PDA

View Full Version : Prayer Request Lost Marines

HemiEd
08-05-2017, 12:47 PM
This one hit pretty close to home this morning, brother in law's nephew is still missing. Prayers appreciated.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2017/08/05/us-marine-aircraft-crashes-off-australia-search-and-rescue-effort-underway.html

Search for 3 missing Marines under way after aircraft crashes off Australia coast

A search and rescue is under way Saturday for 3 Marines missing after an aircraft crashed off the east coast of Australia, military officials said.

A US defense officer told Fox News that 23 of the 26 service members on board an MV-22 Osprey were recovered safely.

ATLANTIC OCEAN (Feb. 15, 2014) Sailors aboard the amphibious transport dock ship USS Mesa Verde (LPD 19) give an MV-22 Osprey flight directions during touch and go training. Sailors assigned to Mesa Verde and Marines assigned to the 22nd Marine Expeditionary Unit (22nd MEU)are deployed as part of the Bataan Ready Group. (U.S. Navy photo by Seaman Phylicia A. Hanson/Released)Expand / Collapse
An MV-22 Osprey aboard the USS Mesa Verde. (U.S. Navy photo by Seaman Phylicia A. Hanson/Released)
Ships, small boats and aircraft from the 31st Marine Expeditionary Unit and Bonhomme Richard Expeditionary Strike Group were conducting the operations following the incident, the Marine base Camp Butler in Japan said in a statement.

The crash is under investigation.

The MV-22, assigned to Marine Medium Tiltrotor was in the area conducting scheduled operations when the aircraft entered the water, the statement continued. The aircraft, in addtion to four crew members, can hold up to 24 Marines when fully-loaded.

Australian Defense Minister Marise Payne said the incident occurred off the coast of Shoalwater Bay in Queensland state.

"I can confirm no Australian Defense Force personnel were on board the aircraft," Payne said. "The United States are leading the search and recovery effort."

Payne said she had spoken with U.S. Defense Secretary Jim Mattis "to offer Australia's support in any way that can be of assistance."

The Osprey aircraft were in Australia for a joint military training exercise held by the U.S. and Australian military last month in Shoalwater Bay. The Talisman Sabre exercise, a biennial event between the two nations, involved more than 30,000 troops and 200 military aircraft.

The crash comes just weeks after a Marine Corps cargo plane spiraled out of the sky and into the Mississippi Delta, killing 15 Marines and a Navy Corpsman.

About 70% of the Marine Corps fighter jets can't fly due to a shortage of spare parts, and reduced flights hours after years of budget cuts, officials say. U.S. military non-combat aviation crashes have totaled 12 in 2017, campared to 8 during the same period in 2016.

Fox News' Lucas Tomlinson and the Associated Press contributed to this report.

Rasputin
08-05-2017, 12:49 PM
:( Prayers

SAUTO
08-05-2017, 12:52 PM
Damn. Prayers on the way

wazu
08-05-2017, 01:14 PM
Ugh, terrible. Prayer sent.

Simply Red
08-05-2017, 01:26 PM
Sorry to read this Ed. Prayers your way Kind sir.

KranzDictum
08-05-2017, 02:03 PM
Sorry man. Will be thinking about him. My nephew is in the Marines as well, he is on a helio so I worry when I hear the words Crash and Marine in the same sentence.

My nephew was out at an air show in Minn a couple weeks ago, my sister and family went out there. My brother-in-law said it was nice to see his son but saddened to see the state of his air craft.

Al Czervik
08-05-2017, 03:08 PM
Prayers for all 3 missing....especially your relations Ed.

HemiEd
08-05-2017, 03:10 PM
Sorry man. Will be thinking about him. My nephew is in the Marines as well, he is on a helio so I worry when I hear the words Crash and Marine in the same sentence.

My nephew was out at an air show in Minn a couple weeks ago, my sister and family went out there. My brother-in-law said it was nice to see his son but saddened to see the state of his air craft.

I hope like heck your nephew has a safe hitch and returns home to his family. I have heard stories like yours about what the budget cuts of the last eight years have done to the state of the aircraft.

This young man that I have been sad about all day was only 21 and I sure hope the accident wasn't due to an aircraft in disrepair.

When I was in, we were often robbing parts from "hanger queens" that would be in for annual inspections, but I have heard stories of them robbing parts from museums recently.

Otter
08-05-2017, 03:14 PM
I'm sorry to hear this HemiED. Prayers sent.</br></br>I've never served in the military and don't know much outside of hearsay but it always seems like Marines take the budget hits and get the 'do more with less' mantra as opposed to the other branches. Keep us posted.

Rain Man
08-05-2017, 04:23 PM
I hope they find them unharmed.

Randallflagg
08-05-2017, 05:12 PM
My God! Sorry to see this....My Brother retired from the Corps (Master Gunny). Unfortunately, the MV-22 has had problem after problem.

For the life of me I don't understand why they don't get rid of those death traps.

Best wishes for your family.

Easy 6
08-05-2017, 05:19 PM
My God! Sorry to see this....My Brother retired from the Corps (Master Gunny). Unfortunately, the MV-22 has had problem after problem.

For the life of me I don't understand why they don't get rid of those death traps.

Best wishes for your family.

He and the other two will definitely be in my prayers, Ed

And you're right about the Osprey BSN, they've had several deadly accidents... the Corp is sacrificing safety for its ability to get in and out of tight places

There has to be something better

Coogs
08-05-2017, 05:24 PM
You know you are in my thoughts Ed.

threebag
08-05-2017, 05:27 PM
Prayers.

HemiEd
08-05-2017, 08:36 PM
Search has been called off. RIP Nathan and the two fellow Marines.

I want to be clear, my goal with this thread was because I believe in the power of prayer, not to elicit sympathy. Thanks to all of you.

CaliforniaChief
08-05-2017, 08:41 PM
Ed I'm so sorry. It's been a really tough month or so for the Marines. I can't imagine what yours and their families are dealing with.

So thankful for our military. I'm praying for you!

scho63
08-05-2017, 09:47 PM

Condolences to you and your family. Prayers for all to heal. :usa:

Reerun_KC
08-05-2017, 09:48 PM
Prayers. As a vet this stuff hits close to home.

Frazod
08-05-2017, 10:10 PM

That sucks. RIP

DanT
08-05-2017, 11:14 PM
Thoughts and prayers for everyone involved.

mdchiefsfan
08-06-2017, 12:24 AM

Gone, but not forgotten. RIP, my service brethren.

My best to you and yours, Ed.

OldSchool
08-06-2017, 01:58 AM
Shit, prayers sent man.

Coyote
08-06-2017, 06:50 AM

I am sorry for your and your family's loss. I know official family notifications were made yesterday. Semper Fi.

Reerun_KC
08-06-2017, 07:03 AM
Truly sorry hemiEd.

Bwana
08-06-2017, 07:23 AM
Wow, really sorry to hear about this Ed.

Buehler445
08-06-2017, 08:30 AM
Goddamn. Sorry Ed. Prayers to the families.

KranzDictum
08-06-2017, 08:01 PM

I wish you and your family peace. Very sad story. My thoughts are with you and all of the family's of the fallen.

Deberg_1990
08-06-2017, 08:36 PM

Very sorry to hear this Ed. Prayers to you and your family

Rasputin
08-06-2017, 08:41 PM

:(

Sorry to hear that Prayers and love sent.

:(

threebag
08-06-2017, 10:31 PM
Prayers to the families and loved ones.

DaneMcCloud
08-06-2017, 11:01 PM
Ed, you have my most sincerest condolences.

May Nathan Rest In Peace.

Godspeed to you and your family.

Coyote
08-07-2017, 06:49 PM
http://latestnewsnetwork.com/one-of-three-marines-killed-after-copter-crash-pictured/

"Please keep the families of those involved in the Osprey mishap near Australia in your thoughts and prayers," Marine Corps Commandant Robert Neller said.

Al Czervik
08-07-2017, 07:09 PM
So sorry to hear this Ed....

Thoughts and Prayers to the families of these three hero's.......

lewdog
08-07-2017, 07:22 PM
Sorry to hear Ed.

The gratitude we provide our servicemen is never enough.

Coyote
08-08-2017, 06:37 AM
https://twitter.com/usmc/status/894718357194276864

Rausch
08-08-2017, 06:45 AM
Done...

raybec 4
08-08-2017, 07:58 AM
Man, this is terrible. Sorry Ed.

wazu
08-08-2017, 02:34 PM
I am so sorry, Ed. Prayers sent to your whole family for healing.

Easy 6
08-08-2017, 04:52 PM
Really sad to hear he was lost, Ed

Just goes to show the kind of sacrifices our servicemen and women face every single day... even training missions can be extremely dangerous

HemiEd
08-08-2017, 07:40 PM
Really sad to hear he was lost, Ed

Just goes to show the kind of sacrifices our servicemen and women face every single day... even training missions can be extremely dangerous

Yeah Easy, that aircraft is an accident waiting to happen IMO. The transition between hovering to flight and flight to hover has got to be a real gut wrenching deal each time.

It is my understanding that Nathan was a great swimmer and I learned tonight that he had survived the impact but drown trying to save his crew members.

The Navy is supposed to be bringing the aircraft up from the 150 ft. depth they found it at and hopefully the three bodies will be recovered.