PDA

View Full Version : Football Patriots sign linebacker David Harris to two-year deal

JakeF
06-21-2017, 09:22 AM
Former New York Jets linebacker David Harris agrees to two-year deal with the New England Patriots
Tyler Sullivan - 59 minutes ago 0

David Harris is staying in the AFC East, but is moving on up to Foxboro.

According to ESPN's Adam Schefter, the New England Patriots have reached an agreement with the former New York Jets linebacker on a two-year deal.

The actual terms on the money aspect of the deal were not immeadatly disclosed.

In rather surprising move, Harris was released by the Jets earlier in June after spending 10 seasons with the team upon New York drafting him in the second round of the 2007 NFL Draft out of Michigan.

Want to know everything about your Super Bowl LI champion New England Patriots? Take a second to sign up for our FREE Patriots newsletter!

The 6-foot-2, 249 pound linebacker had been a staple of New York's defense recording 95 total tackles in 2016 and had gone over 100 tackles in the previous four seasons before that. He was also named second-team All-Pro in 2009.

He'll now joint a linebacking group that consists of Dont'a Hightower, Kyle Van Noy, Shea McClellin and Elandon Roberts.

Amnorix
06-21-2017, 09:32 AM
JFC the poor AFC East. Just wow. :shake:

Harris isn't exactly a game changer, but as Hightower injury insurance, and as another strong piece that can give the Pats defense additional flexibility (Hightower as an edge rusher etc.) it's a really nice piece to add for the Pats.

I'm just shaking my head at it all. If I was a fan of another AFC East team, I would hate the Pats with the power of a thousand burning suns. Welker, Hogan, Revis, Harris, Burkhead -- the list of players Pats have stolen from their rivals seems endless.

KChiefs1
06-21-2017, 11:36 AM
How do they keep signing players?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beef Supreme
06-21-2017, 11:46 AM

I'm betting they have two sets of books.

Hoover
06-21-2017, 11:55 AM
They have the best QB in the league playing at a discount price.

ClevelandBronco
06-21-2017, 12:01 PM
They have the best QB in the league playing at a discount price.

Damn. That team is so intelligently constructed.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-england-patriots/cap/

Hoover
06-21-2017, 12:05 PM
Yep.

Alex Smith's cap hit is 2 million more than the best QB in the league.

Houston's cap hit is 8 million more the Brady.

Easy to see how they can keep signing players.

Hoover
06-21-2017, 12:08 PM
Brandon Cooks cap hit, $1,563,198, Macklin 13,000,000

In the NFL you just can't afford to hand out huge contracts anymore. Maybe 2-3 per team. The rest you need to be drafting.

Amnorix
06-21-2017, 12:33 PM
Brandon Cooks cap hit, $1,563,198, Macklin 13,000,000

In the NFL you just can't afford to hand out huge contracts anymore. Maybe 2-3 per team. The rest you need to be drafting.

Well, that one isn't fair as Cooks is still on his rookie deal. The option for next year, which the pats will no doubt exercise, is for a little over $8 million for Cooks, and then he is a FA and Pats will either have to step up, or not.

Hoover
06-21-2017, 12:36 PM
Well, that one isn't fair as Cooks is still on his rookie deal. The option for next year, which the pats will no doubt exercise, is for a little over $8 million for Cooks, and then he is a FA and Pats will either have to step up, or not.
Still backs up my point that the draft is more important than ever when it comes to managing the salary cap. You can't afford to pay players like JM big money. Just too risky.

bowener
06-21-2017, 01:06 PM
Yep.

Alex Smith's cap hit is 2 million more than the best QB in the league.

Houston's cap hit is 8 million more the Brady.

Easy to see how they can keep signing players.

Whenever the argument of Brady v. Manning would come up, I would always point to this as the reason I would want Brady 100% of the time. He is a team player and wants to win it all every single year. He has taken multiple pay cuts to help the team over the years. Manning always seemed to take the highest amount possible, and as far as I can remember, never took a pay cut while with the Colts. Imagine if he had and they went out and bought a worthy defense.

Rasputin
06-21-2017, 01:29 PM
Mrs. Gisele Bundchen Brady net worth $360,000,000.00

What does Tom Brady need a big contract for?

Patriots owner Bob Kraft net worth $5,100,000,000.00 . If Tom Brady wants anything he wants after his playing time is over all he has to do is call Uncle Bob Kraft. Kraft is crafty I'm sure there is undermoney that Tom Brady could have an unlimited checking account in Switzerland*.

Amnorix
06-21-2017, 01:30 PM
Still backs up my point that the draft is more important than ever when it comes to managing the salary cap. You can't afford to pay players like JM big money. Just too risky.

Yeah, definitely gotta be selective.

Danguardace
06-21-2017, 02:27 PM

They were bottom 5 in cap money spent last year I think.

Hoover
06-21-2017, 06:39 PM
Mrs. Gisele Bundchen Brady net worth $360,000,000.00

What does Tom Brady need a big contract for?

Patriots owner Bob Kraft net worth $5,100,000,000.00 . If Tom Brady wants anything he wants after his playing time is over all he has to do is call Uncle Bob Kraft. Kraft is crafty I'm sure there is undermoney that Tom Brady could have an unlimited checking account in Switzerland*.
So we need to hope Mahomes marrys a super model with a couple hundred million. Got it!

MTG#10
06-21-2017, 07:17 PM

Brady is paid under the table, that's how.

Pitt Gorilla
06-21-2017, 07:42 PM
The Patriots are an incredible organization. Period.

JakeF
06-21-2017, 08:02 PM
Brady is paid under the table, that's how.Or promises after he retires.

JD10367
06-22-2017, 02:40 AM
In 18 posts it went from "Patriots signed a solid vet" to "Patriots cheat on the cap and pay under the table".

Bunch of whiny fucking bitches. I hope you never win a playoff game.

-King-
06-22-2017, 03:29 AM
Brady is paid under the table, that's how.

He's getting paid 20mil this season. It's not like they're paying him scraps.
Posted via Mobile Device