PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Chiefs’ running back picture is murky after Spencer Ware’s injury

Tribal Warfare
08-26-2017, 12:54 AM
Chiefs’ running back picture is murky after Spencer Ware’s injury (http://www.kansascity.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/vahe-gregorian/article169522832.html)

BY VAHE GREGORIAN
vgregorian@kcstar.com

The Chiefs in February cast away much-admired running back Jamaal Charles — foreshadowing an offseason of dramatic change that later included the surprising release of receiver Jeremy Maclin and stunning firing of general manager John Dorsey.

Mostly, they discarded Charles because of his apparently precarious knees. Charles, who had 7,260 career rushing yards and an NFL running back career record of 5.5 yards a carry, was limited by injuries to 83 carries the last two seasons.

At least some factor in not even trying to negotiate with Charles was this: They believed the combination of Spencer Ware and Charcandrick West — and whoever else they could bring in to bolster the group — was sufficient to make Charles expendable.

The true virtue of the strategy can’t really be known for months to come, but it’s getting a test and more data this weekend.

On the eve of Charles making his preseason debut for the Denver Broncos, Ware went down on the first drive of the Chiefs’ unsightly 26-13 preseason loss to Seattle on Friday at CenturyLink Field.

Even on a forgettable night fraught with dropped passes and 14 penalties for 126 yards and other mental lapses by the Chiefs, the most troubling snapshot was the sight of Ware clutching his right knee before being carted off the field.

The immediate update to his condition was a cryptic press box announcement that Ware had, in fact, hurt his right knee and would “not return.”

After the game, coach Andy Reid said that Ware had a sprained knee. X-rays were negative, he added, but a telltale MRI awaits on Saturday

CoMoChief
08-26-2017, 12:55 AM
hunt just shot up ffl draft boards

Nickhead
08-26-2017, 01:01 AM
am i the only one who interpreted the mega thread discussion as not making a thread for every single article written about the same person and same injury?

mods, merge these ware threads please :D

Simply Red
08-26-2017, 01:02 AM
Something to write about. That's how i took this.

RippedmyFlesh
08-26-2017, 01:04 AM
If ware can't be ready for ne you have to sit hunt next week.

Simply Red
08-26-2017, 01:05 AM
If ware can't be ready for ne you have to sit hunt next week.

yeah that's a good point, I think.

notorious
08-26-2017, 06:48 AM
Of all the positions to get an injury, RB might be the best.

Buckweath
08-26-2017, 06:58 AM

My thoughts exacrly when Ware got hurt. Plus you hope for no injury but wvery season yiu get injuries. Thats just part of the game.

Eleazar
08-26-2017, 07:10 AM

Exactly. There are 3 or 4 special ones, the rest are a dime a dozen.

cabletech94
08-26-2017, 07:14 AM
because chuefs

In58men
08-26-2017, 07:16 AM
Should take a flyer on DeAngelo Williams

patteeu
08-26-2017, 10:01 AM
am i the only one who interpreted the mega thread discussion as not making a thread for every single article written about the same person and same injury?

mods, merge these ware threads please :D

Don't worry your pretty little head about it. An occasional thread repost (if this even qualifies as that) is a small price to pay for putting the megathread nonsense to rest.

Hammock Parties
08-26-2017, 10:02 AM
Lil Chiefy, blaming disappointing seasons on RBs since 1989.

ModSocks
08-26-2017, 10:04 AM
With the dramatic, negative spin on it i thought for sure it was written by Teicher.

Titty Meat
08-26-2017, 10:18 AM

Really? I don't think Hunt is a 300 carries guy and West/Spiller are trash