PDA

View Full Version : Home and Auto Skateboards: toys or transportation?

Rain Man
07-10-2017, 08:30 PM
I must admit, I kind of chuckle when I see some guy in a beard kicking along the street on a skateboard. In my world, skateboards were a toy that you gave up when you turned 16 or so, along with your little green army men.

However, I walk a lot, and when I see one of these hipster adults kicking along on their skateboard, they're making pretty good time. As a means of transportation, they appear to be somewhere between walking and bicycling in terms of speed and/or efficiency.

So what's your take on it? Is a skateboard a viable means of transportation that should get the respect it deserves? Could a 50 year-old woman use one without shame? Or is it more of a young person's tool/toy that is more gimmick and image than a legitimate transportation option?

BlackHelicopters
07-10-2017, 08:31 PM
Orthopedic surgeon's dream.

Pablo
07-10-2017, 08:31 PM
You waited until you were 16 to give up your army men?

Rain Man
07-10-2017, 08:34 PM
You waited until you were 16 to give up your army men?

It takes a long time to fully understand and operationalize small-unit tactics.

Shag
07-10-2017, 08:41 PM
Legit transportation. Although, that may be influenced by spending a lot of time in beach towns where I see all sorts on skateboards. Been thinking about picking up a longboard myself.

Where would a OneWheel fit into this discussion? https://onewheel.com/

Pablo
07-10-2017, 08:47 PM
They're a good way to hurt yourself from my experience. I have a car that seems to get me places just fine and I'm fond of my legs and arms and stuff.

Pablo
07-10-2017, 08:49 PM
It takes a long time to fully understand and operationalize small-unit tactics.
I had a set of plastic cowboys and indians and a big barnyard set. I've always hated Dallas so the native people scalped the shit out of those cowboys every single time.

stumppy
07-10-2017, 08:51 PM
I loved playing with my green army men.

stumppy
07-10-2017, 08:53 PM
My green army men combined with an ongoing lack of parental supervision, a can of lighter fluid, firecrackers and my BB Gun provided me with many many days of entertainment.

AssEaterChief
07-10-2017, 08:55 PM
There is a ton of adult skaters in San Diego, especially here in Ocean Beach.

I know many people who ride and it seems legit enough to me.

On the other hand I've seen and heard many stories that would deter me from ever using one. They are just so risky... one nasty spill and we're talking about a good amount of road rash.

There are more and more stories of skateboarders getting killed by cars too.

EPodolak
07-10-2017, 08:59 PM
Skateboarding was sort of dangerous when I was a kid, now with constant texting it's certain death.

Over Yonder
07-10-2017, 09:00 PM
I didn't know that skateboards were still a "thing". I honestly can't think of when I seen my last one, maybe 1988? Just a guess. I live out in the sticks though, so its possible the trend is still happening in the real world:redface:

However, without an internal combustion engine, I'm gonna lean towards toy.

listopencil
07-10-2017, 09:36 PM
My green army men combined with an ongoing lack of parental supervision, a can of lighter fluid, firecrackers and my BB Gun provided me with many many days of entertainment.

Those old cans of hair spray worked really well as flamethrowers. My toys did not survive my childhood.

KS Smitty
07-10-2017, 09:46 PM
True Story: my brother used his skateboard as transportation back in 1964 when he was wooing my sister in law. She says she could hear him coming by the sound of the skateboard. When he graduated to his 58 Pontaic she could really hear him. 51 years later he doesn't skateboard much but they're still married.

stumppy
07-10-2017, 09:54 PM
Those old cans of hair spray worked really well as flamethrowers. My toys did not survive my childhood.

Oh yea ! There were times my back yard looked like the beaches of Normandy. :D:D

patteeu
07-10-2017, 10:15 PM
I was torn. I voted legitimate transportation, but all my natural instincts tell me it's a toy.

Why Not?
07-10-2017, 10:33 PM
There is a ton of adult skaters in San Diego, especially here in Ocean Beach.

Yep. My two fully grown adult brothers amongst them. I never got in to it, even as a kid. Love OB, though.

DaNewGuy
07-10-2017, 10:36 PM
I didn't know that skateboards were still a "thing". I honestly can't think of when I seen my last one, maybe 1988? Just a guess. I live out in the sticks though, so its possible the trend is still happening in the real world:redface:

However, without an internal combustion engine, I'm gonna lean towards toy.

You haven't seen a skateboard since 88? What the fuck?

KCUnited
07-11-2017, 05:24 AM
Legit transportation outside of Mayberry, but don't let the potential for some exercise get in the way of hopping in your car to drive that .75 miles to Hardees adulting.

Fish
07-11-2017, 07:41 AM
Somewhat useful transportation, as long as you're traveling downhill and don't need to do anything crazy like stop or turn abruptly.

luv
07-11-2017, 07:57 AM
I chose toy. I think that most people would classify roller skates/blades as toys, and they're much easier to get around on, IMO. Of course, I grew up competing, so that could just be me.

Molitoth
07-11-2017, 08:19 AM
I skated for a decade and my knees and back are haunting me.

Still, it can be used as legit transportation. When I was 15 I skated everywhere.... when I was 16... I drove places so that I could skate for fun.

Scorp
07-11-2017, 08:31 AM
Evolution
<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/FNu4iGebYC4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

vailpass
07-11-2017, 08:37 AM
Legit transpo if you are a college kid or unable to afford better.

dmahurin
07-11-2017, 10:40 AM
I work with a man in his 40s who lives, works, and plays within a 2 square mile area of downtown. A skateboard is his only means of transportation. It's all he needs and it gets him around faster than walking and he says he doesn't have to exercise because of it.

Spott
07-11-2017, 10:48 AM
Both. The traditional boards are mainly for tricks, but there are a bunch of different styles of the longer boards that are used for transportation. They are all over the place at the beach and on college campuses.

Holladay
07-11-2017, 01:08 PM
Do they come with snow tires?

alpha_omega
07-11-2017, 01:15 PM
my knowledge doesn't extend to this topic.

....but, them skateboardin' youngenz sure ar annoyin'

tx4chiefs
07-12-2017, 06:45 PM
I voted it was a toy, because you didn't have a choice for everyone on a skateboard should be punched in the head.

Randallflagg
07-12-2017, 06:49 PM
I must admit, I kind of chuckle when I see some guy in a beard kicking along the street on a skateboard. In my world, skateboards were a toy that you gave up when you turned 16 or so, along with your little green army men.

However, I walk a lot, and when I see one of these hipster adults kicking along on their skateboard, they're making pretty good time. As a means of transportation, they appear to be somewhere between walking and bicycling in terms of speed and/or efficiency.

So what's your take on it? Is a skateboard a viable means of transportation that should get the respect it deserves? Could a 50 year-old woman use one without shame? Or is it more of a young person's tool/toy that is more gimmick and image than a legitimate transportation option?

Geez...back in the 60s, we were making these things out of a board and a pair of roller skates. However, I'm with you when I see some "man-bun bearded guy" scooting down the street on one of these things...

I always wonder - can this guy NOT afford a car or a bike?