PDA

View Full Version : Misc Take your child to work day

Sorce
04-27-2017, 11:54 AM
Does your work do this? Do you participate?

I dread this day every year, hard to concentrate with little people running around making noise. Then the parents who bring their kids are pretty much just trying to entertain their kids and not actually working.

Am I just a cranky person who dislikes other people's kids or am I justified to be annoyed. Also will Roger Goodell be bringing his kids to work tonight?

notorious
04-27-2017, 11:55 AM
I take my 5 year old to work every once in a while.

He either produces or he gets the belt.

Pennywise
04-27-2017, 11:58 AM

Well in his defense, 5 years old is a bit young to be laying wood.

Rooster
04-27-2017, 11:59 AM
I have heard of it but never worked anywhere that actually did it.

Couch-Potato
04-27-2017, 12:00 PM
Don't.

Dayze
04-27-2017, 12:01 PM
wife wife took my niece to her work one time for this deal a year or so ago when she was like 10 (my niece, not my wife)

my wife put her to work all day; filing stuff, making labels for folders, printing and making binders, organizing a supply closet, etc. my nice was like "man...work is not fun at all" LMAO

when the take your kid to work came up the next year, my nice was like "no thanks, i'd rather just go to school" lol.

SAUTO
04-27-2017, 12:04 PM

Mine's not quite 5 yet but he comes for at least a couple hours every morning. Then he hitches a ride to day care when I go on a test drive. (Day care is two blocks away lol) and there is always something cool to drive.

notorious
04-27-2017, 12:07 PM
Mine's not quite 5 yet but he comes for at least a couple hours every morning. Then he hitches a ride to day care when I go on a test drive. (Day care is two blocks away lol) and there is always something cool to drive.

Nothing is cooler than the little guy getting to hang out out with his dad at work.

ChiTown
04-27-2017, 12:07 PM
Not a cranky ****er at all, but having a day where everyone brings their kid to work is just plain stupid, imo. You might as well just call it a vacation day, and I'll just stay home.

MahiMike
04-27-2017, 12:10 PM
I'm WFH today. I'll have him look over my shoulder.

The Franchise
04-27-2017, 12:10 PM
We don't have that at my office. All the people I work with are all too old to have kids and I'm not bringing mine into work with me.

Trivers
04-27-2017, 12:15 PM
We do it all the time. I want their children to see what their parents do.

More important, I want the daughters to see what MOM does so they have different roles models than shown on TV.

We have a room set aside as a play room with couches, tables, TV and XBox. Keeps them out of our hair...92% of the time. :)

Sorce
04-27-2017, 12:19 PM
And now there's crying... headphone time.

ChiTown
04-27-2017, 12:20 PM
We do it all the time. I want their children to see what their parents do.

More important, I want the daughters to see what MOM does so they have different roles models than shown on TV.

We have a room set aside as a play room with couches, tables, TV and XBox. Keeps them out of our hair...92% of the time. :)

https://media0.giphy.com/media/CDJo4EgHwbaPS/giphy.gif

You want them to see what Mom does so they have a good, positive role model, so you keep them in a room 92% of the time with a TV and an XBox?

Lzen
04-27-2017, 12:20 PM
I have done that. They used to do it every year but anymore they might do it every other year. Brought my boys to work with me on that day a couple of times when they were young. They are both adults and out on their own now. My 15 year old daughter still asks me about it every year. They do have an age limit. This may be her last year.

My organization really does it up. We spend half the day going on tours to different sites within the organization. Some demonstrations are actually pretty cool. The other half of the day my kid just hangs with me at the lab while I do my work. Even with other kids around it's not that bad. In my line of work we are kind of used to giving occasional tours anyway.

Rain Man
04-27-2017, 12:30 PM
That's why you want a job working with high voltage.

alpha_omega
04-27-2017, 12:30 PM
Yep, but he is working on his homework while I do my regular gig.

allen_kcCard
04-27-2017, 12:31 PM
My company does it, and there are loads of them here, but my kids school does not embrace it do we don't mess with it lately. This week they are actually doing standardized testing and end of year exams at the middle and high schools for mine, so it would have been a pain in the ass for them to miss.

Lzen
04-27-2017, 12:32 PM
That's why you want a job working with high voltage.

ROFL

Lzen
04-27-2017, 12:33 PM
My company does it, and there are loads of them here, but my kids school does not embrace it do we don't mess with it lately. This week they are actually doing standardized testing and end of year exams at the middle and high schools for mine, so it would have been a pain in the ass for them to miss.

My work usually does it in the summer when the kids are on summer break.

Dunit35
I don't think my work as a LEO would be ideal for my two toddlers. My back seat has had some nasty people in it.

Hydrae
I haven't worked where they do that in quite a while but one place did and they did it right. They actually had the kids involved in making a short video about what we did and their impression of what they had seen earlier in the day. It was actually pretty cool and while the kids were there I was still able to get a fair amount of work done while they were off doing group things.

raybec 4
04-27-2017, 12:57 PM
I'm the Plant Manager in a factory in the Fairfax district. OSHA would not approve.

Hoover
04-27-2017, 01:06 PM
My little dude loves to come to the office. There is always stuff he wants to do there. And when I'm busy I just let one of the young gals entertain him.

Rooster
04-27-2017, 01:08 PM
I'm the Plant Manager in a factory in the Fairfax district. OSHA would not approve.

Just get some little hard hats and safety glasses. :)

Mr_Tomahawk
04-27-2017, 01:10 PM
I surprised my oldest at school with some good 'ol McDonalds during lunch.

Then I went back to work and got shit done.

Loneiguana
04-27-2017, 01:17 PM
Could I? Yeah.

I work in an open public building that has multiple school trips visiting and roaming the halls every single day. (Jan. - May).

Numerous other positions bring their kids to work when other things fall through and they have no one to watch them and no one bats an eye. Heck, we even allow non service dogs.

Would I? I don't know. If I had to, sure. There are enough people who love little kids around the building to keep her entertained.

notorious
04-27-2017, 01:24 PM
The best part is when the kids get to knock down beers with you at the bar after work.

Dayze
04-27-2017, 01:27 PM
The best part is when the kids get to knock down beers with you at the bar after work.

"Daddy calls this (cracks a beer) his 'homework'"

ChiTown
04-27-2017, 01:28 PM

:D - that's how we roll at my empire. Then again, we call "kids" 20-ish, blonde, big-tittied secretaries....

notorious
04-27-2017, 01:28 PM
"Daddy calls this (cracks a beer) his 'homework'"

LMAO

Bugeater
04-27-2017, 02:16 PM
Years ago when I worked in construction some idiot decided this was a good idea. Didn't go over very well when the job superintendent showed up on site and found his kids crawling all over the scaffolding.

It's not a bad idea in theory but it's probably a good idea to clear it with your employer first.

Bugeater
04-27-2017, 02:18 PM
Could I? Yeah.

I work in an open public building that has multiple school trips visiting and roaming the halls every single day. (Jan. - May).

Numerous other positions bring their kids to work when other things fall through and they have no one to watch them and no one bats an eye. Heck, we even allow non service dogs.

Would I? I don't know. If I had to, sure. There are enough people who love little kids around the building to keep her entertained.
Weren't you were the one that posted the meme about having a job was an outdated concept? What's up with that?

SAUTO
04-27-2017, 02:34 PM
Nothing is cooler than the little guy getting to hang out out with his dad at work.

He's got his own little tool box and a matco work hat lol

ClevelandBronco
04-27-2017, 02:40 PM
When it changed from Take Your Daughter to Work Day to Take Your Child to Work Day, I stopped. Screw mindless inclusion.

Dayze
04-27-2017, 02:47 PM
He's got his own little tool box and a matco work hat lol

I bet the local Snap-On Vendor/rep has them for sale for $129.99

eDave
04-27-2017, 02:48 PM
I work from home. So every day. If I had one.

SAUTO
04-27-2017, 02:52 PM
I bet the local Snap-On Vendor/rep has them for sale for $129.99

Lol. 12 bucks

ChiTown
04-27-2017, 02:53 PM
I work from home. So every day. If I had one.

I used to work out of my house when my kids were little. It was pretty cool having them in my office, or nearby. However, they wanted to be in my office a little too much, since my office was adjacent to their play area in the house. So, I eventually had to leave the house to be more productive. I will say, that it was fun for a while though.

Beef Supreme
04-27-2017, 02:55 PM
I don't have kids, but I bring my dogs to work almost every day. They are much better behaved than most people's kids, however.

seclark
04-27-2017, 03:01 PM
no way in hell would i ever have brought my kids to work.
sec

Frazod
04-27-2017, 03:07 PM
I work at a law firm. So every day is like this, except the toddlers can fire you. :D

Loneiguana
04-27-2017, 03:34 PM
Weren't you were the one that posted the meme about having a job was an outdated concept? What's up with that?

No. Try reading it again.

Bugeater
04-27-2017, 03:46 PM
No. Try reading it again.Yes, it was you. You don't even believe your own bullshit.

mdchiefsfan
04-27-2017, 04:12 PM
They just ran one at my office today, actually. They had the dept. heads all coach on some work skills and such. I just don't understand why all these little fuckers were missing school when the same dept. heads preach education when interviewing.

SAUTO
04-27-2017, 04:15 PM
I don't have kids, but I bring my dogs to work almost every day. They are much better behaved than most people's kids, however.

Lol, I bring one of mine every day. She's gonna be the shop dog.

loochy
04-27-2017, 04:16 PM
I don't think kids would enjoy attending kaizen events regarding potential points of failure in the process we use to send drawing revisions to our suppliers.

scho63
04-27-2017, 06:08 PM
Does this count? :hmmm:

http://images.newseveryday.com/data/images/full/18864/woodyandsoonyi-getty-images.jpg

Frazod
04-27-2017, 06:13 PM
Does this count? :hmmm:

http://images.newseveryday.com/data/images/full/18864/woodyandsoonyi-getty-images.jpg

http://gifrific.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/disgusted-clint-eastwood.gif

frozenchief
04-27-2017, 06:30 PM
I am an attorney and I have taken all my kids with me to work. I avoid going on days when I have to go to the jail to visit clients or have hearings that are beyond what they need to be hearing.

When my son was about 6 or 7 (he's now 13), he came with me to work on a day when I had simple bail hearing. I just needed the court to sign an order and we would be on our way. Court was already in session because arraignments start at 2:00 and bail hearings start at 2:30. I get there and the court is pretty packed so my son goes with me beyond the bar so he can get through the chairs and get a seat on the far side of the court room. The judge was at a break in the proceedings so he asked me who I brought and I told him my son. He welcomed my son and did the usual "thanks for coming, etc."

My son is well behaved and he did well sitting there for about 20 minutes until my case was called. A friend of mine who runs a bonding agency was there and my son was sitting with her. We finish the case and again, there are too many people for him to go down the row to get outside so he has to go through the courtroom well (where the lawyers are) to get out.

The judge sees him and thanks him for sitting quietly and then asks what he thought. My son says, "Well, I am glad my dad can has a job to make some money but I thought it was really boring."

Thanks, son.