PDA

View Full Version : Life Seattle

JimNasium
03-25-2017, 02:22 PM
I'm headed to Seattle soon and I'm looking for some travel advice as I've never been to the Pacific Northwest.. I'm not much on touristy sorts of things so not really interested in the Space Needle. I prefer to hang out where the locals do. Me and the Mrs. are foodies, like a good craft beer and love live music. Whatcha got?

Hog's Gone Fishin
03-25-2017, 02:43 PM
Just make sure your semen is kept in a cooler between 55 and 63 degrees at all times and try to stir it twice daily.

frozenchief
03-25-2017, 03:11 PM
Pike place brewery has a good selection of beers. Von's gastropub on first has a great booze selection. Best craft cocktail bar is Cannon, which is a bit east of downtown. Any of Tom Douglas' restaurants are really good. I tend to Serious Pie or Lola. Walrus and Carpenter in Ballard is a great seafood restaurant. Elliott's on the waterfront has a great oyster selection and is near the aquarium, which is well worth it.

Fine dining? I'd try Crush or Lark. I've really enjoyed those.

If you're there for a few days, see if you can go about an hour north of the city to Whidbey Island. Stay at The Inn at Langley. Reminds me a bit of wine country. Quiet and off the beaten track with good food.

If I think of more, I'll post again, but that's what comes to mind. Seattle is a great eating town. If you like sushi, there are lots of places. I like Japonessa downtown.

FlaChief58
03-25-2017, 03:19 PM
#mickdodge

You're welcome

Easy 6
03-25-2017, 04:08 PM
#mickdodge

You're welcome

Be sure to buy some of his famous Mountain Berry Toe Jam!

GloucesterChief
03-25-2017, 04:11 PM
Buy a case of these to bring home:

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0253/1011/products/42_oz_AR_can_large.jpg?v=1380578298

or at least a few canisters.

Bugeater
03-25-2017, 05:06 PM
It's a horrible city. Congested, expensive, fucking homeless people everywhere, never stops raining. Go somewhere else.

Frazod
03-25-2017, 05:56 PM
It's a horrible city. Congested, expensive, fucking homeless people everywhere, never stops raining. Go somewhere else.

I didn't want to be the first person to say it, but yeah, Seattle is pretty nasty. I'd add filthy and blighted to the mix, and that was in the heart of the downtown area. And as far as the famous fish market goes, to me it just smelled like dead fish (although admittedly it would probably be better early in the day, as opposed to just before closing).

Plus, the one true positive highlight of our brief stay was a wonderful restaurant called the Icon Grill, which had excellent service, was beautifully decorated and offered perhaps the most delicious pasta dish I've ever eaten in my life. It closed earlier in the year because the building it was in has been condemned.

I like Chicago much more than Seattle, and I hate Chicago.

There was some lovely scenery off in the distance, though.

We also visited Victoria, British Columbia, which sort of reminded me of Seattle, except it was clean and pretty, and we weren't constantly surrounded by rude, smelly bums and hipsters.

scho63
03-25-2017, 06:04 PM
Nashville, DC and now Seattle?

This board is turning into a regular Zagat's or Fodor's Travel Guide

Coochie liquor
03-25-2017, 06:14 PM
Just sample the legal herbs.

Bugeater
03-25-2017, 06:52 PM
I didn't want to be the first person to say it, but yeah, Seattle is pretty nasty. I'd add filthy and blighted to the mix, and that was in the heart of the downtown area. And as far as the famous fish market goes, to me it just smelled like dead fish (although admittedly it would probably be better early in the day, as opposed to just before closing).

Plus, the one true positive highlight of our brief stay was a wonderful restaurant called the Icon Grill, which had excellent service, was beautifully decorated and offered perhaps the most delicious pasta dish I've ever eaten in my life. It closed earlier in the year because the building it was in has been condemned.

We also visited Victoria, British Columbia, which sort of reminded me of Seattle, except it was clean and pretty, and we weren't constantly surrounded by rude, smelly bums and hipsters.
Yeah, if you get out of the city there are cool places to visit, and I'm sure it has its hidden gems, but I've been there twice now and both times left feeling like there was no reason to hurry back.

Bewbies
03-25-2017, 09:01 PM
Drive up to Anacortes and take the ferry to the San Juan Islands. Amazing, amazing place.

We went up to Seattle, San Juan Island, Vancouver and Whistler last year and easily I'd tell everyone on that itinerary to avoid the cities and head to the islands and the mountains. So so beautiful.

I'm actually planning on moving up there in the next few years I loved it so much.

HonestChieffan
03-25-2017, 09:19 PM
Great place to bum spot. No problem seeing some junkies and street pissers even in mid afternoon. Its like SanFran with no sewers.

Drive 30 miles in any direction and its awesome beautiful country with superb seafood and wine. Nice people.

JimNasium
03-26-2017, 08:29 AM

Meh, I'm going for work. I'll make the best of it. Thanks for your helpful response.:shake::D

JimNasium
03-26-2017, 08:30 AM
Drive up to Anacortes and take the ferry to the San Juan Islands. Amazing, amazing place.

We went up to Seattle, San Juan Island, Vancouver and Whistler last year and easily I'd tell everyone on that itinerary to avoid the cities and head to the islands and the mountains. So so beautiful.

I'm actually planning on moving up there in the next few years I loved it so much.

Thanks. This is the sort of advice I was hoping for.

rtmike
03-26-2017, 11:35 AM
It rains all the time. This year's been the worst since I moved here in'92.
Why can't it be green without all the rain?

Everybody's grumpy. I agree with the other posters opinions about it sucking. I would suggest to avoid coming up here to whoever might be thinking about. It'd be a waste of your time.

MagicHef
03-26-2017, 11:45 AM
If you have time, go to the San Juan Islands or Bainbridge Island (ferry leaves from Seattle).

We had an abnormally wet and grey winter (which is saying something), so we should have a very green spring.

chiefsfan987
03-26-2017, 11:58 AM
This is the worst time of the year to visit Seattle imo. Cold and wet pretty much every day. I feel like I've only seen the sun a couple days in the last few weeks. Traffic sucks ass. It's great in summer though.

MagicHef
03-26-2017, 12:09 PM
This is the worst time of the year to visit Seattle imo. Cold and wet pretty much every day. I feel like I've only seen the sun a couple days in the last few weeks. Traffic sucks ass. It's great in summer though.

There was a report recently that we had 3 mild sunny days since the end of September. I think we've had one or two since then.

MahiMike
03-26-2017, 01:13 PM

Say whu? My experience could not have been more different. Maybe because I got lucky w/the weather. 80 and blue sky every day. Went wild camping, did some hiking, went up in the needle, saw the fish market.

I loved Seattle. Found it to be very cosmopolitan.

Frazod
03-26-2017, 01:33 PM
Say whu? My experience could not have been more different. Maybe because I got lucky w/the weather. 80 and blue sky every day. Went wild camping, did some hiking, went up in the needle, saw the fish market.

I loved Seattle. Found it to be very cosmopolitan.

As I said, my stay was brief. It was the embarkation point for our Alaska cruise. We wandered around the downtown area in late afternoon and left the next day. When we were walking around in the afternoon it wasn't raining and the sky was clear (although it was raining the next day). I'm sure if we'd had a chance to get out of the heart of the city things would have been better; that's always the case. But my assessment of the area I was in is accurate. I work in the Chicago Loop, and compared to downtown Seattle, the Chicago Loop is far cleaner, the buildings and streets are in much better condition, and while there are bums on the streets there, as is the case in any major city, they are far less numerous, confrontational and annoying in Chicago.

Bugeater
03-26-2017, 03:29 PM
Meh, I'm going for work. I'll make the best of it. Thanks for your helpful response.:shake::D
Better just find a different job.

Bugeater
03-26-2017, 03:30 PM
There was a report recently that we had 3 mild sunny days since the end of September. I think we've had one or two since then.
Didn't you use to live in CO? And if so, why did you leave there for Seattle?

iSavedLatin
03-26-2017, 03:32 PM
How long will you be in Seattle and where are you staying? Will you have a car or be relying on public transit? Answering a few questions would help a bit, but I can give you a little overview I guess.

Pike Place is a great market. I know it's a tourist trap, but it's definitely worth checking out. Just south of there is Pioneer Square where you'll find lots of homeless people, but it's because a lot of public service centers are there. It's a really cool, gritty area. You can sign up for an underground tour there, which is fun to do. That whole portion of the city is located about 1-2 stories above the old Seattle that burned down. You can hop the water taxi to West Seattle and dine at Salty's (amazing views, so-so food) or Marination (fun Hawaiian spot right on the water taxi dock) for the best views of the city. West Seattle also has a great drag called California Ave. and Seattle's only real beach, Alki.

North of the market is Belltown. It's kind of a tragically hip area with loads of pubs and restaurants. Vietnamese Green Leaf is located there and pretty yummy and so is Crocodile, a popular music venue. Sushi Kushiba in the market is amazing. You may be able to see a show at the Moore Theater. Keep heading north just past the Space Needle and you'll land in Queen Anne. My favorite brunch place, Toulouse Petite, is here. Deeeelicioius.

If you can get to neighborhoods like Ballard and Fremont, then do it. They have walkable downtown areas of their own and lots of great restaurants (someone mentioned Walrus and the Carpenter in Ballard). You could grab a drink and hit up the OBAMA (Official Bad Art Museum of Art). The international district to the south has lots of asian, Indian, and ethiopian cuisine. Farther south along the light rail line is Columbia City with a great little downtown area and is home to Geraldine's and James Beard Award winning Columbia City Bakery.

Capital Hill is just east of downtown and is a lot like the Mission District in SF. It's weird, eclectic, and busy at all hours. There's something to do there on almost every street corner. It's kind of the heart of Seattle's hip scene.

Woodinville is not too terribly far by car (about 30-40 minutes) and has Red Hook Brewery, Ancestry Wines, Chateau Ste. Michelle, etc.

There's lots to do and the scenery is amazing. Yes, we have homeless people and the sky is grey this time of year. So what? I was born in SoCal, grew up in SF, and lived in KC for a time. Seattle is a great place for us now, but I'm sure I'll get back to California before it's all said and done. For those of you poo-pooing all over Seattle, please keep it up. Loads of folks are flocking here and it's getting pretty crowded. It'd be great if your negative outlook could keep more wet blankets like yourselves away from our little hamlet.

MagicHef
03-26-2017, 04:20 PM
Didn't you use to live in CO? And if so, why did you leave there for Seattle?

Denver/Fort Collins for 28 years, Houston for 2 years, and now Seattle for 3 years. All the moves have been job related.

I've heard a number of people here use the "keep talking about the rain, it will make it less crowded for me" line. Oddly, they've all moved elsewhere, like iSavedLatin is planning to do.

It's pretty spectacular around here during summer, but the other 9 months can be really rough.

Bugeater
03-26-2017, 04:35 PM
Denver/Fort Collins for 28 years, Houston for 2 years, and now Seattle for 3 years. All the moves have been job related.

I've heard a number of people here use the "keep talking about the rain, it will make it less crowded for me" line. Oddly, they've all moved elsewhere, like iSavedLatin is planning to do.

It's pretty spectacular around here during summer, but the other 9 months can be really rough.You need to find a different job too. :)

If I'm ever fortunate enough to be able to move to Colorado, the only way they'll get me out is in a coffin.

As far as Seattle's weather, well it sucks here most of the time as well so I'm probably a bit out of line for criticizing that. But if I'm going to live somewhere crowded and expensive, I'd just as soon move to SoCal where at least I'd have good weather.

rtmike
03-27-2017, 07:09 PM

We're about 150 miles south. My neighbor told me we've had something like 8 full days of sun since October.

By far the wettest since we've lived here.
I know my front yard is green alright, green with moss, lol.

I was back home in Hays, Ks. over the holidays and it was week or two before Christmas and the one morning it was -16. That was air temp, don't know what the wind chill was, I just woke and checked my phone since it seemed like the heater was running non stop.

Don't know how I was able to work outside in the elements when I used to move those oil drilling rigs back there when the oil boom was on around early 80's.

lewdog
03-27-2017, 07:24 PM
I wouldn't want to live there, for various reasons (cost of living, congestion) but don't let the haters here take away from Seattle. It's a pretty awesome city IMO and well worth seeing. Plenty to do and if you're basing your opinions solely on seeing downtown, then I suggest you go back to see the rest of the area. It's amazingly beautiful.

MIAdragon
03-27-2017, 07:38 PM

I'd kill myself

Saulbadguy
03-27-2017, 08:42 PM
Schooner Exact brewing
Brooklyn Seafood
Living Computer Museum

19now11
03-28-2017, 12:05 PM
I'm headed to Seattle soon and I'm looking for some travel advice as I've never been to the Pacific Northwest.. I'm not much on touristy sorts of things so not really interested in the Space Needle. I prefer to hang out where the locals do. Me and the Mrs. are foodies, like a good craft beer and love live music. Whatcha got?

get some heroin and enjoy

Joe Seahawk
03-28-2017, 09:09 PM
If you like breweries and restaurants, the Ballard neighborhood will be good for you. See attached links for some good times. use Uber or lyft, very convienent.

http://seattle.curbed.com/maps/how-popular-is-ballards

http://seattle.eater.com/maps/best-new-seattle-restaurants-heatmap

I live in Ballard, try Walrus and Carpenter, Annex Oyster house, for beer Reubens is my favorite brewery the Crikey IPA is awesome!

Otis Day
03-29-2017, 11:59 AM
If you are interested in music you might like the Museum of Pop Culture (used to be the EMP). They have a great Nirvana and Jimi Hendrix exhibit. There was a Star Trek exhibit there recently but not sure it is still there.

DementedLogic
03-29-2017, 12:09 PM
It sucks here, I'd stay away.

MagicHef
04-25-2017, 10:01 PM
This is the rainiest October-April for Seattle since 1895, considering 3 things:

1) There's still a week of April left.
2) 1895 wasn't a particularly wet year, it was just the year they started tracking rainfall.
3) The second rainiest winter was last year.

http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/weather/seattle-just-broke-a-122-year-old-record-for-rain-because-of-course-it-did/

ping2000
04-26-2017, 10:21 AM
Eat salmon. Enjoy.

Frosty
04-26-2017, 10:23 AM
This is the rainiest October-April for Seattle since 1895, considering 3 things:

1) There's still a week of April left.
2) 1895 wasn't a particularly wet year, it was just the year they started tracking rainfall.
3) The second rainiest winter was last year.

http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/weather/seattle-just-broke-a-122-year-old-record-for-rain-because-of-course-it-did/

It's been raining like hell on the this side of the state, too. I swear half of our roads are currently washed out.

FlaChief58
04-26-2017, 03:29 PM
It's been raining like hell on the this side of the state, too. I swear half of our roads are currently washed out.

Send that shit our way. We need it bad!

Frosty
04-26-2017, 04:05 PM
Send that shit our way. We need it bad!

It is dumping rain at the moment (and a whole 47°) - again. If I had the power to send it your way, I definitely would.

FlaChief58
04-26-2017, 04:11 PM
It is dumping rain at the moment (and a whole 47°) - again. If I had the power to send it your way, I definitely would.

Thanks, as dad used to say, it's drier than a popcorn fart here.