PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Patrick Mahomes’ vision on the move is special, plus more Chiefs quarterback notes

Tribal Warfare
08-17-2017, 09:37 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/red-zone/article167675172.html

Patrick Mahomes’ vision on the move is special, plus more Chiefs quarterback notes

AUGUST 17, 2017 8:00 AM

ST. JOSEPH
A quartet of notes on the Chiefs’ quarterbacks as the defending AFC West champs wrap up the open portion of training camp at Missouri Western.

▪ Rookie quarterback Patrick Mahomes has gotten a lot of love for his on-field creativity in training camp, and rightfully so. His elusiveness in the pocket is real, and he’s athletic enough to make teams pay with his legs when things break down. But the encouraging thing about his skill set is how Mahomes, without exception, is always looking to throw downfield, even when he’s running around. That’s not always a given in this league, especially with young players. But it’s a trait that the elite quarterbacks with athleticism — Steve Young, Aaron Rodgers, even Brett Favre and John Elway — all had.

“Throughout my whole football career, I have always known I wasn’t the fastest guy,” Mahomes said. “I’m a little quick, I can run a little bit, but I know I can’t make a lot happen. So my thinking always was, ‘why don’t you put it in the fast guys’ hands and let them make plays.’ So, when I scramble and do those things, I try to look downfield, look for the playmakers, put it in their hands and let them make all the big plays happen.”

That should be music to the ears of Chiefs fans.

▪ Speaking of Mahomes, it’s worth noting that a number of his interceptions throughout camp came on short-to-intermediate throws over the middle of the field. As my friend and colleague Omar Kelly noted, that’s typically the area of the field where rookie quarterbacks struggle to see the most. I wouldn’t freak out about it, but keep it in mind if Mahomes has a preseason pick or two there.

▪ Sticking with the quarterbacks, I must reiterate — for the 1,382nd time — that starter Alex Smith is having a nice camp. He’s never been more decisive or aggressive in camp, and I’ve heard from some in the organization who think Mahomes’ presence has helped push Alex to be more aggressive, given the rookie’s gunslinger tendencies.

To be fair, Alex showed the same aggression — maybe a tick less — during camp last year but went on to have a season that was, stats-wise, below my expectation for him. I thought he was going to kill it last year, but some combination of an overwhelming amount of zone coverage and the two brutal shots he took in the Indianapolis game robbed him of his scrambling ability, which was a major way he made plays during his very strong 2015 campaign.

If I had to guess which way he’ll go this year, I’d bet on Smith being better than he was a year ago. He is a proud, competitive man, and he has responded to the challenge of Mahomes’ selection — and advanced skill — as well as you hope. As 33 years old, the guy has been through so much in his career, and he’s pretty mentally tough. He deserves a chance to guide this group of men this season as long as they are in the playoff hunt.

And by the way, even if Smith is the same guy he was last year, it’s likely the Chiefs will still have a good season. I’ve said this before and I’ll say it again — No. 11 is a really good, really underappreciated quarterback, and there are many, many teams in this league that would be better off with him.

▪ It was good to see No. 3 quarterback Tyler Bray bounce back after a really rough practice on Monday. All the quarterbacks struggled due to the nature of the practice — the Chiefs were working on third-and-long situations, which is hardly conducive for quarterback efficiency — but of the top three guys on the depth chart, Bray struggled the most. His passes were largely errant — lots of overthrown balls — and after one uninspiring 11-on-11 session, coach Andy Reid addressed him, alone, at midfield for about 10 seconds.

Now, I know Bray, 25, is in a tough spot, recently losing the No. 2 job to Mahomes. As a competitor, that’s got to be tough to swallow, especially when he had the No. 2 job swiped last year as well (by Nick Foles). But when you face adversity in this league, coaches want to see you respond with an “eff you” attitude, one where it’s clear you’re determined to prove them wrong. Bray has been here for five years now so he knows the offense, and his deep ball is still a very good to borderline elite trait. There are worse quarterbacks in this league than Bray, and if he keeps fighting he can have a long career, even in Kansas City, given the amount of time this staff has invested in him. But it’s up to him to turn it up and refuse to go down without a fight.

His comments during Wednesday’s press conference, by the way, were encouraging. I asked him, right off the bat, how he handled being moved down a spot on the depth chart this week. His response?

“It is a competition — the season hasn’t started yet,” Bray said. “I don’t think it is a set depth chart, I just know (Pat) is going in there and getting some second-team reps.”

To be sure, Mahomes is the future at quarterback in Kansas City — his talent is absurd and the club spent two first-round picks, plus a third, to get him. But Bray should use this as an opportunity to just go out, have fun and do everything he can prove the coaches wrong. The pressure is off you now, young man. Just go out there, play ball and let it rip

el borracho
08-17-2017, 09:39 AM
Alex Smith sucks! (just wanted to be the first in this thread)

sedated
08-17-2017, 09:49 AM
People have been talking about Mahomes' "legs" since he was drafted, but I didn't see it at all in the first game. Maybe I'm used to Alex, who is legit fast, but Mahomes seemed to be running in sand when you compare the two.

Rain Man
08-17-2017, 09:51 AM
Mahomes shouldn't be throwing passes of less than 30 yards anyway. The next Chiefs decade will be known for having more long-distance bombs than the Battle of Britain.

Tribal Warfare
08-17-2017, 09:54 AM
People have been talking about Mahomes' "legs" since he was drafted, but I didn't see it at all in the first game. Maybe I'm used to Alex, who is legit fast, but Mahomes seemed to be running in sand when you compare the two.

Dude, he's like Trent . PMII may not be fastest guy, but he'll buy enough time to pass the ball or gain 5+ yards when called upon.

Hammock Parties
08-17-2017, 09:58 AM
http://i.imgur.com/bFfQES9.gif

notorious
08-17-2017, 11:19 AM
He keeps his head up looking for a guy to break open.

Haven't seen that in a Chiefs uniform since Gannon.

Halfcan
08-17-2017, 12:30 PM
Nice summary of camp. Sounds like PM2 is the most talented QB on the roster.

Bray kind of sounds like he's in denial.

“It is a competition — the season hasn’t started yet,” Bray said. “I don’t think it is a set depth chart, I just know (Pat) is going in there and getting some second-team reps.”

No Bray- You won't be number 2 when the season starts. Better deal with it.

Hog's Gone Fishin
08-17-2017, 12:51 PM
That's what the coaches saw in him. Johnny football had that too. Fucking Cleveland had to jump us though and ruin Johnnys life.

JakeF
08-17-2017, 01:14 PM
People have been talking about Mahomes' "legs" since he was drafted, but I didn't see it at all in the first game. Maybe I'm used to Alex, who is legit fast, but Mahomes seemed to be running in sand when you compare the two.I saw that too. I'm going to assume that Mahomes is running slower because he's so intent on looking to pass downfield. If he tucks it and runs he will be faster.

Quesadilla Joe
08-17-2017, 01:17 PM
Teams can scheme and keep him inside the pocket. If he's going to be a legit QB, he's going to have to learn how to play inside the pocket.

New World Order
08-17-2017, 01:23 PM
Teams can scheme and keep him inside the pocket. If he's going to be a legit QB, he's going to have to learn how to play inside the pocket.

He's not a rush-first quarterback. He evades pressure when he needs to and finds receivers downfield.

Pitt Gorilla
08-17-2017, 01:34 PM
That's what the coaches saw in him. Johnny football had that too. ****ing Cleveland had to jump us though and ruin Johnnys life.Good Lord, no. Manziel was never going to amount to shit.

Pitt Gorilla
08-17-2017, 01:35 PM
It really is a luxury to have 2 great options at QB.

Best22
08-17-2017, 03:45 PM
That's what the coaches saw in him. Johnny football had that too. ****ing Cleveland had to jump us though and ruin Johnnys life.

I'm glad Cleveland took him from us. They wound up with sadness, we got Dee Ford (ascending OLB) and Pat Mahomes. Manziel is a little guy with an average at best arm. Mahomes is big with a powerful arm. He's also intelligent and doesn't come with any red flags. Confident not arrogant.

Worked out well

BigCatDaddy
08-17-2017, 04:05 PM
Dude, he's like Trent . PMII may not be fastest guy, but he'll buy enough time to pass the ball or gain 5+ yards when called upon.

Only a dumbass talks about QB rushing yards in the NFL. Manning was never the fastest guy either but moved well enough to buy time to throw.

Best22
08-17-2017, 04:20 PM
Only a dumbass talks about QB rushing yards in the NFL. Manning was never the fastest guy either but moved well enough to buy time to throw.

Brady scored a rush TD in 2001 vs the Raiders in the playoffs. Ultimately the difference in the game.

Don't forget that run by Brady on 3rd and 8 vs Atlanta. If he threw it away, good chance the Pats lose the game

I hope Mahomes gets faster. A timely QB run can win you the game. I hate it when QBs throw it away rather than run for a few easy yards.

Hammock Parties
08-17-2017, 04:30 PM
Brady scored a rush TD in 2001 vs the Raiders in the playoffs. Ultimately the difference in the game.

Don't forget that run by Brady on 3rd and 8 vs Atlanta. If he threw it away, good chance the Pats lose the game

I hope Mahomes gets faster. A timely QB run can win you the game. I hate it when QBs throw it away rather than run for a few easy yards.

Motherfuck yourself you buttfucking Smith lover.

#TaoOfDane

RealSNR
08-17-2017, 04:41 PM

When did Patrick "OMG HE PLAYS TOO RISKEEEE!!" Mahomes turn into a scared pussy game manager who throws the ball away too often? :spock:

Best22
08-17-2017, 04:42 PM
Mother**** yourself you butt****ing Smith lover.

#TaoOfDane

Rodgers, Elway, Roethlisberger, Montana, and Wilson can [could] all run. It's an extra weapon

Best22
08-17-2017, 04:43 PM
When did Patrick "OMG HE PLAYS TOO RISKEEEE!!" Mahomes turn into a scared pussy game manager who throws the ball away too often? :spock:

When it's 3rd and 3, no defender front of the QB, no receivers open, what is the QB supposed to do? If he throws it away in that situation he's a p****.

Simply Red
08-17-2017, 04:43 PM
we'll be fine

notorious
08-17-2017, 04:44 PM
He's not a rush-first quarterback. He evades pressure when he needs to and finds receivers downfield.

Exactly, he wants to stay in the pocket, but when he has to scramble it's to find a receiver breaking lose when the defense loosens up.

Hammock Parties
08-17-2017, 04:50 PM
Rodgers, Elway, Roethlisberger, Montana, and Wilson can [could] all run. It's an extra weapon

Roethlisberger and Mahomes have comparable mobility.

ModSocks
08-17-2017, 04:52 PM
Roethlisberger and Mahomes have comparable mobility.

In what way?

RealSNR
08-17-2017, 04:53 PM
When it's 3rd and 3, nobody defender front of the QB, no receivers open, what is the QB supposed to do? If he throws it away in that situation he's a p****.

You actually think Mahomes would throw the ball away in that situation?

Hammock Parties
08-17-2017, 04:54 PM
In what way?

They both move the same way within the pocket, neither has top end QB speed, but plenty to get outside the tackles. And most importantly, both run to throw rather than running to shit their pants like some namby-pamby bitches I know.

ModSocks
08-17-2017, 04:55 PM

That's just silly. He can scramble just fine. Didn't he scramble for a 1st down in last week's game? Or was that called back to yet another flag.

Hammock Parties
08-17-2017, 04:57 PM
That's just silly. He can scramble just fine. Didn't he scramble for a 1st down in last week's game? Or was that called back to yet another flag.

Yes.

http://i.imgur.com/Evg8jpn.gif

ModSocks
08-17-2017, 04:58 PM
They both move the same way within the pocket, neither has top end QB speed, but plenty to get outside the tackles. And most importantly, both run to throw rather than running to shit their pants like some namby-pamby bitches I know.

I won't argue with you about it, but i don't see Big Ben when i watch Mahomes scramble. Mahomes isn't nearly as hard to take down and i think Mahomes is more elusive.

Hammock Parties
08-17-2017, 04:58 PM
His had a really nice TD run in training camp...his speed looked fine here.

http://i.imgur.com/ua4co72.gif

Hammock Parties
08-17-2017, 04:59 PM
I won't argue with you about it, but i don't see Big Ben when i watch Mahomes scramble. Mahomes isn't nearly as hard to take down and i think Mahomes is more elusive.

A couple others here have noted it, too. They just kind of move the same way.

I think he's kind of like a hybrid of Ben and Wilson in the mobility department.

And remember, he's not a small guy, either...he's "thick." :D

ModSocks
08-17-2017, 05:00 PM
And remember, he's not a small guy, either...he's "thick." :D

That's how my wife describes my dick.....

KCrockaholic
08-17-2017, 05:20 PM
Funny this turned into a Mahomes "legs" thread. He's not necessarily fast. But he IS mobile in the pocket, which is a trait every single great QB has had. Rodgers, Brady, Manning, Roethlisberger etc. Mobile within the pocket to allow themselves more time to throw. Alex just isn't an aware pocket QB often enough. He's a sack taker, and always has been.

Hammock Parties
08-17-2017, 05:23 PM
Gannon didn't have top end QB speed either but he had amazing innate sense of when and where to move, when to actually run and when to move to throw.

Mahomes is going to be that kind of scrambler IMO.

Easy 6
08-17-2017, 05:51 PM
St Pat will be a full fledged assassin in no time

Hoping Bray can hang onto #3

notorious
08-17-2017, 06:04 PM
St Pat will be a full fledged assassin in no time

Hoping Bray can hang onto #3

I honestly don't know if he's worth it. He has been around for years and still looks fairly shitty.

penbrook
08-17-2017, 06:10 PM
Mahommy even said that Alex is by far faster and a better runner than he is

Easy 6
08-17-2017, 06:23 PM
I honestly don't know if he's worth it. He has been around for years and still looks fairly shitty.

True, if he cant impress in the remaining preseason games against NFL never will be's by now, then its not looking good for him

notorious
08-17-2017, 06:25 PM
True, if he cant impress in the remaining preseason games against NFL never will be's by now, then its not looking good for him

Well, he knows the system, and if you ever get down to the 3rd guy the game has pretty much went to hell anyway.

Hammock Parties
08-17-2017, 06:26 PM

Yeah so was Michael Vick.

No one cares.

We're raising a big boy QB now.

wazu
08-17-2017, 06:28 PM

Just another sign of the maturity and humility of Mahomes.

Red Dawg
08-17-2017, 06:29 PM
That's how my wife describes my dick.....

Where did that come from? You can't just throw out dick references in a Mahomes thread.

Have some respect.

Marcellus
08-17-2017, 06:35 PM
Some of you guys act like Mahomes is Jamis Winston or Teddy Bridgewater.

Dude is waaaay more athletic than those guys. He isnt a running QB he is a mobile QB.

penbrook
08-17-2017, 06:36 PM
Some of you guys act like Mahomes is Jamis Winston or Teddy Bridgewater.

Dude is waaaay more athletic than those guys. He isnt a running QB he is a mobile QB.

Idk Jamis Winston is actually pretty good

Red Beans
08-17-2017, 06:47 PM
we'll be fine

I think this is the correct answer.

penbrook
08-17-2017, 06:57 PM
This mixes in with Patrick and Alex

https://youtu.be/NmzYhXkjGzE

Marcellus
08-17-2017, 07:16 PM
This mixes in with Patrick and Alex

https://youtu.be/NmzYhXkjGzE

You just posted a video perfectly illustrating why Smith is so frustrating.

You get highlights mixed with absolute shit and tepid QB play. 10 years in he should be more consistent.

Chief Pagan
08-17-2017, 07:36 PM
Idk Jamis Winston is actually pretty good

But does he have a thicker dick. :hmmm:

penbrook
08-17-2017, 07:37 PM
But does he have a thicker dick. :hmmm:

Chris Jones should know