PDA

View Full Version : Funny Stuff Email Scam

Dartgod
08-09-2017, 06:53 AM
This came through our mail server yesterday. A new take on email scams.

I'll have to admit, even though I know this is a scam, I'd be a bit unnerved if I received this in my inbox.

Sent: Tuesday, August 8, 2017 3:28 PM
To:xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: I HAVE BEEN PAID TO KILL YOU

I want you to read this message very carefully, and keep the secret with you till further notice, You have no need of knowing who i am, where i'm from,until i make out a space for us to see, i have being paid $15,000.00 in advance to terminate you with some reasons listed to me by my employer,its one i believe you call a friend,i have followed you closely for one week and three days now and have seen that you are innocent of the accusation,

Do not contact the police or try to send a copy of this to them, because if you do i will know, and might be pushed to do what i have being paid to do,beside this is the first time i turned out to be a betrayer in my job.

Now listen,i will arrange for us to see face to face but before that i need the amount of $20,000.00 and you will have nothing to be afraid of.I will be coming to see you in your office or home .depending where you wish we meet,do not set any camera to cover us or set up any tape to record our conversation,my employer is in my control now,

You will need to pay $10,000.00 to the account i will provide for you, before we will set our first meeting,after you have make the first advance payment to the account,i will give you the tape that contains his request for me to terminate you, which will be enough evidence for you to take him to court(if you wish to), then the balance will be paid later.

Warning; do not contact the police, make sure you stay indoors once it is 7.30pm until this whole thing is sorted out, if you neglect any of these warnings, you will have yourself to blame. You do not have much time, so get back to me immediately

Note: I will advise you keep this to yourself alone, not even a friend or a family member should know about it because it could be one of them.

ChiTown
08-09-2017, 06:55 AM
Seems legit....

Amnorix
08-09-2017, 06:56 AM
Yeah, I gotta say, this is pretty damn creepy.

Dartgod
08-09-2017, 07:03 AM
If any of you want to send me $20,000, I promise not to kill you.

Hell, send me $20 and we'll call it good.

Dayze
08-09-2017, 07:06 AM
send me a 2 six packs of Lagunitas 'Lil Sumpin' , and you will be in no further danger.

ptlyon
08-09-2017, 07:06 AM
All I know there are a shit ton of Russian women that want to hook up with me. Latinos too.

Why Not?
08-09-2017, 07:28 AM
I would respond:

What! $15,000? That's it? One of my dickhead friends only thinks I'm worth $15,000? Damn, my friends sucks. You know what? Fuck it. If that's all I'm worth, you should just carry it out. I'll make it easy on you. Where should we meet?

KC-TBB
08-09-2017, 07:31 AM
wow, I just get the 'hot women looking for you' emails...

HemiEd
08-09-2017, 08:24 AM
So Dart, did you send the money?

If you aren't around for the football gambling challenge, we will know what happened. RIP.

Mr. Plow
08-09-2017, 08:30 AM

I'll have to admit, even though I know this is a scam, I'd be a bit unnerved if I received this in my inbox.

This is all over tags.

beach tribe
08-09-2017, 08:37 AM
I'd have him meet you, but when he shows up, tell him you have one question before discussing the money, then ask him how much he thinks HIS life is worth.

rocknrolla
08-09-2017, 08:50 AM
Why would you even open it?

cosmo20002
08-09-2017, 10:08 AM
Yeah, I gotta say, this is pretty damn creepy.

I've had creepier PMs from Dane.

TimeForWasp
08-09-2017, 10:13 AM
Fake News

Bugeater
08-09-2017, 10:14 AM
Christ, just send me the fucking money. Don't know why you're being such a pain in the ass about this.

CaliforniaChief
08-09-2017, 10:28 AM
One can only hope this person takes the windfall and invests in some education.

Spott
08-09-2017, 11:14 AM
I responded to that email telling them to bring it on and gave them Alex Smith's home address.

BlackHelicopters
08-09-2017, 11:27 AM
I assure you sir that I am unarmed.

gblowfish
08-09-2017, 12:15 PM
$15 grand is cheap for a mob hit, isn't it?

tooge
08-09-2017, 12:18 PM
I'd do it for $10K

ptlyon
08-09-2017, 12:21 PM
Hell, I'll do it for a bottle of purple passion and a bag of Cheetos. Only the puffy kind tho.

Garcia Bronco
08-09-2017, 12:29 PM
lol...fucking Russians/eastern European schtick.

cabletech94
08-09-2017, 12:31 PM
This is all over tags.

wait, what? where are my efffing tags!!!!!!!

noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!

Otter
08-09-2017, 01:17 PM
If the person who wrote this would take a couple minutes to target the email receiver with some social media info available on Facebook such as "you're daughter(s)", "your boxer dog that you like walk", "next time you go mountain biking I can make it look like an unfortunate accident"...you get the point. </br></br>He/she might actually get some results or at least sound legit.

Rain Man
08-09-2017, 01:38 PM
$15 grand is cheap for a mob hit, isn't it?

Not if you're an easy target.

Frazod
08-09-2017, 01:48 PM
See what you made the Nigerian prince resort to? You should be ashamed of yourself. :D

Hog's Gone Fishin
08-09-2017, 02:09 PM
I think it probably came from a CP member. Being a mod can have consequences.

But in all seriousness, I'd share it with law enforcement anyway.

Rasputin
08-09-2017, 02:19 PM
I once got a call from a "detective" that I had a warrant out for my arrest because of an outstanding bill I had 10 years ago. He said he would take care of it if I payed $500 then the charges would be dismissed and he could call off the dogs. I told him I knew I didn't have a warrant out for me but I'd go turn myself in just to find out the truth. I knew it was a scam but they probably get people with it.

DaneMcCloud
08-09-2017, 02:23 PM
I've had creepier PMs from Dane.

:rolleyes:

ptlyon
08-09-2017, 02:29 PM
I once got a call from a "detective" that I had a warrant out for my arrest because of an outstanding bill I had 10 years ago. He said he would take care of it if I payed $500 then the charges would be dismissed and he could call off the dogs. I told him I knew I didn't have a warrant out for me but I'd go turn myself in just to find out the truth. I knew it was a scam but they probably get people with it.

When did you get out of jail?

Rasputin
08-09-2017, 02:33 PM
When did you get out of jail?

Ha ha never been to jail but I more or less work at one at a state institution and they let me out every day :)

Dartgod
08-09-2017, 02:34 PM
Ha ha never been to jail but I more or less work at one at a state institution and they let me out every day :)

Say hi to Mr. Blonde for us.

Bufkin
08-09-2017, 03:11 PM
As a county Sheriff's Deputy, I would say a quarter of our lobby walk-ins have to do with scams very similar to this. We had a PayPal scam recently in which several elderly people fell for. Essentially, the guy on the other line told them that they had a warrant for their arrest due to skipping jury duty, and they would need to send 500 dollars worth of PayPal credit cards to a specific address in order to clear the warrant.

The problem being, the address listed was out of country, and the phone numbers used were throwaway track phones. It's so hard not to ask some of the older women, "was it not suspicious that an out of country man with a Middle Eastern accent had the power to remove an active warrant via PayPal money?" It really is sad how vulnerable old people can be when it comes to scams like that.

Don't even get me started on Facebook phishing.

J Diddy
08-09-2017, 03:16 PM
i m relly gud at killin but spelin aint gud at.

That seriously reads like a 3rd grader doing a Liam Neeson skit from Taken.

Bufkin
08-09-2017, 03:17 PM

Hysterical, and accurate. ROFL

wazu
08-09-2017, 03:21 PM
I wonder if the spelling and grammar is how they get around spam filters. Maybe shuffling typos prevents a program monitoring for a large volume of identical emails. Just a guess.

J Diddy
08-09-2017, 03:25 PM
I wonder if the spelling and grammar is how they get around spam filters. Maybe shuffling typos prevents a program monitoring for a large volume of identical emails. Just a guess.

I'm willing to guess that it has more to do with not knowing English than spam filters.

Fish
08-09-2017, 03:41 PM
If the person who wrote this would take a couple minutes to target the email receiver with some social media info available on Facebook such as "you're daughter(s)", "your boxer dog that you like walk", "next time you go mountain biking I can make it look like an unfortunate accident"...you get the point. </br></br>He/she might actually get some results or at least sound legit.

http://i.imgur.com/NKNXUID.jpg

Beef Supreme
08-09-2017, 03:44 PM
It's an obvious scam! Anyone who knows me well enough to want me dead knows I ain't got $20k laying around!

Rain Man
08-09-2017, 03:50 PM
I'm willing to guess that it has more to do with not knowing English than spam filters.

I read something once that concluded that the only people gullible enough to fall for these things are further convinced that they're real because of typos. Apparently gullible people believe that a large-scale scam would be carefully proofread beforehand, whereas the plea of a dying princess is going to be written under duress. It's actually kind of logical when you think about it.

listopencil
08-09-2017, 03:58 PM
I read something once that concluded that the only people gullible enough to fall for these things are further convinced that they're real because of typos. Apparently gullible people believe that a large-scale scam would be carefully proofread beforehand, whereas the plea of a dying princess is going to be written under duress. It's actually kind of logical when you think about it.

This explains the poor quality of the Princess Leia hologram in Star Wars.

Hog's Gone Fishin
08-09-2017, 04:18 PM

Hey JDiddy , you doin OK ???

Dartgod
08-09-2017, 04:18 PM
As a county Sheriff's Deputy, I would say a quarter of our lobby walk-ins have to do with scams very similar to this. We had a PayPal scam recently in which several elderly people fell for. Essentially, the guy on the other line told them that they had a warrant for their arrest due to skipping jury duty, and they would need to send 500 dollars worth of PayPal credit cards to a specific address in order to clear the warrant.

The problem being, the address listed was out of country, and the phone numbers used were throwaway track phones. It's so hard not to ask some of the older women, "was it not suspicious that an out of country man with a Middle Eastern accent had the power to remove an active warrant via PayPal money?" It really is sad how vulnerable old people can be when it comes to scams like that.

Don't even get me started on Facebook phishing.

I have a friend who's elderly parents were scammed out of $10,000 a few years ago from a guy who claimed to be their grandson who needed bail money for some arrest in Minnesota. They said he sounded exactly like him and knew things that their grandson would know.

My parents have had a couple of similar calls over the last few years but didn't bite.

Hog's Gone Fishin
08-09-2017, 04:20 PM

I'll keep that in mind as I move forward. Thanks,Rep

mr. tegu
08-09-2017, 04:25 PM
There is a Craigslist one where cars are listed way below value and when you contact them they give a sob story about why they want to get rid of it fast and cheap. They then say ebay is handling the transaction to give it credence and will deliver the car to you after you pay like $500 in PayPal gift cards. I'm sure people fall for it all the time.

siberian khatru
08-09-2017, 04:30 PM

Outstanding

KCrockaholic
08-09-2017, 05:01 PM
i cant belive ,one fall, for such scam

- Hashkbaghd

Dave Lane
08-09-2017, 05:02 PM

So Tigger is a spammer. Who knew.

T-post Tom
08-09-2017, 05:23 PM
Sent: Tuesday, August 8, 2017 3:28 PM
To: Kim Jong-un
Subject: I HAVE BEEN PAID TO KILL YOU

I want you to read this message very carefully, and keep the secret with you till further notice, You have no need of knowing who i am, where i'm from,until i make out a space for us to see, i have being paid $15,000.00 in advance to terminate you with some reasons listed to me by my employer,its not one i believe you call a friend,i have followed you closely for one week and three days now and have seen that you are innocent of the accusation,

http://static4.businessinsider.com/image/56c640526e97c625048b822a-480/donald-trump.jpg

Do not contact the police or try to send a copy of this to them, because if you do i will know, and might be pushed to do what i have being paid to do,beside this is the first time i turned out to be a betrayer in my job.

Now listen,i will arrange for us to see face to face but before that i need all of your nuclear warheads and you will have nothing to be afraid of.I will be coming to see you in your bomb shelter or spider hole.depending where you wish we meet,do not set any camera to cover us or set up any tape to record our conversation,my employer is in my control now,

You will need to mail your warheads to the address i will provide for you, before we will set our first meeting,after you have make the advance shipment,i will give you the tape that contains his request for me to terminate you, which will be enough evidence for you to take him to court(if you wish to),

Warning; do not contact the police, make sure you stay indoors once it is 7.30pm until this whole thing is sorted out, if you neglect any of these warnings, you will have yourself to blame. You do not have much time, so get back to me immediately

Note: I will advise you keep this to yourself alone, not even a friend or a family member should know about it because it could be one of them.

FYP:)

Rain Man
08-09-2017, 05:56 PM
I'll keep that in mind as I move forward. Thanks,Rep

Out of curiosity, would you have found my statement more credible if I had misspelled a few words?

lewdog
08-09-2017, 06:21 PM
Sorry Dart.

I meant to send that to Prison Bitch.

JD10367
08-09-2017, 08:09 PM
Meet him.

Arrange with another friend of yours who is batshit crazy to show up at the meeting.

Kill him.

Problem solved.

listopencil
08-09-2017, 09:21 PM
I have a friend who's elderly parents were scammed out of $10,000 a few years ago from a guy who claimed to be their grandson who needed bail money for some arrest in Minnesota. They said he sounded exactly like him and knew things that their grandson would know.

My parents have had a couple of similar calls over the last few years but didn't bite.

My mom got unsuccessfully scammed like that with someone pretending to represent one of her grandchildren stuck in a foreign jail. She freaked out and, unfortunately, the first person she was able to get in contact with was my idiot sister who also fell for the scam. They both started freaking out on the phone with each other while trying to figure out what to do because the name that the scammer settled on actually matched up with two people in the family. My sister finally called me, and I bitched her out for about fifteen minutes for being such a dumbass and letting our mom get so worked up.

Rain Man
08-09-2017, 09:29 PM
It's not a scam, but I was walking to a meeting downtown the other day and needed to make a restroom stop. I wandered into a hotel, trying to look like a confident guest, and meandered into a big convention. It would have been easy to crash their breakfast buffet.

If I ever find myself homeless, I'll migrate to a place with a lot of conventions. I won't have to eat out of trash cans.