PDA

View Full Version : Weather Southern Californians - Rain Question

Rain Man
02-17-2017, 06:09 PM
I'm supposed to fly into Orange County tomorrow and drive to Palm Desert straight from the airport. The airline says that the flight is looking to be fine, but what do you think about the road conditions driving out of town? It looks like a whole lot of rain and flash floor warnings, and Big Bear is supposed to get epic rain.

I can switch flights and fly into Phoenix, eating about $300 in rental car costs. For $300 I can drive in the rain a couple of hours, but I don't want to die in a flooded river or anything. That's not worth $300.

Advice? What do you think about road conditions?

The Franchise
02-17-2017, 06:13 PM
I live in Northern California....and you should be fine.

lewdog
02-17-2017, 06:18 PM
I live in Phoenix.....and you should be fine.

Nickhead
02-17-2017, 06:19 PM
according to this guy, you should be prepared

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/MdOIuD8Xn_o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

:D

displacedinMN
02-17-2017, 06:51 PM
Just enjoy the In N Out Burgers. And say hi to my FIL in Indio.

kysirsoze
02-17-2017, 06:57 PM
You're not going to be driving through the city on surface streets (much) or through the canyons. I can't see how you'd hit dangerous flooding between the airport and Palm Desert. Should be fine.

Bearcat
02-17-2017, 06:58 PM
Just enjoy the In N Out Burgers. And say hi to my FIL in Indio.

Tried it for the first time a couple months ago and don't get the extreme love for it... burger was pretty good, fries were completely bland. I'll go back again for the burger, but just find it odd when it's someone's first stop after landing in the region.

The Habit > In N Out

listopencil
02-17-2017, 07:04 PM
I'm in NorCal. It's raining here a lot, flooding, and one of our dams broke. But SoCal should be fine.

Chiefshrink
02-17-2017, 07:08 PM
I don't know Rain ? Check this vid out at the 20 sec mark and then this could be you at the 1:40 mark.:hmmm:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/W2bOT9rCNh4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

displacedinMN
02-17-2017, 07:14 PM
You're not going to be driving through the city on surface streets (much) or through the canyons. I can't see how you'd hit dangerous flooding between the airport and Palm Desert. Should be fine.

Thinking the same thing.
Californians/rain don't mix. It is just funny.

displacedinMN
02-17-2017, 07:16 PM
Tried it for the first time a couple months ago and don't get the extreme love for it... burger was pretty good, fries were completely bland. I'll go back again for the burger, but just find it odd when it's someone's first stop after landing in the region.

The Habit > In N Out

We flew into LAX once. Went to INO by LAX. it was a 45 min wait to get to the drive through order line.

Drove to NBC and BOOM- gold! I like it. It is different than anything here.

kysirsoze
02-17-2017, 08:02 PM
Thinking the same thing.
Californians/rain don't mix. It is just funny.

Just left the apartment for the first time today. It's a warzone out there. Downed trees in the street, blocks without power... Total mess.

Still shouldn't affect a drive from John Wayne to Palm Desert.

kysirsoze
02-17-2017, 08:03 PM
Well, maybe check your flight status...

Travelers deal with flights canceled at John Wayne Airport due to storm (http://www.ocregister.com/articles/flights-744344-canceled-airport.html)

Why Not?
02-17-2017, 08:03 PM
Chances are you're good, but that's the thing about rain out west. It can be really unpredictable and fuck stuff up. Fly to Phoenix, hang out we me and edave and lewdog instead

lewdog
02-17-2017, 08:08 PM
Also, In-N-Out is definitely over-rated. Bearcat is right. The most terrible fast food fries you've ever tasted. I don't get the love.

Bearcat
02-17-2017, 08:15 PM
Also, In-N-Out is definitely over-rated. Bearcat is right. The most terrible fast food fries you've ever tasted. I don't get the love.

"Tasted" is even a stretch. Good fries shouldn't require any ketchup/bbq/etc; their fries alone are pointless.

Seriously though, if you haven't tried The Habit, there are a few around Phoenix, too.

Why Not?
02-17-2017, 08:21 PM

Agreed. Disgusting.

The Franchise
02-17-2017, 08:25 PM

Animal style.

In58men
02-17-2017, 08:45 PM
I live in SoCal and I think you'll be washed away by our treacherous storms of death.

lewdog
02-17-2017, 08:48 PM
Animal style.

Better but dry, skinny sticks of unflavored potato sat below that layer. Terrible.

sd4chiefs
02-17-2017, 08:48 PM
You should be fine. The heavy rain should be over by then.

Hog's Gone Fishin
02-17-2017, 08:54 PM
I don't know Rain ? Check this vid out at the 20 sec mark and then this could be you at the 1:40 mark.:hmmm:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/W2bOT9rCNh4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Debby Downer !

Go for it Rain , You only live once and you survived Africa. This is nothing ,

unless you don't have a boat!

In58men
02-17-2017, 09:02 PM

The Habit > In N Out

Burger is fantastic. Some people get it monkey style, but I'm not trying to die. There fries do suck, but getting those animal style makes them better. I can't do monkey style burger and animal fries, it's too much.

sd4chiefs
02-17-2017, 09:16 PM
IT'S THE END OF THE WORLD!!! :deevee: This storm is so bad right now it knock out my Directv signal. That has never happen in ten years.

sd4chiefs
02-17-2017, 09:17 PM
IT'S THE END OF THE WORLD!!! :deevee: This storm is so bad right now it knock out my Directv signal. That has never happen in ten years.

Oh wait. Never mind. It's working now.

Rain Man
02-17-2017, 09:18 PM
Okay, that's it. I'm going in. Someone hold my beer.

ping2000
02-17-2017, 09:25 PM
Been a long time since I lived in Redondo Beach. Best Burger I had while I was in LA was Tommyburger. Chilli burger was awesome. You could feel your arteries clogging though.

cdcox
02-17-2017, 09:28 PM

The 1:40 mark was epic:

1. Puts car into reverse LMAO
2. "What should I do?"

Squalor2
02-17-2017, 09:42 PM
youll be fine. you are RAINman for cryin out loud. get a car with a surfboard strapped on top just to be sure though.

BlackHelicopters
02-18-2017, 08:42 AM
Californians need to sack up. A little rain and the place goes nuts. Actually they are already nuts, rain just makes them go more nuts.

lewdog
02-18-2017, 09:51 AM
People reported dead from the rain. Hopefully not Rainman.

DJJasonp
02-18-2017, 10:10 AM
If you made it.....and want good mexican food in Palm Desert - La Casita is really good. There are two locations in palm desert.

Really good food, and monster margaritas too!

And yeah - I'm a so-cal guy, but In N Out is a tad overrated. I think it's the copious amounts of cheese on the burgers that make people tend to love it!

lewdog
02-18-2017, 11:31 AM
If you made it.....and want good mexican food in Palm Desert - La Casita is really good. There are two locations in palm desert.

Really good food, and monster margaritas too!

And yeah - I'm a so-cal guy, but In N Out is a tad overrated. I think it's the copious amounts of cheese on the burgers that make people tend to love it!

Dude, it's likely Rainman has been hurt. It's likely he's not eating right now.

scho63
02-18-2017, 11:31 AM
Anyone heard from Rainman?

Come in Rainman, come in? You there Rainman?

https://www.phactual.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/a338.jpg

Chiefshrink
02-18-2017, 01:33 PM
The 1:40 mark was epic:

1. Puts car into reverse LMAO
2. "What should I do?"

Yeah, some people when they panic just lose all sensibility:hmmm:

Chiefshrink
02-18-2017, 01:35 PM
Debby Downer !

Go for it Rain , You only live once and you survived Africa. This is nothing ,

unless you don't have a boat!

Okay, that's it. I'm going in. Someone hold my beer.

Atta boy !!!:thumb:

19now11
02-18-2017, 02:02 PM
im from norcal and say you will be fine in the south. with that said, i went to kc this year for a game and can say in and out is 5x better than 3 guys. the fries however need to be bannned.

wazu
02-18-2017, 02:05 PM
Aerial footage of Rainman's rental:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/gqsGrY-0HS4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

listopencil
02-18-2017, 05:46 PM
Californians need to sack up. A little rain and the place goes nuts. Actually they are already nuts, rain just makes them go more nuts.

Here's a picture taken on I-5. It's a major freeway that runs North/South through the interior of California:

http://static.lakana.com/bmg-krcrtv-media-us-east-1/photo/2017/02/18/I5%20near%20Willows%20-%20Diana%20Lynn_1487442807482_5901445_ver1.0_640_360.jpg

mikeyis4dcats.
02-18-2017, 05:50 PM

I was very underwhelmed by in n out. Seemed just like very freshly made sonic.

scho63
02-18-2017, 06:15 PM
RAINMAN FOUND! :clap:

http://cdn.newsapi.com.au/image/v1/9c6f3f2df3714a7daf89b42236342188?width=1024

Rain Man
02-19-2017, 01:30 PM
Well, that was an overrated flood. I had to use the windshield wipers a few times.

Palm Desert is a very nice town, by the way.

We did have a few minutes of wicked turbulence coming in on the flight, though. Worst I've been in for a long time, but it didn't last long.

scho63
02-19-2017, 01:40 PM
Well, that was an overrated flood. I had to use the windshield wipers a few times.

Palm Desert is a very nice town, by the way.

We did have a few minutes of wicked turbulence coming in on the flight, though. Worst I've been in for a long time, but it didn't last long.

DAMN YOUR ALIVE! I LOST MY BET IN THE CP RAINMAN DEAD POOL! :D

Psyko Tek
02-19-2017, 09:58 PM

The Habit > In N Out

animal style

listopencil
02-20-2017, 04:13 AM
animal style

Fixes the fries as well. Double double, animal style including the fries.

Nickel D
02-21-2017, 06:29 PM
Well...at least when you died in a flooded river, that $300 from your final estate would get us quite a bit of Joe's Barbecue comfort food to enjoy.

Rain Man
02-21-2017, 11:18 PM
Well...at least when you died in a flooded river, that $300 from your final estate would get us quite a bit of Joe's Barbecue comfort food to enjoy.

It's all about risk calculation. Now that I've survived, that $300 is money in the bank instead of additional EBITDA for Alamo Rent-A-Car. I'll put it to good use.

New World Order
02-21-2017, 11:19 PM

Agree about the fries.

But the burgers are damn good.

Ming the Merciless
02-28-2017, 08:34 PM
according to this guy, you should be prepared

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/MdOIuD8Xn_o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

:D

I was in that storm, driving. They get 2 incheds down there and several Darwin award winners die ...people freak out....

You'll be fine.

Rain Man
02-28-2017, 08:41 PM
I was in that storm, driving. They get 2 incheds down there and several Darwin award winners die ...people freak out....

You'll be fine.

It was an epic trip that required using windshield wipers a few times.

And for the record, I didn't eat at In-N-Out, but I ate at Five Guys, and they offer a darn good burger and fries, albeit at the cost of terrible ambiance.

lewdog
02-28-2017, 08:47 PM

And for the record, I didn't eat at In-N-Out, but I ate at Five Guys, and they offer a darn good burger and fries, albeit at the cost of terrible ambiance.

You had never had 5 guys before then?

Bearcat
02-28-2017, 08:52 PM

That's one problem I have with In-N-Out here, there's a Five Guys across the street and they use bacon...

Fixes the fries as well. Double double, animal style including the fries.

...but, I did opt for In-N-Out the other day, mentioned animal style, and the whole thing was worse. The fries weren't even topped with anything as they should have been (it was on the receipt, but maybe they forgot :shrug: ), and they seemed old/stale and lacking just as much flavor as before (I had some Sriracha mayo, which helped).... and the burger wasn't as good as before either (and it was pretty good the first time). And on top of that, the only reason I went there was due to laziness and wanting to get home, and I sat at the drive-thru window for a good 5 minutes after I paid, so I might as well have gone to Five Guys. :banghead:

Rain Man
02-28-2017, 09:00 PM
You had never had 5 guys before then?

I had it once before on a trip to Texas, but didn't really remember much about it. There are apparently four of their restaurants in the Denver metro area, but they're out in suburbs for the most part and I very seldom venture out to the suburbs.

BWillie
02-28-2017, 09:01 PM
5 Guys > Inn & Out. Oh wait sorry. In-N-Out

It's not bad, but their fries are just shit compared to other burger places. 5 guys has great burgers, just wish a fast food type place would cook them medium rather than all of them well done.

lewdog
02-28-2017, 09:03 PM

It's not bad, but their fries are just shit compared to other burger places. 5 guys has great burgers, just wish a fast food type place would cook them medium rather than all of them well done.

I'm a big 5 guys fan as well. Like their cajun fries.

Fuck In-N-out and those shit fries. Worthless.

Rain Man
02-28-2017, 09:03 PM
That's one problem I have with In-N-Out here, there's a Five Guys across the street and they use bacon...

I really think that architecture schools should teach students about interactions between chairs and floors. Every time someone pulled or pushed a chair in this Five Guys, it was as if a thousand bald eagles screeched in unison.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/9RArGl2vkGI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Bearcat
02-28-2017, 09:06 PM

And you get like 3 pounds of fries at 5 Guys... I've learned my lesson, In-N-Out's burger was good enough to give them a 2nd chance, but no reason to keep going back when there are much better options like 5 Guys and The Habit.

lewdog
02-28-2017, 09:08 PM
And you get like 3 pounds of fries at 5 Guys... I've learned my lesson, In-N-Out's burger was good enough to give them a 2nd chance, but no reason to keep going back when there are much better options like 5 Guys and The Habit.

People say Smashburger is also near the top of the list. I haven't had that or The Habit yet though.

Soon.........

Bearcat
02-28-2017, 09:10 PM
I really think that architecture schools should teach students about interactions between chairs and floors. Every time someone pulled or pushed a chair in this Five Guys, it was as if a thousand bald eagles screeched in unison.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/9RArGl2vkGI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

That's pretty close. LMAO

1) Buy a lot of furniture mover pad things
2) Go to restaurants, fix people's chairs when you hear the screech
3) Sell them to impressed restaurant managers
4) Profit.

Couch-Potato
02-28-2017, 09:13 PM
bahahahahahahahahahahahha!!!!! It doesn't REALLY rain in SoCal. Been here 10 years and we're having more rain than all other 9 years combined (Cloud Seeding), but it's still not the type of rain from back home in KC. Nothing to worry about. Ever.

Bearcat
02-28-2017, 09:14 PM
People say Smashburger is also near the top of the list. I haven't had that or The Habit yet though.

Soon.........

Hmm, their menu looks good... BBQ sauce and bacon, jalapeno and pepper jack, even buffalo sauce and blue cheese. And they're all over Phoenix, I'll have to give them a shot.

Bearcat
02-28-2017, 09:17 PM
Hmm, their menu looks good... BBQ sauce and bacon, jalapeno and pepper jack, even buffalo sauce and blue cheese. And they're all over Phoenix, I'll have to give them a shot.

Oooh, and spicy buffalo fries and fried pickles... when do they close? :hmmm:

lewdog
02-28-2017, 09:21 PM
Oooh, and spicy buffalo fries and fried pickles... when do they close? :hmmm:

Wife tells me they are the best.

I'm wondering when she went there without me?!?! :cuss:

Bearcat
03-04-2017, 06:50 PM
Wife tells me they are the best.

I'm wondering when she went there without me?!?! :cuss:

Smashburger is very good... had the Arizona burger (guac, jalapenos, pepperjack, etc) and smash sweet potato fries. They have a few other burgers/sides that I'd like to try.

And they make the whole In-N-Out thing even more baffling... every other place I try knocks them down another notch. They're now a pretty distant 4th, and probably only because I've only been to 4 burger joints around here.

listopencil
03-04-2017, 08:59 PM
Smashburger is very good... had the Arizona burger (guac, jalapenos, pepperjack, etc) and smash sweet potato fries. They have a few other burgers/sides that I'd like to try.

And they make the whole In-N-Out thing even more baffling... every other place I try knocks them down another notch. They're now a pretty distant 4th, and probably only because I've only been to 4 burger joints around here.

The worst thing about In-N-Out is that I can't actually go through one to get food. It is always swamped at every hour of operation every time I drive by one. Which is crazy, because they aren't that good, just better tasting burgers than the larger fast food places and the prices are decent.

Rain Man
03-04-2017, 09:06 PM
I'm cooking a homemade burger right now. Well, two of them to be honest. They're going to be good, but my concern is that I accidentally bought a barbecue sauce that has some sort of hot thai chile in it. I'm going to give it one more try, but I suspect I'll abandon it and go to my backup barbecue sauce.

lewdog
03-04-2017, 10:24 PM

So did we eat Smashburger on the same day?

Because we went today for lunch. Definitely beats In-N-Shit burgers and fries. I had their classic burger but will go back sometime and try some other toppings. We had their smash rosemary fries and they were good. Still think 5 guys fries are my favorite of all.

Bearcat
03-04-2017, 10:45 PM
So did we eat Smashburger on the same day?

Because we went today for lunch. Definitely beats In-N-Shit burgers and fries. I had their classic burger but will go back sometime and try some other toppings. We had their smash rosemary fries and they were good. Still think 5 guys fries are my favorite of all.

Yeah.. and I actually saw a black Mustang GT park near me when I was leaving, but it was a convertible.

lewdog
03-04-2017, 10:52 PM
Yeah.. and I actually saw a black Mustang GT park near me when I was leaving, but it was a convertible.

I rarely take her out on the weekends. Especially not to a crowded parking lot by a burger joint, where some fat cow will fling her door open in a haste to feed her face.

The Habit is next on my list.

Why Not?
03-04-2017, 10:59 PM
I rarely take her out on the weekends. Especially not to a crowded parking lot by a burger joint, where some fat cow will fling her door open in a haste to feed her face.

You better have eaten at Chuckbox by now

Bearcat
03-04-2017, 11:07 PM

Heh, the threat is real.

I'll be down there once again next week for the Royals/Dodgers... any non-hamburger joint lunch suggestions in that area?

lewdog
03-05-2017, 12:53 PM
You better have eaten at Chuckbox by now

I'm too old to go into Tempe anymore.

Heh, the threat is real.

I'll be down there once again next week for the Royals/Dodgers... any non-hamburger joint lunch suggestions in that area?

Not sure about a ton of stuff up there, but we like the Irish Wolfhound for good eats and drinks in that area.

listopencil
03-05-2017, 05:00 PM
I'm cooking a homemade burger right now. Well, two of them to be honest. They're going to be good, but my concern is that I accidentally bought a barbecue sauce that has some sort of hot thai chile in it. I'm going to give it one more try, but I suspect I'll abandon it and go to my backup barbecue sauce.

Mix it with ketchup and ranch dressing then try again?

lewdog
03-05-2017, 05:07 PM
I love how a thread on CP about driving in the rain in California, can turn into a burger thread.

Rain Man
03-05-2017, 05:09 PM
Mix it with ketchup and ranch dressing then try again?

I discovered the secret, which is to use it very sparingly. Rather than slather it all over the burger, bun, plate, and table like I normally do, I just put a very small amount on the burger, and it was quite tasty. A little flavor went a long way.

Rain Man
03-05-2017, 05:10 PM
I love how a thread on CP about driving in the rain in California, can turn into a burger thread.

My priorities have shifted now that I'm home again, so I'm okay with it.

Why Not?
03-06-2017, 12:31 AM
I'm too old to go into Tempe anymore.

Ain't that the truth! Same here. Yet I found myself with the Mrs. at Culinary Dropout Friday night. Had 10 years easy on every other patron I could see

listopencil
03-06-2017, 02:35 AM
I discovered the secret, which is to use it very sparingly. Rather than slather it all over the burger, bun, plate, and table like I normally do, I just put a very small amount on the burger, and it was quite tasty. A little flavor went a long way.

Ah, yeah. I used to keep a bottle of Dave's Insanity Sauce on hand. Hot sauce based on the habanero pepper. The flavor was incredible but the heat was a bit much. Used literally one small drop on a large burrito and it was probably too hot. I added three drops to a big pot of chili once and it had everybody's sinuses clearing out when they ate. I brought it to work one day and some super macho guy borrowed some. He almost threw up. Portion control is key.