PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Ryan Leaf has turned into a fine person

Red Dawg
04-30-2017, 08:25 AM
His OTL aired today and it was very good. Nice to see him turn his life around. I highly recommend giving it a look.

Spott
04-30-2017, 08:29 AM
Proud to say I sat through that rainy game in '98 and watched the worst performance by a QB that I've ever seen. SD literally stopped passing the ball because he was so bad.

notorious
04-30-2017, 08:29 AM
Dan Patrick has interviewed him several times. He has helped a lot of people.

Sure-Oz
04-30-2017, 08:35 AM
Hope they re air it.

stumppy
04-30-2017, 08:47 AM
Good for him.

notorious
04-30-2017, 08:51 AM
It really is amazing. He owns all of his baggage and acknowledges his vices.

He even said to Dan that if he had succeeded at football, he wouldn't have helped all the people that he has. He looks at it as a blessing that he failed in the NFL!

Ryan is truly a humble person.

Red Dawg
04-30-2017, 09:01 AM
Hope they re air it.

Second part on now. ESPN news

Red Dawg
04-30-2017, 09:04 AM
My bad, it's on again from beginning.

Why Not?
04-30-2017, 09:25 AM
Heard an interview with him last night. Great story. I agree with notorious, he totally owns all of it and really seems to have changed his life. Good for him

wazu
04-30-2017, 09:31 AM
I lived in San Diego when he was there. Sports radio was entertaining. I remember one time he got hurt playing in a flag football tournament during the season. A guy called in who said his team played against Leaf, and Ryan threw six interceptions.

KChiefs1
04-30-2017, 10:09 AM
I was at the game that basically ended his career.

The Chiefs defense & Arrowhead were very menacing that day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mr. Laz
04-30-2017, 10:10 AM
yep, he has really gotten his shit together.

Just hope that it stays that way

KChiefs1
04-30-2017, 10:11 AM
Hope they re air it.

It's on again at noon on ESPNNews.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

suzzer99
04-30-2017, 10:41 AM
Isn't this like the 3rd time he's had to get his shit together? I remember watching Real Sports like 10+ years ago and how great he was doing. Then he gets busted for stealing prescription meds out of someone's cabinet or w/e.

Bwana
04-30-2017, 10:43 AM
Really? I figured he would be one of those guys that never connected the dots and would be gone soon or be hanging out in jail for the rest of his life. With that said, good for him, I wish him the best.

CoMoChief
04-30-2017, 10:51 AM
Proud to say I sat through that rainy game in '98 and watched the worst performance by a QB that I've ever seen. SD literally stopped passing the ball because he was so bad.

Sounds a lot like Matt Cassel in 2012 vs Baltimore.

We didn't pass the ball...at all. And Cassel still managed to get benched. People said he got hurt. BS..watch the play he wasn't concussed..they took him out because he was hot garbage.

Fans cheered. Eric Winston cried. Javon Belcher died. And The Save our Chiefs movement came out the victor.

TLO
04-30-2017, 01:01 PM
Good for him

Rasputin
04-30-2017, 01:09 PM
It really is amazing. He owns all of his baggage and acknowledges his vices.

He even said to Dan that if he had succeeded at football, he wouldn't have helped all the people that he has. He looks at it as a blessing that he failed in the NFL!

Ryan is truly a humble person.

I like to think the Chiefs have a part in this.

GloucesterChief
04-30-2017, 01:10 PM
Leaf had all the talent in the world, just not the emotional maturity to capitalize on it.

notorious
04-30-2017, 01:14 PM
I like to think the Chiefs have a part in this.

LMAO

Derrick Thomas saved lives.

Prison Bitch
04-30-2017, 01:26 PM
Isn't this like the 3rd time he's had to get his shit together? I remember watching Real Sports like 10+ years ago and how great he was doing. Then he gets busted for stealing prescription meds out of someone's cabinet or w/e.

That's why you can't ever trust an addict. You hope they're in the 1/2 or so who stay clean but it's a coin flip.

PAChiefsGuy
04-30-2017, 01:33 PM
That's why you can't ever trust an addict. You hope they're in the 1/2 or so who stay clean but it's a coin flip.

That's true. It's all about mental toughness when it comes to addicts and not many of them are able to stay sober but it can happen. Look at Robert Downing Jr he was a big-time cokehead but he turned his life around and is now very successful. Hopefully Ryan Leaf can do the same.

Ryan Leaf always came off to me as a jerk but people can change. If he can turn his life around and help people beat their addictions that'd be great.

rico
04-30-2017, 01:35 PM
Sounds a lot like Matt Cassel in 2012 vs Baltimore.

We didn't pass the ball...at all. And Cassel still managed to get benched. People said he got hurt. BS..watch the play he wasn't concussed..they took him out because he was hot garbage.

Fans cheered. Eric Winston cried. Javon Belcher died. And The Save our Chiefs movement came out the victor.

That first drive in that game was surreal. That first drive was maddening. They rushed the ball all the way to the 1 or 2 yard line and Cassel STILL managed to screw up by fumbling the ball.

rico
04-30-2017, 01:38 PM
I hope Leaf stays on the right path. Dude has enough baggage in his life being labeled the biggest bust of all time (which that label should go to Jamarcus now).

wazu
04-30-2017, 01:46 PM
I hope Leaf stays on the right path. Dude has enough baggage in his life being labeled the biggest bust of all time (which that label should go to Jamarcus now).

No, it's still Leaf. He was the "either/or" to Peyton Manning. His flame-out was far more dramatic.

frozenchief
04-30-2017, 01:48 PM
Thought-provoking read from him here:

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/ryan-leaf-nfl-letter-to-my-younger-self/

He seems to have realized what an ass he was.

sully1983
04-30-2017, 02:02 PM
I wish him well

Pasta Little Brioni
04-30-2017, 02:06 PM
Phony

Rasputin
04-30-2017, 02:07 PM
LMAO

Derrick Thomas saved lives.

Wasn't Gunther Cunningham our DC at that time? I think he deserves a Humanitarian award of some kind.

wazu
04-30-2017, 02:16 PM

Wow! Unbelievable write-up. Great read!

Demonpenz
04-30-2017, 02:26 PM
Good for him. There is lots of good quarterbacks but that story will be unique for sure.

Bwana
04-30-2017, 02:44 PM

Good read.

Rain Man
04-30-2017, 04:53 PM

Interesting read. There's still some ego coded in there, but that's understandable.

I feel sorry for guys with the "bust" label, especially quarterbacks. We've all had our own failures, but most of us can escape them because they're not broadcast constantly to the world.

rico
04-30-2017, 06:00 PM
Interesting read. There's still some ego coded in there, but that's understandable.

I feel sorry for guys with the "bust" label, especially quarterbacks. We've all had our own failures, but most of us can escape them because they're not broadcast constantly to the world.

Can you elaborate on this? I read the entire article and caught fragments of the same vibe, but I can't pinpoint exactly why....

Rain Man
04-30-2017, 06:54 PM
Can you elaborate on this? I read the entire article and caught fragments of the same vibe, but I can't pinpoint exactly why....

Yeah, it's hard to pinpoint, and to some extent it may be fair. At one point he had a lot to be prideful about. There were just a few comments like saying his brother would've given anything to be like him, and some comments that the external environment made him into a jerk, that kind of rub me wrong as a reader. The same environment didn't do the same thing to others.

But that's just a minor quibble. I hope he thrives going forward.

WhawhaWhat
04-30-2017, 07:21 PM

Drug addiction never ends.

ClevelandBronco
04-30-2017, 07:36 PM
Interesting read. There's still some ego coded in there ...

I think I detect it right about here:

"The real Ryan Leaf is comfortable in his own skin and doesn’t care what anybody thinks about him, as long as he feels good about himself.

Fact is, Ryan, that it's never really been about you and how you feel about yourself. If it was really all about that, the only trick you'd have had to learn was how to feel good about being an asshole.

Glad you aren't trying to be one anymore, though. You sound like you're a work in progress, and that's good enough.

PAChiefsGuy
04-30-2017, 08:24 PM

Exactly. My friend beat alcoholism. It took him probably a good year of quitting and relapsing but eventually he beat it.

Those who really want to quit will keep trying no matter how many times they screw up. You have to be determined and learn from your mistakes otherwise you stand no chance.

It seems like Ryan Leaf is the epitome of what I just said so hopefully he finally beats his addiction because he is a celebrity so a lot of people are going to look to him as an example. But most importantly he needs to do it for himself because living as an addict who uses is hell.

wazu
04-30-2017, 08:41 PM
Watched the ESPN piece. Never thought I'd be impressed by Ryan Leaf, but I am.

kcxiv
05-01-2017, 04:36 AM

sure it does, i was a drug addict and i quit from one day to the next. Its been 22 years now. I never have touched it, and i have 0 desire to touch it, and i will NEVER touch that stuff EVER again. The hard drugs i stopped, i drank a little after that, but maybe a year tops.

Once you tell yourself thats it never ends, you give yourself an out to **** up again thinking its ok. Its not. Tell yourself, it ends. make it absolute. Is it hard? sure, but dont give yourself and inch, you will move it 10 feet.