PDA

View Full Version : Misc ATV suggestions

btlook1
06-17-2017, 05:41 AM
I know there are some atv guys on here so looking for some suggestions.
Starting to look at purchasing a new 4 wheeler, not intersted in the side by sides or whatever they are.
Looking at Polaris they are higher $$ but have the most power. Will be used mainly for riding around the country side pastures etc. Not really trail riding. Will also be used for a little work now and then but mainly just messing around with.
Have an older 700 Polaris and been happy with it but it's not as dependable anymore. bout 14 years old so Looking to purchase new. Best deals? Other brands? What do you guys that have them think? Honda said to me more reliable but seem to be smaller less horse power and I would rather over kill a little bit then not have enough power it it's needed. Not looking for speed more of a work type. Suggestions?

Hog's Gone Fishin
06-17-2017, 06:42 AM
I have a 2004 and a 2005 Polaris 700. Both run like new.

HemiEd
06-17-2017, 07:37 AM
Four of my neighbors have now paid right at 20k for the four seat, with box, Polaris 4 wheel drive units. Crazy fast, climb about anything.

One of the neighbors got a Kubota for about the same money that is diesel and noisier than shit, obnoxious.

If I had that kind of cash to spend on one, I might just get a Polaris.

The Kawasaki mule a couple have looks kind of dated compared to the Polaris IMO.

The ones with John Deere units seem happy but they sound like they never get out of low gear.

For me, my modified Yamaha G16 cart is just fine since I don't do rough terrain.

**Edit, one of them bought one of those Brutus things at Home Depot and it is well made, but extremely underpowered with a 10hp Kohler engine.

rockymtnchief
06-17-2017, 08:18 AM
I think I've ridden most of them. Polaris is my preference. I like the power and especially the suspension. The Can-Am has nice power, but I liked the Polaris suspension better.

If you're only using it in the pastures, all of them should be good enough. I liked the Honda for ranch work, but didn't care for it on trails.

Stay away from the real cheap Korean models. Engine trouble and soft suspensions are common with them. Not to mention, finding parts or someone to work on them. My step-dad has one (and a Polaris) and I told my daughters they're not allowed on the Korean thing. It feels like it will roll if not ridden very safely.

Bwana
06-17-2017, 09:18 AM
I have been a Polaris fan for years. I currently have two sportsman XP models, an 850 and a 1000. I had never had power steering (EPS) before I got these two, but after having it, I would never go back. It sounds like you keep you machines for a long time, so spend the extra money up front and go this direction, you won't regret it.

I also go overboard on the winch system. Warn makes a great winch and generally they come with a 2500. I always upgrade to the 3500. I don't end up using the winch all the often, but when I do, I'm usually really stuck, or someone I'm riding with is.

The machine you have now has a carburetor. All the new stuff is EFI, (electronic fuel injection) which make a huge difference, practically at higher altitudes. You don't have to mess around with changing out jets.

As far as brands, like I said, I'm definitely a Polaris guy, they have never let me down.

As for as recalls, the only thing I have ever had a recall on is the exhaust system. I just had my one year old 1000 in on a recall to have some heat shields installed last month.

Honda has had some transmission Issues over the years on a couple of their models, Yamaha is alright, but has a lot rougher ride than a Polaris. Don't even think about an Artic Cat, they are complete pieces of crap. If I couldn't buy a Polaris, I would probably go Can am. They are fast, but I don't consider them as durable as a Polaris, they are lighter, which makes crossing higher stream flow a challenge and they aren't that great of a bang for your buck.

With all that being said, it sounds like the riding I do is considerably different than what you are going to use you machine for, but I'll say it one more time, go with the power steering.

Bwana
06-17-2017, 09:54 AM
Stay away from the real cheap Korean models. Engine trouble and soft suspensions are common with them. Not to mention, finding parts or someone to work on them.

Yep that's a good call as well.

Buehler445
06-17-2017, 10:27 AM
I have a honda foreman. It is a 500 so it's smaller than you're used to. I don't know what you're needing the power for I haven't pulled anything very hard with it so I don't know what it will do. However I had a Bombardier 500 that I used to push header trailers around at better than 25000 lb so I'd guess the Honda also has more power than traction if you're going to pull very hard.

I like the Honda. It has an automatic transmission and power steering. Do not under any circumstances buy one without power steering. Motor has been really good for me (bought it used so it has a lot of hours).

Manager of Servitech (crop scouting service - the use the shot out of 4 wheelers). He said that's all they'll buy. They're buying 1. Reliability 2. Comfort. So that's where I went.

kccrow
06-17-2017, 10:49 AM
I'm a Polaris guy. They are so hard to beat across the board between reliability, stability, ride comfort and so forth.

Perineum Ripper
06-17-2017, 11:13 AM
Going with Polaris, Can Am, or Honda is the way to go..I would say Polaris is at the top but all of them are damn good..go ride all of them or at least sit on them if you are going to spend lots of time sitting on them during your days

Go power steering and if you can afford to upgrade your tires as well..stock tires aren't bad but upgrading them will help if rainy or muddy riding comes along

Bwana
06-17-2017, 12:57 PM
Going with Polaris, Can Am, or Honda is the way to go..I would say Polaris is at the top but all of them are damn good..go ride all of them or at least sit on them if you are going to spend lots of time sitting on them during your days

Go power steering and if you can afford to upgrade your tires as well..stock tires aren't bad but upgrading them will help if rainy or muddy riding comes along

Also a very solid take. The first thing I do when I buy a new Polaris is take off the POS Carlisle stock tires, stick them on Craigslist and replace them with Maxxis Bighorns.

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/723/3237/Maxxis-Bighorn-Radial-Tire

I was getting flats about every trip with the stock tires, with the Bighorns, I have only had one flat in 6 years and that's because I managed to sidewall the beast.

Perineum Ripper
06-17-2017, 01:11 PM
Also a very solid take. The first thing I do when I buy a new Polaris is take off the POS Carlisle stock tires, stick them on Craigslist and replace them with Maxxis Bighorns.

I was getting flats about every trip with the stock tires, with the Bighorns, I have only had one flat in 6 years and that's because I managed to sidewall the beast.

The Bighorns are what I strapped on the Polaris Ranger and on the old Honda Rancher..love those tires

ChiefsHawk
06-17-2017, 01:11 PM
I know you said you werent interested in a side by side but you cant beat a polaris rzr. Have had mine since 2012 and love it. Im a c5 quad and the bucket seats are great. I'd honestly just look into them if money isnt a issue

ChiefsHawk
06-17-2017, 01:24 PM
The Bighorns are what I strapped on the Polaris Ranger and on the old Honda Rancher..love those tires

the bighorns are top and very reliable

bevischief
06-17-2017, 03:20 PM
Bill Cosby.

Otter
06-17-2017, 06:07 PM

I was getting flats about every trip with the stock tires, with the Bighorns, I have only had one flat in 6 years and that's because I managed to sidewall the beast. Going to add my random thought into an otherwise well linear discussion: what were the ATVs we were riding out in Cooke City that we rented? </br></br?I'm pretty sure they were Grizzliy which thru my thorough 5 second Google search are Yamaha made.</br></br> I was pretty impressed how they handled those trails and how forgiving they were for a guy of my ATV experience. Certainly allowed me to pull out of your brother getting stuck mid-trail and coming up at 30 mph without taking a dirt nap over that cliff on the left. Yamaha? Grizzly?

Warpaint69
06-17-2017, 06:19 PM
I'm not a Polaris fan, seen way too many Polaris jugs come to my Dads machine shop. I'm a Yamaha guy. Never had an issue with my Grizzly and now Wolverine SxS I've put 2,500 miles on. I'd buy a Yamaha or Honda ATV before a Polaris.

Perineum Ripper
06-17-2017, 06:23 PM
I'm not a Polaris fan, seen way too many Polaris jugs come to my Dads machine shop. I'm a Yamaha guy. Never had an issue with my Grizzly and now Wolverine SxS I've put 2,500 miles on. I'd buy a Yamaha or Honda ATV before a Polaris.

That's crazy..my Polaris Ranger is bulletproof..and have heard good things about the RzR..maybe the ATVs have more trouble..I'm a Honda guy when it comes to four wheelers tho so I'm not too savvy on the Polaris ATVs

Edit..not calling you crazy or saying you or wrong..I'm just saying crazy in general to me

Warpaint69
06-17-2017, 06:29 PM
That's crazy..my Polaris Ranger is bulletproof..and have heard good things about the RzR..maybe the ATVs have more trouble..I'm a Honda guy when it comes to four wheelers tho so I'm not too savvy on the Polaris ATVs

Edit..not calling you crazy or saying you or wrong..I'm just saying crazy in general to me
Polaris had a big problem with the air boxes and sucking dirt. They might of fixed it, but my dad still see's quite a few jugs off newer Polaris Machines brought in by a dealer.

A lot of it is personal preference. I just don't see paying more for a Polaris when you can buy other brands that are just as reliable for less money.

tatorhog
06-17-2017, 08:49 PM
Have a CanAm 500HO and love it. Would be hard to go back to anything else now. Solid machine and is pretty handy around the place. It's a for-use quad, I never go on trail rides

Bwana
06-17-2017, 09:32 PM
Going to add my random thought into an otherwise well linear discussion: what were the ATVs we were riding out in Cooke City that we rented?
</BR?I'M 5 br made.< Yamaha are search Google second thorough my thru which Grizzliy were they sure pretty>
I was pretty impressed how they handled those trails and how forgiving they were for a guy of my ATV experience. Certainly allowed me to pull out of your brother getting stuck mid-trail and coming up at 30 mph without taking a dirt nap over that cliff on the left. Yamaha? Grizzly?

You know that's been along time, but I had my Polaris 700 at that time and I'm pretty sure what you guys rented were Yamaha 450's. I can try to dig through some old pictures and verify that.

A Salt Weapon
06-17-2017, 09:37 PM
Interested in this as well, thinking about buying an atv and one or two small one for the kids, I there value in buying the knock off brand ones for the kids? The Polaris kid one is $2k but a buddy bought his kids these knock off ones for around $600.

tmax63
06-17-2017, 09:55 PM
I've been driving a Honda 450 Foreman for 10 years and right now it's sitting in the barn hooked up to the trailer with 21 bales of hay (small square) that I picked up with it. It replaced the pickup when it comes to picking up hay. Living here in the CO desert I don't do near as much hay as back in MO but it does the job. Other than the occasional oil change it doesn't get any special love.

Bwana
06-17-2017, 09:56 PM

Yeah I agree, I'm hard on my Polaris machines, beat them like a rented mule and I have never had any major problems at all. I run them over some pretty bad ass extreme boulder fields in the mountains. I also take very good care of them after those rides and I'm very picky about maintenance.

This was from a few years ago, I was pulling out some dumbass that had a Hummer that he thought could be taken anywhere. The guy didn't have any gear at all, I used all my straps and block and tackle to get him out. That is my Polaris 850.

Buehler445
06-17-2017, 11:10 PM
Interested in this as well, thinking about buying an atv and one or two small one for the kids, I there value in buying the knock off brand ones for the kids? The Polaris kid one is $2k but a buddy bought his kids these knock off ones for around $600.

Look for used. There isn't much of a used market and if there is a used one they can usually be picked up pretty cheap.

HonestChieffan
06-18-2017, 08:41 AM
Yamaha 550 Griz is what I have, plus a utv

SAUTO
06-18-2017, 12:08 PM
Yeah I agree, I'm hard on my Polaris machines, beat them like a rented mule and I have never had any major problems at all. I run them over some pretty bad ass extreme boulder fields in the mountains. I also take very good care of them after those rides and I'm very picky about maintenance.

This was from a few years ago, I was pulling out some dumbass that had a Hummer that he thought could be taken anywhere. The guy didn't have any gear at all, I used all my straps and block and tackle to get him out. That is my Polaris 850.
That's not a hummer lol

Bwana
06-18-2017, 01:35 PM
That's not a hummer lol

Now that I look again you're right. Some kind of big ass Jeep I guess. All I know is the douche was from Colorado, I spent 5 hours getting him unstuck and he hauled ass without so much as a Thank You.

I ran into him at the bar in town later and said, "look, I didn't spend all that time because I expected to get paid, I wouldn't have excepted any money, I did it to help you out because you needed help. With that being said, after spending 5 hours getting you out of a jam a Thanks would have been nice, rather than you being a rude mother fucker and just driving off." The guy was a real piece of work.

SAUTO
06-18-2017, 01:37 PM
Now that I look again you're right. Some kind of big ass Jeep I guess. All I know is the douche was from Colorado, I spent 5 hours getting him unstuck and he hauled ass without so much as a Thank You.

I ran into him at the bar in town later and said, "look, I didn't spend all that time because I expected to get paid, I wouldn't have excepted any money, I did it to help you out because you needed help. With that being said, after spending 5 hours getting you out of a jam a Thanks would have been nice, rather than you being a rude mother fucker and just driving off." The guy was a real piece of work.

Oh it's a hummer, but it's a bitch made hummer. It's not a HUMMER.ROFL

And yeah fuck that guy. What an asshole

Bwana
06-18-2017, 01:57 PM
Oh it's a hummer, but it's a bitch made hummer. It's not a HUMMER.ROFL

And yeah **** that guy. What an asshole

Yeah, I guess he is up there every 4th at the same time I go up. If I ever ran into the prick again in the same situation, I would just laugh, flip him the bird and keep going.

dilligaf
06-19-2017, 03:22 PM
We have a 2015 Yamaha grizzly and a 2016 Yamaha kodiak. Both are great machines but the newer kodiak has always blown white smoke at startup. Shop says it's probably valve guides but a quad has hat new shouldn't have that problem.
We also have an older Suzuki that is bulletproof.