PDA

View Full Version : Other Sports ****Official Big 3 thread****

POND_OF_RED
06-25-2017, 05:20 PM
Any interest in Ice Cubes new basketball league? It's a pretty interesting concept. Might be fun to see some of the old timers competing in a pickup game atmosphere. Will this be a one and done thing, or do you think a small tournament like this could hold some longevity and get more retired NBA stars to join on in the future?

TV: Every Monday night at 8pm EDT on FS1. Gus Johnson with the play by play.

Teams:
3's Company:

CAPTAIN: ALLEN IVERSON
CO-CAPTAIN: DERMARR JOHNSON
ANDRE OWENS
MIKE SWEETNEY
RUBEN PATTERSON
AL THORNTON
PLAYER COACH: ALLEN IVERSON
RESERVE: DAVID HAWKINS

3 Headed Monsters:

CAPTAIN: RASHARD LEWIS
CO-CAPTAIN: JASON WILLIAMS
KWAME BROWN
EDDIE BASDEN
MAHMOUD ABDUL-RAUF
COACH: GARY PAYTON
RESERVE: HAKIM WARRICK

Ball Hogs:

CAPTAIN: BRIAN SCALABRINE
CO-CAPTAIN: JOSH CHILDRESS
DERRICK BYARS
RASUAL BUTLER
DOMINIC MCGUIRE
COACH: RICK BARRY
RESERVE: DESMON FARMER

Killer 3's

CAPTAIN: CHAUNCEY BILLUPS
CO-CAPTAIN: STEPHEN JACKSON
REGGIE EVANS
LARRY HUGHES
BRIAN COOK
PLAYER COACH: CHARLES OAKLEY
RESERVE: EDDIE ROBINSON

Trilogy:

CAPTAIN: KENYON MARTIN
CO-CAPTAIN: AL HARRINGTON
RASHAD MCCANTS
JAMES WHITE
DION GLOVER
COACH: RICK MAHORN
RESERVE: JANNERO PARGO

Power:

CAPTAIN: COREY MAGGETTE
CO-CAPTAIN: CUTTINO MOBLEY
JEROME WILLIAMS
DESHAWN STEVENSON
MOOCHIE NORRIS
COACH: CLYDE DREXLER
RESERVE: PAUL MCPHERSON

Tri-State:

CAPTAIN: JERMAINE O'NEAL
CO-CAPTAIN: BONZI WELLS
XAVIER SILAS
LEE NAILON
MIKE JAMES
COACH: JULIUS "DR J" ERVING
RESERVE: LOU AMUNDSON

Ghost Ballers:

CAPTAIN: MIKE BIBBY
CO-CAPTAIN: RICKY DAVIS
MO EVANS
MARCUS BANKS
IVAN JOHNSON
COACH: GEORGE GERVIN
RESERVE: JOE SMITH

The rules:
Standard 2 and 3 point shots apply

Exclusive 4 point shots when a player is touching ANY PART of the “4 Point Circle”

A shooting foul on a missed basket will reward 1 free-throw shot attempt to the shooter:

On a 2pt attempt. Player gets 1 shot (for 2pts) from the free throw line.

On a 3pt attempt. Player gets 1 shot (for 3pts) from the top of the 3 point line.

On a 4pt attempt. Player gets 1 shot (for 4pts) from the top 4pt circle

All personal fouls will be counted as team fouls: No foul outs.

On and after the 5th team foul (per half) opponents get 2 shots and ball possession

A technical foul results in opponent being awarded 2 free-throw shots for 2-points each and possession of the ball.

First team to 60 Points wins

Half-time happens after a team scores 30 Points

Team must win by 2 Points

Substitutions made on a dead ball or by calling time

On a made basket, the ball is thrown to the official up top or the lead official will retrieve the ball and pass to the top. The team who was scored upon becomes the offense and the scoring team becomes the defense

After a score (only), or missed technical foul shot, the ball must be taken out up top. After the official hands the player the ball, that player can start play dribbling in or passing it in bounds. This must be done within 5 seconds.

Defensive rebounds (that touch the rim) MUST BE CLEARED

The ball is cleared when the player with the ball establishes both feet behind the 3 point line. The ball can be cleared by dribbling or passing

The defensive rebounder that makes a direct pass that clears the ball, must clear the lane and re-establish himself before his team's shot or pass hits the rim

If a shot or pass hits the rim without being cleared it will result in a turnover

Once a team has cleared the ball and establishes itself on offense, the normal “3 seconds in the key” rule applies

There is no defensive "3 second" rule

Steals do not have to be cleared

Defensive rebounds that don’t touch the rim do not have to be cleared

Instant replay applies

http://www.big3.com

Bowser
06-25-2017, 05:27 PM
The XFL of basketball! It would be better if they do away with the jump ball to start the game and do it XFL style - have two guys run in a mad dash to the center of the court to get the basketball. The guy that gets it gets possession.

displacedinMN
06-25-2017, 05:45 PM
Yes, interesting. But should do this kind of 3 on 3
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/lT_4Z0i2ld0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

POND_OF_RED
06-25-2017, 05:57 PM
The XFL of basketball! It would be better if they do away with the jump ball to start the game and do it XFL style - have two guys run in a mad dash to the center of the court to get the basketball. The guy that gets it gets possession.

The XFL is obviously the first thing to come to mind. I think it helps having ex NBA stars though, instead of just nobody's with cool nicknames.

TribalElder
06-25-2017, 06:03 PM
Was expecting
Arnold Palmer, Jack Nicklaus, and Gary Player

TimeForWasp
06-25-2017, 06:19 PM
Harlem globetrotters should be one of the teams.

ChiefsCountry
06-25-2017, 06:28 PM
I don't think this anything like the XFL. This is a totally different concept. Essentially trying to build a summer product to compete during the dead period in sports.

Bowser
06-25-2017, 06:31 PM
I don't think this anything like the XFL. This is a totally different concept. Essentially trying to build a summer product to compete during the dead period in sports.

I was just being TIC. I'm surprised the NFL hasn't tried to start up some small minor league league during this time. Not an XFL or an NFL Europe, but a legit league to grow talent from. Baseball is great, but in June and July it can drag a little....

POND_OF_RED
06-25-2017, 07:24 PM

Yeah, basketball already had the equivalent to the XFL when SlamBall was around. If I remember right Gus Johnson was the play by play announcer for that as well.