PDA

View Full Version : Life Water fasting + keto diet thread...

Rausch
07-28-2017, 10:03 AM
I did a water fast for 10 days and lost 18 lbs.

(Note: I consulted my doctor and took vitamin/minearal and fiber supplements the whole time. )

I quit my fast last saturday and have been abiding the keto diet since then.

I had a full blood panel done before the fast/diet and will do another next week.

I wanted to do a 14 day fast but my body had absolutely no energy and quit by day 10 and a 1/2. After that started the slow transition back to eating.

As of today I've gained 2 lbs back which is not worth mentioning. Daily weight varies as much as 4 lbs and it's possible any added exercise will add muscle weight as well.

Just curious if anyone else has fasted and/or used this in conjunction with the keto diet...

Dante84
07-28-2017, 10:06 AM
So, no protein or healthy fats for 10 days? Yikes.

Rausch
07-28-2017, 10:08 AM
So, no protein or healthy fats for 10 days? Yikes.

Water, 0 sugar/0 calorie drinks, fiber pills and supplements/vitamins.

Bufkin
07-28-2017, 10:10 AM
I can't fathom a 10 day fast. Why did you do it? I understand wanting to lose weight, but that's excruciating.

I don't know how much it differs from keto, but I lost 40 pounds on Adkins. Meat (specifically grilled chicken), veggies (specifically broccoli and green beans), cheese, sunflower seeds, eggs, broths, and skim milk made up the majority of my diet for 6 months.

Rausch
07-28-2017, 10:19 AM
I can't fathom a 10 day fast. Why did you do it? I understand wanting to lose weight, but that's excruciating.

I wrestled for most of my youth so dieting isn't new to me.

I was 5'7" and 238.

After the fast I was 220. (Keep in mind most of this is just water weight.)

The main idea was to speed up the keto process and lose weight before ramping up exercise.

I don't know how much it differs from keto, but I lost 40 pounds on Adkins. Meat (specifically grilled chicken), veggies (specifically broccoli and green beans), cheese, sunflower seeds, eggs, broths, and skim milk made up the majority of my diet for 6 months.

Keto is very similar to Adkins only you force-feed the fats and cut the protiens down to under 50% of calories.

'Hamas' Jenkins
07-28-2017, 10:21 AM
That is absolutely horrible for your body.

Rausch
07-28-2017, 10:26 AM

On a regular basis it is.

On occasion (once every 4-6 months it's actually good for the body) it's not bad.

The Franchise
07-28-2017, 10:27 AM
I'm doing intermittent fasting and low carb right now. Not keto....but keeping it under 50 carbs a day.

Rausch
07-28-2017, 10:34 AM
I'm doing intermittent fasting and low carb right now. Not keto....but keeping it under 50 carbs a day.

I'd argue if you're going to give all that up and go low carb the keto way has better results and you CAN add muscle mass doing it.

The Franchise
07-28-2017, 10:36 AM
I'd argue if you're going to give all that up and go low carb the keto way has better results and you CAN add muscle mass doing it.

I'll eventually get there (I've done it before). I'm just slowly lowering the carb intake so that I don't go from whatever carbs I want to less than 20 in a day. I'll do less than 50 for a couple of weeks and then lower it down to 20-30.

raybec 4
07-28-2017, 10:38 AM
I wrestled for most of my youth so dieting isn't new to me.

I was 5'7" and 238.

After the fast I was 220. (Keep in mind most of this is just water weight.)

The main idea was to speed up the keto process and lose weight before ramping up exercise.

Keto is very similar to Adkins only you force-feed the fats and cut the protiens down to under 50% of calories.
I wrestled from the time I was 8 until I was 20. I'm 45 now and I ain't gonna do that shit to my body anymore. That shit was brutal.

Fish
07-28-2017, 11:04 AM

This. Wondering why a doctor would recommend this.....

Bowser
07-28-2017, 11:07 AM
Good luck. I mean, fuck all that noise, but I hope it works for you.

In58men
07-28-2017, 11:14 AM
It's okay to fasten for 10 days. People should research.

Hog's Gone Fishin
07-28-2017, 11:15 AM
Fasting is supposed to be good for cancer prevention from what I've read.

'Hamas' Jenkins
07-28-2017, 11:18 AM
On a regular basis it is.

On occasion (once every 4-6 months it's actually good for the body) it's not bad.

No, it's not. Your body will use up its glycogen stores, and begun catabolizing muscle tissue to feed the brain.

You're also likely to give yourself an arrythmia because vitamins alone don't give you the sodium and potassium you need.

NewChief
07-28-2017, 11:20 AM
Tons and tons of research coming out now in benefits of fasting as well as ketogenic diets on cancer prevention. Dom DAgostino and Peter Attea both have a lot of information on it.

petegz28
07-28-2017, 11:22 AM
18 pounds in 10 days = unhealthy
no protein and no complex carbs = unhealthy

Here's an idea

1. Depending on your age, get your testosterone levels checked
2. eat complex carbs, lean proteins and healthy fats
3. exercise
4. keep calories under 2k a day

I have met several people in the last few months who have done or are doing keto and they all complained about the same thing, no energy.

Contrary to tabloid logic, your body needs carbs to burn fat. Complex carbs provide your body with energy. Among many other reason, energy is needed for your body to burn fat. Keto slows down your metabolism to unhealthy levels.

You may be losing weight but you aren't getting very far as far as your health goes.

petegz28
07-28-2017, 11:22 AM
No, it's not. Your body will use up its glycogen stores, and begun catabolizing muscle tissue to feed the brain.

You're also likely to give yourself an arrythmia because vitamins alone don't give you the sodium and potassium you need.

^

Danguardace
07-28-2017, 11:23 AM
I have created my own Hybrid eating plan.

I Fast 16-18 hours a day
I keep low carb 5-6 days a week
Eat Free (Cheat day) 1 day a week

With a solid work out routine and working to a caloric contingency this has worked well for me.

I've done Keto before it is good but I found it difficult being on the one in to house doing it.

The Franchise
07-28-2017, 11:25 AM
I have created my own Hybrid eating plan.

I Fast 16-18 hours a day
I keep low carb 5-6 days a week
Eat Free (Cheat day) 1 day a week

With a solid work out routine and working to a caloric contingency this has worked well for me.

I've done Keto before it is good but I found it difficult being on the one in to house doing it.

What's low carb for you? How many carbs a day are you staying under?

Do you have a calorie limit on your cheat day? Do you just stick under a certain amount and not care about your macros? And do you still fast for your cheat day?

Frosty
07-28-2017, 11:29 AM
I do alternate day fasting sometimes. Studies shows it's just as effective as regular dieting (and easier to stick with). The studies also show it has some side benefits like autophagy (cleaning damaged amino acid).

For really enlightening keto talk, check this out (https://www.facebook.com/groups/ketotarded/?hc_ref=ARQr8HVp7vebWRH6K290WusR_qdJ-mnNwltMkQIdy-1pzdU08QxpGhgFE4NRoWCov4w). (Facebook group)

petegz28
07-28-2017, 11:33 AM
The entire "low carb" argument is bullshit! You need carbs.....good carbs. Not sugar and bullshit carbs. If people actually did research to learn instead of to google to reinforce what they think is the answer then the entire low carb myth would never have taken hold.

Veggies
Brown rice
Whole wheat\grain, not "made with whole grain" breads
Whole wheat pasta
beans
chicken
fish
olive oil
lean read meats

Quit trying to bullshit your body into being what you think is healthy. Eat right, exercise and your body will take care of the rest.

I am going through this myself. I hit the gym and did the "low carb" gig for almost a year a I lost 6 pounds.

I lapsed, as most people do because that way of life is hard to keep up.

So I started back again and in 3 weeks I have lost 6 pounds and I eat the fuck out of carbs. I'm stuffing black beans and broccoli and a piece of while wheat bread down my face as I type this.

And as I have increased my intake of complex carbs, guess what? I have more energy and I work out harder. Go figure! And my body doesn't feel like I am forcing it to do something it doesn't want because guess what.. I'm not!

I no longer have cravings for sugary treats because my insulin level isn't spiking and crashing. I have a cheat day once a week, maybe 2 but don't overdo it.

And as I chew on this big, green hunk of broccoli ma I say, I fucking hate broccoli. It's just a small sacrifice in the larger picture.

petegz28
07-28-2017, 11:36 AM
And for anyone close to or over 40 with wight issues, go get your testosterone levels checked. You might be surprised at how low you really are.

Frosty
07-28-2017, 11:44 AM
If you are going to do keto, I would suggest going this route (https://ketogains.com/). Don't be one of those people eating a stick of butter on their plate of bacon and think you are going to get jacked. The poster child for the latter kind of keto is Jimmy Moore. This guy, who has put on a crapton of weight since starting "nutritional ketosis" in 2012:

https://freetheanimal.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/20431510_991090934364290_2177383029775049776_n-e1501181114941.jpg

Frosty
07-28-2017, 11:50 AM
And for anyone close to or over 40 with wight issues, go get your testosterone levels checked. You might be surprised at how low you really are.

I did a year of very low carb and lost a ton weight (200 lbs to 169). Out of the blue, I couldn't lose anymore and started regaining despite eating the same way I had when losing. I ended up regaining clear up to 225 lbs.

I was also constantly fatigued. I went to the doctor and found I had very low testosterone and very low thyroid. Well, it turns out very low carb diets are really bad for your thyroid (they mimic starvation, so your body compensates by dropping thyroid and jacking up cortisol). Despite being on thyroid meds and testosterone replacement, I am still having problems and every ****ing ounce is a huge battle. :cuss:

KCUnited
07-28-2017, 11:51 AM
We're talking about a vodka bender here, right?

O.city
07-28-2017, 11:53 AM
I at 36 ounces of ribeye last night and half a bottle of merlot

fan4ever
07-28-2017, 11:54 AM
I know many have their success stories but this is what I've done for the past few years and have a net loss of 50 pounds as of this morning. Mon - Fri I eat a low carb diet...very low...but don't starve myself. Lots of protein, greens, but no fruits/sugars. A lot of hidden sugars out there.

Starting Friday night, I allow myself alcohol, but try to keep that low carb (diet coke and rum my choice of drink). On Saturday and Sundays, no restrictions although I try not to go wild. I LOVE IPA's so I treat myself to those on those days/nights, along with bread and other carb "no-no's". No rule book or fad dieting...just a SUSTAINABLE LIFESTYLE where I can net a couple of pounds or so every week.

I'll usually lose 5 LBS during the week and gain back 3 on the weekends.
I plateau from time to time, but I've stuck with it because it's not overly burdensome or an unrealistic way to LIVE. Hope this helps somebody.

Bewbies
07-28-2017, 12:04 PM
Tons and tons of research coming out now in benefits of fasting as well as ketogenic diets on cancer prevention. Dom DAgostino and Peter Attea both have a lot of information on it.

I was going to recommend these guys, and Tim Ferriss' podcast with each of them.

I try to do a 5-7 day fast a few times a year. I'd like to do it quarterly but I like running too.

And when I come off that fast I feel fantastic.

Titty Meat
07-28-2017, 12:06 PM
Why not eat the food you like while eating at a deficit and exercise? You might lose weight doing this but you'll put all of it back on.

Bewbies
07-28-2017, 12:06 PM
My wife and I did the Whole 30 last month. Well, for me it was the Whole 16 cause I quit at a party with my friends.

That's a good way to go as well, gets all the fake shit out of your system. But it leaves you wanting in the food dept pretty badly.

O.city
07-28-2017, 12:18 PM
Why not eat the food you like while eating at a deficit and exercise? You might lose weight doing this but you'll put all of it back on.

Eat well, exercise, repeat

petegz28
07-28-2017, 12:22 PM
I did a year of very low carb and lost a ton weight (200 lbs to 169). Out of the blue, I couldn't lose anymore and started regaining despite eating the same way I had when losing. I ended up regaining clear up to 225 lbs.

I was also constantly fatigued. I went to the doctor and found I had very low testosterone and very low thyroid. Well, it turns out very low carb diets are really bad for your thyroid (they mimic starvation, so your body compensates by dropping thyroid and jacking up cortisol). Despite being on thyroid meds and testosterone replacement, I am still having problems and every ****ing ounce is a huge battle. :cuss:

I think your story is a shining example of why low carb diets are not what they are sold to be. Everything you said from what I have learned is 1000% true. Particularly the lack of energy. We get energy from carbs, not from protein.

I had to start TRT because I too had very low testosterone. And that is bad when you are trying to lose weight.

Now, my questions to you are:

1. What are you eating?
2. How often are you exercising?

Here is my routine and I find it very easy to stick with, I am getting great results and I feel like $5

Mornings M-F:
1. Wake up and mix some Orac-Greens powder and chug it. I hate veggies mostly so this is a suitable supplement.

2. Mix a up some Dymatize protein powder and drink that. Dymatize is the awesome

3. Eat 1 serving (1/2 cup) of oatmeal with a little truvia

Mid Morning:
Protein bar low in sugar or another Dyamatize protein powder mix

Lunch:
Always a salad, usually romain, with a few broccoli florets, shitaki mushrooms, few red grapes and few blue berries with a very low sugar and very small serving of dressing. Then I will have a turkey sandwicch (4oz of turkey) with 1 slice of swiss on whole wheat (not "made with" whole wheat)/ Remember, "made with" means it has bad carbs as well. Or I will have some tuna. You get the idea

Mid-Afternoon:
Protein bar, poweder or banana

When I get home:
Another Orac-Greens powder drink

Dinner:
small helping, about the size of my palm, of meat, with some brown rice. Or I will make some whole wheat pasta and have a link of turkey italian sausage with some sauce.

You get the idea here. Complex carbs at every meal.

If it is a lift night I might a 1.5 servings of rice or whatever complex carb I am eating or throw in a slice of good, whole wheat bread

Pre-lift workout:
Dymatize protein powder mix 30 min before

Post-lift workout:
Dyamaitze, a scoop of Karbolyn (awesome stuff) and a 1/2 teaspoon of creatine all mixed together

If I am doing just cardio then I skip the post workout drink except maybe I might have some protein powder

Couple things for you specifically:

1. Broccoli, mushrooms, grapes and dark berries among other things are great at boosting your testosterone naturally

2. Complex carbs are needed by your body to burn fat. The fat actually needs the carb. Complex carbs keep your insulin levels balanced, digest slowly which makes your metabolism work harder and provides you the lasting energy you need.

As Hama stated and most people are clueless about, your muscles burn carbs not fat, when you use them. If there are no carbs your body will catabolize the muscle defeating your entire goal. I take Karbolyn which is a new, 0 sugar, fast acting carb after I lift to replenish my glycogen stores in my muscles.

What I am noticing already, besides feeling a shit ton better, is my body is getting rid of the fat because it is realizing it doesn't need it. Your body stores fat for a reason and generally being lazy isn't the real reason. The real reason is what you're putting in your gut. The body will always adapt so if you are eating like shit and constantly spiking your blood sugar levels, etc, your body will compensate by storing fat, making you feel tired, etc.

When you are giving your body the proper fuels that it needs then it will adapt as well and start getting rid of the crap (fat) that it doesn't want nor no longer thinks it needs because it doesn't need it anymore.

I will say twice a day I take a men's multi, fish oil, glucosamine for joints, and magnesium because our soils today are shit and you aren't getting what you need. I take a zinc and potassium pill at lunch.

Zinc is also very important to your test levels as well.

So, in summary, to focus on your test levels along with your injections, think Zinc, veggies, saturated, yes I said saturated (within reason) and monounsaturated fats. Stay away from Polyunsaturated fats except fish. Also, lower the dairy, which kill sme because I live cheese. Stay away from soy products as well.

One thing you might consider is having your estrogen levels tested. People in TRT sometimes experience elevated estrogen levels and have to either take a prescription armotase inhibitor or get one (DIM) over the counter.

Hope this helps. Don't give up. I took test gels for 6 month and was in the same boat you sound like your'e in now. I finally switched to injections and did a lot of research and I feel ****ing fantastic. I am down 2 inches on my waist and I am wearing belts I haven't been able too in a long time.

One other thing...keep the exercise under 60 minutes. Long, extended workouts sound manly but they jack up your cortisol levels and that kills weight loss and test production.

Danguardace
07-28-2017, 01:10 PM
What's low carb for you? How many carbs a day are you staying under?

Do you have a calorie limit on your cheat day? Do you just stick under a certain amount and not care about your macros? And do you still fast for your cheat day?

My typical day:

Fast from 8pm

Morning work out (Cardio and weights)

Go to work

LUNCH Time Swim

First meal 2pm Salad with one of Chicken/Tuna/Hummus/Pepperoni etc + Protein shake which my main source of carbs 64g

GO Home

Last meal 6-7pm normally a meat with Broccoli or Mushrooms

Repeat.

I stick to 70-90 carbs obviously not going to attain ketosis but still a low number for my activity levels.

I do not count calories on Cheat days but try to stick to an eating window.

I do not track macros either

Titty Meat
07-28-2017, 01:32 PM
Eat well, exercise, repeat

Pretty vague

BucEyedPea
07-28-2017, 01:37 PM
I fast once a week—sometimes 2 days. I have 70 ozs water and 20 ozs whole milk yogurt—or 20 ozs whole milk/milk substitute like hemp or almond milk.

petegz28
07-28-2017, 02:14 PM
Pretty vague

Actually it's not vague at all. Eat well, i.e. eat right, and exercise. And don't stop.

petegz28
07-28-2017, 02:15 PM
Studies have shown a 24hr fast once a month or so is good to allow your liver to flush itself out. All the other shit is unhealthy and you are kicking the crap out of your body in all the wrong ways.

Titty Meat
07-28-2017, 02:19 PM
Actually it's not vague at all. Eat well, i.e. eat right, and exercise. And don't stop.

What does eating right entail?

phisherman
07-28-2017, 02:26 PM

Less Baconators.

Fansy the Famous Bard
07-28-2017, 02:38 PM
I've lost 40 lbs in the last 7 weeks. All I did was go through a divorce.

wutamess
07-28-2017, 02:39 PM
I know many have their success stories but this is what I've done for the past few years and have a net loss of 50 pounds as of this morning. Mon - Fri I eat a low carb diet...very low...but don't starve myself. Lots of protein, greens, but no fruits/sugars. A lot of hidden sugars out there.

Starting Friday night, I allow myself alcohol, but try to keep that low carb (diet coke and rum my choice of drink). On Saturday and Sundays, no restrictions although I try not to go wild. I LOVE IPA's so I treat myself to those on those days/nights, along with bread and other carb "no-no's". No rule book or fad dieting...just a SUSTAINABLE LIFESTYLE where I can net a couple of pounds or so every week.

I'll usually lose 5 LBS during the week and gain back 3 on the weekends.
I plateau from time to time, but I've stuck with it because it's not overly burdensome or an unrealistic way to LIVE. Hope this helps somebody.

This is where I'm at. The lifestyle change isn't THAT bad. I substitute lettuce for bread and stop my sugars. Plenty of avocados. Still eat as much watermelon I want. However, I don't have the urge for cheat days so in the last 3 months I've been on the low-carb/keto variant, I've had like 3-4 cheat days. Anywhere I go to eat out fast food I google restaurant keto.

example: Loc Cabos Keto... You mean to tell me I can have guacamole and the fajitas without the tortilla? Yes. I'll have THAT please!
Buffalo Wild Wings Keto... You mean to tell me, I can have a salad and as many Garlic Parmesan wings as I want? Yes! I'll have THAT please!

I think I've plateaued but the results are fine for me right now (15 lbs in the first month/down from 250) and I'm happy with where I'm at even if I have. Wore a pair of pants to work today that I haven't been able to wear in about 3 years.

Danguardace
07-28-2017, 03:05 PM
I fast once a week—sometimes 2 days. I have 70 ozs water and 20 ozs whole milk yogurt—or 20 ozs whole milk/milk substitute like hemp or almond milk.

A lot of conflicting advice out there about Milk. But it is low on GI index so doesn't raise blood sugar massively.

Tribal Warfare
07-28-2017, 03:12 PM
3 days, lost 17 pounds on a pure water fast

Pablo
07-28-2017, 03:14 PM
6 hours, down 59 pounds on a water fast.

lewdog
07-28-2017, 03:16 PM
There's really no reason for this. And I find it ironic that the ones doing these long fasts, usually aren't in great shape to begin with.

1-2 days fasts are fine and healthy.

If you're extending them out near 10 days, your body will begin using it's muscle for energy. This should NEVER be a goal for anyone......except if you're expecting a starring movie role as a prisoner out Auschwitz.

Your goal should be to lose fat. Not muscle, not simply scale weight.....but fat.

'Hamas' Jenkins
07-28-2017, 03:38 PM
Seriously, you would have been better off and lost the same amount of weight taking lasix for two days. You also would have immediately put on all the water weight you flushed once you restored the ion balance in your body, but at least you wouldn't have catabolized your muscle stores and depleted your brain in the process.

Titty Meat
07-28-2017, 03:50 PM
There's really no reason for this. And I find it ironic that the ones doing these long fasts, usually aren't in great shape to begin with.

If you're extending them out near 10 days, your body will begin using it's muscle for energy. This should NEVER be a goal for anyone......except if you're expecting a starring movie role as a prisoner out Auschwitz.

Your goal should be to lose fat. Not muscle, not simply scale weight.....but fat.

Listen to this man. I've taken alot of his advice and seen results.

Spott
07-28-2017, 04:06 PM

I did that too when I got divorced. I got down to below 140, which is less than what I weighed when I was a skinny little teenager. Screwed up my metabolism for a while but it eventually recovered.

eDave
07-28-2017, 04:12 PM

Is that how much a ball and chain weighs?

BigCatDaddy
07-28-2017, 04:20 PM
If Bill Clinton seen this he would say Obama care is no longer the craziest thing he has ever seen.

What in the hell?

Fansy the Famous Bard
07-28-2017, 04:30 PM
Is that how much a ball and chain weighs?

Divorce isnt over. By my estmation ill have lost 200 lbs when its all said and done.

TLO
07-28-2017, 04:36 PM
Good luck. I mean, **** all that noise, but I hope it works for you.

Yes

Hog's Gone Fishin
07-28-2017, 08:10 PM
Best diet I've found so far:

Fast for 24 hours
Exercise for 24 hours
Fast for 48 hours
Exercise for 48 hours
Fast for 72 hours
Exercise for 72 hours
Go fishing for 8 hours
Fast and exercise together for 3 weeks.

You'll lose tons.

Dumbasses!

ThaVirus
07-28-2017, 08:23 PM

Yeah, fasting just reeks of a lack of discipline.

-King-
07-28-2017, 08:45 PM
Wtf kind of doctor would approve of this plan?
Posted via Mobile Device

KS Smitty
07-28-2017, 09:18 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

http://i.imgur.com/W1y9gmR.jpg

wazu
07-28-2017, 09:23 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

There was some Scottish dude that did the same thing for over a year with doctor supervision and lost 293 pounds.

Tribal Warfare
07-28-2017, 09:33 PM
Yeah, fasting just reeks of a lack of discipline.

B.S, it's the opposite the purpose is knowing what hungry feels like because this is a "fuck it " moment after the 3rd day of fasting you eat healthy in a 2 -2 1/2 interval and when evening hits you lower caloric intake and no carbs . This won't work if you don't workout religiously.

185 to 168 initially and currently maintaining 173lbs

O.city
07-28-2017, 09:41 PM

Eggs and oatmeal for breakfast
Tuna with some hot sauce for lunch/ shredded chicken and brown rice with a touch of heat
Grilled chicken/ grilled salmon / pork chops beef whatever for dinner with a sweet potato.

Usually what I eat thru the week. I gained a lot of weight thru college and dental school. Got up in the 245 range. At like shit because of time and whatever.
Graduated bought a practice, had kids, stressed all the time etc

Started eating right and cycling. Down to 210. Got down to 200 but I started lifting a little more so I'm Getting some decent gains.

I don't kill myself if I have a bad day or two of eating, or boozing. But I think a lot of it is consistency and planning.

The wife and I have started doing some meal prep stuff where say, Sunday night I'll grill or bake like 4 pounds of chicken and eat it thru the week. We eat a lot of fruits and veggies but still eat shitty at times. It happens

Demonpenz
07-28-2017, 09:46 PM
Sad that Big Daddy isn't here he would fucking roast this topic and its jesters inside out. I can do no carbs and lose weight but it is miserable after awhile. If you got a fuck piece and you just need to stay in shape and feeling good just don't be stupid and put an effort into diet and working out. If you aren't getting laid and you hate yourself yes knock yourself out to get a six pack because you need to get laid to not be an asshole to people.

O.city
07-28-2017, 09:47 PM
Also, being a dipshit dentist I spend 9 hours per day 4 days a week hunched over in people's mouths .

I started having some back issues which sucked, so I made some adjustments that have really helped my health. Increased the magnification I use which helped the posture a lot, monthly therapy, massage, chiropractor etc.

Plus I started doing yoga 3 days per week over my lunch break. Seems to be helping

Demonpenz
07-28-2017, 09:55 PM
My dentist killed himself the other day just wrong a note saying his life was too lewdogish

ThaVirus
07-28-2017, 10:47 PM
B.S, it's the opposite the purpose is knowing what hungry feels like because this is a "**** it " moment after the 3rd day of fasting you eat healthy in a 2 -2 1/2 interval and when evening hits you lower caloric intake and no carbs . This won't work if you don't workout religiously.

185 to 168 initially and currently maintaining 173lbs

If you do intermittent fasting, sure, but that's not what the OP was doing.. Just seems to me you could lower your daily caloric intake.

I think most people struggle with limiting themselves so they try and starve themselves to atone. You can't fast forever. If you're looking to lose/maintain your weight, it'll take a lifestyle change- not a quick fix.

Fish
07-28-2017, 11:00 PM

Agreed.

Saying I lost X lbs. of whatever isn't really honest in the slightest. At this point, your body has already begun to break down muscle tissue for fuel.

Danguardace
07-29-2017, 12:00 AM
18 pounds in 10 days = unhealthy
no protein and no complex carbs = unhealthy

Here's an idea

1. Depending on your age, get your testosterone levels checked
2. eat complex carbs, lean proteins and healthy fats
3. exercise
4. keep calories under 2k a day

I have met several people in the last few months who have done or are doing keto and they all complained about the same thing, no energy.

Contrary to tabloid logic, your body needs carbs to burn fat. Complex carbs provide your body with energy. Among many other reason, energy is needed for your body to burn fat. Keto slows down your metabolism to unhealthy levels.

You may be losing weight but you aren't getting very far as far as your health goes.

Do you have any research to support this? If so please share.

Danguardace
07-29-2017, 12:06 AM
Posted via Mobile Device

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/8J9DfeOYBKs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This is a good listen.

eDave
07-29-2017, 12:27 AM
I fast every Thursday. Clears the colon. A clean colon is a happy colon.

-King-
07-29-2017, 01:19 AM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/8J9DfeOYBKs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This is a good listen.

There's a difference between not eating food for 10 days and intermittent fasting.
Posted via Mobile Device

Silock
07-29-2017, 01:48 AM
We get energy from carbs, not from protein.

We CAN get energy from protein. It's just that carbs are hugely preferred by the body to protein.

2. Complex carbs are needed by your body to burn fat. The fat actually needs the carb.

This isn't true, strictly speaking. Now, in a broad sense, most people do tend to function better with carb intake, but the body doesn't "need carbs" to burn fat from a mechanistic standpoint.

As Hama stated and most people are clueless about, your muscles burn carbs not fat, when you use them. If there are no carbs your body will catabolize the muscle defeating your entire goal.

This isn't strictly true, either. Muscle tissue can use fatty acids for energy. We evolved the ability to store energy as fat because we can metabolize that fat as energy in times when carbohydrates/glycogen isn't available. Now, your body WILL prioritize glycogen stores when you're performing high-intensity exercise, but mechanisms exist to use fatty acids for fuel when those stores begin to run low. I'm not saying that muscle catabolism due to exercise doesn't exist, because it does. But it's not as simple as "if you don't eat carbs, you will catabolize muscle." It takes a big deficit and sustained high intensity exercise to reach that point, as well as insufficient protein intake.

One other thing...keep the exercise under 60 minutes. Long, extended workouts sound manly but they jack up your cortisol levels and that kills weight loss and test production.

Again, this depends entirely on what you're doing and what nutrition you're taking in. Your general principle here is correct, in that killing yourself in the gym while also under-consuming food in attempt to achieve rapid fat loss will jack up your hormones. But, if you are eating properly, there's nothing that says exercise beyond 60 minutes is intrinsically harmful.

Danguardace
07-29-2017, 02:58 AM
There's a difference between not eating food for 10 days and intermittent fasting.
Posted via Mobile Device

Did you watch the video? They talk about doing fasts for that length of time also.

Titty Meat
07-29-2017, 03:14 AM
Sad that Big Daddy isn't here he would ****ing roast this topic and its jesters inside out. I can do no carbs and lose weight but it is miserable after awhile. If you got a **** piece and you just need to stay in shape and feeling good just don't be stupid and put an effort into diet and working out. If you aren't getting laid and you hate yourself yes knock yourself out to get a six pack because you need to get laid to not be an asshole to people.

Bigdaddy has a rare condition where he goes into cardiac arrest if he doesn't get pussy

Mosbonian
07-29-2017, 05:25 AM
Does anyone do any research on what this kind of lifestyle does to you long-term? I know all the fad diets I tried were just temporary and the results were great until you go back to a normal lifestyle of eating. And I don't care who you are bad eating habits and craving sneak into your life....

In my 60's now and was just diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes in March...(when they measured my Blood Sugar in early March it was 601). I weighed 256 lbs and was in the worst shape of my life. Beyond everything else my kidneys were not in good shape thanks to all that.

It's the beginning of August and with a complete change in complete lifestyle, not just eating, I am down 45 lbs over a sensible time frame. My blood sugar is down to normal levels (taking insulin once a day) and I feel overall better than I have in a long time. I sleep better....I feel more energized....and seems that my mind is much clearer and focused.

I lost the weight just doing intelligent eating....keeping my carb level at Dr-ordered amounts....eating only fish, chicken, and if I need a burger, making it a turkey burger (Jennie-O's are great)....I eat broccoli, cauliflower, green beans, celery, lettuce, spinach and with some occasional potatoes thrown in to ward off any cravings...for fruits I eat a half-banana, blueberries, pineapple, cantaloupe, and apples. All my bread is multi-grain and when I have toast in the AM I put flaxseed on it along with ground cinnamon...

I have dropped all sodas and milk....I drink 32 oz of decaffeinated tea sweetened with granular no-calorie sweetener along with 32 oz of water. On days when I need more hydration I add more water.....for my desserts I have sugar-free jello and Voortman sugar-free wafer cookies....if I need a chocolate fix I have a Russell Stover sugar-free pecan delight about once or twice a week.

My breakfasts are toast with flaxseed and cinnamon and a sliced hard-boiled egg during the week and on weekends I splurge and take the wife to Cracker Barrel for our annual Saturday morning breakfast and have eggs, turkey bacon, oatmeal and decafffeinated tea.

In my case it was change or die....I hope none of you ever get to that point. But the diets I have seen on here seem to make me ask the question I posed at first....what is all the long term damage to say kidneys, liver, etc when you fast or even intermittent fast.

Danguardace
07-29-2017, 09:01 AM
In my case it was change or die....I hope none of you ever get to that point. But the diets I have seen on here seem to make me ask the question I posed at first....what is all the long term damage to say kidneys, liver, etc when you fast or even intermittent fast.

I think it is worth pointing out that fasting (intermittent or otherwise) is not a Diet, it is a way of eating. Dr Fung often points to the fact that society has moved to a way of eating which is heavy and prolific in snacking which is a proximate cause of weight gain.

If you watch the video I put up before Dr Fung says he prescribes Fasting for Type 2 Diabetes and claims it reverses it.

I have also read his book the Obesity Code he demonises Refined Sugar and Grains as the main cause for Obesity and often Type 2 Diabetes.

scho63
07-29-2017, 10:48 AM
Best diet plan:

1. Find out your BMR
2. Know your daily and weekly calories intake limit
3. Count EVERY calorie you eat and food you like to shave off 10-15% to 25% MAX calories off your daily NUETRAL number so you will lose weight just by eating BETTER
4. Try eating smaller portions MORE often, 6 times a day
5. Exercise 3-4 days a week to create an even greater calorie deficit and boost your metabolism.

YOU WILL LOSE WEIGHT!!! No need for all these bullshit magic diets and protein shakes and fasting and goofy shit to separate you and your money.

This will be a LIFESTYLE change that you can maintain the rest of your life. There is NO NEED to deprive yourself of things like cake or pizza or beer or any other foods. You just need to understand that if you eat a pint of Haagen-Dazs at 1,200 calories or eat dinner at the calorie busting Cheesecake Factory, you have used up a huge amount of your daily calories.

I've lost 52 pounds since March 25th with nothing crazy but following this simple strategy.

Spott
07-29-2017, 10:58 AM
I've never counted calories, but I've found the that the easiest way to stay in shape is to stay away from sugar, don't eat out often, and exercise. Those fad diets are just short-term solutions.

Titty Meat
07-29-2017, 11:04 AM
I eat out way more than I should but I eat smart. Seen progress.

BucEyedPea
07-29-2017, 11:19 AM
A lot of conflicting advice out there about Milk. But it is low on GI index so doesn't raise blood sugar massively.

I buy organic. The hemp milk is really, really good for you. Loaded with omegas.

BucEyedPea
07-29-2017, 11:20 AM
An absolute abortion of a diet plan. You basically stopped your metabolism by the third day. If a doctor approved this he is an asshole.

I use accupressure beads in certain places behind my ears. It tricks your body into thinking you're eating at the same levels so you metab doesn't slow down; also curbs appetite. Simply amazing.

petegz28
07-29-2017, 01:28 PM

No, I made it up. It just sounded good. Try the Google...

"Fat burns in a carbohydrate flame."

petegz28
07-29-2017, 01:31 PM
We CAN get energy from protein. It's just that carbs are hugely preferred by the body to protein.

This isn't true, strictly speaking. Now, in a broad sense, most people do tend to function better with carb intake, but the body doesn't "need carbs" to burn fat from a mechanistic standpoint.

This isn't strictly true, either. Muscle tissue can use fatty acids for energy. We evolved the ability to store energy as fat because we can metabolize that fat as energy in times when carbohydrates/glycogen isn't available. Now, your body WILL prioritize glycogen stores when you're performing high-intensity exercise, but mechanisms exist to use fatty acids for fuel when those stores begin to run low. I'm not saying that muscle catabolism due to exercise doesn't exist, because it does. But it's not as simple as "if you don't eat carbs, you will catabolize muscle." It takes a big deficit and sustained high intensity exercise to reach that point, as well as insufficient protein intake.

Again, this depends entirely on what you're doing and what nutrition you're taking in. Your general principle here is correct, in that killing yourself in the gym while also under-consuming food in attempt to achieve rapid fat loss will jack up your hormones. But, if you are eating properly, there's nothing that says exercise beyond 60 minutes is intrinsically harmful.

I don't disagree with anything you said, strictly speaking. But for all intents and purposes I think you agreed with just about, if not everything I said.

petegz28
07-29-2017, 01:34 PM

http://fatlossfiesta.com/628/why-you-must-eat-carbs-to-get-slim/

Demonpenz
07-29-2017, 01:45 PM
I just cut off my left leg. Lost 45 pounds in 5 minutes.

petegz28
07-29-2017, 01:46 PM
I just cut off my left leg. Lost 45 pounds in 5 minutes.

Should have called me...I gots a power saw that would take that leg off in 5 seconds...we could go for a record of pounds lost per second if you wanna volunteer your other leg...

Demonpenz
07-29-2017, 01:49 PM
Silock and BigCatDaddy are good Hammas is just good all around. The thing is to see if something is sustainable. My work gave a giftcard for those who lost the most weight and I won 20 dollars every week and when the nurse asked me how I didn't I told them I didn't eat because I wanted the 20 dollar gift card. They told me that really wasn't the point but I think the point was made if you need to get to a certain weight point for as short time it isn't hard but it is damn hard to maintain a good weight long term.

Hoopsdoc
07-29-2017, 02:52 PM
I at 36 ounces of ribeye last night and half a bottle of merlot

Good man.

I eat like crap but get lots and lots of exercise. I walk an average of 5-7 miles a day at work, and I drink water and sweat the whole time.

My weight has always stayed steady. I guess it all evens out.

petegz28
07-29-2017, 03:52 PM
Good man.

I eat like crap but get lots and lots of exercise. I walk an average of 5-7 miles a day at work, and I drink water and sweat the whole time.

My weight has always stayed steady. I guess it all evens out.

There is an argument to made that it all comes down to calories in vs. calories out.

'Hamas' Jenkins
07-29-2017, 04:08 PM
Does anyone do any research on what this kind of lifestyle does to you long-term? I know all the fad diets I tried were just temporary and the results were great until you go back to a normal lifestyle of eating. And I don't care who you are bad eating habits and craving sneak into your life....

In my 60's now and was just diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes in March...(when they measured my Blood Sugar in early March it was 601). I weighed 256 lbs and was in the worst shape of my life. Beyond everything else my kidneys were not in good shape thanks to all that.

It's the beginning of August and with a complete change in complete lifestyle, not just eating, I am down 45 lbs over a sensible time frame. My blood sugar is down to normal levels (taking insulin once a day) and I feel overall better than I have in a long time. I sleep better....I feel more energized....and seems that my mind is much clearer and focused.

I lost the weight just doing intelligent eating....keeping my carb level at Dr-ordered amounts....eating only fish, chicken, and if I need a burger, making it a turkey burger (Jennie-O's are great)....I eat broccoli, cauliflower, green beans, celery, lettuce, spinach and with some occasional potatoes thrown in to ward off any cravings...for fruits I eat a half-banana, blueberries, pineapple, cantaloupe, and apples. All my bread is multi-grain and when I have toast in the AM I put flaxseed on it along with ground cinnamon...

I have dropped all sodas and milk....I drink 32 oz of decaffeinated tea sweetened with granular no-calorie sweetener along with 32 oz of water. On days when I need more hydration I add more water.....for my desserts I have sugar-free jello and Voortman sugar-free wafer cookies....if I need a chocolate fix I have a Russell Stover sugar-free pecan delight about once or twice a week.

My breakfasts are toast with flaxseed and cinnamon and a sliced hard-boiled egg during the week and on weekends I splurge and take the wife to Cracker Barrel for our annual Saturday morning breakfast and have eggs, turkey bacon, oatmeal and decafffeinated tea.

There is a difference between intermittent fasting and starvation, which is what Rausch's doctor signed off on. Also, the OP mentions a ketogenic diet.

Short term fasts aren't going to do anything. Long term fasts run the risk of cardiac problems and renal failure. Also, if you're taking insulin, your T2DM was relatively advanced, which was unfortunate. Most people that develop T2DM can start off w/ metformin, but it sounds like you were past that. What kind of insulin are you taking?

Spott
07-29-2017, 04:19 PM
There is an argument to made that it all comes down to calories in vs. calories out.

That's all that it is. Eat less, exercise more. Everyone wants some easy solution where they can get out of exercising and still manage to lose weight. It's that type of attitude and lack of desire to change lifestyle habits that causes people to become obese in the first place.

petegz28
07-29-2017, 04:59 PM
That's all that it is. Eat less, exercise more. Everyone wants some easy solution where they can get out of exercising and still manage to lose weight. It's that type of attitude and lack of desire to change lifestyle habits that causes people to become obese in the first place.

I would contend it's a little more than just that. Meaning depending on what you eat can determine how quickly and how much success you have when it comes to results.

For instance, I am pre-diabetic. I need to watch sugar. Now, sugar we know is what creates fat so, even when you remove the pre-diabetic scenario, if you are wanting to lose weight, the calories you consume should be low in sugar. I am medically obese by the numbers because of my weight v. height, etc. And yes, I got that way by slamming down double-cheeseburgers and not exercising regularly.

So, while I agree that calories in v. calories out is what it boils down too, I think it's also over-simplifying it to a degree.

teedubya
07-29-2017, 05:11 PM
Our ancestors used to do this ALL of the time. There is a ton of benefit in doing this occasionally to flush the shit from your colon and allow your body to repair itself.

Mosbonian
07-29-2017, 05:48 PM
Also, if you're taking insulin, your T2DM was relatively advanced, which was unfortunate. Most people that develop T2DM can start off w/ metformin, but it sounds like you were past that. What kind of insulin are you taking?

Can't take Metformin because of an allergy.....

The first time my Blood Sugar ever got that high was in March....the highest reading that I had ever had before that was one reading of 133 and that was not after a fasting blood test. Most all of my other readings before had been in the acceptable levels.

I am taking Lantus Solostar thru the injectable pen once a day.

'Hamas' Jenkins
07-29-2017, 05:58 PM
Can't take Metformin because of an allergy.....

The first time my Blood Sugar ever got that high was in March....the highest reading that I had ever had before that was one reading of 133 and that was not after a fasting blood test. Most all of my other readings before had been in the acceptable levels.

I am taking Lantus Solostar thru the injectable pen once a day.

Feel free to let me know your A1C via PM if you desire.

Good luck and good progress!

lewdog
07-29-2017, 06:02 PM

My fasting blood glucose is always fairly high, around 100. I workout a lot and rarely eat sugar.

So they test my A1C every time and it's always around 5, which is quite good.

Kind of interesting.

'Hamas' Jenkins
07-29-2017, 06:16 PM
My fasting blood glucose is always fairly high, around 100. I workout a lot and rarely eat sugar.

Kind of interesting.

Yup. As long as you're below 7, you're generally in good shape. Once glucose binds to hemoglobin, it doesn't like to let go, so A1c is a much better measurement of what your average blood glucose levels are.

Mosbonian
07-29-2017, 06:26 PM

my last A1C was 6...but my first reading in March was 14

'Hamas' Jenkins
07-29-2017, 06:35 PM
my last A1C was 6...but my first reading in March was 14

Well you're definitely doing well then. If you can't take metformin and if you ever tire of the injections, you could talk to your doctor about talking a drug in the sulfonylurea class (glimepiride, glipizide, several others). Glimepiride is nice because it lasts a little longer, but depending on what other comorbidities you have and other drugs you take, you may have certain interactions.

petegz28
07-29-2017, 06:52 PM

Kind of interesting.

5 is fine though the charts are starting to show between 5-6 is pre-diabetic. I don't know that I buy that. My A1C got to a high of 6.7 and 2 Doctors have both told me that 7.0 is diabetic while a some of the medical apps are starting to say 6.5 is diabetic.

I had one doctor put me on metformin at 5.7 then double it at 6.0. I hated that crap and just flat out didn't take it. I switched doctors and he said that was crazy to be taking that with those readings.

My lowest A1C is recent years was 5.7 and last was 5.9 and go figure, I had quit exercising and put some weight back on.

petegz28
07-29-2017, 06:53 PM
Yup. As long as you're below 7, you're generally in good shape. Once glucose binds to hemoglobin, it doesn't like to let go, so A1c is a much better measurement of what your average blood glucose levels are.

^

Silock
07-29-2017, 10:05 PM
I don't disagree with anything you said, strictly speaking. But for all intents and purposes I think you agreed with just about, if not everything I said.

Yeah, I was just bring precise :thumb:

Hog's Gone Fishin
07-30-2017, 08:06 AM
Great vid about fasting and exercise to burn fat.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/441jBOb29YE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

lewdog
07-30-2017, 08:34 AM
Great vid about fasting and exercise to burn fat.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/441jBOb29YE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I do intermittent fasting pretty much 9 months out of the year. Feeding window noon-8 pm with working out between 2-3 pm after one very small meal at noon. It's totally fine and easy once you get used to it. Helps me stay leaner and hasn't impacted my lifting strength.

I never fast for days on end though.

Hog's Gone Fishin
07-30-2017, 08:39 AM
I did a Beer fast yesterday

Bowser
07-30-2017, 08:48 AM
Came in here for ideas on how to lose weight, decided to have bariatric surgery.

Pasta Little Brioni
07-30-2017, 09:35 AM
Jumping jack fast

BigCatDaddy
07-30-2017, 10:33 AM
Came in here for ideas on how to lose weight, decided to have bariatric surgery.

I opted for a 10 day fasting meth cycling program while doing HIT. Worked for our ancestors.

Bowser
07-30-2017, 10:40 AM
I opted for a 10 day fasting meth cycling program while doing HIT. Worked for our ancestors.

LMAO

lewdog
07-30-2017, 10:42 AM

ROFL

Do it for the ancestors! The knew everything back then!!!

scho63
07-31-2017, 12:11 AM
Here you go you short cut weight loss specialists!

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_UXXtCpkeKiA/Sw1tPkoH6VI/AAAAAAAAMF8/uqafg5dDZmk/s1600/coffee-enema.jpg

Bearcat
08-01-2017, 02:38 PM
Tried keto for a few months last year and really liked it... counted calories and took about a 500 calorie deficit/day and stayed around 50 carbs/day, not counting fiber. No cravings and I worked out 5-6 days/week mostly to not lose any muscle, and didn't have any issues with energy level. As it seems like 95% of my body fat is in my gut, the goal was to lose ~10 pounds and I lost about 15, which is exactly what some online keto calculator told me.

I moved onto staying away from obviously unneeded carbs or stuff that's nothing more than filler to me... such as not eating Cliff bars for breakfast or pasta/rice (outside of the occasional restaurant visit).

Fasting and the whole "flushing toxins" just seems like total bullshit, but I've never cared enough to see if there's any real evidence that any of it works (and I've never seen any evidence presented by those who think it works).

notorious
08-30-2018, 07:23 AM
I am 6’3, and my weight stays between 210-215. I install and refinish wood floors, so I am in fairly good shape except for my proud gut. In fact, some very in shape people have tried to work for me, but can’t maintain.

Anyway, I have tried Keto to lose the gut. Zero energy, bad moods (I am a normally happy guy), a lot more sleep, and my usually raging libido has disappeared. Blood sugar has gone from mid/upper 90s to 105, but now it’s always above 120.

What the ****?

'Hamas' Jenkins
08-30-2018, 07:50 AM
I am 6’3, and my weight stays between 210-215. I install and refinish wood floors, so I am in fairly good shape except for my proud gut. In fact, some very in shape people have tried to work for me, but can’t maintain.

Anyway, I have tried Keto to lose the gut. Zero energy, bad moods (I am a normally happy guy), a lot more sleep, and my usually raging libido has disappeared. Blood sugar has gone from mid/upper 90s to 105, but now it’s always above 120.

What the ****?

It's a band-aid at best. Meta-analyses of low-carb diets show that the effect on A1C lowering is transient and disappears after one year compared to a higher carbohydrate diet, in part due to issues with adherence. Low and high carb diets of the same calorie level ended up with patients having the same BMI, waist circumference, and LDL levels.

Hog's Gone Fishin
08-30-2018, 08:06 AM
I use accupressure beads in certain places behind my ears. It tricks your body into thinking you're eating at the same levels so you metab doesn't slow down; also curbs appetite. Simply amazing.

I think you're using them wrong

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Cp9jIg7Dhqo" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Hog's Gone Fishin
08-30-2018, 08:07 AM
I really gotta remember to clear my browser history

Dunit35
08-30-2018, 08:25 AM
I pretty much stay around 50-100 carbs a day for the last year and a half. Some days we might eat out and I go way overboard. My weight has stayed around 175 for that time. I usually run 3-4 days a week 3-5 miles at a time.

I did go to France last week and ate carbs all day. I must have shit 2-3 times a day. My body was not use to all those carbs and I gained four pounds.

notorious
08-30-2018, 09:00 AM
It's a band-aid at best. Meta-analyses of low-carb diets show that the effect on A1C lowering is transient and disappears after one year compared to a higher carbohydrate diet, in part due to issues with adherence. Low and high carb diets of the same calorie level ended up with patients having the same BMI, waist circumference, and LDL levels.

Thanks Hamas, I have done high protein, count calories and fat diet without worrying about counting carbs in the past. It works great for me.

My better half decided to do low carb, and I decided to support her by doing it, too.

There is a vast energy requirement difference between 1 hour a day workout warriors and me.

I don’t see how anyone that isn’t a desk jockey survives Keto.

PmCakes
08-30-2018, 09:05 AM

LOL

PmCakes
08-30-2018, 09:07 AM

Can I get this in English?

notorious
08-30-2018, 09:09 AM
Can I get this in English?

Calories consumed, no matter what carb level, controls weight long term.

scho63
02-05-2023, 09:20 PM
I'm on my 15th day of a water only fast. I have also had some decaf coffee with low fat half and half plus some Bai water that has only 10 calories per bottle.

I'm down 34.6 pounds in 8-9 weeks. My goal is to end 2023 down 100-135 pounds total.

The last 2 1/2 years prior to me quitting Amazon in June were horrible for my health.

I can't believe all the aches and pains along with my acid reflux are gone. My energy level has increased from a 2 to 7.

My overall motivation is way up for everything.

Rasputin
02-06-2023, 02:52 AM
I did keto for a while. Had the best solid shits of my life and little to no wiping necessary.

markdis
02-06-2023, 04:30 AM
I did keto for a while. Had the best solid shits of my life and little to no wiping necessary.

Did you use those keto strips? Are those helpful?
Here is a great article about healthy snacks for fasting https://betterme.world/articles/intermittent-fasting-snacks/, but of course who are just on diet should be helpful as well. Many people put on extra weight just by snacking constantly unhealthy things and not realizing that they are doing something wrong.

ThaVirus
02-06-2023, 07:29 AM
Best diet plan:

1. Find out your BMR
2. Know your daily and weekly calories intake limit
3. Count EVERY calorie you eat and food you like to shave off 10-15% to 25% MAX calories off your daily NUETRAL number so you will lose weight just by eating BETTER
4. Try eating smaller portions MORE often, 6 times a day
5. Exercise 3-4 days a week to create an even greater calorie deficit and boost your metabolism.

YOU WILL LOSE WEIGHT!!! No need for all these bullshit magic diets and protein shakes and fasting and goofy shit to separate you and your money.

This will be a LIFESTYLE change that you can maintain the rest of your life. There is NO NEED to deprive yourself of things like cake or pizza or beer or any other foods. You just need to understand that if you eat a pint of Haagen-Dazs at 1,200 calories or eat dinner at the calorie busting Cheesecake Factory, you have used up a huge amount of your daily calories.

I've lost 52 pounds since March 25th with nothing crazy but following this simple strategy.

Here you go you short cut weight loss specialists!

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_UXXtCpkeKiA/Sw1tPkoH6VI/AAAAAAAAMF8/uqafg5dDZmk/s1600/coffee-enema.jpg

I'm on my 15th day of a water only fast. I have also had some decaf coffee with low fat half and half plus some Bai water that has only 10 calories per bottle.

I'm down 34.6 pounds in 8-9 weeks. My goal is to end 2023 down 100-135 pounds total.

The last 2 1/2 years prior to me quitting Amazon in June were horrible for my health.

I can't believe all the aches and pains along with my acid reflux are gone. My energy level has increased from a 2 to 7.

Congratulations, but what made you change your mind?

Mr_Tomahawk
02-06-2023, 08:31 AM

I tried the Keto thing a few years ago and made it a couple of months. Dropped weight like a mofo, but it was an unsustainable diet plan at the time with my 2 boys growing/eating like weeds.

However, this year I have gone oldschool and started to count calories using the free "FatSecret" app from the app store. Recording EVERYTHING and limiting myself to about 1,800 calories a day...I am averaging about 1,400 calories a day. In addition, I have gotten on the treadmill again but taking it slow rather than trying to PR every time I get on the damn thing.

I am not shredding the weight like you are, or as I did a few years ago. But I dropped 7lbs in the last month without starving myself and leading a comfortable lifestyle allowing myself to cheat every once and a while.

BUT...all that said, you comment about the acid reflux resonated with me as I was dealing with TERRIBLE reflux at night....and I have NEVER had reflux issues. But once I dropped a few lbs, it made a world of a difference!

Stick with it...as you noted, its amazing how many "issues" are attributed to obesity.

Good luck brother!

scho63
02-06-2023, 09:08 AM
Congratulations, but what made you change your mind?

Needed to jump start my weight loss to have enough energy to get moving again. Enough studies confirm the safety of it.

I'm going to break my fast in the next 24-48 hours and then stay on a low calorie diet of 1,250 - 1,500 calories to continue losing weight and add exercise to burn more as well.

You can't exercise when water fasting, too dangerous.

This morning I'm down 38.0 pounds :D

GloryDayz
02-06-2023, 10:47 AM
I tried the Keto thing a few years ago and made it a couple of months. Dropped weight like a mofo, but it was an unsustainable diet plan at the time with my 2 boys growing/eating like weeds.

However, this year I have gone oldschool and started to count calories using the free "FatSecret" app from the app store. Recording EVERYTHING and limiting myself to about 1,800 calories a day...I am averaging about 1,400 calories a day. In addition, I have gotten on the treadmill again but taking it slow rather than trying to PR every time I get on the damn thing.

I am not shredding the weight like you are, or as I did a few years ago. But I dropped 7lbs in the last month without starving myself and leading a comfortable lifestyle allowing myself to cheat every once and a while.

BUT...all that said, you comment about the acid reflux resonated with me as I was dealing with TERRIBLE reflux at night....and I have NEVER had reflux issues. But once I dropped a few lbs, it made a world of a difference!

Stick with it...as you noted, its amazing how many "issues" are attributed to obesity.

Good luck brother!

100%. Keto takes pretty-much a whole household effort to sustain, along with friends and social life. It's very deliberate and precise, and a lot of counting. And if you have friends who like to go to bars, unless they totally are OK with you drinking coffee, it's very tough.

That said, while it's short of Keto, a low carb life is pretty sustainable these days. You may not stay in ketosis, but it's still a very smart way to live.

The Franchise
02-06-2023, 11:22 AM
I did Keto back in like 2012 and was doing great. Had dropped like 40 lbs and then went in to get my appendix removed in an emergency surgery. Didn’t start back up again after that.

Now I’m just doing intermittent fasting and CICO. It’s a slower process but it allows me to not be so strict about everything.

wazu
02-06-2023, 11:26 AM
100%. Keto takes pretty-much a whole household effort to sustain, along with friends and social life. It's very deliberate and precise, and a lot of counting. And if you have friends who like to go to bars, unless they totally are OK with you drinking coffee, it's very tough.

That said, while it's short of Keto, a low carb life is pretty sustainable these days. You may not stay in ketosis, but it's still a very smart way to live.

Hard liquor has zero carbs as long as you don't mix it with stuff, or mix it with diet stuff. Light beers are fairly low carb. A couple of glasses of wine aren't that bad. The only tough thing is you can't drink much of it when your blood sugar is zero or you'll probably be more wasted than you want.

GloryDayz
02-06-2023, 11:37 AM
Hard liquor has zero carbs as long as you don't mix it with stuff, or mix it with diet stuff. Light beers are fairly low carb. A couple of glasses of wine aren't that bad. The only tough thing is you can't drink much of it when your blood sugar is zero or you'll probably be more wasted than you want.

Yes, that is why you do your best to stick to straight whiskey or bourbon.

Good article (https://www.trifectanutrition.com/blog/keto-alcohol-guide-the-best-and-worst-drinks-for-ketosis?hs_amp=true&gclid=Cj0KCQiA54KfBhCKARIsAJzSrdqZOniBcQPNeIIqTKKe-WDhHWj-Uwr5ITxBWS6cvrI5KJ-LbgkAONMaAl1cEALw_wcB&g_adgroupid=&g_adid=&g_campaign=performance_max&g_campaignid=19121613049&utm_term=&utm_campaign=19121613049&utm_source=google-ads&utm_medium=display&hsa_acc=9108929191&hsa_cam=19121613049&hsa_grp=&hsa_ad=&hsa_src=x&hsa_tgt=&hsa_kw=&hsa_mt=&hsa_net=adwords&hsa_ver=3&gclid=Cj0KCQiA54KfBhCKARIsAJzSrdqZOniBcQPNeIIqTKKe-WDhHWj-Uwr5ITxBWS6cvrI5KJ-LbgkAONMaAl1cEALw_wcB)..

I'm a G&T drinker, so I have to stick with the diet tonic.

https://www.bourbonbanter.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/carbs-in-bourbon.jpg

Rausch
02-06-2023, 11:53 AM
It's a band-aid at best. Meta-analyses of low-carb diets show that the effect on A1C lowering is transient and disappears after one year compared to a higher carbohydrate diet, in part due to issues with adherence.

That doesn't disprove the diet - it proves people have no self-discipline. Probably why we're all over weight to begin with.

We're seasonal creatures. We're not meant to binge on high carb/high fruit/high sugar diets year round. You look at where most humans evolved there are seasons, foods come in and out of season, and people actually vary their diets with the seasons. No fruit in winter - more protein and fats eaten in winter. Don't need a study to realize that variety in your diet is a good thing.

I also think we evolved eating high sugar and carb foods in late summer and fall as they naturally ripen or mature. We build fat that carries us through the winter when less food is available. You take that creature and feed it macaroni, fruit, and cereal year round and it's going to gain weight year round.

Rausch
02-06-2023, 11:56 AM
I did Keto back in like 2012 and was doing great. Had dropped like 40 lbs and then went in to get my appendix removed in an emergency surgery. Didn’t start back up again after that.

Now I’m just doing intermittent fasting and CICO. It’s a slower process but it allows me to not be so strict about everything.

I've done Intermittent fasting for about 2 or 3 years now. I've gone off keto here and there but never gained back more than 5 lbs and as much as 2 lbs a day fluctuation is normal. Hell, bowel movements can be a pound or more.

Keto should be a tool you use based on how you feel and how your body is changing. You need the vitamins and nutrients in high carb foods as well.

allen_kcCard
02-06-2023, 12:09 PM
I'm trying to get back into keto, but right now I've been pretty lax in it. Trying to use Factor meals on the keto list, which aren't bad, although a little pricey, but right now I've been coming off it on weekends, so I haven't sustained it at all so far, still down 5-10 or so though.

My birthday, and my son's birthday were in the span of starting it, thus the weekends things...and I nervous eat during chiefs games....so...I should be able to sustain better soon.

The Franchise
02-06-2023, 12:12 PM
I've done Intermittent fasting for about 2 or 3 years now. I've gone off keto here and there but never gained back more than 5 lbs and as much as 2 lbs a day fluctuation is normal. Hell, bowel movements can be a pound or more.

Keto should be a tool you use based on how you feel and how your body is changing. You need the vitamins and nutrients in high carb foods as well.

I'm not going back to the keto diet. It's just way too tough with a family that eats normal foods. IF works just fine with me and cutting my calories down to 1800-1900 a day allows me to have foods that normally I wouldn't as long as they're in moderation.

scho63
02-07-2023, 01:51 AM
I came off my fast today after 15 1/2 days with no food.

Had some issues about 45 minutes after eating. Had some bone broth with grilled strips of chicken breasts, English muffins, 4 pieces of Fontina cheese and about 7 small Glory tomatoes. My body got very unstable and I was very dizzy. Thought I would pass out 5-6 times over the next 3 hours. Took until 8-9 pm before I felt better.

Anyone who fasts 5 days or more needs to understand and learn about "refeeding syndrome." If too much food is eaten by a fasting or starving person as their first few meals, they can send their body into shock and even die.

I ate too much to start. Not good.

Bearcat
02-07-2023, 06:31 AM
Enough studies confirm the safety of it.

You can't exercise when water fasting, too dangerous.

If too much food is eaten by a fasting or starving person as their first few meals, they can send their body into shock and even die.

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/QMHoU66sBXqqLqYvGO" width="480" height="270" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="https://giphy.com/gifs/this-is-fine-QMHoU66sBXqqLqYvGO">via GIPHY</a></p>