PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs The Chiefs Know They Have Depth Issues At O-Line

DaneMcCloud
08-14-2017, 09:14 AM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Zach Fulton taking some reps at second-string left tackle. First time I&#39;ve ever seen that. Isaiah Battle down to third-team LT.</p>&mdash; Terez A. Paylor (@TerezPaylor) <a href="https://twitter.com/TerezPaylor/status/897105856801628160">August 14, 2017</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Rausch
08-14-2017, 09:17 AM
Fulton is strong but his footwork is so bad it's more difficult than Mahomes transitioning to under center.

I like Fulton as depth and LOVE him as depth at C and a 1 or 2 week fill in at G...

RealSNR
08-14-2017, 09:17 AM
I wouldn't be surprised to see Fulton get time at backup kicker the way they move him around.

Titty Meat
08-14-2017, 09:19 AM
If Fisher goes down yikes

nychief
They'll be changes to our 2nd string come cut down time. There is every year.

pugsnotdrugs19
Ehh, I prefer they don't go that route personally. He was moved inside for a reason at this level, he's just not athletic enough to succeed outside.

Veach just needs to prioritize finding a serviceable tackle when cuts come around. There has to be someone better than what we have who will be cut.

Rausch
08-14-2017, 09:20 AM

Reason 247 we don't want a rookie in there this year...

Best22
08-14-2017, 09:20 AM
Offensive line depth. Pretty boring, until you realize how terrible it is

Rausch
08-14-2017, 09:21 AM
Veach just needs to prioritize finding a serviceable tackle when cuts come around. There has to be someone better than what we have who will be cut.

This was a very deep area that could have been drafted.

Eleazar
08-14-2017, 09:22 AM
No fatties. No one should ever draft fatties no matter how deep the draft is for them. One fattie is as good as another.

Rausch
08-14-2017, 09:22 AM
Offensive line depth. Pretty boring, until you realize how terrible it is

Everyone hates drafting O line because of Marty.

Marty knew how to build a team. His problem was going tight-butthole in the playoffs.

His problem wasn't who we drafted - it's how we coached when it mattered...

DaneMcCloud
08-14-2017, 09:28 AM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">He&#39;s now at RT. <br><br>Has started at all three interior OL spots in past. <a href="https://t.co/tTrs7jekY9">https://t.co/tTrs7jekY9</a></p>&mdash; BJ Kissel (@ChiefsReporter) <a href="https://twitter.com/ChiefsReporter/status/897117055069114368">August 14, 2017</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Red Dawg
08-14-2017, 09:32 AM
Sure would have been nice to have money in the off season to fill in such problems. Dorsey fucked that part of the job up.

DaneMcCloud
08-14-2017, 09:33 AM
Sure would have been nice to have money in the off season to fill in such problems. Dorsey fucked that part of the job up.

Offensive line depth is a league-wide problem, not just an issue in KC.

Best22
08-14-2017, 09:49 AM
Everyone hates drafting O line because of Marty.

Marty knew how to build a team. His problem was going tight-butthole in the playoffs.

His problem wasn't who we drafted - it's how we coached when it mattered...

It's true. Everyone wants a great offensive line but almost nobody wants to draft any linemen (except the fans who think the lines are irrelevant and it doesn't matter if it's good or not)

RealSNR
08-14-2017, 09:54 AM
No fatties. No one should ever draft fatties no matter how deep the draft is for them. One fattie is as good as another.

The middle rounds are for the fatties. That's always been my position.

If you're drawing from the well of fatties in the 2nd-5th rounds, you're more often than not going to find starters, and the usual the worst you're going to do is fill out your fatty depth. The one exception to this comes in finding a rock solid LT. Which... we spent the #1 overall pick on one and he's STILL not the rock solid guy we were promised.

Oh well.

notorious
08-14-2017, 09:56 AM
I wouldn't be surprised to see Fulton get time at backup kicker the way they move him around.

He might takes snaps away from Bray soon.

RunKC
08-14-2017, 09:56 AM
This wouldn't be an issue if Parker Ehinger wasn't hurt.

Ehinger played every OL position but C in college and has well above average fundamentals. Witzmann is also a tackle with ideal height/weight/athleticism measurable S that we've forced to move to G.

Ehinger posted on his instagram a couple of weeks ago that he had 1 more month until he's ready. I'm not so sure they'll put him on the PUP.

notorious
08-14-2017, 09:57 AM

I can't name a single team that would be fine with losing their starting LT.

Maybe the Pats, but it would still be bad.

RealSNR
08-14-2017, 09:58 AM
It's true. Everyone wants a great offensive line but almost nobody wants to draft any linemen (except the fans who think the lines are irrelevant)

I think it's irresponsible to go the route of the Cowboys in developing your line. That's just stupid.

The Chiefs have done a good job at building and finding starters. They did it multiple ways.

The problem is they have IGNORED entirely the OT position. Since Andy Reid has been here, we've drafted one OT. And that's Eric Fisher.

Dane pointed out in the draft forum that spread offenses and simplified concepts in college are producing inferior tackle talent, and if that's the case, it's going to be even more important that we start using those draft picks to occasionally comb through and find some OTs.

pugsnotdrugs19
08-14-2017, 10:00 AM
This wouldn't be an issue if Parker Ehinger wasn't hurt.

Ehinger played every OL position but C in college and has well above average fundamentals. Witzmann is also a tackle with ideal height/weight/athleticism measurable S that we've forced to move to G.

Ehinger posted on his instagram a couple of weeks ago that he had 1 more month until he's ready. I'm not so sure they'll put him on the PUP.

Great point. When Ehinger is out there, we kick Witzmann back to reserve duty. Instant depth upgrade.

ChiefsCountry
08-14-2017, 10:04 AM
Chiefs have used a 1st rounder, 2nd rounder, and 3rd rounder on the offensive line. Plus their biggest free agent signing. Let's not act like they have completely ignored the offensive line in the draft.

DaneMcCloud
08-14-2017, 10:07 AM
Chiefs have used a 1st rounder, 2nd rounder, and 3rd rounder on the offensive line. Plus their biggest free agent signing. Let's not act like they have completely ignored the offensive line in the draft.

Fisher, Morse and ?

Frosty
08-14-2017, 10:15 AM
Fisher, Morse and ?

I'm counting a 1st, a 2nd, a 4th (Parker Ehinger) and two 6ths (Fulton and LDT).

Edit: Thanks Dane

DaneMcCloud
08-14-2017, 10:18 AM
I'm counting a 1st, a 2nd, a 4th (Parker Ehinger) and two 5ths (Fulton and LDT).

Fulton & LDT were both taken in the 6th round of the 2014 draft

ChiefsCountry
08-14-2017, 10:20 AM
Fisher, Morse and ?

I stand corrected Ehinger was 4th round pick.

Frosty
08-14-2017, 10:22 AM
Fulton & LDT were both taken in the 6th round of the 2014 draft

:doh!:

DaneMcCloud
08-14-2017, 10:22 AM
I stand corrected Ehinger was 4th round pick.

Cool, I was just trying to remember. Stephenson was taken in the 3rd back in 2012.

Great pick, Scott!

Hudson - 2nd round 2011 - a Raider
Allen - 2nd round 2012 - Texan
Stephenson -3rd round 2012 - Bronco

What a waste of draft picks.

KChiefs1
08-14-2017, 10:37 AM

Dorsey should be fired.

mdchiefsfan
08-14-2017, 10:38 AM
So much for milkman's suggestion (which I feel is a better option than Fulton) of giving LDT some snaps on the edge. They must want to keep him focused on his role.

jjchieffan
08-14-2017, 11:59 AM
Cool, I was just trying to remember. Stephenson was taken in the 3rd back in 2012.

Great pick, Scott!

Hudson - 2nd round 2011 - a Raider
Allen - 2nd round 2012 - Texan
Stephenson -3rd round 2012 - Bronco

What a waste of draft picks.

They all played out their rookie contracts and went on to other teams. Hudson was really the only big loss, as he is a really good center and he plays for the Fade now. Allen was better than Stephenson by far. And Stephenson was signed by the Donks, which further extended their OL problems. I would say that while it would have been nice to have a longer term return on those picks, we still got value out of them. That is not a waste of picks. Kevari Russell last year,that was a wasted pick.

Direckshun
08-14-2017, 12:06 PM
Hudson and Allen are very good linemen, are they not? We just can't afford to keep everyone at the price they're asking for.

That's not wasted picks.

DaneMcCloud
08-14-2017, 12:07 PM
Hudson and Allen are very good linemen, are they not? We just can't afford to keep everyone at the price they're asking for.

That's not wasted picks.

No, Allen was not and is not.

They were wasted picks, unless you want to count the Comp picks, which weren't that great, either.

DaneMcCloud
08-14-2017, 12:08 PM
They all played out their rookie contracts and went on to other teams. Hudson was really the only big loss, as he is a really good center and he plays for the Fade now. Allen was better than Stephenson by far. And Stephenson was signed by the Donks, which further extended their OL problems. I would say that while it would have been nice to have a longer term return on those picks, we still got value out of them. That is not a waste of picks. Kevari Russell last year,that was a wasted pick.

I disagree. If you're taking guys in the 2nd and 3rd round and letting them walk after their rookie contracts expired, that's a waste.

Do you think that will happen with Morse or Jones?

I don't.

RunKC
08-14-2017, 12:14 PM
I disagree. If you're taking guys in the 2nd and 3rd round and letting them walk after their rookie contracts expired, that's a waste.

Do you think that will happen with Morse or Jones?

I don't.

Hudson was one of Pioli's best moves but was offered an obscene amount of money. I remember it being reported that Dorsey was trying to get him signed in his contract year.

BlackOp
08-14-2017, 12:28 PM
Hudson was one of Pioli's best moves but was offered an obscene amount of money. I remember it being reported that Dorsey was trying to get him signed in his contract year.

The Raiders made him the highest payed center...they had to. Nobody would play for them otherwise...it was smart move by both Hudson and Dorsey.

Cant hate on Pioli for the Hudson pick...

Hoover
08-14-2017, 12:44 PM
ADAF = Always draft a fatty. Every year, and best if in rounds 3,4,5 or 6.

DaneMcCloud
08-14-2017, 12:51 PM

Oh, I know. But if we're talking about offensive lineman, the Chiefs drafted three in two years and none are still with the Chiefs.

Letting Hudson walk was a no-brainer because the Chiefs didn't have the cap space to re-sign him.

But Stephenson over Russell Wilson still hurts and Jeff Allen could never, ever stay healthy.

That's a poor use of draft picks.

BryanBusby
08-14-2017, 12:52 PM
What are you talking about? This Offensive Line class sucked.

BryanBusby
08-14-2017, 12:53 PM

That's not wasted picks.
Allen has been a FA bust for Houston so far.

DaneMcCloud
08-14-2017, 12:54 PM

This was one of the worst drafts for offensive linemen in NFL history.

For the first time ever, an offensive lineman wasn't taken in the Top 10.

The first guy off the board was Garrett Bolles, at #20, and he's already 25 years old.

DaneMcCloud
08-14-2017, 12:55 PM

He sucked in 2012, had a difficult 2013, tore a pec in 2014, frequently injured in 2015.

The Texans way overpaid him.

BryanBusby
08-14-2017, 12:57 PM
He sucked in 2012, had a difficult 2013, tore a pec in 2014, frequently injured in 2015.

The Texans way overpaid him.
Yeah they did a panic signing to protect the shitty investment they made at QB.

Easy 6
08-14-2017, 01:08 PM

An acronym to live by

ChiefGator
08-14-2017, 01:32 PM
The worst thing about Hudson is that we signed (with tampering) Maclin that year, so we got screwed out of the 3rd round comp pick we should have gotten.

Maclin ended up costing us two 3rd rounders and one 6th rounder for two years of service... that is three fatties right there!

Reerun_KC
08-14-2017, 01:59 PM

I prefer loading up on fatties on both sides round 3-5.

oldman
08-14-2017, 02:11 PM
I think we're OK at the G and C spots, but I'd sure like to have a swing tackle better than Battle or Reid.

MahiMike
08-14-2017, 02:13 PM
Branden Albert says hi.

J Diddy
08-14-2017, 02:33 PM
Branden Albert says hi.

Branden has plenty of time to say hi. He's now retired after all them injuries. Not sure how that would help a depth chart problem.

RippedmyFlesh
08-14-2017, 02:46 PM
I think Chief fans have lofty expectations of oline play.
The chiefs can win a sb with a line that is not as good as the Roaf Shields Waters line.

MahiMike
08-14-2017, 02:48 PM
Branden has plenty of time to say hi. He's now retired after all them injuries. Not sure how that would help a depth chart problem.

He's un retired so he wouldn't have to pay back bonus. He's available and I'll bet he gets a gig.

penbrook
08-14-2017, 02:51 PM
Well good thing Battle is third on the depth chart now. Reid is a solid backup guard. Tackle he sucks ass

jjchieffan
08-14-2017, 04:37 PM
What are you talking about? This Offensive Line class sucked.

That's what I was thinking when he said that, but I didn't respond because I wasn't sure. But isn't the reason that ElFraud reached for that inbred Bolles was because there were no good tackles available and he was desperate to fill that need?

jjchieffan
08-14-2017, 04:40 PM
He's un retired so he wouldn't have to pay back bonus. He's available and I'll bet he gets a gig.

I'd take him on a cheap deal. He would be great depth. Maybe he could stay healthy in a backup role.

mcaj22
08-14-2017, 04:44 PM
offensive line talent/depth is weak across the board. The talent of yesteryear has mostly retired early or has beaten their bodies so badly you barely get 8 years of service as a lineman.

There are a couple veteran LTs hanging on but it's pretty bleak to find a Steve Hutchinson currently in the NFL. Offensive lineman are just getting beaten down by bigger, faster front 7s. The talent pool as taken a huge hit.

There are teams with starting lineman equal to Isaiah Battle right now (Seahawks, Vikings), it's bad.

DaneMcCloud
08-14-2017, 04:46 PM
I'd take him on a cheap deal. He would be great depth. Maybe he could stay healthy in a backup role.

Dude, it's well known that Brandon Albert doesn't love football. It's known by players, management and owners alike.

If he ends up somewhere this year, it's because a team is extremely desperate, not because a team is looking for depth.

BlackHelicopters
08-14-2017, 05:42 PM
Brandon Albert? Are you people on dope?

smith11
08-15-2017, 12:46 AM

so has sean smith for raider--he had terrible 1st game vs cards

Nickhead
08-15-2017, 12:58 AM
The middle rounds are for the fatties. That's always been my position.

If you're drawing from the well of fatties in the 2nd-5th rounds, you're more often than not going to find starters, and the usual the worst you're going to do is fill out your fatty depth. The one exception to this comes in finding a rock solid LT. Which... we spent the #1 overall pick on one and he's STILL not the rock solid guy we were promised.

Oh well.

says luke jokel :D

splatbass
08-15-2017, 01:34 AM
The chiefs can win a sb with a line that is not as good as the Roaf Shields Waters line.

If they want to win a SB they'll have to win it with a line that is not as good as the Roaf Shields Waters line. A line like that doesn't come around very often.

Comanche
08-15-2017, 07:33 AM

John Alt 1984 / Round: 1 / Pick: 21

Willie Rolf
New Orleans Saints drafted him with the eighth pick of the first round in the 1993 draft

Will Shields
Shields was the third-round (74th overall) pick of the Kansas City Chiefs in the 1993 NFL Draft

okcchief
08-15-2017, 08:00 AM
Reason 247 we don't want a rookie in there this year...

Agreed

The O-line is my biggest concern after game 1. Especially, the depth of the line. Hopefully, they can strengthen it a bit as other teams who are stronger there make cuts. I have no issues with Mahomes sitting this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rudy tossed tigger's salad
08-15-2017, 08:10 AM
Put Sherman at T!

milkman
08-16-2017, 07:43 AM
So much for milkman's suggestion (which I feel is a better option than Fulton) of giving LDT some snaps on the edge. They must want to keep him focused on his role.

I get why they don't want to move him, as he still has technical issues to clean up.