PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Only one position has seen their average pay in the NFL *decrease*.

Direckshun
08-21-2017, 08:09 AM
Pretty fascinating: despite the fact that there is more money flowing now than ever before, and everybody on the field is getting richer and richer, there is one exception.

https://espnfivethirtyeight.files.wordpress.com/2017/05/morris-nflrb-1.png?w=575&h=488&quality=90&strip=info

RBs are actually seeing their average pay drop in the NFL.

For the record, since the Chiefs have cut Jamaal Charles, they're paying (https://overthecap.com/position/running-back/2017):

Ware $1,745,833
West $1,152,083
Spiller $695,000
Hunt $658,988

Total of $4,251,904, though overthecap has our positional spending (https://overthecap.com/positional-spending) at just north of $5m. (6th lowest in the league.)

The Patriots, the team everybody says can just trot out interchangeable RBs, are set to spend $13m on their four RBs, if they keep them (3rd in the league).

Rasputin
08-21-2017, 08:39 AM
This is a passing league that trend is going continue. Running backs are easiest to replace. Pass protection maybe most important job for a running back anymore. Teams like Chiefs with Andy Reid will throw it on 3rd and 1 or throw it when they are down at the goal line. See ~ Hungry Pig

LoneWolf
08-21-2017, 09:22 AM
Look at this chart again in about 4 years. I'll bet the trend has reversed. Currently most of the top running backs in the league are young backs playing out their rookie contracts. Elliot, Gurley, Johnson, Bell (I know he just signed his franchise tender, but I don't think it is shown in your chart), Fournette, just to name a few are still on their initial rookie contracts. As they reach free agency, these numbers will climb.

Amnorix
08-21-2017, 09:26 AM
The Patriots, the team everybody says can just trot out interchangeable RBs, are set to spend $13m on their four RBs, if they keep them (3rd in the league).

Well, this is a bit misleading. We signed TWO free agent running backs, so although the 2017 cash spend is that high, alot of it is signing bonus that is pro-rated for cap purposes across the full contract length.

STILL, the Pats are spending an unusual amount on RBs this year, largely because it seems they want multiple RBs who are BOTH pretty decent between the tackles and able/willing to catch the ball out of the backfield. It looks like BB didn't like the whole "Blount, so run play / Lewis/White so pass play" dynamic. He wants defenses to struggle much more with play identification via personnel deployment.

MarkDavis'Haircut
08-21-2017, 03:05 PM
Today's NFL is a zero sum game. Passing is King.

BWillie
08-21-2017, 03:08 PM
Teams finally got smart and figured out RB's are very replaceable and usually more of a product of your system, than anything. They just need to hold onto the ball and be durable.

Stewie
08-21-2017, 04:31 PM
I figured another position. Going from million$ to ZERO is pretty dramatic. Stupid is stupid.