PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Marvez: No 'awkwardness' for Chiefs thanks to bonding of Alex Smith, Patrick Mahomes

Quesadilla Joe
08-18-2017, 07:10 AM
Alex Smith's final preseason as Kansas City's starting quarterback began in the same locale that the Pony Express originated.

Only in his case, the ride has not been nearly as bumpy as the ride experienced by those pioneering mailmen. Thanks to the attitude of Smith's heir apparent, the bumpiness Smith thought could transpire this summer has been absent.

One of the ancillary benefits to the Chiefs holding training camp away from club headquarters is greater opportunity for teammates to connect while on the road. Smith says that bonding has occurred between him and Patrick Mahomes, the big-armed rookie Kansas City drafted in the first round to ultimately take his place.

"You get to know each other on a real level," Smith told co-host Gil Brandt and me Tuesday on SiriusXM NFL Radio before the Chiefs broke camp. “Through OTAs and stuff, you’re still kind of working through it. You don't really know each other that well.

"It’s been nice to come to camp and just (having) no B.S. He and I can get to know the real one another. That's been good. You kind of get back to football and being players. You get through all that — any awkwardness or anything else that might be there — and you just have fun."

Smith's approach stands in stark contrast to how some other lame-duck quarterbacks handled themselves once a successor was tabbed. For example, Green Bay’s Brett Favre had an instant dislike for Aaron Rodgers after the latter was drafted in 2005. Sam Bradford also asked Philadelphia management for a trade — which was ultimately granted (to Minnesota) even after the request was rescinded — once it was clear the Eagles were selecting Carson Wentz in last year’s draft.

It would be hard to criticize Smith for taking a similar stance, especially considering he was given the Wally Pipp treatment by San Francisco in 2012, when he was benched in-season for Colin Kaepernick.

About the only viable scenario in which Smith will return to Kansas City next season is if he leads the Chiefs to their first Super Bowl appearance in almost 50 years. Kansas City would clear $17 million in much-needed salary cap space by releasing Smith in the 2018 offseason before he enters the final year of his contract. Plus, the Chiefs obviously believe Mahomes has more upside after sending their 2018 first-round pick to Buffalo to leap 17 spots in the draft and selecting him at No. 10 overall.

It's in Smith's best personal interest to get as many snaps as possible this season to bolster his free-agent stock. Doing the bare minimum to help Mahomes adjust to the NFL — which is a huge leap since he’s a 21-year-old underclassman coming from a spread system at Texas Tech — would increase the chances he remains on the bench while Smith plays.

Taking that stance also isn't in Smith’s nature.

MORE: Chiefs' worst-ever starting QB is ...

"He’s been great with the young kid coming in," Chiefs coach Andy Reid said. “They all handle it differently. He's not here to be that kid's mentor. That's not what we're asking him to do. We’re asking him to go win games. But at the same time, he's done that. He’s a good human being and he treats that kid well."

For that, the "kid" is appreciative.

"Having a guy like Alex in front of you is awesome,” said Mahomes, who was promoted to the backup role earlier this week following his performance in Kansas City’s preseason opener against San Francisco. "He's a guy that really has control of the entire offense and is the true leader of the team. And he's a guy who has no hurtfulness or anything."

At least none that will be displayed publically, which is the same tact Smith has taken toward public knocks on his play. The fact that Smith has averaged 10 wins in the four seasons since he was traded from San Francisco to Kansas City and his efficiency in avoiding big mistakes (i.e. turnovers) is often overshadowed by two other factors: his failure to consistently produce dynamic plays in the passing game and the team's inability to advance past the second round of the playoffs despite having championship-caliber defenses.

Smith allows that being a lightning rod for criticism is part of the quarterback “lifestyle." He also learned to ignore much of it during his first six seasons with the 49ers when he was regularly skewered for failing to live up to what was expected of the 2005 draft's top overall pick.

MORE: NFL QB rankings for 2017

Smith hasn't changed that tact during a far more successful stretch with the Chiefs despite the outside clamoring for Mahomes that will continue to grow if Smith hits a rough patch, which is entirely possible this season considering the youth on Kansas City’s wide receiving corps. Not to mention a running game that has dipped ever since the now-departed Jamaal Charles suffered a major knee injury early in the 2015 campaign.

"Certainly, it does get in here and there, but I think you just get older and accept it for what it is," said Smith, 33. “You get the draft, you get the new guys in, and that’s a good thing. Fans should be excited about that. I don’t think I need to necessarily make it about me or take offense to anything. I still need to go about doing my job and to not lose that focus."

He has done that so far this preseason, even as Mahomes makes the kind of throws in practice that have wowed teammates and Smith himself.

"Seeing some of the throws he’s making and ability to get out of the pocket and still put these throws right on a dime, it’s pretty impressive," Chiefs left tackle Eric Fisher said of Mahomes. “I think everyone is looking forward to see him progress over the years."

Such excitement, though, is tempered by the fact that Mahomes will someday be under center at Smith’s expense.

"Alex is such a professional," Fisher said. “He’s one of the most consistent guys I know. Every day, he doesn’t miss a beat. Just blocking for him going on five years now, it’s been a privilege.

"I hope to block for him as long as he's doing this thing. He's doing an awesome job again. I don’t think he always gets the credit he deserves, but he’s my guy."

And will be until Mahomes is ready.

MORE: When should rookie QBs start?

"The kid is a lot like (Smith) in that he's competitive as all get-out," Reid said. "I think Alex appreciates that part of him — that he wants to be good.

"Alex knows like we all know we’re not getting any younger. That's part of this game. It keeps going."

Giddy up.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/news/kansas-city-chiefs-alex-smith-patrick-mahomes-quarterback-battle-contract/bkwcj0pgupj91mrfbllo51i9v?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Pasta Little Brioni
08-18-2017, 08:54 AM
Lynch fucking sucks

TimeForWasp
08-18-2017, 09:37 AM
The benefit to having Smith on the team is he makes you good enough to see the light
at the end of the tunnel.
Which makes you go that extra mile to go after a first round QB to reach the threshold .

Smith has has been a benefit to this team and I give him credit for that.
I wouldn't object to him taking a backup contract and staying with the team if he is open to coasting out in KC until retirement.
_________

Direckshun
08-18-2017, 09:58 AM
You just couldn't hope for a better incumbent QB than Smith in this situation.

Smith helped bring Kaepernick along, and he'll do the same with Mahomes. He's got a proven track record in this regard.

NJChiefsFan
08-18-2017, 09:59 AM

Smith helped bring Kaepernick along, and he'll do the same with Mahomes. He's got a proven track record in this regard.

I agree with you but I'm not sure 1 time does a proven track record make.

Hammock Parties
08-18-2017, 09:59 AM
Sure was nice of Alex to let Mahomes fuck his wife, too.

JakeF
08-18-2017, 10:01 AM

Smith helped bring Kaepernick along, and he'll do the same with Mahomes. He's got a proven track record in this regard.I agree. There are many vets who will tell a rookie QB to fuck off.

Direckshun
08-18-2017, 10:03 AM
I agree with you but I'm not sure 1 time does a proven track record make.

Fair enough. But it's a mirror to this exact circumstance, and I'm excited to see what Alex does for him.

NJChiefsFan
08-18-2017, 10:03 AM
Fair enough. But it's a mirror to this exact circumstance, and I'm excited to see what Alex does for him.

I agree.

Color Red
08-18-2017, 10:32 AM
The benefit to having Smith on the team is he makes you good enough to see the light
Which makes you go that extra mile to go after a first round QB to reach the threshold .

I wouldn't object to him taking a backup contract and staying with the team if he is open to coasting out in KC until retirement.
_________

I always remind myself of how turnover prone we were (Matt Cassel) before Smith came. He really helped us to be competitive and become a playoff caliber team.

Rasputin
08-18-2017, 10:48 AM

_________

I think that there maybe a possibility that if Alex Smith doesn't play like Alex Smith this year and he actually is part of why we go the playoffs not just letting defense and special teams do all the work, that the Chiefs would have an open competition for the starting job between Alex Smith the incumbent and Patrick Mahomes II the challenger with Patrick just beating him outright.

Then Alex would be a backup but finish out his contract or possible trade to a QB hungry team.

TimeForWasp
08-18-2017, 10:52 AM
I think that there maybe a possibility that if Alex Smith doesn't play like Alex Smith this year and he actually is part of why we go the playoffs not just letting defense and special teams do all the work, that the Chiefs would have an open competition for the starting job between Alex Smith the incumbent and Patrick Mahomes II the challenger with Patrick just beating him outright.

Then Alex would be a backup but finish out his contract or possible trade to a QB hungry team.

I don't think there is any chance plays out his contract in KC unless his contract is reworked.

PAChiefsGuy
08-18-2017, 11:43 AM
Sure was nice of Alex to let Mahomes **** his wife, too.

That's not funny at all. Have some class.

Football is a game, it is entertainment.. If you can't handle a QB no being elite, if that makes you hate him personally for some odd psychotic reason watch another sport.

Hammock Parties
08-18-2017, 11:48 AM

Football is a game, it is entertainment.. If you can't handle a QB no being elite, if that makes you hate him personally for some odd psychotic reason watch another sport.

It's not entertaining to watch the Chiefs tread water for four years with a guy who isn't just "not elite" but who wasn't even average last year.

So I get my entertainment by shitting on him.

Hope you're entertained.

rico
08-18-2017, 11:50 AM

You're right...it's not funny. Alex's wife isn't really all that hot. I'm sure Chief Mahomey could rake in way hotter women than her. Very low shot at Mahomes there by Clay, IMO.

PAChiefsGuy
08-18-2017, 12:07 PM
It's not entertaining to watch the Chiefs tread water for four years with a guy who isn't just "not elite" but who wasn't even average last year.

So I get my entertainment by shitting on him.

Hope you're entertained.

I am.. Classless scumbags such as yourself and rico tend to be entertaining. Their lack of morals and willingness to embarrass themselves fascinates me.

Continue on man.. I could use a laugh.

rico
08-18-2017, 12:13 PM
I am.. Classless scumbags such as yourself and rico tend to be entertaining. Their lack of morals and willingness to embarrass themselves fascinates me.

Thinking that Chief Mahomey can reel in some beautiful women that I subjectively believe are better looking than Alex's wife is classless and scummy?!?!?

Your Alex-only glasses have made you a bitter, angry person.

NJChiefsFan
08-18-2017, 12:17 PM

For a man with class and morals you sure do put down a lot of people the second they disagree with you.

Hammock Parties
08-18-2017, 12:24 PM
You're right...it's not funny. Alex's wife isn't really all that hot. I'm sure Chief Mahomey could rake in way hotter women than her. Very low shot at Mahomes there by Clay, IMO.

You gotta slay some of them hoodrats before you work your way up to the news anchors around town and stuff.

PAChiefsGuy
08-18-2017, 12:25 PM
Thinking that Chief Mahomey can reel in some beautiful women that I subjectively believe are better looking than Alex's wife is classless and scummy?!?!?

Your Alex-only glasses have made you a bitter, angry person.

I didn't mean that post in particular. I meant in general there's been some comments that I felt were inappropriate and classless by you.

If you are in denial you might want to go back and reread some of your posts.

For a man with class and morals you sure do put down a lot of people the second they disagree with you.

I've been insulted more here than a bullied geeky kid in HS has in a year. I have a right to defend my objective Alex 'All I Do Is Win' Smith's posts.

RunKC
08-18-2017, 12:40 PM
I've been insulted more here than a bullied geeky kid in HS has in a year. I have a right to defend my objective Alex 'All I Do Is Win' Smith's posts.

I want you to read this paragraph and ask yourself if you deserve what's coming to you.

rico
08-18-2017, 12:42 PM
I didn't mean that post in particular. I meant in general there's been some comments that I felt were inappropriate and classless by you.

Yeah, I know one off the top of my head that was pretty classless...I am sorry for calling you and Tiger cousins due to his uncle and your "pa" presumably being the same guy. I know that you and Tiger are the same guy and I shouldn't have implied any differently. That was classless of me and I am ashamed of that. I'm sorry about how things went down with your uncle...no wait, I am sorry that you went down on your uncle, Pennsyltucky Tiger Bob. That shouldn't be a laughing matter.

rico
08-18-2017, 12:43 PM
You gotta slay some of them hoodrats before you work your way up to the news anchors around town and stuff.

That's true...it's a process. Gotta groom him for the big time hoes!!!

-King-
08-18-2017, 01:17 PM
Oh the same posters who have ruined every other chiefs thread are ruining this one? What a surprise
Posted via Mobile Device

Best22
08-18-2017, 01:20 PM
:rolleyes:

rico
08-18-2017, 01:21 PM
Oh the same posters who have ruined every other chiefs thread are ruining this one? What a surprise
Posted via Mobile Device

Yeah that PAChiefsGuy is something else, man!!! I feel your pain!!!!

PAChiefsGuy
08-18-2017, 01:25 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

I apologize man. I simply don't think talking about having sex with one of our players wives is funny (rico apparently thinks it is hilarious but that's easy to predict). I had to say something.

We'll get back to talking football now.

I think Alex 'All I Do Is Win' Smith is a really classy guy and he is going to help Mahomes out in anyway he can which is great. Not all veteran QBs are like that.

In 2014 Kaepernick actually talked about Alex 'All I Do Is Win' Smith being a great mentor in SF.

“I don’t think I would be at this point so quickly if (Alex Smith) hadn’t been such a great mentor to me and helped me along with things,” Kaepernick said. “I’m very grateful for my teammates as well. I wouldn’t be here without them.”

-King-
08-18-2017, 01:28 PM
Yeah that PAChiefsGuy is something else, man!!! I feel your pain!!!!

You, PAChief, Clay, Pablo, Tigger and Sandy need your own subforum. Each thread it's the same thing with you guys.
Posted via Mobile Device

PAChiefsGuy
08-18-2017, 01:32 PM
You, PAChief, Clay, Pablo, Tigger and Sandy need your own subforum. Each thread it's the same thing with you guys.
Posted via Mobile Device

:clap:

Way to call them out -King-!

RippedmyFlesh
08-18-2017, 01:39 PM
PAChief, Tigger, 3douchebag and Sandy need your own subforum. Each thread it's the same thing with you guys.
Posted via Mobile Device

fyp

rico
08-18-2017, 01:44 PM
I apologize man. I simply don't think talking about having sex with one of our players wives is funny (rico apparently thinks it is hilarious but that's easy to predict). I had to say something.

I think Alex 'All I Do Is Win' Smith is a really classy guy and he is going to help Mahomes out in anyway he can which is great. Not all veteran QBs are like that.

In 2014 Kaepernick actually talked about Alex 'All I Do Is Win' Smith being a great mentor in SF.

“I don’t think I would be at this point so quickly if (Alex Smith) hadn’t been such a great mentor to me and helped me along with things,” Kaepernick said. “I’m very grateful for my teammates as well. I wouldn’t be here without them.”

Whoa? Where did I indicate that I thought it was hilarious? I thought I was clear that I believed that it was a low blow to Mahomes?!?! It really made me mad!!!!! And you are making me madder!!!! Stop putting words in my mouth, jerkoff!!!

There is a huge difference between how people portray themselves and others in he media when compared to how things actually are. They know what to say...well, most know what to say... some don't. Some do, but don't follow standard interview protocol because they don't give a shit.

With that said, I bet Smith is more willing to help Bray than he is Mahomes. Because they seem to be friends...according to various social media outlets.

rico
08-18-2017, 01:45 PM
:clap:

Way to call them out -King-!

He called you out too, cock-munch!!! ROFL

rico
08-18-2017, 01:46 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

I mean, I'm not gonna sit here and act like I don't see your point on this one.

PAChiefsGuy
08-18-2017, 01:52 PM
He called you out too, cock-munch!!! ROFL

Yeah I know. Unlike you I can read.

I have no problem with that. I think you and your boyfriend Clay get the best of me sometimes and it is something I need to work on so I am not a distraction to other posters.

rico
08-18-2017, 01:57 PM
Yeah I know. Unlike you I can read.

I have no problem with that. I think you and your boyfriend Clay get the best of me sometimes and it is something I need to work on so I am not a distraction to other posters.

So apparently you agree that every time you post, it turns out being the same Alex knob-shlobbing?!?!?!?

My boyfriend Clay?!? I don't mind Clay, but he and I barely ever interact with each other on here.

I've interfaced with you probably 20 times as much as I have Clay. So if Clay is my boyfriend, what are you, my husband???!? We'd be like, one of those couples you see on Cops who call with domestic complaints!!!!

Hydrae
08-18-2017, 05:43 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

Great idea! Just to see what it would be like I have added all listed to my previously empty ignore list. I have a feeling I will not miss much football talk.

Easy 6
08-18-2017, 05:49 PM
Its genuinely nice to hear they have a great work relationship, it can only help St Pat

For all of the Smitty hate, its well known that he has always been a consummate teammate... and for him to continue that with the guy destined to replace him yet again, tells me Alex is a great person

I applaud him for that

notorious
08-18-2017, 05:50 PM
When they go out of their way to mention that there is no awkwardness, there is awkwardness.

OldSchool
Great idea! Just to see what it would be like I have added all listed to my previously empty ignore list. I have a feeling I will not miss much football talk.

ROFL

That's one way to do it. I myself grew tired of arguing in circles with people so I just post sporadically now.

rico
When they go out of their way to mention that there is no awkwardness, there is awkwardness.

This.

PHOG
08-18-2017, 05:55 PM
Mahomes is in the perfect situation IMHO. Continue to show the ropes to our QBOTF Smith. You got 1 year.

rico
08-18-2017, 05:55 PM

http://images.memes.com/meme/416066

stumppy
08-18-2017, 05:56 PM

:eek:

Hell, this is Chiefs Planet. Let's talk about having sex with your wife/girlfriend. Get her out here and let the boys have a gander at her.

Easy 6
08-18-2017, 05:57 PM

I have to disagree in this instance, its been a well known trait of Smiths

Kaepernick never has anything but kind words for Alex

notorious
08-18-2017, 06:00 PM
I have to disagree in this instance, its been a well known trait of Smiths

Kaepernick never has anything but kind words for Alex

I have no doubt that Alex is a Grade-A awesome guy, but he has to feel a little uncomfortable right now, which isn't a bad thing.

In all walks of life, the ultra-successful all have one thing in common: They learned to become comfortable with being uncomfortable.

NJChiefsFan
08-18-2017, 06:28 PM

Normally people that sit on a high horse claim they don't stoop to other people's level. Interesting justification.

Rasputin
08-18-2017, 06:29 PM
I have no doubt that Alex is a Grade-A awesome guy, but he has to feel a little uncomfortable right now, which isn't a bad thing.

In all walks of life, the ultra-successful all have one thing in common: They learned to become comfortable with being uncomfortable.

Yeah. There is no way Alex Smith doesn't get at least somewhat jealous of the notoriety that Mahomes is getting and early success in camp that he didn't have himself. Nor did he have a mentor to set him on the right path so for that Alex Smith had a real rough rookie campaign and I don't think he ever fully recovered from it. He really did suck his rookie year and it looks like Mahomes is going have a good shot even this year to take his job away if he doesn't play up to Coach Reid expectations and those expectations are to throw the deep ball.

Alex has to go beyond his comfort zone this year so I'm going watch and see if he starts to force things that last year he wouldn't pull the trigger and see if he can make it work or not.

BigRedChief
08-20-2017, 06:03 AM

Smith helped bring Kaepernick along, and he'll do the same with Mahomes. He's got a proven track record in this regard.Alex has to know this is his last year here. He could have a fantastic year, lead us to the Super Bpwl and he will still be cut in the off season. There is no way getting around the $17million cap hit. Smith behaving like professional only helps his stock for the next team.

HemiEd
08-20-2017, 06:20 AM
Its genuinely nice to hear they have a great work relationship, it can only help St Pat

For all of the Smitty hate, its well known that he has always been a consummate teammate... and for him to continue that with the guy destined to replace him yet again, tells me Alex is a great person

I applaud him for that

I agree, but it is probably pretty easy when you have about a 100 million in the bank.

thegame214
08-20-2017, 07:13 AM
Alex has to know this is his last year here. He could have a fantastic year, lead us to the Super Bpwl and he will still be cut in the off season. There is no way getting around the $17million cap hit. Smith behaving like professional only helps his stock for the next team.

:clap: You get it.

thegame214
08-20-2017, 07:15 AM

This and rightfully so :)