PDA

View Full Version : Heres a good game to watch on Watson

Titty Meat
04-24-2017, 06:43 PM
https://youtu.be/4klc-1-Brvc

This one has it all. 3:41 is an awful red zone INT and 10:55 is a horrible pass thats picked off.l will say if hes a noodle arm I dont notice it this game. Shows some zip for the td at 7:25. A few plays before he shows some zip while on the run. This guy is the best QB prospecf in the pocket from ive watched. Unlike Alex Smith he can make throws outside the numbers too.

This is the guy I want. Great fit for this offense go ahead and flame me :)

BossChief
04-24-2017, 06:50 PM
Mahomes
Watson

Trubiski

Webb
Kizer

I think Mahomes and Watson are near perfect fits, but Watson might be ready faster than Mahomes.

I'm gonna be thrilled with whoever they pick at QB, though.

If Andy and John are sold on a guy, I trust their judgement 100%.

The Franchise
04-24-2017, 07:16 PM
Mahomes

Kizer
Watson

Webb

Coogs
04-24-2017, 07:23 PM
My short list for Thursday night is,

Watson
Mahomes

One of those two.

Titty Meat
04-24-2017, 08:21 PM
Did yall watch the video though? I'm not expert but I've watched several games on Davis Webb. There's some talent there but he's so bad against the blitz. Mahomes has a cannon but there's alottt of work to be done. Like I said Watsons my favorite now. There's some things to fix but he looks great in the pocket.

O.city
04-24-2017, 08:24 PM
Weak ass arm. No thanks

Black Bob
04-24-2017, 08:29 PM
Watch the Alabama game again. Watch how many times he gets hit. Watch how hard he gets hit. What he was able to do after the punishment he took was amazing. The only comparison I can think of was Favre in the New Orleans bounty gate playoff game.

Titty Meat
04-24-2017, 09:42 PM
Weak ass arm. No thanks

You didnt watch the video and keep repeating the same line based on arm velocity which has already proven to be flawed.

O.city
04-24-2017, 09:51 PM
You didnt watch the video and keep repeating the same line based on arm velocity which has already proven to be flawed.

He threw alot of picks based in his weak arm.

He'd be the only guy since 08 to throw that low and be successful. I'm not about an outlier.

O.city
04-24-2017, 09:52 PM
How has it been proven flawed?

Coogs
04-25-2017, 04:55 AM

53.5 on Sports Science. Says he throws flat footed is reason why. If he learns to use his feet, his velocity will increase.

Titty Meat
04-25-2017, 07:28 AM

Watch the tape man. The INT's I've seen him throw were either because his footwork was wrong or he simply didn't see the defender. Like I said this game has everything the good, bad, and ugly.

Titty Meat
04-25-2017, 07:30 AM
53.5 on Sports Science. Says he throws flat footed is reason why. If he learns to use his feet, his velocity will increase.

http://www.espn.com/videohub/video/clip/_/id/19209620/categoryid/2378529

O.city
04-25-2017, 07:32 AM

That's still below 55, which has been the threshold.

Tribal Warfare
04-25-2017, 07:59 AM

And 49 mph in front of FO personnel at the combine.

chiefscafan
04-25-2017, 08:25 AM
You know what I hope NFL GMs are as dumb as you and let Watson fall we won't regret drafting him. He's gonna win championships for us trust me I haven't felt this strong bout a QB since Russel Wilson.

RunKC
04-25-2017, 08:32 AM
FWIW they were talking on NFLN about velocity and the one thing that can counteract that deficiency? Quick release.

Watson has got that.

chiefscafan
04-25-2017, 08:41 AM
Dan Marino had a quick release too so does Bree's that can overcome the velocity problems trust me we won't regret drafting him.

O.city
04-25-2017, 09:06 AM
If we're going in on a qb prospect and asking him to have dree Brees or Marinos release, I feel like we won't be happy.

He does have a quick release and I won't be upset if thy take him, at all.

But with that lack of velocity, he's gonna have to have damn near perfect mechanics, anticipation and release.

Titty Meat
04-25-2017, 09:12 AM
Yeah I wouldnt put Watson in the Brees/Marino category. I would say hes slightly better than Alex Smith.

RunKC
04-25-2017, 09:16 AM
Watson reminds me of Marriotta, who was also compared to Alex.

Our offense is intermediate and screen throws so Watson's arm won't have to do much work like it would if he was in an offense like Arizona's.

The guy has a decent arm. It's not weak.

O.city
04-25-2017, 09:19 AM
Yeah I wouldnt put Watson in the Brees/Marino category. I would say hes slightly better than Alex Smith.

That's the thing, if we can even get an Alex smith clone at like a 4th of the cost, that would help. It's not ideal, but it's better.

O.city
04-25-2017, 09:20 AM
Watson reminds me of Marriotta, who was also compared to Alex.

Our offense is intermediate and screen throws so Watson's arm won't have to do much work like it would if he was in an offense like Arizona's.

The guy has a decent arm. It's not weak.

It's pretty weak. It's Pennington territory. Put that into the cold and wind in kc in the winter and it's not getting any stronger.

Coogs
04-25-2017, 09:33 AM
And 49 mph in front of FO personnel at the combine.maybe he was concentrating on doing the drills correctly, and throwing the ball so the receivers could catch it. Some of the guys who were firing fastballs were missing their receivers by several yards.

Coogs
04-25-2017, 09:34 AM
He threw alot of picks based in his weak arm.

He'd be the only guy since 08 to throw that low and be successful. I'm not about an outlier.

53.5 is not an outlier.

49, yes. But 49 is apparently not his fastball.

O.city
04-25-2017, 09:47 AM
53.5 is not an outlier.

49, yes. But 49 is apparently not his fastball.

55 is the baseline mph so yes, 53 is an outlier.

Titty Meat
04-25-2017, 09:50 AM
55 is the baseline mph so yes, 53 is an outlier.

Silva said anything below 50

O.city
04-25-2017, 09:51 AM
One guy has been successful since 08, when they started recording mph, throwing under 55. Tyrod at 54.

Guys don't have to have a howitzer, but there has to be a baseline met of arm strength.

DJ's left nut
04-25-2017, 10:09 AM

Man, that's a lot less comprehensive than I'd hoped it would be when we were getting all that stuff trickling out on Twitter about it.

They don't talk about Mahomes or Webb for some reason and frankly they don't do much detail work except for the 30 seconds on Kizer.

Surely there's something more out there than that. That was really underwhelming.

DJ's left nut
04-25-2017, 10:18 AM
FWIW they were talking on NFLN about velocity and the one thing that can counteract that deficiency? Quick release.

Watson has got that.

.5 hundredths of a second quicker than average.

Five. Hundredths. That's simply not enough to make up for an objectively poor arm.

Remember that he loses about .15 seconds vs. Mahomes on a 20 yard throw (or a roughly 15 yard out from the near hashmarks; forget about throwing to the far hash with sub-standard arm strength).

So he makes up a third of that with his release? So he goes from having a ball that's 4 feet behind Mahomes at the same moment in time to a ball that's 2.5 ft behind; still more than enough for a CB to drive on it and knock it away.

And compared to Webb he'd be about .11 seconds behind so he'd cut it in half. It was about 2.8 ft down to a foot and half or so; still enough for a window to close on a basic 10 yard out.

That arm strength is worrisome as hell and you're whistling past the graveyard if you just ignore it. No, the release is not enough to make up for it; you're relying on him simply having better anticipation than everyone else and I don't know why you would do that. He didn't run a complicated offense and he made more poor decisions/throws than anyone in college football over the past year or two. The guy has red flags everywhere.

BUT HE'S A WINNER!!!!!

DJ's left nut
04-25-2017, 10:20 AM
One guy has been successful since 08, when they started recording mph, throwing under 55. Tyrod at 54.

Guys don't have to have a howitzer, but there has to be a baseline met of arm strength.

And Dane pegged this 4 months ago when he said that Watson's ceiling was Tyrod. I kinda pinched my chin and nodded a bit when I read that, but didn't give it much more thought than that.

As draft season has continued, it looks positively prescient. He's Tyrod Taylor without the good sense to realize when he shouldn't be throwing it. Doesn't that just kinda make him a taller, less doucherockety Johnny Manziel?

Tribal Warfare
04-25-2017, 10:23 AM
maybe he was concentrating on doing the drills correctly, and throwing the ball so the receivers could catch it. Some of the guys who were firing fastballs were missing their receivers by several yards.

:facepalm:

Making excuses already

Coogs
04-25-2017, 10:26 AM
:facepalm:

Making excuses already

No, not really. Just looking for discussion.

DJ's left nut
04-25-2017, 10:38 AM
No, not really. Just looking for discussion.

If he has to dial a throw down that much to make it accurately, isn't that just as damning as the possibility that he doesn't throw it much harder than that?

I'm not convinced that 49 mph is as hard as he can possibly throw because jesus, most decent HS quarterbacks can throw harder than that.

But I'm worried that in a situation where he knew he was on the radar, that was what he put forward. Why? And if nothing else, doesn't that tell you that he doesn't have the 'easy velocity' that you see from the truly elite guys? For instance, when they're talking about his release on those passes, how much zip is he actually getting on those? If he throws 49 when he dials it down to the .35 seconds, it doesn't do you a ton of good; you give back the gains. And if he's at .60 when he tries to rifle it at 53, you're equally boned.

But someone who just naturally snaps the ball off (i.e. Mahomes) is going to look great in all those drills.

That's why I say that the SS clip just isn't comprehensive enough. What's the respective velocities on their quickest release times. What's the respective release times on their quickest throws? Or deepest throws? We really learned absolutely nothing from that and that's fairly disappointing.

But we still know that on a timed throw, Watson did exceptionally poorly and like it or not, there's a reason there. We may not know what it is, but it cannot possibly be a good thing.

The Franchise
04-25-2017, 11:29 AM
Surprised me that Kizer got it out in .36 seconds. Dude needs to work on his mechanics though.