PDA

View Full Version : Football Dwight Clark diagnosed with ALS

raybec 4
03-20-2017, 03:12 PM
Former 49er who made "The Catch" tweeted he has ALS

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2017/03/20/dwight-clark-als-catch-49ers-nfl-peter-king

Mr. Laz
03-20-2017, 04:07 PM
Here comes another lawsuit, because everything is the NFL's fault.

raybec 4
03-20-2017, 04:22 PM
ALS is a worst nightmare scenario for me. Good Lord what a terrible way to go.

Gadzooks
03-20-2017, 05:06 PM
If I was diagnosed with ALS, I would start using heroin. I've heard it's really good.

Skyy God
03-20-2017, 05:51 PM
Here comes another lawsuit, because everything is the NFL's fault.

Sticking up for the billionaires, eh?

Chiefshrink
03-20-2017, 06:03 PM

When have you gotten a job from a poor person??

Mr. Laz
03-20-2017, 06:20 PM
Just know money-grabbing bullshit when i see it.

Everything is fine while the player still has the million they made from playing football. As soon as the money is gone, the lawsuits begin.

Skyy God
03-20-2017, 08:35 PM
When have you gotten a job from a poor person??

Jesus was certainly fond of them, you prosperity gospel POS.

Skyy God
03-20-2017, 08:39 PM
Just know money-grabbing bullshit when i see it.

Everything is fine while the player still has the million they made from playing football. As soon as the money is gone, the lawsuits begin.

God forbid someone capitalize on the veritable bonanza a life spent with ALS entails.....

dlphg9
03-20-2017, 09:41 PM
I don't think football causes ALS.

Rain Man
03-20-2017, 10:00 PM

Maybe it's not just football, but professional sports in general. Lou Gehrig and now this, just 70 years later? That can't be a coincidence.

Good luck to the guy, though. That's a terrible disease.

dlphg9
03-20-2017, 10:35 PM
Maybe it's not just football, but professional sports in general. Lou Gehrig and now this, just 70 years later? That can't be a coincidence.

Good luck to the guy, though. That's a terrible disease.

70 years and two different guys get it who both played professional sports, you're right. There is no possible way it's a coincidence lol

ptlyon
03-21-2017, 07:10 AM
ALS is a worst nightmare scenario for me. Good Lord what a terrible way to go.

That ain't no shit man

Dayze
03-21-2017, 08:29 AM
Unfortunately, everytime I hear ALS, I think of a bit Dennis Leary did about it.

Lou died of a disease name after him, how did he now see that coming. "Lou, buddy, there's a disease with your name ALL over it pal"....

Skyy God
03-21-2017, 10:36 AM

No one cares what you think. Science suggests otherwise.

Likewise, worldwide epidemiological studies have registered a six times greater likelihood for ALS in former soccer players, hockey players and rugby players.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/lifestyles/health/boomer-health-head-trauma-causing-als-athletes/D2d8h4vTTx9IiLDc3LnxJK/

RobBlake
03-21-2017, 02:26 PM

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/lifestyles/health/boomer-health-head-trauma-causing-als-athletes/D2d8h4vTTx9IiLDc3LnxJK/

veterans are more likely i heard.

Skyy God
03-21-2017, 02:43 PM
veterans are more likely i heard.

Only 2x as likely.

http://www.alsa.org/about-als/aam-2014/learn-about-als/military-veterans.html

BlackHelicopters
03-21-2017, 06:42 PM
This news is depressing.

dlphg9
03-22-2017, 08:16 AM

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/lifestyles/health/boomer-health-head-trauma-causing-als-athletes/D2d8h4vttx9iildc3lnxjk/

Did you even read the article dipshit or did you go and find a quote to try to prove me wrong? The article clearly states the increase in ALS diagnosis in sports players is because of CTE, which mimics ALS. Next time read the article genius.

Skyy God
03-22-2017, 10:41 AM
Did you even read the article dipshit or did you go and find a quote to try to prove me wrong? The article clearly states the increase in ALS diagnosis in sports players is because of CTE, which mimics ALS. Next time read the article genius.

Whether a former player's debilitating neurological condition is due to ALS or CTE is the very definition of a distinction without a difference, ****wad.

Your "point" was football doesn't cause ALS. While certainly correlation doesn't always equal causation, the 6-8x prevalence of ALS in former football players suggests otherwise.

dlphg9
03-22-2017, 11:02 AM
Whether a former player's debilitating neurological condition is due to ALS or CTE is the very definition of a distinction without a difference, ****wad.

Your "point" was football doesn't cause ALS. While certainly correlation doesn't always equal causation, the 6-8x prevalence of ALS in former football players suggests otherwise.

I said I don't think football causes ALS, which is the case. Next you google does football cause ALS and find an article that you read only the first couple paragraphs. You then take a sentence out of that article, without reading the whole thing, and try to prove me wrong. Then you try to say ALS is the same as CTE and youre wrong again.

From your own article you posted;
"Why the increased risk?"

"Because, suggest leading brain researchers, what they’re being diagnosed with mimics ALS — but is a different disorder: one that stems from repetitive brain trauma."

raybec 4
03-22-2017, 11:02 AM
This news is depressing.

It really is, it's sad to see people who I looked up to as a teenager be brought down hard by these types of debilitating health issues.

Also, I had no clue veterans were 2x more likely to have ALS than non-vets. That is worrisome.

SBInfinity
03-22-2017, 03:17 PM
I thought ALS was linked to genetics or a chromosome issue. Some sort of defect. Maybe there is different types.

One thing I never understood is that most people die a few years after diagnosis. But Stephen Hawking has lived with it for 50 years.

raybec 4
03-22-2017, 03:21 PM
I thought ALS was linked to genetics or a chromosome issue. Some sort of defect. Maybe there is different types.

One thing I never understood is that most people die a few years after diagnosis. But Stephen Hawking has lived with it for 50 years.

Towards the end of the persons ability to breath on their own they are given the option of having a permanent breathing apparatus or just dying. Over 90% choose to just die.

SBInfinity
03-22-2017, 03:25 PM
Towards the end of the persons ability to breath on their own they are given the option of having a permanent breathing apparatus or just dying. Over 90% choose to just die.

That doesn't explain Stephen Hawking living for 50 years.
I did a quick check and I saw a reference that he had a slow-progressing type. I just never heard of anyone surviving anywhere near that long.