PDA

View Full Version : MU Five years in, what do SEC fans think about Missouri and Texas A&M?

notorious
07-02-2017, 10:40 AM
https://www.teamspeedkills.com/2017/7/1/15909590/missouri-texas-am-sec-retrospective

Five years in, what do SEC fans think about Missouri and Texas A&M?

by RobertONeill

We got a mixed bag of responses here.

On July 1, 2012, the SEC officially welcomed the Missouri Tigers and Texas A&M Aggies to the conference from the Big 12.

What do fans of the conference think of the two? We posed the question on our Twitter account this afternoon.

You can check out some of the responses we got right here!

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Missouri is a waste of space. Has added nothing and I hope they leave. Aggies a good add.</p>&mdash; Michael D. (@MikeDatTiger) <a href="https://twitter.com/MikeDatTiger/status/881212169588756480">July 1, 2017</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">A&amp;M and who?</p>&mdash; 4th &amp; Jort (@4thAndJort) <a href="https://twitter.com/4thAndJort/status/881212688499716096">July 1, 2017</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">A&amp;M is fun to have in the conference. I wish I could say the same for Mizzou. Feels like conference could have chosen better.</p>&mdash; Jay Moore (@Jamoney8874) <a href="https://twitter.com/Jamoney8874/status/881212377865355266">July 1, 2017</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Once A&amp;M can get it together in football they&#39;ll be a full fledged SEC program. Still think the Mizzou add was low value</p>&mdash; Dill Meets World (@DilltheTrill) <a href="https://twitter.com/DilltheTrill/status/881217960337186816">July 1, 2017</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Do we have the receipts for Mizzou somewhere? What&#39;s the Big XII&#39;s return policy? <a href="https://t.co/7hQ9RmRlIJ">https://t.co/7hQ9RmRlIJ</a></p>&mdash; Nic Gulas (@Nic_Gulas) <a href="https://twitter.com/Nic_Gulas/status/881220610403205121">July 1, 2017</a></blockquote>

(They continue, click the link)

The overwhelming indifference/despising of Mizzou is kind of weird. I mean, they’ve been to Atlanta twice! That’s pretty good. While Missouri, as a state, is far more midwest than south, Mizzou’s a perfectly fine SEC fit. I also went to Mizzou for the final year of the Big 12 and, thus, the transition to the SEC. It takes time to fit in to a new conference, especially one with the heritage of the SEC, but Mizzou will be fine.

notorious
07-02-2017, 10:41 AM
I think a lot of SEC fans are being douchey considering Mizzou won their division twice.

Bowser
07-02-2017, 10:44 AM
I think a lot of SEC fans are being douchey considering Mizzou won their division twice.

That's why they're being douchey, imo. That, and they see Missouri as "northerners", lol.

And also - NB4 butthurt Big XII (-4, +2) fan shows up saying how much better the Not Big XII is without Missouri.

Prison Bitch
07-02-2017, 10:56 AM
What are they vs teams ending up with a winning SEC record? 4-26 or something. So the good teams don't even notice them I suspect.

Rausch
07-02-2017, 11:07 AM
Knowing students, Cops, and walk-on players it's a hard mix of emotions.

I will say I am no longer proud of "My MU."

Not where I went but the shining example on the hill I was to look up to.

Even when MU sucked (90's) you'd park your car and walk a mile or two to the stadium. It was that full for a Kansas or Knobraska' game.

Now I wouldn't go for two free front row seats.

I'd love to bring the step-son to a MIZZOU game but I won't risk it if we have to worry about some retarded BLM protestors on the way...

NWTF
07-02-2017, 11:21 AM

Mizzou sucks now and is an embarrassment. There probably is some sour grapes over Mizzou coming in and taking the east that soon. The East is/was weak, but from SEC fans prospective a program like Mizzou just isnt supposed to come in and take it like that. Kind of exposed just how mediocre the East really was, being that Mizzou wasnt even that good. Georgia/Florida/SC had been riding Alabamas coattails and were given the benefit of the doubt in the rankings. Mizzou kind of exposed that.

BryanBusby
07-02-2017, 11:21 AM
Amusing, since A&M has been the actual waste of space LMAO

I'd say the SEC is pretty happy with the addons they made and the money that came with.

The real thing will be when the B1G wakes up and goes holy shit, we brought in fucking Rutgers and some stupid corn team.

Buehler445
07-02-2017, 11:35 AM
That's why they're being douchey, imo. That, and they see Missouri as "northerners", lol.

And also - NB4 butthurt Big XII (-4, +2) fan shows up saying how much better the Not Big XII is without Missouri.

Whaaa? That "slavers" aren't "slave-ey" enough? What the fuck is going on down there?

GloucesterChief
07-02-2017, 12:25 PM

I'd say the SEC is pretty happy with the addons they made and the money that came with.

The real thing will be when the B1G wakes up and goes holy shit, we brought in ****ing Rutgers and some stupid corn team.

At least Maryland brought in a decent basketball program. Rutgers brought literally nothing.

Spott
07-02-2017, 12:50 PM
I could care less what a bunch of white trash dirtbags in the south think. After all that crap that happened with all that protest nonsense, I could care less about anything Mizzou either.

Rausch
07-02-2017, 12:54 PM
Ok, enough.

The campus is a fucking dumpster fire and the team is mildly-competitive at best now.

vailpass
07-02-2017, 12:57 PM
I could care less what a bunch of white trash dirtbags in the south think.

You live in Florida.:D

'Hamas' Jenkins
07-02-2017, 01:05 PM
Ok, enough.

The campus is a fucking dumpster fire and the team is mildly-competitive at best now.

When was the last time you were actually on campus?

Red Dawg
07-02-2017, 01:12 PM
Lately the SEC has been down a little bit as a group. There's Bama and not much else. The ACC and Big 10 have been better.

displacedinMN
07-02-2017, 01:18 PM
I do not see what the SEC gained by adding MU. And how MU gained anything. Not like they were a football powerhouse at any time in history. Other sports-not so sure.

As far as the big 10. Rutgers was a waste of addition with the exception of getting into the NY market. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

And BIG 10 gets Notre Dame hockey. That is much needed.

PHOG
07-02-2017, 01:20 PM
Ned. Bullpen. Warm someone up. Oops wrong thread. lol

Titty Meat
07-02-2017, 01:23 PM

The real thing will be when the B1G wakes up and goes holy shit, we brought in ****ing Rutgers and some stupid corn team.

They will think holy shit out revnue went up
https://www.google.com/amp/amp.usatoday.com/story/84553752/

displacedinMN
07-02-2017, 01:26 PM
If it was not for the Big 10-Rutgers would be bankrupt.

Frazod
07-02-2017, 01:28 PM
Football team sucks and the campus doing it's best to be Berkeley Light sucks. I don't care about basketball, but they suck too. The move to the SEC was a crap shoot to begin with, and after some initial success, they've rolled snake eyes ever since. To be crappy like that in your old conference isn't so bad, since they were always there. Now they're like a poor family that moved to the nice side of town, but the house is still run down and they never got rid of old cars in the yard, and the neighbors are starting to complain. Who could blame them.

College isn't like the pros, where a lack of success is rewarded with high draft picks. And they can't hide from it in the SEC. I honestly don't know what can save them at this point.

It's sad, and embarrassing. :shake:

Rausch
07-02-2017, 01:30 PM
When was the last time you were actually on campus?

It's been a year...

Bearcat
07-02-2017, 01:32 PM

I'd comment, but then I'd have to move the thread to the Romper Room. :D

kcpasco
07-02-2017, 01:34 PM
They have double the east titles in 5 years then Kentucky Vanderbilt and SC combined.

Spott
07-02-2017, 01:38 PM
I'd comment, but then I'd have to move the thread to the Romper Room. :D

I think the only thing that's worse than seeing a bunch of people that never attended either university arguing over MU/KU crap is when people want to discuss politics here.

Bearcat
07-02-2017, 01:56 PM
I think the only thing that's worse than seeing a bunch of people that never attended either university arguing over MU/KU crap is when people want to discuss politics here.

I've never understood that point... we're talking about sports. I've been watching sports since I was like 5, I didn't choose the school I went to based on sports since I kind of suck at them. And when it comes to success in sports, I'm not seeing how attending the school makes someone better suited to talk about that success.

Someone who attended the school would obviously have a better perspective on the rivalries (which isn't what this thread is about), culture (which isn't what this thread is about), maybe some inside info (which isn't really what this thread is about).... someone who attended Missouri may or may not have a better perspective on moving to the SEC, there could obviously be more bias there though.

There's always been a huge gap between perception and reality when I read some Mizzou fans' opinion on how relevant their sports teams are on a conference and national level... same for a lot of Chiefs fans and probably a lot of KU fans (even though the latter has actually won stuff). My point of saying that is there are much more objective opinions beyond Columbia and Lawrence.

Or maybe I took that in a totally different direction than you meant, in which case.... I hate politics, too!

Boxer_Chief
07-02-2017, 02:21 PM
I do not see what the SEC gained by adding MU. And how MU gained anything. Not like they were a football powerhouse at any time in history. Other sports-not so sure.

As far as the big 10. Rutgers was a waste of addition with the exception of getting into the NY market. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

And BIG 10 gets Notre Dame hockey. That is much needed.

SEC got the largest TV contract in history by adding A&M and Missouri, that's what they got. And Mizzou gained the advantage of leaving a sinking ship. I really don't see how either of those things weren't worth it to the SEC or Missouri.

ChiefsCountry
07-02-2017, 02:23 PM

SEC got a big population state for the SEC Network. SEC got an AAU university. Mizzou got big time cash flow. Mizzou got stability conference wise. Mizzou's other sports sans football and basketball have flourished in the SEC.

Spott
07-02-2017, 02:44 PM
I've never understood that point... we're talking about sports. I've been watching sports since I was like 5, I didn't choose the school I went to based on sports since I kind of suck at them. And when it comes to success in sports, I'm not seeing how attending the school makes someone better suited to talk about that success.

Someone who attended the school would obviously have a better perspective on the rivalries (which isn't what this thread is about), culture (which isn't what this thread is about), maybe some inside info (which isn't really what this thread is about).... someone who attended Missouri may or may not have a better perspective on moving to the SEC, there could obviously be more bias there though.

There's always been a huge gap between perception and reality when I read some Mizzou fans' opinion on how relevant their sports teams are on a conference and national level... same for a lot of Chiefs fans and probably a lot of KU fans (even though the latter has actually won stuff). My point of saying that is there are much more objective opinions beyond Columbia and Lawrence.

Or maybe I took that in a totally different direction than you meant, in which case.... I hate politics, too!

I guess for me it's one thing being a fan, but the large majority of the people that pound their chests and talk the most crap about college sports either never attended the university or never went to college at all. It's not specifically a MU/KU thing, as I live in Florida and college football is followed more intensely than any other sport, including the NFL. I'm probably just tired of all the hillbillies in the south claiming to part of "Gatornation" or whatever when they've never set foot on a college campus.

HolyHandgernade
07-02-2017, 02:56 PM
I guess for me it's one thing being a fan, but the large majority of the people that pound their chests and talk the most crap about college sports either never attended the university or never went to college at all. It's not specifically a MU/KU thing, as I live in Florida and college football is followed more intensely than any other sport, including the NFL. I'm probably just tired of all the hillbillies in the south claiming to part of "Gatornation" or whatever when they've never set foot on a college campus.

I get your gripe, but alumni and students aren't going to fill those stadiums and drive those TV contracts. State institutions are funded by the tax payers which is why you only see a handful of large private college fan bases. Notre Dame and USC are the ones that come to mind as far as football. Miami was there for a while. That's really it. Anyone else usually makes their bones in basketball with a conference affiliation.

That's where all the "state pride" through a university is driven through. That why they are "_______ Nation", not alumnus. People project affiliation through larger entities to build a sense of commonality beyond family/tribe. Religion does the same thing. In group/out group dynamics that has unfortunately infected politics and led to hyper partisanship.

Bearcat
07-02-2017, 03:11 PM

T-shirt fans can be annoying... I've talked to people about "their team" just to realize within a minute or two that I know more about their team than they do... but, I've also met some pretty die hard fans who haven't ever been to a game for whatever reason.

As far as not going to college at all, well, some (or maybe most) of the players they root for wouldn't be in college if it wasn't for sports, either. :shrug:

Demonpenz
07-02-2017, 03:20 PM
Mizzou not at the big twelve tourney lol

Simply Red
07-02-2017, 03:22 PM
nothing mixed-bag here - they basically hate you all.

Simply Red
07-02-2017, 03:23 PM
I'll be honest as a non NCAA fan living in UGA territory - you all need to figure out just HOW to recruit!

Simply Red
07-02-2017, 03:24 PM
it's hard when your main attractions are the Plaza Lights and Lake Jacomo

NWTF
07-02-2017, 03:52 PM

and to make matters worse Columbia isnt close to either of them :eek:

Better recruiting would help for sure, but fortunately the SEC east is overrated and actually not very good. If Mizzou can somehow get themselves back to mediocrity they will find themselves back in the thick of things in the East and may get the opportunity to get pounded by the west champ some more.

Jiu Jitsu Jon
07-02-2017, 03:55 PM
Read somewhere that Mizzou has mutliple empty dorms. So many that the school is going to rent suites to people going to football games and such.

Enrollment is down? I wonder why...:hmmm:

BryanBusby
07-02-2017, 04:04 PM
Enrollment is down at a lot of universities and they are facing the same issues.

It's just more severe because MU went full on yakkity sax. That goes beyond safe spaces, though and would have to discuss things that might be more in line for DC.

KChiefs1
07-02-2017, 04:36 PM
Mizzou is a better fit in the Big 10 compared to the SEC but I'll take the cash either way.

Best22
07-02-2017, 04:40 PM

Attractions don't mean anything. Why does Ohio State get better recruits than Boston College and Arizona State?

Georgia is in prime position with a rabid fan base and they still haven't played for a title in nearly 40 years. Largely irrelevant in football (just like Mizzou) ever since the mid-80s.

notorious
07-02-2017, 05:01 PM
Mizzou is a better fit in the Big 10 compared to the SEC but I'll take the cash either way.

You make income from Mizzou being in the SEC?

beach tribe
07-02-2017, 05:07 PM
I'm SEC all the way..I like em both in there.

Pasta Little Brioni
07-02-2017, 05:29 PM
...and the Big Whatever is still a shitshow!

HolyHandgernade
07-02-2017, 08:20 PM
...and the Big Whatever is still a shitshow!

Maybe, but its a shitshow that still pays a nice coin and plays historic rivals.

duncan_idaho
07-03-2017, 06:31 AM
Five years in, my take is:

Missouri had to make the move for long-term stability and financial health. The continued instability of the Big 12 just hammers that home. They don't have to worry about playing musical chairs the next time this happens, which seems inevitable.

I still would far prefer the Big 10 to the SEC because of culture and because I would rather not have to regularly associate with Tennessee/Alabama/Mississippi/Louisiana people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kstater
07-03-2017, 06:49 AM
What do you plan on spending your cut on?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

HemiEd
07-03-2017, 07:03 AM
They have double the east titles in 5 years then Kentucky Vanderbilt and SC combined.

How has it been going the last three? Shot their wad early?

I miss the days of Norm Stewart basketball vs. KU.

duncan_idaho
07-03-2017, 07:51 AM
How has it been going the last three? Shot their wad early?

I miss the days of Norm Stewart basketball vs. KU.

One of those three was an SEC East title. You mean the last two?

They've been rough rebuilding years, for sure.

TomBarndtsTwin
07-03-2017, 08:05 AM
I agree with Duncan's take: this move was always about long term conference stability and long term financial health. Now would the Big 10 have been a better fit culturally and academically? Yeah. But they weren't offering at the time, the SEC was. And BOTH of those conferences are much stronger and more stable than the mess that has been the Big 12.

Mizzou has excelled in many sports since changing conferences. The basketball program has been a dumpster fire, but that had nothing to do with moving conferences and everything to do with terrible coaching hires. This is not news. At least they are attempting to fix that now.

The football program has had a couple down years recently, but part of that is due to being in a much stronger football conference. It's not like anyone thought (including Mizzou fans) Mizzou was going to come in and dominate the SEC. I mean, hell, they never did that in the Big 12. They were a good solid football program, but never elite. But to be honest, in spite of recent couple down years, if you told Mizzou fan they would come into the SEC and win their division twice and play in the SEC Championship twice in their first 5 years, I think most fans would have taken that. I know I would have.

As far as what other SEC fans/schools think of Mizzou, don't really give a shit. We're here so they're stuck with us. I think they're mostly pissed because Mizzou doesn't fit in well culturally with a lot of the other schools, the whole BLM fiasco/protest etc, and the fact that we had some early unexpected football success at first before 'paying our dues' and putting some time in the conference . . . . .

Too bad, **** em.

KChiefs1
07-03-2017, 08:08 AM
You make income from Mizzou being in the SEC?

Definitely.

Georgians & Floridians are big spenders.

Spott
07-03-2017, 08:43 AM
I'm sure this move wouldn't have been view as bad had the basketball program not decided to hire the worst coach possible and Pinkel not retired suddenly because of health issues. It wasn't really a surprise that Mizzou won the east 2 years in a row based on the previous success they've had with Pinkel. IIRC, they went to 4 conference championship games In 7 years as well a tying for first with Nebraska before Pinkel left.

I agree with Duncan that it does suck to be associated with all of the ignorant hillbillies in the south. Culturally, Mizzou is a much better fit in the Big 10 or Big 12.

CoMoChief
07-03-2017, 09:17 AM
I still think the way mu handled the blm bullshit circus with football players protesting etc was the real reason pinkel stepped away..cancer played a role but that was ultimately a fallback plan.

Best22
07-03-2017, 09:19 AM
I'm sure this move wouldn't have been view as bad had the basketball program not decided to hire the worst coach possible and Pinkel not retired suddenly because of health issues. It wasn't really a surprise that Mizzou won the east 2 years in a row based on the previous success they've had with Pinkel. IIRC, they went to 4 conference championship games In 7 years as well a tying for first with Nebraska before Pinkel left.

I agree with Duncan that it does suck to be associated with all of the ignorant hillbillies in the south. Culturally, Mizzou is a much better fit in the Big 10 or Big 12.

Where were you in 2012? Nobody expected us to win 11+ games and the east in 2013-14. At the time, such predictions were met with laughter. Once we went 23-5 over 2 years, the narrative changed from "Mizzou can't hang in the big bad SEC" to "Welp, the east was down". It was a very satisfying 2 seasons, to say the least.

If we experience success again, it will be even more rewarding.

duncan_idaho
07-03-2017, 09:22 AM

I'll throw in that hiring R. Bowen Loftin and then as a result, Mack Rhoades, was even more of a disaster.

Loftin was a horribly ineffective chancellor and is a large part of why Kermit the coach was hired in the first place. He also was a disaster as an administrator.

I have friends with long-standing relationships with the ADs office, either as boosters or as TSF volunteers. They all called Rhoades "The Ghost" because he spent more time holed up in his office not talking to or speaking to anyone than doing his job. He was a disaster from an admin standpoint, too.

Thankfully, they've flushed the ineffective leadership at the top and have a competent chancellor, president, and AD again. Jim Sterk has put a clown suit on Rhoades with his early work (including fundraising).

Prison Bitch
07-03-2017, 09:42 AM
. Mizzou's other sports sans football and basketball have flourished in the SEC.

But other than that Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play?

Prison Bitch
07-03-2017, 09:48 AM
The continued instability of the Big 12 just hammers that home.

Huh?

Pablo
07-03-2017, 09:53 AM

Beautiful.

Bearcat
07-03-2017, 09:54 AM

ROFL

TomBarndtsTwin
07-03-2017, 10:03 AM
I thought KU fans didn't care about Mizzou anymore? :shrug:

Pasta Little Brioni
07-03-2017, 10:04 AM
Well we all look down on the Big Dogshit, so at least that much is a consensus.

duncan_idaho
07-03-2017, 10:28 AM
Huh?

There are still a lot of questions about the Big 12's future.

It does not have the strength and stability of the PAC, ACC, B1G or SEC. If expansion kicks off, those conferences would be looking to raid OU, UT, KU from the Big 12, and leave the rest of the misfits behind.

There are no high-quality expansion options. It's seemingly stuck as a 10-team league, which creates a perception of vulnerability.

Bearcat
07-03-2017, 10:30 AM

Caring and laughing at are two different things. :shrug:

Al Bundy
07-03-2017, 10:47 AM

They still do, don't let them fool you...

Pitt Gorilla
07-03-2017, 01:44 PM
I agree with Duncan's take: this move was always about long term conference stability and long term financial health. Now would the Big 10 have been a better fit culturally and academically? Yeah. But they weren't offering at the time, the SEC was. And BOTH of those conferences are much stronger and more stable than the mess that has been the Big 12.

Mizzou has excelled in many sports since changing conferences. The basketball program has been a dumpster fire, but that had nothing to do with moving conferences and everything to do with terrible coaching hires. This is not news. At least they are attempting to fix that now.

The football program has had a couple down years recently, but part of that is due to being in a much stronger football conference. It's not like anyone thought (including Mizzou fans) Mizzou was going to come in and dominate the SEC. I mean, hell, they never did that in the Big 12. They were a good solid football program, but never elite. But to be honest, in spite of recent couple down years, if you told Mizzou fan they would come into the SEC and win their division twice and play in the SEC Championship twice in their first 5 years, I think most fans would have taken that. I know I would have.

As far as what other SEC fans/schools think of Mizzou, don't really give a shit. We're here so they're stuck with us. I think they're mostly pissed because Mizzou doesn't fit in well culturally with a lot of the other schools, the whole BLM fiasco/protest etc, and the fact that we had some early unexpected football success at first before 'paying our dues' and putting some time in the conference . . . . .

Too bad, **** em.
All of this.

Also, while no games have been played, it's crazy to see how easy it is to turn around a sport like basketball. No idea how many games they'll win, but Vegas seems to like what they've done (http://www.vegasinsider.com/college-basketball/odds/futures/), and Mizzou is clearly trending in a better direction.

Pablo
07-03-2017, 03:26 PM
You guys still chant MIZ-SEC at wrestling matches and softball games right? I sure hope so.

Gotta keep the conference pride strong for your flagship sports.

Bob Dole
07-03-2017, 03:42 PM
The overwhelming indifference/despising of Mizzou is kind of weird. I mean, they’ve been to Atlanta twice! That’s pretty good. While Missouri, as a state, is far more midwest than south, Mizzou’s a perfectly fine SEC fit. I also went to Mizzou for the final year of the Big 12 and, thus, the transition to the SEC. It takes time to fit in to a new conference, especially one with the heritage of the SEC, but Mizzou will be fine.

I don't find it weird. I've stopped donating. Maybe they noticed the embarrassing CS1950 fueled train wreck?

duncan_idaho
07-03-2017, 03:57 PM
I don't find it weird. I've stopped donating. Maybe they noticed the embarrassing CS1950 fueled train wreck?

Every administrator associated with that is gone.

Tim Wolfe? Canned.

R. Bowen Loftin? Relegated to a quiet, high-paying post for the rest of his contract so they can get rid of him quietly.

Mack Rhoades? Left like a thief in the night for an even worse situation. Karma's a bitch, Mack.

Gary Pinkel was dealt a tough hand and is gone.

Pat Ivey, one of the leading strength coaches in the country, is gone because of his involvement.

There are a few players left, but those will cycle out, too. Most of the students involved have graduated or left.

So I ask you: At whom are you directly this anger you're still holding on to?

Stewie
07-03-2017, 04:18 PM
I don't think it matters that Mizzou moved to the SEC (to others in the SEC or anywhere else). Their issues run much deeper than that, sports being the least of their problems.

Eleazar
07-03-2017, 04:22 PM
As far as the SEC move goes, it was a good move and always will be one. Even if football has dipped the last couple of years, it looks like basketball is back and football will be too.

And now we'll always be in a better conference than we were before. There's no reason whatever to think it wasn't a good move.

If you have an upward, national, building toward a championship type mentality, it's the right place to be. If your main concern is trash talking on sports radio or preserving rivalries that - let's face it, fewer and fewer people care about over time now that the schools aren't connected anymore - then maybe you'd still be grumbling. I know which one I would rather be.

The SJW takeover was sad and made me sad for the school, but it could have happened anywhere and will happen many more places. The institution is more than that and it's time to let that lunacy go.

Al Bundy
07-03-2017, 04:32 PM
Old angry white guys still mad about that protest?

BWillie
07-03-2017, 05:16 PM
I just don't think Missouri and Texas A&M are racist enough for the SEC. I mean, racist, but not burning crosses in white hoods racist.

notorious
07-03-2017, 05:25 PM
I just don't think Missouri and Texas A&M are racist enough for the SEC. I mean, racist, but not burning crosses in white hoods racist.

They aren't trying hard enough.

Bob Dole
07-03-2017, 05:44 PM
Every administrator associated with that is gone.

Tim Wolfe? Canned.

R. Bowen Loftin? Relegated to a quiet, high-paying post for the rest of his contract so they can get rid of him quietly.

Mack Rhoades? Left like a thief in the night for an even worse situation. Karma's a bitch, Mack.

Gary Pinkel was dealt a tough hand and is gone.

Pat Ivey, one of the leading strength coaches in the country, is gone because of his involvement.

There are a few players left, but those will cycle out, too. Most of the students involved have graduated or left.

So I ask you: At whom are you directly this anger you're still holding on to?

I dunno, the fact that most were railroaded?

I've known Bowen for more than a decade.

duncan_idaho
07-03-2017, 06:31 PM
I dunno, the fact that most were railroaded?

I've known Bowen for more than a decade.

Oh.

If you're friends with him, we probably shouldn't talk about this at all.

Understand why you're upset. Figured you were in the majority who are mad about the way the admin handled things.

Frazod
07-03-2017, 06:39 PM

I have several friends I grew up with who now have kids at or close to college age. Even though they're all Missouri born and raised, none of their kids are going to MU. The parents don't want them there and frankly the kids didn't give a shit, either.

duncan_idaho
07-03-2017, 06:51 PM
I have several friends I grew up with who now have kids at or close to college age. Even though they're all Missouri born and raised, none of their kids are going to MU. The parents don't want them there and frankly the kids didn't give a shit, either.

Honestly, I'm glad they're not.

Being angry about what happened is understandable. I'm not happy with the way the protestors or "leaders" at the university handled things.

But if you're willing to punish the institution even after those responsible are gone, and withhold your support... all right. Probably not part of a productive path moving forward and beyond things.

Spott
07-03-2017, 06:56 PM

Being angry about what happened is understandable. I'm not happy with the way the protestors or "leaders" at the university handled things.

But if you're willing to punish the institution even after those responsible are gone, and withhold your support... all right. Probably not part of a productive path moving forward and beyond things.

It's not like it's one embarrassing event in school's history. It's a long series of embarrassments, like Quinn Snyder, the Paige Arena, Frank Haith, etc.

Frazod
07-03-2017, 06:59 PM

You shouldn't be. These are all good, smart kids. The kind who wouldn't go riot and protest and generally act like a bunch of fucking savages.

And it's nice that they cleaned house a bit, but if you're really trying to tell me that attitude is gone, I have trouble believing that.

Bob Dole
07-03-2017, 07:52 PM
Oh.

If you're friends with him, we probably shouldn't talk about this at all.

Understand why you're upset. Figured you were in the majority who are mad about the way the admin handled things.

I'm mad that they caved.

beach tribe
07-04-2017, 09:49 AM

So you think I had to have gone to UT to be part of VOLS nation?

I don't think I've ever met another person that would agree with you.

The stadium is packed with over 100,000 people every Saturday....
How many of those people do you think went to UT?

beach tribe
07-04-2017, 09:55 AM

Texas is where they dragged the black guy behind the truck, and meanwhile in Mizzou:
https://www.rt.com/usa/205735-kkk-lethal-force-ferguson-protests/

Mosbonian
07-04-2017, 10:22 AM
Asking the average SEC fan if they like having MU in the SEC is like asking a Gator fan to cheer for FSU or Georgia.....

Most intelligent SEC fans see MU for what it was by adding it....it gave the SEC an AAU university team to go along with Vanderbilt and added a footprint in the Midwest right at the door of what was presumed to be B1G territory.

Both the SEC and MU did alright with the addition and I doubt anyone really truly cares about what the average fan thinks about it, especially considering the $$'s generated.

The only real whining right now is from Auburn fans because they want out of the SEC-West and Alabama's shadow.

Bowser
07-04-2017, 11:08 AM
Old angry white guys still mad about that protest?

I'd say guys of all ages and races should be mad about that protest, seeing how much money the institution is losing still to this day because of it.

But like Duncan said, that atmosphere is cycling out. Hopefully they can rebound in the next coming few years.