PDA

View Full Version : Mock (3/23)

Direckshun
03-23-2017, 02:10 PM
Assumptions:

1. GM John Dorsey and HC Andy Reid are extended through 2021. QB Alex Smith is retained.

2. ILB Derrick Johnson will return mid-2017 season like Justin Houston did this season mid-2016.

3. The Chiefs sign RB Denard Robinson (Jaguars) for 1 year, $2m.

4. The Chiefs sign Terrance Mitchell to an extension halfway through the season.

On with the show:

1.27. OLB Takkarist McKinley, UCLA

The Chiefs have legitimate holes at three parts of their roster -- everything else they could just use some additional talent. Those three holes are at (1.) QBotF/backup QB, (2.) RB, and (3.) LB.

As far as QB is concerned, three have been chosen in this hypothetical: Tribusky, Watson, and Kizer. Mahomes is on the docket for the Chiefs, but they have somebody else they really want at the position. Fans will rebel over passing on QB in the first round yet again, but the Chiefs covet another player and Andy Reid's track record is to be trusted.

The Chiefs also don't want to go RB in the first round -- under Dorsey, they never do. Cook, Fournette, and McCaffrey are all off the board anyway. The next guy they have on their board there is Kamara anyway, and he's not a 1st round talent.

Instead, the Chiefs realize they need to get better at both ILB and OLB. Derrick Johnson will return eventually, but he may be done. Tamba already is done. Houston is a walking red flag these days. So depth and potential starting talent is needed.

McKinley is an off-the-charts athlete, one of the most athletic kids in this draft with an outstanding, relentless motor. His only weakness -- and I mean his only weakness -- is a lack of strength, which will be fixed in a season of NFL conditioning. I'd like to see more moves from him too, but he's already got a few really good ones and he'll have two of the best in Hali and Houston to help.

Get ready for crazy amoeba formations with these guys:

http://chiefsplanet.com/BB/picture.php?albumid=160&pictureid=1832

2.59. QB Nathan Peterman, Pittsburgh

The Chiefs value a lot of things with their QBs, but few as much as their ability to minimize mistakes. Peterman is a very smart, very cautious QB with a little more arm than Alex Smith and is waaaaay more willing to throw the ball down the field. Peterman plays in a pro-style scheme and can handle pressure as well as any QB in this draft class.

The Chiefs may very well trade up for this guy.

3.97. WR Taywan Taylor, Western Kentucky

This kid is an electric playmaker that can get open very quickly. The Chiefs use the draft for long-term talent development, and see developmental talent here. While Maclin, Conley, and Hill swallow up all the WR targets in 2017, Taylor develops in the background.

3.104. TE Adam Shaheen, Ashland

The Chiefs love really big, physical tight ends with good athleticism. Shaheen looks like a perfect fit in Kansas City, falling really only because he comes from a Division II school. The Chiefs are in the hunt for a #2 TE, and while Harris, O'Shaughnessy, and Travis are all decent #2's, none of them have #1 ability. Shaheen could become a good starter in the NFL, and form an excellent tandem with Kelce.

4.132. OT/G/C J.J. Dielman, Utah

Checks all the boxes. Can play anywhere but left tackle. Is a powerful interior blocker. Is nimble and can get out in space.

The Chiefs are facing the departure of Zach Fulton after this season, so they need a versatile interior lineman who can fill that role.

5.170. RB Jamaal Williams, Brigham Young

Kind of a double whammy from the Mormon lands, in honor of our friend Saccopoo.

I loved this kid at the Combine. Seemed fluid, able to be a player in the passing game, and has plenty of power to his game as well. I love that he's so fundamentally sound. I think he could evolve into a 800-yard rusher in the Chiefs offense, spelling Spencer Ware all year.

5.180. ILB Ben Gideon, Michigan

A strong, physical linebacker with starter upside.

6.216. QB Joshua Dobbs, Tennessee

The Chiefs are making the biggest investment to the QB position in my lifetime. Dobbs can battle Bray for the final spot on the roster. And oddly enough, he may be able to push Peterman -- Dobbs beat out Peterman at Tennessee.

6.218. ILB Dylan Cole, Missouri State

Picking a local kid -- this kid had insane numbers at the MSU Pro Day, and the Chiefs were in attendance.

7.245. CB Brendan Langley, Lamar

This kid stood out at the Senior Bowl. Oddly enough, the play that stands out to me was when he gave up a touchdown. He was destroyed on the play, but exhibited elite recovery speed. At 6'0", let's take a shot.

Direckshun
03-23-2017, 02:13 PM
QB: Smith, Peterman, Bray vs. Dobbs
RB: Ware, Robinson, West, Williams
FB: Shermna

WR: Maclin, Hill, Conley, Wilson, Taylor, Thomas
TE: Kelce, Harris, Shaheen, O'Shaughnessy

LT: Fisher, Schwartz
LG: Ehinger, Fulton
C: Morse, Fulton
RG: Duvarney-Tardif, Dielman
RT: Schwartz, Reid

DE: Jones, Howard, Jenkins
NT: Logan, Howard, Barnes
DE: Bailey, Nunez-Roches

OLB: Ford, Hali
ILB: March, Gideon
ILB: Wilson, Alexander, Cole, Johnson (PUP)
OLB: Houston, McKinley

CB: Peters, Mitchell, Nelson, Gaines, White, Langley
S: Berry, Parker, Sorensen, Murray

K: Santos
P: Colquitt
LS: Winchester

Sandy Vagina
03-23-2017, 04:41 PM
Does not disappoint. I'd be pretty content with this haul of rookies, as well as the aforementioned decisions. :thumb:

kccrow
03-23-2017, 10:35 PM
I can see the first couple rounds playing out this way for KC, especially if they don't make a move for Mahomes.

I will say one thing, if the best KC can do at ILB is to start with Ben Fucking Gedeon in the bottom of the 5th round, I'm going to be really pissed off.

I'd be surprised if KC doesn't draft at least one defensive lineman given Logan, Howard, and Jenkins are all on one year deals at this point.

BryanBusby
03-23-2017, 10:59 PM
Why would they feel compelled to move up for Peterman? He's a round too early in your mock.

There are better options than McKinley to replace Tamba, the actual goal. Dee Ford isn't going to be that guy.

Not a fan of Taylor, not sure why they can't find a suitable depth TE later in a deep class and why are we drafting for depth in the 4th when starters can be found there in this draft?

5th round seems like good range to find that TE and add another RB to the stable. Use one of those earlier choices for.a starting quality ILB.

MotherfuckerJones
03-24-2017, 04:42 AM
:facepalm:

BryanBusby
03-24-2017, 03:54 PM
On the flipside, the mspaint playbook was tight.

RunKC
03-24-2017, 04:07 PM
Why would they feel compelled to move up for Peterman? He's a round too early in your mock.

There are better options than McKinley to replace Tamba, the actual goal. Dee Ford isn't going to be that guy.

Not a fan of Taylor, not sure why they can't find a suitable depth TE later in a deep class and why are we drafting for depth in the 4th when starters can be found there in this draft?

5th round seems like good range to find that TE and add another RB to the stable. Use one of those earlier choices for.a starting quality ILB.

Peterman is getting mid 2nd rd pub right now

BryanBusby
03-24-2017, 04:52 PM
Peterman is getting mid 2nd rd pub right now
It's month before draft overhype. He's going to be a 3rd rounder.

Limited upside, just okay'ish arm, not really athletic.

Here's how I see it right now.

Round 1:
Trubisky, Mahomes

Round 2:
Kizer, Watson
(One of these two will go 1st if the Chiefs actually take a QB and Mahomes is gone before that pick. I don't buy the Chiefs doing it. All evidence points to Chiefs actually doing it, but been down the road too fucking much...will believe it when I see it)

Round 3:
Webb, Peterman

Round 4:
Kaaya

Rest:
who gives a fuck

MahiMike
03-26-2017, 03:16 PM
meh