PDA

View Full Version : Science Egypt finds remains of 3,700-year-old pyramid

Fish
04-05-2017, 07:57 PM
I know we have many interested in cool archaeology info. Here's to hoping there's more to be found...

Egypt finds remains of 3,700-year-old pyramid (http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-39484988)

http://i.imgur.com/KhqysxF.jpg

The remains of a pyramid built some 3,700 years ago have been discovered in Egypt, the antiquities ministry says.
An interior corridor and a block engraved with 10 hieroglyphic lines were among the finds at the Dahshur royal necropolis, south of Cairo.
The ministry said they were in very good condition and that excavation work was continuing to try to reveal more and establish the size of the pyramid.
It is believed to have been built during the 13th pharaonic dynasty.

http://i.imgur.com/CGgkDrp.jpg

Dahshur is where King Sneferu of the 4th Dynasty built ancient Egypt's first true smooth-sided pyramid, the 104m-high (341ft) Red Pyramid, about 4,600 years ago.

He also constructed an earlier version, the 105m-high Bent Pyramid, whose slopes change angle from 54 degrees to 43 degrees about halfway up.
Sneferu was succeeded by his son Khufu, the renowned builder of the Great Pyramid at Giza, which is 138m high and was a wonder of the ancient world.

Hamwallet
04-05-2017, 08:24 PM
What does Jesus have to say about this. It's around 1,500 years before him. It must be a lie!

SAUTO
04-05-2017, 08:25 PM
What does Jesus have to say about this. It's around 1,500 years before him. It must be a lie!

Jesus wasn't the first person

Bowser
04-05-2017, 08:26 PM

The world still had 2,300 years to get its shit together to get to that point, you fucking heathen!

notorious
04-05-2017, 08:29 PM
Built about the same time the Chiefs drafted a 1st round QB.

TigeRRUppeRRcut
04-05-2017, 08:29 PM
Watch it mention scientology.

Coochie liquor
04-05-2017, 08:34 PM
From dinosaurs to ancient Egyptians in 2300 years. Jj is a dummy!!

SBInfinity
04-05-2017, 08:38 PM
How do you not find a prymid until now? Must have been a lot of sand on it

SAUTO
04-05-2017, 08:39 PM
Watch it mention scientology.

:shake:

jjchieffan
04-06-2017, 08:49 AM
I bet carbon dating has it at 60 million years old.

KCUnited
04-06-2017, 08:51 AM
Is the grain inside still good?

Baby Lee
04-06-2017, 09:03 AM
How do you not find a prymid until now? Must have been a lot of sand on it

Did you see where they found those giant statues just under the ground in what was basically a trash heap.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2017/03/egypt-pharaoh-ramses-statue-discovered-cairo/

<iframe allowfullscreen width='640' height='360' src='//assets.ngeo.com/modules-video/latest/assets/ngsEmbeddedVideo.html?guid=0000015a-b879-d395-afdb-bffb586a0000' frameborder='0' scrolling='no'></iframe>

Rain Man
04-06-2017, 09:31 AM
I realize that Egypt has a lot of sand, which is one thing, but in general I'm always unclear on how archaeological stuff ends up underground. Whether it's a pyramid or an arrowhead or a statue or something else, they always find this stuff by digging. Does dirt really move that much?

Baby Lee
04-06-2017, 09:36 AM
I realize that Egypt has a lot of sand, which is one thing, but in general I'm always unclear on how archaeological stuff ends up underground. Whether it's a pyramid or an arrowhead or a statue or something else, they always find this stuff by digging. Does dirt really move that much?

How far underground was Troy? Seems like they dug down dozens of feet, maybe even dozens of yards to unearth it.

Soil builds up with wind and rain, then plants grow. Plants die and turn into soil themselves. Eons pass.

Rain Man
04-06-2017, 10:09 AM
How far underground was Troy? Seems like they dug down dozens of feet, maybe even dozens of yards to unearth it.

Soil builds up with wind and rain, then plants grow. Plants die and turn into soil themselves. Eons pass.

Where does the soil come from? Is it blowing or eroding from high places to lower places? I remember reading about an archaeology project once where they were measuring some mineral in the ocean that came from a mountain range, so they could check drought conditions in the past. So maybe there's that.

And plants are a good point. If you have dirt at Z=-3 inches compared to the ancient sidewalk and hoverport, and then the plant grows 12 inches and then dies, you could have dirt/mulch that moves up and over the ancient sidewalk and hoverport.

Wind would certainly move dirt around, but it would seem random that it would happen to pile up on the ancient hoverport. It seems like dirt is a zero sum game worldwide other than maybe stuff eroding off rocks.

But yeah, I read about places like Troy, and I've been to all sorts of historic places to see ruins, and they're often below ground level. Notre Dame has an old settlement under it, Mesa Verde has settlements that were excavated below ground level, and so on.

I guess the other logic is that we only find the ones that ended up underground because the ones that don't get buried either erode away or get carted off by local gypsies.

ModSocks
04-06-2017, 10:16 AM

Did you miss the "3,700-year-old" part of the thread title? It's repeated several times actually.

Baby Lee
04-06-2017, 10:22 AM
Where does the soil come from?

The sun energizes carbon and oxygen into forming organic compounds. Those compounds exhibit what we have recognized as life, which leads to lifespans, death and disintegration.

Spott
04-06-2017, 10:30 AM
Inside they found the Chiefs Super Bowl trophy.

Buehler445
04-06-2017, 10:36 AM
Where does the soil come from? Is it blowing or eroding from high places to lower places? I remember reading about an archaeology project once where they were measuring some mineral in the ocean that came from a mountain range, so they could check drought conditions in the past. So maybe there's that.

And plants are a good point. If you have dirt at Z=-3 inches compared to the ancient sidewalk and hoverport, and then the plant grows 12 inches and then dies, you could have dirt/mulch that moves up and over the ancient sidewalk and hoverport.

Wind would certainly move dirt around, but it would seem random that it would happen to pile up on the ancient hoverport. It seems like dirt is a zero sum game worldwide other than maybe stuff eroding off rocks.

But yeah, I read about places like Troy, and I've been to all sorts of historic places to see ruins, and they're often below ground level. Notre Dame has an old settlement under it, Mesa Verde has settlements that were excavated below ground level, and so on.

I guess the other logic is that we only find the ones that ended up underground because the ones that don't get buried either erode away or get carted off by local gypsies.

Erosion and plant decay is the main one, especially over thousands of years. (That's why I bag my lawn clippings)

But roads also can move some too. It doesn't take long for a yard out here next to a county road to need the sprinklers adjusted.

Eleazar
04-06-2017, 10:47 AM
Did you miss the "3,700-year-old" part of the thread title? It's repeated several times actually.

He's making a joke about the accuracy of carbon dating.

Amnorix
04-06-2017, 11:20 AM

He's making a joke about the accuracy of carbon dating.

Because he doesn't believe in it, because he believes the Bible puts the date of the earth at 6,000 years, so there you go.

ghak99
04-06-2017, 12:00 PM

I'm just trying to imagine the look on the poor soul's face who has to dig a hole big enough to reveal a pyramid after someone kicks the rock that turns out to be the tip of it.LMAO

Your local mountain range is getting shorter every day. Rain, wind, and gravity are sending it down and toward Kansas. Kansas sends doe of it to Missouri. We send it to the Louisiana. With all the great feats of humanity currently happening in Baton Rouge, just imagine what they'll discover poking out of the ground there in 6000 years!

We measured a field last spring that shows ~1" of sheet erosion a year. You can't really notice it from year to year, but the tree line at the down hill edge of the property line has a fence in it that had some hand cut stone posts in it. If you pull one of the posts they are roughly 6' tall. I can only see the top 1' of the posts sticking out of the ground. All those years of soil moving 1" a year adds up and we don't even have wind erosion here like they do in the deserts. One of these days I'm going to spend some money and haul it all back up to the top of the hill and let it start over. Hope I find a Pyramid!

MMXcalibur
04-06-2017, 12:36 PM
Live video feed from the dig site:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/b2/Oscar_Isaac_Apocalypse.jpg

LiveSteam
04-06-2017, 12:39 PM
Built about the same time the Chiefs drafted a 1st round QB.

LMAO

Dave Lane
04-06-2017, 01:45 PM

Guess how I know you don't know anything about carbon dating?

Dave Lane
04-06-2017, 01:49 PM
Is the grain inside still good?

Ben Carson is rushing to check it out...

ThaVirus
04-06-2017, 02:23 PM

Relevant and interesting:

https://www.nasa.gov/content/goddard/nasa-satellite-reveals-how-much-saharan-dust-feeds-amazon-s-plants

Rain Man
04-06-2017, 02:34 PM

https://www.nasa.gov/content/goddard/nasa-satellite-reveals-how-much-saharan-dust-feeds-amazon-s-plants

I find that both relevant and interesting. Thanks!

Nickhead
04-06-2017, 03:20 PM
but yet we find dinosaur bones on the surface of the earth just waiting to be 'dusted' off. :D

T-post Tom
04-06-2017, 05:37 PM

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/tH2w6Oxx0kQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

TLO
04-06-2017, 06:02 PM
That's quite impressive!

Dave Lane
04-06-2017, 06:12 PM
but yet we find dinosaur bones on the surface of the earth just waiting to be 'dusted' off. :D

Yes that would be the erosion component of resettlement of layers

Rain Man
04-06-2017, 06:14 PM
Yes that would be the erosion component of resettlement of layers

Or somebody wants us to find them. [Insightful stare with one eyebrow raised.]

mr. tegu
04-06-2017, 06:37 PM

I am sure you have heard of the Arabia Steamboat in Kansas City, correct? It sank on the river only 150 years ago and was found a half mile from the current river bank under 45 feet of soil. It was covered that much in a short amount of time. There are lots of ancient rivers that would have also acted on these ancient sites and areas to help cover them, just adding to the other elements and coverage of these places.

loochy
04-07-2017, 06:47 AM
Guess how I know you don't know anything about carbon dating?

I take it you missed the other thread

redfan
04-07-2017, 07:26 AM
I bet it's magnetic.