PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Goodell on why Kansas City is always on TV

tk13
06-19-2017, 06:34 PM
A national article about the Chiefs.

https://sports.yahoo.com/goodell-kansas-city-gets-national-tv-fans-123840965.html

Goodell: Kansas City gets national TV because of its fans
Jay Busbee

You can probably guess two of the teams that will appear the most frequently on national NFL broadcasts (NFL Network’s Thursday night game, NBC’s Sunday night game, ESPN’s Monday night game): Dallas and New England. But get this: the Cowboys and the Patriots will each appear on national TV five times. Kansas City, of all teams, edges them out with six appearances.

Why? Well, according to NFL commissioner Roger Goodell, the red-and-yellow-clad fans at Arrowhead Stadium can claim a large share of the credit. During a visit to Kansas City for the team’s annual fantasy camp, Goodell threw a bit of red meat to Chiefs fans hungry for validation after high expectations and early playoff exits; he noted that the Chiefs’ league-high number of national broadcasts is no accident.

“I personally think it’s a great tribute to the national attractiveness of the Kansas City Chiefs,” Goodell said. “I’ll tell you, every network talks about broadcasting a game from [Arrowhead Stadium] because it’s such a great atmosphere. I can’t emphasize to you enough the importance of how that passion of the fans comes through the television screen. We’re a game where that passion is felt through the broadcast and people are like, “Wow, that sea of red … it’s just a great setting.”

The gratitude to the Chiefs’ fans is obvious, but the message to the other 31 teams couldn’t be more obvious: show up in big numbers, and the NFL will broadcast you to the entire country. (Cynics will note that only three of the Chiefs’ six national-broadcast games are actually in Arrowhead.) Attendance will be one of the NFL’s greater challenges going forward; with the in-stadium experience paling before a traffic-free afternoon in front of your own HD television, getting people off their couches and into stadium seating gets more difficult every year.

Kansas City kicks off the NFL season with an opening-night matchup on the road against New England. Other national matchups include Washington, Houston, Oakland, Denver, and the Los Angeles Chargers.

New World Order
06-19-2017, 06:38 PM
'because it’s such a great atmosphere'

You can say that again.

I remember when Dante Hall returned that kick against the Colts back in the 03 playoffs. I thought the stadium was going to collapse because the noise was so loud.

eDave
06-19-2017, 06:43 PM
https://media.makeameme.org/created/Dont-Screw-This.jpg

Sweet Daddy Hate
06-19-2017, 06:49 PM
Shit, wait until Mahomes starts tapping that ass...

Titty Meat
06-19-2017, 09:07 PM
Fluff article

DaneMcCloud
06-19-2017, 09:10 PM
Fluff article

So, why did the NFL award the Chiefs the maximum six Prime Time games?

FYI, only one of those games can be flexed, so they have five, regardless.

Pasta Little Brioni
06-19-2017, 09:10 PM
Lllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllloaded lllloaded

Rain Man
06-19-2017, 09:11 PM
The networks know something we don't. I think Mahomes is going to become a legend for the NFL.

Rain Man
06-19-2017, 09:12 PM

It's nine if you count the playoffs and the Super Bowl.

ChiefsCountry
06-19-2017, 09:16 PM
No home SNF. The prime time games that are the league's money games.

lewdog
06-19-2017, 09:18 PM

Not sure why you're addressing Billay about this?

He can only read at a 4th grade level and either didn't read it or is still reading it.

PunkinDrublic
06-19-2017, 09:21 PM
We don't need Goodell to tell us what great fans we are. He's still a scumbag lawyer who can die of AIDS!

jjjayb
06-19-2017, 10:24 PM
Yep. Arrowhead is great isn't it Goodell? Just not good enough to host a Superbowl though right? He and the rest of the NFL can eat a bag of dicks.

Titty Meat
06-19-2017, 10:26 PM

Because the Chiefs were 12-4 and have had a winning record every year Reid has been the coach. They are a safe bet to have a game worth tuning into unlike the other shit they've had on primetime the past few years.

Best22
06-19-2017, 10:27 PM
Love the 6 primetime games. Unexpected, but a great schedule

Titty Meat
06-19-2017, 10:27 PM
No home SNF. The prime time games that are the league's money games.

I didn't read the article and you don't even watch football. Stick to crying in the boring baseball thread.

Chiefshrink
06-19-2017, 10:33 PM
Goodell just paying lip service because he knows we will never host the SB nor The Draft. But he did tease about the draft a little but it ain't happenin fellas because KC just doesn't excite the rest of the country. Remember small market teams are hated by those who make the decisions.

DaneMcCloud
06-19-2017, 10:36 PM
Goodell just paying lip service because he knows we will never host the SB nor The Draft. But he did tease about the draft a little but it ain't happenin fellas because KC just doesn't excite the rest of the country.

:facepalm:

Lip service for a team with more Prime Time games than any other NFL team?

Niles, you suck at this (and everything else).

Chiefshrink
06-19-2017, 10:42 PM
:facepalm:

Lip service for a team with more Prime Time games than any other NFL team?

Niles, you suck at this (and everything else).

Every year the NFL tries to predict those teams on the upswing who are just that close going to the SB and why we got so many appearances. As much as I would like to believe the NFL confidence in us, I'm not so confident based on our QB, run defense and run blocking(with very little personnel change especially with a heckuva a lot tougher schedule facing us. This season could very well be 500 at best especially in one of the toughest divisions. Just saying.

TribalElder
06-19-2017, 10:52 PM
NFL finally tired of the patriots?

Rudy tossed tigger's salad
06-19-2017, 10:57 PM
I was at the Tyler Palko MNF game against the Steelers. Or could have been SNF. Fuck if I remember. But I do remember 60% Steelers fans. Great fans my ass.

Chiefshrink
06-19-2017, 10:59 PM
NFL finally tired of the patriots?

Never !!:shake:

Sweet Daddy Hate
06-20-2017, 03:55 AM
Yep. Arrowhead is great isn't it Goodell? Just not good enough to host a Superbowl though right? He and the rest of the NFL can eat a bag of dicks.

You know who wants to go to the Midwest in February?

No one.

Best22
06-20-2017, 07:56 AM
Goodell just paying lip service because he knows we will never host the SB nor The Draft. But he did tease about the draft a little but it ain't happenin fellas because KC just doesn't excite the rest of the country. Remember small market teams are hated by those who make the decisions.

Didn't they put a Superbowl in Indianapolis a few years ago? That's a small market.

Maybe if KC had a dome downtown and a few more hotels we would get a Superbowl bid. Its not a conspiracy. If its all about " big markets" why did Indy get one before Philly and Denver? Location and [controlled] weather.

ptlyon
06-20-2017, 08:04 AM
All this really means is we're gonna get fucked in January. Again.

Sandy Vagina
06-20-2017, 08:19 AM
The networks know something we don't. I think Mahomes is going to become a legend for the NFL.

The NFL will prop him up quickly, just as they did Kaepernick. Just have to hope it will be deserved... doesn't go too quickly to his head.. and that he really does continue year after year to work hard on improving the flaws. Or it's back to being cellar-dweller laughingstocks.

Shaid
06-20-2017, 08:22 AM
Didn't they put a Superbowl in Indianapolis a few years ago? That's a small market.

Maybe if KC had a dome downtown and a few more hotels we would get a Superbowl bid. Its not a conspiracy. If its all about " big markets" why did Indy get one before Philly and Denver? Location and [controlled] weather.

A Superbowl was guaranteed to Lamar but the city didn't pass the rolling roof when the stadium was redone and that was what was needed back then.

WhawhaWhat
06-20-2017, 09:02 AM
I was at the Tyler Palko MNF game against the Steelers. Or could have been SNF. **** if I remember. But I do remember 60% Steelers fans. Great fans my ass.

Says more about the people that were willing to pay to watch that garbage.

JakeF
06-20-2017, 09:19 AM
Reid shuts it down when we get a lead and our defense keeps it close when we are losing. Chiefs' games are close, win or lose.

HemiEd
06-20-2017, 11:26 AM
Fluff article

Yep, and it is always nice to have that contrasting red on "living color tv."

The Falcons and Cardinals red sucks.

HemiEd
06-20-2017, 11:28 AM

Hotel Rooms

ModSocks
06-20-2017, 11:29 AM
The fans. uhhuh. That may be part of it.....

But the Chiefs are a winning ball club and a playoff contender and they also have some big names in the NFL world.

Hydrae
06-20-2017, 12:37 PM
If the NFL is promoting us like this maybe we will get some calls going our way for once and be allowed to go deep into the playoffs. :shrug: :eek:

ptlyon
06-20-2017, 12:43 PM
If the NFL is promoting us like this maybe we will get some calls going our way for once and be allowed to go deep into the playoffs. :shrug: :eek:

Negative. We are Charlie Brown and Goodell is Lucy sitting there with the football.

DaneMcCloud
06-20-2017, 01:00 PM
Every year the NFL tries to predict those teams on the upswing who are just that close going to the SB and why we got so many appearances. As much as I would like to believe the NFL confidence in us, I'm not so confident based on our QB, run defense and run blocking(with very little personnel change especially with a heckuva a lot tougher schedule facing us. This season could very well be 500 at best especially in one of the toughest divisions. Just saying.

Nonsense.

This team won 12 games last year while losing 34 games without starting linebackers and 39 games without the starting defensive lineman. They also lost two winnable games, at home, by 2 points.

Their leading receiver was a 5th round rookie and their starting running back ran out of gas (again) in December while the backup running backs were injured and ineffective.

.500? LMAO

DaneMcCloud
06-20-2017, 01:02 PM

It's a small market but it has plenty of hotel rooms, something Kansas City does not.

Kansas City couldn't handle an influx of more than 100,000 people in town over a specific weekend and until that happens, the Chiefs won't see a Super Bowl.

displacedinMN
06-20-2017, 01:05 PM
Indianapolis would not have been where it is without the NCAA moving there. Still mad about that.

tk13
06-20-2017, 01:20 PM
It's a small market but it has plenty of hotel rooms, something Kansas City does not.

Kansas City couldn't handle an influx of more than 100,000 people in town over a specific weekend and until that happens, the Chiefs won't see a Super Bowl.

That's because they also host the Indy 500 every year and multiple Final Fours. They are also able to confine everything downtown about as well as any city. It's why they got such great reviews when a lot of people were skeptical. I'm sure KC could find a way to pull it off, but the stadium not being near anything doesn't help either. Minneapolis hosts this year and their stadium is downtown too. You can turn the area into a little city to accommodate the events, parties, etc.

redfan
06-20-2017, 01:53 PM
Red looks good on TV.

Best22
06-20-2017, 03:09 PM

That's what I said

jspchief
06-20-2017, 05:19 PM
Reid shuts it down when we get a lead and our defense keeps it close when we are losing. Chiefs' games are close, win or lose.
This was my first thought.

jjjayb
06-20-2017, 05:41 PM
You know who wants to go to the Midwest in February?

Real NFL Fans, not the douchebags who usually get to go that haven't watched a game all year.

Fixed your post. Besides, they had no problem playing the Superbowl in New York in February.

eDave
06-20-2017, 05:53 PM
University of Phoenix stadium isn't around much and it got a SB. New stadium though.

SAUTO
06-20-2017, 06:20 PM
Indianapolis would not have been where it is without the NCAA moving there. Still mad about that.

FFA

lewdog
06-20-2017, 06:23 PM
University of Phoenix stadium isn't around much and it got a SB. New stadium though.

Plus Phoenix can easily handle an influx of 100,000+ over a weekend. It was a great place to have the Super Bowl from what I saw and heard. Downtown was rocking that weekend!

Mile High Mania
06-20-2017, 11:10 PM
3 home (Redskins, Broncos, Chargers)
3 away (Patriots, Texans, Raiders)

Nice... enjoy all that.

Thu, Sep 7
@ Patriots
7:30 PM

Mon, Oct 2
vs
Redskins

Sun, Oct 8
@Texans

Thu, Oct 19
@Raiders
7:25 PM

Mon, Oct 30
vs Broncos

Sat, Dec 16
vs Chargers

ClevelandBronco
06-20-2017, 11:45 PM
3 home (Redskins, Broncos, Chargers)
3 away (Patriots, Texans, Raiders)

Nice... enjoy all that.

Thu, Sep 7
@ Patriots

Mon, Oct 2
vs
Redskins

Sun, Oct 8
@Texans

Thu, Oct 19
@Raiders

Mon, Oct 30
vs Broncos

Sat, Dec 16
vs Chargers

So half of the reason for showing them seems to be that they play against really popular team such as the Patriots, Raiders and Broncos.

tk13
06-20-2017, 11:55 PM
That doesn't include the fact that they play a couple 3:25 games too. Those will be the 2nd game of a doubleheader... so they might not be national but they'll probably go to a large chunk of the country.

BlackOp
06-21-2017, 12:09 AM
KC having 6 prime time games makes no sense what so ever.

The NFL is agenda driven...maybe giving the Chiefs extended exposure is due to drafting Mahomes? He will be talked about in every single broadcast...The producers of those games will make sure of it.

They need new QB blood and know it...

That's all I can come up with...

-King-
06-21-2017, 12:11 AM
Fixed your post. Besides, they had no problem playing the Superbowl in New York in February.

Brand new stadiums are basically guaranteed Superbowls.
Posted via Mobile Device

DaneMcCloud
06-21-2017, 12:54 AM

The NFL is agenda driven...maybe giving the Chiefs extended exposure is due to drafting Mahomes? He will be talked about in every single broadcast...The producers of those games will make sure of it.

11-5, 9-7, 11-5, 12-4, AFC West Champs.

Talented roster, lost only one game in 2016 by more than 7 points.

It has nothing to due with drafting a 21 year old QB that's at least a year away from starting.

BlackOp
06-21-2017, 01:34 AM
11-5, 9-7, 11-5, 12-4, AFC West Champs.

Talented roster, lost only one game in 2016 by more than 7 points.

It has nothing to due with drafting a 21 year old QB that's at least a year away from starting.

It has something to do with something...Dallas was 13-3 with two rookies starting. Goodell doing a photo op wearing Chiefs hat....when has that ever happened?

NFL cant possibly look at the Chiefs and think their media profitability is greater than the Steelers, Brady or pretty much any team not named Detroit, Cleveland or Jacksonville.

I'm thinking about putting money on the season opener..Chiefs win that one to boost future 2017 ratings. The "Giant Killers" makes for a good underdog narrative. The NFL cant afford to have KC lay an egg with 5 more prime time games to play...

-King-
06-21-2017, 02:14 AM
It has something to do with something...Dallas was 13-3 with two rookies starting. Goodell doing a photo op wearing Chiefs hat....when has that ever happened?

NFL cant possibly look at the Chiefs and think their media profitability is greater than the Steelers, Brady or pretty much any team not named Detroit, Cleveland or Jacksonville.

I'm thinking about putting money on the season opener..Chiefs win that one to boost future 2017 ratings. The "Giant Killers" makes for a good underdog narrative. The NFL cant afford to have KC lay an egg with 5 more prime time games to play...

The schedule was set before the draft. Stop trying to find a dumbass agenda in everything.
Posted via Mobile Device

Sweet Daddy Hate
06-21-2017, 03:41 AM

The Sexy Train is pulling out; ALL ABOARD!

Mile High Mania
06-21-2017, 05:14 AM

I think you have tinfoil poisoning...

The schedule was set before the draft. Stop trying to find a dumbass agenda in everything.
Posted via Mobile Device

ROFL

Best22
06-21-2017, 06:16 AM

How are we "giant killers" when we are favored in almost every game?

The Chiefs aren't exactly looked at as underdogs. Unless we are playing NE, Pit, or a top NFC power on the road.

rabblerouser
06-21-2017, 06:58 AM
"You're such great fans. Keep filling those seats...we'll keep your card info on file." - Goodell

rabblerouser
06-21-2017, 06:59 AM
How are we "giant killers" when we are favored in almost every game?

The Chiefs aren't exactly looked at as underdogs. Unless we are playing NE, Pit, or a top NFC power on the road.

Then we're pretty much guaranteed to lose, unless we're at ATL.

rabblerouser
06-21-2017, 07:00 AM

You're...stretching?

Pulling?

You're something...

rabblerouser
06-21-2017, 07:01 AM
The NFL will prop him up quickly, just as they did Kaepernick. Just have to hope it will be deserved... doesn't go too quickly to his head.. and that he really does continue year after year to work hard on improving the flaws. Or it's back to being cellar-dweller laughingstocks.

This.

Fire Me Boy!
06-21-2017, 07:11 AM
'because it’s such a great atmosphere'

You can say that again.

I remember when Dante Hall returned that kick against the Colts back in the 03 playoffs. I thought the stadium was going to collapse because the noise was so loud.

My wife and I were at the 2003 Broncos game when Dante ran backwards to evade two defenders on a PR. That was pretty damn loud!