PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Dontari Poe: Deal Watch Thread

Pages : [1] 2

Dante84
02-28-2017, 06:13 PM
ESPN's Ed Werder:

"His numbers have dropped off considerably in recent years, but he's still a unique player. As of last night, the Chiefs had been in contact with him, they were having negotiations, but they were not close to a deal. At that point, there was still no discussion if they would franchise him if they got the Berry deal done."

"The Berry deal give the Chiefs all the leverage in the world with Dontari Poe."

So, do we:

Sign to an extension

Franchise Tag

Let him walk to FA

The Franchise
02-28-2017, 06:14 PM
If they're going to slap him with a tag....hopefully it's the transition tag. And even then....I'd rather they not.

Dante84
02-28-2017, 06:15 PM
Any cap guys have updates they can share as to where we stand post-Berry and post-Charles?

RunKC
02-28-2017, 06:16 PM
Hoping this turns out like Jaye Howard's deal last year. If not, I'm fine with a 3rd rd comp pick.

Nickhead
02-28-2017, 06:16 PM
poe: so whats the contract offer?

dorsey: go see berry for a loan!

ROFL

milkman
02-28-2017, 06:20 PM
Let him walk.

Hoover
02-28-2017, 06:20 PM
Let him walk

raybec 4
02-28-2017, 06:21 PM
I really don't see him being worth the money to put the exclusive tag on him.

mcaj22
02-28-2017, 06:21 PM
that 3rd comp pick we would get in 2018 would be tasty just in time for the post Smith era

mnchiefsguy
02-28-2017, 06:28 PM
As much as I like Poe, I think you let him walk.

TEX
02-28-2017, 06:30 PM
I hope they find a way to keep him.

tmax63
02-28-2017, 07:11 PM
I think they try to work something out but I'm not sure he's worth the tag # since his back troubles.

TigeRRUppeRRcut
02-28-2017, 07:14 PM
Franchise tag Colquitt ROFL

...But really

Sassy Squatch
02-28-2017, 07:16 PM
What would the tag #s be?

pugsnotdrugs19
02-28-2017, 07:17 PM
Let him go.

thabear04
02-28-2017, 07:28 PM
What would the tag #s be?

Defensive Tackle

Franchise Tag
$13,615,000

Transition Tag
$10,875,000

Dante84
02-28-2017, 07:31 PM
Defensive Tackle

Franchise Tag
$13,615,000

Transition Tag
$10,875,000

How much cap room do we have after today's events?

In58men
02-28-2017, 07:32 PM
Tag and trade for more draft picks.

J Diddy
02-28-2017, 07:32 PM
How much cap room do we have after today's events?

$30 and a coupon for some sizzler

Dave Lane
02-28-2017, 07:37 PM

If you think Reid is going to let that sizzler coupon walk you don't know Andy.

cabletech94
02-28-2017, 07:40 PM

mmmmmmmm. i could sure go for some sizzler!!!

pugsnotdrugs19
02-28-2017, 07:45 PM
If we're going to spend decent money on someone, go for Desean Jackson or Zach Brown. Those two would help KC a lot and have more in the tank than Poe imo.

KChiefs1
02-28-2017, 07:51 PM
Bye

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Molitoth
02-28-2017, 08:21 PM
Let him go FFS. Dude is NOT worth a big pay day.

TambaBerry
02-28-2017, 08:37 PM
Giant guys with back issues you can't pay big money too. We're already paying a guy with a knee issue and we just signed a guy to a very big contract who had Achilles issues last year. Scary for the Chiefs.

Couch-Potato
02-28-2017, 09:16 PM
tag him!

Bewbies
02-28-2017, 09:18 PM
I hope either we keep him or he signs for $10,000,000+ per year somewhere else. As nice as a 3rd round pick would be, he's a fun player to watch.

Mr_Tomahawk
02-28-2017, 09:23 PM
I'm not so quick to let him walk as others.

He has a higher QBR than Smith...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Direckshun
02-28-2017, 09:33 PM
Tag him.

Bowser
02-28-2017, 09:37 PM
Let him go

ILChief
02-28-2017, 09:43 PM
I don't want to let him go because we will draft DL for the 100th time. Tag him

wazu
02-28-2017, 09:44 PM
Tag him. Alex needs weapons.

Jerok
02-28-2017, 09:52 PM
Let Alex walk and sign poe a deal to play quarterback. I think he's close to 100% completion rate and his passes are usually TDS so why not give it a chance? Besides he could always just QB sneak every play.

Hog's Gone Fishin
02-28-2017, 10:05 PM
I hope either we keep him or he signs for $10,000,000+ per year somewhere else. As nice as a 3rd round pick would be, he's a fun player to watch.

ROFL

Dumbass !

Roll any game tape this season and watch his ass get manhandled play after play. He's nothing special.

Chief Northman
02-28-2017, 10:06 PM
Tag him. Alex needs weapons.

Zing!

kcpasco
02-28-2017, 10:10 PM
Tag him and make him an angry pig

kccrow
02-28-2017, 10:12 PM
Defensive Tackle

Franchise Tag
$13,615,000

Transition Tag
$10,875,000
Edit: NM... this appears to be about correct

MotherfuckerJones
02-28-2017, 10:40 PM
Spend that money on Hightower

chiefforlife
02-28-2017, 10:42 PM

THIS!

Ringless
02-28-2017, 10:44 PM
Any cap guys have updates they can share as to where we stand post-Berry and post-Charles?

I think you're going to have to wait until the full contract details are released. However Berry's cap hit is supposedly 7 million this year. I guess we are still waiting on the full details of the LDT deal, but it's plausible since it was an extension he got his signing bonus, but will play under the original 2017 salary of 700k.

That would leave the Chiefs with 2 million in cap space. Since sportrac and OTC both miscalculated the cap space for Foles, and that option will be declined the Chiefs have 12 million in cap in that scenario.

Don't forget you have to leave 5 million or so for your teams rookie pool, and another 2 million or so for in-season signings (ie signing to replace an injured player, etc)

Things seem pretty tight. With all this money being backloaded, and the Chiefs only having 30 million in space before these two signing next year. That pretty much assures Alex Smith's fate next season. He will be cut, in fact, if the Chiefs dont make the playoffs this year, or are an early exit. Smith and Reid might both be done. Tamba Hali as well. Otherwise next year, I'd be assuming as it is right now there is only 8-12 million in cap space.... 18-22 more spent or so between Berry and LDT off the original 30..... Not a lot of wiggle room unless the above moves are made.

Just a guess, on the Chiefs future from an NFC fan.....

oldman
02-28-2017, 11:06 PM
As much as I liked Poe in the past, he just wasn't the same this year. I'm pretty sure we could get a lot more bang for our bucks elsewhere.

Gonzo
03-01-2017, 03:14 AM
He's likely going to be back at 100% this year. I'd like to keep him if at all possible but they already bought the farm with the Berry deal. If they're going to give him a long term deal, they'll likely have to let someone else walk. Colquitt maybe?

DC.chief
03-01-2017, 06:41 AM
I like the dude but I say let him go. Get that comp pick

Stryker
03-01-2017, 07:12 AM
Let him go

Red Dawg
03-01-2017, 07:16 AM

We should have spent Berrys money on Hightower. DL dominance wins more than safeties.

Hammock Parties
03-01-2017, 07:47 AM
We should have spent Berrys money on Hightower. DL dominance wins more than safeties.

Hightower's a goddamn linebacker, and he's not even good in coverage.

You don't pay top dollar for a two-down LB....and in today's NFL those guys are rapidly become one-down players.

Shit, he can't even stay healthy.

Black Bob
03-01-2017, 07:51 AM
Ron Edwards
Derrick Lokey
Sean Smith
Amon Gordon
Jerrell Powe
Ropati Pitoitua

Remember that pile of shit? Remember how long it took to find a legit NT?

You guys are nuts if you think Poe is easily replaceable. Also, Howard isn't Poe. Howard doesn't play hurt period. You don't let guys like Poe walk.

Hammock Parties
03-01-2017, 08:01 AM
Howard was every bit as good as Poe when he played NT in 2015. He had the best run stop percentage in the entire NFL. He had seven goddamn sacks (I know his NFL page says 5.5 but PFF credited him wtih 7).

He's a cheaper player without the injury history Poe has.

Are you even aware of how poor Poe's 2016 went?

He was the 59th rated interior defender on PFF, and 90th in run defense. NINETIETH. He's a big fat body at this point and not much else.

This is a no brainer.

bricks
03-01-2017, 08:04 AM
Tag him.

Feed him some KC BBQ and all is good!

Black Bob
03-01-2017, 08:05 AM
Howard doesn't play hurt and he misses more time than you think. Also, if he's better than Poe, why wasn't he the starter? You think Andy starts Poe because he's a fan favorite? Those stats are worthless spider.

Dante84
03-01-2017, 08:06 AM
I'd like to keep him for another year on the tag, and make the call next year.

philfree
03-01-2017, 08:18 AM
I like Howard but didn't he just miss most of this past season due to injury? But we should let Poe walk becsuse of his back which caused him to miss maybe a 1 game this year. Or did he just sit out a bunch of practices? To count on Howard to be the guy instead of Poe because of Poe's back seems kind of silly.

Urc Burry
03-01-2017, 08:19 AM
Howard doesn't play hurt and he misses more time than you think. Also, if he's better than Poe, why wasn't he the starter? You think Andy starts Poe because he's a fan favorite? Those stats are worthless spider.

Because Howard can play anywhere on the line? It's not like he sat behind Poe. A Bailey/Howard/Jones will do just fine even though I do think we retain Poe

mcaj22
03-01-2017, 08:20 AM
13 million on the tag is so much though, we could use that elsewhere

staylor26
03-01-2017, 08:27 AM
Where the **** is this guy getting that Howard "doesn't play hurt"?

First off, it's just stupid and baseless. Second, he literally came back and played through the hip injury, but it led to him being out for the year.

I can't even remember him being hurt besides that. Such a strange take.

Black Bob
03-01-2017, 12:27 PM
Because Howard can play anywhere on the line? It's not like he sat behind Poe. A Bailey/Howard/Jones will do just fine even though I do think we retain Poe

So can Poe. He played DE in college.

Where the **** is this guy getting that Howard "doesn't play hurt"?

First off, it's just stupid and baseless. Second, he literally came back and played through the hip injury, but it led to him being out for the year.

I can't even remember him being hurt besides that. Such a strange take.

He didnt come back. That is bullshit. Howard had a hip injury that should have taken 1-3 weeks to heal. They expected him to play and he didn't. They held off on putting him on IR for a long time because he should have come back.

Poe has played through way worse.

http://www.nfl.com/player/jayehoward/2533006/gamelogs

raybec 4
03-01-2017, 12:31 PM

He didnt come back. That is bullshit. Howard had a hip injury that should have taken 1-3 weeks to heal. They expected him to play and he didn't. They held off on putting him on IR for a long time because he should have come back.

Ok that's a really easy statement to make, can you back it up with actual pertinent facts, and not some anecdotal I played High School football with a bad hip bullshit?

Chiefnj2
03-01-2017, 12:35 PM
Thou shouldst at each moment be very cautious when paying large sums to a big gentleman with ailments of thy back.

Black Bob
03-01-2017, 12:39 PM
Ok that's a really easy statement to make, can you back it up with actual pertinent facts, and not some anecdotal I played High School football with a bad hip bullshit?

Research hip injuries and then question the long road they took putting him on IR. I'll agree to disagree. He should have been out there IMO. His injury didn't even require surgery. It's not like he was an 85 year old lady who fell in a bathtub. It was a bruised hip or a hip pointer.

raybec 4
03-01-2017, 12:52 PM
Research hip injuries and then question the long road they took putting him on IR. I'll agree to disagree. He should have been out there IMO. His injury didn't even require surgery. It's not like he was an 85 year old lady who fell in a bathtub. It was a bruised hip or a hip pointer.

I suppose you're right, we'll agree to disagree. I just don't think we have enough information to say what should have happened.

Iconic
03-01-2017, 12:54 PM
< Let him go. Draft midround space eater. Gain cap room. Gain a third round pick.

DJ's left nut
03-01-2017, 12:55 PM
I like Howard but didn't he just miss most of this past season due to injury? But we should let Poe walk becsuse of his back which caused him to miss maybe a 1 game this year. Or did he just sit out a bunch of practices? To count on Howard to be the guy instead of Poe because of Poe's back seems kind of silly.

I must have missed where the Chiefs decided that they wouldn't pay Poe the 2/$10 million they're paying Howard.

The issue with Poe isn't the back injury in a vacuum, it's what the back injury has done to his ability to be an impact player. 2014 Poe is worth $13.6 million on a 1 year deal. The Poe we've had since his back acted up hasn't been.

This isn't just about the player, it's about the player and the $$$$.

philfree
03-01-2017, 01:07 PM
I must have missed where the Chiefs decided that they wouldn't pay Poe the 2/$10 million they're paying Howard.

The issue with Poe isn't the back injury in a vacuum, it's what the back injury has done to his ability to be an impact player. 2014 Poe is worth $13.6 million on a 1 year deal. The Poe we've had since his back acted up hasn't been.

This isn't just about the player, it's about the player and the $$$$.

Yeah but counting on Howard to take over seems risky at this point. If Poe is gone then we better find another NT. Between Poe, Howard and Bailey there are questions concerning each players health. Poe is the only one of the three that finished the season. WE do have Nunez-Roaches but he was part of the unit that gave up all those rushing yards so as solid as we looked on the D line before last season now we have lots of questions.

staylor26
03-01-2017, 01:12 PM

Ok technically he didn't "come back", but he did play one game through the injury, and THEN he was placed on IR. I know for a fact the first week he showed up on the injury report with a "hip" he played. It wasn't till after that game that he was placed on IR. So, he did in fact play hurt

Also, how the **** do you know how long it should have taken him to heal? They never actually announced the extent of the injury, so again I'm calling bullshit.

Black Bob
03-01-2017, 04:10 PM
I researched hip injuries. This is stupid and it's time to move on. Don't get me wrong, I like Howard. I just think Poe is much more valuable and worthy of a contract.

pugsnotdrugs19
03-01-2017, 05:00 PM
Let's consider this for a second. When the Broncos defense turned into a monster in 2015, they were doing it with Malik Jackson and Derek Wolfe on the interior. That's a really nice duo, but I think that you can argue that a Chris Jones/Allen Bailey combo is just as good or better.

Jeeze, I wish our defense could turn the corner like that. It would be our only hope to go the distance in 2017.

raybec 4
03-01-2017, 05:06 PM
Let's consider this for a second. When the Broncos defense turned into a monster in 2015, they were doing it with Malik Jackson and Derek Wolfe on the interior. That's a really nice duo, but I think that you can argue that a Chris Jones/Allen Bailey combo is just as good or better.

Jeeze, I wish our defense could turn the corner like that. It would be our only hope to go the distance in 2017.

Shut yo mouth! Alex is going to take us to the promise land! He might actually average 1 touchdown a game this year!

DJ's left nut
03-01-2017, 05:08 PM

Mitchell's not as good as Talib and Houston's not as reliable as Miller.

A lot of the rest of that defense can go nose to nose with the Bronco's elite version, but when our elite playmaker can't get on the field and they have a #2 CB that's on par with our #1 guy (I hate it, but Harris and Talib are really goddamn good), that's a pretty obvious distinction between the respective squads.

pugsnotdrugs19
03-01-2017, 05:12 PM

A lot of the rest of that defense can go nose to nose with the Bronco's elite version, but when our elite playmaker can't get on the field and they have a #2 CB that's on par with our #1 guy (I hate it, but Harris and Talib are really goddamn good), that's a pretty obvious distinction between the respective squads.

I was just thinking the exact same things when I posted that. But, I like our safeties better. We need Mitchell to pick up where he left off, and the Chiefs would be wise to invest in corner in some way this offseason because we are an injury away from being completely trashed at the position.

We all know the deal with Houston. I don't question his ability to do what Miller can do, but will he be on the field to do it? We also need Ford to come out hungry and performing again, which he's got millions of reasons to do so as he tries to earn a huge contract.

pugsnotdrugs19
03-01-2017, 05:17 PM
In a deep CB/S draft like this one coming, I think KC should seriously consider drafting one in the 2nd-3rd rounds. It is a much bigger need than some seem to acknowledge it as.

Maybe not in terms of starters, but the depth there is not very good. The talking heads say that starting corners can be found in the 4th round this year. The way that we depend on good corner play, there is no reason to go into the season expecting Peters, Mitchell, and Nelson to be enough. Mitchell is also a FA next year, though I don't know if he is restricted or not.

EDIT: Mitchell is a RFA in 2018, so not a huge dilemma there.

kccrow
03-01-2017, 05:18 PM

Not to mention they have a round 1 pick playing Nickel because of those 2 in Roby, who is flipping outstanding. The Broncos secondary is A+, best in the NFL and its not close.

pugsnotdrugs19
03-01-2017, 05:23 PM
Not to mention they have a round 1 pick playing Nickel because of those 2 in Roby, who is flipping outstanding. The Broncos secondary is A+, best in the NFL and its not close.

All the more reason to be looking hard at CB in the 2nd or 3rd round. We could very well find a day one starter, someone to compete for a starting job if nothing else and quality depth.

DomCasual
03-01-2017, 05:38 PM
He is destined to be a Bronco. I remember this one time, when the Chiefs decided they didn't want this guy on the defensive line.

That. Was. Awesome!

http://history.denverbroncos.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/AP_98012502181-400x338.jpg

Hammock Parties
03-01-2017, 05:49 PM
He is destined to be a Bronco. I remember this one time, when the Chiefs decided they didn't want this guy on the defensive line.

That. Was. Awesome!

http://history.denverbroncos.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/AP_98012502181-400x338.jpg

A better comparison would be Keith Traylor.

Pasta Little Brioni
03-01-2017, 05:52 PM

We have much better safeties and Dline

DomCasual
03-01-2017, 05:55 PM
A better comparison would be Keith Traylor.

Yeah, that's a good one, position-wise. But he started his career in Denver, so it isn't as satisfying. :)

I hated Neil Smith before he came to Denver. His signing was an interesting experiment for me. It made me believe that I could like any player, if he wore a Broncos uniform.

That hypothesis was blown all to hell just two years later - a guy by the name of Dale Carter. I hated him when he played in Kansas City. And I think I hated him even more during his brief stint in Denver.

NJChiefsFan
03-01-2017, 11:43 PM
Let him walk.

That's a cruel thing to ask a man with an injured back to do.

We have much better safeties and Dline

Much better is a bit extreme. We may have more depth but it's also hard to compare when we are using 3 sometimes. The Broncos aren't weak at safety.

Buckweath
03-02-2017, 11:15 AM
Poe is gone! Listening to John Dorsey live at the combine, he said that he has told Poe's agent that he wants to keep an open line of communication. It really didn't feel like he would make a strong effort to keep Poe.

Unless Poe wants to give a hometown discount or the market for him is really not what we think it is, he is clearly gone IMO.

I thought he was gone before listening to Dorsey and it has just strengthened my belief.

DJ's left nut
03-02-2017, 11:24 AM
"I'm going to fight like the dickens to get him back...."

Look, simple math says that Poe's almost certainly gone, but Dorsey most assuredly didn't indicate that he wouldn't make a strong effort to re-sign him. In fact, he said the exact opposite.

Buckweath
03-02-2017, 11:36 AM
"I'm going to fight like the dickens to get him back...."

Look, simple math says that Poe's almost certainly gone, but Dorsey most assuredly didn't indicate that he wouldn't make a strong effort to re-sign him. In fact, he said the exact opposite.

My bad. I didn't understand that he was referring to Poe when he said that but still, saying that he told Poe's agent that he wants to keep an open line of communication means IMO that Poe will definitely test the market and if he is to get high offers, we very likely won't match it.

I feel like it is a bit similar to dealing with Sean Smith last year.

We pretty much knew that but listening to Dorsey confirmed it.

DJ's left nut
03-02-2017, 01:09 PM
My bad. I didn't understand that he was referring to Poe when he said that but still, saying that he told Poe's agent that he wants to keep an open line of communication means IMO that Poe will definitely test the market and if he is to get high offers, we very likely won't match it.

I feel like it is a bit similar to dealing with Sean Smith last year.

We pretty much knew that but listening to Dorsey confirmed it.

Poe would be silly not to test the market; he's done the hard part - produced for 5 years under his rookie deal and hit the market relatively healthy.

Why extend now without seeing exactly what you're worth? And yeah, there's a good chance that it's more than the Chiefs can/should pay.

But we said the same thing about Howard last year and the market simply never came together for him. Stranger things have happened.

beach tribe
03-02-2017, 02:21 PM

Depends on the hip injury.

The name Box Jackson ring a bell??

How about Priest Holmes?

raybec 4
03-02-2017, 02:28 PM

How about Priest Holmes?

Box Jackson was a bluegrass singer right??

kcmaxwell
03-02-2017, 03:48 PM

My name is Blind melon chitlins..

Mr. Laz
03-02-2017, 03:58 PM
Tag him.

Let him go

Tag him, then let him go

You get something back in return and you have a little influence about where he goes.

Jiu Jitsu Jon
03-03-2017, 07:27 AM

AHHHH-YAAAH...

raybec 4
03-03-2017, 09:23 AM

Wanna hear it? Here it go

Rooster
03-03-2017, 09:27 AM

How about Priest Holmes?

Wasn't Box Jackson the UPS mascot for a short time?

Jiu Jitsu Jon
03-03-2017, 08:33 PM
"Gonna go downtown,
gonna see my gal..."

Coochie liquor
03-04-2017, 06:50 AM
Whoever called me Red Dick musta been peaking in the dressing room. I'm Red Nick

Chiefshrink
03-04-2017, 07:31 AM
Giant guys with back issues you can't pay big money too. We're already paying a guy with a knee issue and we just signed a guy to a very big contract who had Achilles issues last year. Scary for the Chiefs.

:thumb:

DJ = 2nd Achilles= will there be a full recovery??
Houston =Knee=will there be a full recovery??
Berry = Remission from Hodgkin's= will he make it to 5yrs cancer free??

Poe=big guy back issues = almost never turn out good especially after big $$ awarded.

Bad enough we have 3 very vulnerable big $$ guys hitting our cap. Can't afford a 4th IMHO.

Quesadilla Joe
03-07-2017, 01:53 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Re-signing Johnathan Hankins will be tough. Dontari Poe asking for $10M per year. One D-line coach told me Hankins&#39; tape better than Poe&#39;s.</p>&mdash; Jordan Raanan (@JordanRaanan) <a href="https://twitter.com/JordanRaanan/status/839184616871219200">March 7, 2017</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

raybec 4
03-07-2017, 01:59 PM
There's no way Poe should get 10 per. He completely disappeared for the second half of the season, even if he is averaging more TD's per attempt than Alex.

beach tribe
03-07-2017, 03:12 PM
Wasn't Box Jackson the UPS mascot for a short time?

Ha!

Box knows shipping!

beach tribe
03-07-2017, 03:13 PM

Box knows pickin n grinnin.

Quesadilla Joe
03-08-2017, 05:10 AM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Market for <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Chiefs?src=hash">#Chiefs</a> DT Dontari Poe might not be as good as hoped. Might do 1-yr deal w/ team that allows him to rush more, hit market in &#39;18</p>&mdash; Jason Cole (@JasonColeBR) <a href="https://twitter.com/JasonColeBR/status/839345494031806464">March 8, 2017</a></blockquote>

BossChief
03-08-2017, 06:52 AM
Time for Dorsey to "fight like the dickens" I guess.

RunKC
03-08-2017, 07:35 AM
I think Dorsey's comment was made in jest. He knows this is a Sean Smith/Rodney Hudson situation.

Poe is gonna get overpaid.

Quesadilla Joe
03-08-2017, 08:29 AM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Skins will be in on Dontari Poe, a top target. Also in the safety market, with Barry Church, a target for JAX as well, in their sights</p>&mdash; Jason La Canfora (@JasonLaCanfora) <a href="https://twitter.com/JasonLaCanfora/status/839480859791081472">March 8, 2017</a></blockquote>

Dave Lane
03-08-2017, 09:10 AM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Skins will be in on Dontari Poe, a top target. Also in the safety market, with Barry Church, a target for JAX as well, in their sights</p>&mdash; Jason La Canfora (@JasonLaCanfora) <a href="https://twitter.com/JasonLaCanfora/status/839480859791081472">March 8, 2017</a></blockquote>

This why the skins will never win a SB.

pugsnotdrugs19
03-08-2017, 11:34 AM
Unless he wants a Jaye Howard deal, bye.

Quesadilla Joe
03-08-2017, 12:54 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Colts very active under new GM Chris Ballard. Hope to keep Butler and Turbin, exploring top D free agents like Perry and Poe.</p>&mdash; Jason La Canfora (@JasonLaCanfora) <a href="https://twitter.com/JasonLaCanfora/status/839549653586694144">March 8, 2017</a></blockquote>

Beef Supreme
03-08-2017, 01:21 PM
I don't know how the Skins have any money. Every other year they are orchestrating some kind of financial disaster with overpaying players or trading away their draft for players that don't pan out.

Quesadilla Joe
03-08-2017, 08:41 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Several teams pushing for DT Dontari Poe - Colts, Falcons, 49ers among them. Quite possible he opts for 1 year deal; hit market again in &#39;18</p>&mdash; Jason La Canfora (@JasonLaCanfora) <a href="https://twitter.com/JasonLaCanfora/status/839665791310114816">March 9, 2017</a></blockquote>

Bewbies
03-08-2017, 09:36 PM
Get a 3rd round pick, sign him next year again. Profit.

Direckshun
03-08-2017, 10:11 PM

This would be genius.

Quesadilla Joe
03-10-2017, 10:55 AM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Continue to hear the Falcons linked to Chiefs DT Dontari Poe. Very good chance he does 1yr deal to relaunch as a UFA next March</p>&mdash; Jason La Canfora (@JasonLaCanfora) <a href="https://twitter.com/JasonLaCanfora/status/840232128646402048">March 10, 2017</a></blockquote>

The Franchise
03-10-2017, 10:56 AM
Annnnnnnd we'll get fucked out of a comp pick for him.

Baby Lee
03-10-2017, 10:59 AM

Dave Ryder

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/RFHlJ2voJHY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

ROFL - Lump Beefbroth kills me to this day.

Bewbies
03-10-2017, 11:22 AM
Scott Pioli loves our sloppy seconds.

ModSocks
03-10-2017, 11:44 AM
a 1 year deal would be pretty disappointing for Poe.

The Franchise
03-10-2017, 09:22 PM
Jason La Canfora of CBS Sports reports free agent NT Dontari Poe is in "high demand."

Poe's market was a little slow to develop but now it's beginning to heat up. He's visiting the Colts on Sunday and is also drawing interest from the Dolphins, Falcons, Jaguars and Raiders. La Canfora previously reported that Poe may have to settle for a one-year "prove-it" deal with some teams concerned about his back. He's not expected to be back in Kansas City.

Mr. Laz
03-10-2017, 09:59 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Colts very active under new GM Chris Ballard. Hope to keep Butler and Turbin, exploring top D free agents like Perry and Poe.</p>&mdash; Jason La Canfora (@JasonLaCanfora) <a href="https://twitter.com/JasonLaCanfora/status/839549653586694144">March 8, 2017</a></blockquote>
Ballard is going to fuck with us for the foreseeable furture

Mr. Laz
03-10-2017, 10:06 PM
Doesn't work that way.

The comp value of the player is effected by the contract signed with his new team.

If we don't keep Poe, we want him to sign the biggest contract in NFL history.

Bewbies
03-10-2017, 11:41 PM
Doesn't work that way.

The comp value of the player is effected by the contract signed with his new team.

If we don't keep Poe, we want him to sign the biggest contract in NFL history.

This was when he was asking $10m per. If he signed a 1 year $10m deal we'd get a 3rd.

Chiefshrink
03-10-2017, 11:43 PM
Well Ballard knows what he is getting.:hmmm:

Garcia Bronco
03-11-2017, 01:21 AM
Can't wait to see this dude running the offense in Denver.

kcchiefsus
03-11-2017, 01:44 AM
Ballard is going to fuck with us for the foreseeable furture

He's not a pansy like Dorsey.

Quesadilla Joe
03-11-2017, 07:48 AM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">I&#39;m told DT Dontari Poe is planning to travel for a visit w/ the <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Colts?src=hash">#Colts</a> on Sun. Hearing the owner may send his jet to pick up Poe as well.</p>&mdash; Josina Anderson (@JosinaAnderson) <a href="https://twitter.com/JosinaAnderson/status/840552777692655616">March 11, 2017</a></blockquote>

Pasta Little Brioni
03-11-2017, 09:47 AM
Troll

Chief Northman
03-11-2017, 09:58 AM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">I&#39;m told DT Dontari Poe is planning to travel for a visit w/ the <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Colts?src=hash">#Colts</a> on Sun. Hearing the owner may send his jet to pick up Poe as well.</p>&mdash; Josina Anderson (@JosinaAnderson) <a href="https://twitter.com/JosinaAnderson/status/840552777692655616">March 11, 2017</a></blockquote>

Thanks for overpaying Irsay - that 3rd round comp pick will be packaged nicely for our QBOTF!

Darnold? Browning? Rosen? Jackson? so many to choose from!

milkman
03-11-2017, 09:58 AM
Troll

If you are so damned worried that Knowmo is providing the news, then do the work yourself and beat him to it.

Otherwise shut your useless dumb ass up.

The Franchise
03-11-2017, 10:04 AM
If you are so damned worried that Knowmo is providing the news, then do the work yourself and beat him to it.

:clap:

Pasta Little Brioni
03-11-2017, 10:10 AM

Take your Metamucil and zip it, fart

TEX
03-11-2017, 10:28 AM

He is visiting them first tomorrow or Monday. I'm betting it's his only stop.

milkman
03-11-2017, 12:11 PM

It does help me get shit like you out.

kccrow
03-11-2017, 01:55 PM
It does help me get shit like you out.

LOL

CasselGotPeedOn
03-11-2017, 02:03 PM

You've become a worthless fucking poster. Pathetic.

Mr. Laz
03-11-2017, 06:30 PM
Come on colts, make him the highest paid defender in the league.

Al Bundy
03-12-2017, 09:26 AM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Spoke to Dontari Poe last night. He said he&#39;s &quot;looking forward &quot; to visiting the <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Colts?src=hash">#Colts</a>. &quot;They&#39;re trying to get something done,&quot; he added.</p>&mdash; Josina Anderson (@JosinaAnderson) <a href="https://twitter.com/JosinaAnderson/status/840939276216987648">March 12, 2017</a></blockquote>

rabblerouser
03-12-2017, 10:15 AM
Come on colts, make him the highest paid defender in the league.

Hey Ballard - give him $15m/per!!

Biggest contract in history - do it!!

Quesadilla Joe
03-12-2017, 02:52 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">DT Dontari Poe is expected to visit the <a href="https://twitter.com/Jaguars">@Jaguars</a> Monday, in addition to RB Latavius Murray. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Jags?src=hash">#Jags</a> doing work in FA!</p>&mdash; Tiffany Blackmon (@tiffblackmon) <a href="https://twitter.com/tiffblackmon/status/841028623113048064">March 12, 2017</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">I&#39;m told DT Dontari Poe&#39;s visit w/t <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Colts?src=hash">#Colts</a> &quot;went well.&quot; There&#39;s &quot;no deal&quot; at this time. He&#39;s scheduled to travel for a visit with the <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Jags?src=hash">#Jags</a>.</p>&mdash; Josina Anderson (@JosinaAnderson) <a href="https://twitter.com/JosinaAnderson/status/841029394651107328">March 12, 2017</a></blockquote>

The Franchise
03-12-2017, 02:53 PM
Jesus Christ. That defensive line would amazing.

Rumor is they might and try and go after Romo when he's released too.

Sure-Oz
03-12-2017, 02:56 PM
@JasonLaCanfora: Dontari Poe leaving the Colts and heading to Jacksonvile for his next visit. No deal reached in Indy

Quesadilla Joe
03-12-2017, 02:57 PM
Romo would be a good fit for Jax if they could get over the whole Bortles thing.

The Franchise
03-12-2017, 02:58 PM
They play Fowler at DE, right?

Fowler, Jackson, Poe and Campbell.

mcaj22
03-12-2017, 03:41 PM
They play Fowler at DE, right?

Fowler, Jackson, Poe and Campbell.

nope Fowler wouldnt even start imagine that

Campbell-Poe-Jackson-Ngakoue

Rain Man
03-12-2017, 04:05 PM
I hope Dontari doesn't get the middle seat when he travels for these visits. If he flies Southwest, can you imagine seeing him coming down the aisle when the last vacant seat is next to you?

Pasta Little Brioni
03-12-2017, 04:20 PM
You've become a worthless fucking poster. Pathetic.

Who are you again? Some mult turd running smack ROFL

Bewbies
03-12-2017, 05:58 PM
This guy is getting low money offers. Clearly there's not much market for the guy...

Chief Northman
03-12-2017, 07:43 PM
This guy is getting low money offers. Clearly there's not much market for the guy...

Imagine if he came back to Arrowhead with his tail tucked between his legs and quietly begged Dorsey for a contract.....

Offensive weapon. Average NT. Nice guy.

Bewbies
03-12-2017, 07:58 PM
Imagine if he came back to Arrowhead with his tail tucked between his legs and quietly begged Dorsey for a contract.....

Offensive weapon. Average NT. Nice guy.

I hope he comes back, I love watching him.

gblowfish
03-12-2017, 07:59 PM
I wouldn't mind getting Poe back if the money is reasonable. Give him incentives based on productivity and health.

Mr. Laz
03-12-2017, 08:14 PM
I wouldn't mind getting Poe back if the money is reasonable. Give him incentives based on productivity and health.
I think we would benefit more by having Poe get a huge contract from another team so that we get a high comp pick.

Usually, back problems don't get better when 300-pound Dlinemen are concerned.

pugsnotdrugs19
03-12-2017, 08:18 PM
The Bills' front 4 in 2014 was about as good as it gets as far as recent years.

Jerry Hughes, Marcell Dareus, Kyle Williams, Mario Williams. All seemingly at their peak levels that year.

Kidd Lex
03-12-2017, 09:01 PM
This is tricky. We spent years getting ran over with undersized and underperforming NT's and Poe stopped that. He was our Wilfork, and the defense was better with him on the field. I agree we can't afford an ineffective NT with a chronic back injury, but be careful what we wish for. If healthy, the guy makes everyone's play better on the D. Wish we could score him on a team friendly deal, but it's probably best he moves on and we are able to replace him with an adequate NT between Bailey, NR, Jones, and Howard. We will and should soon most likely find out. RIP to our playbooks most decorated play...Hungry Pig Right.

oldman
03-12-2017, 10:02 PM
I hope Dontari doesn't get the middle seat when he travels for these visits. If he flies Southwest, can you imagine seeing him coming down the aisle when the last vacant seat is next to you?

Hush your mouth!! I pay extra for that Earlybird check-in. I only want to see Sofia Vergara in the middle seat next to me!!!! :cuss:

TigeRRUppeRRcut
03-12-2017, 10:15 PM
Take the comp pick. Use it to help trade up in next year's draft.

kcchiefsus
03-12-2017, 10:45 PM
Take the comp pick. Use it to help trade up in next year's draft.

Trade up for who? A servant for our lord and savior, Alex Smith?

big nasty kcnut
03-12-2017, 11:30 PM
He is gone five years 72.5 million with 45 million gan. Per Schaefer.

The Franchise
03-12-2017, 11:43 PM
I don't see that anywhere.

TribalElder
03-12-2017, 11:45 PM
https://mobile.twitter.com/AdemSchafter/status/840982633546940416

Troll account?

Pasta Little Brioni
03-12-2017, 11:47 PM
https://mobile.twitter.com/AdemSchafter/status/840982633546940416

Troll account?

Schafter. You think?

TEX
03-13-2017, 06:45 AM
He is gone five years 72.5 million with 45 million gan. Per Schaefer.

No way. I dont believe it. Nobody is gonna pay stupid money like that for him.

-King-
03-13-2017, 06:49 AM
No way. I dont believe it. Nobody is gonna pay stupid money like that for him.

Adem Schafter is very reliable. Don't know why you would doubt him
Posted via Mobile Device

TEX
03-13-2017, 06:51 AM
Adem Schafter is very reliable. Don't know why you would doubt him
Posted via Mobile Device

I agree. Im doubting its really him tweeting it...

Red Beans
03-13-2017, 06:55 AM
Adem huh? Seems legit.

BryanBusby
03-13-2017, 07:18 AM
My favorite source of news would be @RapeSheet

Pasta Little Brioni
03-13-2017, 07:34 AM
My favorite source of news would be @RapeSheet

SNR bringin the pain

mcaj22
03-13-2017, 07:34 AM
or @LaFatOriolesFanBoyCryBabyCornola

BryanBusby
03-13-2017, 07:38 AM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">BREAKING: Tony Romo is retiring. Another retirement coming from the <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Cowboys?src=hash">#Cowboys</a> today. Romo and Doug Free plan to run off and get married soon.</p>&mdash; Ian Rapoport (@RapeSheet) <a href="https://twitter.com/RapeSheet/status/840672621347930113">March 11, 2017</a></blockquote>

The Franchise
03-13-2017, 07:54 AM
Rapesheet. ROFL

SNR's twitter account?

Quesadilla Joe
03-13-2017, 09:26 AM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Chiefs D Poe is looking for a big deal, which is why he is willing to take visits. Visiting means:, I don&#39;t have the deal I want yet....</p>&mdash; Michael Lombardi (@mlombardiNFL) <a href="https://twitter.com/mlombardiNFL/status/841302717624541184">March 13, 2017</a></blockquote>

Pasta Little Brioni
03-13-2017, 09:33 AM
Lombard is a hack dude. No one curr what he thinks

ct
03-13-2017, 09:50 AM
adem schefter lol

RealSNR
03-13-2017, 10:14 AM
Rapesheet? Who got my twitter account?!

Pasta Little Brioni
03-13-2017, 10:15 AM
But is it the REALRapesheet?

thabear04
03-13-2017, 10:19 AM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">BREAKING: Tony Romo is retiring. Another retirement coming from the <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Cowboys?src=hash">#Cowboys</a> today. Romo and Doug Free plan to run off and get married soon.</p>&mdash; Ian Rapoport (@RapeSheet) <a href="https://twitter.com/RapeSheet/status/840672621347930113">March 11, 2017</a></blockquote>

I believe that's a fake account.

Al Bundy
03-13-2017, 10:36 AM

I think everyone knows that....

Marcellus
03-13-2017, 12:34 PM

LMAO

raybec 4
03-13-2017, 12:44 PM

Thanks Columbo

ForeverChiefs58
03-15-2017, 09:51 PM
Dolphins meet with Dontari Poe for nine hours

Free agent defensive tackle Dontari Poe’s meeting with the Dolphins has concluded, the team announced.

Poe has had plenty of interest, but still remains without a contract. The Miami Herald reported that Poe left the Dolphins’ facility after a Wednesday meeting that lasted around nine hours.

Poe is used to this by now. He had previously visited the Colts, Jaguars and the Falcons, and it’s been reported that the Raiders are interested, too.

The Chiefs have already replaced Poe by signing Bennie Logan. Poe, 26 could end up signing a one-year contract and hitting the market again next season. He’s been a starter for all five of his seasons with the Chiefs but his statistical production has dropped off significantly over the last two seasons.

Quesadilla Joe
03-16-2017, 10:53 AM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">So after visiting Colts, Jaguars, Dolphins, former Chiefs DT Dontari Poe winds up with the Atlanta Falcons.</p>&mdash; Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) <a href="https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/842417913097248768">March 16, 2017</a></blockquote>

Sure-Oz
03-16-2017, 10:54 AM
@nickkorte: As of now, Dontari Poe will cause the Chiefs to gain a 2018 compensatory pick, and the Falcons to lose one. What round is to be determined. https://twitter.com/ProFootballTalk/status/842417178800476160

Sure-Oz
03-16-2017, 10:55 AM
@AdamSchefter: Falcons gave former Chiefs' DT Dontari Poe a one-year, $8 million deal that could increase to $10M with incentives, per source.

RunKC
03-16-2017, 10:58 AM
Armando Salguero

Dolphins wanted to pay Dontari Poe $3M-$4M over one year. That wasn't going to get it done.

Wow the market was really bad for Poe until he met with the Falcons. Explains why he met with 4 teams and this took forever.

ModSocks
03-16-2017, 10:58 AM
@AdamSchefter: Falcons gave former Chiefs' DT Dontari Poe a one-year, $8 million deal that could increase to $10M with incentives, per source.

So...he cost as much as Bennie Logan. Hrmmm....

Halfcan
03-16-2017, 10:59 AM
Glad Poe signed out of the division. Best of luck Big Man and thanks for all the awesome memories!

Baby Lee
03-16-2017, 11:01 AM

To clarify, he cost the FALCONS as much as Logan cost the CHIEFS.

Tough to form conclusions beyond those parameters.

raybec 4
03-16-2017, 11:07 AM

I think we got out of the Poe market at the right time. He was declining and he wants to be a pass rusher not a run stuffer. Maybe he blows up, or maybe he fizzles but I think we upgraded for the same money.

ModSocks
03-16-2017, 11:07 AM

It sounds like the Falcons overpaid too....If Miami was offering 4 Mill or so...makes you wonder what everyone else was offering.

Bufkin
03-16-2017, 11:08 AM
Super Bowl bound!

TambaBerry
03-16-2017, 11:10 AM
I bet the Chiefs offered 8mil but he wanted to go some place with a legit chance to win.

Grim
03-16-2017, 11:12 AM
I bet the Chiefs offered 8mil but he wanted to go some place with a legit chance to win.

I'm sure he went with the most money.
I doubt the Chiefs offered him $2million in incentives.

raybec 4
03-16-2017, 11:14 AM

I believe he wants to go somewhere where he can maximize his next contract by rushing the passer. That's not what the Chiefs asked him to do.

Hoover
03-16-2017, 11:18 AM
I'm glad he is a Falcon, and even happier we didn't sign him to a long term deal.

Buckweath
03-16-2017, 11:20 AM

Seems more like he would go to the highest bidder and/or to a team where he felt like he had the best chance to regain his form if he were to take a one-year deal.

And no wonder Poe and the Chiefs were always far apart in negotiations for a new contract. It feels like Poe was looking at least at Brandon Williams' type of money and the market was far form that for him.

The back problems are definitely a concern and the fact that he had arguably his worst year despite being the most important for his career as far as money he could gain might tell a lot.

DaWolf
03-16-2017, 11:20 AM
@nickkorte: As of now, Dontari Poe will cause the Chiefs to gain a 2018 compensatory pick, and the Falcons to lose one. What round is to be determined. https://twitter.com/ProFootballTalk/status/842417178800476160

I'm sure that gets offset by the Logan deal. So if we still get a pick, it won't be high.

Not sure why Dorsey said he was going to "fight like the dickens" to sign him if the price worked. Obviously at that price could have gone Poe over Logan, but decided to pay Logan, who I guess they feel will fit the defense better...

The Franchise
03-16-2017, 11:21 AM
I'm sure that gets offset by the Logan deal. So if we still get a pick, it won't be high.

Not sure why Dorsey said he was going to "fight like the dickens" to sign him if the price worked. Obviously at that price could have gone Poe over Logan, but decided to pay Logan, who I guess they feel will fit the defense better...

Logan is Poe without the back issues but minus some pass rushing skills.

Buckweath
03-16-2017, 11:24 AM
I believe he wants to go somewhere where he can maximize his next contract by rushing the passer. That's not what the Chiefs asked him to do.
Look, he had 6.5 sacks two years ago in the same scheme and fans thought at the beginning of that season that he might get to 10.

Were his responsibilities and what was asked to do of him really different this year?

raybec 4
03-16-2017, 11:25 AM
Logan is Poe without the back issues but minus some pass rushing skills.

Logan in '15 was a plus run defender compared to Poe. Hopefully he can get back to that by going back to a 3-4

RealSNR
03-16-2017, 11:25 AM
I wonder if putting Poe at the 3-tech in a 4-3 with his speed and pass rushing will jumpstart his career, at least for a little bit.

I could see him getting better in this position, and then see Chiefs fans complaining that we didn't keep him.

Bewbies
03-16-2017, 11:26 AM
Hopefully he turns out better for Atlanta than all the other Chiefs Pioli has brought down here.

raybec 4
03-16-2017, 11:27 AM
Look, he had 6.5 sacks two years ago in the same scheme and fans thought at the beginning of that season that he might get to 10.

Were his responsibilities and what was asked to do of him really different this year?

Poe had 6 sacks in 2014, and 2.5 since then. Either his responsibilities changed or he forgot how to rush the passer.

The Franchise
03-16-2017, 11:28 AM
I wonder if putting Poe at the 3-tech in a 4-3 with his speed and pass rushing will jumpstart his career, at least for a little bit.

I could see him getting better in this position, and then see Chiefs fans complaining that we didn't keep him.

Rotoworld talked about them cutting down his snaps significantly. I don't think he'll ever be the same.

Hoover
03-16-2017, 11:29 AM

I think this is a great signing for Atlanta for that reason.

TLO
03-16-2017, 11:30 AM
Thanks for the memories - especially your jump pass TD vs the Broncos.

:)

Baby Lee
03-16-2017, 11:38 AM
Hopefully he turns out better for Atlanta than all the other Chiefs Pioli has brought down here.

Who here gives a SHIT how things turn out for Atlanta?

SAUTO
03-16-2017, 11:41 AM
Who here gives a SHIT how things turn out for Atlanta?

Probably the guy who posted that.

pugsnotdrugs19
03-16-2017, 11:53 AM
So basically we paid Logan the same amount as Poe got? That says one of two things... either KC likes Logan more, or Poe just wanted out... or both.

Probably the best outcome for both sides IMO.

Hog's Gone Fishin
03-16-2017, 11:58 AM
So basically we paid Logan the same amount as Poe got? That says one of two things... either KC likes Logan more, or Poe just wanted out... or both.

Why wouldn't KC like Logan more, Poe played horribly during a contract year. His back most likely has done him in.

pugsnotdrugs19
03-16-2017, 12:01 PM
Why wouldn't KC like Logan more, Poe played horribly during a contract year. His back most likely has done him in.

I agree with them if they did feel that way. I really felt like he was a weak link on the defense in 2016.

RunKC
03-16-2017, 12:09 PM

3/4 teams Poe visited play a 4-3 excluding Indy, which I think was Ballard's call to talk about playing NT.

It's clear that he doesn't want to play NT anymore and I think that's best for him.

BossChief
03-16-2017, 12:11 PM
Seems like Dorsey probably wanted to keep Poe, but that he only wanted to pay him 8m Max on a 1 year deal.

I bet Dorsey was in contact with Poe the whole time and wanted to sign Baker...but wanted to make sure he was going to lose Poe before moving on.

Dorsey: "listen Dontaris agent, we want Poe back but I've already had to see Baker sign for peanuts while I sit on my hands waiting on Dontari to make a decision and I can't wait forever. I've got Bennie Logan's agent on the other line, do you want the 8million, or nah?"

Poes agent "we've got Atlanta on the other line and they are offering 8m plus incentives"

Dorsey: "I'm signing Logan. That's too much risk. Tell Poe I'll call him in a few minutes. Atlanta got a good football player."

I wish Poe luck in Atlanta. He was always friendly to talk to and played damn near every snap while in KC. I don't think anyone here thinks Poe has reached his potential and hopefully his back gets better and allows him to be a difference maker again.

Jamie
03-16-2017, 12:15 PM

Yeah, that's the thing it seems like people aren't getting. He wouldn't take this contract from us because nothing would change. This contract isn't about this contract, it's about trying to get the big contract next year.

pugsnotdrugs19
03-16-2017, 12:17 PM
From the Chiefs' perspective, the whole reason you draft and develop a guy like Dontari Poe was to shut down any surge with the inside running game. You have that guy on your team to make sure that Le'Veon Bell can't go wild on the ground in your home playoff game.

He just didn't do that. Not only against Pitt, but against almost any team this year. He no longer held up against double teams, and rarely ever pushed the pocket.

I say all of that objectively. Maybe he figures it out in the 4-3, but Poe did not do what we needed him to do last year.

Sure-Oz
03-16-2017, 12:17 PM
@mattderrick: Poe deal comparable to Logan deal. Unlikely Chiefs get compensation for Poe leaving. Also means team judged market right re: franchise tag.

RealSNR
03-16-2017, 12:19 PM
Seems like Dorsey probably wanted to keep Poe, but that he only wanted to pay him 8m Max on a 1 year deal.

I bet Dorsey was in contact with Poe the whole time and wanted to sign Baker...but wanted to make sure he was going to lose Poe before moving on.

Dorsey: "listen Dontaris agent, we want Poe back but I've already had to see Baker sign for peanuts while I sit on my hands waiting on Dontari to make a decision and I can't wait forever. I've got Bennie Logan's agent on the other line, do you want the 8million, or nah?"

Poes agent "we've got Atlanta on the other line and they are offering 8m plus incentives"

Dorsey: "I'm signing Logan. That's too much risk. Tell Poe I'll call him in a few minutes. Atlanta got a good football player."

I wish Poe luck in Atlanta. He was always friendly to talk to and played damn near every snap while in KC. I don't think anyone here thinks Poe has reached his potential and hopefully his back gets better and allows him to be a difference maker again.

That's another thing. We were always on Sutton's ass in 2013 and 2014 to give Poe more breathers.

How did Poe's back injury occur? Was it a freak thing? I wonder if we didn't accidentally wreck it.

ModSocks
03-16-2017, 12:21 PM
Everyone wants to attribute his drop off in play to the back issue.

I'm not so sure about that. Poe was regarded as an underachiever in college. A freak athlete with little to no production in a weak conference.

His issue may in fact not be physical, just as it wasn't in college.

ModSocks
03-16-2017, 12:23 PM
"The biggest negative about Poe's draft stock is his lack of production at the college level. With his special skill set, he should have produced more and put together a bigger stat line, especially at his lower level of competition. Poe totaled 33 tackles with eight tackles for a loss, one sack and one forced fumble in 2011. As a sophomore the year before, he had 41 tackles with 6.5 tackles for a loss and two sacks.

One glaring negative is that Poe earned a reputation of taking plays off. He is sure to get grilled about that in team interviews and will need to have some good answers."

Maybe this is simply what Poe is....an underacheiver.

Marcellus
03-16-2017, 12:25 PM
All this does is confirm KC was correct in not giving Poe a long term deal.

ModSocks
03-16-2017, 12:26 PM
"After watching some film on Poe, I saw that he gives up on plays. I’m not sure if it’s conditioning, but he doesn’t pressure the run or the pass consistently. Other times, he looks like a top 15 draft pick."

Pretty much Poe's career as a Chief....

The more i think about it, the less i believe the issue is physical. There's a theme trending with this guy that goes back to college....

RunKC
03-16-2017, 12:29 PM
ESPN's Ed Werder:

"His numbers have dropped off considerably in recent years, but he's still a unique player. As of last night, the Chiefs had been in contact with him, they were having negotiations, but they were not close to a deal. At that point, there was still no discussion if they would franchise him if they got the Berry deal done."

"The Berry deal give the Chiefs all the leverage in the world with Dontari Poe."

So, do we:

Sign to an extension

Franchise Tag

Let him walk to FA

"After watching some film on Poe, I saw that he gives up on plays. I’m not sure if it’s conditioning, but he doesn’t pressure the run or the pass consistently. Other times, he looks like a top 15 draft pick."

The more i think about it, the less i believe the issue is physical. There's a theme trending with this guy that goes back to college....

I don't know if I believe that. Houston and Jones were called lazy and were said to not have motors and look at them.

ModSocks
03-16-2017, 12:34 PM
I don't know if I believe that. Houston and Jones were called lazy and were said to not have motors and look at them.

Houston and Jones also played in the SEC and were more productive players than Poe, who played against vastly inferior talent at Memphis.

Mr. Laz
03-16-2017, 12:50 PM
That's what happens when you play lazy.

Poe went from being considered an NFL elite to having to settle for a 1-yr deal to prove himself. He doesn't want to be a NT and we shouldn't have played him there.

Howard should have been our NT allowing Poe to use his speed to penetrate.

oh well

ct
03-16-2017, 01:53 PM

i fully expect he will have a great year in 2017, get paid, and we wont hear much of him as a top tier DT performer afterwards.

ModSocks
03-16-2017, 01:55 PM
i fully expect he will have a great year in 2017, get paid, and we wont hear much of him as a top tier DT performer afterwards.

I don't. I don't believe he'll have a strong 2017 at all.

I think he's going to bounce around the league on short term contracts and disappear into obscurity.

ModSocks
03-16-2017, 01:59 PM
It very much reminds me of Aubrayo Franklin. There was lots of hype about the guy in SF. Patrick Willis claimed that Franklin was the key to his success. The SF defense was vaunted because of their "anchor in the middle".

FA rolled around and he was the top NT in the league. Everyone thought he'd get this monster contract and he ended up getting just a one year deal in New Orleans, and subsequently fizzled out.

I remember thinking, "wtf happened to that guy?".

This feels just like that.

Hoover
03-16-2017, 02:02 PM
Poe is the second coming of B. J. Raji

ModSocks
03-16-2017, 02:04 PM
Poe is the second coming of B. J. Raji

Another solid example.

BossChief
03-16-2017, 02:04 PM
It very much reminds me of Aubrayo Franklin. There was lots of hype about the guy in SF. Patrick Willis claimed that Franklin was the key to his success. The SF defense was vaunted because of their "anchor in the middle".

FA rolled around and he was the top NT in the league. Everyone thought he'd get this monster contract and he ended up getting just a one year deal in New Orleans, and subsequently fizzled out.

I remember thinking, "wtf happened to that guy?".

This feels just like that.

I think you've hit the nail on the head.

I've been saying Poe is overrated for that reason for awhile.

Meatloaf
03-16-2017, 02:18 PM
Just an aside, but I remember back when Poe was being evaluated before the 2013 draft, one analyst first apologized for his take on Poe and then went on to suggest that he was raised and surrounded by a bunch of females, and was somewhat of a momma's boy. The analyst suggested that guys who were brought up in such an environment typically didn't pan out as well as expected (ie.e were a little soft). Not sure this is even pertinent to this discussion, but that assessment of Poe stuck with me. Carry on.

Chiefnj2
03-16-2017, 02:22 PM
All this crap about Poe being soft or never having a "fire" is a bunch of crap. Before his back injury he was well on his way to being a dominant NT. All things considered, he recovered from his surgery pretty quickly and got back on the field to play hurt. He may never be the same, or may never fully recover, but it is crap to say he is/was soft.

Revisionist history always seems to happen here. As soon as a player is gone, or thought to be gone, then he sucks.

NWTF
03-16-2017, 02:26 PM
I don't. I don't believe he'll have a strong 2017 at all.

I think he's going to bounce around the league on short term contracts and disappear into obscurity.

That wouldnt surprise me. I think thats more likely than him looking like a top tier NT going forward. Hes shown flashes of that, but he shows just as much laziness and just going thru the motions. Maybe injuries have taken their toll, but it is what it is.

DaFace
03-16-2017, 02:28 PM
I really hate that this news is buried in a megathread. Just for the record.

Reerun_KC
03-16-2017, 02:30 PM
All this crap about Poe being soft or never having a "fire" is a bunch of crap. Before his back injury he was well on his way to being a dominant NT. All things considered, he recovered from his surgery pretty quickly and got back on the field to play hurt. He may never be the same, or may never fully recover, but it is crap to say he is/was soft.

Revisionist history always seems to happen here. As soon as a player is gone, or thought to be gone, then he sucks.

And then we will bring some smashed ass scrub in and Ermahgerd hes the bestest because he puts on a Chiefs uniform...

ModSocks
03-16-2017, 02:30 PM

No, it's more like we're taking a step back and looking at it more objectively than we did as fans.

You'd be hard pressed to present evidence that he was a "fiery" player. Some in the media would call him "nasty", but he never exhibited a nastyness or a meanstreak.

And to be fair, BossChief did state that he thought Poe was over rated prior to FA.

I DID say that i believed he was a $6-8M player prior to FA. So for some of us this wasn't entirely unexpected.

Now, i'll also admit that i didn't think Poe would have to settle for a 1 year prove it deal. I fully expected him to get a multi-year deal in which a team drastically overpaid him.

But after the first day or two of free agency a picture was beginning to form that his market wouldn't be so great.

ModSocks
03-16-2017, 02:32 PM
If we look at Poe's career as an entirety from college to the pros, i think it paints a better picture than simply looking at a 1-2 year sample size.

It's quite possible that those 1-2 years were the outlier, and not the other way around.

It's certainly debateable right now with all things considered.

pugsnotdrugs19
03-16-2017, 02:33 PM

In some instances, maybe. But I know when Sean Smith left, there was some concern. He was playing really solid football in 2015 with no clear cut replacement. When Branden Albert left, everyone knew that could be a huge loss considering Fisher in 2013 and the fact that Stephenson wasn't proven.

In this case, Poe was maybe average in 2016, and just a tad better in 2015. We signed Logan already as his replacement and on paper that shouldn't be a downgrade.

I think those are just the facts of the situation.

ModSocks
03-16-2017, 02:34 PM
And then we will bring some smashed ass scrub in and Ermahgerd hes the bestest because he puts on a Chiefs uniform...

Works both ways.

We're a few weeks removed from many Chiefs fans believing he was a franchise tag caliber player only to realize the NFL doesn't view him that way at all. Not even close.

RippedmyFlesh
03-16-2017, 02:39 PM

I considered starting a thread but figured Id get blasted for not putting in an existing thread.

RippedmyFlesh
03-16-2017, 02:42 PM
In some instances, maybe. But I know when Sean Smith left, there was some concern. He was playing really solid football in 2015 with no clear cut replacement. When Branden Albert left, everyone knew that could be a huge loss considering Fisher in 2013 and the fact that Stephenson wasn't proven.

In this case, Poe was maybe average in 2016, and just a tad better in 2015. We signed Logan already as his replacement and on paper that shouldn't be a downgrade.

I think those are just the facts of the situation.

I know I was worried big time when Sean Smith left. I just could not believe how much he seemed to fall off after he left here.

DaFace
03-16-2017, 03:15 PM
I considered starting a thread but figured Id get blasted for not putting in an existing thread.

Feel free. And if anyone gives you shit for it, send them my way. I have no idea where the mentality has come from that all news should go in a megathread, but it bothers the fuck out of me.

Meatloaf
03-16-2017, 03:17 PM

Chiefnj2, I'm not suggesting that Poe was soft at all. I was simply sharing what I recall an analyst saying back in 2013. In my mind, Poe certainly isn't soft; however, he doesn't not seem to play with that "nasty" attitude you often see in football players.

Personally, I think his back issue had a lot to do with his lessor play last year. Back problems can be nasty for us mere mortals much less for a man carrying 350lbs.

RippedmyFlesh
03-16-2017, 03:24 PM
We were in a tough spot with poe. Being his existing team we couldn't offer a 1 year prove it deal like Atlanta did.

scho63
03-16-2017, 03:32 PM
Looks like Poe maybe only camp fodder at this point. No one too interested.

Poor guy got overused and abused with too many snaps.

raybec 4
03-16-2017, 04:44 PM
Looks like Poe maybe only camp fodder at this point. No one too interested.

Poor guy got overused and abused with too many snaps.

Nobody gives 8 mil to camp fodder.

TigeRRUppeRRcut
03-16-2017, 05:01 PM

Agreed. The guy was a beast. Commanded double teams routinely.

Dancing bear will be missed.

Coochie liquor
03-16-2017, 06:02 PM
Super Bowl hangover bound!

Fyp

SAUTO
03-16-2017, 06:04 PM
Agreed. The guy was a beast. Commanded double teams routinely.

Dancing bear will be missed.

He was missed last year.

Direckshun
03-16-2017, 06:05 PM

You're a mod.

Update the thread title and OP.

Chiefshrink
03-16-2017, 06:54 PM

Logan = Healthy back with a continuous motor.

Poe = Bad back and will take plays off.

DenverChief
03-16-2017, 06:55 PM
Can someone please either start a thread or edit the Op with the pertinent information on the contract details?

Black Bob
04-23-2017, 09:40 AM

This is a big part of why we cut Howard IMO.

Quesadilla Joe
05-23-2017, 06:53 AM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Among interior defenders, nobody has generated more quarterback hurries through their first three seasons in the NFL than Aaron Donald <a href="https://t.co/mOc4qznv3x">pic.twitter.com/mOc4qznv3x</a></p>&mdash; Pro Football Focus (@PFF) <a href="https://twitter.com/PFF/status/866960942218850305">May 23, 2017</a></blockquote>

Pasta Little Brioni
05-23-2017, 09:36 AM
Troll piece of shit

DaneMcCloud
05-23-2017, 09:59 AM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Among interior defenders, nobody has generated more quarterback hurries through their first three seasons in the NFL than Aaron Donald <a href="https://t.co/mOc4qznv3x">pic.twitter.com/mOc4qznv3x</a></p>&mdash; Pro Football Focus (@PFF) <a href="https://twitter.com/PFF/status/866960942218850305">May 23, 2017</a></blockquote>

The last two seasons of Poe's career as a Chief paled in comparison to his initial three seasons.

Maybe he'll return to form in Atlanta, maybe he won't (his snap count is ridiculously high).

Personally, I'm happy the Chiefs moved on.

RunKC
05-23-2017, 10:04 AM
Chris Jones was graded as the 2nd best interior rusher last year as a rookie. Only Aaron Donald was better.

DJ's left nut
05-23-2017, 10:07 AM
The last two seasons of Poe's career as a Chief paled in comparison to his initial three seasons.

Maybe he'll return to form in Atlanta, maybe he won't (his snap count is ridiculously high).

Personally, I'm happy the Chiefs moved on.

Yeah, that's pretty much a completely useless graphic.

NOBODY will argue against the premise that Dontari Poe was among the most disruptive players in football for his first 3 years. Even after his 4th year I was certain that bringing him back was the right move.

But by the end of last season it was obvious that the back injury and hard miles had taken their toll. He simply wasn't a very good player last year and that's after declining throughout the season in '15 as well.

Poe's on his way down and fairly quickly. He may be able to recapture SOME of his form and become a productive player again in Atlanta, but the guy he was, especially in that third season, is simply gone and it's not ever coming back.

DJ's left nut
05-23-2017, 10:18 AM
Man, this thread is beautiful.

http://chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=293617&highlight=back

Look at fucking idiot Laz being a fucking idiot. "Well this could be a good thing if he gets some rest..."

Gonna say I had this one right:

Oh shit.

Umm....a herniated disc? Yeah, that's really REALLY not good. Big guys with back issues never really shake them. He'll feel a slight knot back there, possibly for the rest of his life. And if he gets turned in just the wrong direction, that wall that is supposed to hold the disc in (which is now compromised) won't, the disc will bulge and the spine will pinch on it. At that point he ends up with shooting pain somewhere in his body (depending on which disc) and usually the muscles around the area bunch up incredibly tight and won't release so now that all hurts like hell as well.

This is really REALLY shitty news.

This is the kind of thing that will linger and could significantly impact his career going forward.