PDA

View Full Version : Food and Drink ***Official CP Homebrew Collaboration Poll - Style***

KCUnited
05-17-2017, 08:43 AM
There's been some interest expressed in the recent Homebrew thread regarding a CP homebrew recipe collaboration. This thread is the first installment where we'll choose the style of beer we want to brew. I've listed the 3 styles that came up in the Homebrew thread discussion, and included an Other option for write in votes.

Once a style has been decided, we can decide sub-styles if needed, then move on to abv/gravity. Feel free to chime in with any thoughts as well.

Ming the Merciless
05-17-2017, 08:50 AM
I'm more than willing to branch out but tossed my vote in for IPA because the wife might be more willing to help me clean stuff and bottle if I brew her favorite hahaha...

But i am game to do this for sure...I will need to start sometime after the 29th because I have a crazy work situation thats not over till around the 29th maybe the 1st.

Thanks for starting this thread , I havent brewed a batch in YEARS maybe over 5 years (i have a 5 yr old and a 1 yr old)

unlurking
05-17-2017, 08:54 AM
Guessing this will be a runaway for IPA.

KCUnited
05-17-2017, 08:55 AM
I voted IPA, but would be fine with brewing a pale or saison. I brew mostly hoppy or easy drinking stuff because its usually just me drinking it so I need things I can turnover quickly. Multiple gallons of something heavy would take me forever to drink and I only have so much space.

If this turns out to be a fun thing for everyone, we can always do it again with a different style.

Sorce
05-17-2017, 09:59 AM
I voted IPA, but would be fine with brewing a pale or saison. I brew mostly hoppy or easy drinking stuff because its usually just me drinking it so I need things I can turnover quickly. Multiple gallons of something heavy would take me forever to drink and I only have so much space.

If this turns out to be a fun thing for everyone, we can always do it again with a different style.

I voted for Saison but I think a Gose or Witbier would fit that light easy drinkability. A good witbier is great for summer drinking as well.

KCUnited
05-17-2017, 10:50 AM
I voted for Saison but I think a Gose or Witbier would fit that light easy drinkability. A good witbier is great for summer drinking as well.

I mocked up a cherry wit recipe last year that I planned to call Wit Cherryfield but I've yet to brew it.

Coochie liquor
05-17-2017, 10:52 AM
IPA is literally the most bitter shit I've ever ingested. The only kind I found to be not as bad was a key lime IPA. Aside from that, I try to stay away from it.

TimBone
05-17-2017, 11:52 AM
This sounds awesome. I wish I had the patience to brew. I'm voting for you guys to brew a Saison.

Marcellus
05-17-2017, 12:20 PM

Gose is pretty damn difficult beer style to brew.

Whitbeer may be the easiest.

MTG#10
05-17-2017, 01:49 PM
IPA is literally the most bitter shit I've ever ingested. The only kind I found to be not as bad was a key lime IPA. Aside from that, I try to stay away from it.

This. Literally the only style of beer I find disgusting

Dartgod
05-17-2017, 03:27 PM
I voted Saison. I'm more of a fan of Pale Ales or APA's than I am IPA's. But the last couple of batches I brewed were Sierra Nevada Pale Ales clones, so I'd like to try something different.

frozenchief
05-17-2017, 03:39 PM
IPA needs to be balanced and American craft IPAs frequently aren't. British IPAs do a much better job of balancing the hops with malt. I even had one brewed with jasmine.

I don't mind a pale ale but some of the pale ales are so bitter and tannic they are like chewing on used tea leaves.

KCUnited
05-17-2017, 04:00 PM
If you've voted "Other", make sure you post a style you'd like to brew, or see brewed, in this thread and I'll track it.

Zebedee DuBois
05-17-2017, 05:25 PM
I voted Saison because I want to try a variation of the one I just did, but with Wyeast 3711

lewdog
05-17-2017, 05:44 PM
I really like Saison's so I am voting for that.

No I will not participate.

Yes, I do not like IPAs. I'm a beer pussy.

Bearcat
05-17-2017, 06:25 PM
Voted Other, because who doesn't like a dark, heavy stout on a 90 degree summer day.... I'd be in for an IPA, too.

Black Bob
05-17-2017, 06:53 PM
I love IPA. Especially Terrapin Hopsecutioner and Sweet Water 420.

Zebedee DuBois
05-17-2017, 08:57 PM
Voted Other, because who doesn't like a dark, heavy stout on a 90 degree summer day.... I'd be in for an IPA, too.

Any beer drinking day is best finished with a nice rich imperial stout. yeti, rasputin, yum

KCrockaholic
05-17-2017, 09:10 PM
IPA's are my favorite, but Saison is what I chose because I just think with the summer months it'll be easier to brew for everybody with every set up. Saisons are also great beers guys. Keep in mind, some of your favorite beers are Saison style:

Tank 7
Funkwerks Nelson
Ommegang's Hennepin

I just know it's a fairly quick fermentation process, and can make a solid solid beer with a respectable ABV and drinkability. It's also not super common. Therefore, we're making something pretty unique by making a Saison alone. For some reason there aren't many out there.

Marcellus
05-18-2017, 06:12 AM
I voted Saison because I want to try a variation of the one I just did, but with Wyeast 3711

I really think for the sake of simplicity with some of the less experienced brewers we should use a dry yeast.

Belle's Saison yeast is a dry yeast and makes a pretty good beer.

We can nail that down once we get to recipe stage.

KCUnited
05-18-2017, 06:25 AM
I will say that 3711 is a true beast and will eat through practically anything. Its hard to fuck up. It's been known to be pitched during stuck fermentations in all styles. It could be fun, if saison wins, to have everyone ferment at their atmospheric temp as opposed to setting a target temp in the recipe. But yeah, we can discuss all that later.

KCUnited
05-18-2017, 06:27 AM
This thread can also serve as an experiment on how long to keep the polls up. A week probably isn't necessary, but I wanted to at least give everyone a chance to chime in on style.

unlurking
05-18-2017, 06:37 AM
Am I the only one brewing in the Denver metro area? Would be nice to sample others. Anyone up for a bottle exchange?

KCUnited
05-18-2017, 06:40 AM
If we end up brewing a saison, I'll definitely bottle mine and would be down to exchange with others.

unlurking
05-18-2017, 06:43 AM
Cool. I need to build a new false bottom this weekend and order some quick disconnects. Should be ready to brew again in about 2 weeks.

KCUnited
05-18-2017, 06:51 AM
I should probably get started on drinking some bottled beer.

Marcellus
05-18-2017, 08:26 AM
If we end up brewing a saison, I'll definitely bottle mine and would be down to exchange with others.

I usually keg but I will bottle for this project since we plan to do bottle sharing.

I have a beer gun for filling off a keg but as of yet I haven't been real happy with the end carbonation.

unlurking
05-18-2017, 12:50 PM
I usually keg 2 gallons, but have a dozen pint easy-cap bottles for filling the extra half/full gallon from my batches.

Indian Chief
05-18-2017, 10:28 PM
Saison or something like Belgian white/wheat/etc.

KCUnited
05-20-2017, 05:35 AM
Bump for the weekend. Poll ends on Tuesday.

KCUnited
05-23-2017, 08:47 AM
This poll is now closed. IPA is the winner. Thanks to everyone who voted and contributed to the thread.

I'm going to post the next poll shortly. It'll be a quick poll to decide the IPA sub-style which will give us a better idea of which fermentables, yeast, and hops to use in the recipe.

unlurking
05-23-2017, 08:51 AM
Cool, thanks for running this!

Dartgod
05-23-2017, 09:00 AM
Why are we counting the votes of those not actually brewing the beer?

The result may have been the same, I don't recall who all is participating in this. Just curious is all.

KCUnited
05-23-2017, 09:05 AM
Why are we counting the votes of those not actually brewing the beer?

The result may have been the same, I don't recall who all is participating in this. Just curious is all.

That's something I thought about as well and wasn't sure how to handle. The manual piece of keeping track and backing out votes seemed like it could be a hassle. Plus, hopefully this is something that can get people interested in brewing as a hobby and a recipe they can come back to. I mentioned earlier, if this is something fun for everyone, maybe we can make it an every offseason thing with different styles.

EDIT: That was my thought process anyway. I'm certainly open to ideas on how to better control the polls.

unlurking
05-23-2017, 09:07 AM
From comments in this thread, it seemed most no in were voting against IPA more than for anything else. Either way, maybe just do a crosscheck against the list of people who signed up to participate and eliminate all others?

And we'll have to do a red at some point. Just because.

Dartgod
05-23-2017, 09:10 AM
I'm ok with brewing whatever style. I was hoping for a Saison though.

KCUnited
05-23-2017, 09:12 AM
Hopefully this will be the only poll that people who aren't brewing have voted in. I don't think we'll get many non-brewers voting on grain/yeast/hop choices. I hope not anyway.

Marcellus
05-23-2017, 09:13 AM
This poll is now closed. IPA is the winner. Thanks to everyone who voted and contributed to the thread.

I'm going to post the next poll shortly. It'll be a quick poll to decide the IPA sub-style which will give us a better idea of which fermentables, yeast, and hops to use in the recipe.

One way to make this simple is once the style is decided on we could actually pick a kit form a supplier that meets the criteria.

Everyone could then order their kit in the way that they brew as most places you can get all grain, minimash, or extract versions of the kits.

unlurking
05-23-2017, 09:17 AM
Why do people do kits? Difficulty getting ingredients around KC?

KCUnited
05-23-2017, 09:17 AM
One way to make this simple is once the style is decided on we could actually pick a kit form a supplier that meets the criteria.

Everyone could then order their kit in the way that they brew as most places you can get all grain, minimash, or extract versions of the kits.

That would be simpler, but then we'd be brewing a kit as opposed to creating a CP recipe. Or am I not understanding?

unlurking
05-23-2017, 09:19 AM
I assume he meant custom kits, like the brewtoad kits that they'll build off any recipe you create. Not exactly cheap though.

KCUnited
05-23-2017, 09:19 AM
I assume he meant custom kits, like the brewtoad kits that they'll build off any recipe you create. Not exactly cheap though.

Ah gotcha. I'm not super familiar with kits.

Marcellus
05-23-2017, 09:21 AM
That would be simpler, but then we'd be brewing a kit as opposed to creating a CP recipe. Or am I not understanding?

I actually forgot we were making a custom CP brew.

That being the case its going to need to be bitter as fuck, just like this place.

No wonder IPA won the poll. :D