PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Did Andy Reid get a 5 year extension ?

Hog's Gone Fishin
03-29-2017, 05:50 PM
They were talking about it on sirius today and said he just got one or was about to sign one. If so I guess I missed it.

Bugeater
03-29-2017, 05:53 PM
Not sure if Sirius.

Coochie liquor
03-29-2017, 06:00 PM
Not sure if Sirius.

ROFL

Hog's Gone Fishin
03-29-2017, 06:05 PM
Jim Miller and Pat Kirwin were talking about it as matter of fact. they were talking Chiefs and miller just mentioned it in passing like it was common knowledge.

Deberg_1990
03-29-2017, 06:06 PM
Congrats. Well earned!

MahiMike
03-29-2017, 06:08 PM
Yeah! Go Andy!

Sandwiches all around!

wazu
03-29-2017, 06:08 PM
No his is a lifetime extension. The five years is for Alex.

Hog's Gone Fishin
03-29-2017, 06:12 PM
Congrats. Well earned!

I don't think it's confirmed ?? Or have I missed it ?

MotherfuckerJones
03-29-2017, 08:44 PM
Congrats! Now get a real fucking QB prospect in here.

Eleazar
03-29-2017, 08:47 PM
http://www.reactiongifs.com/r/2013/11/killself.gif

Hammock Parties
03-29-2017, 09:06 PM
If you think he isn't getting extended you don't know shit about the Hunts.

Just prepare yourself, and try to look for a small victory at the QB position.

Chief Northman
03-29-2017, 09:12 PM
If you think he isn't getting extended you don't know shit about the Hunts.

Just prepare yourself, and try to look for a small victory at the QB position.

Please offer the compelling argument why Reid should not be extended. Then please offer a plan as to who will lead the Chiefs to a Superbowl.

Reid has his flaws, but he and Dorsey have exponentially improved the franchise. I get the frustration with Smith, but his tenure in KC is not for long. I trust Reid and Dorsey will make a play for a qbotf in the next 13 months if not next month.

Hammock Parties
03-29-2017, 09:16 PM
Please offer the compelling argument why Reid should not be extended. Then please offer a plan as to who will lead the Chiefs to a Superbowl.

There are very few, other than the fact that he appears to have a chicken bone stuck in his throat in the game's biggest moments.

But a lot of coaches can overcome that with the right QB on their side.

Plenty of people don't see it that way, though.

Chief Northman
03-29-2017, 09:27 PM
There are very few, other than the fact that he appears to have a chicken bone stuck in his throat in the game's biggest moments.

But a lot of coaches can overcome that with the right QB on their side.

Plenty of people don't see it that way, though.

I almost agree entirely. The chicken bone thing has become sensationalized. Reid did not choke this last playoff exit. That was all on the players. Smith missed reads and free, open runners. Every receiver dropped a ball, including Kelce who played like shit but for a couple plays. The O-line was out of sync and gave up too many pressures. The run defense was putrid, there was no pass rush and they were on the field too long.

The one thing maybe haunting Reid in hindsight could be the bye week approach. Too much time off. The team came out flat apart from the opening offensive drive. Patriots practiced both weeks and slapped Houston around after an early scare.

There is evidence to stereotype the poor clock management, pass happy, dink/dunk tendencies of Reid. Where he is underrated is in how he schemes. It was frustrating to see how open some receivers were on numerous plays only to have Smith pussy out and bail or misread the progression.

I believe Reid/Dorsey know they have hit the ceiling with Smith. Time to find a new guy.

Pasta Little Brioni
03-29-2017, 10:26 PM
Well deserved :clap:

Mr. Laz
03-29-2017, 10:32 PM
Clark Hunt was scared shitless by what happened when they moved on from Marty Schottenheimer and his outstanding regular season record. Andy Reid will never get fired as long as we continue to be a borderline playoff level team. It doesn't matter whether or not we ever make the AFC Championship game.

I imagine the will announce contract extension for Reid,Dorsey and Alex Smith all at the same time

Eleazar
03-29-2017, 10:48 PM
Reid is the primary reason why this team, as it's currently constituted, won't win a Super Bowl.

His commitment to Smith, coupled with his being a poor gameday coach, are too much for even a fine GM like Dorsey to overcome.

I realize it will be popular to extend Reid since he coaches in a way that is very effective at beating poor and mediocre teams in the regular season, but he will never take this team to the promised land. He has a losing record in the postseason and the only reason he doesn't have a terrible record in the postseason is a bunch of irrelevant wins that happened 15 years ago.

It's not like he is Herm, but we can just shelve those Super Bowl aspirations for a while IMO

BossChief
03-29-2017, 11:31 PM
That's great news.

-King-
03-30-2017, 04:01 AM
Reid is the primary reason why this team, as it's currently constituted, won't win a Super Bowl.

His commitment to Smith, coupled with his being a poor gameday coach, are too much for even a fine GM like Dorsey to overcome.

I realize it will be popular to extend Reid since he coaches in a way that is very effective at beating poor and mediocre teams in the regular season, but he will never take this team to the promised land. He has a losing record in the postseason and the only reason he doesn't have a terrible record in the postseason is a bunch of irrelevant wins that happened 15 years ago.

It's not like he is Herm, but we can just shelve those Super Bowl aspirations for a while IMO

Which teams have better coaches?
Posted via Mobile Device

Sassy Squatch
03-30-2017, 04:49 AM

LMAO. These insinuations that Reid is a poor game day coach are just adorable. 10th all time in career wins with a 173-114-1 record. He has his moments that'll drive you mad for sure, and his game plans can be a bit boring, but he is an excellent head coach.

Red Dawg
03-30-2017, 05:08 AM
Not surprising if this is true. They can extend anyone but Smith. If he gets an extension the fans should March on Arrowhead like it's D.C. In the 60's.

Eleazar
03-30-2017, 08:15 AM
LMAO. These insinuations that Reid is a poor game day coach are just adorable. 10th all time in career wins with a 173-114-1 record. He has his moments that'll drive you mad for sure, and his game plans can be a bit boring, but he is an excellent head coach.

He runs a system that is good at beating the slate of the league that you face in the regular season. Nobody disputes that.

But he himself is a liability on gameday, he gets outcoached by truly great coaches time and again, and his system doesn't work against the best teams.

Best22
03-30-2017, 08:25 AM
What proof do we have that Andy Reid is "committed" to Smith?

TEX
03-30-2017, 08:31 AM

:facepalm:

Really???

ChiefAshhole1056
03-30-2017, 09:02 AM
He runs a system that is good at beating the slate of the league that you face in the regular season. Nobody disputes that.

But he himself is a liability on gameday, and his system doesn't work against the best teams.

Outside of Pittsburgh which teams has he struggled against that concerns you so much? Denver and Oakland are considered to be in the upper tier of the AFC, and he consistently does well against them. Patriots had the upper hand the playoffs two years ago, but that wasn't a Chiefs team that was healthy enough to really compete at that stage, same story with the Colts playoff game (who we beat with Foles this past year).

I feel like he's a consensus top 5, maybe top 3 NFL coach, and unless there's a mysterious firing that happens in the near future from a premier team idk who you think could realistically improve this team from a HC position.

Eleazar
03-30-2017, 09:15 AM
Outside of Pittsburgh which teams has he struggled against that concerns you so much? Denver and Oakland are considered to be in the upper tier of the AFC, and he consistently does well against them. Patriots had the upper hand the playoffs two years ago, but that wasn't a Chiefs team that was healthy enough to really compete at that stage, same story with the Colts playoff game (who we beat with Foles this past year).

I feel like he's a consensus top 5, maybe top 3 NFL coach, and unless there's a mysterious firing that happens in the near future from a premier team idk who you think could realistically improve this team from a HC position.

He's won 25% of his playoff games here. His record on the postseason in the last decade is 3-6. He has a career losing record in the postseason.

Andy Reid's reputation is built almost entirely on regular season wins. But most Chiefs fans are happy with making a playoff appearance in 6 years out of 10, so he'll be fine. Even though 5 of his last 6 have been one-and-done, and the win was against that laughable Brian Hoyer quarterbacked Houston team that backed into the playoffs as the division winner of a terrible division.

Reid hasn't done anything here except bring the team back to where we were with Marty.

ClevelandBronco
03-30-2017, 09:25 AM

It's like God. No proof; mountains of evidence.

Yeah, I did that.

Eleazar
03-30-2017, 09:28 AM

One data point would be that they have unequivocally said that he is our starting QB this coming year, before even seeing what happened in free agency or the draft.

There is no indication whatever that they are unhappy with his performance as the Chiefs QB.

arrwheader
03-30-2017, 10:21 AM
If your bitching about Reids playoff record. I think its just a law of averages. We have been in the playoffs what? All but one season that Reid and Dorsey have been here? If that continues eventually we will get to the super bowl. Its tough to win in the NFL. They are building a winning culture here. That takes some time. I'll take a coach who gives us a chance at the dance every year. He is the best available and one of the best. Who are we comparing him too? Bill Belichick? He has Brady. No one else has Brady or probably ever will.

notorious
03-30-2017, 11:02 AM
Andy's teams make me happy on more Sunday's than not.

carcosa
03-30-2017, 11:02 AM
more like 5 ton expansion lmao

he fat

notorious
03-30-2017, 11:04 AM
more like 5 ton expansion lmao

he fat

Feasting off of division teams will do that.

Rasputin
03-30-2017, 11:33 AM
If your bitching about Reids playoff record. I think its just a law of averages. We have been in the playoffs what? All but one season that Reid and Dorsey have been here? If that continues eventually we will get to the super bowl. Its tough to win in the NFL. They are building a winning culture here. That takes some time. I'll take a coach who gives us a chance at the dance every year. He is the best available and one of the best. Who are we comparing him too? Bill Belichick? He has Brady. No one else has Brady or probably ever will.

I'm bitching about our playoff record with Andy Reid. The only playoff game we won was against Texans with fucking Hoyer at quarterback. Fucking Shit. We beat a shit quarterback that's fucking it. Fuck Andy Smith 1-3 playoff record.

Eleazar
03-30-2017, 11:41 AM

Reid would probably lose to the Garoppolo patriots in the playoffs, because Belichick would coach rings around him, Andy would blow challenges and time outs, give the other teams free posessions, etc.

Reid is too mistake-prone to succeed in an environment where your mistakes are punished and other teams mistakes become more rare, like deep in the postseason.

Easy 6
03-30-2017, 12:03 PM
Big Red has many more pros than cons, if he has been extended then its a good thing

His players love him, and when his scheme is dialed in and balanced... he is one of the best around

arrwheader
03-30-2017, 12:18 PM
Reid would probably lose to the Garoppolo patriots in the playoffs, because Belichick would coach rings around him, Andy would blow challenges and time outs, give the other teams free posessions, etc.

Reid is too mistake-prone to succeed in an environment where your mistakes are punished and other teams mistakes become more rare, like deep in the postseason.

Has his faults, but is some of the mistake prone talk more on Alex than him? Alex needs to be damn near perfect. His margin of error is almost nil.

Eleazar
03-30-2017, 12:25 PM
Has his faults, but is some of the mistake prone talk more on Alex than him? Alex needs to be damn near perfect. His margin of error is almost nil.

Reid hand-picked a QB who is only good enough when he's at his best. Reid has stood by his man, maintaining that he is good enough.

I don't blame Smith. Smith is just being who he is. Reid is the one who anointed him.

Reid calls the games, calling games that allow little room for error or that turtle up anytime the team has a lead. Who calls those timing throws at the goal line instead of running the ball, and who calls the million sideways plays that go nowhere?

Reid is the one blowing challenges and time outs.

Reid is the one calling plays that don't work for 3 quarters until the team is down late.

Reid's formula allows very little room for error, and it only works when everyone executes or when the other team actually makes the mistakes that you're depending on. This doesn't hold up in the postseason.

tk13
03-30-2017, 12:47 PM
The Chiefs actually had one of the best strength of victories in the league last year. As we know we've had no problem beating eventual Super Bowl teams almost every year under Reid. The most maddening thing is usually the letdowns in between those games, like when your drop games at home to .500 teams.

Eleazar
03-30-2017, 01:09 PM
The Chiefs actually had one of the best strength of victories in the league last year. As we know we've had no problem beating eventual Super Bowl teams almost every year under Reid. The most maddening thing is usually the letdowns in between those games, like when your drop games at home to .500 teams.

I agree... like when you lose to Tampa and Tennessee at home, losses which you can directly attribute to Reid's poor decision-making/clock management/timeout use

Pasta Little Brioni
03-30-2017, 01:25 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

They won't answer this.

Mr. Laz
03-30-2017, 03:22 PM
He's won 25% of his playoff games here. His record on the postseason in the last decade is 3-6. He has a career losing record in the postseason.

Andy Reid's reputation is built almost entirely on regular season wins. But most Chiefs fans are happy with making a playoff appearance in 6 years out of 10, so he'll be fine. Even though 5 of his last 6 have been one-and-done, and the win was against that laughable Brian Hoyer quarterbacked Houston team that backed into the playoffs as the division winner of a terrible division.

Reid hasn't done anything here except bring the team back to where we were with Marty.
Career Andy Reid, Postseason 11–12 (.478)

Mr. Laz
03-30-2017, 03:23 PM
Reid hand-picked a QB who is only good enough when he's at his best. Reid has stood by his man, maintaining that he is good enough.

I don't blame Smith. Smith is just being who he is. Reid is the one who anointed him.

Reid calls the games, calling games that allow little room for error or that turtle up anytime the team has a lead. Who calls those timing throws at the goal line instead of running the ball, and who calls the million sideways plays that go nowhere?

Reid is the one calling plays that don't work for 3 quarters until the team is down late.

Reid's formula allows very little room for error, and it only works when everyone executes or when the other team actually makes the mistakes that you're depending on. This doesn't hold up in the postseason.
:clap:

Mr. Laz
03-30-2017, 04:18 PM
Which option fits the Chiefs best?

Option 1. Andy Reid's offense is limited by Alex Smith.

In which case, the Chiefs would be looking for every opportunity to improve the key position because it's holding the entire team back.

Option 2. Andy Reid's offense is running the way he wants it to for the most part.

In which case, the Chiefs wouldn't be looking to replace Alex Smith. They would only be taking the occasional shot at drafting a QB with the chance to hit it big or to just develop and trade the QB for draft picks.

RunKC
03-30-2017, 04:24 PM

I would say his reputation is all from the McNabb years.

Andy can win with a good QB. He's been bad with average QB's just like everyone else who has had them.

-King-
03-30-2017, 04:27 PM
Posted via Mobile Device
?
Posted via Mobile Device

OnTheWarpath15
03-30-2017, 04:35 PM
?
Posted via Mobile Device

You know why you're not getting a response, the answer is subjective as fuck.

I guess the only fair way to judge is based on postseason W/L record.

So, anyone who has a career postseason record better than .478 would fit, as well as anyone who has better than a 1-3 postseason record with their current team.

And of course, anyone who has won a Super Bowl.

I'm not doing the work, but I'd be curious to see the list. There's probably not THAT many guys on it, simply because there are so many new HC's.

Off the top 'o the dome...

Belichick
Tomlin
Harbaugh
Carroll
Payton
McCarthy

-King-
03-30-2017, 04:38 PM
You know why you're not getting a response, the answer is subjective as fuck.

So, anyone who has a career postseason record better than .478 would fit, as well as anyone who has better than a 1-3 postseason record with their current team.

I'm not doing the work, but I'd be curious to see the list. There's probably not THAT many guys on it, simply because there are so many new HC's.

Belichick
Tomlin
Harbaugh
Carroll
Payton
McCarthy

Only one for sure on that list I'd take over Reid is belichick. Tomlin and Carroll would be a toss up. Other than that, hell no to the others.
Posted via Mobile Device

OnTheWarpath15
03-30-2017, 04:40 PM
Only one for sure on that list I'd take over Reid is belichick. Tomlin and Carroll would be a toss up. Other than that, hell no to the others.
Posted via Mobile Device

Like I said, subjective as fuck.

Personally, I think the only one I definitely wouldn't take is McCarthy.

His in-game decision making is almost as bad as Andy's.

Mr. Laz
03-30-2017, 04:40 PM
I would say his reputation is all from the McNabb years.

Andy can win with a good QB. He's been bad with average QB's just like everyone else who has had them.
McNabb did what he wanted

Just about every freaking play ended up with McNabb running around and chucking it deep.

imo Reid didn't like McNabb doing that and ended up trading him.

When Andy had total autonomy to pick his QB in KC, he went almost the exact opposite of McNabb.

Coochie liquor
03-30-2017, 04:51 PM
I agree... like when you lose to Tampa and Tennessee at home, losses which you can directly attribute to Reid's poor decision-making/clock management/timeout use

What about Alex throwing interceptions in the end zones late in the game? That more than anything is what killed the Ten, and TB games. Our game plan wasn't bad, we slowed the game down, and tried to make the young qb's beat us. Just happens that Alex shit the bed during both games...

Eleazar
03-30-2017, 05:03 PM

Just about every freaking play ended up with McNabb running around and chucking it deep.

When Andy had total autonomy to pick his QB in KC, he went almost the exact opposite of McNabb.

Andy Reid spent a #2 overall on Donovan McNabb, who turned out to be a good quarterback.

Other than that, he has drafted:

AJ Feeley (round 5)
Kevin Kolb (2)
Nick Foles (3)
Mike Kafka (4)
Kevin Hogan (5)

That's it, for his 18 year coaching career.

Eleazar
03-30-2017, 05:04 PM
What about Alex throwing interceptions in the end zones late in the game? That more than anything is what killed the Ten, and TB games. Our game plan wasn't bad, we slowed the game down, and tried to make the young qb's beat us. Just happens that Alex shit the bed during both games...

Who called those plays?

Who made the bonehead coaching decisions that gave the other teams points, to put Smith in a position to have to win the game with his arm?

OnTheWarpath15
03-30-2017, 05:07 PM
Who called those plays?

Who made the bonehead coaching decisions that gave the other teams points, to put Smith in a position to have to win the game with his arm?

Who chooses a QB who requires one-read plays?

mdstu
03-30-2017, 05:15 PM
You know why you're not getting a response, the answer is subjective as ****.

Belichick
Tomlin
Harbaugh
Carroll
Payton
McCarthy

That's four HOF and two damn fine QB's.

OnTheWarpath15
03-30-2017, 05:18 PM
That's four HOF and two damn fine QB's.

Andy's had a 1st and 2nd overall pick for nearly his entire career.

And he chose both of them, so...

Coochie liquor
03-30-2017, 05:57 PM
Who called those plays?

How many other HC's expect the same of their qb? It's a game that often comes down to the last possession of the game. Alex isn't good enough to win those games consistently. Andy has lots of flaws, all coaches do. Let's see what he does with the next qb before condemning him. He's taken us to the playoffs more than the the last few slapdicks. We all know we need a new qb. I'm willing to wait and see how he does with a different qb.

SAUTO
03-30-2017, 06:21 PM
Andy Reid spent a #2 overall on Donovan McNabb, who turned out to be a good quarterback.

Other than that, he has drafted:

AJ Feeley (round 5)
Kevin Kolb (2)
Nick Foles (3)
Mike Kafka (4)
Kevin Hogan (5)

That's it, for his 18 year coaching career.

Aaron Murray?

arrwheader
03-30-2017, 07:15 PM

I do t disagree with you that Reid has his faults. I am simply saying that I think we could do a lot worse at HC. Sure Reid picked AS so did Dorsey. Maybe the plan was to bring in stability and a winner. This has been achieved I don't believe we can argue that at least in regular season success. I say the jury is still out on Reid and I think he's earned an extension based on his success in making the playoffs consistently.

TigeRRUppeRRcut
03-30-2017, 07:44 PM

Yea they were 2 bad interceptions but they were also one-read only plays that Reid dialed up. Tyreek's game tying TD against Denver was also a one-ready play. Same with the Harris 2 point conversion. If alex doesn't obey, he gets canned. When Alex gets to run the 2 minute offense the Chiefs have flourished.

I think people are forgetting that our highest paid receiver was far from his 2015 form yet Smith still posted a higher QBR and completion % in 2016

alanm
03-30-2017, 08:26 PM
You guys can exponate all you want. But the fact remains that the QB. Offensive line , Defensive line. And Dbacks let the Chiefs down in the playoffs. Despite all that, they still had a chance to win. They all played like shit and they still almost pulled it off. The're not the Patriots. And despite what y'all say the QB ain't gonna pull it off by himself. He ain't Farve. :shake:

SAUTO
03-30-2017, 08:30 PM
Yea they were 2 bad interceptions but they were also one-read only plays that Reid dialed up. Tyreek's game tying TD against Denver was also a one-ready play. Same with the Harris 2 point conversion. If alex doesn't obey, he gets canned. When Alex gets to run the 2 minute offense the Chiefs have flourished.

I think people are forgetting that our highest paid receiver was far from his 2015 form yet Smith still posted a higher QBR and completion % in 2016

I dont think anyone is forgetting that.

I bet you have typed it out over two hundred times.

alanm
03-30-2017, 08:34 PM
And a lot of the reason they lost to Pittsburg is because I believe they thought they couldn't beat Pittsburg. That's on the Coaches for letting them get into that mindfuck. Pittsburg has the Chiefs number and has had for a number of years. :shake:

Eleazar
03-30-2017, 08:43 PM
I do t disagree with you that Reid has his faults. I am simply saying that I think we could do a lot worse at HC. Sure Reid picked AS so did Dorsey. Maybe the plan was to bring in stability and a winner. This has been achieved I don't believe we can argue that at least in regular season success. I say the jury is still out on Reid and I think he's earned an extension based on his success in making the playoffs consistently.

Sure, we could do worse. If that's your main concern - that we might do worse than regular season wins and first round exits, and that all our coach needs to do is make the playoffs pretty consistently for we as a fan base to be happy, then Reid is your guy. He has a high floor and a low ceiling.

For me, if they extend Reid and especially if they extend Smith, it's really going to test me as a fan because it borders on not being serious about putting it all out there to win a championship.

Trent Green GOAT
03-30-2017, 08:55 PM

"Alex is our qb".

Bugeater
03-30-2017, 08:56 PM
Sure, we could do worse. If that's your main concern - that we might do worse than regular season wins and first round exits, and that all our coach needs to do is make the playoffs pretty consistently for we as a fan base to be happy, then Reid is your guy. He has a high floor and a low ceiling.

For me, if they extend Reid and especially if they extend Smith, it's really going to test me as a fan because it borders on not being serious about putting it all out there to win a championship.
I think it's already been pretty well established that is not a goal of the franchise.

-King-
03-31-2017, 04:39 AM

So who would you replace Reid with? I agree that extending Smith would piss me off. But you wouldn't extend Reid? Really? Who out there would be better? Who else is taking a team that was a literal dumpster fire and making them contenders 4 years straight?

It's amazing how people have forgot the pioli era. We're 4 years removed and people are in Superbowl and bust mode. To me, that's actually a testament of how good Reid has been.
Posted via Mobile Device

TRR
03-31-2017, 06:18 AM

Yep - After 11 years with the Eagles, and finishing as the all time leader in completions, yards, and TD's in Eagles history (and a Super Bowl trip), Reid said I'm sick of this. Never again!

That's just a terrible post.

Chiefnj2
03-31-2017, 07:35 AM
Yep - After 11 years with the Eagles, and finishing as the all time leader in completions, yards, and TD's in Eagles history (and a Super Bowl trip), Reid said I'm sick of this. Never again!

Then why doesn't he change his style or give another QB a shot? Why hasn't he had a real open competition at QB? He went an entire year calling plays and didn't have a single TD to a WR. 15 TD passes last year with a veteran QB 4 years into the system.

Those days of Philly are long gone. Reid is content with a conservative style that will win regular season games and keep his paycheck coming.

TRR
03-31-2017, 08:12 AM
Then why doesn't he change his style or give another QB a shot? Why hasn't he had a real open competition at QB? He went an entire year calling plays and didn't have a single TD to a WR. 15 TD passes last year with a veteran QB 4 years into the system.

Those days of Philly are long gone. Reid is content with a conservative style that will win regular season games and keep his paycheck coming.

You truly believe that bullshit you just wrote? If so it's not worth having the discussion. Reid could retire from coaching right now and make more money working half the hours as a talking head.

Come on man.

Eleazar
03-31-2017, 08:15 AM
So who would you replace Reid with? I agree that extending Smith would piss me off. But you wouldn't extend Reid? Really? Who out there would be better? Who else is taking a team that was a literal dumpster fire and making them contenders 4 years straight?

First, I disagree with your contention that this is a contending team. The Chiefs are not contenders. The postseason all four years of Reid's tenure has proved that decisively. Last year's postseason definitely proved that decisively. It was Reid's best team in a decade at least, and it was still never in any danger of winning the Super Bowl.

It's impossible to name a replacement without knowing who will be available when Reid decides to move on, since that's probably how it will end. It's unlikely the Hunts will ever fire him, so Reid will probably be with us for another 4-5 years.

We are about halfway through Marty's tenure, basically, as a franchise

Whatever year it was, you'd start looking at assistant head coaches or an offensive coordinator from a winning organization, preferably one who worked under a great head coach and with a great quarterback.

A retread like Reid, who has not changed in his 18 years and hasn't been close to winning a title for 15 years now, is not what you target.

Just like the QB position. You don't want to pick a retread and hope they spontaneously turn into Belichick, you want to find the next Belichick.

It's amazing how people have forgot the pioli era. We're 4 years removed and people are in Superbowl and bust mode. To me, that's actually a testament of how good Reid has been.
Posted via Mobile Device

The fact that Pioli sucked has nothing to do with the Chiefs franchise today.

Reid being much better than Romeo Crennel does not make Reid a great coach.

Again, if you're happy with winning 9-12 games a year and losing the first playoff game, this is the franchise for you.

Some of us want better, and see that Reid is not the person to provide it.

Mr. Laz
03-31-2017, 08:16 AM

and yet, here we are

Reid has shown no indication that he plans on changing anything.

same offense
same starting QB
no QB competition
no real effort to draft a replacement (Bridgewater,Carr,Wilson etc) he didn't want anything to do with a QB before the 4th/5th round regardless of who it is

If we extend Alex Smith this year or next there will be no doubt, all the excuses will be dead.

O.city
03-31-2017, 08:50 AM
Reid's offense has consistently been in the top 10 of the league in about all categories until he acquired SMith. It wasn't a conservative offense until then.

Although maybe thats what he wants now? Dunno.

Mr. Laz
03-31-2017, 09:11 AM
Reid's offense has consistently been in the top 10 of the league in about all categories until he acquired SMith. It wasn't a conservative offense until then.

Although maybe thats what he wants now? Dunno.
If Alex Smith is the aberration then why is Reid keeping him?

Loyalty?

Andy Reid is willing to sacrifice a season of football because he is putting his "friendship" with Alex Smith ahead of his football team?

If that's the case then we have a bigger problem.

I'm not trying to push any agenda, just going by what I see.

O.city
03-31-2017, 09:20 AM

Loyalty?

Andy Reid is willing to sacrifice a season of football because he is putting his "friendship" with Alex Smith ahead of his football team?

I think they like him and think he can push the envelope to be more aggressive. I don't think he can or will but they seem to think he can.

I think theres also the fact that they haven't seen or been available to anyone better. No reason to move on when you don't have anything to move onto.

Smith was a good soldier and a good player for what they needed. Now, they need to look to take the next step as he seems to have hit his ceiling. We'll see how it goes.

New World Order
03-31-2017, 09:26 AM

Loyalty?

It's the safe play

RunKC
03-31-2017, 09:35 AM
and yet, here we are

Reid has shown no indication that he plans on changing anything.

same offense
same starting QB
no QB competition
no real effort to draft a replacement (Bridgewater,Carr,Wilson etc) he didn't want anything to do with a QB before the 4th/5th round regardless of who it is

If we extend Alex Smith this year or next there will be no doubt, all the excuses will be dead.

Andy wanted Wilson but waited too long on draft day and completely miscalculated when he would be taken.

Missing on Carr was really bad, but he did trade for Alex the year before. Andy talked up Alex to Clark and gave up big resources to get him. It's easy to see the logic in not drafting a QB the year after you just gave up said resources to get a guy you told your boss was "the guy".

This year they've done more scouting on QB's than at any point since they started.

It is 100% guaranteed that they want to draft a QB, it's just a matter of where at.

TigeRRUppeRRcut
03-31-2017, 10:45 AM
There wouldn't be a debate right now about the QB if Maclin had played up to 80% of his standards. He was 60% at best in 2016. I honestly feel that he is still a legitimate #1 receiver but this is his make or break year to remain viable in the league.

Eleazar
03-31-2017, 11:34 AM
There wouldn't be a debate right now about the QB if Alex Smith had played up to 80% of his standards. He was 60% at best in 2016.

I fixed your post.

Mr. Laz
03-31-2017, 11:41 AM
Andy wanted Wilson but waited too long on draft day and completely miscalculated when he would be taken.

Missing on Carr was really bad, but he did trade for Alex the year before. Andy talked up Alex to Clark and gave up big resources to get him. It's easy to see the logic in not drafting a QB the year after you just gave up said resources to get a guy you told your boss was "the guy".

This year they've done more scouting on QB's than at any point since they started.

It is 100% guaranteed that they want to draft a QB, it's just a matter of where at.
If it's lower than the 3rd then it's not a serious pick.

It's a "take-a-shot" pick and they have no intention of replacing Smith.

Eleazar
03-31-2017, 11:48 AM
If it's lower than the 3rd then it's not a serious pick.

It's a "take-a-shot" pick and they have no intention of replacing Smith.

Even if, say, Watson fell to us and they drafted him in the 1st, Smith is still going to be our QB at least this year, and probably next year.

I think there's a good chance he's even here another year or two after that, if Andy is still here, and if they haven't drafted more than a 'flyer' type QB

Hydrae
03-31-2017, 12:52 PM
First, I disagree with your contention that this is a contending team. The Chiefs are not contenders. The postseason all four years of Reid's tenure has proved that decisively. Last year's postseason definitely proved that decisively. It was Reid's best team in a decade at least, and it was still never in any danger of winning the Super Bowl.

It's impossible to name a replacement without knowing who will be available when Reid decides to move on, since that's probably how it will end. It's unlikely the Hunts will ever fire him, so Reid will probably be with us for another 4-5 years.

We are about halfway through Marty's tenure, basically, as a franchise

Whatever year it was, you'd start looking at assistant head coaches or an offensive coordinator from a winning organization, preferably one who worked under a great head coach and with a great quarterback.

A retread like Reid, who has not changed in his 18 years and hasn't been close to winning a title for 15 years now, is not what you target.

Just like the QB position. You don't want to pick a retread and hope they spontaneously turn into Belichick, you want to find the next Belichick.

The fact that Pioli sucked has nothing to do with the Chiefs franchise today.

Reid being much better than Romeo Crennel does not make Reid a great coach.

Again, if you're happy with winning 9-12 games a year and losing the first playoff game, this is the franchise for you.

Some of us want better, and see that Reid is not the person to provide it.

So, Josh McDaniels? :rolleyes:

SAUTO
03-31-2017, 03:51 PM
There wouldn't be a debate right now about the QB if Maclin had played up to 80% of his standards. He was 60% at best in 2016. I honestly feel that he is still a legitimate #1 receiver but this is his make or break year to remain viable in the league.

ROFL yes there would be

Dave Lane
03-31-2017, 03:53 PM
Not surprising if this is true. They can extend anyone but Smith. If he gets an extension the fans should March on Arrowhead like it's D.C. In the 60's.

March like its DC in 2017. But hell to the yes on your point.

Easy 6
03-31-2017, 04:28 PM
So we've gotten tired bashing Smith and now its time to rip Reid?

I dont give a damn, when you look at the short list of coaches with better postseason winning percentages they all have one thing in common... superior quarterbacking

Should Reid take a lot of blame for his record with QBs other than McNabb?

Absolutely... but with any luck, Dorsey can help remedy that

Get Andy a top QB and he is capable of going all the way

-King-
03-31-2017, 04:29 PM
So, Josh McDaniels? :rolleyes:
I was literally about to post this lol.
Posted via Mobile Device