PDA

View Full Version : Terez says "the Chiefs have done plenty of background on" Mahomes.

Direckshun
03-18-2017, 11:35 AM
Here's his 1st round mock:

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/article139261678.html

Watson goes to the Jets. Tribusky to the Browns. Kizer to the Texans.

This is what Terez says about #27:

27. Kansas City Chiefs

QB Patrick Mahomes II, Texas Tech

The pressure is on Alex Smith to deliver, and while he is indeed their quarterback for 2017, the cap-tight Chiefs could save $17 million by releasing him next year. They could also create some cap room by extending him, but the point is, his future will likely be determined by how he fares this season.

That said, someone like Mahomes — who ESPN draft analyst Todd McShay recently called a cross between Brett Favre and Johnny Manziel — could be tempting to the Chiefs, who have done plenty of background work on him. He’s a gunslinger with a cannon for an arm and plus intangibles, but he’s very raw and will likely need at least a year to get accustomed to the lengthy verbiage in coach Andy Reid’s playbook. Mahomes has never had to call lengthy plays with regularity, and that’s something all quarterbacks have to do in Kansas City. The good news is that Reid is very good at scheming up concepts for his quarterbacks, so they often make predetermined reads, and with Mahomes’ arm and willingness to chuck it deep, he could potentially open up the playbook in a way Chiefs fans haven’t seen consistently.

By the way, one other bonus to selecting a quarterback early — he’ll be very cheap for the next five years. For a team that has been tight against the cap for the last several years, that would be a boon.

Of course, other teams watch tape, too, and there’s a chance none of the top four quarterbacks — Mahomes, Kizer, Trubisky and Watson — will be here, especially if Arizona takes a quarterback at No. 13. And if the top four quarterbacks are off the board, the Chiefs might be best served trading down or taking the best player available and perhaps addressing quarterback in one of the next two rounds with the likes of Pittsburgh’s Nathan Peterman, Cal’s Davis Webb, Tennessee’s Josh Dobbs or Miami’s Brad Kaaya.

But let’s say they keep the pick. Possible options include a defensive tackle like Florida’s Caleb Brantley or a cornerback like Washington’s Kevin King, Florida’s Quincy Wilson and Southern California’s Adoree’ Jackson (the Chiefs met with the latter two at the combine, by the way).

I also gave some serious thought here to Stanford’s Christian McCaffrey, because the Chiefs could use a dynamic home-run hitting back after the release of Jamaal Charles. McCaffrey was one of the combine’s top testers at his position and offers unique versatility as a runner and receiver. Still, I just can’t pick him to the Chiefs in the first, because — fun tidbit — Reid and Dorsey have never selected a running back in the first round. Not once, even dating back to the Green Bay and Philadelphia days. So if they did take him this high, they’d be bucking their trend.

Who would you take? Who would you take if no QB was on the board?

Shaid
03-18-2017, 11:46 AM
Who would you take if no QB was on the board?

I'd trade my 1 for a 1 next year to have the ammo needed to grab a QB next year. Grab fatties and a LB this year would probably be my biggest focus for the later rounds. You can find a decent RB somewhere as well.

Hog's Gone Fishin
03-18-2017, 11:55 AM
I'd trade my 1 for a 1 next year to have the ammo needed to grab a QB next year. Grab fatties and a LB this year would probably be my biggest focus for the later rounds. You can find a decent RB somewhere as well.

Not a bad idea. Cleveland wants draft picks ,give them our 1st this year and 2nd next year for their 2018 1st which will be a top 5 pick.

RealSNR
03-18-2017, 12:25 PM
If the QBs are gone, I'm going with TJ Watt.

It's the next highest position of importance, we desperately need a real 3rd OLB given that Hali is not in any way a dependable option now and definitely not in the future, and Watt just screams like the kind of player who can instantly contribute and help a team in his rookie year.

Is there another non-QB player who would give us that kind of flexibility and strength in both the long and short term?

Besides, there will be some damn good ILBs in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. If Foster and Reddick are both gone, I'd rather not spend a 1st rounder on McMillan or Davis if I can get a pass rusher like Watt instead.

RunKC
03-18-2017, 12:35 PM
It depends on how they feel about the other QB's.

I think we have 2 choices:

1. Draft TJ Watt or some other pass rusher.
2. Trade down and take the 2nd QB they have high on their board (IMO Peterman).

Titty Meat
03-18-2017, 12:39 PM
Watt is an absolute stud

BryanBusby
03-18-2017, 05:01 PM
That sounds absolutely retarded.

Chief Roundup
03-18-2017, 06:00 PM
That sounds absolutely retarded.

No not at all, especially if the players they are interested in are gone. Instead of trading back I would just as soon move it to a team in the middle wanting to move up for their 1st in 2018.

kccrow
03-18-2017, 06:16 PM
I'd trade a first this year for a 3rd or something this year and a 1st next year if it was a team currently picking top 10-ish.

BryanBusby
03-18-2017, 08:12 PM
No not at all, especially if the players they are interested in are gone. Instead of trading back I would just as soon move it to a team in the middle wanting to move up for their 1st in 2018.
Yeah, it really is.

To start, they would be taking a beating in trade value. Teams have been able to flip a 2nd rounder for a later lick and a next year 1st rounder. Swapping for tomorrow straight up is dumb as fuck.

This is a deep draft so there's going to be many players on the board.

Or is this the part where people think they can just easily wheel and deal for this mythical 2018 class? If this 18 class lives up to the chucklefucks hopes, it'll take a draft package that this fucking franchise will never, ever part with.

I mean fuck they were going gay for Paxton Lynch and couldn't be assed to part with a mixed bag of mid-rounders to secure him. What the fuck makes people think John Dorsey will pay several high choices instead?

Chief Roundup
03-18-2017, 09:00 PM
Yeah, it really is.

To start, they would be taking a beating in trade value. Teams have been able to flip a 2nd rounder for a later lick and a next year 1st rounder. Swapping for tomorrow straight up is dumb as fuck.

This is a deep draft so there's going to be many players on the board.

Or is this the part where people think they can just easily wheel and deal for this mythical 2018 class? If this 18 class lives up to the chucklefucks hopes, it'll take a draft package that this fucking franchise will never, ever part with.

I mean fuck they were going gay for Paxton Lynch and couldn't be assed to part with a mixed bag of mid-rounders to secure him. What the fuck makes people think John Dorsey will pay several high choices instead?

It depends on how you look at it. If a team tries to trade up it takes more future picks than current picks. So maybe we get a little boot in the deal, but if not then when it comes to next year and we need the ammo to move up we would have already paid that in a sense and we would not have to lose that on a future pick which would give us an advantage over the other teams that only have 1 pick in the 1st round.
We could pay part of that price now instead of waiting for the years after we have our QB and be able to surround him with the weapons and pieces we need.

They were not "gay for Paxton Lynch", that is some ridiculous shit.

BossChief
03-18-2017, 09:20 PM
I'd trade a first this year for a 3rd or something this year and a 1st next year if it was a team currently picking top 10-ish.

No question I'd do that, but I'd rather try to get a second back this year by giving up this years first and fourth for next years first and a second this year.

Maybe throw in Allen Bailey as a sweetener.

Chief Roundup
03-18-2017, 09:34 PM
No question I'd do that, but I'd rather try to get a second back this year by giving up this years first and fourth for next years first and a second this year.

:thumb:

RealSNR
03-18-2017, 09:37 PM
It depends on how you look at it. If a team tries to trade up it takes more future picks than current picks. So maybe we get a little boot in the deal, but if not then when it comes to next year and we need the ammo to move up we would have already paid that in a sense and we would not have to lose that on a future pick which would give us an advantage over the other teams that only have 1 pick in the 1st round.
We could pay part of that price now instead of waiting for the years after we have our QB and be able to surround him with the weapons and pieces we need.

They were not "gay for Paxton Lynch", that is some ridiculous shit.

Whether we get the ammo now or later, here's the bottom line of what you're proposing.

The draft order will come out in 2018. The comp picks will be announced. And the Chiefs will need to pay a handsome price to jump up and grab Mr. Magic Buttfuck in teh b3stest QB class evar!

Let's say they add an additional draft pick in the mid teens to go along with their late 20s draft pick they were awarded.

Are you ready for a Ricky Williams-like trade up to get Mr. Magic Butthole? Because that's what it's going to cost.

It's going to cost what the Redskins paid to get RGIII and probably worse.

Are you saying that the franchise, GM, and coach that is too fucking scared to spend a late 1st rounder on Derek Carr or Teddy Bridgewater is going to take THAT big of a risk?

Jesus fuck, I want a 1st round QB in KC more than most people, and not even I'M that desperate!

Shaid
03-18-2017, 10:14 PM
Yeah, it really is.

To start, they would be taking a beating in trade value. Teams have been able to flip a 2nd rounder for a later lick and a next year 1st rounder. Swapping for tomorrow straight up is dumb as ****.

Swapping a 2nd for a next year firs happens but it's pretty rare and I don't think you see it when you have a late 2nd like ours. Of course I'd do that if we could and of course I'd try something with additional picks, etc. The main point is we have a low 1st round pick so likeliness of getting a higher selection next year is pretty damn good. If we don't get a QB we believe in this year and we've got a pretty deep team, transfer that value to next year so we can actually make the move we need to make. Nothing trumps getting your franchise QB. My primary focus is securing a franchise QB, first and foremost. Getting the ammo now simply gives you more options.

Direckshun
03-19-2017, 07:24 AM
Whether we get the ammo now or later, here's the bottom line of what you're proposing.

The draft order will come out in 2018. The comp picks will be announced. And the Chiefs will need to pay a handsome price to jump up and grab Mr. Magic Butt**** in teh b3stest QB class evar!

Let's say they add an additional draft pick in the mid teens to go along with their late 20s draft pick they were awarded.

Are you ready for a Ricky Williams-like trade up to get Mr. Magic Butthole? Because that's what it's going to cost.

Are you saying that the franchise, GM, and coach that is too ****ing scared to spend a late 1st rounder on Derek Carr or Teddy Bridgewater is going to take THAT big of a risk?

Jesus ****, I want a 1st round QB in KC more than most people, and not even I'M that desperate!

I agree.

The best course of action for us is to pick a QB that simply best fits Andy Reid.

We're not getting an Andrew Luck. The best we can hope for is getting a Joe Flacco.

Dave Lane
03-19-2017, 08:01 AM

It had better be a 1 and a 2 next year or it is a retarded move

Dave Lane
03-19-2017, 08:04 AM
I agree.

The best course of action for us is to pick a QB that simply best fits Andy Reid.

We're not getting an Andrew Luck. The best we can hope for is getting a Joe Flacco.

No that might be their perceived ceiling but the bottom line is once in the league those expectations can either bloom or wither.

RippedmyFlesh
03-19-2017, 09:11 AM
I agree.

Nothing wrong with getting a Flacco. You can get a ring with him which is all everyone here wants. Well most any way.

staylor26
03-19-2017, 10:05 AM
This is great news. Terez had us taking Chris Jones is his mock last year.

rico
03-19-2017, 10:35 AM
This is great news. Terez had us taking Chris Jones is his mock last year.

Really? I'm assuming he had them taking him in the late first?

Guy has always seemed to have a general scoop on what the Chiefs are planning to do...

jjchieffan
03-19-2017, 10:44 AM
If none of the top QB's are available, I wouldn't be opposed to trading away our first again. And the idea of getting a first rounder for next year sounds pretty good considering the draft class of QBs. I would think that a second this year and next year's first would be a fair trade. Of course that would be subjective, based on who we trade with. Trading with the Pats would not be such a good deal for us. Trading with the Browns or the Rams would be a great trade for us, but too high of a price for the other team. I mean, could you imagine having a top 5 pick in next year's draft? Yeah, the Browns could win the Superbowl and the Pats could go 1-15. But I doubt it. It's more likely that KnowShit would question a Donk move. But, I'm sure that this discussion is moot. I just don't see us trading for a 2018 first round pick.

Titty Meat
03-19-2017, 12:04 PM
I've been critical of Mahomes I believe his mechanics are garbage but I'll say this dude has the biggest arm since Favre. If Dorsey drafts him I'll hope on board.

staylor26
03-19-2017, 12:14 PM
Really? I'm assuming he had them taking him in the late first?

Guy has always seemed to have a general scoop on what the Chiefs are planning to do...

Yea it was in the 1st. He's the best in terms of having any clue what Dorsey is going to do.

Chief Roundup
03-19-2017, 04:38 PM

The draft order will come out in 2018. The comp picks will be announced. And the Chiefs will need to pay a handsome price to jump up and grab Mr. Magic Buttfuck in teh b3stest QB class evar!

Are you saying that the franchise, GM, and coach that is too fucking scared to spend a late 1st rounder on Derek Carr or Teddy Bridgewater is going to take THAT big of a risk?

Jesus fuck, I want a 1st round QB in KC more than most people, and not even I'M that desperate!

Oh so you know that we will end up in the playoffs again this year? It is possible but the 2016 Chiefs pulled a couple of rabbits out of their ass. That may or may not happen again in 2017.
Yes I would be ready to trade the two 1st rounders in 2018 and one in 2019 to secure that QB.
If the 2018 draft is deeper then we wouldn't have to move up as far to get said QB either.
What makes you think that they were afraid to draft Carr or Bridgewater? Just because they choose to pass doesn't mean that they were afraid to.

YayMike
03-19-2017, 05:05 PM
Yea it was in the 1st. He's the best in terms of having any clue what Dorsey is going to do.

How awesome would it be if Mahommes fell to us at 27, then we could trade up in he second using our comp picks to get watt!!!

#WetDream

ChiefAshhole1056
03-19-2017, 05:36 PM

Terez is legitimately one of the best in the business, I think many are taking him for granted. It's going to suck whenever he leaves for bigger things.

RealSNR
03-19-2017, 05:58 PM
Oh so you know that we will end up in the playoffs again this year? It is possible but the 2016 Chiefs pulled a couple of rabbits out of their ass. That may or may not happen again in 2017.
Yes I would be ready to trade the two 1st rounders in 2018 and one in 2019 to secure that QB.
If the 2018 draft is deeper then we wouldn't have to move up as far to get said QB either.
What makes you think that they were afraid to draft Carr or Bridgewater? Just because they choose to pass doesn't mean that they were afraid to.

You're going to go in on a strategy that involves us missing the playoffs to get draft position? The odds are significantly in our favor to make the playoffs next year.

It's one thing to sacrifice the future to get something now. If the Chiefs want to use 2019 and 2020 picks to get more in 2018, fine by me, but it's pretty foolish to trade CURRENT first round picks for picks next year.

"We wouldn't have to move very far to get a QB." You know who else is thinking that? EVERY SINGLE OTHER TEAM. If the QB class is as bad as you say it is this year, we could see Cleveland, San Diego, New Orleans, Buffalo, Minnesota, and other teams who figure to be terrible try to grab QBs. We could see 4 QBs go before we even get a chance to trade up just to sniff one.

And you still haven't addressed my point about 2012. What do we do when the top 3 guys go and we're left with a couple guys with 1st round grades but just aren't "our" guys like Tannehill or Weeden? That kind of draft hole happens far more often than you think.

If Andy Reid likes Mahomes, then take him NOW. Let him sit for 1-2 years. I'd rather take my shot on that than bank on making a Redskins-like trade on a QB class we still know fucking nothing about.

RealSNR
03-19-2017, 06:00 PM
And if it turns out we DON'T like Mahomes and will just pass totally on a real QB this year, then just wait another year. Don't fuck around with next year and shit you can't control just yet.

Make the trade when you need to. Go full Ricky Williams. But do it when it's smart to do so.

RunKC
03-19-2017, 06:12 PM
And if it turns out we DON'T like Mahomes and will just pass totally on a real QB this year, then just wait another year. Don't **** around with next year and shit you can't control just yet.

Make the trade when you need to. Go full Ricky Williams. But do it when it's smart to do so.

It makes me sad that Doug Pederson did this right off the bat as a HC and we won't get rid of Alex.

And it fucking worked beautifully. They got rid of Bradford and got a 1st rd pick this year.

Just once I want us to get one of these guys.

-King-
03-19-2017, 06:41 PM
It makes me sad that Doug Pederson did this right off the bat as a HC and we won't get rid of Alex.

And it fucking worked beautifully. They got rid of Bradford and got a 1st rd pick this year.

Just once I want us to get one of these guys.
You think they planned that? It was just pure luck that Bridgewater broke his leg and Vikings were stupid enough to give up a 1st for Bradford.
Posted via Mobile Device

-King-
03-19-2017, 06:42 PM
You're going to go in on a strategy that involves us missing the playoffs to get draft position? The odds are significantly in our favor to make the playoffs next year.

It's one thing to sacrifice the future to get something now. If the Chiefs want to use 2019 and 2020 picks to get more in 2018, fine by me, but it's pretty foolish to trade CURRENT first round picks for picks next year.

"We wouldn't have to move very far to get a QB." You know who else is thinking that? EVERY SINGLE OTHER TEAM. If the QB class is as bad as you say it is this year, we could see Cleveland, San Diego, New Orleans, Buffalo, Minnesota, and other teams who figure to be terrible try to grab QBs. We could see 4 QBs go before we even get a chance to trade up just to sniff one.

And you still haven't addressed my point about 2012. What do we do when the top 3 guys go and we're left with a couple guys with 1st round grades but just aren't "our" guys like Tannehill or Weeden? That kind of draft hole happens far more often than you think.

If Andy Reid likes Mahomes, then take him NOW. Let him sit for 1-2 years. I'd rather take my shot on that than bank on making a Redskins-like trade on a QB class we still know fucking nothing about.

So you're okay with keeping Alex last 2018 if we draft Mahomes?
Posted via Mobile Device

Chief Roundup
03-19-2017, 06:52 PM

Yes if they like Mahomes great but if not or if he is gone. Make a move instead of trading back to gain more picks like last year.
I understand it is risky and is thinking outside the box but we cant just set back and hope for one to fall to us. I would like to see is be aggreasive and act like the position is more important than they have.

Sent from my SM-S906L using Tapatalk

O.city
03-19-2017, 07:04 PM
That 5th year option is a big deal. If they like someone at 27, take them their. That option is worth more than another oick

RealSNR
03-19-2017, 07:14 PM
So you're okay with keeping Alex last 2018 if we draft Mahomes?
Posted via Mobile Device

Of course. I, unlike most fans, will be extremely patient with our new rookie.

jd1020
03-19-2017, 08:03 PM

Mother **** that!!!!!!!!!

Take the $17M saved from cutting that bitch ass and throw it at Drew Brees for a couple years.

Oh who am I kidding? Brees isn't a backup. Doubt the Chiefs even know he'll be available.

BossChief
03-19-2017, 08:18 PM

For real...but you know what's gonna happen?

Lots of "Alex wouldn't have thrown that pick" ...and "Alex would have run for a first down there" and "he was lucky that deep ball was t intercepted and went for a TD"

I bet there will be about 20 of us that show patience with the kid through his mistakes and whatnot.

My rule for our new QB:

1st year starting...ignore mistakes and point out minute things the kid does well and try to see the little improvements in the kid. Look for mistakes to not be repeated in the same situations.

2nd year...by midseason he should be showing his true potential, but early in the year, the kid gets a pass for 2-3 bad games. That's an extremely tough time for young QBs. Every team they face has done tons of research on what you do well and what you're uncomfortable with and uses it against you. Growing pains are to be expected.

3rd year...Big numbers are to be expected over the last 8 games of the season and into the playoffs, as that's truly when you see a franchise QB make his mark. I want to see the kid play with poise and make decisions quickly and deliver the ball with accuracy and touch. Take advantage of opportunities for big plays and play well under pressure. I don't want to see an ounce of fear...I want to see a guy inspire his team both on the field and off.

Honestly, I see Mahomes as the guy that can do all of that.

RealSNR
03-19-2017, 09:04 PM
For real...but you know what's gonna happen?

Lots of "Alex wouldn't have thrown that pick" ...and "Alex would have run for a first down there" and "he was lucky that deep ball was t intercepted and went for a TD"

I bet there will be about 20 of us that show patience with the kid through his mistakes and whatnot.

My rule for our new QB:

1st year starting...ignore mistakes and point out minute things the kid does well and try to see the little improvements in the kid. Look for mistakes to not be repeated in the same situations.

2nd year...by midseason he should be showing his true potential, but early in the year, the kid gets a pass for 2-3 bad games. That's an extremely tough time for young QBs. Every team they face has done tons of research on what you do well and what you're uncomfortable with and uses it against you. Growing pains are to be expected.

3rd year...Big numbers are to be expected over the last 8 games of the season and into the playoffs, as that's truly when you see a franchise QB make his mark. I want to see the kid play with poise and make decisions quickly and deliver the ball with accuracy and touch. Take advantage of opportunities for big plays and play well under pressure. I don't want to see an ounce of fear...I want to see a guy inspire his team both on the field and off.

Honestly, I see Mahomes as the guy that can do all of that.

I'm counting on it.

These assholes come across as, "I want what's best for the team! It's classless to root against the QB!" and I can just see them stick to their guns to the point that it causes them to turn into hypocrites. They'll reassert that they were right to cheer for the shitty veterans we traded for because the rookie we drafted isn't doing well.

We won't see it very much on this board. I genuinely think people are going to give the guy a lot of leash on here except for a few whackos like Tiger. But we'll see it on places like Clay's RedTribe facebook page or on ChiefsCoalition. Just like you said. "I miss Alex Smith! The guy knew how to win games! Protecting the ball is a vastly underrated skill!"

What's even worse, though, is the crazies are going to seek retribution for stupid shit. Some guy who got told he was stupid during the Geno stuff is going to shit and laugh at Mahomes in his struggles. Threebag will be an insufferable cunt.

Mr_Tomahawk
03-20-2017, 10:01 PM
1. Watt
2. Webb

Win

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pasta Little Brioni
03-21-2017, 08:21 AM

This isn't Madden ROFL THROW IN A GUY TO RAISE THE INTEREST BAR BRUH!!

raybec 4
03-21-2017, 09:40 AM
1. Watt
2. Webb

Win

This actually sounds good, but your undying love for Tyler Bray makes me a skeptic

DJ's left nut
03-21-2017, 10:40 AM
That 5th year option is a big deal. If they like someone at 27, take them their. That option is worth more than another oick

I'm looking forward to having this conversation with people in 3 years when they point out how pissed off I was over the trade-down that yielded Jones. "THEY WERE GOING TO TAKE HIM IN THE FIRST AND THEY GOT A FREE PICK INSTEAD!!!!"

Free don't exist in the NFL. They traded a year of cost control for a 4th rounder. That's gonna be a big time oops in the very near future.

You absolutely, positively, do not EVER trade out of the 1st unless you're getting at least an additional 2nd in return and don't have to move down more than 10-15 spots for the privilege of doing so. It's a poor decision in the long-run.

Titty Meat
03-21-2017, 12:07 PM
I'm looking forward to having this conversation with people in 3 years when they point out how pissed off I was over the trade-down that yielded Jones. "THEY WERE GOING TO TAKE HIM IN THE FIRST AND THEY GOT A FREE PICK INSTEAD!!!!"

Free don't exist in the NFL. They traded a year of cost control for a 4th rounder. That's gonna be a big time oops in the very near future.

You absolutely, positively, do not EVER trade out of the 1st unless you're getting at least an additional 2nd in return and don't have to move down more than 10-15 spots for the privilege of doing so. It's a poor decision in the long-run.

Not only did they get Jones they got a starting guard and DJ White who I still think could be good. Totally worth it.

ct
03-21-2017, 12:25 PM
Not only did they get Jones they got a starting guard and DJ White who I still think could be good. Totally worth it.

28 1-28 Chiefs/49ers

Traded • 2016 second round pick (#37-Chris Jones) • 2016 fourth round pick (#105-Parker Ehinger) • 2016 sixth round pick (#178-D.J. White) to Chiefs for • 2016 first round pick (#28-Joshua Garnett) • 2016 seventh round pick (#249-Prince Charles Iworah) on 2016-04-28

already looks like a terrific trade. keep the 5th year option, i'll take the extra two potential starters.

raybec 4
03-21-2017, 01:13 PM
28 1-28 Chiefs/49ers

Traded • 2016 second round pick (#37-Chris Jones) • 2016 fourth round pick (#105-Parker Ehinger) • 2016 sixth round pick (#178-D.J. White) to Chiefs for • 2016 first round pick (#28-Joshua Garnett) • 2016 seventh round pick (#249-Prince Charles Iworah) on 2016-04-28

already looks like a terrific trade. keep the 5th year option, i'll take the extra two potential starters.

Fuck that shit, we should've stayed in the first and drafted Prince Charles Iworah.

DJ's left nut
03-21-2017, 01:13 PM

The draft is non-linear and they had a massive hole at G. Who's to say they wouldn't have just taken Ehinger with the pick they used on Russell? They traded that year for a 4th round pick. The value of 4th round picks in this league is pretty damn nominal.

And DJ White is a complete JAG until proven otherwise.

ILChief
03-21-2017, 07:20 PM
If the top 4 QB's are gone when we pick, take the 5th one. If the top 5 are gone, take the 6th one

Mr. Laz
03-23-2017, 09:57 AM
If the top 4 QB's are gone when we pick, take the 5th one. If the top 5 are gone, take the 6th one
So draft a QB no matter what, it doesn't matter if they are any good?

:shake:

raybec 4
03-23-2017, 10:07 AM

Nope

DJ's left nut
03-23-2017, 10:42 AM
Nope

At least one more word than the idea merited.

BossChief
03-23-2017, 10:11 PM

That's dumb.

I'm a guy that would spend a first rounder on a QB every third year till one hit...but if I don't believe in any of the guys that are on the board when I'm picking, I'm not picking one just to pick one.

I have to see a plan in place for how his specific mental and physical skillet can translate to the NFL in KCs specific situation. And not just translate to the NFL...I have to think "if this guy hits his ceiling, can I win superbowls with him?"

Superbowls.

Will any of his specific mental or physical limitations limit my teams chances of winning a Lombardi trophy?

How long will it take for him to learn enough to become the teams starter...best and worst case scenario?

How advanced is he at reading defenses presnap?
How well does he already know NFL personnel?
How long will it take him to learn how to call the really wordy playcalls for Andy Reid's offense?
How fast does he identify coverages?
How fast does he come off his first read?
How often does he throw it past 20 yards downfield?...is he successfull at it, generally?
Is he smart enough to dump it off instead of taking really big risks, but also forcing defenses to play honest because he attacks every zone of the field?
Does he has a compact/quick release?
Has he had to go through progressions and if yes, what kind? Were they high to low? Low to high? Work from left to right and vice versa?
What kind of route combinations is he comfortable with?
How is he on third down? Does he step up and lead, or go into a shell and play predictably safe football?
Do his teammates love him? When he gets to the sideline after a scoring drive, do his teammates greet him with enthusiasm, or does he walk to the sidelines by himself and sit alone?
In situations when his team really needed him to make a play, did he generally rise to the occasion and deliver, or does he let you down in those situations?
Does he extend plays with his legs and complete big pass plays after buying extra time for teammates to get open?
Does he fight for first downs?
Do his teammates give everything they have for him?

I mean, I'm just a guy on the couch and I try to look for as much info as I can.

I can only imagine what kind of stuff Dorsey digs up.

MotherfuckerJones
03-24-2017, 04:46 AM
If the top 4 QBs are gone, I'm looking at McCaffrey RB or Watt LB. Trade down is also an option.

YayMike
03-24-2017, 06:00 AM
If the top 4 QBs are gone, I want either Dalvin Cooks, McCaffrey, or trade down.

RealSNR
03-24-2017, 06:02 AM
If we take McCaffery in the 1st, I'm going to violently puke and blow diarrhea at the same time.

That is a nightmare scenario for me

YayMike
03-24-2017, 06:07 AM
If we take McCaffery in the 1st, I'm going to violently puke and blow diarrhea at the same time.

That is a nightmare scenario for me

I don't think you have anything to worry about. I imagine in Mahommes is anywhere close to the late teens, we will trade up for him or whomever we want.

Secondly, I think that McCaffery will be gone before we pick.

Are you against Cook as a selection, or just RBs in general in the first?

RealSNR
03-24-2017, 06:11 AM
I don't think you have anything to worry about. I imagine in Mahommes is anywhere close to the late teens, we will trade up for him or whomever we want.

Secondly, I think that McCaffery will be gone before we pick.

Are you against Cook as a selection, or just RBs in general in the first?

RBs in general. We're in a deep draft for RBs. We can get a starter fucking anywhere.

But McCaffery especially. We have so many gadget fuckers that operate out of the short passing game. Ware is a fantastic pass-catching RB. And we line up Hill in the backfield all the time.

YayMike
03-24-2017, 06:14 AM
RBs in general. We're in a deep draft for RBs. We can get a starter ****ing anywhere.

But McCaffery especially. We have so many gadget ****ers that operate out of the short passing game. Ware is a fantastic pass-catching RB. And we line up Hill in the backfield all the time.

Gotcha. I think Cook is a game changer though. Not disputing we don't have bigger needs in the first, but I think he could really make an immediate impact if our strategy is Best Player Available.

Bowser
03-24-2017, 07:52 AM
Houston won't let Mahomes slip by them, and that is assuming he makes it that far. If he is sitting there at 24 and we want him, we are going to HAVE to trade up to get him.

KC_Lee
03-24-2017, 08:18 AM
Houston won't let Mahomes slip by them, and that is assuming he makes it that far. If he is sitting there at 24 and we want him, we are going to HAVE to trade up to get him.

Swap with the Titans and get pick 18, draft best QB available, sell millions of jerseys, insane profit.

DJ's left nut
03-24-2017, 10:01 AM

Then we take Kizer.

I don't think they'll both be gone by our pick. And frankly, I think O'Brien would prefer Kizer to Mahomes but that's just my impression.

O.city
03-24-2017, 10:03 AM
After seeing McCaffrey run routes at his day, I'd gladly take him here.

I think the dude ends up being Brian Westbrook 2.0 with the ability to play some wr.

O.city
03-24-2017, 10:05 AM
I like the idea of McCaffrey in that it allows us to carry an extra player somewhere else. Because of his versatility, you could carry 1 less wr or rb and an extra dl or something on gameday

Chiefnj2
03-24-2017, 10:09 AM
Mahomes will not go in the first.

raybec 4
03-24-2017, 10:12 AM
Mahomes will not go in the first.

Based on what? He's working out or meeting with 18 teams. That in itself should be telling.

MahiMike
03-24-2017, 10:17 AM
If the top 4 QBs are gone, I'm looking at McCaffrey RB or Watt LB. Trade down is also an option.

This. I think McCaffrey would be a stud for Andy.

DJ's left nut
03-24-2017, 10:25 AM
I like the idea of McCaffrey in that it allows us to carry an extra player somewhere else. Because of his versatility, you could carry 1 less wr or rb and an extra dl or something on gameday

So who do his yards come at the expense of?

Because 'Even Steven' under center is incapable of producing MORE yards or points, he just produces them differently regardless of the weapons we have. So if you bring in McCaffrey, his yardage will just come at the expense of Ware, Kelce, Hill, Maclin and Conley. It will not come in addition to their yards.

Alex Smith is incapable of being more productive than average regardless of the weapons you give him. Surround him with HoFers and he's throwing for 3800 yards and running for 200 more while being responsible for somewhere between 18 and 23 TDs.

Give him utter tripe and he's throwing for 3300 yards while running for 400 more and being responsible for somwhere between 17 and 22 total TDs.

Stop bothering. Stop getting him linemen. Stop getting him receivers or running backs. Stop using capital to try to improve his situation because it just doesn't goddamn matter - he is going to throw for 220-230 YPG and run for another 20ish. And if the passing yards go up, the rushing yards will come down. You're looking at 230-240 yards per game in total offense from Alex Smith regardless of who you give him.

So burning another 1st round pick on him would be goddamn retarded because in the end, all it's going to do is change the 'how' on the yardage and points, it ain't gonna change the 'how much'. And it won't change the 'when' - which is to say that when we need him most, he'll turtle and dump it off while your shiny first round draft pick is running uncovered down the center of the field.

He's the absolute pinnacle of mediocrity. I've never seen anything like it.

The Franchise
03-24-2017, 10:27 AM

Because 'Even Steven' under center is incapable of producing MORE yards or points, he just produces them differently regardless of the weapons we have. So if you bring in McCaffrey, his yardage will just come at the expense of Ware, Kelce, Hill, Maclin and Conley. It will not come in addition to their yards.

Alex Smith is incapable of being more productive than average regardless of the weapons you give him. Surround him with HoFers and he's throwing for 3800 yards and running for 200 more while being responsible for somewhere between 18 and 23 TDs.

Give him utter tripe and he's throwing for 3300 yards while running for 400 more and being responsible for somwhere between 17 and 22 total TDs.

Stop bothering. Stop getting him linemen. Stop getting him receivers or running backs. Stop using capital to try to improve his situation because it just doesn't goddamn matter - he is going to throw for 220-230 YPG and run for another 20ish. And if the passing yards go up, the rushing yards will come down. You're looking at 230-240 yards per game in total offense from Alex Smith regardless of who you give him.

So burning another 1st round pick on him would be goddamn retarded because in the end, all it's going to do is change the 'how' on the yardage and points, it ain't gonna change the 'how much'. And it won't change the 'when' - which is to say that when we need him most, he'll turtle and dump it off while your shiny first round draft pick is running uncovered down the center of the field.

:clap:

I'll suffer through another year of Smith if there's a rookie behind him that's getting groomed. And not some bullshit 5th round pick either.

O.city
03-24-2017, 10:38 AM
They've essentially set them up to have to move on from smith next year at this point, financially.

It depends how they can play their board. At this point, a qb of the future is obviously a priority, I was just pointing out McCaffrey as a player in a vacuum. He's gonna be a really good pro somewhere and I think in a Reid's offense, with the other weapons here, we'd be awesome.

Sandy Vagina
03-24-2017, 10:40 AM

Will say this much.. when you flop, you do it with vigorous conviction! :clap:

O.city
03-24-2017, 10:42 AM
I think at this point, we have enough data to make a conclusion on the current qb. He did his job here and I'm grateful. Now it's time to take it to the next level.

raybec 4
03-24-2017, 10:56 AM
I think at this point, we have enough data to make a conclusion on the current qb. He did his job here and I'm grateful. Now it's time to take it to the next level.

That's exactly the point. He was precisely what they needed to go from 2-14 to respectable. He's maxed out, time to improve. He's certainly not bad, he just isn't going to get better.

Chiefnj2
03-24-2017, 10:57 AM
Based on what? He's working out or meeting with 18 teams. That in itself should be telling.

Based on the fact that he's not that good and is the 4th or 5th ranked QB in a semi-poor draft class.

raybec 4
03-24-2017, 11:02 AM
Based on the fact that he's not that good and is the 4th or 5th ranked QB in a semi-poor draft class.

4th or 5th ranked depending on who you talk to. Just like every other qb in this class he has warts but he has the best arm in the class and if his foot work was better he'd be easily top 2. We'll see come draft day but I bet he goes top 25.

ct
03-24-2017, 01:01 PM
Then we take Kizer.

I don't think they'll both be gone by our pick. And frankly, I think O'Brien would prefer Kizer to Mahomes but that's just my impression.

I get this feeling too. after teh osweiler fiasco, just feel o'brien is gonna want a guy that will toe the line on and off the field. not sure mahomes is a trustworthy "program" guy this year.

DJ's left nut
03-24-2017, 01:39 PM
Will say this much.. when you flop, you do it with vigorous conviction! :clap:

Backed the guy for 4 years - thought he was good enough to take us where we need to go.

He isn't. It's not a flop - it's simply giving a guy plenty of rope and watching him hang himself.

Smith has been a virtually identical player for his 4 years here and the talent put around him hasn't changed things. When his supporting cast is bad, that's a good team. When his supporting cast is good, he's the governor; the limiting factor that keeps the team from taking the next step.

He's served his purpose and it's time to replace him.

DJ's left nut
03-24-2017, 01:41 PM

It only takes one GM to think he's the best or even a top 3 guy. Just one - and that's how he goes in the 1st.

And somebody will think exactly that. They'll see the arm talent, athleticism and improvisational skills and believe they can fix him. That's the nature of NFL front office guys - ego fuels them to believe they can iron out any kinks.

And I'll tell you this - they can iron out a lot of them.

I think somebody will take a shot at him (and no, he is in no way any worse than the 4th best QB in this class. Tell me you're not putting guys like Peterman and Webb ahead of him).

Tribal Warfare
03-24-2017, 02:30 PM

You mean the 23rd pick the Raiders own the 24th

Sandy Vagina
03-24-2017, 02:57 PM
Backed the guy for 4 years - thought he was good enough to take us where we need to go.

He isn't. It's not a flop - it's simply giving a guy plenty of rope and watching him hang himself.

Smith has been a virtually identical player for his 4 years here and the talent put around him hasn't changed things. When his supporting cast is bad, that's a good team. When his supporting cast is good, he's the governor; the limiting factor that keeps the team from taking the next step.

He's served his purpose and it's time to replace him.

After so many years, there's this little voice that wants to dispute this... but I don't trust that voice anymore. Your 4 year conclusion is fair, and likely on point.

That said, I don't think it's horrible that KC will start him for one more... and it IS time to be developing a day 1 or 2 rookie.

Fansy the Famous Bard
03-24-2017, 03:33 PM
After so many years, there's this little voice that wants to dispute this... but I don't trust that voice anymore. Your 4 year conclusion is fair, and likely on point.

That said, I don't think it's horrible that KC will start him for one more... and it IS time to be developing a day 1 or 2 rookie.

https://38.media.tumblr.com/b67f8efc743c701187b95cb707b106a4/tumblr_nv9s8bBF2J1rl1lyeo7_500.gif

Chief Roundup
03-24-2017, 04:25 PM
http://arrowheadaddict.com/2017/03/24/should-kansas-city-chiefs-draft-patrick-mahomes/

Opponent: Louisiana Tech

Improvises well and slides in the pocket to buy himself time
Will carry the ball low-and-loose while doing so (sliding in the pocket)
Throwing motion seems to vary between a 3/4ths and over-the-top delivery
Has some slick and convincing ball fakes
Can fling it effortlessly
Footwork looks sludgy in the pocket at times
Can quickly get going (scramble) to avoid pressure
His game appears to lack attention to detail
Some of his pitches (to running backs) look lazy
Thinks/reacts quickly in the face of a negative play
Threw a BAD pick (that was called back) due to pressure
Mechanics are REALLY inconsistent
Bad touch on a screen pass
Freezes in the face of pressure quite often (three times in this game)
Throws off of his back foot a lot
Doesn’t step into his throws enough
Often doesn’t tuck the ball away when leaving the pocket (on a scramble)
Seems he’s regularly flat-footed in the pocket
Opponent: West Virginia

Ball sailed the result of not stepping into a throw
Threw a horrible pass that almost got picked
Athleticism gets him out of trouble half of the time
FANTASTIC downfield throw despite pressure
Touch on certain kinds of throws just isn’t there
Sells the read-option REALLY well
His offensive line STINKS!
Makes A LOT of plays for leaky pass pro
GREAT arm (TD on 3rd & 29)!
Ball zips when his mechanics are good
Throws outside the numbers take a while to get there
Struggles to throw the fade route
Quick screens are usually thrown high
Makes some WTF throws sometimes when pressured
Throws well on the run
Almost got receiver decapitated on a crosser
Trying to create a play out of nothing often gets him sacked
Love all that I’m seeing in receiver Keke Coutee!
Opponent: Arizona State

Mahomes’ offense bears a resemblance to Reid’s west coast system
Doesn’t always know when to pitch the ball in read-option situations
I like Derrick Willies!
Has trouble resetting his feet when sliding in the pocket
Has trouble sensing pressure coming from his back side
Bad mechanics caused two picks
Opponent: Oklahoma

I LIKE Sadler!
Mahomes should NEVER throw across his body
Did he just throw a pass left-handed?
Touch on deep throws is questionable
Throws lack velocity due to poor mechanics
Makes too manym near-pick throws
Retreats in pocket waaaaaay too much
Keeps his eyes downfield when trying to make a play
Fantastic job of selling read-option
Questionable accuracy on deep balls
Can be baited into picks by a defender
Did I say how much I like Coutee?
Ball placement is suspect
Has tough time putting the ball around the numbers
Can improvise when necessary
DIME to Davis for a TD
I LIKE Giles!
This many throws in the NFL would lead to a ton of turnovers
Mahomes has trouble sliding when he scrambles (doesn’t look smooth)
Has skill players who make a TON of plays for him
Opponent: Baylor

Throws into a group of defenders a bunch
Retreating into the pocket will be a BIG problem at the next level
KEKE COUTEE! Great adjustment on the TD
FANTASTIC TD catch (Dylan Cantrell)
Mahomes has some great weapons who contribute lots of chunk plays
Quan Shorts! TD! Wow!
KEKE COUTEE! (Expletive redacted) He’d be GREAT in Kansas City
Giles BUCKLED a defender with a move in the open field WOOOOOOOOOW
Weapons showed him up in this game!
Intentional grounding was ATROCIOUS
Coutee concentration on a tipped ball!
Threw a dime on a would-be TD to Wesley
Great back-shoulder throw on Cantrell TD
Coutee is a FREAK!
Wesley with TWO end zone drops?
Third Quarter scramble was IMPRESSIVE
Coutee FROZE a man with a move to earn more yards
Touch on fades and corners? YUCK!
Opponent: Kansas

Swing passes are consistently poorly thrown
Cantrell bailed Mahomes out with a magnificent grab in the first quarter
Giles has wheels (first quarter TD)
Cameron Batson’s a playmaker!
WTF INT to Smithson
Giles is FAST!
Pressure just causes Mahomes to panic
Back foot throws are the rule (not the exception)
Derrick Willies made a GREAT catch in traffic to avoid Mahomes’ pass being picked
Batson’s damn good in the open field
Coutee with a ridiculous second quarter TD catch
Slant throws typically high
SICK catch for TD by Willies to end the half
3rd and 9 sack in third quarter was AWFUL! He lost 22 yards!!
Great play on a QB draw!
Opponent: Oklahoma State

Throws to sidelines? WOOF!
Ran into a sack
Cantrell having a day!
Long, wind-up delivery
SICK ball fake on a read-option play
One-handed grab by Cantrell!
Great contested catch by Batson
So many wayward throws
Mahomes line is GAB-BAGE!
Fourth Quarter near pick in the redzone was TURR-IBLE (Charles Barkley voice)
Giles can go with the ball in his hands!
Opponent: Texas Christian

It’s unbelievable how rarely he sets his feet and steps into his throws
Delayed blitzes/stunts/twists cause Mahomes BIG problems
Batson makes plays out of no play
Great throw on the run to Reginald Davis III for a TD
Batson bailed Mahomes out on what would have been a sure interception
Costs receivers yardage with high throws
With time, he can still struggle to find an open receiver or throw one open
Hangs on to the ball TOO LONG TOO MUCH
Overtime scramble for a TD! WOW!
Opponent: Texas

Good catch by Willies with defender draped all over him
Willies is a tough receiver who runs well after the catch
DIME to Giles late in the first quarter
Giles tiptoed the sidelines beautifully on early TD grab
Maybe the best game I’ve watched Mahomes play
Flashes the potential to succeed at the next level in this game
3rd & 15 Houdini escape act (second quarter play)
Keeps cool despite collapsing pocket (third quarter play)
Great throw on a fade route (would-be TD to Cantrell)
Batson tough run after catch for a TD
Like how he keeps his eyes downfield with chaos around him
Willies has the look of an NFL receiver (big guy who can run)
LASER to Cantrell (fourth quarter play)
DIME to Giles for a near TD
GREAT touch to Cantrell on shallow cross
Mahomes has a tell (dips the ball below his waist just before delivering it)
Cantrell having another day!
Tough pick to nullify a great comeback
Opponent: Kansas State

Giles with good move to sidestep defender and get a first down (first quarter play)
GOOD catch by Giles on a high-throw (first quarter play)
DIME to Lauderdale…over-the-shoulder
INCREDIBLE ball fake on the keeper play (TD)
Mahomes throws often get his receivers blown up (recognition issue?)
Play fake, TERRIBLE pick-6 (RECOGNITION?)
Coutee’s so good. Great vision! Great open-field runner! SPEED! TD catch and run!
Second Quarter TD run of 16 yards. SUPERB! (audible WHOA)
Deep throw to Coutee – 45 yards in the air
Coutee climbed a ladder to haul in a tall throw from Mahomes (second quarter play)
Lauderdale is talented. Will be good if he continues to improve.
DUMB sack on 3rd & 11 (third quarter play)
Tough third down conversion by Willies!
Great deep sideline throw to Giles
Tough third down catch-and-run for first down to Giles
Beautiful throw on would-be TD to Cantrell (called back)
Coutee FIGHTS for extra yards!
Cantrell sticks out on tape! Good possession WR with sticky hands! (he’d be great in NE)
STUPID touchdown grab at the back of the end zone by Batson!
Overall, I think the negatives outweigh the positives with Mahomes. His issues with inconsistent mechanics are deeply troubling to me. He’ll need time to adjust his throwing motion, learn to properly set his feet and step into his throws to correct his issues with ball placement. He’s a bit more of project than a Day 1 prospect should be in my estimation.

I think with the right coach, he could eventually become a good football player in the National Football League. As it stands, he has far too many bad habits to warrant the 27th overall pick. Were the Chiefs in rebuild mode, he’d be an excellent draft choice in the middle rounds. They’d be in perfect position to afford him all the developmental time necessary.

Even late in the first round, I think the Chiefs should pursue a more NFL-ready player. There are other quarterbacks, with comparable talent and development needs, that can be had in the third and fourth round. Sadly, the tape did more to expose Mahomes than cement him as the right decision for Kansas City in Round One. He has enough talent that the pick shouldn’t disappoint anyone in the Kingdom, but he also comes with enough question marks to make it the decision imprudent.

I know full well this post could potentially be highly controversial so I encourage you to watch the game film and come to your own conclusions. Of course this still doesn’t answer the question of who I think the Chiefs should draft with the 27th pick, but there is time still for having that conversation. It’s a process (of elimination). I plan to take a look at Deshaun Watson next week.

Would you be willing to take a risk on a player with your top pick simply for the sake of the organization finally drafting another quarterback in the first round? Do you have a different opinion of the same game tape? Is there another quarterback you’d prefer to have in the top round? Use the comment section below to weigh in on the subject. As always, we appreciate your readership and support!

O.city
03-24-2017, 04:51 PM
In typical CP fashion, I think we've overrated the fuck out of the QB's. I bet some of the top 4 guys are there in the 2nd round.

BryanBusby
03-24-2017, 05:00 PM
Mahomes will go higher than he probably should off pure talent and Trubisky looks the part of a first round QB.

The rest I can see falling to Friday or later.

Titty Meat
03-24-2017, 07:01 PM
In typical CP fashion, I think we've overrated the **** out of the QB's. I bet some of the top 4 guys are there in the 2nd round.

Absolutely this.

RunKC
03-24-2017, 08:52 PM
In typical CP fashion, I think we've overrated the **** out of the QB's. I bet some of the top 4 guys are there in the 2nd round.

Rodgers fell to 24
Derek Carr was a 2nd rd pick
Jamaal Charles was a 3rd rd pick

There's a lot of dumb fucks running teams in the NFL, but fortunately we aren't one of those teams anymore.

I trust John Dorsey. If he picks one early he should have the benefit of the doubt.

Sandy Vagina
03-24-2017, 08:58 PM
JFC.. Derek Carr is mentioned in the likes of Jamaal Charles and Aaron Rodgers.

:facepalm:

BossChief
03-24-2017, 11:52 PM

It's very possible.

All of these guys have warts...but the nice thing about the Chiefs situation is that a young QB wouldn't need to play right away.

He would have time to get ready to play and would step into a situation with a solid OL, great weapons on offense to pair with a defense/STs that not only limit opposing teams from scoring much, they score quite a bit themselves and set the kid up with great field position.

It's really an ideal situation for a QB and that 5th year option is HUGE.

Last years 27th overall pick only got a 4 year deal for 9.4m total...sure would be nice to upgrade at QB while also saving money.

Hog's Gone Fishin
03-25-2017, 07:22 AM
Rodgers fell to 24
Derek Carr was a 2nd rd pick
Jamaal Charles was a 3rd rd pick

There's a lot of dumb ****s running teams in the NFL, but fortunately we aren't one of those teams anymore.

I trust John Dorsey. If he picks one early he should have the benefit of the doubt.

Tyreek Hill fell to Rd 5 . He's 1st rd talent so there are obviously 32 dumbfuck teams.

TRR
03-25-2017, 07:57 AM
Tyreek Hill fell to Rd 5 . He's 1st rd talent so there are obviously 32 dumb**** teams.

There is only one reason why Tyreek fell to the 5th round.

Analysts are down on this QB class because there isn't a player in the draft that is ready to start day one. Analysts want instant gratification in which to prove they were right or wrong about a prospect. KC is in a different place. Whether they were to pick Trubisky, Kizer, Watson or Mahomes; none of them will play in 2017. May not even play in 2018...that's what makes this QB draft class interesting (I may even say adventagious) for the Chiefs, and very bad for others.

Coogs
03-25-2017, 10:06 AM

This. :clap:

Coogs
03-25-2017, 10:11 AM
:clap:

I'll suffer through another year of Smith if there's a rookie behind him that's getting groomed. And not some bullshit 5th round pick either.

And this. :clap:

Identify the QB for the Chiefs long term, and go get him. Reid may not be here for the full length of that QB, as he has been here 4 years, and isn't getting any younger. So what if the QB doesn't exactly fit Reid's offense. It's Dorsey's job to look for the long term answer instead of the short term.

kccrow
03-25-2017, 10:26 AM

This may be the most concise summation of Alex Smith ever put into words.

Hog's Gone Fishin
03-26-2017, 07:03 AM

While what you say is true why not get things in place as it only will take one hit for Alex to go down and the Big arm of Tyler bray to step in to hit all these receivers with deep balls.

Mr. Laz
03-26-2017, 03:34 PM
I just don't see it.

Reid wanted a low risk,low reward character quarterback as HIS guys when he came to KC.

People now think that he is going to go for a boom/bust guy now?

I guess maybe he wanted to stabilize the team first.

It's just as likely that he just doesn't want a pain in the ass guy at QB that he has to worry about all the time.

Imo if Reid really goes for a QB in the draft it will be a more conservative pick.

Coogs
03-26-2017, 06:53 PM
I just don't see it.

Reid wanted a low risk,low reward character quarterback as HIS guys when he came to KC.

People now think that he is going to go for a boom/bust guy now?

I guess maybe he wanted to stabilize the team first.

It's just as likely that he just doesn't want a pain in the ass guy at QB that he has to worry about all the time.

Imo if Reid really goes for a QB in the draft it will be a more conservative pick.

Pick the best QB. Not the one who best fits the "West Coast" offense.

Chief Roundup
03-26-2017, 07:12 PM

That goes hand in hand. If the QB cannot have success in the system he will not be "the best". There is a reason that teams bring in certain OC based on their QB.

raybec 4
03-28-2017, 10:43 PM
That goes hand in hand. If the QB cannot have success in the system he will not be "the best". There is a reason that teams bring in certain OC based on their QB.

What team has done that?

RippedmyFlesh
03-29-2017, 01:12 AM
Reid's teams with mcnabb moved the ball and he was the polar opposite of smith. So I think the playbook is big enough to take advantage of a different style qb than smith.Sadly I kind of agree with Laz that reid may not have the patience anymore to develop a young starter.

milkman
03-29-2017, 05:37 AM
Why do people act like Reid is some old fart that lacks patience?

He's 58 years old, with plenty of time to develop a QB.

-King-
03-29-2017, 07:58 AM

I personally don't want a QB that takes more than one year on the bench to be the starter. Call me impatient but if they need to sit for more than that, I don't want them.
Posted via Mobile Device

milkman
03-29-2017, 08:05 AM
I personally don't want a QB that takes more than one year on the bench to be the starter. Call me impatient but if they need to sit for more than that, I don't want them.
Posted via Mobile Device

Nothing personal, but I don't give a rat's ass about your lack of patience.

If I see a QB that I think has the potential to be an elite QB, but I feel he needs 2 years to develop before he hits the field, then I'm taking him.

SAGA45
03-29-2017, 06:04 PM
I think Reid is swayed more by high football intelligence and acumen as well as experience in a pro style offense. I don't doubt that whichever QB the Chiefs draft (if they draft one) will have those boxes checked above all else.

RunKC
03-29-2017, 06:06 PM
I think Reid is swayed more by high football intelligence and acumen as well as experience in a pro style offense. I don't doubt that whichever QB the Chiefs draft (if they draft one) will have those boxes checked above all else.

Peterman or Dobbs

Bewbies
03-29-2017, 07:59 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

I'm sure Packers fans really regret waiting on Aaron Rodgers. He's probably the exception, but who gives a shit if you've got a wait before you get a decade of greatness?

-King-
03-30-2017, 04:47 AM
I'm sure Packers fans really regret waiting on Aaron Rodgers. He's probably the exception, but who gives a shit if you've got a wait before you get a decade of greatness?

Yeah because the chiefs and Packers are totally in the same position. Alex Smith and favre are totally the same and the Packers totally planned having favre flake on retiring for 3 years and Rodgers having to sit on the bench for that long.

Good comparison bro.
Posted via Mobile Device

-King-
03-30-2017, 04:50 AM
Nothing personal, but I don't give a rat's ass about your lack of patience.

If I see a QB that I think has the potential to be an elite QB, but I feel he needs 2 years to develop before he hits the field, then I'm taking him.

Which QBs in the modern era have sat for 2 or more years developing and actually became great? If a QB NEEDS 2+ years of developing before he can even hit the field then I doubt he's that good of a prospect to begin with.
Posted via Mobile Device

Titty Meat
03-30-2017, 07:31 AM

There's nothing in his past that would indicate this but I would play DA and say he's been a head coach for 18 years in a row and over 30 in coaching. How much longer before he gets burnt out? He's coming up on year 5 coaches rarely win a title with a team after being there longer than 6 seasons.

RealSNR
03-30-2017, 08:46 AM
Yeah because the chiefs and Packers are totally in the same position. Alex Smith and favre are totally the same and the Packers totally planned having favre flake on retiring for 3 years and Rodgers having to sit on the bench for that long.

Good comparison bro.
Posted via Mobile Device

Favre had given no indication at all that he wanted to retire when Rodgers was drafted. The Packers are the ones who let him stick around as long as he did.

Oh and by the way, when the Packers finally gave Rodgers the keys to the car, guess what? They CONTINUED to invest at the QB position by drafting Brian Brohm in the 2nd (and Matt Flynn in the 7th for what it's worth)

The Chiefs have NEVER prepared for life after their veteran starter. Best we got was 3rd round Brodie Croyle. Whoop dee damn doo.

KC_Lee
03-30-2017, 08:53 AM
Favre had given no indication at all that he wanted to retire when Rodgers was drafted. The Packers are the ones who let him stick around as long as he did.

Oh and by the way, when the Packers finally gave Rodgers the keys to the car, guess what? They CONTINUED to invest at the QB position by drafting Brian Brohm in the 2nd (and Matt Flynn in the 7th for what it's worth)

The Chiefs have NEVER prepared for life after their veteran starter. Best we got was 3rd round Brodie Croyle. Whoop dee damn doo.

https://media.tenor.co/images/ddc18f037d922238cdb49200e76b5078/tenor.gif

ct
03-30-2017, 12:24 PM
Analysts are down on this QB class because there isn't a player in the draft that is ready to start day one. Analysts want instant gratification in which to prove they were right or wrong about a prospect. KC is in a different place. Whether they were to pick Trubisky, Kizer, Watson or Mahomes; none of them will play in 2017. May not even play in 2018...that's what makes this QB draft class interesting (I may even say adventagious) for the Chiefs, and very bad for others.

This is worth quoting and rereading.

Top qb draft prospects are not available @27, they are long gone in the top half of the 1st.

Talented QBs who have some Qs can last a couple rounds longer, but the true needy teams cant wait for that. We can.

Bewbies
03-30-2017, 03:14 PM
Which QBs in the modern era have sat for 2 or more years developing and actually became great? If a QB NEEDS 2+ years of developing before he can even hit the field then I doubt he's that good of a prospect to begin with.
Posted via Mobile Device

I wonder how many QB's flaked out because they weren't given a chance to develop?

-King-
03-30-2017, 07:05 PM

That was around the time Brett was wavering on retiring. That's why the next season he had to come out and tell the FO that he wasn't retiring and every season after that. Aaron Rodgers was not drafted to be a developmental project unlike Mahomes would be if we drafted him. They didn't draft him thinking they would need him to sit on the bench for 3 years before he was ready. Favre was the reason he was on the bench for that long.
Posted via Mobile Device

SAGA45
03-30-2017, 07:20 PM
Thompson/Packers draft QB's every year because thats how he was raised under Ron Wolf. Dorsey has done the same in KC so far. Chiefs will draft a QB this year. No waiting until 2018....when they will draft yet another.

Bewbies
03-30-2017, 07:37 PM
That was around the time Brett was wavering on retiring. That's why the next season he had to come out and tell the FO that he wasn't retiring and every season after that. Aaron Rodgers was not drafted to be a developmental project unlike Mahomes would be if we drafted him. They didn't draft him thinking they would need him to sit on the bench for 3 years before he was ready. Favre was the reason he was on the bench for that long.
Posted via Mobile Device

Why did all the teams pass on Rodgers when some thought he could go #1 overall?

kccrow
03-30-2017, 09:24 PM
Why did all the teams pass on Rodgers when some thought he could go #1 overall?

They all thought he was too much of a Tedford system QB. Lot's of scouts then talking about no QB's worthy of 1st round cuz systems and flaws. Sound like this year?

RealSNR
03-30-2017, 09:32 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

I think Tim Tebow is the kind of QB who would ACTUALLY need 3 years to totally rebuild and relearn how to play QB. As it was, he was given an offseason, and then said, "Fuck it! I'm gonna play my way! Teboooow tiiiiiiiimmee!!!"

None of these guys are as fucked up mechanically as Tim Tebow, nor are any of them as far behind in terms of learning offensive concepts of pro offense playbooks as he was. When you take a QB like Trubisky, yeah, you don't want to rush him, but it's not like he's this guy who's totally fucked up beyond repair. In fact, he's far from it. He needs good coaches and a good environment, and he'll be ready to attempt his starting career after just one season. There is perhaps no better team and no better place for him to be on than KC.

And that's just regarding Trubisky.

kcchiefsus
03-30-2017, 11:18 PM
Thompson/Packers draft QB's every year because thats how he was raised under Ron Wolf. Dorsey has done the same in KC so far. Chiefs will draft a QB this year. No waiting until 2018....when they will draft yet another.

Yeah, they'll draft another loser in the 4th or 5th round. Fuck Dorsey.

O.city
03-31-2017, 11:50 AM
https://twitter.com/RosterWatch/status/847845972340334594

Well, he may be JaMarcus but 80 yards in air is impressive whoever is doing it. Not sure it means much but it would atleast make hail Mary's interesting

The Franchise
03-31-2017, 12:12 PM

Well, he may be JaMarcus but 80 yards in air is impressive whoever is doing it. Not sure it means much but it would atleast make hail Mary's interesting

:whackit:

DJ's left nut
03-31-2017, 12:51 PM

{blows out elbow}

Because Chiefs.

-King-
03-31-2017, 04:36 PM

That's fucking ridiculous. There's also a video of him throwing 65 yards off one knee.
Posted via Mobile Device

O.city
03-31-2017, 07:16 PM
It's pretty crazy. He can def throw it.

On a side note, when I was in dental school chase Patton was a year ahead of me in school. He's a great guy and great clinician in Como now btw.

Anyway, we played flag football with the undergrads and 3 of my 4 years we lost to his team either in the finals or the semis. That dude had an unbelievable arm. He and Gabbert were the only 2 guys at mu who apparently could stand on the north goal line and throw it out of faurot.

He always torched us in flag football though. Crazy arm strength

Chief Roundup
03-31-2017, 08:12 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Steelers?src=hash">#Steelers</a> have private workout with Patrick Mahomes this week.</p>&mdash; RosterWatch (@RosterWatch) <a href="https://twitter.com/RosterWatch/status/847846892235051012">March 31, 2017</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Yes, we have confirmed this- first person over to meet Mahomes family after the workout <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Steelers?src=hash">#Steelers</a> <a href="https://t.co/7S3m4g87CI">https://t.co/7S3m4g87CI</a></p>&mdash; RosterWatch (@RosterWatch) <a href="https://twitter.com/RosterWatch/status/847847389260111872">March 31, 2017</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

kcchiefsus
03-31-2017, 10:30 PM
Anyone who think the Chiefs are going to successfully come out of the draft with a legitimate prospect at QB are is fooling themselves.

-King-
04-01-2017, 05:47 AM
Anyone who think the Chiefs are going to successfully come out of the draft with a legitimate prospect at QB are is fooling themselves.

Cool story bro. Tell it again for the 50th time.
Posted via Mobile Device

O.city
04-01-2017, 07:02 AM
I think mahomes goes top 10

Urc Burry
04-01-2017, 07:18 AM
I think mahomes goes top 10

At the end of his pro day he wanted to show teams how far he could throw. 78 yards.. I don't know about top 10, but I think it would take a trade up to get him

milkman
04-01-2017, 08:24 AM
Posted via Mobile Device

How many top QB picks have busted?

I believe, strongly, that a good number of those busts have busted because they were thrown out there far too early.

I believe that Aaron Rodgers is the only Tedford QB to have success specifically because he was the only one that didn't get thrown out too early.

O.city
04-01-2017, 08:34 AM
People forget that with Rogers, they had to revamp and redo his throwing motion. That wasn't easy.

Coogs
04-01-2017, 08:55 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/red-zone/article141237483.html

In this article, Reid mentions he wished he would have had Smith as a rookie. Makes you wonder if he would have not played him early, as Smith's biggest weakness is phantom pressure forcing him to take his eyes off of his receivers and giving up on plays way too early. With a year or two on the bench, Smith may not have had this issue, but he does and it appears to be a flaw he will never be able to correct.

kcchiefsus
04-01-2017, 09:06 AM
It's funny watching teams like the Giants and the Steelers seriously consider heirs for their current championship quarterbacks. It's amazing how top teams know the importance of having a plan at QB is so important. On the other hand you have the Chiefs who have never had shit at quarterback and STILL think they can ignore the position.

Coogs
04-01-2017, 09:12 AM
It's funny watching teams like the Giants and the Steelers seriously consider heirs for their current championship quarterbacks. It's amazing how top teams know the importance of having a plan at QB is so important. On the other hand you have the Chiefs who have never had shit at quarterback and STILL think they can ignore the position.

Draft is still 4 weeks away. The free agent visits and signings lead me to think we are looking QB early this year. By early, I talking one of the top 4.

chiefscafan
04-01-2017, 09:43 AM
Man I hope you are right because after the top 4 I'm not a fan of any of the other QBs

Coogs
04-01-2017, 09:50 AM
Me either. In fact, if we don't get one of the top 4, I hope we don't even draft one. Seems like it would be a waste of a pick, just like our last 2 or three attempts have been.

kcchiefsus
04-01-2017, 09:56 AM
Me either. In fact, if we don't get one of the top 4, I hope we don't even draft one. Seems like it would be a waste of a pick, just like our last 2 or three attempts have been.

Yep. Either make a serious attempt at it or don't even bother. Wasting picks on losers like Hogan and Murray just ends up hurting us by giving up the chance to draft real depth at another position.

RealSNR
04-01-2017, 01:38 PM
Yep. Either make a serious attempt at it or don't even bother. Wasting picks on losers like Hogan and Murray just ends up hurting us by giving up the chance to draft real depth at another position.

I don't think Murray was a waste. There are always going to be guys who occasionally fall and end up being great. It was totally worth a 5th round pick to investigate whether or not Murray could take what he did in college into the NFL.

The problem is you can't RELY on those lottery picks and be content with the crap you have. We've been nibbling around the edges of our QB problem, only ever investing low draft stock, hoping to "upgrade" our backups and QB depth (and realistically, we've been pretty fucking unsuccessful at that, opting for Chase fucking Daniel and Nick Foles for years instead of the guys we buy low on).

It's why I do agree with you about later round picks this year and the next. So help me if I see us invest in Nate Peterman so he can "compete with backups," I'm going to put a goddamn ax through my wall

chiefscafan
04-03-2017, 07:18 AM
RealSNR

Couldn't agree with you more if they try to sell me on Webb, Dobson, Petterman or Kaya I think I'm gonna throw up. Welcome to Hogan, Muarry, Elkins, Blundin, etc all over again.

BossChief
04-03-2017, 09:22 AM
Holy shit.

They just showed a throw from his proday...

Mahomes threw it 80 yards and dropped it right into the hands of his WR in the endzone.

Lots of reports that his proday was very very good

The Franchise
04-03-2017, 09:25 AM
Holy shit.

They just showed a throw from his proday...

Mahomes threw it 80 yards and dropped it right into the hands of his WR in the endzone.

Lots of reports that his proday was very very good

Post #117

Dayze
04-03-2017, 09:43 AM
yeah, but how is his 5 yard outlet pass from his own 30 with 00:08 seconds to go in the 4th down by 4?

KChiefs1
04-03-2017, 10:14 AM

http://lubbockonline.com/sports-red-raiders/sports/news/2017-03-31/mahomes-impresses-texas-tech-s-pro-day

DJ's left nut
04-03-2017, 11:50 AM
RealSNR

Couldn't agree with you more if they try to sell me on Webb, Dobson, Petterman or Kaya I think I'm gonna throw up. Welcome to Hogan, Muarry, Elkins, Blundin, etc all over again.

Peterman in the 4th as a cheap backup option w/ the ability to keep our heads above water would be okay. Kaaya in the 5th would be as well. Both of those guys are just steady, dependable, but perhaps limited players that would serve well as backups with the upside of slightly below average game managers.

Look at how much money we've invested into QB2 over the last 4 years and tell me that's not important.

That said, it ain't a long-term plan for QBOTF. And if they can get someone like Peterman or Kaaya late, I'd be okay with that. If they take someone like that with a day 2 pick, OTOH, I'll have kittens because it means that they are investing heavily into a very mediocre player that they think will be good enough.

The Franchise
04-03-2017, 11:54 AM
they are investing heavily into a very mediocre player that they think will be good enough.

You mean like they've already done with Smith?

staylor26
04-03-2017, 12:02 PM
I still think Kaaya is being underrated in terms of upside. The guy is only 21 years old, and played behind some god awful Olines.

rico
04-03-2017, 12:07 PM
yeah, but how is his 5 yard outlet pass from his own 30 with 00:08 seconds to go in the 4th down by 4?

ROFL

DJ's left nut
04-03-2017, 07:08 PM
I still think Kaaya is being underrated in terms of upside. The guy is only 21 years old, and played behind some god awful Olines.

^^ ---- Homer.

staylor26
04-03-2017, 07:12 PM
^^ ---- Homer.

Lol I have absolutely no reason for loyalty to him anymore. I couldn't care less about him being a Hurricane now.

RealSNR
04-04-2017, 01:37 PM

Isn't he some kind of meat head?

DJ's left nut
04-04-2017, 01:38 PM
Isn't he some kind of meat head?

Racist.

RealSNR
04-04-2017, 01:41 PM
Racist.

I will fully admit to being racist towards white RBs and safeties.

Oh, and black kickers. Justin Medlock doomed his race for me a long time ago. Fuck those guys.

buddha
04-04-2017, 03:43 PM
Then we take Kizer.

Andy Reid likes smart/accurate QBs above all. Kizer and Mahomes are physical freaks, but neither is "accurate" in the way KC's offense requires. I know the combine isn't a true test for QB skills, but Kizer couldn't hit anybody in stride. Mahomes has a GREAT arm, but he is going to need a lot of work.

I think the only QB that really makes sense for KC's scheme is Watson (and he's not Mr. Accuracy either...but better than others). Yes...we would have to move up to get him, but he's a proven winner and he's stays composed under pressure.

raybec 4
04-04-2017, 03:45 PM
Andy Reid likes smart/accurate QBs above all. Kizer and Mahomes are physical freaks, but neither is "accurate" in the way KC's offense requires. I know the combine isn't a true test for QB skills, but Kizer couldn't hit anybody in stride. Mahomes has a GREAT arm, but he is going to need a lot of work.

I think the only QB that really makes sense for KC's scheme is Watson (and he's not Mr. Accuracy either...but better than others). Yes...we would have to move up to get him, but he's a proven winner and he's stays composed under pressure.

Man, I couldn't disagree more. Watson is the biggest risk in the group IMO based on arm talent alone. Kizer and Mahomes can fix their mechanics and footwork, Watson's arm isn't going to get better as he ages.

DJ's left nut
04-04-2017, 03:51 PM

{facepalm}

"HE'S A WINNER!" strikes again.

I repeat - 'winners' are a myth. Great NFL QBs come from shit programs in college all the time and virtually all QBs from great programs tend to suck in the pros.

There is absolutely no correlation at all between winning percentage in college and NFL success and frankly, if I were going to bet, I'd say any degree of statistically significant figure would point to an inverse relationship.

buddha
04-04-2017, 04:03 PM
{facepalm}

"HE'S A WINNER!" strikes again.

I repeat - 'winners' are a myth. Great NFL QBs come from shit programs in college all the time and virtually all QBs from great programs tend to suck in the pros.

There is absolutely no correlation at all between winning percentage in college and NFL success and frankly, if I were going to bet, I'd say any degree of statistically significant figure would point to an inverse relationship.

Better to land those highly coveted KU QBs who never win based on your new inverse relationship law.

The draft is a massive crap shoot and we have two very good examples of Watson playing well against the closest thing to an NFL defense in college. What about him DON'T you like...let's start there.

buddha
04-04-2017, 04:07 PM
Man, I couldn't disagree more. Watson is the biggest risk in the group IMO based on arm talent alone. Kizer and Mahomes can fix their mechanics and footwork, Watson's arm isn't going to get better as he ages.

There are *some* examples of QBs who fixed their mechanics when they got to the NFL, but they are the exception. I like Kizer's size and arm strength, but he's over valued (likely due to the ND factor). Mahomes is really interesting to me...the ball explodes out of his hand.

Watson doesn't have elite arm strength, but I think his arm talent is above average. I think the other things that matter for QBs (leadership, smarts, vision, etc.) are very high with Watson.

DJ's left nut
04-04-2017, 04:07 PM
Better to land those highly coveted KU QBs who never win based on your new inverse relationship law.

The draft is a massive crap shoot and we have two very good examples of Watson playing well against the closest thing to an NFL defense in college. What about him DON'T you like...let's start there.

Bad feet, inconsistent upper half, below average arm strength and no experience in an advanced passing offense.

The guy is a faster Graham Harrell.

DJ's left nut
04-04-2017, 04:10 PM
There are *some* examples of QBs who fixed their mechanics when they got to the NFL, but they are the exception. I like Kizer's size and arm strength, but he's over valued (likely due to the ND factor). Mahomes is really interesting to me...the ball explodes out of his hand.

Watson doesn't have elite arm strength, but I think his arm talent is above average. I think the other things that matter for QBs (leadership, smarts, vision, etc.) are very high with Watson.

No, his arm talent isn't above average. It's not even above average in a below average class. It is, at best, average. Moreover, I don't know how you can say his vision is good one way or the other. Personally I've not seen anything to suggest it is but I'm putting that under 'inexperience' rather than a statement that he doesn't have good vision.

I won't state that he DOESN'T have good vision but I don't see any way you can categorically state that he does.

buddha
04-04-2017, 04:16 PM
No, his arm talent isn't above average. It's not even above average in a below average class. It is, at best, average. Moreover, I don't know how you can say his vision is good one way or the other. Personally I've not seen anything to suggest it is but I'm putting that under 'inexperience' rather than a statement that he doesn't have good vision.

I won't state that he DOESN'T have good vision but I don't see any way you can categorically state that he does.

Just like you can't categorically state that Kizer or Mahomes can fix their mechanics and feet. Tim Tebow (your comparison guy) says HI. There are too many guys who can't do what Aaron Rogers did. He was the exception to the rule.

I'm not sold on ANY quarterback in this draft, to be honest. Every one of them has warts or is so inexperienced...who can know what they could realistically become?

DJ's left nut
04-04-2017, 04:24 PM
Just like you can't categorically state that Kizer or Mahomes can fix their mechanics and feet. Tim Tebow (your comparison guy) says HI. There are too many guys who can't do what Aaron Rogers did. He was the exception to the rule.

I'm not sold on ANY quarterback in this draft, to be honest. Every one of them has warts or is so inexperienced...who can know what they could realistically become?

Like I've said before - any QB we get is going to have warts; it's the drawback of being led by competent people. We're never going to be drafting top 3, or at least not for the foreseeable future.

But in a 'wart-off', gimme the guy with the physical tools to excel. Because if I can coach every flaw out of Mahomes or Kizer, I get Rodgers or Roethlisberger for my troubles. If I coach them out of Watson, I get Alex Smith.

RealSNR
04-04-2017, 07:10 PM

Great. I'll take the QBs who don't win shit in college and you can have all the Ken Dorseys, Tim Tebows, and AJ McCarrons. Sound like a good deal?

BossChief
04-04-2017, 07:27 PM
I'd be just fine if KC takes Watson.

Maybe he would be our Dak Prescott or Russel Wilson.

KChiefs1
04-27-2017, 08:53 PM
I guess they liked him too.