PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Combine Rumors: Dorsey says Chiefs are "Out of the FA Market"

pugsnotdrugs19
03-03-2017, 10:29 AM
Well, this is interesting.....

http://draftanalyst.com/combine-report-32-free-agency-rumors-more

From the article: General manager John Dorsey has told people here in Indianapolis that the Kansas City Chiefs are out of the free-agent market after the team recently re-signed safety Eric Berry and guard Laurent Duvernay-Tardif to large contracts.

Whether you want to believe it or not is your call, but it makes sense as to why he might be saying that given our cap situation. With most of the roster already still intact, it is possible that Dorsey decides to roll with their draft class and some late veteran additions on vet contracts.

The Franchise
03-03-2017, 10:32 AM
Makes sense. We can't afford anyone else.

NFL.com has our cap at somewhere around $9M right now.

staylor26
03-03-2017, 10:34 AM
No surprise here. Just bring in another great draft class (including a QB) and we're good.

The Franchise
03-03-2017, 10:35 AM
This draft class is going to be good for adding quality depth (and maybe 1 or 2 starters) to our roster. I still think they trade some picks though because I don't see how we're fitting 11 players on our roster.

pugsnotdrugs19
They need to extend or tender Santos and Sorenson, though...

They do that and its basically the same team - Poe + a draft class and whatever comes during camp.

RunKC
You can't be in the FA market every year. No team is.

The Chiefs are investing in talented home grown talent which is what you want.

Rooster
03-03-2017, 10:36 AM
It's just a smoke screen. Romo, AP and Brandon Marshall were all just spotted buying bread at Wal-Mart in Overland Park, KS.

You can't make that shit up.

pugsnotdrugs19
03-03-2017, 10:37 AM
This draft class is going to be good for adding quality depth (and maybe 1 or 2 starters) to our roster. I still think they trade some picks though because I don't see how we're fitting 11 players on our roster.

The offense is all coming back, and the only needs there appear to be developmental QB, HB, and WR depth.

On defense, this draft is supposed to be one of the deepest ever. Load up on it and we might get a few starters at some point in the future.

The Franchise
03-03-2017, 10:38 AM
The offense is all coming back, and the only needs there appear to be developmental QB, HB, and WR depth.

On defense, this draft is supposed to be one of the deepest ever. Load up on it and we might get a few starters at some point in the future.

I still think we would be better off drafting a swing tackle in the middle rounds and cutting Jah Reid.

And I wouldn't be surprised to see Reid and Dorsey run with the ILBs that we have now (barring a top one falling to them).

In58men
03-03-2017, 10:39 AM
Good no Tyrod Taylor

raybec 4
03-03-2017, 10:40 AM
The cap situation makes me believe this is true, that doesn't mean they still couldn't pull a trade off for some help. Maybe they could get Kendricks from Philly for our comp 3rd.

RunKC
03-03-2017, 10:41 AM
They need to extend or tender Santos and Sorenson, though...

They do that and its basically the same team - Poe + a draft class and whatever comes during camp.

No need for Dirty Dan when you've got a talented box stuffer in Eric Murray along with a great S class.

I disagree with part of Pest's post. There's a ton of depth guys we need to replace.

DAT
Reid
Fulton
O'Shags--we desperately need a blocker here
Gaines
Zombo

We need to buffer our depth. If we move a pick to go up and get a QB, I hope Dorsey trades down with the 2nd rd pick to make up for it.

This draft is going to have signficant value through round 4.

pugsnotdrugs19
03-03-2017, 10:42 AM
I still think we would be better off drafting a swing tackle in the middle rounds and cutting Jah Reid.

And I wouldn't be surprised to see Reid and Dorsey run with the ILBs that we have now (barring a top one falling to them).

All depends on what they think of JML. It seemed that they liked him, but then he wasn't used when brought back off IR.

As the roster is currently comprised, to me it is imperative that they draft a developmental QB, possible day one ILB, CB who can compete for a job, possible future starting RB, and a blocking TE.

The Franchise
03-03-2017, 10:43 AM
The cap situation makes me believe this is true, that doesn't mean they still couldn't pull a trade off for some help. Maybe they could get Kendricks from Philly for our comp 3rd.

That's the only thing that I would be ok with. And it wouldn't be for a comp 3rd. I'd throw them a 4th.

Red Dawg
03-03-2017, 10:44 AM
For the second straight year this team can't get better by making moves. You either get worse or better and we didn't get better last year and will not this year.

Spinning our wheels sucks. Maxed out cap and shit to show for it.

pugsnotdrugs19
03-03-2017, 10:44 AM
No need for Dirty Dan when you've got a talented box stuffer in Eric Murray along with a great S class.

I disagree with part of Pest's post. There's a ton of depth guys we need to replace.

DAT
Reid
Fulton
Gaines

We need to buffer our depth. If we move a pick to go up and get a QB, I hope Dorsey trades down with the 2nd rd pick to make up for it.

CB is a much bigger need than many talk about. Our starters seem fine, but everyone behind them showed no promise in 2016. Great CB class, a 2nd-3rd round pick would make sense.

raybec 4
03-03-2017, 10:46 AM
That's the only thing that I would be ok with. And it wouldn't be for a comp 3rd. I'd throw them a 4th.

Unless they think March-Lillard is the next Sam Mills they need to do something at ILB. I don't have any idea what Philly would want for Kendricks but they barely put him on the field last season.

pugsnotdrugs19
03-03-2017, 10:47 AM
For the second straight year this team can't get better by making moves. You either get worse or better and we didn't get better last year not will this year.

Spinning our wheels sucks.

Added Schwartz last year...

At the same time, how much better do they need to be? We can all acknowledge that the QB position needs a long term answer, but they aren't in a dire spot at any position really. They went 12-4 with Smith. That says a lot about what you already have IMO.

staylor26
03-03-2017, 10:48 AM
For the second straight year this team can't get better by making moves. You either get worse or better and we didn't get better last year not will this year.

:facepalm:

ModSocks
03-03-2017, 10:50 AM
As we should be. We don't really need any new starters. We just need our current starters to continue to develop and play better. The holes we have, including depth, can be had through the draft.

Feels good to say that and actually have confidence that the draft will in fact yield positive results.

raybec 4
03-03-2017, 10:50 AM
I'm surprised it took that long for this to deteriorate into a "Nothing matters as long as Smith is still here" thread.

ModSocks
03-03-2017, 10:51 AM
CB is a much bigger need than many talk about. Our starters seem fine, but everyone behind them showed no promise in 2016. Great CB class, a 2nd-3rd round pick would make sense.

I disagree. I thought DJ White started looking better towards the end of the season. Nelson has proven to be serviceable.

oldman
03-03-2017, 10:53 AM
I'm OK with not being buyers in the FA market. As previously pointed out, the draft pool is pretty deep and we're OK at most positions. We need an upgrade at swing tackle, another OG/C (quality backup, not a starter), and QB. I think we can find most other needs via the draft. I might tender both Dirty Dan and Santos, though.

DJ's left nut
03-03-2017, 10:55 AM
Well no kidding.

They'll get back in it next year, but there's no sense in going out there and doing anything this season, in a relatively weak crop, that will hamstring you for subsequent seasons.

I suspect they'd figure something out if it fell in their laps, but this was a pretty obvious 'regrouping' season and they'll be able to get involved again in '18. It happens and if it doesn't, you're heading towards a cliff in a hurry.

The Franchise
03-03-2017, 10:55 AM
I disagree. I thought DJ White started looking better towards the end of the season. Nelson has proven to be serviceable.

Drafting a CB is all going to hinge on what they think of Terrance Mitchell.

pugsnotdrugs19
03-03-2017, 10:56 AM

Nelson is a starter, though. We have 3 CBs on the field at almost all times.

I think depth there is a big need.

DJ's left nut
03-03-2017, 10:57 AM
All depends on what they think of JML. It seemed that they liked him, but then he wasn't used when brought back off IR.

As the roster is currently comprised, to me it is imperative that they draft a developmental QB, possible day one ILB, CB who can compete for a job, possible future starting RB, and a blocking TE.

I hope they're smart enough to never count on the guy again.

Anyone that's essentially missed consecutive seasons with injuries should just be presumed dead. Health is a skill and March doesn't have it. Sadly, Gaines doesn't either.

I can understand missing a season for some reason, but once you start missing consecutive seasons for different reasons, you're just fragile and it's time to move on.

The Franchise
03-03-2017, 10:57 AM
Well no kidding.

They'll get back in it next year, but there's no sense in going out there and doing anything this season, in a relatively weak crop, that will hamstring you for subsequent seasons.

I suspect they'd figure something out if it fell in their laps, but this was a pretty obvious 'regrouping' season and they'll be able to get involved again in '18. It happens and if it doesn't, you're heading towards a cliff in a hurry.

It would be pointless anyways. There are to many teams out there right now that have a metric shit ton of cap room. We'd never be able to compete.

Stinger
03-03-2017, 10:58 AM
For the second straight year this team can't get better by making moves. You either get worse or better and we didn't get better last year and will not this year.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v250/stinger871/Game%20Thread/JTe8qLT%20-%20Imgur_zpsw90iv2yf.gif (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/stinger871/media/Game%20Thread/JTe8qLT%20-%20Imgur_zpsw90iv2yf.gif.html)

Dante84
03-03-2017, 10:58 AM
Yeah, I believe it.

This is how the Packers work, and it's been a very successful recipe for them.

Generally speaking, there are three primary contracts that quality vets earn in their career:

1. Initial Contract: rookie through year 4 or 5 (or UDFA's after year 1, through year 4 or 5 if they are badasses). Player ages ~21 - ~26/7

2. The Big Payoff: 4-5 year deal after the Initial Contract. Player ages 26 through ~30/1.

3. The Surly Vet: 2-3 year deal after the Big Payoff. Player ages 30 - ~33/4

The goal is to get max value for minimum payment/cap implications. The best thing you can do is draft well (duh). You get studs, and they ball out for you for cheap. If they earn a payoff, great. If not, you let someone else pay a premium for them.... usually performing similar to the back-half of their rookie deal. ***And you get a Comp pick for letting them walk, which you use to continue to draft well.

The Patriots do this to perfection. And they cherry-pick the Surly Vets, as they may still have some value based on the reduced salary. Shit, some of the vets take discounts to try and win a ring.

If we can replicate this system, and it looks like we are doing a good job of it, it will be reflected in quality team depth (check), a surplus of draft picks (check), and the ability to move around (up?) in the draft as they deem necessary (remains to be seen...).

KC_Lee
03-03-2017, 10:59 AM

Sometimes....

https://i.embed.ly/1/display/resize?key=1e6a1a1efdb011df84894040444cdc60&url=http%3A%2F%2F33.media.tumblr.com%2F78ca81908ac5220a24239867b9a92526%2Ftumblr_mv15b8E0Fz1r4zr8xo2 _500.gif&width=810

pugsnotdrugs19
03-03-2017, 10:59 AM
It would be pointless anyways. There are to many teams out there right now that have a metric shit ton of cap room. We'd never be able to compete.

True. The market is flowing with so much cash, positional $ value is about to go way up for some poor reasons if I had to guess.

MMXcalibur
03-03-2017, 11:00 AM

This and a completely healthy Justin Houston is what has me extremely optimistic about next year.

.....I am setting myself up for heartbreak.

DJ's left nut
03-03-2017, 11:02 AM

In the draft needs thread in mid-season, I had CB as our most pressing need. Mitchell, OTOH, showed some serious sustainability.

At this point I'd put CB in the 'pool'. ILB stands apart from most positions as an area of true need, but just about every other position on the team is just 'eh, could use some depth and afford to be upgraded' and thus falls into the 'if the best player on the board is this position, take him' category.

If we get to 27 and your board has a CB at the top of it - grab him. But I think Mitchell showed just enough that you won't need to go reaching for anyone like we would have without Mitchell. We were up shits creek at CB until Mitchell came along and frankly, if Dorsey and crew think that's fool's gold, they may need to still take a reach pick over there.

This defense doesn't worth with a gap at CB2.

DJ's left nut
03-03-2017, 11:03 AM

Pretty much. The only thing they could do would be to offer 5 year deals with massive signing bonuses (to spread them out) and guaranteed salaries in years 2 and 3.

You'd end up offering around some HIDEOUS contracts to work in this market.

The Chiefs are short-stacked something serious; the best thing they can do is just stay under the radar and wait for next year.

The Franchise
03-03-2017, 11:04 AM
I'd love to see them trade for Kendricks but I'm sure that's just a pipe dream.

pugsnotdrugs19
03-03-2017, 11:05 AM
This defense doesn't work with a gap at CB2.

Nope, and that's why I think its a big need. Even if you like Mitchell, you are still an injury away from rocking the whole boat for the rest of the season.

RunKC
03-03-2017, 11:09 AM
CB is really deep this year. Grab one in rd 3 or 4 for insurance

ModSocks
03-03-2017, 11:09 AM

Is he currently under contract?

DJ's left nut
03-03-2017, 11:12 AM

1 more year; RFA next season and I don't believe it's possible to put any draft compensation on him as he was brought in off waivers. Not sure if he'd carry his original tender designation as a 7th rounder or not (guess Ware's example would be demonstrative but I don't recall if we tendered him before extending him).

raybec 4
03-03-2017, 11:14 AM

Yes, through 2017 at 690k

The Franchise
03-03-2017, 11:14 AM
1 more year; RFA next season and I don't believe it's possible to put any draft compensation on him as he was brought in off waivers. Not sure if he'd carry his original tender designation as a 7th rounder or not (guess Ware's example would be demonstrative but I don't recall if we tendered him before extending him).

I'd let him play out this year and then see what contract it would take to keep him. Now that I think about it....I could see Dorsey drafting a CB for that very purpose.

ModSocks
03-03-2017, 11:17 AM

Yes, through 2017 at 690k

Nice. I was wondering why i hadn't heard anything about him.

Danguardace
03-03-2017, 11:18 AM
Chiefs have done a pretty good job of succession planning the last 3 years

Peters, Ford and Jones have been right guy at the right time with the slight exception of Ford who I think they would have liked to be taking more of Hali's snaps by now.

Will be interesting to see what happens with this draft, if it follows the same pattern could suggest a WR or QB. I happen to think ILB is a little like RB now unless he is a stud you can find a guy in the 2nd or 3rd.

I also think some of the Chiefs guys on IR (all in the front 7) will be like FA pick ups, hopefully they come back fresh and hungry and get the Run Defense back to what it was.

Halfcan
03-03-2017, 11:19 AM
So, no Poe fo yo?

TigeRRUppeRRcut
03-03-2017, 11:20 AM
Basically, we are in a damn good situation (assuming Justin Houston and Maclin) play to their worth next season

raybec 4
03-03-2017, 11:22 AM
So, no Poe fo yo?

I doubt they can afford Poe, but it would be nice to have him back.

TigeRRUppeRRcut
03-03-2017, 11:23 AM
CB is really deep this year. Grab one in rd 3 or 4 for insurance

Yep. Dorsey said he feels that the draft is deep at CB, RB, Receiver

Halfcan
03-03-2017, 11:25 AM
I doubt they can afford Poe, but it would be nice to have him back.

That is what is looks like so far, they have had plenty of time to get a contract done. With all of his back trouble, I guess they are going to let Poe walk. I hope he does not end up in the division. :shake:

raybec 4
03-03-2017, 11:27 AM
That is what is looks like so far, they have had plenty of time to get a contract done. With all of his back trouble, I guess they are going to let Poe walk. I hope he does not end up in the division. :shake:

If he does, I think it would probably be Oakland. They have a pretty big need in their front 7.

RunKC
03-03-2017, 11:27 AM
If Peters or Mitchell get hurt this year we don't have much there. With a deep CB class, I think we can get some valuable depth.

Same thing with TE, OLB and RB.

raybec 4
03-03-2017, 11:30 AM
If Peters or Mitchell get hurt this year we don't have much there. With a deep CB class, I think we can get some valuable depth.

Same thing with TE, OLB and RB.

It's undervalued but I think we really need a decent TE2. Butter fingers Harris is hot garbage and no one else has shown the ability to do anything either.
It would be a great situational fit for Alex to have a Gronk/Hernandez duo since he's reluctant to stretch the field.

O.city
03-03-2017, 11:48 AM
I'd imagine they might sniff around a few depth late free agents but mostly their out. Which is good.

pugsnotdrugs19
03-03-2017, 12:14 PM
Taking a look at the current hypothetical depth chart, it becomes clear why it makes sense for the Chiefs to be out of the market financially and from a talent perspective. They have 66(!) players currently on the roster, and that doesn't include likely returnees such as Sorenson and Santos.

They could use upgraded depth at almost every position, like any team. But with potentially 68 players on the roster before FA even starts, they are in position to roll with the draft class alone.

The Franchise
03-03-2017, 12:17 PM
Taking a look at the current hypothetical depth chart, it becomes clear why it makes sense for the Chiefs to be out of the market financially and from a talent perspective. They have 66(!) players currently on the roster, and that doesn't include likely returnees such as Sorenson and Santos.

They could use upgraded depth at almost every position, like any team. But with potentially 68 players on the roster before FA even starts, they are in position to roll with the draft class alone.

Hopefully Dorsey uses all of those picks to move up in the draft if there's someone that he really wants. Either that or flips some for picks next year.

Rausch
Good.

Because Spiller is about the worst money spent in a year FULL OF HB'S...

Chiefnj2
Basically, we are in a damn good situation (assuming Justin Houston and Maclin) play to their worth next season

Good situation, except for the whole quarterback and Reid calling plays thing that has held the team back the last few years.

Rausch
03-03-2017, 12:18 PM
Good situation, except for the whole quarterback and Reid calling plays thing that has held the team back the last few years.

FACT...

pugsnotdrugs19
03-03-2017, 12:22 PM
Hopefully Dorsey uses all of those picks to move up in the draft if there's someone that he really wants. Either that or flips some for picks next year.

It would certainly make sense for KC to use more picks in 2018 than this year, as our 2018 FA class is full of JAG/depth level players who will be able to get paid more than we should pay to keep them.

TigeRRUppeRRcut
03-03-2017, 12:30 PM

Why stop there will your inane responses you could have included that we are a team in Kansas city and that teams wearing red jerseys never win it all in this era....

KChiefs1
03-03-2017, 12:33 PM
RB's are doing their 40's now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RippedmyFlesh
03-03-2017, 12:34 PM

Agree 100% its not like when he first came here and we needed to purge the roster. Turn the current numbers of picks to 7 or 8. Dorsey is good enough to get extra value with even slightly higher picks.

Chiefnj2
03-03-2017, 12:38 PM
Why stop there will your inane responses you could have included that we are a team in Kansas city and that teams wearing red jerseys never win it all in this era....

I stopped because the biggest problems pretty much begin and end with Smith and Reid.

The other big problem is that KC isn't getting a good return on their biggest investments. Highest paid players - Smith (enough said), Maclin (always hurt down the stretch and limited because of Smith), Houston (hurt), Fisher (good, not great) and Berry the one top dog actually earning his paycheck.

oldman
03-03-2017, 12:50 PM
I'd target Cunningham at ILB if he's still there. Otherwise, I kind of like Anthony Walker from Northwestern as 3-4 round pick. If we go with a CB, I'd like Sidney Jones or Andoree Jackson. Oh yeah, and a QB.

Ecto-I
03-03-2017, 12:53 PM
Good. If you look at our team roster top to bottom, the vast majority is home grown talent either through the draft, rookie UFAs, or vets who were nothing before coming here. The only notable non-homegrown talents are Alex Smith, Jeremy Maclin, and Mitchel Schwartz. That's IT!

Great teams aren't built through FA. It's just a supplement.

Hog's Gone Fishin
03-03-2017, 01:03 PM
We still have enough to sign our draft class and fucking JOHNNY MANZIEL !

Rooster
03-03-2017, 01:29 PM
We still have enough to sign our draft class and ****ing JOHNNY MANZIEL !

I admire your consistency. :D

Mr. Laz
03-03-2017, 01:57 PM
Berry was our free agency.

Dorsey will still be dumpster diving though.

The Franchise
03-03-2017, 01:58 PM
Berry was our free agency.

Dorsey will still be dumpster diving though.

He seems to be decent at that.

Marcellus
03-03-2017, 02:16 PM

Good God.

Do you know how you get better? You draft good players, not through free agency.

Who out there is the guy we need to take us over the top?

Marcellus
03-03-2017, 02:17 PM
Makes sense. We can't afford anyone else.

NFL.com has our cap at somewhere around $9M right now.

Foles release will free up another $6MM.

TigeRRUppeRRcut
03-03-2017, 02:18 PM
Good. If you look at our team roster top to bottom, the vast majority is home grown talent either through the draft, rookie UFAs, or vets who were nothing before coming here. The only notable non-homegrown talents are Alex Smith, Jeremy Maclin, and Mitchel Schwartz. That's IT!

Great teams aren't built through FA. It's just a supplement.

Troof!

The Franchise
03-03-2017, 02:20 PM
No point in signing anyone anyways. They'd end up just voiding the comp pick for Poe next year.

Mr. Laz
03-03-2017, 03:43 PM
He seems to be decent at that.

yep

This will be a heavy dumpster-diving offseason for us.

Might see extra UDFA's guys as well.

Easy 6
03-03-2017, 05:25 PM
I'm fine with this, put another A draft together this year and save our money for a big push in 2018

Coochie liquor
03-03-2017, 05:43 PM
I'm fine with this, put another A draft together this year and save our money for a big push in 2018

This!! IF we draft a qb this year (:fear::facepalm:) then we could dump Maclin next season (if we don't this offseason) and get a better WR in FA for our qb to work with after Smith is gone. Getting one now would be a waste.

Easy 6
03-03-2017, 05:46 PM
This!! IF we draft a qb this year (:fear::facepalm:) then we could dump Maclin next season (if we don't this offseason) and get a better WR in FA for our qb to work with after Smith is gone. Getting one now would be a waste.

Yeah, hate to be this way and do not intend to derail this thread into Smith... but IMHO we're just gonna be treading water with Smith this year

Same shit we always get from him... maybe a wildcard win, then let the offseason begin!

Mr. Laz
03-03-2017, 06:42 PM
Getting one now would be a waste.
Not just stupid, but fucking stupid

Everyone said getting Maclin at all would be a waste yet he had the 2nd best year of his career KC.

KC 1st yr was 87 rec, 1,088 yrds 12.5 avg, 8 TD
(Philly best was 85 rec 1,318 yrds 15.5 avg 10 td)

Hardly a waste

Maclin was dragging this year so Kelce and Hill took his numbers.
Kelce 85 rec, 1,125 yrds, 13.2 avg, 4 TD
Hill 61 rec 593 yrds, 9.7 avg 6 TD

Even in Reid's douche-dink offense, we've improved our passing game with better receiving options.

Clearly, if we had a better QB all those numbers will go up but if we had a better offensive coordinator those numbers would also go up as well.

Coochie liquor
03-03-2017, 06:59 PM
Not just stupid, but fucking stupid

Everyone said getting Maclin at all would be a waste yet he had the 2nd best year of his career KC.

KC 1st yr was 87 rec, 1,088 yrds 12.5 avg, 8 TD
(Philly best was 85 rec 1,318 yrds 15.5 avg 10 td)

Hardly a waste

Maclin was dragging this year so Kelce and Hill took his numbers.
Kelce 85 rec, 1,125 yrds, 13.2 avg, 4 TD
Hill 61 rec 593 yrds, 9.7 avg 6 TD

Even in Reid's douche-dink offense, we've improved our passing game with better receiving options.

Clearly, if we had a better QB all those numbers will go up but if we had a better offensive coordinator those numbers would also go up as well.

So we should go ahead and get a big time WR in FA this offseason although we're cap strapped. Because we've got a qb who's shown that he can not only go through a complete season without throwing a td to a WR, but also could go through a complete season less 1 game and a partial game and only throw 15 td's with Maclin, Kelce, Hill, Ware as main weapons. So yeah let's just go get Smith another weapon to underutilize...:facepalm:

'Hamas' Jenkins
03-03-2017, 07:11 PM
The Chiefs are in an extremely weird position of spending themselves into a situation of standing pat despite the team that is assembled not being good enough to compete for a championship.

They keep pimping out a Nissan Maxima, trying to pass it off as a Skyline. Without a new engine, it's dead on arrival.

T-post Tom
03-03-2017, 07:43 PM
First wave of FA is most always overpriced. The Chiefs don't have many holes...and most of them can be filled in the draft. (Insert Alex Smith barb here...:)) Wouldn't be shocked if the Chiefs pick up a "bargain" very late in FA.

beach tribe
03-03-2017, 09:13 PM
Didn't he say the same shit last year.....And then signed Schwartz.

The Bad Guy
03-03-2017, 09:52 PM

DAT
Reid
Fulton
Gaines
Zombo

This defense needs 4 safeties to fully function. Sorensen is an ascending player who did a great job last year. You don't let him go. Absolutely not.

You also don't replace a ton of depth guys when most of them cost next to nothing.

The Bad Guy
03-03-2017, 09:52 PM
I also don't believe the Chiefs are out on every potential free agent.

-King-
03-03-2017, 10:31 PM
The Chiefs are in an extremely weird position of spending themselves into a situation of standing pat despite the team that is assembled not being good enough to compete for a championship.

They keep pimping out a Nissan Maxima, trying to pass it off as a Skyline. Without a new engine, it's dead on arrival.

And yet next year they'll have tens of millions to play with.
Posted via Mobile Device

Mr. Laz
03-03-2017, 10:34 PM
So we should go ahead and get a big time WR in FA this offseason although we're cap strapped. Because we've got a qb who's shown that he can not only go through a complete season without throwing a td to a WR, but also could go through a complete season less 1 game and a partial game and only throw 15 td's with Maclin, Kelce, Hill, Ware as main weapons. So yeah let's just go get Smith another weapon to underutilize...:facepalm:
I didn't say we should get another one.

I've already said that our FA's period money was taken by Berry.

But you were implying that getting a WR was a waste because of our QB blah,blah,blah ... *insert bullshit here* blah,blah,blah.

Just tired of hearing crap

Alex Smith is limited and we should try to improve the position. That's it.

All this other crying, whiny bullshit that invades virtually EVERY OTHER threads is dumb. We should do our best to improve every position, including WR, when it makes sense financially for the team to do so. Has nothing to do with Alex Smith.

Better tools mean a better offense.

I wish Andy Reid would hire someone to upgrade the OC position, but he won't do that either.

Mr. Laz
03-03-2017, 10:36 PM
I also don't believe the Chiefs are out on every potential free agent.
It would probably be more accurate to say "out of the high-dollar FA market"

TribalElder
03-03-2017, 10:39 PM
We don't have the money for free agents do we?

The NFL has made it where you need to play rookies or people on first time contracts

'Hamas' Jenkins
03-03-2017, 11:24 PM
And yet next year they'll have tens of millions to play with.
Posted via Mobile Device

We'll see.

A lot of that is going to be eaten up by increases in the salaries of guys like Kelce, Parker, Bailey, Berry, Duvernay-Tardiff, a likely extension for Morse. Nevertheless, assume they have several tens of millions to play with. Are you going to be able to add enough to win with a 35-year-old Alex Smith? If not, who are you replacing him with?

-King-
03-03-2017, 11:59 PM
We'll see.

A lot of that is going to be eaten up by increases in the salaries of guys like Kelce, Parker, Bailey, Berry, Duvernay-Tardiff, a likely extension for Morse. Nevertheless, assume they have several tens of millions to play with. Are you going to be able to add enough to win with a 35-year-old Alex Smith? If not, who are you replacing him with?

Draft a QB in the first couple rounds and have him sit behind Smith for a year.
Posted via Mobile Device

BryanBusby
03-04-2017, 12:14 AM
We'll see.

I think the bigger question is, Will Alex be on the roster in 2018?

I don't think you can look at 3500 15 TD and say yep, that's worth 20.6 mil.

Nickhead
03-04-2017, 12:23 AM
I think the bigger question is, Will Alex be on the roster in 2018?

I don't think you can look at 3500 15 TD and say yep, that's worth 20.6 mil.

see, if alex had rushed for another 400 yards last season, you could at least say he didn't regress any. but man those footsteps you hear in your rear view mirror get loud after a couple shots to the head. without his head on his legs he is at best alex cassell. :D

'Hamas' Jenkins
03-04-2017, 12:28 AM
Posted via Mobile Device

Oh, but there just a few pieces away. Add another WR/S/CB/ILB/RB and Smith will have enough to take them to the promised land. Why waste a premium pick on a guy who can't help right now?

pugsnotdrugs19
03-04-2017, 01:23 AM
The Chiefs will have over $50M in cap space next offseason by cutting Smith, DJ, and Hali. Those look like easy calls at this point, assuming you have a capable QB ready and DJ doesn't have another miraculous comeback.

The cap situation past this year isn't that bad at all.

-King-
03-04-2017, 01:41 AM
Oh, but there just a few pieces away. Add another WR/S/CB/ILB/RB and Smith will have enough to take them to the promised land. Why waste a premium pick on a guy who can't help right now?

I agree that they can go to the Superbowl with Smith. But I don't think they need so much this year that they can't afford to draft a QB to sit for a year. They have 4 picks in the first 3 round, that's more than enough to draft 3 players that can fill immediate needs and draft a QB that can sit for a year.
Posted via Mobile Device

Nickhead
03-04-2017, 02:46 AM
I agree that they can go to the Superbowl with Smith. But I don't think they need so much this year that they can't afford to draft a QB to sit for a year. They have 4 picks in the first 3 round, that's more than enough to draft 3 players that can fill immediate needs and draft a QB that can sit for a year.
Posted via Mobile Device

the only way smith can lead the chiefs to a super bowl, let alone a win in the game is assuming the chiefs finished 16-0 and the rest of the league finished 7-9 :D

-King-
03-04-2017, 03:34 AM
the only way smith can lead the chiefs to a super bowl, let alone a win in the game is assuming the chiefs finished 16-0 and the rest of the league finished 7-9 :D
Yeah because the QBs that have went to the Superbowl lately have had all time great playoff performances huh?
Posted via Mobile Device

Nickhead
03-04-2017, 03:50 AM
Yeah because the QBs that have went to the Superbowl lately have had all time great playoff performances huh? :Rolleyes:
Posted via Mobile Device

both mannings, ben, matt damon ( i mean brady ), brees, rodgers, etc...

you know what, they all LED THE FUCKING LEAGUE IN SOMETHING OTHER THAN 6 YARD PASSES. :D

-King-
03-04-2017, 04:11 AM
both mannings, ben, matt damon ( i mean brady ), brees, rodgers, etc...

you know what, they all LED THE FUCKING LEAGUE IN SOMETHING OTHER THAN 6 YARD PASSES. :D

Roethlisberger is fucking terrible in the playoffs. Brees doesn't even make the playoffs. Rodgers is the poster child for losing in the divisional round.

Wtf are you even talking about?
Posted via Mobile Device

-King-
03-04-2017, 04:15 AM
Brady is the only QB that consistently plays well in the playoffs. He's they only one that would be odds on favorite to go to the Superbowl any given year. All other QBs are a toss up.
Posted via Mobile Device

RunKC
03-04-2017, 09:03 AM
I'd really like to see Dorsey do what Belichick has done so well.

Look at some failed first round picks in bad places that you liked before and get a 1st/2nd rd value for cheap. Bill does this all the time and Eric Rowe was his most recent example. Flat out steal.

The Bad Guy
03-04-2017, 09:07 AM
We'll see.

Their increases are already factored into that amount.

oldman
03-04-2017, 09:38 AM
Posted via Mobile Device

I don't have a problem with this, except let's not over value a guy. In other words, don't spend a 1st on a guy that should be a 3rd rounder. We see this every year with teams like Cleveland and such. Just about every one of the 2017 class needs a lot of work and may never develop. The air raid offenses that some schools use just don't fit in the NFL. Yeah, the guy threw for a million yards and 20K TDs, but that's college. Can he read a defense, make the throws into tight coverage, etc., etc., etc.?

Hammock Parties
03-04-2017, 09:46 AM
We'll see.

The Chiefs can save around $37 million by cutting Smith, Maclin, Johnson and Hali next offseason. That would give them about $67 million in cap room.

But that doesn't include Berry and Tardif's contracts. So put them around $47 million if they cut those guys. That's only with 33 guys under contract though, 29 if they cut the aforementioned.

http://overthecap.com/salary-cap/kansas-city-chiefs/

MotherfuckerJones
03-04-2017, 09:46 AM
Go nab Hightower. Get it done.

oldman
03-04-2017, 09:52 AM
Why would we cut Berry and Doc only to lose $20M in cap room? I personally don't think Hali will be back after this season anyway.

Hammock Parties
03-04-2017, 09:53 AM
Why would we cut Berry and Doc only to lose $20M in cap room?

Not them. The other players.

TEX
03-04-2017, 10:37 AM
I don't have a problem with this, except let's not over value a guy. In other words, don't spend a 1st on a guy that should be a 3rd rounder. We see this every year with teams like Cleveland and such. Just about every one of the 2017 class needs a lot of work and may never develop. The air raid offenses that some schools use just don't fit in the NFL. Yeah, the guy threw for a million yards and 20K TDs, but that's college. Can he read a defense, make the throws into tight coverage, etc., etc., etc.?

Exactly. The defenses are way more sophisticated and the windows are much smaller in the pros.