PDA

View Full Version : Life RIP Little Charlie Gard

In58men
07-28-2017, 01:39 PM
Not sure if anyone has been following this story, but today the UK made the decision to take him off life support. The wife and I were very active in following and donating as much as we could. Sadly, his precious life came to an end today. RIP little guy.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170728/9785285b986a9a22cb1ae1de0fc212ee.png

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170728/c577c0cae4f3a642674483b39c447b21.png

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thesun.co.uk/news/3248426/charlie-gard-death-life-support-case-treatment-parents-great-ormond-street/amp/

bricks
07-28-2017, 01:43 PM
Very sorry to hear this news. I am saddened.

bricks
07-28-2017, 01:44 PM
My condolences.

vailpass
07-28-2017, 01:44 PM
I could have done just fine without ever hearing this story or seeing the pictures.

JakeLV
07-28-2017, 01:51 PM
Fucking bullshit man. There is an NYC doctor who thinks he has a 60% chance to respond to treatment.

KranzDictum
07-28-2017, 02:05 PM
It is a sad story but if you walk into any NICU in any Hospital that has one on any given day it will break your heart.

I wish him and his family peace.

In58men
07-28-2017, 02:06 PM
****ing bullshit man. There is an NYC doctor who thinks he has a 60% chance to respond to treatment.

They raised enough money to get him here too. Trump offered assistance as well, it is bullshit. Sad they didn't get to take him home. Terrible.

raybec 4
07-28-2017, 02:07 PM
Not to make it political but these are the pitfalls of socialized healthcare.

TigeRRUppeRRcut
07-28-2017, 02:10 PM
I could have done just fine without ever hearing this story or seeing the pictures.

Agreed. These types of illnesses can be found all over the place, the family just got a hold of the right people in the tabloids to make it well known

TigeRRUppeRRcut
07-28-2017, 02:12 PM
****ing bullshit man. There is an NYC doctor who thinks he has a 60% chance to respond to treatment.

Yea, that's very much exaggerated.

Eleazar
07-28-2017, 02:15 PM

Don't worry, we know what's best for you.

vailpass
07-28-2017, 02:17 PM
Agreed. These types of illnesses can be found all over the place, the family just got a hold of the right people in the tabloids to make it well known

Your professional experience has exposed you to that but the non - medical populace doesn't fault the parents or the tabloid.

vailpass
07-28-2017, 02:18 PM
Don't worry, we know what's best for you.

Spot on.

TigeRRUppeRRcut
07-28-2017, 02:28 PM
Remember how much time the media wasted their time talking about Elian Gonzalez?

SMH.

WhawhaWhat
07-28-2017, 02:45 PM
The wife and I were very active in following and donating as much as we could.

Do you get your money back now?

vailpass
07-28-2017, 02:46 PM

LMAO

JakeLV
07-28-2017, 03:30 PM
Yea, that's very much exaggerated.

I'm all ears

In58men
07-28-2017, 03:38 PM

Nope, I'd dontate for his funeral if needed as well.

LoneWolf
07-28-2017, 03:43 PM
Nope, I'd dontate for his funeral if needed as well.

Why? What is it about this sick and now dead child's story that tugs at your heart strings more than all the other stories of the thousands upon thousands of sick children all over the world?

JakeLV
07-28-2017, 03:50 PM
Why? What is it about this sick and now dead child's story that tugs at your heart strings more than all the other stories of the thousands upon thousands of sick children all over the world?

Kinda seems like the wrong question to be asking... It's not wrong to feel for that family. I don't think anybody actively seeks stories on sick kids (so how would one know/care about other children), but if one falls in your lap, and you are aware of it, it's hard to feel strongly about it.

suzzer99
07-28-2017, 04:32 PM

I agree there are some winners and losers. But there are plenty of pitfalls to not having universal healthcare as well. Every other first-world country except the US has implemented UHC. They've determined that the pitfalls of not having it outweigh the pitfalls of having it.

In58men
07-28-2017, 05:03 PM
Kinda seems like the wrong question to be asking... It's not wrong to feel for that family. I don't think anybody actively seeks stories on sick kids (so how would one know/care about other children), but if one falls in your lap, and you are aware of it, it's hard to feel strongly about it.

Exactly, my wife came across the story and shared it with me. I highly doubt that she goes out of her way to look for heartbreaking stories about sick children. I understand that there's other sick children out there, that's why we contribute to St. Jude's every month.

MMXcalibur
07-28-2017, 05:12 PM
If I have a primary weakness, it's seeing innocent babies and children being put in these awful, awful positions.

My condolences go out to that poor lil' guy and his family.

Kman34
07-28-2017, 05:28 PM
Exactly, my wife came across the story and shared it with me. I highly doubt that she goes out of her way to look for heartbreaking stories about sick children. I understand that there's other sick children out there, that's why we contribute to St. Jude's every month.

The wife and I contribute too.... Sadly there are way too many of these heartbreaking cases out there...

Oregon chief
07-28-2017, 06:08 PM
The child's condition and how things were handled is what is sad here. My wife is a pediatric intensive care md. Parents will of course grab on to any sliver of hope but the sad truth is, some conditions you just don't come back from.

lewdog
07-28-2017, 06:11 PM
The child's condition and how things were handled is what is sad here. My wife is a pediatric intensive care md. Parents will of course grab on to any sliver of hope but the sad truth is, some conditions you just don't come back from.

Sadly this is true.

And saving someone's or a baby's life, doesn't mean that they will have quality of life.

Sad story either way.

Tombstone RJ
07-28-2017, 10:34 PM
I agree there are some winners and losers. But there are plenty of pitfalls to not having universal healthcare as well. Every other first-world country except the US has implemented UHC. They've determined that the pitfalls of not having it outweigh the pitfalls of having it.

Why did Charlie's parents want to bring him to the USA for help, if socialized medicine is great? Why do Canadians continue coming to the USA for medical treatment?

Socialized medicine is a joke. We have the ability to allow our free market system to work for everyone, including foreigners, but the Feds are destroying our medical community in order to force our citizens to be a number in a line, instead of a human being.

cosmo20002
07-28-2017, 10:52 PM
Instead of blaming England's medical system for his death, since nothing was going to save this poor kid, the blame should be going to Jesus, who gave him a fatal disease and called him home to eternal happiness.

Tombstone RJ
07-28-2017, 10:56 PM
Instead of blaming England's medical system for his death, since nothing was going to save this poor kid, the blame should be going to Jesus, who gave him a fatal disease and called him home to eternal happiness.

He had a chance to live, but the state run hospitals in England forced Charlie's parents into prolonged litigation. This prolonged litigation, is what ultimately killed Charlie. Had the parents of Charlie been able to bring Charlie to the United States as soon as possible there was a 10% chance that he could indeed live for a long time. But of course the state did not want that, now did it?

cosmo20002
07-28-2017, 11:06 PM
He had a chance to live, but the state run hospitals in England forced Charlie's parents into prolonged litigation. This prolonged litigation, is what ultimately killed Charlie. Had the parents of Charlie been able to bring Charlie to the United States as soon as possible there was a 10% chance that he could indeed live for a long time. But of course the state did not want that, now did it?

Bullshit

cosmo20002
07-28-2017, 11:13 PM

"The judge noted that the American doctor (later identified as Michio Hirano after he waived his right to anonymity) proposing the nucleoside treatment said that it was "very unlikely that he will improve" with the proposed experimental therapy and said that the nucleoside therapy was unlikely to be able to reverse the brain damage that had occurred.[3] GOSH had invited Hirano to examine the child in January but he had not come to London to examine the child before he testified by telephone in April; Hirano also did not disclose at this time, but did at a later hearing, that he had financial interests in the treatment.[8]"

mdchiefsfan
07-29-2017, 12:19 AM
I think we know where this thread is headed.... Cosmo has appeared to take it to the depths

TEX
07-29-2017, 06:34 AM
Bullshit

No Bro - TRUE SHIT. You and those that think like you are just to ****ING STUPID to ADMIT IT. You know it and you still wont admit it - And that my friend is a special kind of stupid.

RunKC
07-29-2017, 07:32 AM
If there is anything this has taught us, it's this:

-donate money, even $5, to these organizations like St. Jude.
-don't ever vote for a candidate selling government healthcare

Spott
07-29-2017, 08:23 AM
Why did Charlie's parents want to bring him to the USA for help, if socialized medicine is great? Why do Canadians continue coming to the USA for medical treatment?

Socialized medicine is a joke. We have the ability to allow our free market system to work for everyone, including foreigners, but the Feds are destroying our medical community in order to force our citizens to be a number in a line, instead of a human being.

Take this shit to the DC where it belongs and take your ass to the mange where you and the rest of the Donkey scum belong.

stevieray
07-29-2017, 08:50 AM
the blame should be going to Jesus, who gave him a fatal disease
....incorrect, as usual.

Tombstone RJ
07-29-2017, 02:05 PM
"The judge noted that the American doctor (later identified as Michio Hirano after he waived his right to anonymity) proposing the nucleoside treatment said that it was "very unlikely that he will improve" with the proposed experimental therapy and said that the nucleoside therapy was unlikely to be able to reverse the brain damage that had occurred.[3] GOSH had invited Hirano to examine the child in January but he had not come to London to examine the child before he testified by telephone in April; Hirano also did not disclose at this time, but did at a later hearing, that he had financial interests in the treatment.[8]"

Thanks for proving my point. Had Gard been able to receive the treatment in January, even though the chances of it working was low, it was still better than doing nothing. Who cares if the doctor had a financial interest? If you never try something then you will never know if it will work. This is where the word "experimental" comes into play.

Demonpenz
07-29-2017, 02:29 PM
dddd