PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Any reason besides Dorsey drama to be down on the Chiefs?

carcosa
07-31-2017, 10:53 AM
Back in February, the Chiefs were widely considered to have a roster strong enough to compete for the division again in 2017. Now, the first big media outlet to release season predictions (USA Today) has the Chiefs going 8-8, and the general sense I've gotten online and from non-Chiefs fans I've talked to seems to be that they're going to be mediocre this year.

Admittedly, this has been a really weird offseason. But has anything really happened that should have people thinking the Chiefs won't compete? I feel like people are keying into the easy storyline (unexpected firing of GM leads to chaos and disarray) and forgetting that this team has Travis Kelce, Tyreek Hill, Marcus Peters, Eric Berry, (a hopefully healthy) Justin Houston, (an apparently good) Dee Ford, and a lot of solid players and continuity across the board. Alex Smith is a perennial concern, but this team has always managed to win with him anyway.

The schedule looks tough, but not daunting. The Raiders will be good, but not unbeatable. If everything breaks our way, 12-4 and the division seems totally attainable. If everything doesn't, 9-7 or 10-6 and a wild card berth seems like the floor. As I see it, it would take something close to a disaster to go 8-8 or worse and miss out on the playoffs entirely.

Am I being an overly-optimistic homer??

Hammock Parties
07-31-2017, 10:55 AM
The Chiefs didn't really get better in the offseason. Other teams did. It's as simple as that.

The Franchise
07-31-2017, 10:56 AM
We're counting on a lot of young guys to step up and fill the holes on this roster.

Chief_For_Life58
It just really seems like you cant believe a single word that comes out of the Chiefs organization anymore. AR is running the whole ship now. Hopefully he doesnt drive it into the ground like he did in Philly. Hopefully Clarky doesnt let that happen. lol clarky

Fish
https://i.redd.it/m1nxd4dxd6ay.gif

O.city
07-31-2017, 10:57 AM
We're counting on a lot of young guys to step up and fill the holes on this roster.

Such as?

raybec 4
07-31-2017, 10:59 AM
I'm shocked it took 5 posts for "the gif"

The Franchise
07-31-2017, 11:00 AM
Such as?

Hill is now the #1 WR on this team.
LG is still an issue and Ehinger won't be ready for the start of the season.
CBs are still in flux.
ILB is a mess.

Prison Bitch
The Chiefs didn't really get better in the offseason. Other teams did. It's as simple as that.

Who? SD? Den? Who did Oakland add other than their QB coming back from injury. And a FA TE that was run out of GB for a better player?

raybec 4
Such as?

RB, WR, ILB

Rausch
07-31-2017, 11:03 AM
Our WR's provide little big-play-potential other than the guy who shouldn't be a WR most of the time...

RunKC
07-31-2017, 11:04 AM

Our front 7 is much better than it was in the last game we played.

BlackOp
07-31-2017, 11:04 AM
USA Today has the Raiders in the AFC Championship game...based on what? Paying Carr and signing a 31 year old Lynch?

They have beaten a total of 2 play-off bound teams in two years. Both teams had Osweiler at QB...15-12 against Denver (2015) and Texans in Mexico.

Del Rio as a HC...I dont get it. The universal fake-hype is out of control.

O.city
07-31-2017, 11:06 AM
CBs are still in flux.
ILB is a mess.

Hill was the de facto #1 last year though. LG is what it is, the CB"s are a year older and ILB still sucks.

They upgraded the DL, RB's and have hopefully their best players back healthy to start the year.

I'm not sure where the doom and gloom has come from.

DaneMcCloud
07-31-2017, 11:06 AM

Which Divisional teams improved?

Which non-divisional teams, outside of the Patriots improved?

I'll be curious as to your answers.

O.city
07-31-2017, 11:07 AM
Poe for Logan would look to be an upgrade on the DL, plus having some guys back healthy.

Hopefully Jones is ok though. Thats tough.

Rausch
07-31-2017, 11:07 AM
RB, WR, ILB

RB/HB is not an issue...

DaneMcCloud
07-31-2017, 11:09 AM
Hill was the de facto #1 last year though. LG is what it is, the CB"s are a year older and ILB still sucks.

They upgraded the DL, RB's and have hopefully their best players back healthy to start the year.

I'm not sure where the doom and gloom has come from.

There is none.

Houston is finally healthy. Dee Ford is healthy. If Witzmann is an upgrade over Fulton, awesome. If not, the line was great last year, regardless.

Hill will improve. Conley will improve. The running back position has more depth. Mauga and DJ are healthy and Wilson is the starting MIKE. Peters is still Peters, Nelson and Mitchell be better.

The defensive line will enter the season healthy. The QB position is the deepest it's been, maybe ever.

DaneMcCloud
07-31-2017, 11:10 AM
USA Today has the Raiders in the AFC Championship game...based on what?

Based on playing in the 6th largest market in the US.

The Raiders, even when awful, get nearly as much pub as the Cowboys (and the Cowboys get more pub than just about any team, even when they're awful).

Hammock Parties
07-31-2017, 11:10 AM
Mauga and DJ are healthy and Wilson is the starting MIKE.

Josh Mauga isn't even starting.

This team still has major question marks in the front 7.

O.city
07-31-2017, 11:11 AM
nice edit

saphojunkie
07-31-2017, 11:12 AM
Saying we didn't improve is factually dishonest. That assumes that Hunt isn't an upgrade over Charles, who was injured all year. It assumes Logan isn't an upgrade over Poe, who has never been the same since his injury. It assumes Kpassagnon's freak size and athleticism is fool's gold (ask Fisher). It assumes that Hill peaked as a rookie. It assumes the OL has peaked as a unit. It assumes Peters has peaked. It assumes none of the rookies will be upgrades.

It basically assumes every rookie sucks, every cut was a net loss, and no player can get better from one year to the next.

The only reason to say we are not a better team is because we cut Maclin, and the jury is still out on that one.

Oh, and it assumes Houston won't be better with a full year of recovery.

BlackOp
07-31-2017, 11:13 AM
Based on playing in the 6th largest market in the US.

The Raiders, even when awful, get nearly as much pub as the Cowboys (and the Cowboys get more pub than just about any team, even when they're awful).

They are going to get exposed playing a much tougher schedule...they needed a lot of last second wins against average teams last year.

DaneMcCloud
Josh Mauga isn't even starting.

Mauga isn't starting because Wilson is the better player.

Mauga will provide nice depth, if he makes the squad.

This team still has major question marks in the front 7.

You're trolling

penbrook
ILB Arthur Brown just got cut

penbrook
07-31-2017, 11:14 AM
Mauga isn't starting because Wilson is the better player.

Mauga will provide nice depth, if he makes the squad.

Mauga is a better run stuffer but Wilson is better in pass coverage

saphojunkie
07-31-2017, 11:15 AM
I'm not saying we are better, because saying either definitively is pure speculation.

I will say I like what I see from Hill, Hunt, Kpassagnon, Logan, and chess on.

And Mahomes - even if it is to push Smith.

Hammock Parties
07-31-2017, 11:15 AM
It basically assumes every rookie sucks, every cut was a net loss, and no player can get better from one year to the next.

You're counting on rookies and players improving to say the team is better.

So is every other team in the NFL. Every homer in every NFL city is saying the same thing.

Real, tangible veteran upgrades were noticeably absent this offseason. That's why we're plugging in a ??? at LG again.

Hammock Parties
07-31-2017, 11:16 AM
You're trolling

I'm not. It's a valid opinion. This team's front 7 wasn't transformed in the offseason.

staylor26
07-31-2017, 11:16 AM
Clay is so fucking full of shit

Hammock Parties
07-31-2017, 11:17 AM
Clay is so fucking full of shit

Me and all the other people predicting a down year for the Chiefs, right bud?

BlackOp
07-31-2017, 11:18 AM
Real, tangible veteran upgrades were noticeably absent this offseason. That's why we're plugging in a ??? at LG again.

Logan? Getting Houston, DJ and Bailey back?

If a team signed Houston away in the off-season..that team would be hyped through the roof.

BlackHelicopters
07-31-2017, 11:19 AM
Because Chiefs.

Rausch
07-31-2017, 11:20 AM
If Ford/Houston/Hali are healthy we can compete.

Hali needs to be benched and rotational only but this team is stacked. And frankly this is our last year before the Dorsey cap blows up COMPLETELY.

Hammock Parties
07-31-2017, 11:21 AM

If a team signed Houston away in the off-season..that team would be hyped through the roof.

Houston and DJ are huge question marks. Their knees might bend the wrong way tomorrow.

penbrook
07-31-2017, 11:21 AM
Blair Kerkhoff @BlairKerkhoff
Chiefs special teams coach Dave Toub on wr/ret DeAnthony Thomas: "Pound for pound, he's the toughest player we've got. No ?"

Rausch
07-31-2017, 11:23 AM
Chiefs special teams coach Dave Toub on wr/ret DeAnthony Thomas: "Pound for pound, he's the toughest player we've got. No ?"

No...

rico
07-31-2017, 11:24 AM

DAT??? Really... I thought he was a bit of a mental midget...

Eleazar
07-31-2017, 11:24 AM

You're assuming these players are going to stay healthy and play at a consistently high level. With Houston and DJ it's definitely not a given.

staylor26
07-31-2017, 11:27 AM
Me and all the other people predicting a down year for the Chiefs, right bud?

Give me a break. You're always predicting a down year. Everybody was picking the Raiders to win the division last year too. Plenty had us finishing 3rd.

OnTheWarpath15
07-31-2017, 11:30 AM
If you put any stock into the Pythagorean Formula, we won 2 more games than expected last year.

And according to this year's win totals set by Vegas - the Raiders, Chiefs and Broncos are all predicted to be between 8.5 and 9.5 wins.

Guess it depends on what you consider a "down year", but I'm not seeing a repeat of a 12 win season.

Hammock Parties
07-31-2017, 11:33 AM
Give me a break. You're always predicting a down year. Everybody was picking the Raiders to win the division last year too. Plenty had us finishing 3rd.

True, but there was no way to anticipate the impact of Tyreek Hill. He looked terrible in preseason.

Without him last year's team was very average, and my prediction would have been spot on.

While he is now an impact player, the rest of the team hasn't improved IMO, Smith will be worse, and the schedule is much harder.

OnTheWarpath15
07-31-2017, 11:34 AM

And most rational people believe they would have if not for Carr's broken drumstick on Christmas Eve.

staylor26
07-31-2017, 11:36 AM
True, but there was no way to anticipate the impact of Tyreek Hill. He looked terrible in preseason.

Without him last year's team was very average, and my prediction would have been spot on.

While he is now an impact player, the rest of the team hasn't improved IMO, Smith will be worse, and the schedule is much harder.

This team has had rookies and free agents step up every single year during Reid's tenure.

Maybe you should start antipciating it instead of expecting it not to happen.

Eleazar
07-31-2017, 11:36 AM
Even if everyone is healthy and plays well, you've still got the Chiefs trying to sell you that an Andy and Alex team has a ceiling of anything beyond a playoff one and done. It doesn't.

Of course, now there's hope because of Mahomes. And even if amazing things happen and he's so good they can't keep him out of the games, and Mahomes becomes the starter at midseason - and even if you assume he's going to step right in and play well (even though he's not seen as an especially pro-ready prospect) - what's the furthest a rookie QB can be expected to take a team?

Probably the best we could hope for even in that best case scenario is winning a playoff game. "Andy with Alex" and "Andy with rookie QB" probably both max out at beating a wild card team.

In the future we can hope that Mahomes turns into Aaron Rodgers, but for this year our HC still has all his major shortcomings, we're still undermanned in several areas, the defense is aging and was spotty last year.

2017 is not the year for high expectations, it's a year that should be filled with excitement but excitement about the future. We're in a holding pattern until we figure out if Mahomes is the guy.

OnTheWarpath15
07-31-2017, 11:38 AM
Even if everyone is healthy and plays well, you've still got the Chiefs trying to sell you that an Andy and Alex team has a ceiling of anything beyond a playoff one and done. It doesn't.

Of course, now there's hope because of Mahomes. And even if amazing things happen and he's so good they can't keep him out of the games, and Mahomes becomes the starter at midseason - and even if you assume he's going to step right in and play well (even though he's not seen as an especially pro-ready prospect) - what's the furthest a rookie QB can be expected to take a team?

Probably the best we could hope for even in that best case scenario is winning a playoff game. "Andy with Alex" and "Andy with rookie QB" probably both max out at beating a wild card team.

In the future we can hope that Mahomes turns into Aaron Rodgers, but for this year our HC still has all his major shortcomings, we're still undermanned in several areas, the defense is aging and was spotty last year.

2017 is not the year for high expectations, it's a year that should be filled with excitement but excitement about the future. We're in a holding pattern until we figure out if Mahomes is the guy.

Pretty damn good post.

raybec 4
07-31-2017, 11:39 AM

If I hadn't been so wrong, I would have been right.

DaneMcCloud
07-31-2017, 11:41 AM
I'm not. It's a valid opinion. This team's front 7 wasn't transformed in the offseason.

:facepalm:

Trolling

DaneMcCloud
07-31-2017, 11:42 AM
You know, I'm not even going to bother disputing Hammock Parties anymore.

I'm just going to call it for what it is: Trolling.

Hammock Parties
07-31-2017, 11:43 AM
At least you're civil about it.

staylor26
07-31-2017, 11:44 AM
And most rational people believe they would have if not for Carr's broken drumstick on Christmas Eve.

No, most rational people would see that the Raiders lost the division because they got beat twice by the division winner, and injuries ****ing happen.

Most rational people also wouldn't just assume that Carr gets an automatic W in Denver when they had nothing to lose and were playing spoiler.

Most rational people also understand that every team deals with injuries and if you look at the 2106 Chiefs and Raiders as a whole we were probably more unfortunate then them in that department.

I can only imagine if the shoe was on the other foot and we lost our QB for week 17 and I was on CP saying we lost the division because of that. You negative ****s would be really quick to bring up that we didn't take care of business before that and at least get a split.

DaneMcCloud
07-31-2017, 11:44 AM
Pretty damn good post.

The same people have been spewing the same shit since Reid arrived and all the Chiefs have done is win 43 games.

This is a 10 win team at worst and a 12 win team at best. They're going to stumble, they're going to have injuries but they've been able to overcome injuries to their best and highest paid players during Reid's tenure.

That's not going to suddenly stop.

Best22
07-31-2017, 11:45 AM

"Aging defense?" The only old starter is Derrick Johnson. Hali comes off the bench. Hali is gone next year and DJ probably will be as well.

DaneMcCloud
The Chiefs lose their starting QB and win.

The Raiders lose their starting QB and collapse.

But hey, the Raiders are a better team, right?

DaneMcCloud
"Aging defense?" The only old starter is Derrick Johnson. Hali comes off the bench. Hali is gone next year and DJ probably will be as well.

He's a buttfucking moron.

Ignore him.

O.city
07-31-2017, 11:46 AM
They've got a good coaching staff and a lot of talent

They'll win double digit games and have a similar playoff scenario that we're all used too, unless they're hewlthy

Buehler445
07-31-2017, 11:46 AM

Ummm if Houston goes from broken to dominant, that is pretty big improvement over Zombo.

Al Bundy
07-31-2017, 11:47 AM
As an outsider, I'm not down on the Chiefs. I personally think they got one of the 3 best DL in the draft in Kpassagnon. I think he upgrades the front 7.

staylor26
07-31-2017, 11:48 AM

They got swept.

Why the **** do these negative idiots ignore this?

That is absolutely why they lost the division. It's really that simple.

Hammock Parties
07-31-2017, 11:49 AM
Ummm if Houston goes from broken to dominant, that is pretty big improvement over Zombo.

I don't think Houston will ever be dominant again, unless he plays Don Stephenson.

PunkinDrublic
07-31-2017, 11:49 AM

Couldn't be that Reid has consistently out coached Del Rio.

RunKC
07-31-2017, 11:50 AM
Clay has already started his schtick of "we can't project anything with these guys".

Next he'll be projecting guys like Jamaal Charles to be awesome, because well that's stage 2 of his posting style

OnTheWarpath15
07-31-2017, 11:52 AM

I'm going to assume you're arguing for arguing's sake, because the Dane I know KNOWS that there is a HUGE difference between losing Alex Smith and Nick Foles replacing him - and losing Derek Carr and having Matt McGloin replace him.

Just because the Raiders would have won the division at 13-3 doesn't make the Chiefs a bad team. But losing a franchise QB with one game left in the season and losing Alex Smith for a game couldn't be more different.

Buehler445
07-31-2017, 11:54 AM
I don't think Houston will ever be dominant again, unless he plays Don Stephenson.

What evidence do you have to that end? No more than I do if I were to assert that he is going to rape faces again.

DaneMcCloud
07-31-2017, 11:54 AM
I'm going to assume you're arguing for arguing's sake, because the Dane I know KNOWS that there is a HUGE difference between losing Alex Smith and Nick Foles replacing him - and losing Derek Carr and having Matt McGloin replace him.

Just because the Raiders would have won the division at 13-3 doesn't make the Chiefs a bad team. But losing a franchise QB with one game left in the season and losing Alex Smith for a game couldn't be more different.

The point is that the Raiders are dependent on Carr. He's their offensive star, the team is built around him. They don't have another QB or guy on the offense that can carry their team.

The Chiefs are much better from 1-53 and have proven it since Reid arrived. The Raiders beat the Chiefs once during Reid's tenure, the "Eric Berry has cancer" game.

The Chiefs coaching staff is far better than the Raiders, too.

OnTheWarpath15
07-31-2017, 11:55 AM
The same people have been spewing the same shit since Reid arrived and all the Chiefs have done is win 43 games.

This is a 10 win team at worst and a 12 win team at best. They're going to stumble, they're going to have injuries but they've been able to overcome injuries to their best and highest paid players during Reid's tenure.

That's not going to suddenly stop.

I don't believe Cochise claimed it would?

I have little doubt that they won't win at least 9-10 games, and 11 wouldn't completely shock me.

...you've still got the Chiefs trying to sell you that an Andy and Alex team has a ceiling of anything beyond a playoff one and done. It doesn't.

But, this.

BlackOp

That's a dumb post...and you know it.

staylor26

The 2016 Chiefs were more unfortunate than the Raiders when it comes to injuries.

We swept them anyways.

Shut the **** up.

Hammock Parties
That's a dumb post...and you know it.

Just going by what we saw on the field last year.

Not a dominant player.

The Bad Guy
07-31-2017, 11:57 AM
CBs are still in flux.
ILB is a mess.

I don't think the Cbs are in flux at all.

Competition at ILB is decent.

Team is in pretty good shape.

DaneMcCloud
Just going by what we saw on the field last year.

Not a dominant player.

Trolling

staylor26
Clay has already started his schtick of "we can't project anything with these guys".

Next he'll be projecting guys like Jamaal Charles to be awesome, because well that's stage 2 of his posting style

Exactly.

"Semen will be better than he was last year"

OnTheWarpath15
07-31-2017, 11:58 AM
The point is that the Raiders are dependent on Carr. He's their offensive star, the team is built around him. They don't have another QB or guy on the offense that can carry their team.

The Chiefs are much better from 1-53 and have proven it since Reid arrived. The Raiders beat the Chiefs once during Reid's tenure, the "Eric Berry has cancer" game.

The Chiefs coaching staff is far better than the Raiders, too.

Please point me in the direction of me making any argument to the contrary.

When it was mentioned that everyone predicted Oakland would win the division last year, I just pointed out that anyone thinking rationally agrees that they would have, if not for Carr breaking his leg with one game left in the season.

They beat Denver, finish 13-3. We finish 12-4.

Simple as that. If you want to turn it into something else, take it up with someone else. It's not my argument.

Hammock Parties
07-31-2017, 11:59 AM
Trolling

It's not trolling to state the obvious. Houston was far from dominant last year.

staylor26

When it was mentioned that everyone predicted Oakland would win the division last year, I just pointed out that anyone thinking rationally agrees that they would have, if not for Carr breaking his leg with one game left in the season.

Simple as that. If you want to turn it into something else, take it up with someone else. It's not my argument.

Convenient that you ignored my post that completely shuts this shit the fuck down.

Coward

mcaj22

health is the only question mark regarding some veterans otherwise the team is solid

Eleazar
07-31-2017, 12:00 PM
I don't believe Cochise claimed it would?

I have little doubt that they won't win at least 9-10 games, and 11 wouldn't completely shock me.

But, this.

I don't care about regular season wins. WRT Andy Reid, everyone agrees that he's good at winning regular season games.

Where everyone disagrees is if that makes him a great coach, if we can reasonably expect Andy Reid to ever get over the hump at this point, or if we should be asking for more than just playoff appearances.

Hammock Parties
07-31-2017, 12:01 PM
Convenient that you ignored my post that completely shuts this shit the fuck down.

Coward

We've entered the "angry homer" phase of staylor's offseason.

We will remain here until an embarrassing blowout in the first month of the regular season, and then we won't hear from you until the postseason.

raybec 4
07-31-2017, 12:01 PM

Even with DJ the Chiefs had the 6th youngest roster at the end of last season. They aren't getting old by any stretch.

OnTheWarpath15
07-31-2017, 12:02 PM

I tend to agree, but we're going to need some guys to step up at WR, and in a hurry.

That, or Andy is going to have to actually commit to the run for once.

Eleazar
07-31-2017, 12:03 PM

I don't think there is any question that the Chiefs were the better team last year, and I also don't think there is any question the Raiders would have won the division if not for Carr breaking his leg.

Why would the better team not win the division last year?

Look at the Tampa and Tennessee games.

Buehler445
07-31-2017, 12:03 PM
One thing that is concerning is if the lockerroom fractures if Tamba continues to go nuclear.

Hammock Parties
07-31-2017, 12:05 PM
One thing that is concerning is if the lockerroom fractures if Tamba continues to go nuclear.

There is also this. We didn't have that distraction last year.

OnTheWarpath15

Coward

You've shut nothing down, you blatant homer.

Is there something in the NFL rule book that claims that sweeping a team carries more weight in the standings than winning more games?

If we had a franchise QB and lost him in W16, then lost the division because of it, the amount of blood coming from y'alls vaginas would drown you.

This is the last response you'll get from me, I'll be busy talking to the adults in the thread.

staylor26
We've entered the "angry homer" phase of staylor's offseason.

We will remain here until an embarrassing blowout in the first month of the regular season, and then we won't hear from you until the postseason.

You were wrong about everything last offseason that we argued about.

"Tyreek Hill sucks"

"Dee Ford is a bust"

Just to name a couple.

Hammock Parties
07-31-2017, 12:06 PM
You were wrong about everything last offseason that we argued about.

"Tyreek Hill sucks"

"Dee Ford is a bust"

Just to name a couple.

Deflection.

You want to call HIM a coward? Fine.

But you were the biggest coward in this site's history last year.

Own up to it.

staylor26
07-31-2017, 12:07 PM

Is there something in the NFL rule book that claims that sweeping a team carries more weight in the standings than winning more games?

If we had a franchise QB and lost him in W16, then lost the division because of it, the amount of blood coming from y'alls vaginas would drown you.

This is the last response you'll get from me, I'll be busy talking to the adults in the thread.

But we won more games.

Is there anything in the NFL rule book that you get an imaginary W when your QB goes out for a week?

O.city
07-31-2017, 12:07 PM
They should have won 14 games last year. They'll be good again.

OnTheWarpath15
07-31-2017, 12:09 PM
I don't care about regular season wins. WRT Andy Reid, everyone agrees that he's good at winning regular season games.

Where everyone disagrees is if that makes him a great coach, if we can reasonably expect Andy Reid to ever get over the hump at this point, or if we should be asking for more than just playoff appearances.

I'm with you here, and I think you know that. I'll be curious to see how he's perceived in a few years with better QB play.

DaneMcCloud
07-31-2017, 12:10 PM
If you want to turn it into something else, take it up with someone else.

I wasn't, I was just describing the Raiders.

My apologies if you felt my comments were directed towards you.

Red Dawg
07-31-2017, 12:10 PM
We still have Smith starting and the schedule is brutal. Until he proves otherwise that he can score with his arm we haven't gotten better.

OnTheWarpath15
07-31-2017, 12:11 PM
I don't think there is any question that the Chiefs were the better team last year, and I also don't think there is any question the Raiders would have won the division if not for Carr breaking his leg.

Why would the better team not win the division last year?

Look at the Tampa and Tennessee games.

Agree 100%

staylor26
07-31-2017, 12:12 PM
Deflection.

You want to call him a coward? Fine.

But you were the biggest coward in this site's history last year.

Own up to it.

The Chiefs finished the season strong. If that's why I left, there were plenty of reasons to come back after the following 11 weeks.

I was gone because I was busy as fuck after the Hurricane and losing some employees. Your conspiracy theory on why I left is fucking retarded.

OnTheWarpath15
I wasn't, I was just describing the Raiders.

My apologies if you felt my comments were directed towards you.

Fair enough, brother. I agree that we were the better TEAM last year.

Doesn't change my opinion that Oakland wins the division if they don't lose Carr for W17.

Eleazar
Even with DJ the Chiefs had the 6th youngest roster at the end of last season. They aren't getting old by any stretch.

I was talking more about key contributors, every down, like Houston, Hali, DJ, Berry, etc., not the average age of a player on the roster.

If you're not getting better, you're just getting older. We saw Poe exit, Houston hasn't been effective in a couple of years, Hali will hang them up soon, and Berry is near 30. Jones may have a knee issue, Ford is a question mark. Looking 2 years down the road, most of our difference makers may be gone.

There are two schools here. One school seems to think this is an otherwise complete team with an inadequate quarterback, and the other sees an above average team with a Super Bowl window that probably closed last year, and which would do well to begin reloading while Mahomes ramps up because this team isn't a serious threat to win anything in 2017. Count me in the second group.

staylor26
07-31-2017, 12:14 PM
Fair enough, brother. I agree that we were the better TEAM last year.

Doesn't change my opinion that Oakland wins the division if they don't lose Carr for W17.

If you're going to play the "what if" game, you need to be consistent.

What if Houston were healthy all of 2016?

That's easily worth more than just one win.

JakeF
This offseason seems to be more about the future than this year. Players could develop faster than expected but even if they do our upside still seems limited this year. Switching GM's could, not will but could, hurt late free agency also. A lot of question marks surrounding this team.

Best22
No guarantee Derek Carr leads Oakland to win at Denver. Carr always struggled up there. The team they faced in the playoffs (Texans) already beat Carr and the Raiders in the regular season. The refs just decided to give the game to the Raiders. It was disgusting to watch and Oakland didn't deserve the division anyway with that GIFTED "win". shoulda been 11-5

Chiefs were better last year and were the deserved division winners. 2017 is another chapter. In the end all that matters between Chiefs and Raiders is who advances farther in the postseason, division winner or not. Last few years it has been KC.

Rasputin
I tend to agree, but we're going to need some guys to step up at WR, and in a hurry.

That, or Andy is going to have to actually commit to the run for once.

Tyreek Hill Wr problem solved

Andy Reid is as stuborn as they come to commiting to the run game and why he likes Mahomes so much. He has a boner for the pass game. I think he overestimated what Alex Smith could do for him but he still keeps wanting Alex to let lose and fling it it's just not in him. If you mean commit to the screen play yes they will do that.

DaneMcCloud
07-31-2017, 12:15 PM
The Chiefs aren't built around Alex Smith, plain and simple.

Had Hali, Houston and Maclin been healthy in NE, along with West & Ware, the Chiefs would have had a much better chance to beat the Patriots. Sadly, they did not.

Had Hali, Houston, Maclin, Ware, West and DJ been healthy against the Steelers, the Chiefs would have had a much better chance of beating the Steelers at home. Sadly, they did not.

This team isn't going to win in the playoffs due to an "improved" or "better" Alex Smith.

It's going to win in the playoffs because they don't have injuries to their highest paid players and key positions, such as running back, wide receiver and pass rusher.

Best22
07-31-2017, 12:16 PM
I was talking more about key contributors, every down, like Houston, Hali, DJ, Berry, etc., not the average age of a player on the roster.

If you're not getting better, you're just getting older. We saw Poe exit, Houston hasn't been effective in a couple of years, Hali will hang them up soon, and Berry is near 30. Jones may have a knee issue, Ford is a question mark. Looking 2 years down the road, most of our difference makers may be gone.

There are two schools here. One school seems to think this is an otherwise complete team with an inadequate quarterback, and the other sees an above average team with a Super Bowl window that probably closed last year, and which would do well to begin reloading while Mahomes ramps up because this team isn't a serious threat to win anything in 2017. Count me in the second group.

Since when has Hali been an every down "contributor"? Ravens won a Super Bowl with a 100 year old safety. Berry should be good for the rest of his contract

OnTheWarpath15
07-31-2017, 12:16 PM
If you're going to play the "what if" game, you need to be consistent.

What if Houston were healthy all of 2016?

That's easily worth more than just one win.

You have to be a all-time fucking dolt to compare an OLB to a franchise QB.

ROFL

Jesus, even Tiger Uppercut isn't this stupid.

Eleazar
07-31-2017, 12:17 PM
I'm with you here, and I think you know that. I'll be curious to see how he's perceived in a few years with better QB play.

If he ever does get back to the Super Bowl, then I'll cheerfully eat every predictive word I've posted about the Andy Reid era being an upmarket version of the Marty era. But I don't think I am wrong.

As far as QB play goes, that's Reid's responsibility now. Of course, it already was, because he hand-picked Alex Smith and then couldn't get more out of him than he was before. But now he's spent a high draft pick on another QB, and it's up to Reid to develop him.

If Mahomes doesn't work out, it doesn't save Reid's legacy vis-a-vis "he never had good QB play in KC". It will be "Why did the QB whisperer miss on both his QBs".

RunKC
07-31-2017, 12:18 PM

Am I in the minority here thinking that the Raiders would have lost in the finale in Denver even if Carr was healthy? Denver sending Kubiak off to retirement, revenge for the embarrassment in Oakland,etc.
No way to know for sure, but it seems very realistic.

I think that in the end we have a top 5 caliber coach (regular season coach if you must) that has coached circles around the division as we've won 11 in a row.

I think we've got a huge advantage over 2 brand new coaches and Del Rio, who has been subsequently embarrassed every time he's faced Andy as Oakland's HC.

staylor26
07-31-2017, 12:19 PM
You have to be a all-time ****ing dolt to compare an OLB to a franchise QB.

ROFL

Jesus, even Tiger Uppercut isn't this stupid.

I'm not comparing the two.

You're just missing the point.

They lost Carr for one game. That's it.

We lost Houston for several and he was never fully healthy when he did play. I'd say that about even things out.

OnTheWarpath15
07-31-2017, 12:19 PM
If he ever does get back to the Super Bowl, then I'll cheerfully eat every predictive word I've posted about the Andy Reid era being an upmarket version of the Marty era. But I don't think I am wrong.

As far as QB play goes, that's Reid's responsibility now. Of course, it already was, because he hand-picked Alex Smith and then couldn't get more out of him than he was before. But now he's spent a high draft pick on another QB, and it's up to Reid to develop him.

If Mahomes doesn't work out, it doesn't save Reid's legacy vis-a-vis "he never had good QB play in KC". It will be "Why did the QB whisperer miss on both his QBs".

Another good post. I agree.

DaneMcCloud
07-31-2017, 12:20 PM

Yeah, there's no doubt, due to tiebreakers, although it would be strange if the team that went 6-0 in the division and finished 12-4 wasn't the division leader.

That's an odd loophole, IMO, regardless of whether it was the Chiefs or another team.

BlackOp
07-31-2017, 12:20 PM

Raiders played a 7-9, 3rd place schedule last season....all things arent equal.

staylor26
07-31-2017, 12:22 PM
Yeah, there's no doubt, due to tiebreakers, although it would be strange if the team that went 6-0 in the division and finished 12-4 wasn't the division leader.

That's an odd loophole, IMO, regardless of whether it was the Chiefs or another team.

Dane, you honestly believe that Carr gets an automatic W in Denver?

Coogs
07-31-2017, 12:24 PM
Raiders played a 7-9, 3rd place schedule last season....all things arent equal.

They really are about as equal as you can get though. Every team in the NFL plays four 1st place teams, four 2nd place teams, four 3rd place teams, and four 4th place teams. 2 at home, and 2 on the road in each set.

BlackOp
07-31-2017, 12:24 PM

I dont...Carr has averaged like 168 yards the last two times against the Donks. He's been worse against them than KC...but not by much.

DaneMcCloud
07-31-2017, 12:25 PM

Automatic? No, but it would have been far more likely.

It's really kind of silly because the Raiders lost.

It also shows the Raiders reliance on Carr. If he's lost for any significant time this season, they're out of the playoff hunt and the divisional race.

It's really not a smart way to build a team but it's the "Green Bay Way".

OnTheWarpath15
07-31-2017, 12:28 PM
I'm not comparing the two.

You're just missing the point.

They lost Carr for one game. That's it.

We lost Houston for several and he was never fully healthy when he did play. I'd say that about even things out.

I'd say you're an idiot.

Justin Houston has nothing to do with my comment that the Raiders would have won the division had Carr played W17.

The impact of a QB vs. an OLB isn't in the same ballpark. Hell, it's not even playing the same sport, it's so out there.

I'm sorry that you get assrash when someone can objectively look at other teams and make claims that most rational people would agree with. It's kinda embarrassing that someone else believing that the Raiders would have won the division is such a persona offront to you.

JakeF
07-31-2017, 12:30 PM
It's going to be interesting to see what Alex Smith does in his final year in KC, maybe his final year in the NFL. Will he finally let loose? Explode or implode?

staylor26
07-31-2017, 12:30 PM
I'd say you're an idiot.

Justin Houston has nothing to do with my comment that the Raiders would have won the division had Carr played W17.

The impact of a QB vs. an OLB isn't in the same ballpark. Hell, it's not even playing the same sport, it's so out there.

I'm sorry that you get assrash when someone can objectively look at other teams and make claims that most rational people would agree with. It's kinda embarrassing that someone else believing that the Raiders would have won the division is such a persona offront to you.

It has everyting to do with it because there's no way you can tell me that the Chiefs wouldn't have won at least one more game withy a healthy Houston all year.

It might not be on the same level as QB, but an elite pass rusher is the closest thing and ours was gone for 8 games and never fully healthy for the other 8.

You're playing the "what if" game and I'm giving you one from our side.

With a healthy Houston for all of 2016 and Carr for week 17, do the Chiefs not still win the division?

If you can give Carr the automatic W for week 17, you should certainly be able to agree that a healthy Houston is worth at least one more win.

But you won't because you're an arrogant pessimistic fuck.

BlackOp
07-31-2017, 12:31 PM
They really are about as equal as you can get though. Every team in the NFL plays four 1st place teams, four 2nd place teams, four 3rd place teams, and four 4th place teams. 2 at home, and 2 on the road in each set.

KC lost to the Steelers...Oakland beat the Ravens (on a questionable non-call).

Coogs
07-31-2017, 12:33 PM
KC lost to the Steelers...Oakland beat the Ravens (on a questionable non-call).
Everyone still plays 4 from each group though. No matter how you slice it.

BlackOp
07-31-2017, 12:36 PM

Steelers went the AFCC, Ravens missed the play-offs. You cant tell me these two teams are an equal opponent.

I will reiterate that the Raiders have only beaten two play-off bound teams in two seasons...both with Brock at QB. They are a hyped-out team with no real pelts on the wall.

When they beat a top team with great coaching...I will give them their due.

The pundits projecting them in the AFCC game is absurd and baseless.

OnTheWarpath15
07-31-2017, 12:38 PM
It has everyting to do with it because there's no way you can tell me that the Chiefs wouldn't have won at least one more game withy a healthy Houston all year.

It might not be on the same level as QB, but an elite pass rusher is the closest thing and ours was gone for 8 games and never fully healthy for the other 8.

You're playing the "what if" game and I'm giving you one from our side.

With a healthy Houston for all of 2016 and Carr for week 17, do the Chiefs not still win the division?

If you can give Carr the automatic W for week 17, you should certainly be able to agree that a healthy Houston is worth at least one more win.

But you won't because you're an arrogant pessimistic fuck.

You stupid jackass. LMAO

I've said several times in THIS thread alone that they'll probably win 10-11 games this year.

You would have known that, had you not gone Full Retard from the second it was suggested that an injury to a franchise QB in the last week of the season might have had an affect on the standings.

Argue the posts, not the poster.

But since you can't argue the posts, I guess keep making an ass of yourself and trying to turn my argument into something it's not.

In a few more posts, you'll have the Chiefs going 16-0.

RunKC
07-31-2017, 12:38 PM
Man the Raiders schedule looks awful.

First 4 games: @ TEN, NYJ, @WAS, @DEN.
Then they travel back-to-back weeks to the East coast.
Last 7 games: NE, DEN, NYG, @KC, DAL, @PHI and @LA

That is brutal

staylor26
07-31-2017, 12:40 PM
You stupid jackass. LMAO

I've said several times in THIS thread alone that they'll probably win 10-11 games this year.

You would have known that, had you not gone Full Retard from the second it was suggested that an injury to a franchise QB in the last week of the season might have had an affect on the standings.

Argue the posts, not the poster.

But since you can't argue the posts, I guess keep making an ass of yourself and trying to turn my argument into something it's not.

In a few more posts, you'll have the Chiefs going 16-0.

You're still not answering my question

And no, I actually don't see the Chiefs winning more than 11. I'm not the homer some of you morons think I am.

OnTheWarpath15
07-31-2017, 12:42 PM

Just quit responding to them. I am.

I don't understand why it pains them THIS much, but they won't quit. They'll just continue to derail the thread.

Hopefully Dane and Cochise stick around the thread and we can keep it going.

OnTheWarpath15
07-31-2017, 12:49 PM
Man the Raiders schedule looks awful.

First 4 games: @ TEN, NYJ, @WAS, @DEN.
Then they travel back-to-back weeks to the East coast.
Last 7 games: NE, DEN, NYG, @KC, DAL, @PHI and @LA

That is brutal

Really not any different than ours. Same schedule except they get BAL/TEN and we get PITT/HOU.

And if I'm them, I'd prefer the back to back east coast games. They'll stay out there for the entire two weeks I'd guess. Better than traveling east in say W7 and again in W9. Get it over with.

O.city
07-31-2017, 12:50 PM
Still so early to look at schedule strength

No clue who will really be that good or back up

Al Bundy
07-31-2017, 12:53 PM

There really are only 3 teams you know are going to be shitstains, The Rams, the Jets and the 49ers, because those 3 have worst QB situation's in the league. The 49ers and the Jets have dogshit rosters as well.

tk13
07-31-2017, 12:53 PM

Yep. Much better to look at things like back to backs, short weeks due to Thursday games, cold weather games in December, etc.

Coogs
07-31-2017, 12:54 PM
Steelers went the AFCC, Ravens missed the play-offs. You cant tell me these two teams are an equal opponent.

I will reiterate that the Raiders have only beaten two play-off bound teams in two seasons...both with Brock at QB. They are a hyped-out team with no real pelts on the wall.

When they beat a top team with great coaching...I will give them their due.

The pundits projecting them in the AFCC game is absurd and baseless.

Still 4 from each group. Here is this years:

Chiefs
1st place teams: NE, Pitt, Houston, Dallas
2nd place teams: Dolphins, G-men, Raiders, Raiders
3rd place teams: Bills, Redskins, Broncos, Broncos
4th place teams: Jets, Eagles, Chargers, Chargers

Raiders:
1st place teams: NE, Dallas, KC, KC
2nd place teams: Dolphins, G-men, Ravens, Titans
3rd place teams: Bills, Redskins, Broncos, Broncos
4th place teams: Jets, Eagles, Chargers, Chargers

Broncos:
1st: NE, Dallas, KC, KC
2nd: Dolphins, G-men, Oakland, Oakland
3rd: Bills, Redskins, Bengals, Colts
4th: Jets, Eagles, Chargers, Chargers

Chargers:
1st: NE, Dallas, KC, KC
2nd: Dolphins, G-men, Oakland, Oakland
3rd: Bills, Redskins, Broncos, Broncos
4th: Jets, Eagles, Browns, Jags

4 from each group.

OnTheWarpath15
07-31-2017, 12:55 PM

Yep. Much better to look at things like back to backs, short weeks due to Thursday games, cold weather games in December, etc.

These.

And even then, things will change on a week to week with injuries, weather, suspensions, etc.

What year was it when we faced like 6 backup QB's? Couldn't have predicted that.

Coogs
Just quit responding to them. I am.

I don't understand why it pains them THIS much, but they won't quit. They'll just continue to derail the thread.

Hopefully Dane and Cochise stick around the thread and we can keep it going.

Will do!

DaneMcCloud

At this point in time, the Chiefs schedule is the most favorable that I can ever recall.

Outside of New England, the Cowboys and possibly the Giants on the road, their non-divisional schedule sets up nicely, with Pittsburgh, Buffalo and Miami at home.

Houston doesn't have a QB, the Jets will challenge for 0-16 and the Eagles and Redskins are both home games.

Also, going against two first time head coaches and the absence of Wade Phillips in the division should be a bonus for the Chiefs team, which is 11-1 in the division since the 2015 season.

Best22
07-31-2017, 01:08 PM
The Raiders went 12*-4. That 12 needed an asterisk. Texans game was brutal officiating.

BlackOp
07-31-2017, 01:13 PM
Raiders are going to have to prove it this year...against good teams.

Last seasons 10 non-divisional team record 77-83, this year 92-68.

I dont think they have the defense or coaching to do it...

carcosa
07-31-2017, 01:23 PM

I agree with this. I think this team still has the talent to at least make the playoffs in 2017, but that's not really a high expectation anymore. What I'm really looking forward to is the day Mahomes takes over.

Titty Meat
07-31-2017, 01:41 PM
Which Divisional teams improved?

Which non-divisional teams, outside of the Patriots improved?

I'll be curious as to your answers.

Chargers maybe a little bit. Outside the division besides the Pats I'd say the Titans.

cmdrzman
07-31-2017, 01:41 PM
No guarantee Derek Carr leads Oakland to win at Denver. Carr always struggled up there. The team they faced in the playoffs (Texans) already beat Carr and the Raiders in the regular season. The refs just decided to give the game to the Raiders. It was disgusting to watch and Oakland didn't deserve the division anyway with that GIFTED "win". shoulda been 11-5

Chiefs were better last year and were the deserved division winners. 2017 is another chapter. In the end all that matters between Chiefs and Raiders is who advances farther in the postseason, division winner or not. Last few years it has been KC.

Fake News

Rasputin
07-31-2017, 01:45 PM
These.

And even then, things will change on a week to week with injuries, weather, suspensions, etc.

What year was it when we faced like 6 backup QB's? Couldn't have predicted that.

(2015) I think it was a pivotal game at the time when we were like 1-5 and Steelers came to town but they had backup Landry Jones starting QB so the rapist was out that game. We then had a string of wins that propelled us into the playoffs but we lucked out by not playing any good quarterbacks even in the playoff vs Brian Hoyer.

The thing that pissed me off is that the one game I could go to half the crowd was Steelers fans so it didn't even feel like a home game but it did make me happy that 30 thousand bumble bee fans went home crying.

BlackOp
07-31-2017, 01:51 PM
(2015) I think it was a pivotal game at the time when we were like 1-5 and Steelers came to town but they had backup Landry Jones starting QB so the rapist was out that game. We then had a string of wins that propelled us into the playoffs but we lucked out by not playing any good quarterbacks even in the playoff vs Brian Hoyer.

The thing that pissed me off is that the one game I could go to half the crowd was Steelers fans so it didn't even feel like a home game but it did make me happy that 30 thousand bumble bee fans went home crying.

No, it was Reid/Smith's first season..2013. Everyone was discounting the 11-5 turn around because they played a lot of teams w/o their starting QB.

Rasputin
07-31-2017, 01:54 PM
No, it was Reid/Smith's first season..2013. Everyone was discounting the 11-5 turn around because they played a lot of teams w/o their starting QB.

Nah I'm pretty sure it was the 2015 season because we were 1-5 and I took my kids to a game v Steelers in Kansas City then the Chiefs went on to win 11 games including beating the Texans.

LoneWolf
07-31-2017, 02:00 PM

Are you ever right about anything?

Rasputin
07-31-2017, 02:00 PM

Actually funny and you are right but so am I :D Chiefs started out 2013 9-0 but then lost 5 out of the next 7 so they were 11-5

Not much to say about quarterbacks

2015 they started out 1-5 and finished the season 11-5

BlackOp
07-31-2017, 02:03 PM
Are you ever right about anything?

KC didn't play 6 back-up QBs in 2015...it was 2013.

So you should be asking yourself that question...

Eleazar
07-31-2017, 02:11 PM

Those things, easy schedules, playing injury-riddled teams, or living off turnovers and miracles - those are not predictive of how things will play out in the postseason.

The postseason doesn't seem to change much, year to year.

You will have to be able to win games where the other team has 0 turnovers.

You will have to win games where you score only offensive touchdowns.

You will have to be able to win games where the other team game plans, and succeeds, at taking away your bread and butter on offense.

Your defense will have to play a great game every week against a top offense. It will have to consistently generate a pass rush that rattles a great QB.

You'll have to do all this against several of the league's best teams in a row, and more than likely on the road. There's only one home-field advantage.

There's nowhere to hide in the postseason.

If you pile up 12 wins, you might be great or you might have had a great year.

If you lose at home in your first playoff game to a team that doesn't score a touchdown, then you know which one it was.

DaneMcCloud
07-31-2017, 02:18 PM
Chargers maybe a little bit. Outside the division besides the Pats I'd say the Titans.

I'd agree that the Titan may have added to their core, which is shaping up to be pretty damn good, but Mike Mularkey's stint as a head coach is at a .370 clip.

The Chargers have a new head coach, who at this time last year, was the running backs coach in Buffalo. They're dealing with the move from San Diego to Costa Mesa/Carson, Philip Rivers refusing to move to Los Angeles and will commute 75 miles each way (about 5 hours round trip in LA traffic) and their first round wide receiver is likely to miss the season.

They signed Russell Okung (why?) and have two rookie guards. Playing in a 30,000 seat stadium, in which more than half the fans will be opposing the Chargers, probably isn't a good sign from them either.

They feel like a 5-11 team, once again.

DaneMcCloud
07-31-2017, 02:20 PM
If you lose at home in your first playoff game to a team that doesn't score a touchdown, then you know which one it was.

You'd have a point, if everyone was healthy, but they weren't.

Alex Smith isn't going to win games in the playoffs without massive contributions from his skill position players and the running back position, neither of which he received.

If this team is relatively healthy heading into the playoff (e.g., Kelce, Ware, Hunt, Hill, Houson, Ford, Berry, DJ, Jones and Logan), they're going to be a tough out, even for New England.

Rasputin
07-31-2017, 02:29 PM
You'd have a point, if everyone was healthy, but they weren't.

Alex Smith isn't going to win games in the playoffs without massive contributions from his skill position players and the running back position, neither of which he received.

If this team is relatively healthy heading into the playoff (e.g., Kelce, Ware, Hunt, Hill, Houson, Ford, Berry, DJ, Jones and Logan), they're going to be a tough out, even for New England.

How do Patriots keep winning it all? They've had player suspensions murderers injuries and they just plug away the next guy up. I mean they've had sanctions losing draft picks for cheating and they just keep winning.

OnTheWarpath15
07-31-2017, 02:31 PM
How do Patriots keep winning it all? They've had player suspensions murderers injuries and they just plug away the next guy up. I mean they've had sanctions losing draft picks for cheating and they just keep winning.

The year the Packers won the SB, they had like 17 guys on IR.

DaneMcCloud
07-31-2017, 02:54 PM

A Hall of Fame bound QB covers a lot of these issues.

DaneMcCloud
07-31-2017, 02:54 PM
The year the Packers won the SB, they had like 17 guys on IR.

A Hall of Fame bound QB covers a lot of these issues.

:D

O.city
07-31-2017, 02:56 PM
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/20199657/nfl-teams-likely-improve-decline-2017-season-bill-barnwell-pythagorean-expectation

Pretty good write up about last years Raiders

Eleazar
07-31-2017, 03:00 PM

Another item that should have been on my list. You have to win even if a key player is injured, and one of them will be.

saphojunkie
07-31-2017, 03:01 PM
You're counting on rookies and players improving to say the team is better.

So is every other team in the NFL. Every homer in every NFL city is saying the same thing.

Fair point. But I would just add not every NFL team has our recent track record of drafting great players as well as great coaches developing them. There is certainly more reason for optimism in KC than most places.

DaneMcCloud
07-31-2017, 03:02 PM
Another item that should have been on my list. You have to win even if a key player is injured, and one of them will be.

Yeah, just go ahead and ignore their HOF QB, you fucking trolling dipshit.

How many playoff appearances have the Patriots had since 2000?

Who were those QB's that missed the playoffs?

Reerun_KC
07-31-2017, 03:14 PM
Down year? Because Chiefs?

FlaChief58
07-31-2017, 03:17 PM
Not a fan of cutting Maclin, I think he would have bounced back this year. The Dorsey move still has me pissed off. Other than that, I still think we're on track for another 1 and done playoff run. Yay us...

BlackOp
07-31-2017, 03:21 PM
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/20199657/nfl-teams-likely-improve-decline-2017-season-bill-barnwell-pythagorean-expectation

Pretty good write up about last years Raiders

Wow...a realistic article from ESPN? This writer probably just got himself fired...

"The arrival of Marshawn Lynch might help the Raiders grind out the clock in the fourth quarter, but the perfectly timed offensive pass interference penalties and failed field goal holds won't stick around."

Rasputin
07-31-2017, 03:25 PM

That's why I get tired of the Alexcuses

Eleazar
07-31-2017, 03:35 PM

Thinking more about injuries to key players re: the Patriots -

Gronk went down at midseason last year, and they still won the Super Bowl. He went down at midseason in 2013? 2014? And they still went to the AFC Championship. He's a monster and their best weapon when he's healthy, but when he goes down, they still win.

You need to be able to win when things go off-script, like when your defense can't stop Le'Veon Bell from running for almost 6 yards a carry,and you simultaneously can't get Ware past 35 yards for the game.

You can't go into the playoffs with just one formula that works against average teams, like several turnovers + a defensive/special teams score + few/no mistakes on offense = winning a close game.

DaneMcCloud
07-31-2017, 03:40 PM

Gronk went down at midseason last year, and they still won the Super Bowl. He went down at midseason in 2013? 2014? And they still went to the AFC Championship. He's a monster and their best weapon when he's healthy, but when he goes down, they still win.

You need to be able to win when things go off-script, like when your defense can't stop Le'Veon Bell from running for almost 6 yards a carry,and you simultaneously can't get Ware past 35 yards for the game.

You can't go into the playoffs with just one formula that works against average teams, like several turnovers + a defensive/special teams score + few/no mistakes on offense = winning a close game.

Hall of Fame QB, Troll

PAChiefsGuy
07-31-2017, 03:44 PM

You can win a SB with an average offense and dominant defense. Broncos did it not too long ago. When the Seahawks won their SB it was pretty much the same thing. Their offense wasn't that good.

Nothing wrong with winning with defense. That's where most of our talent is. Our D needs to step it up this year.

You sit here and say act like it is OK Bell ran all over us. It isn't. We'll never win a SB with the run D we had last year. Pats would have run all over us and used play action to destroy our D. That Pitt loss saved our D from what would have been an embarrassment.

OnTheWarpath15
07-31-2017, 03:56 PM

Hall of Fame QB, Troll

Not sure exactly how he's trolling. He's right.

That one formula will likely win you a lot of regular season games - but it's pretty obvious that it won't work in the playoffs - unless you're fortunate enough to be facing a Brian Hoyer-led team.

Rasputin
07-31-2017, 03:59 PM
You can win a SB with an average offense and dominant defense. Broncos did it not too long ago. When the Seahawks won their SB it was pretty much the same thing. Their offense wasn't that good.

Nothing wrong with winning with defense. That's where most of our talent is. Our D needs to step it up this year.

You sit here and say act like it is OK Bell ran all over us. It isn't. We'll never win a SB with the run D we had last year. Pats would have run all over us and used play action to destroy our D. That Pitt loss saved our D from what would have been an embarrassment.

That's why our God Damned quarterback needs to step it up. An offense like Pats can shred any good defense apart and score points at will if you can't go blow to blow with them your gonna lose.

Rasputin
07-31-2017, 04:01 PM
Hall of Fame QB, Troll

I think you are discounting the coach. I've read where he plays guys at the bottom of 53 man roster to give them experience during the season so when a guy goes down they are ready to go in the playoffs. He is a situation coach and prepares for the worst case scenarios.

OnTheWarpath15
07-31-2017, 04:05 PM
1.) That Seattle team scored 26 points a game.

2.) Our D needs to step it up...that D kept Pittsburgh out of the end zone and a full SEVEN points below their season average.

How about instead of expecting the defense to play like the 2000 Ravens or 1985 Bears, we hold the offense accountable and expect them to carry their own weight?

We lost 4 games last year where the defense gave up 19 or fewer points.

But the DEFENSE needs to step up?

Get. The. Fuck. Out.

DaneMcCloud
07-31-2017, 04:42 PM
Not sure exactly how he's trolling. He's right.

That one formula will likely win you a lot of regular season games - but it's pretty obvious that it won't work in the playoffs - unless you're fortunate enough to be facing a Brian Hoyer-led team.

He's trolling because he's using Tom Brady and the Patriots as an example. A HOF QB covers up a shit ton of team deficiencies, including injuries. Your post about the Packers, with 17 guys on IR that year, also proves that point. If they didn't have Rodgers, they wouldn't have been in the Super Bowl.

The Chiefs have entered the playoffs the past two seasons without their highest paid players healthy (Houston, Maclin, etc and so on), so the results are unsurprising. How many wins do the Raiders get without Carr and Mack?

Four?

RunKC
07-31-2017, 04:47 PM

2.) Our D needs to step it up...that D kept Pittsburgh out of the end zone and a full SEVEN points below their season average.

How about instead of expecting the defense to play like the 2000 Ravens or 1985 Bears, we hold the offense accountable and expect them to carry their own weight?

Get. The. ****. Out.

Its insane that people still refuse to acknowledge the reality of this post.

OnTheWarpath15
Seeing as how 12 of the last 14 SB winners have had a HOF QB...

Coincidence?

Hammock Parties

Alex Smith is 19-22 when the Chiefs throw the ball more than they run it. This includes an 0-3 mark in the playoffs.

In those 41 games, the Chiefs offense has averaged 19 points per game and Smith has thrown 1.22 TD per game.

DaneMcCloud
07-31-2017, 04:48 PM

Coincidence?

Nope. In today's NFL, having a HOF bound QB is about the only way to win a Super Bowl.

Hopefully, Mahomes can join them someday.

Eleazar
07-31-2017, 04:56 PM

Get. The. ****. Out.

Yes - and all accountability for the offense falls squarely on Andy Reid's shoulders.

The Chiefs did a really remarkable thing last year by winning 12 games with an offense that was 20th in yards and a defense that was 24th in yards. They and Reid should be credited for that. If there's ever been a 12-4 team with a bottom third offense and defense, I'm not sure who that would be. (I guess you'd have to be 22nd to be bottom-third of the league, but whatever.)

And even crazier, you can change two things and make the 2016 Chiefs 14-2 (and I believe) with home-field advantage:

-If Andy Reid doesn't give Tennessee a practice kick that they turn into a game-winning field goal
-If Andy Reid doesn't call that blind throw at the goal line against Tampa that depends on the safety biting on the playaction

One of the remarkable things about the NFL is that the regular season can be flukey as can be, but the postseason is so regular and uniform in what it demands of teams. That is to say, balance, good coaching and game planning, clock management, being able to win when you're taken out of your game, etc.

RunKC
07-31-2017, 05:01 PM
Alex Smith is 19-22 when the Chiefs throw the ball more than they run it. This includes an 0-3 mark in the playoffs.

In those 41 games, the Chiefs offense has averaged 19 points per game and Smith has thrown 1.22 TD per game.

Yeah I think Andy deserves a fair share of this blame too.

OnTheWarpath15
07-31-2017, 05:09 PM
Its insane that people still refuse to acknowledge the reality of this post.

:thumb:

stevieray
07-31-2017, 05:11 PM
Nope. In today's NFL, having a HOF bound QB is about the only way to win a Super Bowl.

Great job, Rog.

:rolleyes:

Eleazar
07-31-2017, 05:12 PM

I am certainly not an Andy and Alex apologist, but this is too much of a compound measurement to be helpful.

In the Colts game Alex probably played his best as a pro, and yet you use that game to try to say that he hurt the team, because 0-3.

Throwing more than you run for most teams naturally means they are probably behind. This is an effect, not a cause. In the games where he's playing well we probably have a lead and throw less often.

You know, whatever. This is too stupid to even waste time shredding.

TigeRRUppeRRcut
07-31-2017, 05:18 PM
Our defense is showing a lot of promise and the offense looks to get back to 2015/16 form.

This roster is sexy.

Easy 6
07-31-2017, 05:21 PM
I'm not down on this season at all, there is a LOT to look forward to

Expecting a Super Bowl victory?

Although its within the outer realms of possiblity, no

But that doesnt mean there isnt plenty to be excited about, this young group has a krazy amount of potential and I cant wait to see them progress together

cmdrzman
07-31-2017, 05:41 PM
Oaklands gonna be tough to beat this year- They'll win the AFC West- I have them getting a bye and making it to the AFC Championship game-

jjchieffan
07-31-2017, 07:44 PM
Oaklands gonna be tough to beat this year- They'll win the AFC West- I have them getting a bye and making it to the AFC Championship game-

Can I get some of what you're smoking? Because it must be some pretty good shit.

BlackOp
07-31-2017, 07:54 PM

Based on what..hype? Paying Carr $25 million? Did they hire a new DC? A new HC?...oh, that's right..Mr. Skittles is going to save them.

If Cooper gets hurt, your season is over. If Penn gets hurt..over. Carr..well that's obvious.

They dont have the team depth or defense to be championship caliber...nor the coaches. You have the refs..I'll give you that.

They going to have to do something they've never done...beat non-Osweiler led play-off caliber teams. They have 6 games against them this year. They were 0-3 in that category last season...and 0-6 the season before.

Simply Red
07-31-2017, 08:08 PM
I'm down WITH the Chiefs!

KChiefs1
07-31-2017, 08:19 PM
I dont...Carr has averaged like 168 yards the last two times against the Donks. He's been worse against them than KC...but not by much.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170801/1380043f96b641a1952b4b8eb74be2bc.png

BlackOp
07-31-2017, 08:21 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170801/1380043f96b641a1952b4b8eb74be2bc.png

I was going by yards per game...not passer rating. Damn...KC makes him their bitch though...

PAChiefsGuy
07-31-2017, 08:25 PM

Coincidence?

P Manning was garbage when Denver won the SB. Just because he is going to the HOF doesn't mean he was playing like one that particular season.

Joe Flacco isn't that good. Same with Eli. They got hot at the right time. That's all.

Russell Wilson was good but nothing special when Seahawks won their SB. He was 9/18, threw for 103 yds 0 TDs when Seahawks beat the Saints in a playoff game that year.

Football is a team game. Defense is just as important as offense if not more so.

QB is obviously most important position but you don't have to some unbelievable QB to win the SB. That's a myth. You can win with a great defense and a decent QB. It's been done plenty of times.

RunKC
07-31-2017, 08:33 PM
P Manning was garbage when Denver won the SB. Just because he is going to the HOF doesn't mean he was playing like one that particular season.

Joe Flacco isn't that good. Same with Eli. They got hot at the right time. That's all.

Russell Wilson was good but nothing special when Seahawks won their SB. He was 9/18, threw for 103 yds 0 TDs when Seahawks beat the Saints in a playoff game that year.

Football is a team game. Defense is just as important as offense if not more so.

QB is obviously most important position but you don't have to some unbelievable QB to win the SB. That's a myth. You can win with a great defense and a decent QB. It's been done plenty of times.

The Chiefs don't have an all time great defense like those teams.

Reerun_KC
07-31-2017, 08:58 PM
Make it easy for people to understand.... Can't be down when you don't have any expectations for the team.

Until 2018 it's same as it ever was.

NWTF
07-31-2017, 10:03 PM
Make it easy for people to understand.... Can't be down when you don't have any expectations for the team.

Solid overall team
One of AFC 6 best
playoff appearance
early exit

I expect playoff appearance, but nothing beyond that.

cmdrzman
07-31-2017, 10:09 PM
I was going by yards per game...not passer rating. Damn...KC makes him their bitch though...

Ya see that?

Thats the Lamar Hunt Trophy

Something the Chiefs have never won

http://ww3.hdnux.com/photos/11/37/06/2486674/7/628x471.jpg

Reerun_KC
07-31-2017, 10:12 PM
Ya see that?

http://ww3.hdnux.com/photos/11/37/06/2486674/7/628x471.jpg
Hurtful....

DaneMcCloud
07-31-2017, 10:13 PM

Just like you.

Slovenly, moustasoid, drunken fool.

You talk too much.

Ming the Merciless
07-31-2017, 10:25 PM
We will take a step back this year but.....im ok with that considering we are on a good path for further in the future

BlackOp
07-31-2017, 10:36 PM
Ya see that?

I know you didn't...it happened before you could walk.

Eleazar
07-31-2017, 10:44 PM
Ya see that?

Raider fans- always running their mouth about things that happened at least 10 years ago

jjchieffan
07-31-2017, 10:56 PM
Raider fans- always running their mouth about things that happened at least 10 years ago

Yep. ROFL They just don't get it. If you're team has had one winning season in the last decade, you have no room to talk about Superbowl appearances. 47 years sucks, no doubt. But 15 years is a long time too. At least our team has been in the playoffs and been respectable while the Fade have been cellar dwellers until just last year.

Ming the Merciless
08-01-2017, 12:08 AM
maybe the fact we havent been to a superbowl in almost 50 years i guess

Chiefnj2
08-01-2017, 07:44 AM

At some point in time in the postseason and/or Super Bowl, all of those QB's that you think aren't really that good had to step up and make important throws - and they did. Smith leaves throws on the field and Andy mismanages the clock. Two things that must be addressed to take the next step.

PAChiefsGuy
08-01-2017, 09:14 AM
At some point in time in the postseason and/or Super Bowl, all of those QB's that you think aren't really that good had to step up and make important throws - and they did. Smith leaves throws on the field and Andy mismanages the clock. Two things that must be addressed to take the next step.

Smith made those throws against the Saints in the playoffs and against the Colts. He can do it.

But yeah he will have to do it again at some point. Time will tell. This year is a huge year for him. Hopefully he plays well for us.

Ming the Merciless
08-01-2017, 09:16 AM
Time will tell. This year is a huge year for him.

hahahhahahahahahaha

ROFL

dude has a decade of film...what exactly are you expecting here? You think he hasn't hit his ceiling yet or something?

Eleazar
08-01-2017, 09:19 AM
Smith could do a lot more if Andy would open up the offense up instead of running the sideways offense until we're 2 possessions down, which is his normal game plan. But the league has written the book on Alex Smith long ago. Nothing is going to change this year other than perhaps a modest return to his pre-2016 level of efficiency.

PAChiefsGuy
08-01-2017, 09:50 AM
hahahhahahahahahaha

ROFL

dude has a decade of film...what exactly are you expecting here? You think he hasn't hit his ceiling yet or something?

I'd like him to get his running yds back up and throw a couple more TDs. Play like he did against the Colts and Saints in the playoffs. Nothing drastic and nothing he hasn't done before.

That's all. He does that and our D improves we should be fine.

Say what you want but even with him throwing 15 TDs last yr (and running for 5) we still went 12-4 and were close to the AFC Championship gm. So it's not like the guy needs to become Tom Brady in order for us to take that next step.

DaneMcCloud
08-01-2017, 09:53 AM
I'd like him to get his running yds back up and throw a couple more TDs. Play like he did against the Colts and Saints in the playoffs. Nothing drastic and nothing he hasn't done before.

Smith regressed in 2016.

At age 33, the odds are far greater that he continues to regress rather than making a marked improvement.

The Colts and Saints games are outliers. He hasn't played like that in more than 4 seasons.

MMXcalibur
08-01-2017, 10:00 AM
I'm always down on the Chiefs because Chiefs.

jjchieffan
08-01-2017, 10:00 AM
Smith regressed in 2016.

At age 33, the odds are far greater that he continues to regress rather than making a marked improvement.

The Colts and Saints games are outliers. He hasn't played like that in more than 4 seasons.

He hasn't played like that for an entire game since then, but he has played like that in spots. Like the game 1 comeback against SD. But, yeah. he has disappointed way more than he has impressed lately.

PAChiefsGuy
08-01-2017, 10:04 AM
Smith regressed in 2016.

Well I am hoping he didn't regress, I am hoping it was just a bad year. Our WRs need to stop dropping so many balls too and we really need Conely to get better. Not worried about Hill but besides him unless Conely improves our WRs are pretty damn weak

Regardless, as you pointed out before, this is a defensive team. Fans like to talk about QB QB QB but to me our D getting better is the key for this team succeeding, not Alex Smith.

Reid knows Smith limitations. His job is to manage the game and not make a lot of mistakes and he can do that well.

Pasta Little Brioni
08-01-2017, 10:13 AM
Alex is the only thing that can stop us. Easily a Top 5 talented roster and easily the best in the division.

RunKC
08-01-2017, 10:14 AM
Well I am hoping he didn't regress, I am hoping it was just a bad year. Our WRs need to stop dropping so many balls too and we really need Conely to get better. Not worried about Hill but besides him unless Conely improves our WRs are pretty damn weak

Regardless, as you pointed out before, this is a defensive team. Fans like to talk about QB QB QB but to me our D getting better is the key for this team succeeding, not Alex Smith.

Reid knows Smith limitations. His job is to manage the game and not make a lot of mistakes and he can do that well.

The Chiefs kept an elite offense out of the end zone and Alex missed throws to wide open WR's.

Wake up dude. This team will never win anything with Alex playing the way he did vs the Steelers.

You need your QB to step up in the playoffs.

DaneMcCloud
08-01-2017, 10:14 AM

You're all over the place.

Smith regressed. It wasn't just "a bad year". Outside of the Chargers game (last year's outlier), he wasn't running the ball when lanes were open, he wasn't creating plays on the fly, he was inaccurate and made poor decisions.

While his receivers certainly didn't help him much, he looked tentative and seemed to have no confidence in his arm. The guy was a shell of his 2015 self.

I don't remember stating that this is a "defensive team". What I do remember stating is that this team is not built around Alex Smith. Over the past 4 years, we've seen Chase Daniel and Nick Foles win games in Smith's absence and their stats were pretty much on par with Smith's. If this team has above average skill position players in place, the offense can succeed with Smith's style of play. If they don't (which has happened the past two years heading into the playoffs), the offense stalls.

He didn't do that "well" in 2016.

Rasputin
08-01-2017, 10:16 AM
hahahhahahahahahaha

ROFL

He is a late bloomer

RunKC
08-01-2017, 10:18 AM
I do agree with PAChiefsGuy about Andy though. It was a horrific decision to not run the ball with Ware when he was averaging over 4 YPC and a TD in less than 10 carries.

It was also horrific for Andy to give Tyreek Hill only ONE touch the entire Titans game.

How in the hell do you give the ball to Tyreek, with him score a 50+ yard TD and then not give him another touch, screen, etc the entire game?
God what an awful coaching job by Andy that day

Rasputin
08-01-2017, 10:21 AM
Smith made those throws against the Saints in the playoffs and against the Colts. He can do it.

But yeah he will have to do it again at some point. Time will tell. This year is a huge year for him. Hopefully he plays well for us.

Dude live in the now man. Smith has regressed since then can't you see that?

He may do somewhat better knowing he has his replacement chomping at him to take his job but he is who he is and he isn't going magically be this all time great quarterback you act like he is going be. His ceiling is 20 touchdowns this season. Do you think he can throw more than 20? He has not thrown over 25 touchdowns for his career in a single season.

Reerun_KC
08-01-2017, 10:24 AM

He may do somewhat better knowing he has his replacement chomping at him to take his job but he is who he is and he isn't going magically be this all time great quarterback you act like he is going be. His ceiling is 20 touchdowns this season. Do you think he can throw more than 20? He has not thrown over 25 touchdowns for his career in a single season.

Even NFL Network says the same thing. Smith is who he is it's no secret.

PAChiefsGuy
08-01-2017, 10:27 AM

I disagree that he regressed. I think he had a bad year. Maybe I'm wrong but until this next season plays out we just don't know. Every QB in the league has some years that are better than others. This is a common.

I never said that I think he is going to magically turn into some elite QB. I simply said I hope he plays well for us. We all should hope that as Chief fans. Get his rush yds back up to 500, 22 tds, 5 ints, something that would be great and realistic.

I do agree with PAChiefsGuy about Andy though. It was a horrific decision to not run the ball with Ware when he was averaging over 4 YPC and a TD in less than 10 carries.

It was also horrific for Andy to give Tyreek Hill only ONE touch the entire Titans game.

How in the hell do you give the ball to Tyreek, with him score a 50+ yard TD and then not give him another touch, screen, etc the entire game?
God what an awful coaching job by Andy that day

Yeah I love Reid but he does get too pass happy at times. Clearly our passing gm was not working. We should have ran more. 8 car, 35 yds, 4.4 avg.. Come on Reid, 8 car?!?! Smh....

DaneMcCloud
08-01-2017, 10:30 AM

The only explanation is that he was hurt

Rasputin
08-01-2017, 10:32 AM
I disagree that he regressed. I think he had a bad year. Maybe I'm wrong but until this next season plays out we just don't know. Every QB in the league has some years that are better than others. This is a common.

I never said that I think he is going to magically turn into some elite QB. I simply said I hope he plays well for us. We all should hope that as Chief fans. Get his rush yds back up to 500, 22 tds, 5 ints, something that would be great and realistic.

You also got to accept those hits he took in Indianapolis and his head bouncing off the turf like a basketball may have knocked a lot more out of him than anyone could know. If he gets hit again it could be curtain call for him.

Reerun_KC
08-01-2017, 10:35 AM
You also got to accept those hits he took in Indianapolis and his head bouncing off the turf like a basketball may have knocked a lot more out of him than anyone could know. If he gets hit again it could be curtain call for him.

Those non concussion hits?

PAChiefsGuy
08-01-2017, 10:46 AM
Mitch Holthus‏Verified account
@mitchholthus
Follow
More
Alex Smith 20-11 on road last 4yrs-Tom Brady 21-10-Aaron Rodgers 16-13-Russell Wilson 19-12-1-Big Ben 16-14 @Chiefs @ChiefsReporter @SSJWHB

carcosa
08-01-2017, 10:46 AM
I'm down WITH the Chiefs!

Very nice!!!!!!!

Reerun_KC
08-01-2017, 10:48 AM
Mitch Holthus‏Verified account
@mitchholthus
Follow
More
Alex Smith 20-11 on road last 4yrs-Tom Brady 21-10-Aaron Rodgers 16-13-Russell Wilson 19-12-1-Big Ben 16-14 @Chiefs @ChiefsReporter @SSJWHB

What about playoff record? That is what really counts the most.

Baby Lee
08-01-2017, 10:54 AM

Bullshit. What really counts is 'they tried it my way'

Chiefnj2
08-01-2017, 11:02 AM

DOES NOT CUT IT IN THE POST SEASON.

KC now has a QB with a potential ceiling of much higher than "manage the game and not make mistakes." Play him.

PAChiefsGuy
08-01-2017, 11:05 AM

KC now has a QB with a potential ceiling of much higher than "manage the game and not make mistakes." Play him.

It's not my decision to make buddy. Talk to Reid.

Let me know how it goes. Good luck!!

Reerun_KC
08-01-2017, 11:11 AM
It's not my decision to make buddy. Talk to Reid.

Let me know how it goes. Good luck!!

I would let him know, but we're usually not at the golden corral at 430 in the afternoon...

Baby Lee
08-01-2017, 11:13 AM
I would let him know, but we're usually not at the golden corral at 430 in the afternoon...

At the washeteria laundering your overalls, or next door at the barbers getting your sideburns trimmed? ;)

Reerun_KC
08-01-2017, 11:14 AM
At the washeteria laundering your overalls, or next door at the barbers getting your sideburns trimmed? ;)

Stalker....

LMAO

cmdrzman
08-01-2017, 11:21 AM

But isn't that sorta the whole WCO philosophy?

Reids not gonna trash the WCO just because Mahomes has a cannon -

As long as Andy is coach, you'll see the same dink and dunks from any QB you put under center- Only way the Chiefs will ever utilize Mahomes arm strength is to get a new HC-

RippedmyFlesh
08-01-2017, 11:25 AM

As long as Andy is coach, you'll see the same dink and dunks from any QB you put under center- Only way the Chiefs will ever utilize Mahomes arm strength is to get a new HC-

Bullshit McNabb attacked the whole field. We already have Carr's # wait till Patrick lights you up. The blow outs will be epic.

Eleazar
08-01-2017, 11:28 AM

What really counts the most is how many regular season games he wins. /CP

Reerun_KC
08-01-2017, 11:29 AM
What really counts the most is how many regular season games he wins. /CP

Its not just CP. Most true fans around KC don't care much for olayodf success.

cmdrzman
08-01-2017, 11:39 AM
Bullshit McNabb attacked the whole field. We already have Carr's # wait till Patrick lights you up. The blow outs will be epic.

Bring it-

TEX
08-01-2017, 12:53 PM

ROFL...Only while Smith is his QB.

Simply Red
08-01-2017, 01:34 PM
Very nice!!!!!!!

YES!