PDA

View Full Version : Life Taking a 6 month sabbatical from work

scho63
03-04-2017, 08:52 AM
It has been 17 years since I've had a real vacation and I'm burnt out. Since I left Silicon Valley in late 2001-early 2002 I have been on this never ending yo-yo of extreme highs and lows. At nearly 54 years old, I've faced a lot of self reflection of what I want out of the remaining part of my life, whatever that may be.

After working for 14 companies in that time and almost six with my current employer, I've decided to resign from a $100,000+ job and move to Scottsdale AZ to take a 6 month sabbatical from any and all work. My only job for the next half of year is to lose 75-100 pounds, get a great tan, and improve my golf game so I can have a 8 or 9 handicap again.

I'm leaving around the 16th or so of this month and spending a week or so driving out visiting friends along the way I know from my childhood.

While it was really scary to walk away from a great job to go to a place with no job, no home and just one or two friends there, I am really excited to be entering a new chapter in my life. :D

It is a short ride we are on so you better enjoy it along the way!

Sofa King
03-04-2017, 09:03 AM
Good luck and have fun man. Sounds awesome!

BlackHelicopters
03-04-2017, 09:06 AM
Are you in a position to completely retire?

MahiMike
03-04-2017, 09:18 AM
Good for you. Do it while you can.

I'm taking 2 weeks off. Feels like 2 months.

Enjoy it.

Halfcan
03-04-2017, 09:25 AM
Losing 75-100 pounds will add several years onto your life. Sounds like a very smart decision to put your health before money.

Best of luck- you only get one shot at this thing called life, you might as well do what makes you happy.

Chief Northman
03-04-2017, 09:33 AM
Good luck to you sir. Take care of yourself.

bdj23
03-04-2017, 09:37 AM
I'm going to Europe for two weeks at the end of summer (i think you commented in my thread on it) I haven't had two weeks without working since I was a Junior in high school.

I cannot wait.

Good luck man. We weren't put on this earth to be mindless worker drones.

oldman
03-04-2017, 09:48 AM
I retired the 1st time at 52 from a highly stressful job in a town I hated. The first few months were filled with buying a new home, getting it together (it was under construction when we bought it), and working on my golf game and drinking beer. But I did get bored after a while and went back to work just for something to do. Stayed there for 18 months and retired again. But I got antsy again after a couple years and found another job for 3 1/2 years. It was well paid and was in a field I was an immediate star in, but the 80 mile roundtrip daily started to wear on me. I now work 10-12 hours a week at something I love, I'm my own boss, and I'm able to turn down stuff I don't want to do.
So, if you can do it, go for it and don't look back.

ChiliConCarnage
03-04-2017, 09:52 AM
I really like where I'm working at now. That said, it's stressful
I'm in the same kind of position you are Scho and I've definitely thought that when I leave I might take some serious time off. I worry a bit that it'll look bad when trying to get new jobs though.

I've also thought a lot about taking a step back in position. Something where I just went into the office at x hour and left at y everyday and that was all the job encompassed. I'm typing this sitting in the office on what looks like a nice saturday morning. Had a couple minutes waiting for something to run

Squalor2
03-04-2017, 10:10 AM
good luck and get your batteries recharged. walking those golf outings for 6 months would go a long ways on shedding some weight.

beach tribe
03-04-2017, 10:26 AM
Doesn't matter as long as Alex is the QB.

Rain Man
03-04-2017, 10:53 AM
Awesome. Enjoy the time off.

My wife and I often ponder doing something like this. But every other year or so I take a month off to go wander, and I find that I'm really ready to get back to my normal life after that amount of time. My wife is the same way, though perhaps with an even shorter cycle. So it works best for me to go with more frequent breaks that are a month or so.

I think I'm going to take about 40 days off next year, though. If my plans work out, I've got a pretty cool trip planned, and it'll take that amount of time.

Rain Man
03-04-2017, 10:54 AM
Oh, and just because we all look out for each other, you don't need to lose 75-100 pounds if you weigh under 175. Anorexia can be deadly.

gblowfish
03-04-2017, 11:03 AM
Good Luck, Scho. Let us know when you get re-settled.

Bwana
03-04-2017, 11:34 AM
Good for you. :thumb:

Squalor2
03-04-2017, 11:37 AM
wait, did you post in rainmans relocation thread....?

TrebMaxx
03-04-2017, 11:50 AM
I left a well paying but high stress job when I was close to 50. Thought about being semi-retired, taking on small jobs in my field here and there. After about a year and a half I started going a bit stir crazy and decided to get a job albeit a low stress job. Found a good government job that doesn't pay like my previous job did but is very low stress and in my skill set. I will be 54 in a few months and will be able to retire with a pension at 60 if I choose to. I have found that money isn't everything and I am much happier now. Good luck to you Scho, sounds like you have a great plan.

Hog's Gone Fishin
03-04-2017, 12:16 PM
I'm exactly where you're at Scho. Will be 54 in September and haven't had any real time off in 30 years. Having 15,000 head of live animals and 12 half brain dead employees doesn't allow any time to relax. It's 7 days a week. Both my knees are shot ,a herniated disc and now need glasses to open a damn beer. My goal is to retire at 55 and I have a new bass boat in my near future. Good luck on your next chapter in life.

displacedinMN
03-04-2017, 12:25 PM
good for you. I hope you find what you want. Many would like to do that.

This is why teaching and summers off helps. I get 2-3 months off to relax and refresh. When people complain that teachers get time off-it is to relax. And it is unpaid. But I have been at it 24 years.

Buehler445
03-04-2017, 12:40 PM
You've got balls of steel man, I'd never think I was in a good enough position to do that. I guess too much bad (and expensive) shit has happened, that no matter how much money I had, I'd worry it wasn't enough.

I'm exactly where you're at Scho. Will be 54 in September and haven't had any real time off in 30 years. Having 15,000 head of live animals and 12 half brain dead employees doesn't allow any time to relax. It's 7 days a week. Both my knees are shot ,a herniated disc and now need glasses to open a damn beer. My goal is to retire at 55 and I have a new bass boat in my near future. Good luck on your next chapter in life.

Yours are only half brain dead? You win!

PunkinDrublic
03-04-2017, 03:12 PM

Do you have days where you feel like you will be the last boar semen extractor of your kind and when you die your craft will die with you because with technology and the gotta have it now demand for boar semen nobody is trained in the old ways anymore?

SAUTO
03-04-2017, 03:20 PM
It has been 17 years since I've had a real vacation and I'm burnt out. Since I left Silicon Valley in late 2001-early 2002 I have been on this never ending yo-yo of extreme highs and lows. At nearly 54 years old, I've faced a lot of self reflection of what I want out of the remaining part of my life, whatever that may be.

After working for 14 companies in that time and almost six with my current employer, I've decided to resign from a $100,000+ job and move to Scottsdale AZ to take a 6 month sabbatical from any and all work. My only job for the next half of year is to lose 75-100 pounds, get a great tan, and improve my golf game so I can have a 8 or 9 handicap again.

I'm leaving around the 16th or so of this month and spending a week or so driving out visiting friends along the way I know from my childhood.

While it was really scary to walk away from a great job to go to a place with no job, no home and just one or two friends there, I am really excited to be entering a new chapter in my life. :D

Get close with lewdog I think he's in to pumping people up.

Bowser
03-04-2017, 03:21 PM
Good for you, scho. Go live life a little while you can still enjoy it.

TLO
03-04-2017, 04:33 PM
How are you planning to lose the weight, if I might ask?

Couch-Potato
03-04-2017, 04:37 PM
you're my new hero.

Demonpenz
03-04-2017, 04:43 PM
I hear about people doing this in my field lots of time. 95 percent of the time the are kicking themselves for losing PTO and the pay when coming back and they wish they would have just stayed until retirement. Now they may never retire. I am sure it will work out for you.

scho63
03-04-2017, 05:38 PM
How are you planning to lose the weight, if I might ask?

Thank you everyone for the kind words. Interesting to see others have done this.

I am no where close to enough money for retirement but at this point I really don't give a shit. I need to get back the passion and drive I lost. That's the number one priority.

When I see all the people I love like my Mom and Dad dying at 57 and 60, young friends and several recent CP members in my age bracket, it really puts things in perspective.

I have a 24 gym I will be joining and expect to be there no less than 6 days a week if no everyday. Elliptical works great for me along with free weights and a few machines.

I expect to lay in the sun and sleep everyday at a public pool I have already identified and then hit the gym in the evenings for 3-4 hours. That will be my job.......

Demonpenz
03-04-2017, 05:47 PM
I would get in the habit doing a food journal. Make that shit a habit first. You would be surprised how many calories you take in a day. From there once you get a long look at what you are actually eating it makes you think about that candy bar knowing you would have to run 2 miles to get that off.

Dallas Chief
03-04-2017, 05:50 PM
Thank you everyone for the kind words. Interesting to see others have done this.

I am no where close to enough money for retirement but at this point I really don't give a shit. I need to get back the passion and drive I lost. That's the number one priority.

When I see all the people I love like my Mom and Dad dying at 57 and 60, young friends and several recent CP members in my age bracket, it really puts things in perspective.

I have a 24 gym I will be joining and expect to be there no less than 6 days a week if no everyday. Elliptical works great for me along with free weights and a few machines.

I expect to lay in the sun and sleep everyday at a public pool I have already identified and then hit the gym in the evenings for 3-4 hours. That will be my job.......

Best of luck man. I'm about 10 years behind you and hope I can call it quits for good by the time I'm 55. Been working since I was 15 at one thing or another. Can't remember a time I didn't have a job. Thanks for sharing and for the inspiration to take leap!

TLO
03-04-2017, 06:31 PM
I would get in the habit doing a food journal. Make that shit a habit first. You would be surprised how many calories you take in a day. From there once you get a long look at what you are actually eating it makes you think about that candy bar knowing you would have to run 2 miles to get that off.

This isn't bad advice

Rain Man
03-04-2017, 07:38 PM
you're my new hero.

I knew I couldn't stay on top of your list forever, but it still hurts.

scho63
03-04-2017, 08:01 PM

Hard to disagree.

I love veggies of all kinds, salads, and many healthy things.

My two downfall items: bread of all kinds- for sandwiches, for burgers, Italian bread with pasta, French bread with butter and dijon mustard, naan with indian, tortillas with soft tacos.

Second is cheese. I could eat 3 pounds a day. My charcuterie and cheese platters are legendary.

Squalor2
03-04-2017, 08:12 PM
welp.

tx4chiefs
03-04-2017, 08:19 PM
Big decision. Good luck!

Stryker
03-04-2017, 09:08 PM
I am your same age. I wish you the very best and congrats on your decision. I am in the same income range as you but I do not have the same stress level. If I could take that kind of time I would but I would feel lost from my sincere second family at work. The wife and I take a week alone on the shores of San Destin and get revived. I wish you nothing but the best and enjoy the time off, away from the hustle and bustle! Cheers! :toast::toast::toast: I am currently on a 12 and a 1/2 hour day go live where I work for 10 to possible 14 days. With 5 weeks of vacation, I will enjoy sun and fun 3 months from now with my better half! Best wishes!

JohnnyHammersticks
03-04-2017, 10:22 PM

Weird how similar our situations are. Same age-range. Just sold my business and am taking at least a year off. Haven't had a real vacation since 2007. First day of freedom was February 1st. Just got back from a week in Scottsdale. Played Grayhawk, Talking Stick, The Raven, Legacy, and The Phoenician. Good luck, and enjoy the time off! Life's too short to grind it all away without enjoying the fruits of your labor.

Rain Man
03-04-2017, 10:35 PM
You've got balls of steel man, I'd never think I was in a good enough position to do that. I guess too much bad (and expensive) shit has happened, that no matter how much money I had, I'd worry it wasn't enough.

Yeah, I've never had a safety net, so it would be hard to voluntarily give up pay. I'm always doing the math on my finances, thinking, "Okay, if I became homeless how much money would I have for food if I just lived off interest and dividends?" It's hard to change that mindset.

JohnnyHammersticks
03-04-2017, 10:40 PM
In the immortal words of the ancient philosopher Trey Anastasio, "Can't I live while I'm young?"

Shaid
03-04-2017, 10:42 PM
Good luck to you. Hopefully you find something fulfilling on the horizon.

Rain Man
03-04-2017, 10:48 PM
Good luck to you. Hopefully you find something fulfilling on the horizon.

In Scottsdale, I think the horizon is pretty much all senior communities.

lewdog
03-04-2017, 10:54 PM

Say what?!

Scottsdale is happening and full of fun, not the senior community (that's Sun City). Only worry I have in this is Scho wanting to go out and booze/party every night while living there. :D

JohnnyHammersticks
03-04-2017, 11:15 PM

You're thinking of the wrong side of Phoenix. Scottsdale is happening. Especially now with spring training going. We partied like rock stars there last week, bars and clubs were overflowing. You can't walk 5 steps in Scottsdale or Tempe without running into a young hottie.

Nickhead
03-05-2017, 01:18 AM
i was forced into my sabbatical, but it was good as i needed out of the printing on paper industry. even if i get stuck in retail for a short time, at least there will be security in food and clothing. i mean if macdonalds pay's 16, surely i can find something for 26, right? :D

Demonpenz
03-05-2017, 01:27 AM
Hard to disagree.

I love veggies of all kinds, salads, and many healthy things.

My two downfall items: bread of all kinds- for sandwiches, for burgers, Italian bread with pasta, French bread with butter and dijon mustard, naan with indian, tortillas with soft tacos.

Second is cheese. I could eat 3 pounds a day. My charcuterie and cheese platters are legendary.

In my food journal it is painful to keep on writing Cookies 400 calories ice cream 600 calories. You have to be consistant with keeping one but it does make you think about your choices. Measure your shit as well. It is lots of work and you should be uncomfortable but not like going crazy with hunger. You definately have to be comfortable with being uncomfortable when you are forming new habits.

ptlyon
03-05-2017, 11:19 AM
Good luck scho, takes balls!

58-4ever
03-05-2017, 11:22 AM
This is awesome. I wish I could do the same. I'm going to work myself into a position to do just this.

Mr. Kotter
03-05-2017, 11:26 AM
Best wishes and good luck. God bless.

Pants
03-05-2017, 12:01 PM

LMAO

Rausch
03-05-2017, 12:33 PM
If the goal is to improve your health you won't regret it.

GloryDayz
03-05-2017, 12:41 PM

That's awesome. I'd upgrade to Italy, but maybe you're more the AZ type.

GloryDayz
03-05-2017, 12:56 PM
If the market stays nominal, the summer of 2020 should have me over then line for the desired replacement rate and 100% safe in the KMA club. I'm not saying I walk that day, I just look forward to knowing the money will be there should I decide to. Mostly I'm stocking up on coin for the younger son's college when he gets there. Until then it's the daily grind of the gym in the morning (to keep the doctor's pie-hole shut), and work after that.

One day I look forward to driving to the gym, weekdays, when the sun's up. But not that I have the younger son going, it's "funner than ever" (as he says). But yeah, it'll be difficult to adjust to the folks at the gym once the working class folks have left for work! Soccer moms! Ha!

Hopefully I'll be doing it all in Northern Italy!

cwhocares
03-05-2017, 01:05 PM
For you younger guys, Manage your money now. Put as much as you can into your retirement funds. (Pretax or not) DON"T try keeping up with everyone else. Pay cash for as much as you can. The mind set "it's only $50.00 a month payment" will get you into trouble. I retired 4 years ago at 55 and don't regret a day of it. Our expenses our set up on my retirement income and does not include my wife's income. Manage yourself now so you can live a life after work.

GloryDayz
03-05-2017, 01:07 PM
For you younger guys, Manage your money now. Put as much as you can into your retirement funds. (Pretax or not) DON"T try keeping up with everyone else. Pay cash for as much as you can. The mind set "it's only $50.00 a month payment" will get you into trouble. I retired 4 years ago at 55 and don't regret a day of it. Our expenses our set up on my retirement income and does not include my wife's income. Manage yourself now so you can live a life after work.

This... Feed the pig!

MahiMike
03-05-2017, 01:41 PM
I left a well paying but high stress job when I was close to 50. Thought about being semi-retired, taking on small jobs in my field here and there. After about a year and a half I started going a bit stir crazy and decided to get a job albeit a low stress job. Found a good government job that doesn't pay like my previous job did but is very low stress and in my skill set. I will be 54 in a few months and will be able to retire with a pension at 60 if I choose to. I have found that money isn't everything and I am much happier now. Good luck to you Scho, sounds like you have a great plan.

A govt job sounds great.

TrebMaxx
03-05-2017, 04:05 PM
A govt job sounds great.
The best part of a gov job is a pension after only being there 10 years. My previous job had a decent 401K, they matched up to 6% of which I of course took advantage of. They also did profit sharing which grew the nest egg even more. I rolled the 401K over to a IRA and it isn't a small chunk of change since I started it when I first started working there. I wish I would of contributed the max allowed by law. I have had a couple of substantial inheritances as well and could retire now but my wife isn't ready so it doesn't make any sense for me to sit around by myself. I told her though that my plan will be 60 or maybe a few years after that whether she is ready or not.

I agree for the youngsters out there, start early saving for retirement and you will be amazed with how much you will reap.

GloryDayz
03-05-2017, 04:49 PM
The best part of a gov job is a pension after only being there 10 years. My previous job had a decent 401K, they matched up to 6% of which I of course took advantage of. They also did profit sharing which grew the nest egg even more. I rolled the 401K over to a IRA and it isn't a small chunk of change since I started it when I first started working there. I wish I would of contributed the max allowed by law. I have had a couple of substantial inheritances as well and could retire now but my wife isn't ready so it doesn't make any sense for me to sit around by myself. I told her though that my plan will be 60 or maybe a few years after that whether she is ready or not.

I agree for the youngsters out there, start early saving for retirement and you will be amazed with how much you will reap.

I stress this endlessly with the young engineers I hire. It's tough to convince a 25-year-old to do it, it sure was with me, but once they've done it for 10 years, life is good. I get some folks can't do the legal limit, but 10% is the bare minimum IMO, and I mean bare minimum..

scho63
03-05-2017, 05:38 PM
Weird how similar our situations are. Same age-range. Just sold my business and am taking at least a year off. Haven't had a real vacation since 2007. First day of freedom was February 1st. Just got back from a week in Scottsdale. Played Grayhawk, Talking Stick, The Raven, Legacy, and The Phoenician. Good luck, and enjoy the time off! Life's too short to grind it all away without enjoying the fruits of your labor.

I've played 3 out of 5 of those. Love Grayhawk and had a coyote follow me for about 4 holes trying to get a piece of my sandwich. I gave him some potato chips.

I also remember the Raven at South Mountain having these cool misters on the cart that you could spray yourself with.

scho63
03-05-2017, 05:39 PM
I'm stunned how many people on this board are between the ages of 48-58.

No wonder why we all can relate to misery as Chiefs fans for the last 40-50 years.

scho63
03-05-2017, 05:46 PM
The best part of a gov job is a pension after only being there 10 years. My previous job had a decent 401K, they matched up to 6% of which I of course took advantage of. They also did profit sharing which grew the nest egg even more..

ANYONE who does not take advantage of a company that offers matching 401K contributions and profit sharing is a fool and should not handle money.

You make 100% a year on your money if you put in the same maximum match as your company. Only loansharks and pay day lenders make that much vig on their money.

Demonpenz
03-05-2017, 06:13 PM
You may need credit to get a car that is worth a shit to get to work and maybe a house but fuck all other credit shit. It is a mind game.

mikeyis4dcats.
03-05-2017, 08:50 PM
Look into naturally slim to help you drop the weight. It's been great for me and amazing for my wife.

Psyko Tek
03-05-2017, 08:54 PM
only time I have been off that long I was unemployed, really hard to enjoy the time off

Have a great vacation

scho63
03-06-2017, 10:32 AM
Look into naturally slim to help you drop the weight. It's been great for me and amazing for my wife.

I booked marked the page after reading all the highlights. Thanks for the advice and I'm gong to look into it a little more. :clap:

suzzer99
03-06-2017, 12:15 PM
Good luck! I've done this off and on (Age 47, no kids) and may take a year off again soon to travel the country and take pics. Things I learned the hard way:

1. Make sure you have some structure to your day. The more rituals the better imo. After years of working you will quickly feel adrift w/o it. Something like a workout class at 8am 3 days/week worked great for me.

2. Find something to occupy your mind. I learned and played online poker and also learned some new programming languages. The times I wasn't engaged I quickly got lazy-brain which led to general blah feeling.

3. Volunteer for something a few hours/week. This will give you back many times what you put into it in terms of satisfaction, and will help fulfill your biological need to feel useful to the tribe.

Also if you really want to lose that much weight I'd recommend looking into some kind of structured program at a local university or hospital. If that's not available find a nutritionist. You want to do it the right way or it will fuck up your metabolism. I learned that the hard way too.

mikeyis4dcats.
03-06-2017, 12:18 PM
I booked marked the page after reading all the highlights. Thanks for the advice and I'm gong to look into it a little more. :clap:

I'm down 17# in 6 weeks, and I'm not adhering strictly. My wife has dropped 60# in 15 weeks.

Dayze
03-06-2017, 12:26 PM
I'm down 17# in 6 weeks, and I'm not adhering strictly. My wife has dropped 60# in 15 weeks.

:hmmm:

I need to look into that.

mikeyis4dcats.
03-06-2017, 12:29 PM

I learned about it from another online message board, where lots of people have lost the weight and kept it off. We still eat anything we want, just slower and less of it. I have had very few instances of being hungry or craving something I couldn't eat. A lot of big employers even pay for it, and they run specials occasionally on the price. It's not cheap, since it's an online course there's no food or anything else to make their money on, but it's probably cheaper per pound than any other program.

Dayze
03-06-2017, 12:33 PM
interesting. I'll have to read up on it more . My fat ass needs to lose probably 60+lbs.
same with my wife, though with her MS diagnosis a few years back, it's hard for her to really exercise to the point of burning enough to actually lose a chunk of weight like that. So, something like this sounds beneficial to her; changing some stuff, and a little moderate exercise would do the trick for her I think. i've been trying to take a 1/2 walk during my lunch break at work a few times a week to try to 'start' a bit of a lifestyle change.

mikeyis4dcats.
03-06-2017, 12:46 PM
interesting. I'll have to read up on it more . My fat ass needs to lose probably 60+lbs.
same with my wife, though with her MS diagnosis a few years back, it's hard for her to really exercise to the point of burning enough to actually lose a chunk of weight like that. So, something like this sounds beneficial to her; changing some stuff, and a little moderate exercise would do the trick for her I think. i've been trying to take a 1/2 walk during my lunch break at work a few times a week to try to 'start' a bit of a lifestyle change.

you'll have to register to read, but here's 267 pages of talk that got me into it. You don't really exercise other than attempting to get as close to 10k steps a day as you reasonably can. (Most days I get about 8k)

You can eat a lot less food than you do today and still not be hungry, you just don't know it yet!

http://www.tivocommunity.com/community/index.php?threads/any-naturally-slim-alumni-here.529000/page-267#post-11159049

Iowanian
03-06-2017, 04:29 PM
Good luck.

I took today off. Spent most of it driving back from a man trip this weekend. I rarely do that taking a day off to do something for me.

I think I'm going to try to do a little more of that.

I just realized I spent 3hrs of my day off on conference calls.

Dave Lane
03-06-2017, 04:31 PM
I'm taking a lifetime one. Have for about 10 years :)

JohnnyHammersticks
03-06-2017, 04:38 PM

P90x literally changed my life. Started it 6 years ago. Couldn't even pass the prelim test when I started, and could only do about 30% of the reps. But I hung in there. I went from 203lbs to 178 during the first 90 days, and that was with putting on a bunch of muscle. I bet I lost 40-plus lbs of fat. I did the recommended diet with it, so the whole time I was stuffing my face full of chicken and veggies until I couldn't eat any more.

Once you get to the end of the 90 days, you have a new body and the discipline to keep it that way.

ChiTown
03-06-2017, 04:40 PM
Good for you, scho!

I just turned 51. I'm not far behind you in terms of being burned out. Hopefully, at the end of this year, I will have sold a business that gives me enough fuck you money that I'll only work when I want to. My plan is to spend my time travelling with my wife, hanging out with my kids and volunteering with several organizations. I've been a rat in the race for my entire adult life - it's time to enjoy the fruits of my labor as well as my health while I still have it.

I wish you all the best, scho. May you capture happiness and health in the next chapter of your journey through life! :toast:

Rain Man
03-06-2017, 05:41 PM
Am I the only person in their fifties who can't afford to stop working and wander the world?

Iowanian
03-06-2017, 08:52 PM
I'm working until noon on the day of my funeral.

TribalElder
03-06-2017, 09:25 PM

:clap:

Awesome

I think that is a great idea, enjoy today

I'm fascinated by this, could you elaborate on your financial strategy

Like renting a house or did you buy one to flip ? Couch surfing :D

Congratulations, I hope to do something like this someday

Buehler445
03-06-2017, 09:39 PM
Good luck.

I took today off. Spent most of it driving back from a man trip this weekend. I rarely do that taking a day off to do something for me.

I think I'm going to try to do a little more of that.

I just realized I spent 3hrs of my day off on conference calls.

Here too. Not the conference calls, but on the every day shit. I have tried to work out some times where I could get the hell out. After picking up the paycheck on the first, I haven't heard a word from our hired man.

:cuss:

I think given the fact that prices are in the shitter, I think I'm out on getting anyone new. Nevermind.

I'm working until noon on the day of my funeral.

ROFL

Pretty sure I'm going to be late trying to get one last quarter knocked out.

wazu
03-06-2017, 09:54 PM
Sounds incredible. Good luck!

Chief_For_Life58
03-06-2017, 11:19 PM
Man that's sweet. Congrats on pulling that trigger and treatin yoself

scho63
03-07-2017, 07:25 AM

Wow, great for her! She doing any exercise as well? :hmmm:

scho63
03-07-2017, 07:35 AM
Awesome
I think that is a great idea, enjoy today
I'm fascinated by this, could you elaborate on your financial strategy
Like renting a house or did you buy one to flip ? Couch surfing :D
Congratulations, I hope to do something like this someday

I'm going to take off at least 5-6 months with NO work. I may do some volunteer stuff from time to time.

My goal is to go to the gym EVERYDAY for 3-4 hours at a 24 hour gym, then sleep at the pool during the day getting a tan, eating healthy, renting a room with a private bath in a house at around $500 a month. I'll play golf at least 4 times a month.

I have no debt except my car and it's only $12,000 +/-

I can live comfortably on $1,500 a month. I have enough money to easily make 6 months.

Then around month 4-5 I will start planning on what I want to do in my next job and go full speed ahead.

ChiefGator
03-07-2017, 08:20 AM
That is awesome. This year is all about "Money, Money, Money" for me, so I can quit my day job next year around March at the latest.

Then I will be working for myself and building my company, but with no employees some of the suggestions for structure and such in this thread are useful. I have been looking at some co-work office space downtown so I don't end up sitting in my pajamas programming at home all day.

Omaha
03-07-2017, 08:35 AM

This x 1,000!!! I love this! Get your mind and body right and then find the right balance. I know it's cliche, but nobody ever looks back on his life and wishes he'd worked more. I try to remind myself of this every day.

B_Ambuehl
03-07-2017, 09:24 AM
I'd lighten up a bit on the exercise goals. No need to train like a maniac when shedding excess fat. You can only shed fat so fast, rapid weight loss will be a ton of lost muscle. After an initial big drop in water weight an average of 2 lbs fat loss per week is about the max, which really doesn't take much. That's a combination of 500 less calories consumed per day and 500 more calories burned per day, which is about a couple beers & a small potato less on the diet end and an hour walk on the exercise end. Training for 3 hours a day and dieting sound great when you're full of energy, but overtraining & overdieting can quickly turn you into a depressed zombie & won't give you more rapid results anyway.

mikeyis4dcats.
03-07-2017, 09:48 AM
Wow, great for her! She doing any exercise as well? :hmmm:
nope, just walking, she gets about 8-10k steps a day

mikeyis4dcats.
03-07-2017, 09:49 AM
exercise is good for keepig your body young, but it doesn't do much to lose weight. You have to walk 1.5 miles to burn off 100 calories. You'll never lose weight through exercise. It has to be done with portion control.

Rain Man
03-07-2017, 10:40 AM
I'd lighten up a bit on the exercise goals. No need to train like a maniac when shedding excess fat. You can only shed fat so fast, rapid weight loss will be a ton of lost muscle. After an initial big drop in water weight an average of 2 lbs fat loss per week is about the max, which really doesn't take much. That's a combination of 500 less calories consumed per day and 500 more calories burned per day, which is about a couple beers & a small potato less on the diet end and an hour walk on the exercise end. Training for 3 hours a day and dieting sound great when you're full of energy, but overtraining & overdieting can quickly turn you into a depressed zombie & won't give you more rapid results anyway.

Yeah, 3 hours a day is a recipe to get hurt, which undermines the whole goal.

When I went on my big weight loss kick (placing in the top three in the Chiefsplanet TinyEvel Weight Loss Competition), I calculated out the calories and 80 percent of my weight loss was from diet and 20 percent was from exercise. Both helped, but no longer stuffing my face with doughnuts and Dr. Pepper was the main factor.

BucEyedPea
03-07-2017, 10:56 AM

Good Luck. I've been on sabbatical since 2009'ish but going part-time.

Omaha
03-07-2017, 11:10 AM
Yeah, 3 hours a day is a recipe to get hurt, which undermines the whole goal.

It depends on what he's doing. 3 hours of weight training each day, maybe, but being active for at least 3 hours a day isn't a bad idea. I could see putting in way more time than that if I didn't have to worry about a pesky job. Lift weights, go for a bike ride, play some pickup basketball, go for a run or a hike, play some racquetball, go swimming, etc. If I didn't have to work, it might be tough to keep it under 3 hours.

raybec 4
03-07-2017, 11:10 AM
Good Luck. I've been on sabbatical since 2009'ish but going part-time.

That's not a sabbatical, that's just unemployed

scho63
03-09-2017, 07:35 AM
I'm getting really excited and anxious to get back to the gym in Arizona to lose weight as my job!

Iowanian
03-09-2017, 09:12 AM
Reading this thread was inspiring.

I decided to take a sabbatical last night also.

After work, I talked to the wife and kids for 15 minutes between me getting home and their leaving for a church activity....and I took a Miller High Life (the champagne of beers) and a ruger .22 down to my pond where I sat on the edge of the dam for the last hour of daylight doing nothing.....except waiting for a muskrat to poke it's head out of the water. It did, the beer was empty. I went to the house.

Sabatical over...back to work.

Rain Man
03-09-2017, 10:16 AM

After work, I talked to the wife and kids for 15 minutes between me getting home and their leaving for a church activity....and I took a Miller High Life (the champagne of beers) and a ruger .22 down to my pond where I sat on the edge of the dam for the last hour of daylight doing nothing.....except waiting for a muskrat to poke it's head out of the water. It did, the beer was empty. I went to the house.

I can see the difference in you.

ChiefGator
03-09-2017, 10:19 AM
sabbatical ( səˈbadək(ə)l/ )
noun
1. a period of paid leave granted to a university teacher or other worker for study or travel, traditionally one year for every seven years worked.

---------

Derivation is interesting though:
Greek, and subsequently Hebrew, for (archaic) "of or appropriate to the sabbath", or literally, "a ceasing".

Rain Man
03-09-2017, 11:22 AM
sabbatical ( səˈbadək(ə)l/ )
noun
1. a period of paid leave granted to a university teacher or other worker for study or travel, traditionally one year for every seven years worked.

---------

Derivation is interesting though:
Greek, and subsequently Hebrew, for (archaic) "of or appropriate to the sabbath", or literally, "a ceasing".

That is indeed interesting. So it's kind of following the rule of "on the seventh day, ye shall rest"? I never would've made any connection there.

Do all university professors get a one-year sabbatical every seven years? That's the best benefit ever. I've known a few that have done it, but I've never asked them much detail about it. Are they expected to go do research in their field, or are the beaches of Aruba littered with professors? Or do the professors all go do research in Aruba so both are true?

My company does a one-month sabbatical every 15 years. Small business, so we do the best we can. I got mine a couple of years ago and took a train around the country while learning some programming skills that I've only used once (but would like to use again).

GloryDayz
03-09-2017, 11:46 AM

I don't care if they're otters!

https://media.giphy.com/media/13tBQEgQ1N4dRC/giphy.gif

ChiefGator
03-12-2017, 09:01 PM
My company does a one-month sabbatical every 15 years. Small business, so we do the best we can. I got mine a couple of years ago and took a train around the country while learning some programming skills that I've only used once (but would like to use again).

Oh, that is cool.. good idea.

I have heard tech companies that encourage setting aside all work and trying some different things for a couple weeks twice a year as well. Sort of a at-work sabbatical. But, a good way to encourage creativity.

I am going to implement a sabbatical in my start-up I think. One month every three years?

scho63
03-14-2017, 11:23 AM
Oh, that is cool.. good idea.

I have heard tech companies that encourage setting aside all work and trying some different things for a couple weeks twice a year as well. Sort of a at-work sabbatical. But, a good way to encourage creativity.

I am going to implement a sabbatical in my start-up I think. One month every three years?

I'd say one in every 5 years

HemiEd
03-14-2017, 12:27 PM

:clap: I keep mine on sparkpeople and have great success with it. I have learned at my ripe old age that it is easier to just not consume something than it is to work it off.

People can talk about all of these different kinds of diets, but it all comes down to calories.

Boulevard beer is now a rare treat.

scho63
06-11-2017, 12:15 PM
A brief update:

-As of today I have lost 37.4 pounds since March 25th.
-Work 20-25 hours a week for a charity raising money for Foster Kids.
-Tan as George Hamilton.
-My BP is lower
-I have zero stress
-Love where I live
-I spend 20 hours or more a week at the pool.
-Go to the gym 4-5x's per week for 1 1/2-2 hrs
-Last but not least, I just had a hot 52 year old woman who looks like Valerie Harper in her 30's with giant knockers move in as a roommate!

Best decision I've made in 18 years!

Pasta Little Brioni
06-11-2017, 07:17 PM
Atta boy! :clap:

TrebMaxx
06-11-2017, 07:26 PM
I envy you Schoo!

Rain Man
06-11-2017, 07:27 PM
I'm glad to hear it's working for you, scho. I may have to try this at some point.

Demonpenz
06-11-2017, 07:48 PM
I think it just becomes too painful to keep working know you will be dead soon so it is easier just say fuck it.

R8RFAN
06-12-2017, 01:46 AM

Get you one of these, I have taken 5 weeks off so far this year and been to the beach or OBX 5 times... Get tired of one spot .. move

http://i.imgur.com/dnDuhsu.jpg (http://imgur.com/dnDuhsu)

scho63
06-12-2017, 09:30 AM
Get you one of these, I have taken 5 weeks off so far this year and been to the beach or OBX 5 times... Get tired of one spot .. move

I had thoughts of a very small RV but I don't want to accumulate any "things". I got rid of nearly everything when I left the DC area; furniture, dishes, glasses pots and pans, art work, old clothes. Everything I own fits neatly in my car with room to spare-clothes, golf clubs, some memorabilia and that's pretty much it. Makes like real simple and stress free.

RunKC
06-12-2017, 09:42 AM
Scho, have you explored living in a tiny house? :D

Rain Man
06-12-2017, 09:45 AM

I bet that's why he's losing the weight. He's trying to get to scale. Scho, are you working on getting shorter, too?

scho63
06-12-2017, 09:48 AM

Love watching the show and could easily live in one with two caveats: my bedroom would have to be on the ground floor I hate lofts with no head room and I could not get into a composting toilet or a shitty no pressure shower.

I also think they are VASTLY overpriced for the size of what you get.

I'm currently living in a 1,800 sq ft 2 BR 2 BA condo in an upscale community in North Scottsdale and I am paying $750 a month INCLUDING utilities for a fully furnished room with a large TV. Condo is immaculate and only 5 years old with a gourmet kitchen with every imaginable appliance. I have a community pool and gym that is always vacant, many people are gone during the summer, it's a friendly small community of 41 units and I have a private bedroom with huge ensuite bath, plenty of storage, garage parking gated community and a great private patio attached to my BR with a slider.

scho63
06-12-2017, 09:49 AM
I bet that's why he's losing the weight. He's trying to get to scale. Scho, are you working on getting shorter, too?

I'm actually getting a little taller as all that extra weight was weighing me down like an anchor! :D

Hammock Parties
06-12-2017, 09:57 AM

Nutrisystem has a free calorie counter that also tracks exercise/calorie burn. It's fantastic and has a ton of things you can search for, including branded foods, and you can enter tbsp/cup measurements for a lot of things. It also has an app if you want to do it on your mobile phone.

Your calorie count may not be perfect, but mostly it keeps you accountable.

mikeyis4dcats.
06-12-2017, 09:59 AM
Love watching the show and could easily live in one with two caveats: my bedroom would have to be on the ground floor I hate lofts with no head room and I could not get into a composting toilet or a shitty no pressure shower.

I also think they are VASTLY overpriced for the size of what you get.

I'm currently living in a 1,800 sq ft 2 BR 2 BA condo in an upscale community in North Scottsdale and I am paying $750 a month INCLUDING utilities for a fully furnished room with a large TV. Condo is immaculate and only 5 years old with a gourmet kitchen with every imaginable appliance. I have a community pool and gym that is always vacant, many people are gone during the summer, it's a friendly small community of 41 units and I have a private bedroom with huge ensuite bath, plenty of storage, garage parking gated community and a great private patio attached to my BR with a slider.

so you're renting a room and now have a roommate? How does your landlord feel about that?

Rausch
06-12-2017, 10:07 AM
I'm actually getting a little taller as all that extra weight was weighing me down like an anchor! :D

I don't think that's how it works...

Molitoth
06-12-2017, 10:25 AM

ROFLROFLROFLROFL

R8RFAN
06-12-2017, 03:06 PM
I had thoughts of a very small RV but I don't want to accumulate any "things". I got rid of nearly everything when I left the DC area; furniture, dishes, glasses pots and pans, art work, old clothes. Everything I own fits neatly in my car with room to spare-clothes, golf clubs, some memorabilia and that's pretty much it. Makes like real simple and stress free.

If you like not having much shit you are the perfect fit for the rv lifestyle

LoneWolf
06-12-2017, 05:13 PM
If you like not having much shit you are the perfect fit for the rv lifestyle

Yeah, except for the big ass RV.

KChiefs1
06-12-2017, 05:16 PM
Losing 75-100 pounds will add several years onto your life. Sounds like a very smart decision to put your health before money.

Best of luck- you only get one shot at this thing called life, you might as well do what makes you happy.

Agreed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KChiefs1
06-12-2017, 05:18 PM
A brief update:

-As of today I have lost 37.4 pounds since March 25th.
-Work 20-25 hours a week for a charity raising money for Foster Kids.
-Tan as George Hamilton.
-My BP is lower
-I have zero stress
-Love where I live
-I spend 20 hours or more a week at the pool.
-Go to the gym 4-5x's per week for 1 1/2-2 hrs
-Last but not least, I just had a hot 52 year old woman who looks like Valerie Harper in her 30's with giant knockers move in as a roommate!

Best decision I've made in 18 years!

Nice

Needs pics of the Valerie Harper with big knockers.

scho63
06-12-2017, 07:09 PM
so you're renting a room and now have a roommate? How does your landlord feel about that?

He was my roommate for first two months but he had a sudden death in the family and moved in with them to help overcome the tragedy.

He rented his master out.....:clap:

scho63
06-12-2017, 07:14 PM
Nice

Needs pics of the Valerie Harper with big knockers.

I ALWAYS DELIVER! :D

TrebMaxx
06-12-2017, 07:21 PM

Nice!:thumb:

Perineum Ripper
06-12-2017, 07:31 PM

I'm traveling to Arizona this summer..you think she has room in her room for me to crash a few nights :D

KChiefs1
06-12-2017, 07:35 PM

You weren't lying!

Nice.

scho63
06-12-2017, 07:42 PM
Put your boners away boys! :D

Perineum Ripper
06-12-2017, 08:20 PM
Put your boners away boys! :D

https://i.imgur.com/O6L4mfC.gif

R8RFAN
06-13-2017, 04:32 PM
Yeah, except for the big ass RV.

you gotta lay your head down somewhere

Deberg_1990
06-13-2017, 06:01 PM

Would!!!

Bearcat
06-13-2017, 06:08 PM
Do you get to touch her happy places?

Hog's Gone Fishin
06-13-2017, 06:13 PM

R U STUPED ?

Skyy God
06-13-2017, 08:16 PM

Roommate only??

DaneMcCloud
06-13-2017, 08:27 PM

She's 52.

She can't feel any happy places.

Bearcat
06-13-2017, 08:46 PM
She's 52.

So... she won't mind as much?

(and that's not a rape joke, assholes)

KS Smitty
06-13-2017, 08:50 PM
She's 52.

He's 54 and can't find her happy places. FYP ;)

DaneMcCloud
06-13-2017, 10:32 PM

LMAO

KCUnited
06-14-2017, 06:50 AM
http://i1290.photobucket.com/albums/b539/KCUnited1/5fd01558-3533-4f67-8786-2cae510c8552_zpsufm6tazc.jpg

scho63
06-14-2017, 08:32 AM
you gotta lay your head down somewhere

HOPEFULLY ONE DAY ON HER BIG 'OL TITTIES! :D

Not yet, too soon. Working on it. She comes into my room to chat and sits on my bed.

Roommate only??

For now.........:hmmm:

She's 52.

Let's hope that's not the case. :(

Oh, I've had plenty of on the field practice, advice, help, escorts, girlfriends and actual game time to find happy places.

http://i1290.photobucket.com/albums/b539/KCUnited1/5fd01558-3533-4f67-8786-2cae510c8552_zpsufm6tazc.jpg

She's had 4 kids so you might be right! :eek:

Hog's Gone Fishin
06-14-2017, 04:08 PM
So, you gotta set up a porn cam to make this a true win. Then you gotta share.

Coach
06-14-2017, 09:03 PM

I started off putting in 5% when I was 26, and the company matches up to 5%. In 2013, I upped it to between 8-10%. Right now I am putting in 17% of my pay into my retirement. I am kind of putting a little extra to make up for some of my lost years in my early 20's, since I didn't have much of a retirement, other than the KPERS which is kind of low anyways.

At some point, I'll eventually put in much more than 17% in the upcoming months.

DaneMcCloud
06-14-2017, 09:12 PM

LMAO

Bearcat
06-14-2017, 09:29 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/-mReJpigNIM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

scho63
06-14-2017, 10:00 PM
I started off putting in 5% when I was 26, and the company matches up to 5%. In 2013, I upped it to between 8-10%. Right now I am putting in 17% of my pay into my retirement. I am kind of putting a little extra to make up for some of my lost years in my early 20's, since I didn't have much of a retirement, other than the KPERS which is kind of low anyways.

At some point, I'll eventually put in much more than 17% in the upcoming months.

Kudo's to you! :clap::clap:

This is GREAT advice for a young person to learn how to save money.

scho63
08-24-2017, 05:37 PM
UPDATE:

I've been interviewing and have a few offers I rejected, one I will probably take and one more interview on Monday. All focused on sales in the Technology-Social Marketing Industry.

Excited that I'm down close to 60 pounds, tan, and ready to rebuild my savings after being off nearly six months.

Plan working to perfection so far......:D

ChiTown
08-24-2017, 05:39 PM
UPDATE:

I've been interviewing and have a few offers I rejected, one I will probably take and one more interview on Monday. All focused on sales in the Technology-Social Marketing Industry.

Excited that I'm down close to 60 pounds, tan, and ready to rebuild my savings after being off nearly six months.

Plan working to perfection so far......:D

Good for you, Brother!

scho63
09-14-2017, 06:30 PM
It's amazing how 6 months off of work makes you a raging tiger.

I'm down 60 pounds, I'm tan and so eager to begin the next and hopefully last chapter of my working career before retirement.

I'm now the VP of Sales and Business Development for a high tech company that handles big data, cyber sec, cloud, outsourced IT and App Dev.

I see 150-200K in my near future!!!

This sabbatical was one of the best decisions of my life.

"Don't piss away your life with indecision, even if it's wrong you can easily fix it!" :clap:

Marcellus
09-14-2017, 06:39 PM
It's amazing how 6 months off of work makes you a raging tiger.

I'm down 60 pounds, I'm tan and so eager to begin the next and hopefully last chapter of my working career before retirement.

I'm now the VP of Sales and Business Development for a high tech company that handles big data, cyber sec, cloud, outsourced IT and App Dev.

I see 150-200K in my near future!!!

This sabbatical was one of the best decisions of my life.

"Don't piss away your life with indecision, even if it's wrong you can easily fix it!" :clap:

Awesome dude! :thumb:

GloryDayz
09-14-2017, 06:40 PM
Exceptionally exceptional and excellent!

Buehler445
09-14-2017, 09:32 PM
Congrats Man. You still down in Arizona?

BWillie
09-15-2017, 12:28 AM
She's 52.

So Dane is still pissed his wife won't fuck him? Sorry you are old, bro. Shit happens. Maybe become a white supremacist to fill the void? I'm not sure.

TimBone
09-15-2017, 10:38 AM
Did you make progress with the room mate?

Reerun_KC
09-15-2017, 10:49 AM
I still remember the day I left the IT industry and remember the day I left the IT sales Industry.

It's like the chains of bondage were released and the outlook on life changed in a matter of a few minutes.

DaneMcCloud
09-15-2017, 11:08 AM
So Dane is still pissed his wife won't fuck him? Sorry you are old, bro. Shit happens. Maybe become a white supremacist to fill the void? I'm not sure.

What the fuck are you talking about, Boy?

scho63
09-15-2017, 12:33 PM
Congrats Man. You still down in Arizona?

Did you make progress with the room mate?

Yes still in AZ

No with the prior female roommate but YES with a new 51 year old female roommate who moved in just a week ago. We had some alcoholic drinks and some kissing ensued. :D