Red Dawg
07-31-2017, 08:49 AM
Wow. Surprised.

In58men
07-31-2017, 08:51 AM
Great football player

Rain Man
07-31-2017, 08:53 AM
Dang. He was our 24th-best 1st-round draft pick ever, in my opinion.

Rausch
07-31-2017, 09:06 AM
Dang. He was our 24th-best 1st-round draft pick ever, in my opinion.

I has a big sad.

He was constantly banged up.

On potential alone he was a B- Will Shields. Would have been an "A-" G (I still argue he should have been played there) but was a B- LT when healthy.

I'll admit - I pulled for him after he left...

Rausch
07-31-2017, 09:07 AM
Q,,,

Pasta Little Brioni
07-31-2017, 09:08 AM
Not a fuck is given. Dude has been done since he left KC.

Rausch
07-31-2017, 09:14 AM
Not a **** is given. Dude has been done since he left KC.

He's a good guy.

It's a shame he didn't have a better/longer career...

Hoover
07-31-2017, 09:34 AM
Man I can't believe we didn't give this guy 50 million so he could have been hurt for us!

Fisher > Albert - Chiefs made the right move there. Played it perfectly.

JakeF
07-31-2017, 09:58 AM
Man I can't believe we didn't give this guy 50 million so he could have been hurt for us!

Fisher > Albert - Chiefs made the right move there. Played it perfectly.
If they wanted to play it perfectly they never would have drafted Albert in the first place. He was never committed completely to the game and looked for any chance to take a game off.

RealSNR
07-31-2017, 10:05 AM
If they wanted to play it perfectly they never would have drafted Albert in the first place. He was never committed completely to the game and looked for any chance to take a game off.

That's just fucking idiotic.

Rausch
07-31-2017, 10:05 AM
Albert was a B- LT and would have been an A- G if played there.

And he was a good guy.

Eleazar
07-31-2017, 10:08 AM
It was always funny to watch CP try to put this guy in the HOF.

Mosbonian
07-31-2017, 10:11 AM
Going to love listening to the local sports talk shows down here in Jacksonville this afternoon on the drive home.

Rausch
07-31-2017, 10:20 AM
It was always funny to watch CP try to put this guy in the HOF.

A solid player that didn't live up to potential isn't exactly ball washing...

Buehler445
07-31-2017, 10:21 AM
Yeah. I'll eat crow on this one. I wanted us to re-sign him and not draft Fisher.

My bad.

JakeF
07-31-2017, 10:26 AM
That's just fucking idiotic.
No, it's not. We drafted him to play OT when he should have played guard. Each time Albert got hurt, he took longer to come back than should. He was always looking for time off and was never worth where he was drafted. The way his career ended fit him perfectly. He went out crying about being traded and looking for more money even though he wasn't worth the cash he was already getting. Albert might have been a wonderful person, never met the guy, but he was the classic underachiever because he lacked heart.

Spott
07-31-2017, 10:27 AM
Getting traded to Jacksonville is a good reason to quit.

JakeF
07-31-2017, 10:28 AM
Yeah. I'll eat crow on this one. I wanted us to re-sign him and not draft Fisher.

My bad.
Fisher wasn't worth being #1 but he is already turning into a better investment than Albert because of durability.

Buehler445
07-31-2017, 10:29 AM
Getting traded to Jacksonville is a good reason to quit.

Talk about a shit trade Julius Thomas and a draft pick. LOL

Rausch
07-31-2017, 10:34 AM
Fisher wasn't worth being #1 but he is already turning into a better investment than Albert because of durability.

No...

JakeF
07-31-2017, 10:38 AM
No...
Yes ...

Have you seen how much suck was in that year's draft? Fisher was a solid pick considering most of the alternatives.

Rausch
07-31-2017, 10:40 AM
Yes ...

Have you seen how much suck was in that year's draft? Fisher was a solid pick considering most of the alternatives.

We fucked that draft up.

The biggest fuck up was not taking offers to trade down for less than value.

He refused to take less than "standard" value and it was clearly a weak draft.

HemiEd
07-31-2017, 11:08 AM

Your and idiot

Rausch
07-31-2017, 11:14 AM
Yes ...

A wise GM would have traded down for less than "conventional value" and moved from 1 to say....24.

Shock the system.

Pick up a 2 and 5 and leave the round.

With that we could have taken THE BEST HB IN THE LEAGUE that I was begging us to take (and we could have had we not traded our pick away) that year.

Had we taken Bell (who I was pimping hard that draft) he would have been an unbelievable combo with Charles...

NJChiefsFan
07-31-2017, 11:17 AM
No, it's not. We drafted him to play OT when he should have played guard. Each time Albert got hurt, he took longer to come back than should. He was always looking for time off and was never worth where he was drafted. The way his career ended fit him perfectly. He went out crying about being traded and looking for more money even though he wasn't worth the cash he was already getting. Albert might have been a wonderful person, never met the guy, but he was the classic underachiever because he lacked heart.

You never met the guy yet you know he lacked heart? What is this based off of?

He took too long to come back from injuries? Do you know his doctors, or are you one? How do you know he took too long? Because he took longer than a standard rehab schedule?

RealSNR
07-31-2017, 11:18 AM
No, it's not. We drafted him to play OT when he should have played guard. Each time Albert got hurt, he took longer to come back than should. He was always looking for time off and was never worth where he was drafted. The way his career ended fit him perfectly. He went out crying about being traded and looking for more money even though he wasn't worth the cash he was already getting. Albert might have been a wonderful person, never met the guy, but he was the classic underachiever because he lacked heart.Watch out, guys! We got an NFL tough guy here! Albert's a pussy, guys. Just listen to the tough guy deal with NFL injuries so he can adequately assess whether or not an NFL player is legitimately injured or just being a fat ol' pussy!

In this case tough guy JakeF is saying Albert's injuries weren't real and he should have just played on, but he was a pussy! Good to know. Thanks, JakeF!

Fucking moron.

Hammock Parties
Solid career. One of Carl's best picks in the latter half of his tenure.

Rausch
You never met the guy yet you know he lacked heart? What is this based off of?

He took too long to come back from injuries? Do you know his doctors, or are you one? How do you know he took too long? Because he took longer than a standard rehab schedule?

He was a good guy.

Quick temper, but great guy.

He could have been so much more given the chance to play inside...

Hammock Parties
07-31-2017, 11:19 AM
Prime Albert was a better LT than Fisher will ever be. He was very, very good 2008-2013. Other than Roaf I don't remember a more athletic guy playing for KC at LT.

Injuries ruined him though.

BlackHelicopters
07-31-2017, 11:23 AM
Zero fucks given

Rausch
07-31-2017, 11:25 AM
Prime Albert was a better LT than Fisher will ever be. He was very, very good 2008-2013. Other than Roaf I don't remember a more athletic guy playing for KC at LT.

Will Shields.

That's it.

Albert was a (slow) but consistent boss on the left side.

People can talk shit but don't watch who he faced in his prime...

Rausch
07-31-2017, 11:27 AM
Zero ****s given

I'm shocked you feel that way.

He was never the anchor LT for us but he was much better than Fish.

DJ's left nut
07-31-2017, 11:35 AM
A solid player that didn't live up to potential isn't exactly ball washing...

It's hard to say that a mid-late 1st should've been anything more than Albert ended up.

If every pick made between 15 and 30 had the same kind of career Albert had, you'd be ahead of most GMs. He was a nice player who happened to be here during a time when the team sucked ass so you just never knew what kind of impact he was truly capable of having.

That said, it would've been interesting to see if better technique could've lengthened his career some. He was always so erratic with his base that it had to put more strain on his back.

DJ's left nut
07-31-2017, 11:40 AM

Nah; Fisher has every bit the athleticism Albert had and almost certainly more. Albert has him beat in functional strength and where Albert had weird technique that he made work, Fisher's trying to learn more conventional technique and the learning curve hasn't been as quick as you'd like.

But Fisher could easily be a much better player than Albert was, even at Albert's best. Fisher's functional strength is improving as is his technique. He's doing a better job keeping his legs under him and not over-extending at his punch. Dude looks more and more like a plus LT every game.

Perhaps he never gets to the All-Pro level, but Albert didn't either. Fisher could easily be a repeat pro bowler though.

PunkinDrublic
07-31-2017, 11:40 AM
It's hard to tell with Albert. I'll always remember Albert as the guy rolling around on the ground making everyone think he just sustained a season ending injury only to get up, come back in and finish out the game. The first time I noticed it I gave him props for toughing it out until someone on here pointed out that he does it all the time. The next couple times I noticed, I started to suspect he might be a bit of a drama queen.

Hammock Parties
07-31-2017, 11:42 AM
But Fisher could easily be a much better player than Albert was, even at Albert's best..

He's currently getting owned by a rookie in camp, a few months after a 40-year old owned him.

Not great, bob.

DJ's left nut
07-31-2017, 11:48 AM
He's currently getting owned by a rookie in camp, a few months after a 40-year old owned him.

Not great, bob.

Because Harrison made a move that Hali has beaten literally dozens of tackles with? Fisher played well in that game; lost a battle and ended up getting flagged for a move the league has insisted isn't a penalty a ton of times in the past.

As for camp - who gives a fuck?

DaneMcCloud
07-31-2017, 11:52 AM
As for camp - who gives a fuck?

He's trolling

Hammock Parties
07-31-2017, 11:54 AM
Because Harrison made a move that Hali has beaten literally dozens of tackles with? Fisher played well in that game; lost a battle and ended up getting flagged for a move the league has insisted isn't a penalty a ton of times in the past.

Harrison got the better of Fisher the entire game. That wasn't a great effort by Fisher at all. In addition to getting owned on that 2-point play, he gave up a sack, a hit and 3 QB pressures. Mediocre at best.

That's what Fisher strikes me as. Mediocre. And he's supposed to be in his prime, now. He won't get much bettter IMO.

Rasputin
07-31-2017, 11:55 AM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000814259/article/branden-albert-told-doug-marrone-hell-be-at-minicamp

So back in June he tells the Jags that he would play but now is a quitter.

That kind of screws over the Jags cuz he should have just retired before the draft.

DJ's left nut
07-31-2017, 11:57 AM
Harrison got the better of Fisher the entire game. That wasn't a great effort by Fisher at all. In addition to getting owned on that 2-point play, he gave up a sack, a hit and 3 QB pressures. Mediocre at best.

That's what Fisher strikes me as. Mediocre. And he's supposed to be in his prime, now. He won't get much bettter IMO.

He doesn't need to get a lot better; Albert wasn't a premier player. Fisher's an average to slightly above average LT who came to the NFL green as grass and with an injury then was asked to switch positions. Last year was his 2nd year healthy and where he'll end up.

If he plateaus this year, I think that may be the best we get from him, but I think there's room for additional growth there still. Like I said; not a stud, but as a genuinely good player. That's all Albert ever was - merely pretty good. And if Fisher can reach that level while also playing more than the 12-13 games you could come to expect from Albert, that's a demonstrably better player.

Deberg_1990
07-31-2017, 12:15 PM

Wrong

JakeF
07-31-2017, 12:16 PM
A wise GM would have traded down for less than "conventional value" and moved from 1 to say....24.

Shock the system.

Pick up a 2 and 5 and leave the round.

With that we could have taken THE BEST HB IN THE LEAGUE that I was begging us to take (and we could have had we not traded our pick away) that year.

Had we taken Bell (who I was pimping hard that draft) he would have been an unbelievable combo with Charles...What wise GM would trade up with us?

Rausch
07-31-2017, 12:16 PM
Wrong

No, Prime Albert was short but he was far better than Fish...

Rausch
07-31-2017, 12:17 PM
What wise GM would trade up with us?

Any GM in the league would trade down for a 2 and 5 that year...

JakeF
07-31-2017, 12:19 PM
I imagine the Chiefs would have traded down if someone would have made a decent offer. The draft was shit and the Chiefs took who they could.

Rausch
07-31-2017, 12:20 PM
I imagine the Chiefs would have traded down if someone would have made a decent offer.

A decent offer at that time is not a decent offer looking back.

The point is the held ground and made a point of holding ground.

It did them O% good...

DJ's left nut
07-31-2017, 12:27 PM
A decent offer at that time is not a decent offer looking back.

The point is the held ground and made a point of holding ground.

It did them O% good...

How do you figure? Staying pat got them a starting caliber LT. I wouldn't say that's "0% good". It's a plenty passable alternative.

Moving down for a paltry return means they're looking at a gaping hole at what is very possibly the 2nd or 3rd most important position in football right now.

Taking Fisher was the best possible outcome in a draft year that there were a whole slew of shitty outcomes unless you're going to play the pure hindsight game and say "well they could've just taken Bakhtiari instead of Knile Davis"...

Okay, fine, ya got me. Bell and Bakhtiari would've been better than Fisher and Davis. But that's a hell of a lot of hindsight on the Bakhtiari pick (though interestingly, I'm pretty sure I took him in the Chiefsplanet Mock for somebody...).

MahiMike
07-31-2017, 05:40 PM
Great player for the Chiefs.

POS acquisition for the Jags.

scho63
07-31-2017, 05:47 PM
The guy struggled for a long time with injuries that made him 25-50% of what he could be.

MMXcalibur
07-31-2017, 06:13 PM
Shitty thing for Albert to do to the Jaguars.

I'm on the players side in 95% of the time in "player vs team" scenarios, but Albert did the Jags dirty here.

NJChiefsFan
07-31-2017, 08:50 PM
Okay, fine, ya got me. Bell and Bakhtiari would've been better than Fisher and Davis. But that's a hell of a lot of hindsight on the Bakhtiari pick (though interestingly, I'm pretty sure I took him in the Chiefsplanet Mock for somebody...).

All the criticism of that pick using a ton of hindsight. None of the realistic options at that time turned out better. Hell even now, years later, it's hard to argue with that pick considering the rest of the top 15.

BryanBusby
07-31-2017, 08:52 PM

I'm on the players side in 95% of the time in "player vs team" scenarios, but Albert did the Jags dirty here.
I kindof understand Albert. The guy has already made bank and likely wants a ring.

If I got off the plane in Jax to see Bortles waiting, I'd probably say fuck it and quit too. It's not like the guy asked to be dealt to Football Iraq.

DJ's left nut
07-31-2017, 09:06 PM

Willie Roaf did the same thing and he's still worshipped around here.

I lost a ton of respect for the guy, especially after Jordan Black got Trent Green killed.

BryanBusby
07-31-2017, 09:16 PM
Roaf could barely move before that camp started. Don't blame him for quitting on Permasuck.

DaneMcCloud
07-31-2017, 09:26 PM

Which GM made that trade?

DaneMcCloud
07-31-2017, 09:27 PM
Willie Roaf did the same thing and he's still worshipped around here.

I lost a ton of respect for the guy, especially after Jordan Black got Trent Green killed.

Which also proved that Trent Green wasn't a thing

17/10 is garbage.

But "Hai Guys, let's pass on Drew Brees for 32 year old Trent Green!".

TigeRRUppeRRcut
07-31-2017, 09:57 PM
Hey look, a Dorsey decision that worked in our favor.

lcarus
07-31-2017, 09:57 PM
The guy played 85 games in 6 seasons for us, and played pretty well. Who was our LT before we drafted him...Jordan Black? He was a good pick and a good player. And we parted ways and replaced him at the right time.

Buehler445
07-31-2017, 10:12 PM
The guy played 85 games in 6 seasons for us, and played pretty well. Who was our LT before we drafted him...Jordan Black? He was a good pick and a good player. And we parted ways and replaced him at the right time.

Damien McIntosh.

He wasn't terrible. Until he went to the right side. Then he was terrible.

By the by, it goes without saying, but I'd be remiss if I didn't say it.

FUCK Squirmin Herman Motherfucking Sack of Cunt Edwards.

DaneMcCloud
07-31-2017, 10:15 PM
Damien McIntosh.

He wasn't terrible. Until he went to the right side. Then he was terrible.

By the by, it goes without saying, but I'd be remiss if I didn't say it.

FUCK Squirmin Herman Motherfucking Sack of Cunt Edwards.

Sackintosh was awful.

Maybe the Chiefs worst left tackle of All Time

InChiefsHeaven
08-01-2017, 10:00 AM
Time is getting away from me...he had 9 years in the league? Holy shit...

DJ's left nut
08-01-2017, 10:23 AM
Which also proved that Trent Green wasn't a thing

17/10 is garbage.

But "Hai Guys, let's pass on Drew Brees for 32 year old Trent Green!".

That's hardly fair. Trent Green was a very good quarterback for this team for 3-4 years. Now I'm universally opposed to trading a 1st rounder for a 31 yr old passer but for a few years he was capable of going toe to toe with the best in the league. He was a limited player, yes, but he was a damn good pure thrower and there weren't many guys in the league at the time that would've been better in this system than he was.

But lord man, he was 35-36 by the time he started to slip; hard to really kill him for losing out to time. All mere mortals do.

Passing on Brees was an obvious, unquestionable mistake (hard to believe they didn't have a plan B until you realize that Mahomes is the first time in our lifetimes that the Chiefs had an obvious succession plan in place). But acting like Green was a scrub isn't fair either - dude could sling it.

DJ's left nut
08-01-2017, 10:27 AM
Roaf could barely move before that camp started. Don't blame him for quitting on Permasuck.

Then retire before the draft. And hell, Roaf couldn't move the last 3-4 years of his career. Every other week we'd read some article about 'warrior Roaf' who looked like a 90 yr old man walking to the huddle and then when the game started exploded.

Guy didn't want to work anymore. He was rich, football is hard - so he quit. That's fine; he certainly has cause to do so. But to do so 2 weeks before training camp and leave your teammates holding the bag and QB exposed is absolute shit.

He's the left tackle. He wasn't a corner or LB or WR - he's a guy who, by quitting, exposed his teammates to genuine physical harm. It took all of, what, 3 weeks for it to happen? And somehow he gets a pass for it. Unreal.

thabear04
08-01-2017, 12:39 PM
Sackintosh was awful.

Maybe the Chiefs worst left tackle of All Time

Was Jordan Black a RT or LT cause that guy was shit too.

Hammock Parties
08-01-2017, 01:35 PM
Black played LT in 06. He gave up something like 13 sacks that year.

Carl reacted by overpaying for Sackintosh, who was better, but not by much.

Then Kyle Turley got thrown somewhere in the mix and you had all the reasons you needed to fire Carl.

DaneMcCloud
08-01-2017, 02:44 PM
That's hardly fair.

I've just never been a Trent Green fan and the fact that Vermeil & Peterson passed on Drew Brees in order to "Win Now" probably exacerbates it.

DJ's left nut
08-01-2017, 02:49 PM
I've just never been a Trent Green fan and the fact that Vermeil & Peterson passed on Drew Brees in order to "Win Now" probably exacerbates it.

History repeated itself less egregiously with Smith.

In a vacuum, the Smith trade was defensible but you really would've like to see them hedge it by having another young QB brought in and ready to replace him. But the coaching staff had stars in its eyes and bought into the veteran QB too strongly. So while they liked Carr, they couldn't see past Smith and passed on him.

Well the Green/Brees situation is virtually identical. Carr won't have the career Brees has had (no Raider dicksuckers, he won't; Brees may be the best pure passer in NFL history) and Green was a better QB than Smith. So the cockpunch isn't quite as bad this time around as last.

But man, if they're going to acquire these veteran QBs with 3-5 year shelf lives, it sure would be nice if they'd have done a better job of 'life after veteran' than Vermiel and Reid did. The approaches were defensible but ultimately wrong.

'Hamas' Jenkins
08-01-2017, 03:22 PM

Then Kyle Turley got thrown somewhere in the mix and you had all the reasons you needed to fire Carl.

I-65, Sackintosh, Nsuckwe, O'Failaghan, Nowanger, Herb Taylor....man, the Chiefs had some shit O-linemen from about 2005-20010.

scho63
08-02-2017, 08:51 PM
I-65, Sackintosh, Nsuckwe, O'Failaghan, Nowanger, Herb Taylor....man, the Chiefs had some shit O-linemen from about 2005-20010.

Really stunning to go from the incredible lines of Will Shields, Willie Roaf, Dave Szott, Tim Grunhard, John Alt to what that shit was. :shake:

staylor26
08-02-2017, 09:28 PM

Jordan Black?

Edit: missed I-65 LMAO

Rain Man
08-02-2017, 09:46 PM

If your left tackle gives up 13 sacks, there's no such thing as overreacting.

Hammock Parties
08-02-2017, 10:41 PM

And they sucked so bad they led me to steady full-time employment. ROFL

Rasputin
08-02-2017, 11:45 PM
Was Jordan Black a RT or LT cause that guy was shit too.

Jordan wasn't black he is white misleading last name

RealSNR
08-03-2017, 12:06 AM

There's another huge fucking turd the Chiefs had to stomach in Pioli's shit fuck of a 2009 "evaluation year" that I almost forgot about.

He didn't like our offensive linemen that he inherited, and he didn't fucking figure that out until after the draft and free agency. And he didn't tap into his pro personnel league-wide scouting notes, either.

Instead, he gave us the glorious Mike Goff as our major free agent acquisition that year, figuring that's how he'd secure that horrific left side hole left by Will Shields' retirement.

Big time fuck up. And he knew it.

So he thinks he needs to throw bodies at the problem. Where does he turn? Daddy fucking Parcells in Miami. Trades for THEIR leftovers. The 2008-09 Miami Dolphins-- known for their GLORIOUS offensive lines! He trades a 5th rounder for Andy Alleman (did he even play a single snap in 2009?) and Ike Eatdookie. Like THOSE guys were going to help shit at all.

But wait... he's forgotten about RT and the massive problem of Barry Richardson sucking ass when Eatdookie proved to not fix the problem. So he picks up O'Irishsuck and claims he's turning over the roster and improving it when all he did was replace Herm's shit with HIS shit!

We should have fired that motherfucker on the spot. On the fucking spot. We should have done it after the Cassel trade, but if there was anything that should have tipped us off that the former executive of the year was a giant fucking fraud, THAT shit was it. He was essentially a kid who had to do a presentation in class and didn't do any of the homework required for it to actually make sense and earn a good grade. He was making shit up as he went along, and the stuff he was making up was everything safe and familiar. That guy wouldn't even LOOK at a player acquisition if he wasn't under 3 degrees removed from Belichick or Parcells.

"Evaluation year" indeed. Dorsey didn't need a fucking "evaluation year." Not even Carl fucking Peterson needed an evaluation year when he took over the job decades ago.

What a goddamn fraud. I don't care if he's re-invented himself. If you give that guy full control over ANY roster EVER again I guaranfuckingtee the exact same shit will happen. Guys like Pioli never change their fucking stripes. Only difference is now he might back off getting worked up over candy wrappers.

Hammock Parties
08-03-2017, 12:11 AM
Interestingly enough Pioli did build a solid enough line by 2012 with Allen, Hudson, Asamoah and Winston.

I wonder what changed. Because those guys were all serviceable at the very worst.

Sorce
08-08-2017, 11:32 AM
Now he apparently wants to un retire.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/branden-albert-reportedly-wants-to-unretire-but-jaguars-may-not-want-him-back/

I wonder if this was his plan all along, either to get the team to release him or to skip part of the offseason workouts.

ModSocks
08-08-2017, 11:35 AM
Interestingly enough Pioli did build a solid enough line by 2012 with Allen, Hudson, Asamoah and Winston.

I wonder what changed. Because those guys were all serviceable at the very worst.

Winston was a FA bust and was out of the league 2 seasons later. Allen was always injured and Asamoah was Ass.

mcaj22
08-08-2017, 12:04 PM
Winston was a FA bust and was out of the league 2 seasons later. Allen was always injured and Asamoah was Ass.

might shock you but Winston is still on an NFL roster lol

sedated
08-08-2017, 12:16 PM
Winston was a FA bust and was out of the league 2 seasons later.

He's no gladiator.

Sorce
08-08-2017, 12:21 PM
He's no gladiator.

Thickening and dithguthing

DJ's left nut
08-08-2017, 12:30 PM
Now he apparently wants to un retire.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/branden-albert-reportedly-wants-to-unretire-but-jaguars-may-not-want-him-back/

I wonder if this was his plan all along, either to get the team to release him or to skip part of the offseason workouts.

I read there was some money that was going to have to go back and that's why he's had a change of heart. Maybe some pro-rated signing bonus? Somewhere north of $3 million and change.

I'd probably have a change of heart in that event as well.

DaneMcCloud
08-08-2017, 01:02 PM

Winston was a 16 game starter last year for the Bengals.

He's been consistently employed since the Chiefs released him.

DaneMcCloud
08-08-2017, 01:03 PM
I read there was some money that was going to have to go back and that's why he's had a change of heart. Maybe some pro-rated signing bonus? Somewhere north of $3 million and change.

I'd probably have a change of heart in that event as well.

Yeah, reports are that to retire, Coughlin would make him payback $3.4 million of his signing bonus. Albert's agent didn't explain that to him when he decided to retire, so he asked to "unretire".

The Jags aren't having it and placed him on the Reserved/Retired list and own his rights.

It'll be interesting to see if Coughlin goes after the money.

I'd bet Shahid Khan couldn't care less but Coughlin is a cranky old bastard.

MahiMike
08-08-2017, 01:15 PM
What a circus. You would think a veteran would know he has to pay back the money. I hope he spent it all and doesn't get another job in the NFL. Asshole.

mcaj22
08-08-2017, 01:16 PM
I dont know why they dont just cut him, the Dolphins are on the hook for that dead money, costs the Jags nothing money wise from what I understand.

At this point its probably just a game of not wanting him to get that 3.4 million at all

jjchieffan
08-08-2017, 01:16 PM
Yeah, reports are that to retire, Coughlin would make him payback $3.4 million of his signing bonus. Albert's agent didn't explain that to him when he decided to retire, so he asked to "unretire".

The Jags aren't having it and placed him on the Reserved/Retired list and own his rights.

It'll be interesting to see if Coughlin goes after the money.

I'd bet Shahid Khan couldn't care less but Coughlin is a cranky old bastard.

I wonder how that works? If he wants to come back, then his salary still counts against their cap right? They have to release him to free up the cap space. I mean, they can't just hold his rights, keep him from signing anywhere else, and not have him count against them in some way I wouldn't think. Plus, if he is trying to come back, can the team really have a chance at recovering the signing bonus money? Speaking of the signing bonus money, that was paid by the Dolphins, not the Jags, so how can they recover any of it?

DaneMcCloud
08-08-2017, 01:17 PM
What a circus. You would think a veteran would know he has to pay back the money. I hope he spent it all and doesn't get another job in the NFL. Asshole.

Guys retire all the time with money that could be reclaimed by the team but it rarely, if ever, happens.

But this is Tom Coughlin we're talking about.

Who knows what the cranky old bastard will do.

DaneMcCloud
08-08-2017, 01:19 PM
I wonder how that works? If he wants to come back, then his salary still counts against their cap right? They have to release him to free up the cap space. I mean, they can't just hold his rights, keep him from signing anywhere else, and not have him count against them in some way I wouldn't think. Plus, if he is trying to come back, can the team really have a chance at recovering the signing bonus money? Speaking of the signing bonus money, that was paid by the Dolphins, not the Jags, so how can they recover any of it?

He retired so they're no longer obligated to pay his 2017 salary.

Apparently, he has guaranteed money that hit their cap with his retirement, so the Jags will take a Dead Cap hit unless they force Albert to repay it.

The moment he was traded to Jacksonville, all monetary obligations became theirs and not the Dolphins.

jjchieffan
08-08-2017, 01:25 PM

Apparently, he has guaranteed money that hit their cap with his retirement, so the Jags will take a Dead Cap hit unless they force Albert to repay it.

The moment he was traded to Jacksonville, all monetary obligations became theirs and not the Dolphins.

I would think that the dead cap hit would be the Dolphins the minute they traded him. They're the ones that paid the signing bonus. What have the Jags paid him? They can't take a dead cap hit on money that they didn't pay. Did they give Miami cash in the trade for the remaining signing bonus?
And as far as the being retired so no longer obligated to pay his salary, isn't that why the Seahawks let Lynch sign with the Fade? Because they were going to be on the hook for his salary because he was still under contract? And there was talk of Megatron coming back and forcing the Lions to cut or trade him because of the salary cap hit. How is Albert's situation different?

Not saying that you're wrong. Just trying to make sense of it.

DaneMcCloud
08-08-2017, 01:34 PM
I would think that the dead cap hit would be the Dolphins the minute they traded him. They're the ones that paid the signing bonus. What have the Jags paid him? They can't take a dead cap hit on money that they didn't pay. Did they give Miami cash in the trade for the remaining signing bonus?

That's not how it works. You trade for a guy, you assume his contract and financial responsibility. Now, if Albert had agreed to restructure his deal after the trade, then I'm sure that Coughlin wouldn't have given up any guaranteed money on his new deal. But that didn't happen.

Albert played the Jags, plain and simple.

And as far as the being retired so no longer obligated to pay his salary, isn't that why the Seahawks let Lynch sign with the Fade? Because they were going to be on the hook for his salary because he was still under contract? And there was talk of Megatron coming back and forcing the Lions to cut or trade him because of the salary cap hit. How is Albert's situation different?

Not saying that you're wrong. Just trying to make sense of it.

The Seahawks traded Lynch to the Raiders and Lynch agreed to redo his entire contract so that the Raiders wouldn't be on the hook for the $5 million or so he had left on his Seattle deal.

There's no way in the world the Lions were going to do the same for CJ.

DJ's left nut
08-08-2017, 01:53 PM

Guaranteed money - yes. Bonus money - no. The Bonus money all went on Miami's cap.

Honestly, I'm not even sure how Jax could force him to repay it and if they did, why would they get a cap credit for money that was never charged to their cap to begin with? Wouldn't it be Miami with the standing to force him to pay it back? They actually paid it. But by trading him, have they lost their status as an injured party? If so, could Jax now claim that part of the reason they traded for him was that they didn't have to worry about his signing bonus and thus part of the 'value' was that his bonus had already been paid. In that event, I could see them having standing to get the bonus money back but still not get a cap credit for it.

As for guaranteed money, nothing on his prior contract indicates that he had any guaranteed salary for 2017, at least not that I can find. I don't see any way Albert's retirement should create any kind of cap charge against Jax.

It's an odd, tangled web to be sure.

DaneMcCloud
08-11-2017, 01:50 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Jaguars?src=hash">#Jaguars</a> have officially released LT Branden Albert. Saga is over</p>&mdash; Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) <a href="https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/896092799304474625">August 11, 2017</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Bewbies
08-11-2017, 01:52 PM
You think Elway has called his agent yet? LMAO

JakeF
08-11-2017, 03:22 PM
Albert never retired, he told the Jags he was coming back so they cut him.

Hydrae
08-11-2017, 03:42 PM
Albert never retired, he told the Jags he was coming back so they cut him.

I think that saved him some money that he was going to have to pay back if he just retired. Something like $3.5 mil.

DJ's left nut
08-11-2017, 03:44 PM
Yeah, in the end Albert won here. Got everything he wanted and doesn't have to play for the Jags. Everything came up quitter on this one.

JakeF
08-11-2017, 03:49 PM
Yeah, in the end Albert won here. Got everything he wanted and doesn't have to play for the Jags. Everything came up quitter on this one.I've never thought Albert had a passion for the game.

MahiMike
08-11-2017, 03:55 PM
Well, Bye!

Nickhead
03-02-2018, 05:21 PM
Well, Bye!

he say's from the jail cell :D