PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Terrance Mitchell article

O.city
05-26-2017, 09:13 AM
https://twitter.com/chiefsreporter/status/868110500344803328

I'm sure I'll get bitched at for not posting the whole article but page clicks and all

The Franchise
05-26-2017, 09:18 AM
This is fucking crazy.

November 23, 2016 - Signed to the Kansas City Chiefs active roster

November 9, 2016 - Signed to the Kansas City Chiefs practice squad

November 7, 2016 - Released by the Kansas City Chiefs

October 18, 2016 - Signed to the Kansas City Chiefs active roster

September 18, 2016 - Released by Kansas City Chiefs

September 6, 2016 - Signed to the Kansas City Chiefs practice squad

September 3, 2016 - Released by the Houston Texans

June 13, 2016 - Claimed off of waivers by the Houston Texans

June 10, 2016 - Released by the Dallas Cowboys

December 18, 2015 - Activated to the Dallas Cowboys active roster

December 2, 2015 - Added to the Dallas Cowboys practice squad

November 23, 2015 - Released from the Chicago Bears practice squad

November 18, 2015 - Added to the Chicago Bears practice squad

November 17, 2015 - Released by the Chicago Bears

October 14, 2014 - Activated on the Chicago Bears active roster

September 1, 2014 - Added to the Chicago Bears practice squad

August 30, 2014 - Released by the Dallas Cowboys

Originally entered NFL as seventh-round pick (254th overall) by Cowboys in 2014 NFL Draft

Rain Man
05-26-2017, 09:25 AM
I bet he never signs anything on apartments other than a month to month lease.

Bowser
05-26-2017, 09:42 AM
One of the top stories for the Kansas City Chiefs last season, particularly at the end of the year, was the play of cornerback Terrance Mitchell, who ranked among the top players in the league at that position over the final few weeks of the regular season.

From Week 13 to the end of the year, Mitchell had five passes defensed, which ranked fifth in the league, and opposing quarterbacks completed just 45.5 percent (15 of 33) of passes thrown in his direction, which ranked 10th.

The quarterback rating when testing Mitchell was just 58.8, which ranked just behind the Denver Broncos’ standout duo of Chris Harris and Aqib Talib.
Simply put, he was good, like really good.

What made it all the more impressive is that it was production from a guy who had been released by the Chiefs twice earlier in the year.
It was largely unexpected.

In fact, Mitchell’s story, albeit early to tell, has been one of waiting for an opportunity and never letting the disappointment of getting released stand in the way of being ready the next time the phone rings. Prior to his first start for the Chiefs last year, which came against the Oakland Raiders at home on December 8, Mitchell had already been released seven times in his career.

On Thursday afternoon, Chiefs coach Andy Reid spoke of what he has seen from Mitchell through offseason workouts and the first few days of OTAs, which for him, began with a higher level of confidence.

“I would tell you just that,” Reid agreed of Mitchell’s improved confidence. “He’s more confident than when he got here, even though he was pretty good then. He’s a very good athlete and he was sort of thrown in the fire last season and he did a pretty good job.
“Now, people have had an opportunity to study him, so we’ll find out. He understands that so we’ll work through the challenge.”

Mitchell agrees that he’s more confident.

“The more reps and the more experience you can get, it definitely makes you more and more confident,” Mitchell explained after Thursday’s OTA practice. “Just being out there gives me more confidence. I thank the coaches for just giving me the opportunity.
“With all the places I’ve been in my career, going up against all the different kinds of receivers I’ve faced, I always knew I could play, I just had to wait for my opportunity.”

From facing guys like the Houston Texans’ DeAndre Hopkins, the Dallas Cowboys’ Dez Bryant or the former Chicago Bear and now Philadelphia Eagles receiver, Alshon Jeffrey, Mitchell had faced some of the league’s best players at practice in his career on a consistent basis.

Now, Mitchell finds himself among one of the most talented secondaries in the entire league, highlighted by two All-Pros in cornerback Marcus Peters and safety Eric Berry.

“It’s a lot of skill and talent, so it brings out the best in you,” Mitchell added. “Competition brings out the best, so it just helps you prepare and be the best you can be.”

Mitchell might be in the midst of figuring out what his best might look like, and all he needed was the opportunity.

http://www.chiefs.com/news/article-2/Chiefs-Coach-Andy-Reid-on-CB-Terrance-Mitchell-He%E2%80%99s-More-Confident/379fe025-bfd4-4073-b26f-54beb7e7e134

This kid stepped up and flat out impressed late last year. Hopefully he builds on that this season.

staylor26
05-26-2017, 09:45 AM
Every now and then I have Cooper fears with this guy, but I just don't see that happening again. After watching him against Brown, I think he's legit.

Red Dawg
05-26-2017, 09:47 AM
He played very well when he started. High hopes for him.

Titty Meat
05-26-2017, 09:48 AM
Meh I think they are setting up for a real cluster fuck at the CB position especially if Peters gets hurt.

ModSocks
05-26-2017, 09:50 AM
Every now and then I have Cooper fears with this guy, but I just don't see that happening again. After watching him against Brown, I think he's legit.

Not even close to the same player. The only thing these guys have in common is that they were both nobodies who exploded on the scene.

Cooper never, ever impressed me. I was impressed with Mitchell the first time i saw him against Atlanta.

staylor26
05-26-2017, 09:51 AM
Meh I think they are setting up for a real cluster **** at the CB position especially if Peters gets hurt.

Nothing about Mitchell's play down the stretch was "meh" Billay. Come on man.

Hammock Parties
05-26-2017, 09:52 AM
Small sample size. Considering he ran a 4.63 I don't see him as a long-term starter.

staylor26
05-26-2017, 09:52 AM
Not even close to the same player. The only thing these guys have in common is that they were both nobodies who exploded on the scene.

Cooper never, ever impressed me. I was impressed with Mitchell the first time i saw him against Atlanta.

While I do agree for the most part, Cooper was really ****ing good for those first few weeks. He was making a ton of plays and looked like he'd be an above average starter down the line until we played he Broncos and he fell apart.

Mitchell's run was definitely more impressive though, and he did it against some of the best.

staylor26
05-26-2017, 09:54 AM
Small sample size. Considering he ran a 4.63 I don't see him as a long-term starter.

Of course you don't :rolleyes:

Nevermind his elite 3 cone though, right?

RunKC
05-26-2017, 09:56 AM

He was among the best at the combine in the 20 and 60 yard shuffle. He also has one of the best 3 cone times in combine history which means he has elite lateral ability.

That explains why he was able to stay with AB in the playoff game.

ModSocks
05-26-2017, 10:04 AM
While I do agree for the most part, Cooper was really ****ing good for those first few weeks. He was making a ton of plays and looked like he'd be an above average starter down the line until we played he Broncos and he fell apart.

Mitchell's run was definitely more impressive though, and he did it against some of the best.

No he wasn't. I know that was the popular opinion around here, but i never agreed and still don't. He was gifted interceptions early on, but the guy always played soft. He often gave a sizeable cushion. His press was pretty weak. The early part of his career here was simply being in the right place at the right time coupled with some really poor passes and it got a lot of people excited.

The dude attempted to press Stevie Johnson and was literally bitch slapped out of the way. That was Dee Ford running away from a halfback kind of bad.

Mitchell, otoh, was getting up into the Falcon's receivers faces. Whenever the ball was thrown in his direction, Mitchell may not have come up with flashy Int's, but he was always in the receivers grill, turning his head and getting his hands up. Mitchell was contesting almost every pass out there, which is something we rarely saw from Cooper.

The Oakland game cemented it for me. He approached the LoS in a primtime game, against a huge division rival for the division title, like a man who KNEW he was going to punk the receiver. Cooper always looked soft and timid.

ModSocks
05-26-2017, 10:06 AM

He ran in the 4.4's at his Pro-Day iirc.

Quesadilla Joe
05-26-2017, 12:49 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Chiefs CB Terrance Mitchell will reportedly get the first crack at the right CB spot in nickel sets.<br><br>He was KC&#39;s best in that role in 2016. <a href="https://t.co/GghSdXqZiN">pic.twitter.com/GghSdXqZiN</a></p>&mdash; Pro Football Focus (@PFF) <a href="https://twitter.com/PFF/status/868176666992005125">May 26, 2017</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

mdchiefsfan
05-26-2017, 01:05 PM

I need all honesty, what happened with Cooper is rare. A person that flashes that significantly seldomly crashes and burns so quickly. I did get a mental image of Cooper when Reid mentioned other teams being able to study him now, but let's hope that doesn't happen again.

Titty Meat
05-26-2017, 01:08 PM
I need all honesty, what happened with Cooper is rare. A person that flashes that significantly seldomly crashes and burns so quickly. I did get a mental image of Cooper when Reid mentioned other teams being able to study him now, but let's hope that doesn't happen again.

Cooper benefited from an awesome pass rush if you'll recall before Houston and Hali got hurt that pass rush was amazing. Manning exposed Cooper @Arrowhead and that was the end of him being good as a Chief.

O.city
05-26-2017, 01:35 PM
Cooper benefited from an awesome pass rush if you'll recall before Houston and Hali got hurt that pass rush was amazing. Manning exposed Cooper @Arrowhead and that was the end of him being good as a Chief.

Yeah boss chief and I had front row seats for that

mdchiefsfan
05-26-2017, 01:38 PM

Truth. That bodes well for Mitchell since he flashed towards the end of the season, where the defense was being gashed as a result of the injuries it incurred.

ModSocks
05-26-2017, 02:39 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Chiefs CB Terrance Mitchell will reportedly get the first crack at the right CB spot in nickel sets.<br><br>He was KC&#39;s best in that role in 2016. <a href="https://t.co/GghSdXqZiN">pic.twitter.com/GghSdXqZiN</a></p>&mdash; Pro Football Focus (@PFF) <a href="https://twitter.com/PFF/status/868176666992005125">May 26, 2017</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

So i was right about Gaines too. Right about Cooper, right about Gaines, right about Mitchell thus far, and at the time I was right about Flowers too. Oh, and i was right about Berry too. Haters....

WhiteWhale
05-26-2017, 03:32 PM
So i was right about Gaines too. Right about Cooper, right about Gaines, right about Mitchell thus far, and at the time I was right about Flowers too. Oh, and i was right about Berry too. Haters....

I'm not sure where you came away on Flowers.

A poster on this site, who is respected by some and reviled by others, told me I was a complete know nothing idiot because I said Flowers was better than Cooper.

The reality is MOST people on this site over-reacted to a guy who had a few good games.

ModSocks
05-26-2017, 03:44 PM
I'm not sure where you came away on Flowers.

A poster on this site, who is respected by some and reviled by others, told me I was a complete know nothing idiot because I said Flowers was better than Cooper.

The reality is MOST people on this site over-reacted to a guy who had a few good games.

My position on Flowers was that he was not in decline, but instead injured, and that we could squeeze one more year out of him and that he was better than Cooper.

Chiefs released him, Cooper shat the bed, Flowers turned in a Pro-Bowl season for SD before he became concussion plagued. Yes, i was an idiot too. I was also an idiot because i didn't want to give up on Berry prior to, and after the year he was diagnosed with cancer.

I was also an idiot because i claimed Gaines was an injury prone vagina.

Im not trying to pretend im some know it all, but i'm on a pretty damn good streak here with my DB evaluations.

WhiteWhale
05-26-2017, 03:58 PM
[/b]My position on Flowers was that he was not in decline, but instead injured, and that we could squeeze one more year out of him and that he was better than Cooper. [/b]

Chiefs released him, Cooper shat the bed, Flowers turned in a Pro-Bowl season for SD before he became concussion plagued. Yes, i was an idiot too. I was also an idiot because i didn't want to give up on Berry prior to, and after the year he was diagnosed with cancer.

Im not trying to pretend im some know it all, but i'm on a pretty damn good streak here with my DB evaluations.

Arguing Cooper vs Flowers in his final season was a ****ing embarrassment. It was actually one of the things that led to me barely posting here about football. One side was so obviously wrong and stupid, and at the same time so cock sure and insulting to the smart people telling them how things actually are. 3 games and the know it alls were anointing him.

The way this forum turned on Berry after his cancer comeback was actually insane in my eyes, which is why my posts in those threads were made up completely of "This is why we can't have nice things." Berry had an all time great season last year. He's always been damn good. He's the heart and soul of our defense, even when he was out getting chemo.

Honestly, the only reason you brag about these things is because of the volume and rudeness of the morons who argued the opposite. Outside of this forum, where certain people who are often wrong influence others, nobody would have disagreed with you. Nobody outside of this site wanted to run Berry out of town.

I'm not always right either, but I know how to smell bullshit.

RealSNR
05-26-2017, 04:12 PM
My position on Flowers was that he was not in decline, but instead injured, and that we could squeeze one more year out of him and that he was better than Cooper.

How could people NOT see that Gaines was a huge vagina?

It was the exact same shit with Sanders Commings. "Eh, it's one injury!"

"One injury" is Marcus Peters missing a couple games last year. It's not the shit that plagued Commings and Gaines in college and the pros.

Kman34
05-26-2017, 07:19 PM

Not that I think he's a pro bowler but..... you suck at evaluating talent... so... he probably makes the pro bowl next year...:D

rtmike
05-27-2017, 05:24 AM
Damn tablet, trying to post.

TRR
05-27-2017, 07:13 AM
How could people NOT see that Gaines was a huge vagina?

It was the exact same shit with Sanders Commings. "Eh, it's one injury!"

"One injury" is Marcus Peters missing a couple games last year. It's not the shit that plagued Commings and Gaines in college and the pros.

The guy tore his ACL...and had trouble with swelling throughout the next season. (Very common). The guy is 26 years old - let's not act like the final page has been written on Gaines or that you are some kind of prophet.

He's not even close to Sanders Commings.

Chiefshrink
05-27-2017, 12:47 PM
He was among the best at the combine in the 20 and 60 yard shuffle. He also has one of the best 3 cone times in combine history which means he has elite lateral ability.

That explains why he was able to stay with AB in the playoff game.

BINGO !! You nailed it. Quickness, change of direction are just as important as speed especially in the initial phase of covering.

Chiefshrink
05-27-2017, 12:52 PM
Berry had an all time great season last year. He's always been damn good. He's the heart and soul of our defense, even when he was out getting chemo.

Agreed, just never became the Ed Reed or Troy Polomalu type we thought we were getting but maybe our defensive scheme doesn't allow for that.:shrug:

Sweet Daddy Hate
05-27-2017, 12:57 PM
VERY impressed with Mitchell.

RealSNR
05-27-2017, 01:43 PM
The guy tore his ACL...and had trouble with swelling throughout the next season. (Very common). The guy is 26 years old - let's not act like the final page has been written on Gaines or that you are some kind of prophet.

He's not even close to Sanders Commings.

Not going to hold my breath. The only thing I see that Gaines has going for him is that there's no Jamaal Charles to literally break his ankles on juke moves during training camp

TRR
05-27-2017, 03:15 PM
Not going to hold my breath. The only thing I see that Gaines has going for him is that there's no Jamaal Charles to literally break his ankles on juke moves during training camp

Jamaal hasn't broken anyone's ankles in over two years.

RealSNR
05-27-2017, 04:50 PM

The bottom line is that Gaines has been very fragile in the pros. Even Justin Houston had two complete seasons without games missed to injury when he was at this point in Gaines' career.

There's no good reason to think he'll suddenly stop being a fragile and unreliable pile of crap, either.

TigeRRUppeRRcut
05-27-2017, 06:46 PM
I heard day 1 he was keeping up with Tyreek and broke up a couple passes.

Game speed is so much more important than the speed you record at the combine,and you know...the conditioning you do as a pro.

jjchieffan
05-27-2017, 06:56 PM

Just keep on trolling with these contrarion comments. One of these days, you might actually get one right. You are truly the Nick Athan of CP. Maybe if you had better idols than Athan and Fatlock, you might become a decent poster around here. But instead, you want to be like those morons, so you continue to be a despised ass. Just like them.

TigeRRUppeRRcut
05-27-2017, 07:10 PM
Just keep on trolling with these contrarion comments. One of these days, you might actually get one right. You are truly the Nick Athan of CP. Maybe if you had better idols than Athan and Fatlock, you might become a decent poster around here. But instead, you want to be like those morons, so you continue to be a despised ass. Just like them.

The irony is that 4.63 recorded was just one set of runs. Doesn't measure game speed/reaction time/ and what he's improved on since then.

Clay is a straight moron.

Sandy Vagina
05-28-2017, 06:53 AM
He ran in the 4.4's at his Pro-Day iirc.

Odd. I'm seeing 4.52 here - http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=110547&draftyear=2014&genpos=CB

yet as you suggested, here is saying 4.43 - http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/oregon-cb-mitchell-runs-unofficial-4-43-at-individual-pro-day-041414

Either way, he's doing well so far. Keep him out there, and see if he keeps it going. Often enough.. it's not the natural talent from a player... but the player's work habits and dedication to improve.

TigeRRUppeRRcut
05-28-2017, 08:02 AM

Here you are criticizing a guy for a small sample size of games yet you use one single day at the combine as evidence that he will bust because of speed. Then this happened :

"Mitchell, who strained his right hamstring at Oregon’s pro day last month, staged a workout at his high school Luther Burbank (Sacramento, Calif.) and ran a blazing 4.43 in the 40-yard dash, according to the cornerback.

“I’m feeling good right now,” Mitchell told FOXSports.com in a telephone

Mitchell dramatically improved on his the 4.63 time he posted in Indianapolis back in February. The three-year starter for Oregon has been projected to be a mid-round pick. "

Fact. Not fiction.

Quit shitting on all the Chiefs players, troll.

KChiefs1
05-31-2017, 06:40 PM
https://youtu.be/D03Tq3-jHNwSent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DaneMcCloud
05-31-2017, 06:43 PM
https://youtu.be/D03Tq3-jHNwSent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I saw this earlier today.

Good grief.

I don't think he could spell the word "Dog" if he was spotted the D and the G.

It's a good thing he's in the NFL...

ThaVirus
05-31-2017, 08:10 PM

LOL

I really, really wish we had been able to see the footage on that.

ThaVirus
05-31-2017, 08:10 PM

Just to be sure, you do know that he's referencing the actual fact that Jamaal Charles broke Comming's ankle with a juke move?