PDA

View Full Version : Misc European Trip Tips

kysirsoze
03-13-2017, 01:32 PM
Hey CP,

So my wife and I are going on a (long delayed) honeymoon at the end of the month. 10 days in Europe split up like this:

2 nights in London
3 nights in Paris
2 nights in Amsterdam
3 nights in Paris

The double Paris visit is because we fly in and out of there and it's my wife's dream city to visit so it's pretty much the main event. We're taking a train right to London when we arrive because it is the lowest priority of the three and we will be adjusting to the time change and whatnot. Flights, hotels, and trains are already booked.

So... Who's been to these cities? Wife's been to London but I haven't. In fact this will be my first international trip unless you count an afternoon in Tijuana when I was 9. Any tips for first timers? Must see areas? Must visit restaurants or bars? General advice?

I can tell you we are already planning a day trip to Versailles and have booked tickets. Otherwise we're up for whatever. Museums, historic landmarks, scenic vistas, whatever.

TIA for all the honeymoon sex tips, too. You guys are the best.

BlackHelicopters
03-13-2017, 01:38 PM
Shoot any Muslims you see on sight. TIA

Rain Man
03-13-2017, 01:40 PM
Oh, I know Paris.

Versailles is really cool. Definitely do that. Musee D'Orsee is more interesting than the Louvre in my opinion, but I prefer impressionists over pictures of dead Jesus. The catacombs are cool, but your wife may not view them as honeymoon material.

Notre Dame is worth doing as well as that big white church Sacre Couer, though it's a bit out of the way.

You can go up inside the Arc De Triomphe, which is worth doing. Obviously the Eiffel Tower. I thought the river tour was a bit unnecessary, as I'd rather just walk around.

If I was ranking, I'd go:

1. Versailles
2. Eiffel Tower, just because.
3. Notre Dame
4. Musee D'Orsee
5. Louvre
6. Just walk around
7. Sacre Couer
8. Catacombs
9. Arc De Triomphe, just because. I'd probably rate it lower.
10. Napoleon's Tomb and the Military Museum, if you're into that stuff.

I'm probably missing some cool things.

kysirsoze
03-13-2017, 01:41 PM
Shoot any Muslims you see on sight. TIA

Serves me right for opening an ignored post. Please fuck off.

ptlyon
03-13-2017, 01:42 PM
TIA for all the honeymoon sex tips, too. You guys are the best.

PIIHB obviously. Or wait til Amsterdam and have a hooker do it.

stumppy
03-13-2017, 01:42 PM
Oh, I know Paris.

Versailles is really cool. Definitely do that. Musee D'Orsee is more interesting than the Louvre in my opinion, but I prefer impressionists over pictures of dead Jesus. The catacombs are cool, but your wife may not view them as honeymoon material.

Notre Dame is worth doing as well as that big white church Sacre Couer, though it's a bit out of the way.

You can go up inside the Arc De Triomphe, which is worth doing. Obviously the Eiffel Tower. I thought the river tour was a bit unnecessary, as I'd rather just walk around.

1. Versailles
3. Notre Dame
4. Musee D'Orsee
5. Louvre
6. Just walk around
7. Sacre Couer
8. Catacombs

I've always wanted to see the birthplace of Pepe Le pew.

kysirsoze
03-13-2017, 01:43 PM
Oh, I know Paris.

1. Versailles
3. Notre Dame
4. Musee D'Orsee
5. Louvre
6. Just walk around
7. Sacre Couer
8. Catacombs

Nice. Thanks! I actually think she'd be pretty interested in the catacombs. Also I think one of our hotels is pretty close to Sacre Couer.

TigeRRUppeRRcut
03-13-2017, 01:44 PM
Anne Frank and Heineken museum in Amsterdam.

kysirsoze
03-13-2017, 01:46 PM
Anne Frank house is booked up. We might see about same day when we get there, though. Heard it can be tough to get in without reservations.

BlackHelicopters
03-13-2017, 01:47 PM

Adjust your sarcasm meter. Then fuck off.

loochy
03-13-2017, 02:56 PM
Adjust your sarcasm meter. Then **** off.

hey man, CP is SERIOUS business

kysirsoze
03-13-2017, 03:21 PM
hey man, CP is SERIOUS business

Alright. I ignored this dude for his very not sarcastic, shitty, hateful comments. I'm ignoring four people on this site. Two for spamming Royals threads and the other one for pure insanity. That tells you how low my bar for tolerance is. To be honest, I was more annoyed at how boring and unfunny his post was than anything else.

scho63
03-13-2017, 03:35 PM
Anne Frank and Heineken museum in Amsterdam.

Rijksmuseum is awesome as well. I did all of these. Well worth it.
https://www.rijksmuseum.nl/en

Gotta visit the Melkweg as well.
https://www.melkweg.nl/nl/

Paris is a GREAT walking city.

BlackHelicopters
03-13-2017, 04:23 PM
Alright. I ignored this dude for his very not sarcastic, shitty, hateful comments. I'm ignoring four people on this site. Two for spamming Royals threads and the other one for pure insanity. That tells you how low my bar for tolerance is. To be honest, I was more annoyed at how boring and unfunny his post was than anything else.

Your physician needs to boost your anti anxiety meds. Quickly.

kysirsoze
03-13-2017, 04:32 PM

Aw man! Run the Jewels is performing at the Melkweg while we're there, but it's sold out. I imagine the secondary market will be prohibitive, but I'm definitely gonna check.

Thanks!

Amnorix
03-13-2017, 04:37 PM
Oh, I know Paris.

1. Versailles
3. Notre Dame
4. Musee D'Orsee
5. Louvre
6. Just walk around
7. Sacre Couer
8. Catacombs

So first, the practical shit -- there are scam artists fucking EVERYWHERE. You WILL have gypsies hit you up in different ways. The mute that wants you to sign something. Whatever. My wife had an expert pickpocket nearly unzip her purse and get her wallet. THEY ARE BRAZEN AS HELL.

Second, in Paris it is considered RUDE to not greet the shopkeeper. This is why Americans sometimes get a frosty reception there. You will buy yourself alot of cheap points if you just say "bonjour" to someone when you walk into their shop, or go up to buy the bread.

BUY THE BREAD. Or croissant. I learned to LOVE their chocolate croissants. Their bread shops are everywhere. Buy that stuff.

Versailles is seriously out of town, so be warned. Otherwise, Rain Man's list is pretty good. Napoleon's Tomb and Military Museum is #1 if you're into that stuff. It's huge and endless and pretty damn good. You could spend multiple days there.

I'll post re: London next.

TigeRRUppeRRcut
03-13-2017, 04:44 PM
Anne Frank house is booked up. We might see about same day when we get there, though. Heard it can be tough to get in without reservations.

Just like all the european attractions, getting up early always helps increase your odds.

Probably too early for the tulip festival, I think that starts early May.

And then there's the red light district...yea.

Rasputin
03-13-2017, 04:45 PM
<iframe width="871" height="531" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/DewEKz9TzmM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

kysirsoze
03-13-2017, 04:45 PM
So first, the practical shit -- there are scam artists fucking EVERYWHERE. You WILL have gypsies hit you up in different ways. The mute that wants you to sign something. Whatever. My wife had an expert pickpocket nearly unzip her purse and get her wallet. THEY ARE BRAZEN AS HELL.

Second, in Paris it is considered RUDE to not greet the shopkeeper. This is why Americans sometimes get a frosty reception there. You will buy yourself alot of cheap points if you just say "bonjour" to someone when you walk into their shop, or go up to buy the bread.

BUY THE BREAD. Or croissant. I learned to LOVE their chocolate croissants. Their bread shops are everywhere. Buy that stuff.

Versailles is seriously out of town, so be warned. Otherwise, Rain Man's list is pretty good. Napoleon's Tomb and Military Museum is #1 if you're into that stuff. It's huge and endless and pretty damn good. You could spend multiple days there.

I'll post re: London next.

Done some train research. Looks a little tricky, but my wife and I are pretty savvy as far as public transit. We've set aside most of a day for the trip since we've heard such great things about it.

Hadn't heard much about Napoleon's tomb. I'll have to do some research. Thanks!

TigeRRUppeRRcut
03-13-2017, 04:47 PM

Didn't have enough time for the rijks, definitely on the bucket list!

Amnorix
03-13-2017, 04:48 PM
Hey CP,

So my wife and I are going on a (long delayed) honeymoon at the end of the month. 10 days in Europe split up like this:

2 nights in London
3 nights in Paris
2 nights in Amsterdam
3 nights in Paris

I don't know anything about Amsterdam so nothing here on that. See prior post on Paris. 6 nights is enough time to do most of the major items on your checklist. Oh, one thing Rain Man didn't mention is the Rodin museum. Bit out of the way but I liked it, in part because it isn't ridiculously huge and endless.

So London. 2 nights. That, uhh, isn't enough time so you will have to be choosy.

Random, stream of consciousness, thoughts.

Day trip out to Stonehenge is out. Place sux.

Windsor Castle is very cool, but again, day trip out there.

British Museum is awesome. Endlessly huge, but how else do you see the Rosetta stone itself? Plan ahead, pick a handful of things you really want to see, and then go see them. Do a half-day or so there.

London Eye is a giant, enclosed ferris wheel. Huge attraction, but meh. Unless you do the romantic angle there. Go for that.

Food in London isn't THAT bad. It's just not special. Switching to Paris -- enjoy your meals there. They will be slow and relaxing, but awesome food there.

Tower of London is very cool. Crown Jewels are only part of it.

My single favorite thing in London was Westminster Abbey. If you're into history, it's crazy awesome. Not like any church you've ever been to, I guarantee it.

My crew really enjoyed the Churchill War Rooms, one of the lesser known attractions.

Buckingham Palace is pretty good, but don't kill yourself to see a changing of the guard. It's nice but you've only got a couple days so...

Same iwht Trafalgar square. It's cool but, ultimately, just a set of buildings and some pavement. I'd go if you had more time, but your call.

This is your HOneymoon and it is London, so great chance to see a show if you want. Les Mis or whatever. If you're into shows.

Amnorix
03-13-2017, 04:49 PM
Done some train research. Looks a little tricky, but my wife and I are pretty savvy as far as public transit. We've set aside most of a day for the trip since we've heard such great things about it.

Hadn't heard much about Napoleon's tomb. I'll have to do some research. Thanks!

All I could think when I was there was "oh, THIS is why the peasants chopped everyone's heads off. Well, duh, of COURSE they fucking did. This place is completely RIDICULOUS!"

The palace itself is stupid huge. I mean, COMPLETELY humongous on a scale that is insane, and THEN you must realize that the gardens dwarf the building. Here's an image. The building, which is at the top, is absurdly huge in scale. And it's nothing on the gardens.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/0b/86/72/0b8672fe18f462197a76671c0176755c.jpg

Skyy God
03-13-2017, 04:54 PM
Van Gough museum is a must.

I really liked the Ripper tour in London.

And for Paris, wish I'd done Moulin Rouge.

Skyy God
03-13-2017, 04:55 PM
Oh, and London has great theatre.

mdstu
03-13-2017, 04:56 PM
That plan sounds hectic, you must be young.
I'd skip London and take it easier. Leave some time for lounging.

3 nights in Paris
2 nights in Amsterdam
2 nights in Zandvoort (lounge on the Beach for a couple days)
3 nights in Paris

Amnorix
03-13-2017, 05:01 PM

3 nights in Paris
2 nights in Amsterdam
3 nights in Paris

Yeah, well...

Flights, hotels, and trains are already booked.

Besides, Chunnel to London is kinda cool by itself.

Rain Man
03-13-2017, 05:05 PM
All I could think when I was there was "oh, THIS is why the peasants chopped everyone's heads off. Well, duh, of COURSE they ****ing did. This place is completely RIDICULOUS!"

The palace itself is stupid huge. I mean, COMPLETELY humongous on a scale that is insane, and THEN you must realize that the gardens dwarf the building. Here's an image. The building, which is at the top, is absurdly huge in scale. And it's nothing on the gardens.

And somewhere down on the left is the little place where Marie Antoinette hung out when she needed to get away from the palace. I can't place it on that view, but I remember touring it, and it was pretty nice on its own accord: http://en.chateauversailles.fr/discover/estate/estate-trianon

Hmm, it may be off the map to the left on your picture.

mdstu
03-13-2017, 05:08 PM
I guess I wasn't really giving advise.
Just saying what I would do.
Having been to all the must see cities, now I just wanna take it easy on vacation.
Beaches of Portugal, Spain, and Italy are all I care about now.

kysirsoze
03-13-2017, 06:11 PM

3 nights in Paris
2 nights in Amsterdam
3 nights in Paris

Ha. Yeah. We're pretty active when we travel, but we're going to be busy for sure.

kysirsoze
03-13-2017, 06:14 PM
Thanks for all the Info Amnorix! This is great. You've probably pushed Westminster Abbey onto the list. The eye is out due to the missus' vertigo.

kysirsoze
03-13-2017, 06:15 PM
Van Gough museum is a must.

I really liked the Ripper tour in London.

And for Paris, wish I'd done Moulon Rouge.

One of our Paris hotels is right across the street from the Moulin Rouge so we'll have to check it out.

sd4chiefs
03-13-2017, 06:15 PM
My Wife and I really liked Amsterdam. When you are walking around watch out for the thousands of people flying around on their bicycles. I enjoyed the "coffee shops" the most. I never saw so many beautiful women in one place in my life.

DaKCMan AP
03-14-2017, 06:10 AM
You'll have to check if days/times have changed, but attached is a planner I put together when I visited Paris in 2012. Cheers!

<object style="display: none;" id="__symantecPKIClientMessenger" data-install-updates-user-configuration="true" data-supports-flavor-configuration="true" data-extension-version="0.5.0.161"></object><object style="display: none;" id="__symantecPKIClientMessenger" data-install-updates-user-configuration="true" data-supports-flavor-configuration="true" data-extension-version="0.5.0.161"></object>

Dayze
03-14-2017, 06:18 AM
watch your Le Cornhole bud.

DaKCMan AP
03-14-2017, 06:19 AM
As others have said...

You don't have much time in London but I think that's ok because I enjoyed Paris & Amsterdam more than London.

Given your limited time, a hop-on-hop-off bus tour in London isn't a bad idea to help you move around the city. Definitely hit the big items: Tower of London, London Eye, Victoria & Albert Museum, Buckingham Palace (if you can get in).

In Amsterdam must-do's are the Van Gogh Museum, Rijksmuseum, Rembrandt's House, Anne Frank House (I saw it's already sold out), Verzetsmuseum. I loved the food in Amsterdam, enjoy!

A couple of other notes on Paris...
Getting to Versailles is not that bad via metro and absolutely worth it.
I didn't find anyone to be rude there and I had no problems. Just adapt to THEIR customs - as someone said you greet people upon entering their shop/store (Bonjour) and upon leaving (Au Revoir). Someone mentioned the Rodin museum - Awesome! Look into getting the museum/city/cathedral pass since you'll be in Paris for 6 nights. Paris is a beautiful city, enjoy!
<object style="display: none;" id="__symantecPKIClientMessenger" data-install-updates-user-configuration="true" data-supports-flavor-configuration="true" data-extension-version="0.5.0.161"></object><object style="display: none;" id="__symantecPKIClientMessenger" data-install-updates-user-configuration="true" data-supports-flavor-configuration="true" data-extension-version="0.5.0.161"></object>

raybec 4
03-14-2017, 09:54 AM
I spent 30 days in Amsterdam and it was marvelous, did the Anne Frank house and it was very sobering. Go to a little pub called the Bulldog. The basement has the recreational menu, the main floor is food and drink, avoid the upstairs if you're with your wife. (unless she's into chicks)

The Bunk
03-14-2017, 10:42 AM
I don't know anything about Amsterdam so nothing here on that. See prior post on Paris. 6 nights is enough time to do most of the major items on your checklist. Oh, one thing Rain Man didn't mention is the Rodin museum. Bit out of the way but I liked it, in part because it isn't ridiculously huge and endless.

So London. 2 nights. That, uhh, isn't enough time so you will have to be choosy.

Random, stream of consciousness, thoughts.

Day trip out to Stonehenge is out. Place sux.

Windsor Castle is very cool, but again, day trip out there.

British Museum is awesome. Endlessly huge, but how else do you see the Rosetta stone itself? Plan ahead, pick a handful of things you really want to see, and then go see them. Do a half-day or so there.

London Eye is a giant, enclosed ferris wheel. Huge attraction, but meh. Unless you do the romantic angle there. Go for that.

Food in London isn't THAT bad. It's just not special. Switching to Paris -- enjoy your meals there. They will be slow and relaxing, but awesome food there.

Tower of London is very cool. Crown Jewels are only part of it.

My single favorite thing in London was Westminster Abbey. If you're into history, it's crazy awesome. Not like any church you've ever been to, I guarantee it.

My crew really enjoyed the Churchill War Rooms, one of the lesser known attractions.

Buckingham Palace is pretty good, but don't kill yourself to see a changing of the guard. It's nice but you've only got a couple days so...

Same iwht Trafalgar square. It's cool but, ultimately, just a set of buildings and some pavement. I'd go if you had more time, but your call.

This is your HOneymoon and it is London, so great chance to see a show if you want. Les Mis or whatever. If you're into shows.

All of this is on point. Agree on the Abbey, seriously one of the coolest things I've seen. Only thing I would add that I think is a little bit of a well kept secret is the Imperial War Museum. If you're in to history, it's a must see. It has the most well done Holocaust exhibition I've ever seen. At least at did 10 years ago.

I'll take you to task a bit on the food. Go to any pub and order a steak and ale pie and a proper Guinness. FTW!

kysirsoze
03-14-2017, 11:04 AM
Thanks for all the info guys! I knew CP would come through.

I spent 30 days in Amsterdam and it was marvelous, did the Anne Frank house and it was very sobering. Go to a little pub called the Bulldog. The basement has the recreational menu, the main floor is food and drink, avoid the upstairs if you're with your wife. (unless she's into chicks)

I told my wife about some of the Amsterdam ideas on here and she was concerned there wouldn't be enough prostitute time.

ptlyon
03-14-2017, 11:05 AM
Thanks for all the info guys! I knew CP would come through.

I told my wife about some of the Amsterdam ideas on here and she was concerned there wouldn't be enough prostitute time.

What a nice girl! :clap:

Amnorix
03-14-2017, 12:38 PM
Thanks for all the Info Amnorix! This is great. You've probably pushed Westminster Abbey onto the list. The eye is out due to the missus' vertigo.

Sorry to hear about the Vertigo. There are quite a few things that you CAN climb. Arc de Triumph, Sacre Coeur and Eiffel Tower. Some of those -- especially Sacre Coeur involve quite a few stairs. Like endless stairs, to some degree. Not sure how that does or doesn't factor into your thinking. You don't have to climb Sacre Coeur of course, but there are a fair few stairs just to get to the main entrance, as you can see from the image below.

Once you get there, you can THEN climb a craptop MORE stairs to get to the top, as it were.

http://uk.france.fr/sites/default/files/imagecache/atf_slider_contentv2/basilique_du_sacre-coeur_c_paris_tourist_office_daniel_thierry_pas_de_fin.jpg

Amnorix
03-14-2017, 12:46 PM
Oh, and don't be afraid of the rapid transit systems. The Tube is the best way to get around London, unless you want to taxi it everywhere. A ride on one of those famed double-decker buses is fine too, and kind of a thing to do. But the Tube is pretty damn awesome and easy, and the city is stupid-big, so...

And short. The single thing that most surprised me about London was how SHORT the buildings were. Not a travel tip, of course, just a comment. Kinda like Washington DC, actually, where IIRC nothing can be taller than the Washington Monument or somesuch. Anyway, it sure isn't NYC.

Paris -- we primarily used buses. We took the train a few times also -- where teh aforementioned pickpocketing attempt took place.

By the way, I'm REALLY not kidding about the pickpockets. Tell your wife to pick a purse with a zipper and that she keeps tight to her side. No "one button" close jobs, and I'd avoid a backpack where you keep valuables. Water and snacks, sure, whatever.

Amnorix
03-14-2017, 12:53 PM
Oh rigth, back to rapid transit. In Paris, you will likely want to buy a "carnet", which is a booklet with ten passes. They are good on both buses and trains. Buying these was actually more of a pain than most things in terms of teh language barrier. There was definitely some fumbling and bumbling with the idiot American trying to do the most basic goddamn thing in terms of buying tickets. Once that was resolved though, the rest was a breeze.

More info here: http://en.parisinfo.com/practical-paris/how-to-get-to-and-around-paris/public-transport-paris/fares-travel-passes-reductions

For London there was something that we bought ahead of time as it saved a boodle of $$, but I'm pretty sure that was some kind of week-long pass. Not useful if you're there two days.

Rain Man
03-14-2017, 12:57 PM
I've only done one short blip to London, but my top recommendations are:

1. Tower of London (by far the #1)
2. Windsor Castle (though it's not quite as cool as Versailles)
3. Westminster Abbey
4. British Museum, just to see the Rosetta Stone if nothing else
5. Churchill WWII HQ, but only if you're really into WWII.

That was all I did, so I can't comment on other stuff. Honestly, I think there's ten times more stuff to do in Paris.

Amnorix
03-14-2017, 01:00 PM
Oh, and you're spending thousands on your honeymoon. Spend a few nickels more and buy this for God's sake:

https://www.amazon.com/Rick-Steves-Paris-2017/dp/1631214470/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1489517666&sr=8-1&keywords=steve%27s+paris

I also had this, which is not necessarily a must have, but I liked that it folded, and was laminated, so rain, etc. is irrelevant to the thing. And it has an overlay of the bus routes

https://www.amazon.com/Streetwise-Paris-Map-Laminated-Center/dp/0935039252/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1489517703&sr=8-1&keywords=streetwise+paris+map

WOW! Used only and $80+. JFC, I did NOT see that at first. Yeah, find yourself a good map, but maybe not THAT one. I definitely spent a fair bit -- but like $25 or something. Not freaking 80. Damn.

I also got this. Think we relied on the Rick Steeve's more, but it was nice. Probably only need to pick one though.

https://www.amazon.com/DK-Eyewitness-Travel-Guide-Paris/dp/1465441247/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1489517940&sr=8-1&keywords=DK+paris

vailpass
03-14-2017, 01:08 PM

Wow, who pissed on your prayer rug?

Amnorix
03-14-2017, 01:09 PM
Oh, and I will mention one last thing -- we took a train out of Paris for a day trip out to the Normandy coast. LIke a 2+ hour train ride each day, ending in Bayeux, where we arranged for a bus tour which included visits to certain D-Day beaches, the American cemetery, as well as Pointe du Hoc and St. Mere Eglise (if you've seen the movie, you will remember the paratrooper stuck by his chute on teh church there). It was a very long, but GREAT day. Not sure you can squeeze it in, and you already have a long train ride, but worth considering.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Normandy_American_Cemetery_and_Memorial

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pointe_du_Hoc

You might also be able to squeeze in seeing the Bayeux tapestry, which to my great regret we could not.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bayeux_Tapestry

I don't remember if we booked through Viator or not, but here's one site. The bus tour typically picks you up at the train station. You can be in a group, or on your own, which is a bit pricier but given that they use smaller vans, not too outrageous. For my family of 4, the extra cost of a private van was insignificant compared to four spaces in a larger tour.

https://www.viator.com/Normandy/d183-ttd

Bearcat
03-14-2017, 01:11 PM

It's not, I stayed in Versailles for work and there was a train that took me right to the Eiffel Tower. I spent a few days starting there and walking along the river towards the Louvre. Take a bus or cab through the Arc De Triomphe roundabout, and/or go to the top and watch traffic.

Didn't do much touristy stuff in London besides going to Bath, which wouldn't be worth it during a 2 night stay. Enjoy the great variety of international food.

And what Amnorix said... I didn't notice it in London, but was approached a couple times in Paris by scammers. Mostly just be aware of your surroundings... keep money in your front pockets, and be aware when someone is intentionally or "unintentionally" makes contact with you, as it could be a distraction while they or someone else takes your shit.

Steron
03-14-2017, 02:02 PM
Tell everyone you meet that you are 'The Machine'.

I'm jealous. I would LOVE to go to Europe.

Dave Lane
03-14-2017, 02:20 PM

The exact right response.

kysirsoze
03-14-2017, 07:34 PM
Oh, and you're spending thousands on your honeymoon. Spend a few nickels more and buy this for God's sake:

https://www.amazon.com/Rick-Steves-Paris-2017/dp/1631214470/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1489517666&sr=8-1&keywords=steve%27s+paris

I also had this, which is not necessarily a must have, but I liked that it folded, and was laminated, so rain, etc. is irrelevant to the thing. And it has an overlay of the bus routes

https://www.amazon.com/Streetwise-Paris-Map-Laminated-Center/dp/0935039252/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1489517703&sr=8-1&keywords=streetwise+paris+map

WOW! Used only and $80+. JFC, I did NOT see that at first. Yeah, find yourself a good map, but maybe not THAT one. I definitely spent a fair bit -- but like $25 or something. Not freaking 80. Damn.

I also got this. Think we relied on the Rick Steeve's more, but it was nice. Probably only need to pick one though.

https://www.amazon.com/DK-Eyewitness-Travel-Guide-Paris/dp/1465441247/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1489517940&sr=8-1&keywords=DK+paris

Ha. I have #1 and #3 sitting on my nightstand right now. :)

kysirsoze
03-14-2017, 07:39 PM
Oh, and don't be afraid of the rapid transit systems. The Tube is the best way to get around London, unless you want to taxi it everywhere. A ride on one of those famed double-decker buses is fine too, and kind of a thing to do. But the Tube is pretty damn awesome and easy, and the city is stupid-big, so...

And short. The single thing that most surprised me about London was how SHORT the buildings were. Not a travel tip, of course, just a comment. Kinda like Washington DC, actually, where IIRC nothing can be taller than the Washington Monument or somesuch. Anyway, it sure isn't NYC.

Paris -- we primarily used buses. We took the train a few times also -- where teh aforementioned pickpocketing attempt took place.

By the way, I'm REALLY not kidding about the pickpockets. Tell your wife to pick a purse with a zipper and that she keeps tight to her side. No "one button" close jobs, and I'd avoid a backpack where you keep valuables. Water and snacks, sure, whatever.

My wife was raised in NY and I've lived there for a time so we're accustomed to using mass transit. In fact she's used The Tube before. Thanks for all the specifics, though. Would like to avoid spending tons of time learning how to get around once we get there.

EPodolak
03-14-2017, 10:59 PM
If you have just two days in London, definitely would recommend a bus tour, try Viator.com or similar. You can see the main attractions in a day, float up the river too if you want. The other day, take the tube someplace and walk around. Everybody walks in London. There's also the National Gallery off of Trafalgar Square - one of the great art venues in the world.

Your trip will be a whirlwind, have fun.

Jenson71
03-15-2017, 06:39 AM
I went to Paris in 2005, but it was a very unorthodox trip, and I have nothing to add that hasn't been said except to say that if you just walked around Paris and ate at cafes and sat and watched people, you'd probably have a rewarding time.

I was in London for 5 days in the summer of 2015. There was a lot we had to save for future trips, like Tower of London, Buckingham Palace, Westminster Cathedral (not to be confused with Westminster Abbey), and Churchill Museum.

With 2 days in London, you'll want to limit yourself to the city center (first map), where all of the top sights are.

I would even narrow it down to a smaller segment, like in map 2. You could spend the first day at Westminster Abbey (long line to get in, and very crowded once you are in, but the place is such an iconic monument to England's great people that you leave with such appreciation at what the island has produced), and then walk across the street to Parliament -- you can sit in on either the House of Lords or the House of Commons and there are exhibits in the hallways. We saw both Houses debate in the evening, and there was no waiting at all. There is a pub across the street with a great view of Big Ben -- St. Stephen's Tavern, that we enjoyed. With time left, you can walk to the Churchill War Rooms and see 10 Downing St. where the prime minister lives. In the evening, walk north to Leicester Square and see a show.

Day 2: in the same small location, you be part of the crowd at Trafalgar Square, visit the National Portrait Gallery, and then take a taxi to either the British Museum or St. Paul's Cathedral, both of them were highlights of my trip. You can take the stairs all the way to the top of St. Paul's and look out across the metropolis.

Have a great time!

Great Expectations
03-15-2017, 07:46 AM
My favorite three things in France where:

Mont Saint-Michel
Normandy
Eiffel Tower at night

The northern country side of France was a lot more enjoyable to me than Paris itself. Rouen is also a cool place to visit there. They have a cool joan of arc area and awesome cathedral that has Richard III buried there. It's also the one object that Monet painted more than any anything else. They have a fantastic light show at night on the cathedral where the paintings are lighted upon the building.

Also, try and buy water/snacks at a "locals" grocery store. They will be about 80% less than the tourist shops.

DaKCMan AP
03-15-2017, 11:27 AM

You need to just be aware of your surroundings. I've been to Europe several times and have had no issues - but I'm always on alert.

I also bought a pacsafe shoulder bag years ago and take it with me when I go overseas (it has a "Euro" look). Much more difficult for you to fall victim to non-violent crime (cut-resistant straps, secured-unexposed zippers). They've added many varieties and styles now, including regular style backpacks. I felt safer with my valuables (wallet, cell phone, etc.) in the bag than in my pockets.

www.pacsafe.com (http://www.pacsafe.com)

kysirsoze
04-12-2017, 11:38 AM
Back from trip. It was definitely a whirlwind, but it was an amazing trip. Saw a lot, ate/drank a lot, learned a TON. People were great in all three countries. Life changing experience.

Thanks for the advice, y'all.

Amnorix
04-12-2017, 12:10 PM
Back from trip. It was definitely a whirlwind, but it was an amazing trip. Saw a lot, ate/drank a lot, learned a TON. People were great in all three countries. Life changing experience.

Thanks for the advice, y'all.

You're welcome, but htere is no way you get off that easy. What did you like best? Like least? What did you choose to do in London? Did Westminster Abbey actually happen, and did you like it?

Inquiring minds want to know!

kysirsoze
04-12-2017, 01:16 PM
You're welcome, but htere is no way you get off that easy. What did you like best? Like least? What did you choose to do in London? Did Westminster Abbey actually happen, and did you like it?

Inquiring minds want to know!

Well, since you asked...

Liked best... Hard to say. The food was amazing. Primarily the bread and cheese. You can get just as good in the states if you go to an artisan bakery or cheese shop. The thing is, over there (at least Paris and Amsterdam) you practically can't find bad bread or cheese. The best you can get here is everywhere over there. It's amazing. Same thing for wine in Paris. 5-6 Euro bottles were incredible. Everyone I had. And I picked almost completely blindly.

As far as the sights, all three cities were beautiful. London was a very quick stay so I pretty much did the walk through. I walked all around central London. Saw (from the outside) Westminster Abbey, Big Ben, Buckingham Palace, London Bridge, Parliament, and pretty much every other major landmark near there. I would have loved to explore Westminster Abbey, but since I only really had one full day of sightseeing in London and it cost like 28 Euros a person to go, I decided it would have to wait till the next trip. There was just so much to see. Seeing the outside of it was maybe my favorite spot in London, though.

Hit the pubs pretty hard in London that evening. I'm a huge craft beer fan and what was most striking to me is how common cask beer is. In the states only rare bars or breweries have cask beer available. In London, it wasn't if they had a beer on cask, it was how many.

In Paris, I would not have thought it, but I think my favorite landmark to see was the Arc De Triomphe. I'd seen pictures and new the size of it, but something about seeing it in person was so impressive. Better than that, though was just wandering the city. Around every corner was another beautiful and historic garden or building or street. So much of the city is relatively unchanged for hundreds of years.

Versailles was a highlight. It was impressive and educational. Also a little upsetting. Just an incredible amount of wealth and resources expended on the whim of some pretty disturbed people. No denying it's beauty, though.

Amsterdam was probably my favorite city. The place was so clean and well kept I could hardly believe people live there. People were super friendly. The Rijksmuseum itself was almost as beautiful as the art inside. The "coffee shops" were a novel and enjoyable experience. Great city to just get lost in. Also, FYI, for whatever reason, Amsterdammers are the most attractive group of people I've ever seen. My wife and I were both gawking.

As for least favorite part, probably a combination of the jet lag and how hard we pushed. My wife and I both are very active travellers. We don't really take days off and want to see as much as possible. Because of that we definitely ended the trip more exhausted than when we started, but I wouldn't have done it any other way. Might be recovering for a couple more days, though.:)

EPodolak
04-12-2017, 01:27 PM
^ Makes me want to take some time off, and soon.

sd4chiefs
04-12-2017, 01:31 PM
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/lcl0TVv9nPk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

And don't eat pizza with your hands.

Strongside
04-12-2017, 02:28 PM
I'm also heading out for a fun, but exhausting 3 week Euro trip next week. Paris, Prague, Krakow, Amsterdam, Normandy, Vienna, Salsburg, and Brussels await.