PDA

View Full Version : Other Sports Maryville, MO Title town MO.

displacedinMN
03-25-2017, 04:36 PM
Wins both the D2 Football National Championship and the Mens Basketball National Championship. Go Bearcats!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Northwest Missouri State has pulled off the double.

The Bearcats defeated Fairmont State 71-61 victory for the NCAA Division II men’s basketball championship on Saturday in Sioux Falls, S.D.

Northwest became the first Division II program to win football and men’s basketball titles in the same school year.

The Bearcats finished the season 35-1.

Northwest Missouri State scored the game’s first seven points and never trailed. The Bearcats extended an 11-point halftime lead to 14 on a Justin Pitts three-pointer. Fairmont’s Matt Bingaya went on a personal 6-0 run before Pitts responded with another triple.

Fairmont entered the game averaging 95 points, but it couldn’t muster much offense and its press defense was largely useless against the Bearcats.

Pitts, the NABC Division II player of the year, finished with 23 points and was voted most outstanding player of the Elite Eight. The junior from Blue Springs played all 40 minutes and committed just one turnover.

Chris-Ebou Ndow was the work horse on the boards with 18 rebounds to go along with 17 points. Anthony Woods added 13.

Northwest Missouri State had been the regional runner-up each of the past three years. But the Bearcats finished the job for the program’s first men’s basketball national championship.

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/sports/college/ncaa/article140794863.html#storylink=cpy

displacedinMN
03-25-2017, 06:41 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/NWMSU?src=hash">#NWMSU</a> Quite simply, a very special place! <a href="https://twitter.com/NWBearcatsFB">@NWBearcatsFB</a> &amp; <a href="https://twitter.com/NWbball">@NWbball</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/NationalChampions?src=hash">#NationalChampions</a>! Go 2 a Univ that can do both! <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/AllWeDoIsWIN?src=hash">#AllWeDoIsWIN</a>! <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/OABAAB?src=hash">#OABAAB</a> <a href="https://t.co/CCijbbu4oq">pic.twitter.com/CCijbbu4oq</a></p>&mdash; Charlie Pugh (@iamthedynasty) <a href="https://twitter.com/iamthedynasty/status/845744663063678976">March 25, 2017</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

KCUnited
03-25-2017, 06:47 PM
Odd destination for a vacation, but the potato oles at Taco John's are amazing and Id hit the Casey's for pizza.

TLO
03-25-2017, 07:07 PM
Odd destination for a vacation, but the potato oles at Taco John's are amazing and Id hit the Casey's for pizza.

I used to love the Hardees there, but I think it's gone now. :(

eDave
03-25-2017, 07:09 PM
I used to love the Hardees there, but I think it's gone now. :(

They used to give free coupons back when I was there. Always free coupons. Don't know how they survived long like that. I ate sooo much free Hardees.

sd4chiefs
03-25-2017, 07:58 PM
I went to college there in the 70's. Tuition was $400 a semester and I shared a shitty apartment with two other guys for $100 a month. There used to be a burger place there called Arctic Circle or something like that. Their football and basketball programs sucked big time.

Eleazar
03-25-2017, 08:53 PM
Who knew there were so many bearcat alums here? I bet all the scuzzy maryville bars are packed tonight. Sort of wish I could see it again.

displacedinMN
03-25-2017, 08:55 PM
Football was not the greatest when I was there too. 1987-1992 (5 year plan)
Made the NCAA once-then got killed after that. Lived next door to Ed Tillison.

Basketball was coming up. Tappmeyer was the coach and won the MIAA tourney-I have never heard that place as loud as it was that night.

This is a great day in the history of NORTHWEST athletics. Tappmeyer was in the crowd. (article in Daily Forum)

Once a Bearcat-Always a Bearcat

MTG#10
03-25-2017, 08:57 PM
Also known for bullying and harassing rape victims, congrats!

KChiefs1
03-25-2017, 10:17 PM
Fantastic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Bunk
03-25-2017, 11:24 PM
Also known for bullying and harassing rape victims, congrats!

That was the high school, not the university. But nice try.

CoMoChief
03-26-2017, 05:55 AM
Good friend of mine is a former player, now asst coach of the men's bball team.

Very happy for him. They run a good program up there.

redfan
03-26-2017, 05:58 AM
What the heck is a bear cat? Genetics gone awry?
But seriously, congratulations!!

MahiMike
03-26-2017, 08:13 AM
congrats!

MTG#10
03-26-2017, 09:00 AM
That was the high school, not the university. But nice try.

It was pretty much the whole damn town

sd4chiefs
03-26-2017, 09:17 AM

This.

displacedinMN
03-26-2017, 09:29 AM

Although Unique, It is still better than the Ichabods. (no offense) or the Ermines.

DanBecky
03-26-2017, 10:51 AM
Who?

Demonpenz
03-26-2017, 11:40 AM
Bearcats suck exept for sports.

Iowanian
03-26-2017, 02:55 PM
We had championship caliber beer drinking when was ther, but the athletic teams sucked. Really sucked.

displacedinMN
03-27-2022, 10:13 AM
EVANSVILLE, Ind. - The Northwest Missouri State University men's basketball team made NCAA Division II history by becoming the first program to produce three consecutive national championships with a 67-58 victory over the Augusta University Jaguars at the Ford Center.

Northwest junior point guard Trevor Hudgins put the Bearcats on his scoring back with a game-high 31 points. The Bearcat bench also provided a punch on both ends of the court. The Northwest bench out-scored the Augusta bench, 19-4. The Jaguars bench tallied four rebounds, while the Bearcat bench performers tallied 14 rebounds.

The Bearcats (34-5 overall) captured their third straight national championship, and fourth in five years, by holding off a second-half charge by Augusta (33-4 overall).

Augusta used the post play of 7-foot, 1-inch Tyshaun Crawford to build an 18-12 lead eight minutes into the contest. The Bearcats hit the Jaguars with an 11-2 run that included a pair of triples from Hudgins that gave Northwest a 23-20 lead with 6:40 remaining in the half. Hudgins continued his scoring assault in the final five minutes of the half as he accounted for 12 of Northwest's final 14 points of the half. Hudgins tallied 22 first-half points one 8-of-15 shooting from the floor, including four three-pointers. The Bearcats closed the half on a 27-10 scoring run to take a 39-28 lead to the locker room. Northwest held Augusta to one made field goal in the final 10:40 of the first half. The Bearcats shot 57.7% from the floor in the opening 20 minutes on 15-of-26 shooting. Augusta was limited to 36.4% from the field (8-of-22)

Northwest looked to blow away Augusta in the first six minutes of the second half as the Bearcats opened up an 18-point cushion. Hudgins buried his fifth three-pointer of the game with 13:47 to play that gave Northwest a 52-34 advantage.

But credit the Jaguars who refused to wilt and began a comeback attempt. After Hudgins's bucket with 13:47 remaining, the Bearcats did not make another field goal until Luke Waters scored on a layup with 6:54 to play. Waters's basket ended a 10-0 run by the Jaguars. Waters missed his free throw attempt to close out the three-point play leaving Northwest with a 54-44 lead.

The Jaguars kept coming and would trim the Bearcat lead to a single point at 57-56 with 2:36 to play after a three-pointer from Miguel Arnold. Hudgins sank a pair of free throws with 2:24 to play to put the Bearcats back up three at 59-56. Crawford missed a shot in the paint and Waters corralled the rebound. Waters scored on the ensuing possession to open up a five-point lead at 61-56 with 1:42 to play. Arnold missed another shot for the Jaguars as the Bearcats claimed the rebound out of bounds.

Waters fired up a three near the close of the shot clock, but Mitch Mascari grabbed the offensive rebound and sank one of two free throws to take the margin back to six. Arnold misfired from three-point range and Mascari grabbed the rebound and was fouled. Mascari sank both free throws with :45.6 left to take the lead to eight at 64-56. Augusta scored with :12 left and fouled Wes Dreamer on the inbounds play. Dreamer made one of two with :12 left to close out the scoring and send the Bearcats into celebration.

Mascari played a season-high 28 minutes and he produced 11 points and four rebounds. Daniel Abreu played 19 minutes and added three points and five rebounds. Byron Alexander saw 25 minutes and he contributed with five points, five rebounds, two assists and a steal.

Waters added 12 points and three steals.

NOTES: Hudgins became the MIAA's all-time leading scorer as he surpassed UCM's Bill Fennelly's mark of 2,819 points from 1977-81 ... Hudgins has recorded 2,829 points in his Bearcat career ... Hudgins set the NCAA Division II single-season three-pointers record with 168 ... Hudgins and Bernard moved their NCAA Tournament record to 17-0 ... Northwest has won an NCAA Division II record 17 straight NCAA Tournament games ... Northwest has won 24 of its last 25 NCAA Tournament contests ... head coach Ben McCollum moved to 29-5 in NCAA Tournament games ... McCollum has guided Northwest to national championships in 2017, 2019, 2021 and 2022 ... Northwest is 40-20 all-time in NCAA Tournament games.

Rain Man
03-27-2022, 10:17 AM
Although Unique, It is still better than the Ichabods. (no offense) or the Ermines.

Hey.

tmax63
03-27-2022, 10:21 AM
We had championship caliber beer drinking when was ther, but the athletic teams sucked. Really sucked.

You must of been there around the same time I was there

cmh6476
04-01-2024, 02:12 PM
Drake has hired NWMSU's Ben McCollum to be their next basketball head coach.

displacedinMN
04-01-2024, 02:36 PM
Just saw that. Sad. Happy for him.

Did love an article that said storm lake was just Noth of DSM. Hmmmm.

Who knows what comes next.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk