PDA

View Full Version : Food and Drink The Great Cracker Barrel Quest

Rain Man
07-27-2017, 01:16 PM
You may think you're cool, but you're not "visited every Cracker Barrel" cool.

http://www.9news.com/life/heartwarming/this-elderly-couple-has-visited-all-but-one-of-americas-cracker-barrels/459610444

This elderly couple has visited all but one of America's Cracker Barrels
Andie Judson, WCNC 7:49 AM. MDT July 26, 2017

The front porch rocking chairs, souvenir shop and country-style cooking are all reasons why Cracker Barrel is beloved throughout the United States.

But none might love the old country store more than Ray and Wilma Yoder.

The 80-year-old Indiana couple has visited 664 out of the 665 stores spanning across five million American miles.

"It's like being at home," Ray told the Lebanon Democrat. "It has a down-home spirit, and everybody is friendly."

The idea came to the couple 40 years ago when Ray worked for Coachman delivering recreational vehicles across the country, the Lebanon Democrat reported.

"It took the boredom out of being on the road," Ray said.

And with their Cracker Barrel quest came knowledge of the restaurant-meets-grocery store chain. The couple says they notice when a Cracker Barrel checkers board is turned the wrong way, or when items in one store are different than others.

Like any visit to a second home, the Yoder's never leave empty handed. They always follow two rules when visiting: tip and buy and item.

"We always buy something - a cup of coffee, candy or something. We don't just pull into the parking lot and leave," Ray told the Lebanon Democrat.

As for their final Cracker Barrel destination, the Yoders plan on crossing the Tualatin, Oregon restaurant off their list later this year.

Rasputin
07-27-2017, 01:28 PM
Ha they don't always eat something they go for coffee and a souvenir. Kudos for their adventures but not as impressive as if they ate at each one.

TimeForWasp
07-27-2017, 01:30 PM
Who puts crackers in a barrel??

Hydrae
07-27-2017, 01:38 PM
I have eaten at Cracker Barrel a number of times and may have even eaten at the one in Tualatin. Decent fish and chips on Friday nights that my wife and I get at least a couple times a year.

Chicken and dumplings is pretty good too.

Rain Man
07-27-2017, 01:52 PM
Hmm, traveling to every Cracker Barrel doesn't get them a lot of western scenery.

http://image.mapmuse.com/images/maps/map-of-cracker-barrel-locations.png

ptlyon
07-27-2017, 02:16 PM
Damn. That's a lot of chicken fried steak

Hydrae
07-27-2017, 02:34 PM
Hmm, traveling to every Cracker Barrel doesn't get them a lot of western scenery.

http://image.mapmuse.com/images/maps/map-of-cracker-barrel-locations.png

Wait a second, that does not show any at all in Oregon. They may be too late, that location may be gone already.

ClevelandBronco
07-27-2017, 02:37 PM
Wait a second, that does not show any at all in Oregon. They may be too late, that location may be gone already.

https://locations.crackerbarrel.com/or/tualatin/737/

Hydrae
07-27-2017, 02:40 PM

Yeah, I went to their site and did a search for locations close to Portland and that came up. The map that Rainman attached does not show any in Oregon at all. :hmmm:

Rain Man
07-27-2017, 02:46 PM
Yeah, I went to their site and did a search for locations close to Portland and that came up. The map that Rainman attached does not show any in Oregon at all. :hmmm:

I just grabbed an image that I think was on someone's blog, so it may have been old.

We should come up with some fake press releases about the opening of a new Cracker Barrel in Aurangabad, India. Let's see how bad they want it.

threebag
Cracker Barrel is pretty good eats. Most of the time I order breakfast

ClevelandBronco

Kind of cool that we live in a world where we didn't have to drive there to find out.

ClevelandBronco
07-27-2017, 02:47 PM
I just grabbed an image that I think was on someone's blog, so it may have been old.

We should come up with some fake press releases about the opening of a new Cracker Barrel in Aurangabad, India. Let's see how bad they want it.

Maybe it was a map of all the Cracker Barrels they HAVE visited.

Hydrae
07-27-2017, 02:49 PM
Kind of cool that we live in a world where we didn't have to drive there to find out.

For sure.

I always heard that "May you live in interesting times" was a curse but we sure do live in interesting times right now.

listopencil
07-27-2017, 02:56 PM
I have only been to one, and I'm not sure it was a Cracker Barrel but I think it was. In Nashville on our way to the Grand Ole Opry and I had a fried baloney sandwich. This was in the late 70's.

BWillie
07-27-2017, 02:56 PM
Terrible food. My girlfriend loves it.

listopencil
07-27-2017, 02:59 PM

<address> Tualatin: 7415 SW Nyberg St. Tualatin, OR 97062 (503) 885-0993
</address>

Rain Man
07-27-2017, 03:11 PM
Maybe it was a map of all the Cracker Barrels they HAVE visited.

:hmmm:

Or maybe it was someone else with the same quest, who's also missing the Oregon store.

Personally, I'm pursuing a quest to visit every barbecue restaurant in America, except of course the ones with mustard-based sauce, because those aren't really barbecue.

Stewie
07-27-2017, 03:26 PM
There are people that have eaten at every "Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives" from Guy Fieri's show. That's far crazier than a Cracker Barrel tour.

KCUnited
07-27-2017, 03:32 PM
There are people that have eaten at every "Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives" from Guy Fieri's show. That's far crazier than a Cracker Barrel tour.

That show got so saturated I think he did an episode at a Cracker Barrel somewhere in Oklahoma.

Stewie
07-27-2017, 03:33 PM
That show got so saturated I think he did an episode at a Cracker Barrel somewhere in Oklahoma.

Never did that, never will. There are thousands of locations to work from. Did you hear about the McDonald's show?

Baby Lee
07-27-2017, 03:37 PM

Here they are, on the prowl for the next Dive

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/efyrzAewjz8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

KCUnited
07-27-2017, 03:51 PM
Never did that, never will. There are thousands of locations to work from. Did you hear about the McDonald's show?

I didn't. I was admittedly entertained by the show early on, but I could only watch him burn his mouth on the same foods for so long.

Hog's Gone Fishin
07-27-2017, 04:19 PM

</address>

OK PLANETEERS, Lets make that call. We need 4000 people to call in and order a chicken fried steak to go, for Ray and Wilma Yoder.

Baby Lee
07-27-2017, 04:23 PM
OK PLANETEERS, Lets make that call. We need 4000 people to call in and order a chicken fried steak to go, for Ray and Wilma Yoder.

Thursday is Turkey Dinner day

ping2000
07-27-2017, 05:44 PM

</address>Fake Cracker Barrel news?

Sorce
07-27-2017, 05:45 PM
Cracker Barrel is a racist name...

Rasputin
07-27-2017, 05:47 PM

I'm outraged :cuss:

TLO
07-27-2017, 07:51 PM

Let's burn that shit down!!!:cuss::cuss::cuss:

Kyle DeLexus
07-27-2017, 09:23 PM

Just call it Cracka Barrel and you are good.

Demonpenz
07-27-2017, 09:33 PM
cracker barrel has good air conditioning

BucEyedPea
07-27-2017, 09:37 PM
Best Maine blueberry pancakes anywhere!

Their haddock isn't bad either. Pretty tasty if you ask me.

I love browsing through their gift shop. Don't know if I'd call it a souvenir shop. I've bought some cool Christmas tree decorations there.

There was always one just next to the Tally hotel I'd stay in when visiting my daughter at FSU.

alpha_omega
07-27-2017, 09:39 PM
Someone in the Cracker Barrel marketing department is sleeping. There should be a whole campaign based around these folks.

Bugeater
07-27-2017, 09:40 PM
Terrible food. My girlfriend loves it.
They have some good breakfast grub. Other than that, they're pretty underwhelming.

Why Not?
07-27-2017, 09:49 PM
Decent road trip food. Weirdly, I always get their trout plate.

wazu
07-27-2017, 09:56 PM
You know who else used to love Cracker Barrel? Brad's wife.

mr. tegu
07-27-2017, 10:15 PM
Love the biscuits. They seem to just have solid good food all around. It's hard to have that "home cooked" taste but it seems to come close.

POND_OF_RED
07-27-2017, 10:35 PM

That's crazy. I travel often for work and use the TV Food Maps app to find places to eat. Really wish the app had a way to track which ones you have been to. I'd make that my goal. I've tried over 20 different places from that show and haven't had a bad meal once.

Psyko Tek
07-27-2017, 11:22 PM
For sure.

I always heard that "May you live in interesting times" was a curse but we sure do live in interesting times right now.

not sure interesting is the right word...

Hydrae
07-28-2017, 09:22 AM
That's crazy. I travel often for work and use the TV Food Maps app to find places to eat. Really wish the app had a way to track which ones you have been to. I'd make that my goal. I've tried over 20 different places from that show and haven't had a bad meal once.

One that was on DDD that was a favorite of mine when I lived there is Mike and Rhonda's in Flagstaff. Awesome food for a good price. Be ready to stand in line for breakfast though, very popular. Well worth the wait though IMO.

raybec 4
07-28-2017, 09:55 AM
Best Maine blueberry pancakes anywhere!

Their haddock isn't bad either. Pretty tasty if you ask me.

I love browsing through their gift shop. Don't know if I'd call it a souvenir shop. I've bought some cool Christmas tree decorations there.

There was always one just next to the Tally hotel I'd stay in when visiting my daughter at FSU.

You stayed at the Tally HOtel? I didn't know you had it in ya BEP! Good for you!