PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs You didn'nt ask for it, so you got it: every Witzmann snap reviewed from last week.

Direckshun
08-27-2017, 01:55 PM
He entered this season as one of the biggest enigmas on this team, which is saying something. Everybody has been lauding the Chiefs starting OL and that's deserved in some regards, but how it Witzmann individually performing? Upon watching every snap against the Seahawks tough front 7, would Witzmann be a weak link? Does this mean Ehinger or Fulton then becomes an option?

Let's see.

1st quarter

15:00 1st and 10
ball on Chiefs 25

Smith on a naked bootleg, darts up field for 8. Nazair Jones gets the jump on Witzmann, but Witzmann effectively guides him to the far side of the field along with the rest of the OL.

14:22 2nd and 2
ball on Chiefs 33

Ware runs untouched up the gut for the first down, getting wrestled down after a 5 yard gain. Witzmann pulls to the right, but between he and Schwartz, no real hole opens up -- which is fine, because Morse and Fisher have the left side dominated. The Seahawks read Witzmann pulling and overcommitted a bit.

13:45 1st and 10
ball on Chiefs 38

Ware up the gut again for 7. Witzmann goes pure downhill with Fisher to open the hole. Witzmann pushes Nazair Jones back with Fisher, then getting pushed back a hair by a LB.

13:08 2nd and 3
ball on Chiefs 45

Draw play, up the gut for Hunt, who gains 6 on the play and the first down. Witzmann has Ahtyba Rubin one-on-one, putting him on rollerskates and getting a few yards push, creating the hole for Hunt.

12:04 1st and 5
ball on Seahawks 44

A little play action, but Smith turns and fires a perfect pass to Hill, who drops it. Witzmann handfights with Ahtyba Rubin for about 1 second.

11:58 2nd and 5
ball on Seahawks 44

A strange double option for Smith, who pulls the ball from Ware and keeps it, so he can chuck a lateral to Albert Wilson on the far end. Wilson gets a couple yards and is planted. Nazair Jones again gets the jump against Witzmann, but Witzmann rides him far wide of the play.

11:13 3rd and 2
ball on Seahawks 47

Smith checks down from the shotgun to Ware, who hauls in a low pass and gets out of bounds just after the 1st down marker. Frank Clark tries to get around Witzmann with quickness but Witzmann catches him and plants him into the turf.

10:43 1st and 10
ball on Seahawks 38

Hunt runs off right tackle for about three yards before a mass of players swallow him up. Witzmann chases Ahtyba Rubin for a couple moments before putting his hands on a LB at the end of the play.

10:00 2nd and 7
ball on Seahawks 35

Hunt up the gut, gets stood up after about a couple yards. Witzmann is to down block on Ahtyba Rubin, but Rubin puts Witzmann on his knees. Does his damnedest to keep his hands on Rubin while on his knees, but Rubin swallows up Hunt for the tackle.

9:16 3rd and 4
ball on Seahawks 32

Smith in a drop back, feels heat off his left and throws a poor pass to Kelce's feet, incomplete. The Seahawks drop everyone, leaving Witzmann with no man to block.

9:10 4th and 4
ball on Seahawks 32

Smith in the shotgun, quickly fires a pass low to Albert Wilson, who can't come up with it. (Roughing the passer gives the Chiefs a 1st, though.) Witzmann receives Cassius Marsh and shuts down his rush effectively.

9:05 1st and 10
ball on Seahawks 22

Ware runs off right tackle for a couple yards. Witzmann gets a push on a DL before rolling right and getting a late push on Rubin as the play comes to an end.

8:28 2nd and 7
ball on Seahawks 19

Screen pass to Ware who is out wide. Ware drags a linebacker about eight yards -- Ware is injured and gone. Witzmann chases Bobby Wagner a bit but can't get to him.

7:54 3rd and 1
ball on Sehawks 8

Hunt with a run up the gut is destroyed when K.J. Wright comes through untouched and drops him for a loss. Witzmann and Fisher double team Michael Bennett effectively.

3:39 1st and 10
ball on Chiefs 4

Hunt up the gut for 6. Morse and Witzmann push Rubin back several yards and out of the play.

3:00 2nd and 4
ball on Chiefs 10

Smith in the shotgun hits Kelce on a quick route, drags a couple defenders a yard or two for a 8 yard gain. Witzmann doesn't have a man to block, as Frank Clark dances between him and Fisher.

2:19 1st and 10
ball on Chiefs 19

Smith with a play action, gets flushed out of the pocket by a Kam Chancellor blitz, tosses the ball out of bounds. Witzmann shuts down a bull rush by Frank Clark.

2:08 2nd and 10
ball on Chiefs 19

Quick play action, then Smith darks an out pass to Hill, missing him by inches and Hill can't reel it in. Witzmann doubles with Morse to negate Rubin.

2:05 3rd and 10
ball on Chiefs 19

Smith on a delayed screen to Charcandrick West, who gains a couple yards and is planted. Witzmann stays in line for a moment, then helps a teammate when Michael Bennett leaks through -- planting Bennett before trying to get out in space.

2nd Quarter

13:37 1st and 10
ball on Chiefs 12

Smith in shotgun, quickly hits Kelce on a slant for 8. Penalty by LDT gets the play called back. Witzmann handles Jarrad Reed largely by himself.

13:24 1st and 16
ball on Chiefs 6

Smith hits Tyreek out of the shotgun for a quick 10. I can't tell which DT Witzmann handles 1 on 1 but he does a good job neutralizing the rush.

12:32 2nd and 5
ball on Chiefs 17

Smith runs the option, keeps the ball and is chased down in space for a sack/loss by Frank Clark. Witzmann gets shed by Quinton Jefferson -- engages him and then is thrown off so Jefferson can pursue.

11:46 3rd and 9
ball on Chiefs 13

Smith in shotgun, finds Tyreek with a step on his guy. Smith's pass is a little underthrown and Hill drops the pass. Witzmann has two guys to block on a blitz -- a standing up LB, who darts inside and Witzmann blocks, and Frank Clark blitzing behind him who Witzmann is late to get to. You see the OL here slide down to make sure everybody can be blocked (great calling by Fulton), but the handoff from Witzmann to Fulton doesn't happen fast enough to block the streaking rusher, which hurries Alex's throw.

3:13 1st and 10
ball on Chiefs 23

Hunt runs between the tackles again for a solid 7 yard gain. Witzmann gets an early hit on the DE before moving on to getting push against Rubin.

2:40 2nd and 3
ball on Chiefs 30

Smith option-hands-off to Hunt up the gut for 2 yards. Witzmann fails to sustain his block on Jarran Reid. Reid eventually sheds him and wraps up Hunt's legs.

2:00 3rd and 1
ball on Chiefs 32

Hunt up the gut for an easy first -- and several yards afterwards. Witzmann makes up for his shoddy effort the previous down by destroying Ahtyba Rubin off the ball -- several yards downfield.

1:36 1st and 10
ball on Chiefs 39

Smith on a quick slant to Conley for 8 or 9. Witzmann receives Rubin and negates the bull rush.

1:18 2nd and 1
ball on Chiefs 48

Smith out of shut gun fires to Kelce on another quick slant, ball goes through Kelce's hands. Witzmann has no man to block.

1:08 3rd and 1
ball on Chiefs 48

Hunt with another nifty run up the gut for a quick first down and then some yards. Witzmann pulls over Morse but Michael Bennett is falling over. Witzmann and Bennett meet as Bennett sits on his ass.

1:01 1st and 10
ball on Seahawks 43

Smith out of a shotgun fires an out route to Wilson, who drops the pass. Witzmann hangs out, waiting for a blitzer, then gets a shot in on a DE before Smith fires the pass.

0:58 2nd and 10
ball on Seahawks 43

Smith in shotgun, has no one to throw to. Waits a few beats, then tries a Mahomes-esque off-balance cross-the-body pass to Kelce and misses horribly. Holding on K.J. Wright gives the Chiefs a 1st down. Witzmann collects Frank Clark and absolutely shuts him down.

0:52 1st and 10
ball on Seahawks 38

Smith in shotgun, pocket breaks down and he hauls it out of bounds. Witzmann does masterful job picking up the stunt blitz -- shutting down the first guy then receving the 2nd one by the time he hits the hole.

0:46 2nd and 10
ball on Seahawks 38

Smith again in shotgun, again can't find anybody, throws the ball away to Hunt for an incomplete pass. Marcus Smith throws everything at Witzmann and can't get past him.

0:41 3rd and 10
ball on Seahawks 38

Smith in shotgun, but Frank Clark gets around Schwartz fast enough to deflect the pass as Smith throws it. Witzmann doesn't have a guy to block.

TL;DR:

In conclusion, Witzmann sure looks like a decent starter at the LG position. He consistently gets push, he is excellent in the passing game. He isn't amazing getting out in space but he's pretty decent in the phone booth when he's pulling. His play arguably negatively effected only one play all half (Hunt was tackled by Witzmann's guy for a 2 yard gain, when it could have been a longer gain), although an argument could be made he didn't adjust once to a stunt fast enough once.

I personally like him, and that's coming from a skeptic who wasn't sure what to think of him. He's fast and smart and will only get better as the year progresses and his chemistry with Fisher & Morse solidify.

RealSNR
08-27-2017, 02:37 PM
I don't think people around here really watch OL play. They see a defender coming after our QB and go, "OUR LINE MUST SUCK!" without actually bothering to figure out why.

I'm kind of shocked that Witzmann has played as well as he has. Who's the last OL guy we picked off of a scrap heap who actually ended up being pretty good? Brian Waters? It's been too long. Glad Witzmann is holding up, because he's a significant upgrade from Fulton last year.

Direckshun
08-27-2017, 02:55 PM
I don't think people around here really watch OL play. They see a defender coming after our QB and go, "OUR LINE MUST SUCK!" without actually bothering to figure out why.

I'm kind of shocked that Witzmann has played as well as he has. Who's the last OL guy we picked off of a scrap heap who actually ended up being pretty good? Brian Waters? It's been too long. Glad Witzmann is holding up, because he's a significant upgrade from Fulton last year.

That'll be one of the things I miss from Dorsey the most. He has been able to find OL talent all over the place, from Canada to the waiver wire.

I hope against hope that Veach has the same touch.

CoMoChief
08-27-2017, 03:11 PM
Fulton's best spot on the OL is backing up Morse.

He's not a fast moving individual lmao , but the guy can hold anchor at times and I remember him playing the position well when Morse got hurt a couple yrs ago. I think more work in that area, you'd see Fulton's progression move forward, because right now, it's seemed to have plateaued and possibly taken a step back.

The Chiefs need OL depth ...bad.

Hammock Parties
08-27-2017, 03:21 PM
Ah yes, the annual "prop up a scrub OL" thread.

And they're all garbage.

Ehinger was garbage, Fulton was/is garbage...who else has gotten this treatment? That sack of shit Jah Reid? Shit I can probably find something pumping up Donald Stephenson.

Bunch of dreck OL.

Coach
08-27-2017, 04:05 PM

And they're all garbage.

Ehinger was garbage, Fulton was/is garbage...who else has gotten this treatment? That sack of shit Jah Reid? Shit I can probably find something pumping up Donald Stephenson.

Bunch of dreck OL.

Ehinger didn't even suit up....

Hammock Parties
08-27-2017, 05:11 PM
Ehinger didn't even suit up....

Talking about last year. Dude was a turnstile in pass pro.

Chiefs Moon
08-27-2017, 05:24 PM
Well done. Thanks. I've watched him each week and thought he was solid. There have been complaints about Witzmann which I don't get.

staylor26
08-27-2017, 05:28 PM

And they're all garbage.

Bunch of dreck OL.

:facepalm:

While he struggled with strength and clearly needs to get stronger, he was very solid for a rookie. The fact that you're already declaring him garbage is a testament to how much of a moron you really are. Just look at the difference in our run game with/without him. He certainly has the upside to be an above average LG.

You have absolutely no clue about player evaluation or development.

Hammock Parties
08-27-2017, 05:31 PM
I don't care about an OL if he can't pass block in 2017. He proved that much last year. And now he can't even get on the field.

I bet he's not even on the roster this time next year. Just more meat for the grinder that is the LG position under Andy Reid.

jjchieffan
08-27-2017, 05:33 PM
I don't care about an OL if he can't pass block in 2017. He proved that much last year. And now he can't even get on the field.

I bet he's not even on the roster this time next year. Just more meat for the grinder that is the LG position under Andy Reid.

Clay is a welcher

RealSNR
08-27-2017, 05:54 PM

I think you need a hug, buddy

Hammock Parties
08-27-2017, 05:55 PM
I don't need a hug. I need a goddamn starting quality LG on my football team. We haven't had one since Brian Waters.

Ehinger isn't a long term solution and nor is this other late-round scrub.

LoneWolf
08-27-2017, 06:09 PM
I don't need a hug. I need a goddamn starting quality LG on my football team. We haven't had one since Brian Waters.

Well, it's settled. Ehinger will be in the Hall of Fame someday.

RealSNR
08-27-2017, 06:09 PM

Do you think Brian Waters was sent to us by the OL gods in a bassinet carried by a pterodactyl and dropped off at the door to Carl's office at One Arrowhead Drive? How did he become so good? He wasn't drafted. By anybody. Hell, when he first put on an NFL jersey in Dallas it was to play ****ing FULLBACK.

The guy had work to do. It took him a remarkably short time to "get it," but that was still a significant period in which he had to develop and develop quickly. He had a lot of work to do. A looooot of work to do.

If the guy shows the ability and the disposition at a certain position in football but needs work on coachable/moldable things like strength or technique, isn't it usually a good idea to be cautious but still give the guy plenty of opportunity to develop into something good?

LDT was garbage, too. When he was in his 2nd preseason with us? Not good. He would flash occasionally, but he would also be full of **** ups.

You can be patient and get a quality starting OL if you do things the right way. Or you can be Dallas and blow all of your high draft stock on OL and look like dogshit on defense and never have enough talent in an entire phase of the game.

But hey, Dallas sure do block pretty, don't they!

Coach
08-27-2017, 09:53 PM
Talking about last year. Dude was a turnstile in pass pro.

Ah, I was under the impression that you were talking about last week.

Still he cannot be any worse than Jah Reid.

NJChiefsFan
08-27-2017, 11:48 PM
Ehinger is garbage and/or won't be on this team come next year? Interesting take.

I guess if a player doesn't take a linear line of progression from day one then all hope is lost. No way he could get better as a pass blocker and continue to be a good run blocker. Impossible. Get rid of him and keep cutting guys until we find Brian Waters again.