PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Terez Paylor: Grade Card

JakeF
09-07-2017, 11:46 PM
Chiefs report card: Alex Smith has a huge night through the air
BY TEREZ A. PAYLOR
tpaylor@kcstar.com
http://www.kansascity.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/red-zone/article171954977.html

The key plays, stats and grades from the Kansas City Chiefs’ 42-27 win over the New England Patriots on Thursday at Gillette Stadium.

The recap
Player of the game: Chiefs quarterback Alex Smith was outstanding, completing 28 of 35 passes for 368 yards and four touchdowns. He connected on a pair of 70-yard passes, which has been a major knock against him in his career.

Reason to hope: The Chiefs showed a tremendous amount of mental toughness early, when they mounted a red-zone stand after a Kareem Hunt fumble and came right back to tie the score at 7-7. That gave the entire team some much-needed momentum and snuffed out whatever “blowout” vibes some may have started to feel. The Chiefs went on to hand the Patriots only their second loss at home to an AFC opponent since 2007. Wow.

Reason to mope: There were way, way, way too many penalties on the Chiefs — 13 for 124 yards by the fourth quarter, compared to only five for the Patriots. The Chiefs ended up with 15 penalties for 139 yards. Being that undisciplined in Foxborough is hardly ideal. Also, safety Eric Berry left was carted off with an Achilles’ injury — never good.

Looking ahead: The Chiefs will have an extended weekend to review the film and get back to work early next week. On Sept. 17, they play host to the Philadelphia Eagles and former Andy Reid protege Doug Pederson for a noon tilt at Arrowhead Stadium.

Report card

A
Rushing offense: The Patriots surrendered 88.6 yards per game on the ground last year, which ranked third in the league. Rookie running back Kareem Hunt fumbled on his first career carry, which obviously wasn’t ideal. But overall, he showed power and burst, and later scored his first two career NFL touchdowns as he racked up 148 yards in 17 carries. Big night for Hunt and the Chiefs’ offensive line.

A
Passing offense: The Patriots ranked 12th in pass defense last year, surrendering 237.9 yards per game through the air. Quarterback Alex Smith had an efficient first half, completing 16 of 19 passes for 128 yards and two touchdowns. There weren’t many explosive plays, but there were plenty of solid gains in the short-to-intermediate range. Smith also uncorked a great deep throw to receiver Tyreek Hill in the third quarter for an eye-popping 75-yard touchdown, and another to Hunt for a 78-yard touchdown. The Chiefs racked up 368 passing yards, and Smith was awesome. Hunt was also devastating in the passing game, catching five passes for 98 yards and two touchdowns.

B
Rushing defense: The Patriots ranked seventh in rushing offense last year, with an average of 117 yards per game. The Chiefs held Mike Gillislee and James White to 83 yards in 25 carries, though they did score three touchdowns.

A
Passing defense: The Patriots ranked fourth in passing defense last year, yielding an average of 269.3 yards per game. They fared about as well as can be expected against Tom Brady in the first half, limiting him to a 9-of-17 performance for 131 yards and zero touchdowns. Cornerback Terrance Mitchell had his struggles, being whistled for three defensive penalties in the first 37 minutes of the game. All of them came on drives that led to points. The defensive backs also surrendered a long completion to speedy receiver Brandon Cooks that led to points. But Brady only completed 16 of 36 passes for 267 yards in the game. Not bad at all.

C
Special teams: De’Anthony Thomas had two nice kick returns in the first half for an average of 30 yards, but an ill-fated decision on one in the second half cost the Chiefs field position. Punter Dustin Colquitt dropped a pair of punts inside the 20 in the first half. The Chiefs’ kick-coverage unit did a nice job against the Patriots’ returners. But there weren’t a ton of standout plays either way, at least to the naked eye.

A
Coaching: Chiefs coach Andy Reid opened up the offensive playbook in the first half, using multiple personnel groupings and some new wrinkles to score 14 points before the break. And after a rough start to the game, defensive coordinator Bob Sutton’s unit largely steadied. Winning in New England is a tall task — especially with the number of penalties they had — but the Chiefs were in this one all the way after a shaky start, and pulled off a massive win that put the entire league on notice.

Terez A. Paylor: 816-234-4489,
@TerezPaylor. Download Red Zone Extra,
The Star's Chiefs app.

Pasta Little Brioni
09-07-2017, 11:49 PM
Incredible effort

Rasputin
09-07-2017, 11:50 PM
A+ would watch again

Frazod
09-07-2017, 11:51 PM
A+ would watch again

THIS!

BWillie
09-07-2017, 11:52 PM
The best thing about this victory is we did it by forcing ZERO turnovers. If you would have asked me before the game if the Chiefs could force ZERO turnovers and win, I would have said it was damn near impossible. That is what our defense is built on. We had a fumble on the 1st possession of the game and gifted the Pats seven. Then we destroyed those fucking dickheads in every phase of the game. Okay, except special teams. But who fucking cares about special teams. It's special teams.

Rasputin
09-08-2017, 12:02 AM
We got all weekend to gloat in front of the NFL and the pundits can all kiss our ass.

Pasta Little Brioni
09-08-2017, 12:26 AM
No turnovers forced. Minus 100 yards in penalties. Outplayed on special teams. Not a fluke.

OldSchool
09-08-2017, 12:27 AM
First time they put up this many points with pure offensive effort.

YayMike
09-08-2017, 05:31 AM

I was thinking this all last night. The prior years when we put up 30 (not even 40) we had a ST and/or a Defensive TD. This was a flawless game plan from Andy Reid all the way around.

Coogs
09-08-2017, 05:34 AM
A+ would watch again

Absolutely! Hope to see that again in 10 days. Arrowhead should be rocking!

Hoover
09-08-2017, 05:38 AM
Gillisee doesn't rush for three TDs if pass interference calls putting the ball on the goal line doesn't happen. I was overall pleased with the rush D

Great Expectations
09-08-2017, 05:41 AM
Referees - F

ChiTown
09-08-2017, 05:55 AM
They went into NE and completely took their crowd out of the game in the 2nd half. That was a huge game on a big night in Bean Town. Fuck Behhhhhhhston.

TEX
09-08-2017, 06:40 AM

Yep. Thought about that myself after the game.

Rausch
09-08-2017, 08:31 AM
A
Coaching: Chiefs coach Andy Reid opened up the offensive playbook in the first half, using multiple personnel groupings and some new wrinkles to score 14 points before the break. And after a rough start to the game, defensive coordinator Bob Sutton’s unit largely steadied. Winning in New England is a tall task — especially with the number of penalties they had — but the Chiefs were in this one all the way after a shaky start, and pulled off a massive win that put the entire league on notice.

Big deal here.

No stupid coaching decisions. No outlandish trick plays.

No calling 4 bubble screens a drive. We went after NE.

Great day from the coaches as well...

O.city
09-08-2017, 08:33 AM
Andy schematically was unreal last night

Dude is a legit offensive mind. Like, one of the best in NFL history

Hydrae
09-08-2017, 08:58 AM
The best thing about this victory is we did it by forcing ZERO turnovers. If you would have asked me before the game if the Chiefs could force ZERO turnovers and win, I would have said it was damn near impossible. That is what our defense is built on. We had a fumble on the 1st possession of the game and gifted the Pats seven. Then we destroyed those ****ing dickheads in every phase of the game. Okay, except special teams. But who ****ing cares about special teams. It's special teams.

All the doubters have been saying that we can only win with scoring from the defense and special teams. I guess we can put that argument to rest now.

Rausch
09-08-2017, 09:01 AM
All the doubters have been saying that we can only win with scoring from the defense and special teams. I guess we can put that argument to rest now.

We did this last night WITHOUT a turnover and without a special teams score.

Oh, the places we'll go...

lcarus
09-08-2017, 09:03 AM
We got all weekend to gloat in front of the NFL and the pundits can all kiss our ass.

Woke up this morning to the 2 sports stations here talking about SEC football and LeBron James. Figures.

Mike in SW-MO
09-08-2017, 09:08 AM
Woke up this morning to the 2 sports stations here talking about SEC football and LeBron James. Figures.

I got all Ezekial.

Halfcan
09-08-2017, 09:14 AM
Andy - A. He out coached the Hoodie.

Alex - A. Played his best game ever.

Hunt - A. Record breaking debut.

Hill - A. The guy is electrifying.

Kelce- F. Pimp suit wearing idiot.

Graystoke
09-08-2017, 09:18 AM
Andy - A. He out coached the Hoodie.

Alex - A. Played his best game ever.

Hunt - A. Record breaking debut.

Hill - A. The guy is electrifying.

Kelce- F. Pimp suit wearing idiot.

THIS.
Kelce needs to grow up and think about the team goals. His penalty killed that drive. All seems to be forgiven since we won, and in good fashion. But this cant happen anymore.

The Franchise
09-08-2017, 09:18 AM
I love the hate on Kelce. :rolleyes:

Halfcan
09-08-2017, 09:21 AM
THIS.
Kelce needs to grow up and think about the team goals. His penalty killed that drive. All seems to be forgiven since we won, and in good fashion. But this cant happen anymore.

In the pregame interview wearing his pimp suit- he said he wants to be the best- well Harris is playing like the Best on the team while Kelce shows he has learned Nothing from his sorry ass performance during the Steelers game. Shoving the football in a guys groin on the biggest stage in the NFL with the Comish in the stands was beyond stupid. He will be getting a fine. Kelce also dropped a Big pass that hit his hands- a drive killer - yes the defender had good coverage but it should have been a catch. What a dumb fuck. :rolleyes:

Halfcan
09-08-2017, 09:23 AM

He deserves it. That penalty was a killer and also very stupid. He killed us in the Steelers game and almost blew this one for us.

Graystoke
09-08-2017, 09:25 AM

Its not hate. That was a stupid move. He has made them before.
He needs to stop

Radar Chief
09-08-2017, 09:39 AM
A+ would watch again

Got it recorded, will watch again tonight.
What else is on, the Royals?

The Franchise
09-08-2017, 09:43 AM
Its not hate. That was a stupid move. He has made them before.
He needs to stop

He's also made big plays. You take the good with the bad. I'm sure Reid was on his ass last night after the game.

RINGLEADER
09-08-2017, 10:13 AM
Big deal here.

No stupid coaching decisions. No outlandish trick plays.

No calling 4 bubble screens a drive. We went after NE.

Great day from the coaches as well...

This. Was a great effort.

I think Andy replaced the WR screen with the TE shovel pass last night. It mostly worked for 5-7 yards every try as well.