PDA

View Full Version : Home and Auto Is there anything stronger than Roundup?

MTG#10
04-16-2017, 03:27 PM
Every year I spray the weeds/grass in my flower bed in front of my house with this shit at least 6-8 times. Ive tried doubling the strength of the mix but the grass/weeds still comes back a month or so later. I tried the stupid vinegar/epson salt/dish soap shit (all lies, doesnt work at all) and everything else I can think of.

Is there anything out there that will kill weeds/grass better than Roundup besides diesel fuel/gasoline? Something that you dont need a special permit to buy preferable.

siberian khatru
04-16-2017, 03:30 PM
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/i9H50tHiHjs/hqdefault.jpg

BeMyValentine
04-16-2017, 03:31 PM
Tordon will get the job done. Find it at farm stores

MTG#10
04-16-2017, 03:43 PM
Tordon will get the job done. Find it at farm stores

Will it kill my bushes too? Because that would suck but almost be worth it.

MTG#10
04-16-2017, 03:45 PM
Supposedly that stuff doesnt harm most grasses. I need to kill grass and weeds for at least a few months if possible. Tired of spraying Roundup every month.

Reerun_KC
04-16-2017, 03:47 PM
Buehler_445

Dude this is right up your alley... Your guys always knows the best shit on the market.

My yard compared to my neighbors is night and day thanks to you all...

Pitt Gorilla
04-16-2017, 03:51 PM
Your mom's belt.

Hammock Parties
04-16-2017, 03:52 PM
Antifreeze

MTG#10
04-16-2017, 03:55 PM
Your mom's belt.

My mom died a couple months ago

Pitt Gorilla
04-16-2017, 04:13 PM
My mom died a couple months agoSorry to hear that.

bevischief
04-16-2017, 04:14 PM
My mom died a couple months ago

Mine over a decade ago.

MTG#10
04-16-2017, 04:16 PM
Sorry to hear that.

Not really, just something I say anytime someone uses the old "your mom" response.

Hammock Parties
04-16-2017, 04:19 PM
Not really, just something I say anytime someone uses the old "your mom" response.

My mother is dead you asshole.

MTG#10
04-16-2017, 04:21 PM
My mother is dead you asshole.

So is my dad, what's your point

Hog's Gone Fishin
04-16-2017, 04:26 PM
So is my dad, what's your point

So , your Moms available ?

You got pic's

Bowser
04-16-2017, 04:28 PM
Gasoline or hydraulic fluid will kill shit dead. Just don't let anyone see you use it.

Bugeater
04-16-2017, 04:31 PM
http://www.preen.com/products

Mr. Laz
04-16-2017, 04:46 PM
What about putting plastic and/or wood chips down so no sun or water gets to it.

cut holes for flower bushes

MTG#10
04-16-2017, 04:55 PM
What about putting plastic and/or wood chips down so no sun or water gets to it.

cut holes for flower bushes

Ive got a ton of mulch on it...shit still grows right through. Ive thought about that black fabric stuff but it'd be so much easier if there was something like roundup but better. I'd probably even do gasoline if it weren't for the smell.

Buehler445
04-16-2017, 04:58 PM
Every year I spray the weeds/grass in my flower bed in front of my house with this shit at least 6-8 times. Ive tried doubling the strength of the mix but the grass/weeds still comes back a month or so later. I tried the stupid vinegar/epson salt/dish soap shit (all lies, doesnt work at all) and everything else I can think of.

Is there anything out there that will kill weeds/grass better than Roundup besides diesel fuel/gasoline? Something that you dont need a special permit to buy preferable.

Glyphosate (roundup) is working. You are after the residual. Glyphosate has none.

Roundup branded stuff has some extended control stuff that will have residual.

Primatol I think is available at stores. You might ask for something with residual grass control that you can mix with glyphosate.

Other than that you're looking at s-metachlor, acetachlor, or atrazine which you need a private or commercial applicators permit.

MTG#10
04-16-2017, 05:34 PM
Pramitol looks to be the stuff I need, thanks!

Pablo
04-16-2017, 05:36 PM
Just show the weeds a couple of your threads. They'll lose the will to live pretty quickly.

TribalElder
04-16-2017, 05:37 PM

Ask Alabama fans around the Auburn area

Bwana
04-16-2017, 05:48 PM
Kill it with fire.

http://23thorns.files.wordpress.com/2013/04/flamethrower.jpg (https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwixhZvmlKrTAhVH4oMKHQMJADkQjRwIBw&url=https%3A%2F%2Fforums.warframe.com%2Ftopic%2F420569-time-to-ditch-the-grakata-gasthrower-and-get-a-real-flamethrowerrevisualizationsee-you-made-the-gas-brighter-next-step-is-to-make-it-faster%2F&psig=AFQjCNHLy59XckMIt-9rtmzBHP6y9XhQmA&ust=1492472631698298)

Buehler445
04-16-2017, 06:10 PM
Pramitol looks to be the stuff I need, thanks!

Primatol can leech. Don't lay it on too thick or you may nuke the bushes.

RealSNR
04-16-2017, 06:21 PM
AIDS will do the trick

petegz28
04-16-2017, 06:52 PM
Paint Thinner...but I wouldn't put it on anything you don't want dead

Mike in SW-MO
04-16-2017, 07:25 PM

This.

After you hit it with the Roundup. Preen is a pre-emergent and will keep any new seeds from growing. It will not stop creepers like Bermuda grass from coming in however it.

Rain Man
04-16-2017, 07:59 PM
The Romans sowed salt into the earth in Carthage.

Bearcat
04-16-2017, 09:25 PM
AIDS will do the trick

Hi, my yard is mostly rock, with a few trees, but weeds have started to grow. What is the most effective way to spread this, and will it harm the trees? TIA.

Bugeater
04-16-2017, 09:31 PM
Hi, my yard is mostly rock, with a few trees, but weeds have started to grow. What is the most effective way to spread this, and will it harm the trees? TIA.
Just pour the contents of the DC forum evenly across your yard. It will be weed free in no time!

RealSNR
04-16-2017, 09:56 PM
Put some gloves on and pull the weeds out yourself.

Buehler445
04-16-2017, 10:00 PM
Put some gloves on and pull the weeds out yourself.

If you're down, I'm hiring. I'll even provide the hoe

BlackHelicopters
04-17-2017, 08:36 AM
Always use a pre emergent in late winter, early spring, depending on your location. Four weeks later use pre emergent again. When things begin to green up, forget roundup. Worthless shit. Use tordon three or four times during the late spring through the summer. If you want all grass, do this. Fertilize as needed. Consult your local INDEPENDENT nursery or farm store for fertilizer mixtures needed depending on time of year. Haven't seen a weed at my house in many years.

R8RFAN
04-17-2017, 12:20 PM
2 4 D

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk

KS Smitty
04-17-2017, 05:27 PM
Just pour the contents of the DC forum evenly across your yard. It will be weed free in no time!

I think with all the "fertilizer" over there the weeds would be unstoppable. :eek:

Buehler445
04-17-2017, 05:59 PM
I think with all the "fertilizer" over there the weeds would be unstoppable. :eek:

That much horsemanure would make it pretty hot.

Chief Roundup
04-17-2017, 06:28 PM
Chief Roundup....:D

scho63
04-18-2017, 10:25 AM
I know someone who uses generic bleach with hot water. Works like a charm.

Just don't get it all over your clothes or have a dog that will play in the area.

Stryker
04-18-2017, 10:34 AM
I like this stuff. Works well.

https://i5.walmartimages.com/asr/b9215c33-f37d-49b2-ac67-c4db9808799e_1.dab35ca3d1dde32b268e3d7696c1ba60.jpeg

Pennywise
04-18-2017, 11:50 AM
I use this for my fencerows. While roundup kills a lot of stuff, it also leaves behind the dead grass. This kills shit down to the roots and only leaves dirt.

http://www.domyownpestcontrol.com/eraser-41-weed-killer-herbicide-p-1535.html

Buehler445
04-18-2017, 11:55 AM
I like this stuff. Works well.

https://i5.walmartimages.com/asr/b9215c33-f37d-49b2-ac67-c4db9808799e_1.dab35ca3d1dde32b268e3d7696c1ba60.jpeg

That's roundup dog. (glyphosate)

Buehler445
04-18-2017, 11:56 AM
I use this for my fencerows. While roundup kills a lot of stuff, it also leaves behind the dead grass. This kills shit down to the roots and only leaves dirt.

http://www.domyownpestcontrol.com/eraser-41-weed-killer-herbicide-p-1535.html

Also roundup (glyphosate)

Pennywise
04-18-2017, 12:03 PM
Also roundup (glyphosate)

Its gotta have some different stuff in there to burn everything down to the dirt. Good info tho.

Buehler445
04-18-2017, 12:16 PM
Its gotta have some different stuff in there to burn everything down to the dirt. Good info tho.

It would have to be labeled as an active ingredients. It's probably just a stronger solution of the Roundup labeled stuff you used.

Reerun_KC
04-18-2017, 12:34 PM
I use Dithiopyr 40WSB and Amine 24D in early spring

MSMA -6plus and Amine 24D in Mid June, then 10 days later hit it again with MSMA...

Mid fall Ill hit it one final time with just Amine 24D to clean it up for the winter...

kccrow
04-18-2017, 05:41 PM
Ammonia. No more grass.

EDIT: Oh, forgot to mention... when the Nitrogen levels fall to acceptable you'll grow grass like a mofo. :D

04-18-2017, 05:54 PM
Esplanade herbicide. Very expensive but it has a 6 month residual.

https://www.backedbybayer.com/vegetation-management/ivm/esplanade-200-sc

It's a post and pre-emergent. I tried it this year with real good success. Spray everything and then cover with mulch.

04-18-2017, 05:58 PM

Lol n00b

04-18-2017, 06:03 PM
http://www.syngenta-us.com/labels/gramoxone-sl

Back in the 90's I used gramaxone lol this shit was the most powerful stuff. It had stench in it and had skull and crossbones on the label. Not very safe to use, but on a hot day the weeds would literally shrivel up in like 5 minutes.

Mike in SW-MO
04-18-2017, 09:16 PM
Just looked up our go-to herbicide for Canadian thistle back in the 80's. Undiluted paraquat in a spray jug.

Funny literature nowadays. Fatal. Only licensed applicators. Cannot be used in residential areas.

Here I was using it first summer after high school wearing a tank top, sitting on the tailgate of the old farm truck while the farm supe drove. Good times. Hardly twitch at all anymore.

Buehler445
04-18-2017, 10:13 PM

It's a post and pre-emergent. I tried it this year with real good success. Spray everything and then cover with mulch.

Yeah, that's some mean shit.

http://www.syngenta-us.com/labels/gramoxone-sl

Back in the 90's I used gramaxone lol this shit was the most powerful stuff. It had stench in it and had skull and crossbones on the label. Not very safe to use, but on a hot day the weeds would literally shrivel up in like 5 minutes.

Just looked up our go-to herbicide for Canadian thistle back in the 80's. Undiluted paraquat in a spray jug.

Funny literature nowadays. Fatal. Only licensed applicators. Cannot be used in residential areas.

Here I was using it first summer after high school wearing a tank top, sitting on the tailgate of the old farm truck while the farm supe drove. Good times. Hardly twitch at all anymore.

Paraquat is nasty shit. I've sprayed 1000's of gallons of it and hated every minute of it. The skull and crossbones is no funny shit. It kills both weeds and you by oxidizing cells. The stuff you get from syngenta or wherever has a lot of safeners in it, but even then you have to wear full on rubber gloves, long sleeves, eye protection and a respirator. The pure shit that is in powder form that they refine up is really nasty shit. They had a problem with people getting ahold of it and swallowing some to commit suicide because it is fool proof.

Nasty nasty shit. But holy hell does it electrify kochia.

Don't use it for residental use. It's essentially like mowing. Unless weeds are in the reproductive stage, they'll just grow back.

BWillie
04-18-2017, 11:50 PM
all I know is I dont want to do any outdoor landscaping or lawn maintenance, ever again. I have a few diff properties and if anyone knows a good landscaper or lawn guy that will do it ALL for one monthly fee let me know. in jo co. I want them to mow, trim shrubs, weed eat, kill weeds, put preemergent, ariate, put seed down on bare spots. I dont want to ****ing do anything, ever. I dont want to tell them when to do it. I just want them to fucking do it. just want to pay some swinging dick to do it

plaze halp

Nickhead
04-19-2017, 12:39 AM
now, i am not joking when i say this, but hot tap water is all you need. you could boil some water depending on your application.

we have four cats, so i have converted a bath tub into a rinse-able litter box because cat litter is too expensive. (patent pending :D). anyways. when we added the shower and toilet downstairs, our dumbass tradie tapped the hot water line to add a spout on the deck. well, on our deck we have many plant and herb boxes. i told the boys they could use the hot water when it is cold, to rinse the cat gravel, but not to leave water in the hose. relieve the pressure. well they were putting the hot water in our rosemary herb box, and it slowly died down. once we realized it was the hot water killing the plant it came back to good.

google it, it works.

:D

04-19-2017, 05:02 AM
Yeah, that's some mean shit.

Paraquat is nasty shit. I've sprayed 1000's of gallons of it and hated every minute of it. The skull and crossbones is no funny shit. It kills both weeds and you by oxidizing cells. The stuff you get from syngenta or wherever has a lot of safeners in it, but even then you have to wear full on rubber gloves, long sleeves, eye protection and a respirator. The pure shit that is in powder form that they refine up is really nasty shit. They had a problem with people getting ahold of it and swallowing some to commit suicide because it is fool proof.

Nasty nasty shit. But holy hell does it electrify kochia.

Don't use it for residental use. It's essentially like mowing. Unless weeds are in the reproductive stage, they'll just grow back.

I took a bath with that shit in 1991 when the spray handle came off the end of the hose under pressure on a 4 gallon tank �� it was 98 degrees out and my douche boss was like "you'll be ok, just wash your shirt with water" that douche got a lil drop of sevin down the crack in his ass and was crying he had to go home later that week.

Stopped using that in the late 90's. Round up quick pro (the granular) is what I use now

HemiEd
04-20-2017, 07:09 AM

I put the Merit down this morning. We are supposed to get a lot of rain the next two days. Saw signs of skunks digging for grubs while mowing last night.

Also, per the thread question, I recently purchased and used a product called Brushtox http://raganandmassey.com/brand/brushtox/ to clean up those vines with thorns like rose bushes growing in the last nasty area of our property.

This was cattle territory 70 years ago and I heard they planted that crap as cheap fencing.

notorious
04-20-2017, 07:37 AM
All of this chemical talk reminds me how many farmers and applicators die from exposure around 55-65 years of age.

My dad was insane about not letting me mix batches when spraying fields. He would always do it to cut down on my exposure.

Be careful with it guys. That stuff will rape you.

HonestChieffan
04-20-2017, 07:39 AM
Preen. Safe. Easy. Will stop grasses germinating. Sprsy roundup on the emerged stuff then Preen the beds. If you have a good garden center look for Snapshot. It will give control of grasses and broadleaves

Buehler445
04-20-2017, 07:43 AM
All of this chemical talk reminds me how many farmers and applicators die from exposure around 55-65 years of age.

My dad was insane about not letting me mix batches when spraying fields. He would always do it to cut down on my exposure.

Be careful with it guys. That stuff will rape you.

I just bought a closed flow tender system for that very reason.

BucEyedPea
04-20-2017, 07:43 AM
Just show the weeds a couple of your threads. They'll lose the will to live pretty quickly.

ROFL

BucEyedPea
04-20-2017, 07:46 AM
now, i am not joking when i say this, but hot tap water is all you need. you could boil some water depending on your application.

Was hoping he'd go for the gasoline, then light some matches. That will kill it too. :)

04-20-2017, 10:57 AM
I put the Merit down this morning. We are supposed to get a lot of rain the next two days. Saw signs of skunks digging for grubs while mowing last night.

Also, per the thread question, I recently purchased and used a product called Brushtox http://raganandmassey.com/brand/brushtox/ to clean up those vines with thorns like rose bushes growing in the last nasty area of our property.

This was cattle territory 70 years ago and I heard they planted that crap as cheap fencing.

Ok you should be good to go. For vines and woody plants I used to use 4% Accord xrt II 4% basil oil and 2% garlon 4 ultra. A nasty concoction. You can't really spray that mixture around trees when the temps go above 80 degrees. It will vaporize and go up into the canopy and damage the foliage. I've sprayed kudzu on north brothers island (that's where Typhoid Mary died) with that concoction and no follow up treatment was necessary lol

BWillie
04-20-2017, 06:31 PM
I've heard vinegar, salt, and dish washer soap will kill weeds and make your land barren in the future. That would be AWESOME. Going to try it. Anyone else ever tried it? Yahoos on the internet say it's more effective than RoundUp. I've had horrible luck with Roundup. It doesn't seem to work very well, at all. And, it's toxic to humans.

Buehler445
04-20-2017, 06:44 PM
I've heard vinegar, salt, and dish washer soap will kill weeds and make your land barren in the future. That would be AWESOME. Going to try it. Anyone else ever tried it? Yahoos on the internet say it's more effective than RoundUp. I've had horrible luck with Roundup. It doesn't seem to work very well, at all. And, it's toxic to humans.

Roundup is weak sauce. Yeah, if you drink 100 gallons it won't be good, but same goes for salt.

Buehler445
04-20-2017, 06:49 PM
Yo dogshizzle. Table salt is more toxic than roundup. Not shitting.

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/pi170

'Hamas' Jenkins
04-20-2017, 06:59 PM
Yo dogshizzle. Table salt is more toxic than roundup. Not shitting.

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/pi170

I wouldn't put too much credence on that information.

First, LD50 is only used on animals, not humans, because you can't kill human beings when testing drugs unless you're the Reich. Thus, when measuring toxicity for human consumption, you need to consider TD50. Also, he didn't mention that there are different measurements of toxicity, like the standard safety margin.

I've also seen in my own Tox classes that the LD of salt is actually closer to 4000mg/kg (not that it matters that much). But what is important is that glyphosate is an endocrine disruptor, so even if it doesn't kill you, there have been a number of studies demonstrating that it can cause longterm consequences like cancer, as early as the mid 80s. Those were later called into some question, but the WHO has recently published information indicating that glyphosate likely is fairly toxic.

'Hamas' Jenkins
04-20-2017, 07:03 PM

I did it about 8 or 9 years ago. It burns the leaves (acidity of the vinegar) and dessicates them. If you want to kill them for good without "chemicals", you could literally salt the soil.

Buehler445
04-20-2017, 07:08 PM
I wouldn't put too much credence on that information.

First, LD50 is only used on animals, not humans, because you can't kill human beings when testing drugs unless you're the Reich. Thus, when measuring toxicity for human consumption, you need to consider TD50. Also, he didn't mention that there are different measurements of toxicity, like the standard safety margin.

I've also seen in my own Tox classes that the LD of salt is actually closer to 4000mg/kg (not that it matters that much). But what is important is that glyphosate is an endocrine disruptor, so even if it doesn't kill you, there have been a number of studies demonstrating that it can cause longterm consequences like cancer, as early as the mid 80s. Those were later called into some question, but the WHO has recently published information indicating that glyphosate likely is fairly toxic.

Right. I'm not drinking it and I use proper PPE (and just bought a closed flow tender system), but I get tired of the CHEMICALS ARE KILLING EVERYBODY UP IN THIS BITCH fucking nonsense that is popular to spew about these days. I will concede that overapplication/improper use in residential applications can be problematic.