there's way more to it than "let's make the first game competitive".

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1606598-how-is-the-nfl-schedule-created

Hammock Parties
02-14-2017, 12:24 PM
Good. An early test. You have to beat the best to be the best.

thabear04
02-14-2017, 12:27 PM
Last time Chiefs play Patriots in the opener Brady went down can we have a repeat.

DC.chief
02-14-2017, 12:31 PM
https://media.giphy.com/media/R24jTlqkI9Ny8/giphy.gif

Chiefspants
02-14-2017, 12:33 PM
Last time Chiefs play Patriots in the opener Brady went down can we have a repeat.

And get Matt Cassel 2.0? Too many of us have short memories.

Reerun_KC
02-14-2017, 12:46 PM
I'd rather play them early, get it out of the way before our inevitable rash of injuries hit.

This....

We need our annual participation trophy game to celebrate....

Amnorix
02-14-2017, 12:46 PM
Makes sense, then. I didn't know that H/A were set that far in advance.

Yep. 14 of the 16 games are locked up for every team, each year. Below are the 2018 and 2019 Chiefs schedules. Note that a reference to a division (e.g. AFC South) means that the Chiefs will play the team from that division that finishes in the same place the Chiefs finished the third year. If the Chiefs win the AFCW, then you play the winners of the AFCS (home) and AFCE (away) in '18.

Home
Denver
Oakland
LA Chargers
Baltimore
Cincinnati
Arizona
San Francisco
AFC South

Away
Denver
Oakland
LA Chargers
Cleveland
Pittsburgh
LA Rams
Seattle
AFC East

And 2019

Home
Denver
Oakland
LA Chargers
Houston
Indianapolis
Green Bay
Minnesota
AFC North

Away
Denver
Oakland
LA Chargers
Jacksonville
Tennessee
Chicago
Detroit
AFC East

tk13
02-14-2017, 12:48 PM
Good. An early test. You have to beat the best to be the best.

Considering how the Chiefs have played under Reid, they have no problem beating the eventual Super Bowl teams. It's the letdown games in between that kill us.

Pasta Little Brioni
02-14-2017, 12:49 PM
It will be Atlanta.

RippedmyFlesh
02-14-2017, 12:54 PM

I agree for a different reason. They tend to get on a roll as the season goes on so I want them early before that happens.

Amnorix
02-14-2017, 12:55 PM
I agree for a different reason. They tend to get on a roll as the season goes on so I want them early before that happens.

When we win Super Bowls, yes. But in 2015 we were 10-0 to start the season, but as the injuries mounted went 3-5 the rest of the way.

gold_and_red
02-14-2017, 12:56 PM
Considering how the SB played out it will be Atlanta.
Expecting Chiefs-Pats to be a primetime game, could be late in the season if the NFL thinks this will have HFA implications.

Bugeater
02-14-2017, 01:02 PM
Considering how the Chiefs have played under Reid, they have no problem beating the eventual Super Bowl teams. It's the letdown games in between that kill us.
And those pesky playoff games.

Rooster
02-14-2017, 01:03 PM
KC vs Pats for a repeat of the AFC Championship Game!! Oh wait.... :(

gold_and_red
02-14-2017, 01:07 PM
Typical Chiefs discussion. Never good enough to host the Thursday night opener, always excited about playing the real teams tough.

Discuss Thrower
02-14-2017, 01:10 PM

Options are limited to:

Chiefs
Falcons
Jets (no)
Dolphins (no)
Bills (no)
Texans
Chargers
Panthers

You're forgetting when the SB champ Ravens had to open up on the road in Denver.

EDIT: Also, the home or away typically follows the pattern they've laid out in advance but the NFL has definitely flipped it from the proscribed split in some cases.

Amnorix
02-14-2017, 01:27 PM
You're forgetting when the SB champ Ravens had to open up on the road in Denver.

Solely due to a conflict with the Orioles. The NFL and Ravens were not happy about it.

The Baltimore Ravens and the NFL were unable to get the Baltimore Orioles, a baseball team with whom the Ravens share parking space with, and Major League Baseball to agree to move the start time of a game the Orioles have with the White Sox that evening, meaning the defending Super Bowl champions will be playing the league's season-opening game for the first time since the NFL starting putting the defending champs into a Thursday primetime game to start the year in 2002.

It goes all the way back to 1996, the last time the defending champs opened the season on the road. The Dallas Cowboys, fresh off defeating the Steelers in Super Bowl XXX, opened the season at Chicago.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2013/3/23/4138390/ravens-will-play-on-the-road-after-super-bowl-win

EDIT: Also, the home or away typically follows the pattern they've laid out in advance but the NFL has definitely flipped it from the proscribed split in some cases.

Yes, but extremely rarely.

Discuss Thrower
02-14-2017, 01:29 PM
Solely due to a conflict with the Orioles. The NFL and Ravens were not happy about it.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2013/3/23/4138390/ravens-will-play-on-the-road-after-super-bowl-win

Yes, but extremely rarely.

Just saying I don't see it being a foregone conclusion that the Pats will travel to Heinz Field this year quite yet.

Stinger
02-14-2017, 01:36 PM
Yep. 14 of the 16 games are locked up for every team, each year. Below are the 2018 and 2019 Chiefs schedules. Note that a reference to a division (e.g. AFC South) means that the Chiefs will play the team from that division that finishes in the same place the Chiefs finished the third year. If the Chiefs win the AFCW, then you play the winners of the AFCS (home) and AFCE (away) in '18.

Home
Denver
Oakland
LA Chargers
Baltimore
Cincinnati
Arizona
San Francisco
AFC South

Away
Denver
Oakland
LA Chargers
Cleveland
Pittsburgh
LA Rams
Seattle
AFC East

And 2019

Home
Denver
Oakland
LA Chargers
Houston
Indianapolis
Green Bay
Minnesota
AFC North

Away
Denver
Oakland
LA Chargers
Jacksonville
Tennessee
Chicago
Detroit
AFC East

In 2018 just go ahead and put in the Houston Texans from the AFC South, and the Buffalo Bills from the AFC East in 2018 and 2019. Seems like we play these teams every year, almost like we are in the same division.

Hammock Parties
02-14-2017, 01:37 PM

Alex Smith is 10-17 against playoff teams with the Chiefs.

4 of those wins are against Michael Vick, Brian Hoyer and Landry Jones.

I'm waiting to be impressed.

Amnorix
02-14-2017, 01:52 PM
Just saying I don't see it being a foregone conclusion that the Pats will travel to Heinz Field this year quite yet.

I'd be pretty surprised if they flip it to Foxboro. VERY surprised. Shocked, actually.

Mile High Mania
02-14-2017, 02:39 PM
I'd be pretty surprised if they flip it to Foxboro. VERY surprised. Shocked, actually.

Yeah, I think you can rest assured... they're not flipping the location of that game. ROFL

Rooster
02-14-2017, 04:03 PM
In 2018 just go ahead and put in the Houston Texans from the AFC South, and the Buffalo Bills from the AFC East in 2018 and 2019. Seems like we play these teams every year, almost like we are in the same division.

No shit. It's crazy.

Kman34
02-14-2017, 04:11 PM
Do you think Houston can cover Edelman? It will be a tough matchup for him...

Spott
02-14-2017, 04:43 PM
We will lose that game whenever we play them, but at least they'd have a few extra days to prepare for week 2 if this does happen.

displacedinMN
02-14-2017, 06:34 PM

Yes, and the other teams in those divisions are just bad. exception-pats.

HemiEd
02-14-2017, 07:00 PM
We seen this ugly scene before.

KChiefs1
02-14-2017, 07:11 PM
It's going to be Atlanta at New England guaranteed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tk13
02-14-2017, 07:11 PM
Alex Smith is 10-17 against playoff teams with the Chiefs.

4 of those wins are against Michael Vick, Brian Hoyer and Landry Jones.

I'm waiting to be impressed.

The Chiefs had the best strength of victory of any team in this year's playoffs.

pugsnotdrugs19
02-14-2017, 07:25 PM
Probably an L regardless of when the game is played.

GloryDayz
02-14-2017, 08:31 PM

I agree. Or the Texans, for the whole JJ coming back thing.

Deberg_1990
02-14-2017, 08:32 PM
Chiefs 17

Pats 30

jjchieffan
02-14-2017, 08:53 PM

Panthers is interesting. Rivers was apparently pissed he had to start this year playing the SB champs, so hard to imagine the NFL does it to him again, BUT the REASON he was mad -- apparently -- was that it forced his team to relive being forced to throw the prior year's Superfarce. That isn't applicable now...

FYP

Hoover
02-14-2017, 09:04 PM
This would be awesome.

I'm all for it.

philfree
02-14-2017, 09:32 PM
For the opener or the home opener I can see a Chiefs Raiders game. Maybe even a prime time game. Old AFCW rivals fighting for the AFCW title seems marketable to me. Chiefs Raiders open Sunday Night on the left coast.

Pasta Little Brioni
02-14-2017, 09:44 PM
It's going to be Atlanta at New England guaranteed.

That's the word

NJChiefsFan
02-14-2017, 09:49 PM

LMAO

Why Not?
02-14-2017, 10:09 PM
It's a regular season game that really doesn't mean a whole lot against a better team. This has Chiefs 37-17 written all over it. If they play again in January, you can flip that score.

TigeRRUppeRRcut
02-14-2017, 11:21 PM

Better question is do you think Eric Berry brings help or does he leave Houston on that island by himself again?

bdj23
02-15-2017, 12:16 AM
Open up to a thumping, that way i can temper any expectations for our inevitable choke job.

CasselGotPeedOn
02-15-2017, 12:27 AM
FYP

Yikes.

BossChief
02-15-2017, 07:57 AM
I hope they do make that the opener.

We have to play them in Gillette this year, might as well have it be the opener so the team prepares for a true test right away.

If the goal is to go to a superbowl, the teams gonna have to go to NE to do so.

Set the tone early.

ThaVirus
02-15-2017, 11:02 AM
Starting out 0-1. Awesome.

New World Order
02-15-2017, 12:13 PM
Yeah, I don't see Houston getting that matcup in week 1...

I think Rivera is whining a bit about that game being the reason their season stunk in 2016. I think the NFL should make it the rematch. Can't do the rematch with PIT b/c that game is in PIT.

KC would be the best non-divisional option after ATL, from a ratings perspective. Good luck with all that.

Thanks MHM, you're a good friend.

Titty Meat
02-15-2017, 01:07 PM
Atlanta would we way more entertaining, who wants to watch a qb (smith) try not to lose against Brady.

KChiefs1
02-15-2017, 01:21 PM

Andy's teams are always poor starters.

Pasta Little Brioni
02-15-2017, 03:32 PM

Who? The Pats are playing Atlanta.

Renegade
02-15-2017, 03:48 PM
I say we play at Steelers opening weekend

Mile High Mania
02-15-2017, 07:44 PM
I wonder if Denver will open at home... doubt it would be divisional, we know the Patriots are out. Jets, Cowboys, Giants or Bengals...

NFL loves Denver, so Jets @ Denver in week 1.

Home opponents: Chiefs, Raiders, Chargers, Patriots, Jets, Cowboys, Giants, Bengals
Away opponents: Chiefs, Raiders, Chargers, Bills, Dolphins, Eagles, Redskins, Colts

Sandy Vagina
02-15-2017, 07:48 PM
WTF would be the difference anyway. CP says we won't win in the playoffs anyway, so doesn't matter when, against who, or how often we lose in the regular season.

GloryDayz
02-15-2017, 07:51 PM
I wonder if Denver will open at home... doubt it would be divisional, we know the Patriots are out. Jets, Cowboys, Giants or Bengals...

NFL loves Denver, so Jets @ Denver in week 1.

Home opponents: Chiefs, Raiders, Chargers, Patriots, Jets, Cowboys, Giants, Bengals
Away opponents: Chiefs, Raiders, Chargers, Bills, Dolphins, Eagles, Redskins, Colts

Well your owner is respected, so it's hardly unexpected.. We, on the other hand, have an uphill battle in that regard.

Why Not?
02-15-2017, 10:21 PM
WTF would be the difference anyway. History says we won't win in the playoffs anyway, so doesn't matter when, against who, or how often we lose in the regular season.

You accidentally spelled history as CP. Fixed it for you.

Hootie
02-15-2017, 11:10 PM
we'd lose this game like 38-13 and everyone would melt down

and then probably rattle off like 4 straight

rabblerouser
02-16-2017, 07:28 AM
Peter King thinks it's the most likely choice per his MMQB.

King's odds (his opinion):
Chiefs 2-1
Texans 4-1
Falcons 9-2

Get ready to get ****ed up the ass again by the NFL boys
Oh come on - we'll beat the pants off those queers in the regular season.

Not in the playoffs.

Playoffs??! PLAYOFFS!!?

rabblerouser
02-16-2017, 07:33 AM
WTF would be the difference anyway. Anyone with a brain knows that we won't win against NE or Pitt in the playoffs again anyway, so it doesn't matter when, against who, or how often we lose in the regular season.
FYP for total accuracy