PDA

View Full Version : Birthday Apple Watch: Which do you have; and which would you buy?

Trivers
07-11-2017, 11:03 AM
Howdy,

Wifey's birthday is today and I'm having the typical husband brain freeze about what to buy.

She loves her Iphone and just lost her fitbit.

Apple Watch: Which do you have; and which would you buy?

Series 1 or Series 2?

Thanks!

Rain Man
07-11-2017, 11:14 AM
I have a Garmin. I like it except for when it occasionally hangs up after a system update and doesn't record my steps, at which point I become enraged. (It just happened a couple of days ago, so it's on my mind.)

If you're wondering, my current heart rate is 64 beats per minute.

The Franchise
07-11-2017, 11:17 AM
I have the Sport 42".

New World Order
07-11-2017, 11:19 AM
I have a Garmin. I like it except for when it occasionally hangs up after a system update and doesn't record my steps, at which point I become enraged. (It just happened a couple of days ago, so it's on my mind.)

Pretty good heart rate.

But Von Miller averages 64 stabs per minute.

DaFace
07-11-2017, 11:23 AM
I'm as tech geeky as they come, but I haven't figured out a use for a smart watch.

Eleazar
07-11-2017, 11:37 AM
I'm as tech geeky as they come, but I haven't figured out a use for a smart watch.

Same here. I'm usually an early adopter but these seem like solutions in search of problems.

Rain Man
07-11-2017, 11:39 AM
I have the Sport 42".

What's your heart rate right now? Mine is down to 59. I just ate a tasty cookie.

It spiked a couple of minutes ago when New World Order mentioned Von Miller, but it's back down now.

Buehler445
07-11-2017, 11:43 AM

Buddy of mine uses it as caller I'd a lot and reads the texts that come through. But he gets a disproportionate amount of calls and texts he can ignore.

The Bunk
07-11-2017, 11:58 AM

This happened to me just last week after finishing a 14er. Luckily I was by myself so no humans were harmed.

seaofred
07-11-2017, 12:35 PM
I've been eying the Samsung S3 Frontier, but I don't know anyone that has one to get some feedback.

Rain Man
07-11-2017, 12:54 PM
This happened to me just last week after finishing a 14er. Luckily I was by myself so no humans were harmed.

That would really be annoying.

I lost a new pr in weekly steps last week when this happened. It cost me about 8,000 steps and I ended up 7,000 below my record. But that was just walking around town. Still, it warrants an asterisk.

Armyofme
07-11-2017, 03:07 PM
I have the series 2 after owning the series 1.

I use it for quite a few things but the most entertaining is home automation. I can tell Siri to unlock doors, turn off lights etc. Of course you have to have already invested in those other products, but it's still pretty cool.

Quick, condensed messaging is also nice. Don't have to pull out the phone to see that I got a deal from Papa John's or some other unimportant message. Same with phone calls and email.

You can customize your watch face to have several quick access items like temp, alarms, schedule, fitness progress, etc. and Siri is getting better all the time, allowing me to do quite a few things with voice commands.

Health is the game changer though. It does what it does very well and it's getting better with every new OS, adding more features and polishing the old ones.

saphojunkie
07-11-2017, 04:57 PM

Until you get one. It's fantastic for messaging. Fantastic.

There is no point in buying anything but the series 2 Apple Watch (if buying Apple). Also, 42 is what will fit a man's wrist. Other is just too small, and series one isn't water proof. I don't take my watch off to shower, do dishes, or swim.

CapsLockKey
07-11-2017, 07:46 PM
I've been eying the Samsung S3 Frontier, but I don't know anyone that has one to get some feedback.I like mine. Every other store clerk seems to be amazed when I use my watch to pay. Plus it looks like a watch instead of a black brick strapped to your wrist.

CoMoChief
07-11-2017, 07:49 PM
I have my cell phone, bowel system, and the sun.

I don't need no stinkin' watch in order to tell what time it is.

Fairplay
07-11-2017, 08:08 PM
I have my cell phone, bowel system, and the sun.

I don't need no stinkin' watch in order to tell what time it is.

Heh, I don't have one but they intrigue me, I would need a salesmen to show me what it does and how to use and all.

I doubt if I would buy one though.

Dick Tracy was ahead of their times.

DaFace
07-11-2017, 09:46 PM
Until you get one. It's fantastic for messaging. Fantastic.

There is no point in buying anything but the series 2 Apple Watch (if buying Apple). Also, 42 is what will fit a man's wrist. Other is just too small, and series one isn't water proof. I don't take my watch off to shower, do dishes, or swim.
Bought one. Returned it two weeks later.