PDA

View Full Version : Misc Okay, that was weird

Frazod
03-17-2017, 05:58 PM
This really just happened.

I pull into the driveway and reach up to hit the garage door opener. I had recently replaced the battery in the opener, and apparently I didn't click the two parts back in place hard enough, because the bottom part with the circuitry was gone. I figured it had fallen off in the car somewhere, so I started looking around my seat, but didn't see it. Then I got out of the car, and as I was walking around to look in the passenger side, the garage door went up. My wife gets home from work before I do, so I figured she saw or heard me pull up, and when I didn't come in right away, opened the door for me. Anyway, I found the part that had fallen off, put the two pieces back together, then pulled into the garage. I expected to see my wife downstairs when I went in the house, but she wasn't there. Then I went upstairs, and she was just coming out of her bathroom after getting out of the tub. So she not only hadn't known I was home, but hadn't opened the garage door. And, at least as far as I know, there is no one else in the house.

When the door opened, the part of the opener with the battery was attached to my visor, and the part with the circuitry was stuck between the passenger seat and the console. And the second remote is in a drawer in the kitchen missing a battery.

So how the hell did my garage door open?

:spock:

Ming the Merciless
03-17-2017, 06:00 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/_-agl0pOQfs?ecver=1" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

tmax63
03-17-2017, 06:06 PM
Someone else in the neighborhood has one close enough freq wise to work on yours. I've heard of thieves that cruise neighborhoods during the day with a couple of door openers looking for doors that open. Easy way in.

TribalElder
03-17-2017, 06:08 PM
Unknown 3rd party

FlaChief58
03-17-2017, 06:10 PM
The mailman opened it for you on his way out

Rain Man
03-17-2017, 06:13 PM
Were you wishing for the garage door to open? Did you recently rub on a Middle Eastern lamp? Try wishing for a hot chick in a bikini.

Or maybe you just unleashed your telekinetic powers. Try to bend a spoon with your mind.

But don't try wishing for a hot chick in a bikini bending a spoon. That won't isolate the cause.

Chiefshrink
03-17-2017, 06:13 PM
When you were looking around for the circuitry part in your car before you actually found it you moved the seat pressing the circuitry up against the console just enough for a delayed activation not realizing it thus activated your door.:hmmm:

Rain Man
03-17-2017, 06:14 PM

Now that you mention it, his wife was naked in the house. I bet the guy was trying to get out when he saw your car pull into the driveway.

Nickhead
03-17-2017, 06:14 PM

http://straightfromthea.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/jay-z-rap-disgusted-6bb61e3b7bce0931da574d19d1d82c88-1584.gif

Frazod
03-17-2017, 06:25 PM
When you were looking around for the circuitry part in your car before you actually found it you moved the seat pressing the circuitry up against the console not realizing it thus activated your door.:hmmm:

No, the battery was in the other part. There was no way the part with the circuitry could have gotten any power.

I just searched the entire house to make sure nobody was hiding anywhere.

One thing I did notice is that my wife had left the front door unlocked when she came home. I guess it is possible that somebody came in before I got home, heard me pull up, stepped into the garage, hit the button as a diversion, and then left through the front door while I was pulling the car in the garage, but I checked around, and nothing is missing or out of place, and my wife's purse containing her keys and wallet were on the dining room table undisturbed. That seems rather far fetched. Plus, we have four cats, and three of them react poorly to strangers being in the house, and they were all behaving normally and not hiding.

I have seen a couple of similar things over the years here. Once the TV turned in right in front of me when nobody else was in the room and the remote was sitting on the coffee table. And there have been a couple of times I found the garage door open and was sure I closed it.

My building was new construction, and we're the only people who have ever lived here. It was just open land before. So it's not like somebody once died here who might be haunting the place.

Perhaps some random signal from another device somewhere made it go off.

Hell, I don't know.

:shrug:

TribalElder
03-17-2017, 06:28 PM
Or the front door was unlocked as that was the exit path when you came in the garage

TribalElder
Trust no one LMAO

Frazod
Now that you mention it, his wife was naked in the house. I bet the guy was trying to get out when he saw your car pull into the driveway.

That would be one seriously dumb brazen sonofabitch. And lucky, since I was armed.

But there's no crime in this neighborhood. And the door was unlocked, but closed. I guess that could be it. I've already reminded the wife to be more careful about leaving the door unlocked.

TribalElder
03-17-2017, 06:30 PM
Check the camera footage

Frazod
03-17-2017, 06:32 PM
Check the camera footage

No camera; just an alarm system. But it wasn't on at the time. The wife leaves it off when she comes home because I get home shortly after she does.

I actually did recently purchase a little spycam to try to determine which one of my friggin cats is occasionally pissing in the corner of my den. Haven't done anything with it yet, though. Perhaps it's time to set it up.

Bearcat
03-17-2017, 06:38 PM
Do you clearly remember seeing the garage door closed before you went to open it?

displacedinMN
03-17-2017, 06:41 PM
At least you did not hit the door with your car.

WilliamTheIrish
03-17-2017, 06:43 PM
I have seen a couple of similar things over the years here. Once the TV turned in right in front of me when nobody else was in the room and the remote was sitting on the coffee table.

Hope you know who doesn't see this.

Discuss Thrower
03-17-2017, 06:44 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/hAAlDoAtV7Y" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Perineum Ripper
03-17-2017, 06:45 PM
C.I.A

PHOG
03-17-2017, 06:51 PM
tl:dr

Frazod
03-17-2017, 06:59 PM
Do you clearly remember seeing the garage door closed before you went to open it?

It was closed. Then it opened.

Charging the spycam. I guess if there is a friendly ghost, the next time it pulls some shit I'll catch it in the act.

I wish it would help me find the missing mag for my CZ. :banghead:

TLO
03-17-2017, 07:01 PM
http://i3.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/facebook/000/158/329/9189283.jpg

The Franchise
03-17-2017, 07:18 PM
Someone else in the neighborhood has one close enough freq wise to work on yours. I've heard of thieves that cruise neighborhoods during the day with a couple of door openers looking for doors that open. Easy way in.

Doesn't work with the rotating codes that garage door openers use.

Bearcat
03-17-2017, 07:21 PM
It was closed. Then it opened.

Charging the spycam. I guess if there is a friendly ghost, the next time it pulls some shit I'll catch it in the act.

I wish it would help me find the missing mag for my CZ. :banghead:

Reeeeaaaalllyyy sure?!

(I've got nuthin')

The Franchise
03-17-2017, 07:25 PM
Maybe static electricity hit the circuit board at the right time to cause it to open the door.

Frazod
03-17-2017, 07:26 PM

That may well be it. Doubt if it was thieves, though. They probably wouldn't try it while I was pulling in. Plus, even if it goes up when we're not home, the burglar alarm would go off if they tried to enter the door from the garage to the house. That's always on if we're not home.

Frazod
03-17-2017, 07:27 PM
Maybe static electricity hit the circuit board at the right time to cause it to open the door.

That could be it, too. I had just turned the car off a few seconds before.

Who knows?

Rain Man
03-17-2017, 07:30 PM
Does your microwave face the window? Maybe a friendly NSA agent saw you in trouble and opened up the door using their in-home electrical system override.

The Franchise
03-17-2017, 07:32 PM
That may well be it. Doubt if it was thieves, though. They probably wouldn't try it while I was pulling in. Plus, even if it goes up when we're not home, the burglar alarm would go off if they tried to enter the door from the garage to the house. That's always on if we're not home.

How old is the opener in the garage?

ping2000
03-17-2017, 07:36 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170318/90b9fbae908a33d099c6e9e4a44f8cb7.jpg

Frazod
03-17-2017, 07:39 PM
How old is the opener in the garage?

Old. Almost 16 years.

Frazod
03-17-2017, 07:40 PM
Does your microwave face the window? Maybe a friendly NSA agent saw you in trouble and opened up the door using their in-home electrical system override.

You never know...... :D

http://i.imgur.com/Ugy44E5.jpg

JohnnyHammersticks
03-17-2017, 07:45 PM
It's one of two scenarios, neither of which is good.

Either the little lady was playing hide the salami, and the salami was trying to bounce without getting caught, or your house was built on an indian burial ground.

lewdog
03-17-2017, 07:46 PM
Only thing to do now is prepare for the worst.

Loaded guns, tire iron, security camera and metal underwear.

The Franchise
03-17-2017, 07:53 PM
Old. Almost 16 years.

So the remote has the dip switches in it that you have to set?

Chiefshrink
03-17-2017, 08:02 PM
I guess if there is a friendly ghost,

The Power of the Holy Ghost is letting you know who is really in control.;):D

TribalElder
03-17-2017, 08:06 PM
first thing I do when I get home from work is take a bath LMAO

I'm just messing around. I would suggest cameras though

bevischief
03-17-2017, 08:06 PM
It was alien midgets...

keg in kc
03-17-2017, 08:08 PM
Twas the ghost of your old refrigerator.

TrebMaxx
03-17-2017, 08:25 PM
So sorry to hear ...

Rasputin
03-17-2017, 08:39 PM
"Then I went upstairs, and she was just coming out of her bathroom after getting out of the tub."

I think this is the most interesting part of the story could elaborate details with pics :D

Bwana
03-17-2017, 08:42 PM
Time to change the code.

Frazod
03-17-2017, 09:05 PM
So the remote has the dip switches in it that you have to set?

Hell if I know. All I've ever done is change the batteries in the remotes.

But at this point it may be time to get a new garage door opener anyway. 16 years of daily use, I wonder how much longer it will last?

Coochie liquor
03-17-2017, 09:05 PM
One time my wife and I were real fucked up on some x. We were walking to the beach and it was very dark. We went down the stairs toward the beach and I was thinking "damn I wish I had a flashlight". Then I sat down on the stairs for a minute and there was a flashlight there. I was thinking, wow did I just make that happen?? I turned the flashlight on, and then there were people with a flashlight heading toward us on the stairs. I thought it was the cops, so we took off trying to run in the sand up the beach (but get like we were moving in slow motion). Once we got a few feet up the beach the people quit coming towards us (I'm guessing it was their light but who really knows.) anyway we get up the beach what seems like a decent ways. We lay our towels down and then start getting hot and heavy, wife loses her top and bra in the water, we have sex for a while and then as I'm trying to gather our clothes, or what's left of them I notice a guy smoking a cig sitting on the sea wall about 15 feet from where we were banging.... wife had to walk back to the car topless wrapped in a towel. But that wishing for a flashlight and then one appearing was pretty crazy!!

Frazod
03-17-2017, 09:08 PM
Uh, yeah, I'd just got home from work. No "x" was involved. LMAO

HonestChieffan
03-17-2017, 09:11 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-cards="hidden" data-lang="en"><p lang="und" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/MisfitsPolitics">@MisfitsPolitics</a> <a href="https://t.co/UR7gP7Ru3X">pic.twitter.com/UR7gP7Ru3X</a></p>&mdash; Adso of Melk (@PalimpsestMan) <a href="https://twitter.com/PalimpsestMan/status/842928222694260738">March 18, 2017</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Bugeater
03-17-2017, 09:11 PM
Hell if I know. All I've ever done is change the batteries in the remotes.

But at this point it may be time to get a new garage door opener anyway. 16 years of daily use, I wonder how much longer it will last?
Forever. About the only thing that goes bad in them is the main drive gear, and it's easily replaced.

Frazod
03-17-2017, 09:16 PM
Forever. About the only thing that goes bad in them is the main drive gear, and it's easily replaced.

Yeah, but the idea of the thing going up at times other than when I want it to is somewhat troubling.

I should probably dig around and see if I can find the manual for it. That probably won't happen, since I'm a disorganized mess for stuff tossed in a drawer recently, let alone 16 years ago, so I should probably try to find something online and see if I can change the code as Bwana suggested.

GloryDayz
03-17-2017, 09:23 PM
My younger son once took the spare door opener with him (so we didn't realize anything was missing), left it at the neighbors, it ended up in one of their over-stuffed kitchen drawers, and our garage door would seeming open (or close) with us doing nothing. Yeah, it took about three months before they realized our opener was in their drawer, and, occasionally, when they opened/closed the drawer, our garage door would cycle.

Deberg_1990
03-17-2017, 09:26 PM
Fuckin magnets.....how do they work?

GloryDayz
03-17-2017, 09:32 PM
Fuckin magnets.....how do they work?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/jq8WOUFeCcg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Gonzo
03-18-2017, 10:47 AM
I'm thinking your garage door opener saw how you treat other appliances so it decided it shouldn't piss you off.

Pasta Little Brioni
03-18-2017, 10:53 AM
That damn Mailman!

Hammock Parties
03-18-2017, 10:54 AM
Premium Frazod content. Show these n00bs how to do it. Cray day with Fray.

Demonpenz
03-18-2017, 10:57 AM
It reminds me of that awesome scene in Dune and by awesome scene I mean the entire fucking awesome movie.

Frazod
03-18-2017, 11:05 AM
It reminds me of that awesome scene in Dune and by awesome scene I mean the entire fucking awesome movie.

http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/049/787/No-Country-for-Old-Men_Tommy-Lee-Jones_Josh-Brolin_Javier-Bardem_9.jpg

Hog's Gone Fishin
03-18-2017, 11:45 AM
Yeah, but the idea of the thing going up at times other than when I want it to is somewhat troubling.

I should probably dig around and see if I can find the manual for it. That probably won't happen, since I'm a disorganized mess for stuff tossed in a drawer recently, let alone 16 years ago, so I should probably try to find something online and see if I can change the code as Bwana suggested.

It should have a set of dip switches on the unit as well as the remotes. You just need to change a couple and make sure they match.

SAUTO
03-18-2017, 12:05 PM
I'm thinking your garage door opener saw how you treat other appliances so it decided it shouldn't piss you off.

ROFL

Demonpenz
03-18-2017, 12:07 PM
Lol gonzo damn fine joke sir I do say

KChiefs1
03-18-2017, 12:13 PM
This situation sounds familiar for some reason. Was your wife exhausted when you got home?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scooter LaCanforno
03-18-2017, 01:13 PM
Late afternoon Sunlight can trigger them during certain times of the year.

jjchieffan
03-18-2017, 01:50 PM
The ghost of that refrigerator you shot is back to haunt you.

LoneWolf
03-18-2017, 02:00 PM
But there's no crime in this neighborhood.

No camera; just an alarm system.

Seems that you are wasting money every month on an alarm system.

notorious
03-18-2017, 02:07 PM
Your fridge did it. Pump it full of lead.

notorious
03-18-2017, 02:07 PM
The ghost of that refrigerator you shot is back to haunt you.

Fuck

Frazod
03-18-2017, 04:24 PM
Seems that you are wasting money every month on an alarm system.

Under the deck, there's a window at ground level. All you'd have to do to get in the house is kick out a pain of glass, flip a lever, slide the window and step down into the basement, and I'm not going to hear that if I'm asleep on the second floor. It's fairly secluded back there as well.

Also, I lived in Chicago for 10 years. In some crappy neighborhoods. That left a mark on my psyche.

Just because nothing bad has happened yet doesn't mean it won't one day.

Frazod
03-18-2017, 04:25 PM
Oh, and the refrigerator still works fine.

Fuckers. nlm

LoneWolf
03-18-2017, 05:04 PM
Under the deck, there's a window at ground level. All you'd have to do to get in the house is kick out a pain of glass, flip a lever, slide the window and step down into the basement, and I'm not going to hear that if I'm asleep on the second floor. It's fairly secluded back there as well.

Also, I lived in Chicago for 10 years. In some crappy neighborhoods. That left a mark on my psyche.

Just because nothing bad has happened yet doesn't mean it won't one day.

Dude, I get it. Your comment that there is "no crime" in your neighborhood followed by you mentioning an alarm system just reminded me of Tom Cruise and Jack Nicholson in A Few Good Men.

Kaffee: Any chance Lt. Kendrick ignored the order.
Jessup: We follow orders or people die.
Kaffee: If you ordered Santiago wasn't to be touched, and your orders are always followed, why would Santiago be in danger?

bevischief
03-18-2017, 05:28 PM
It was midgets. Always midgets.