PDA

View Full Version : Football Locker room politics: Why Richard Sherman can't let things go

tk13
05-25-2017, 06:01 PM
This is a long, long article so I only posted a few quotes... but it's a really interesting look at the politics of a locker room. The full link is below. It's how the Seahawks defense is resentful of the offense. This appears to be just ESPN's version of the story... but I did see a Seattle writer tweet this afternoon that in his experience, this article is pretty accurate.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/19446657/seattle-seahawks-cornerback-richard-sherman-let-go-problem-nfl-2017

Richard Sherman wanted to send a message to Russell Wilson. It was June 2014, and it'd been a testy day at Seahawks minicamp, with defensive players hitting the offense in a non-contact practice. On one play, Sherman had ripped off the helmet and jersey of receiver Phil Bates, igniting a brawl, the cornerback's dreadlocks flopping in the air. Both sides cleared. Pharrell Williams' "Happy" blasted from the loudspeakers. But the defense, a ruthless and crazy and awesome bunch that less than five months earlier had delivered the franchise its first Super Bowl victory, was just getting started.

Sherman is famous for loving practice, for treating it like a game, for rarely missing it even when injured. For him, it's where a mystical bond is forged and a win on Sunday becomes an almost accidental byproduct. And so, a few plays later, when Sherman picked off Wilson, it wasn't enough just to make a great play. He wanted to get inside Wilson's head, to remind the young Pro Bowler that despite his Super Bowl fame -- and endorsements that many on the defense felt they deserved -- Sherman still owned his ass.

According to witnesses, Sherman threw the ball back to Wilson and yelled, "You f---ing suck!" Another fight broke out. Sherman was cussing and yelling; Wilson seemed stunned. Pete Carroll stopped practice and would later hold a series of meetings to remind the players they needed to build each other up, not tear each other down -- and that they needed to support their quarterback, further pissing off a defense that already thought the head coach went out of his way to protect him.

With 26 seconds left in Super Bowl XLIX, on second-and-goal from the 1, Patriots corner Malcolm Butler jumped a route like nobody had ever jumped a route on the game's biggest stage. That moment haunts the Seahawks to this day. "If Russ had just thrown it low and away ...," one Seahawks staffer says. "If we had just executed the play, it would have been the easiest touchdown in history," says a former assistant coach. Nothing that's happened since -- not the Seahawks twice reaching the divisional round in the playoffs before running into Cam Newton and Matt Ryan, not Wilson developing into a franchise quarterback, not the defense becoming the first since the 1950s Browns to lead the league in points allowed for four straight years -- has brought anything near closure.

It's been a tense offseason. In mid-March, word emerged that Sherman was available for a trade. Normally, a team would try to squash such a bombshell involving an iconic player beloved by fans. But general manager John Schneider later admitted the team was taking calls. And Carroll had been unusually blunt, saying at the league meetings that many of Sherman's issues -- he seemed to go off the rails at the end of last season as his anger boiled over -- were "self-inflicted."

Tension flared at strange times last season, blowing little issues into big ones. One day, Sherman walked into a team meeting and found rookie guard Germain Ifedi sitting at a desk. That's a no-no. Rookies sit on the floor; veterans get the desks. Sherman lorded over him, but Ifedi did what Sherman might have done as a rookie: He stayed at the desk.

Finally, Sherman broke: "Get up." Ifedi stood up and knocked over the desk, tossing it aside. The 6-foot-5, 325-pound Ifedi stared at the 6-3, 195-pound Sherman as if ready to throw down. Ifedi eventually stepped aside, but Sherman later told friends that he saw the incident as emblematic of a bigger problem. The offense, led by Wilson, was in the midst of a season in which it would score fewer than 13 points five times, but the only players being held to the lofty standard created by the defense were the members of it.

Free agents who sign with the Seahawks are always shocked at how savage the locker room can be, a violence at odds with Carroll's laid-back persona. There was a fistfight between Seahawks receivers the night before they beat Denver in the Super Bowl, and nobody was punished. In fact, many considered it a sign of unity that news of the fight didn't immediately get out. No matter what, by kickoff, Sherman would stand in the middle of a circle, brothers in arms, and yell, "We're all we got!" To which his teammates would reply, "We're all we need!"

---

"He's always looking at what other people are doing," says a former assistant coach who has had many talks with him. "He's made it personal. It's your fault we're not winning. It wears guys thin."

A week later, against the Cardinals, Sherman was on the field for 99 snaps, including four on special teams. He was so exhausted and dehydrated, shivering with a fever, that he leaned on Wagner from the shower to his locker and drained two IV bags. It was a warrior effort wasted. Before overtime, Wilson's offense had managed only five first downs and nine punts. The game ended 6-6. The offensive line was manhandled, but Carroll complimented Ifedi's play after the game, privately setting off many Seahawks defenders as an example of Carroll seeming too positive.

Wilson has been a divisive figure almost from the moment he earned the starting job, long before he became the most famous and highest-paid Seahawk. It seems to go beyond the normal jealousy aimed at most star quarterbacks. Teammates privately seem to want him exposed, but ask them why, or on what grounds, and their reasons vary. A man who vowed to live in transparency -- Wilson famously announced that he was refraining from premarital sex with his then-girlfriend, Ciara -- required guests to sign nondisclosure agreements before entering his box at Mariners games. After the Super Bowl against Denver, team management "fell in love with Russell," in the words of a former high-level staffer; defensive players would see him in executives' offices and wonder, "Why not me?" Pettiness grew. In 2014, Bleacher Report reported that some black teammates "think Wilson isn't black enough." Every Christmas, Wilson gives each player two first-class tickets on Alaska Airlines, one of his endorsements. "It didn't cost him anything," one Seahawk told an assistant coach last year. "Big deal."

For as great as Wilson has played at times, for as well as he serves as the face of the franchise, for as tough as he is -- last season he played through a sprained MCL, a high ankle sprain and a strained pectoral on his throwing side -- only twice in his five years have the Seahawks finished in the top 10 in points scored. Sherman and the defense know the difference between very good quarterbacks and great ones. They see how Wilson, only 5-11, struggles to anticipate open windows; they see the offensive staff breaking down film of the Saints' offense to figure out ways to deploy tight end Jimmy Graham, an All-Pro in New Orleans and a highly paid, ineffective red zone weapon in Seattle. It galls the defense to hear Wilson, ever positive, stand behind a podium and insist that the offense "made some great plays" after games in which the Seahawks barely score -- and then be propped up as if he were Aaron Rodgers.

"Guys want Pete to call out Russ in front of the team," Smith says. "That's not what Pete does. Pete will single out a guy, but he does it the right way."

Halfcan
05-25-2017, 06:09 PM
He would look good in Red. Peters and Sherman would be nasty.

rabblerouser
05-25-2017, 06:17 PM
He would look good in Red. Peters and Sherman would be nasty.

Sherman would make sure Mahomes was definitely the guy.

ChiTown
05-25-2017, 06:20 PM
What a bunch of fucking cry babies

rydogg58
05-25-2017, 06:23 PM
I would love to have him on this team. That being said...I'm sure his shit gets real old, real fast with some of his teammates.

Rain Man
05-25-2017, 06:37 PM
Didn't Sherman stink last year?

rabblerouser
05-25-2017, 06:46 PM
I would love to have him on this team. That being said...I'm sure his shit gets real old, real fast with some of his teammates.

The ones just there for a paycheck, for sure. Fuck them.

Demonpenz
05-25-2017, 06:46 PM
That is alittle much but Sherman has mostly backed it up.

Demonpenz
05-25-2017, 06:47 PM
at the end of the day it is still a job. No matter how badly sherman wants to scew into something its not.

rydogg58
05-25-2017, 06:59 PM
That is alittle much but Sherman has mostly backed it up.

Absolutely. And that's why guys like him can do those things. Who was the guy we had a few years back that broke Baldwin's hand with his face?

mcaj22
05-25-2017, 07:06 PM
Didn't Sherman stink last year?

hes still good but the team is falling apart around him.

hence the article, which makes a lot of valid points about roster construction and windows to win

dilligaf
05-25-2017, 07:06 PM
Absolutely. And that's why guys like him can do those things. Who was the guy we had a few years back that broke Baldwin's hand with his face?

Wasn't that Thomas Jones?

rydogg58
05-25-2017, 07:09 PM
Wasn't that Thomas Jones?

Yep, that's the guy. Just reading about making the rookies sit on the floor made me think about that fight.

KChiefs1
05-26-2017, 08:44 AM
I could see Marcus Peters intercepting Alex Smith & him yelling "You Fucking Suck!" to him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

O.city
05-26-2017, 08:50 AM
I read that article yesterday. Really interesting

A lot of Seahawks players came out after saying it's not true etc which means you know it is true

ptlyon
05-26-2017, 08:58 AM
I could see Marcus Peters intercepting Alex Smith & him yelling "You ****ing Suck!" to him.

And he'd be right

Eleazar
05-26-2017, 09:05 AM
All the reasons that people loved Sherman's personality when he was in his prime and was a dominant force on the field will be same reasons he's run out of Seattle and will probably not stick anywhere else since his prime is ending or seems to have ended.

Dayze
05-26-2017, 10:06 AM
stuff like this, drama, etc, always reminds me of an old Brett Fav-ruh mic'd up from many many years ago.

He asks a rhetorical question to Andy Reid (or maybe Mooch, I can't remember)
"What do you think Mike (Holmgren) would do if he found out I had a dip in right now"

*inaudible response*

"....hell, this aint the damn Ice Capades"

LMAO

Rausch
05-26-2017, 10:10 AM
So this article is about why he chooses not to talk to the press and when he does it's blown WAY overboard...?

PAChiefsGuy
05-26-2017, 10:22 AM
Like the article said what makes Richard Sherman so good also makes him an annoying teammate to deal with. He is simply too emotional at times. It doesn't seem like his personality meshes well with Russell Wilson or Pete Carroll.

It seems to me like Richard Sherman should focus on being the leader of the D and let Russell Wilson/Pete Carroll be the leader of the O but he is probably too much of an ego-maniac to let that happen.

Winning cures everything so we will see what happens this year. If they win they'll be fine if they don't I'd expect more outbursts from Sherman.

Sweet Daddy Hate
05-26-2017, 11:26 AM
I never contemplated the possibility that an NFL CB could induce a throbbing erection, yet as I meditate upon the colorful conversations that Sherman would have with Alex Smith, if Sherman were a Chief, I realize that I may have misjudged this man's all natural medical benefits.

SAUTO
05-26-2017, 11:30 AM
But Russell Wilson is such a leader and runs that locker room I thought...

Seems like the defense hates him and the rest of their offense. The coaches have to watch saints film to figure out how to use Graham?

Chief Pagan
05-26-2017, 11:33 AM
It doesn't seem like his personality meshes well with Russell Wilson or Pete Carroll.

I don't know about that. There was that play last year where Sherman wasn't on the same page as the rest of the defense for one play and it turned into a screaming match on the sideline.

At the press conference Carroll was asked why he didn't do anything and his response was something like, "it looked to me like they were sorting it out".

Seems a perfect mesh to me. :shrug:

Red Dawg
05-26-2017, 11:34 AM
Our defense should feel the same. Alex tucks them over all the time.

Sherman should be pissed about the SB. The HC, OC and Wilson fugged pretty damn bad. He also should chill a little since the defense let Brady get the go ahead td. They blew it as well but that play call at the end was beyond stupid.

NWTF
05-26-2017, 11:51 AM

Seems like the defense hates him and the rest of their offense. The coaches have to watch saints film to figure out how to use Graham?

The D, including Sherman lost a step and could no longer carry the team to a championship. Its still a good D, but just not quite good enough to do it all on its own anymore. Sherman still being a jerk about it though.

Wilson is overrated. Above average for sure, but not near as good as he was made out to be. The offense ran through Lynch back when they won the SB.

I guess Sherman knows the D has lost a step and the window may have shut due to the O not getting any better to compensate. They actually got worse, cause their offensive MVP retired.

How to get the ball to Jimmy Graham? Maybe trade for Drew Brees

The Franchise
05-26-2017, 12:04 PM

That Graham trade is still one of the dumbest trades I've ever seen.

WhiteWhale
05-26-2017, 04:02 PM

Don't kid yourself.

Wilson is a straight laced christian guy. That's all fine and good except for ONE huge problem.

He's black, and black players for some reason don't respect it from black men. He's not ghetto enough for some guys.

It's actually the most unfortunate prejudice black QB's face in today's NFL, and nobody talks about it.

ModSocks
05-26-2017, 04:09 PM
The Wilson/Seahawks situation is nothing more than grade school jealousy. It's the classic Teacher's Pet syndrome. All the other kids in the class hate him because he's always polite, raises his hand and the teachers love him. Because the teachers love him he's given more leniency than the others and that pisses the other kids off as they see it as favoritism. Favoritism breeds jealousy. Jealousy makes haters. Essentially, Richard Sherman is a fucking hater.

"He's not black enough" is code for, "He's a goody-two-shoes teacher's pet that everyone loves".

WhiteWhale
05-26-2017, 04:13 PM
The Wilson/Seahawks situation is nothing more than grade school jealousy. It's the classic Teacher's Pet syndrome. All the other kids in the class hate him because he's always polite, raises his hand and the teachers love him. Because the teachers love him he's given more leniency than the others and that pisses the other kids off as they see it as favoritism. Favoritism breeds jealousy. Jealousy makes haters. Essentially, Richard Sherman is a ****ing hater.

"He's not black enough" is code for, "He's a goody-two-shoes teacher's pet that everyone loves".

If you think the standard is the same, you're crazy. Black players turn on black QB's often, and when you look at the personalities of the guys they turn on it's not Vick or Cam. It's the squares like Mcnabb and Wilson.

Nobody cares if Alex Smith is a square, and he sucks way more than Wilson. He sure as hell never put up a season like Wilson did in 2015.

ModSocks
05-26-2017, 04:25 PM
If you think the standard is the same, you're crazy. Black players turn on black QB's often, and when you look at the personalities of the guys they turn on it's not Vick or Cam. It's the squares like Mcnabb and Wilson.

Nobody cares if Alex Smith is a square, and he sucks way more than Wilson. He sure as hell never put up a season like Wilson did in 2015.

Oh im not disagreeing with you, if anything my stance compounds with yours. It's the classic teacher's pet syndrome. They're jealouse of the praise and attention he gets because he's viewed as the "goody-two-shoes, do no wrong" kid. That's difference between "squares" like Wilson and guys like Vick.

It's similar to why so many people hate Tebow. It's viewed as inauthentic and fake. He's praised as being a good guy and it strikes jealousy.

"Teammates privately seem to want him exposed, but ask them why, or on what grounds, and their reasons vary. A man who vowed to live in transparency -- Wilson famously announced that he was refraining from premarital sex with his then-girlfriend, Ciara -- required guests to sign nondisclosure agreements before entering his box at Mariners games. After the Super Bowl against Denver, team management "fell in love with Russell," in the words of a former high-level staffer; defensive players would see him in executives' offices and wonder, "Why not me?" Pettiness grew."

Pretty much says it all.....

TimBone
05-26-2017, 04:45 PM
I never contemplated the possibility that an NFL CB could induce a throbbing erection, yet as I meditate upon the colorful conversations that Sherman would have with Alex Smith, if Sherman were a Chief, I realize that I may have misjudged this man's all natural medical benefits.
For fuck's sake, man. The Chiefs drafted a new QB. Time to move on. This is the second or third non-Alex related thread today that I've seen you bring up Smith.

Poster to poster, nothing to do with me being a mod, can you chill out?

ThaVirus
05-26-2017, 07:08 PM

Besides Wilson which other QBs have dealt with what you claim?

I don't recall a single thing being mentioned by teammates about McNabb save a couple digs from TO and, IIRC, they had nothing to do with him being "square".

I can't think of any other black QBs in this situation.

SAUTO
05-26-2017, 07:20 PM
I think they all believe he's a fake. Like every thing about him is fake.

AssEaterChief
05-26-2017, 07:30 PM
He is disingenuous and fake.

I could see how that would get old in a locker room pretty quick.