PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Eric Berry didn't even tear the Achilles on the same heel that was bothering him

pugsnotdrugs19
09-09-2017, 08:44 PM
Thought this was very significant, just read this story from Terez Paylor that states Berry tore his left Achilles tendon. The heel that was bothering him in training camp and back in January was his right heel.

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/article172336702.html

He [Terrell] will now take the roster spot of Berry, who ruptured his left Achilles tendon in the Chiefs’ season-opening win over New England. Berry, interesting enough, had been dealing with a sore right Achilles throughout camp.

Wow. Sounds like it may have been an overcompensation injury then.

OldSchool
09-09-2017, 08:45 PM
Yeah, possibly.

BWillie
09-09-2017, 08:45 PM
Pretty hard to come out of cancer treatment, even years later and not be injury prone. That shit takes alot out of a man.

Hammock Parties
09-09-2017, 08:46 PM
His body is a wreck, honestly. He's taken a shitload of punishment in his college and pro careers.

I really think he is just about done being an elite player.

bigjosh
09-09-2017, 08:47 PM
His body is a wreck, honestly. He's taken a shitload of punishment in his college and pro careers.

Im not going to say you are wrong, but i really hope you are wrong. That dude was one of the only reasons this team was watchable in the dark days.

pugsnotdrugs19
09-09-2017, 08:51 PM
I just want the guy to be here and contribute to winning a Super Bowl. If any player deserves it, its Berry.

DaneMcCloud
09-09-2017, 08:52 PM
Well, that's not good.

BryanBusby
09-09-2017, 08:52 PM
oh hell

TrebMaxx
09-09-2017, 08:54 PM
Berry can still be a leader on the sidelines and I bet he will be.

Chiefspants
09-09-2017, 08:54 PM

Maybe obvious troll, but the fact that he was still playing at an elite level gives me hope that this time off will help his body heal.

Remember, he came back the season directly AFTER having cancer. He likely never had the time he needed to recover.

TigeRRUppeRRcut
09-09-2017, 09:02 PM
It's a long-shot but Berry should do the right thing in the offseason, re-structure that contract and help the team out. Dorsey was throwing around bags of cash in the offseason like a drunk Jamaal Charles at a strip club.

TEX
09-09-2017, 09:03 PM

DUMB.

TigeRRUppeRRcut
09-09-2017, 09:03 PM
His body has aged from the chemotherapy. what a 35 year old experiences in the aging process, is what we are seeing him go thru as a 28 year old.

Titty Meat
09-09-2017, 09:05 PM

Any proof? He's played the best in his career the past few yeaes.

Baby Lee
09-09-2017, 09:06 PM

You truly are doing the Lord's work. :thumb:

TigeRRUppeRRcut
09-09-2017, 09:06 PM
Any proof? He's played the best in his career the past few yeaes.

Honestly, Berry was medicore in a lot of games last season but he was clutch/elite in a handful of important ones which is what people only want to remember. His 2015 season was practically forgettable.

pugsnotdrugs19
09-09-2017, 09:08 PM
Generational safeties have typically played great into their early to mid 30s. I would never bet against Berry. He's got a lot in the tank.

pugsnotdrugs19
09-09-2017, 09:08 PM
Honestly, Berry was medicore in a lot of games last season but he was clutch/elite in a handful of important ones which is what people only want to remember. His 2015 season was practically forgettable.

The guy routinely was the main factor in our defense shutting down tight ends.

TigeRRUppeRRcut
09-09-2017, 09:10 PM
I grow old of people acting like he's Earl Thomas. He's nowhere near as consistent as Earl. And he sure shouldn't have been paid like he is.

Take off the homer glasses, folks.

His performance on Thursday was probably his best game outside of the Falcons game last season. Which surprised me considering he got his ass handed to him in that playoff game in Foxboro 20 months ago.

I can't count many blunders that no one wants to talk about. The one that upset me the most was not recognizing Houston on an island against Antonio Brown. Or how he left the middle field open for Delanie Walker, twice playing off more than 20 yards from where he needed to be, on the final drive to allow the Titans to hit the game winner on us.

RunKC
09-09-2017, 09:11 PM
I just want the guy to be here and contribute to winning a Super Bowl. If any player deserves it, its DJ.

Fixed

pugsnotdrugs19
09-09-2017, 09:12 PM
I grow old of people acting like he's Earl Thomas. He's nowhere near as consistent as Earl. And he sure shouldn't have been paid like he is.

His performance on Thursday was probably his best game outside of the Falcons game last season. Which surprised me considering he got his ass handed to him in that playoff game in Foxboro 20 months ago.

He's not Earl Thomas because they don't play the same roles.. no way in hell Thomas can man up the best tight ends in the league like EB does consistently. No f**kin' way.

pugsnotdrugs19
09-09-2017, 09:12 PM
Fixed
Yeah.... can't go wrong there

Chiefspants
09-09-2017, 09:13 PM

I can't count many blunders that no one wants to talk about. The one that upset me the most was not recognizing Houston on an island against Antonio Brown. Or how he left the middle field open for Delanie Walker, twice playing off more than 20 yards from where he needed to be, on the final drive to allow the Titans to hit the game winner on us.

HE'S NOT RAY LEWIS GUYS SO HE DESERVES LIKE $5 A YEAR.

penbrook
09-09-2017, 09:14 PM
I would of said DJ and Tamba deserve it but fuck Tamba and his drama queen shit. DJ than Mr MVP Colquitt.

TigeRRUppeRRcut
09-09-2017, 09:14 PM
Does anyone see Berry? Walker makes that catch right at the FG target line and Berry was still somehow 10-15 yards away from the ball. Situational awareness fail.

https://image.ibb.co/mJXb9F/Whereis_Berry.png

Chiefspants
09-09-2017, 09:16 PM
Does anyone see Berry? Walker makes that catch right at the FG target line and Berry was still somehow 10-15 yards away from the ball. Situational awareness fail.

Are we isolating single plays now?

How did Alex do in the red zone in that one?

ThaVirus
Earl Thomas has never allowed a big gain. Ever.

TigeRRUppeRRcut
He's not Earl Thomas because they don't play the same roles.. no way in hell Thomas can man up the best tight ends in the league like EB does consistently. No f**kin' way.

Earl Thomas is a Free Safety, are you ignoring his elite level of play for the last 5 years? No GM is taking Berry over Thomas. No one.

penbrook
Earl Thomas has never allowed a big gain. Ever.

ROFL

Pasta Little Brioni
09-09-2017, 09:17 PM
Tigger, that is fucking retarded

penbrook
09-09-2017, 09:18 PM
Earl Thomas is a Free Safety, are you ignoring his elite level of play for the last 5 years? No GM is taking Berry over Thomas. No one.

The dedication to the game Berry has Thomas beat. Berry came back from cancer and was better than ever. Thomas broke his leg and entertained Retirement

NJChiefsFan
09-09-2017, 09:19 PM
Are we isolating single plays now?

How did Alex do in the red zone in that one?

If it was a bad play for Alex you need to remember "it's a team game."

If it was a good play for Alex you need to remember those results are all on him.

pugsnotdrugs19
09-09-2017, 09:19 PM

My point is that Earl is strictly a FS while Berry does everything. He can play single high. He can rove in the middle (see ATL pick-six). He can man up any position, especially TEs. He could play linebacker better than most in the NFL.

You have no idea who a GM would take. That's all scheme dependent. Personally, I'll take the guy who is far more versatile. It's Berry.

TigeRRUppeRRcut
09-09-2017, 09:20 PM
https://image.ibb.co/npUTOa/Whereis_Berry_Antonio_Brown.png

Someone please tell me how on 3rd and 10 as a FREE SAFETY you don't have your eyes on Antonio Brown. especially when god damn justin houston has moved out wide to protect him.

I'll wait.

RunKC
09-09-2017, 09:20 PM

That play was on Parker, not Berry. God you're stupid

penbrook
09-09-2017, 09:21 PM

Someone please tell me how on 3rd and 10 as a FREE SAFETY you don't have your eyes on Antonio Brown. especially when god damn justin houston has moved out wide to protect him.

I'll wait.

Berry is a SS!!

TigeRRUppeRRcut
09-09-2017, 09:23 PM
The dedication to the game Berry has Thomas beat. Berry came back from cancer and was better than ever. Thomas broke his leg and entertained Retirement

Berry came back from cancer better than ever?
Child. Please.

His best seasons were the years immediately after the draft.

Tombstone RJ
09-09-2017, 09:24 PM
Bummer for you guys, Berry was dominant in that win. Injuries suck.

pugsnotdrugs19
09-09-2017, 09:24 PM
Child. Please.

LMAO LMAO LMAO

THAT is easily one of your dumbest quotes to date on here. Wow.

penbrook
09-09-2017, 09:26 PM
Child. Please.

Don't know if serious or just trolling

BWillie
09-09-2017, 09:27 PM
LMAO LMAO LMAO

THAT is easily one of your dumbest quotes to date on here. Wow.

Not really. Makes sense. It's just an uncomfortable reality.

Nickhead
09-09-2017, 09:27 PM
if anything, berry put additional strain on his good leg to compensate for the heel, therefore overworking and tearing the achilles. :D

penbrook
09-09-2017, 09:29 PM
if anything, berry put additional strain on his good leg to compensate for the heel, therefore overworking and tearing the achilles. :D

At least his heel and Achilles will be 100% next season

pugsnotdrugs19
09-09-2017, 09:31 PM
Not really. Makes sense. It's just an uncomfortable reality.

Berry was clearly a better player in '15 and '16 than he ever was before. Not that he was bad before, but he definitely wasn't as good.

TigeRRUppeRRcut
09-09-2017, 09:33 PM
Berry is a SS!!

No. He transitioned to the Free Safety role to give Parker the SS position.
Although, Sutton doesn't employ a traditional 3-4 scheme, he's constantly changing up looks and loves his Dime package with Sorensen as his third safety.

penbrook
09-09-2017, 09:33 PM
Berry was clearly a better player in '15 and '16 than he ever was before. Not that he was bad before, but he definitely wasn't as good.

Yep he was named All Pro in both those years. And All Pros are what matters not Pro bowls.

Hammock Parties
09-09-2017, 09:34 PM
That dude was one of the only reasons this team was watchable in the dark days.

Not really.

He was drafted in 2010 and the Chiefs were good that year.

In 2011 he gets hurt. 2012 I don't think he was quite right and the Chiefs sucked ass.

2013 to present the Chiefs have been good and Berry has been kicking ass most of that time.

When Berry is around and playing like Berry the Chiefs don't have dark days.

I really think he is the Chiefs MVP.

TigeRRUppeRRcut
09-09-2017, 09:35 PM
My point is that Earl is strictly a FS while Berry does everything. He can play single high. He can rove in the middle (see ATL pick-six). He can man up any position, especially TEs. He could play linebacker better than most in the NFL.

You have no idea who a GM would take. That's all scheme dependent. Personally, I'll take the guy who is far more versatile. It's Berry.

Berry is a jack of all trades but in a traditional vanilla scheme or a cover 2, Earl Thomas wins. Hands down. Sutton's creativity can make Berry look elite but also a dud at times.

Hammock Parties
09-09-2017, 09:36 PM

Tiger is now trolling an Eric Berry thread two days after a season-ending injury.

Uh, mods?

TigeRRUppeRRcut
09-09-2017, 09:39 PM
That play was on Parker, not Berry. God you're stupid

Absolutely not. Berry should be the guy to intervene on any inside-breaking route from his position.

penbrook
09-09-2017, 09:39 PM
Tiger is a Alex Smith homer but a Berry hater hmm

TigeRRUppeRRcut
09-09-2017, 09:40 PM
Tiger is now trolling an Eric Berry thread two days after a season-ending injury.

Uh, mods?

Go **** yourself. you were the one trolling the GDT.
He's a homer! -> troll
He's being objective and provides facts and debunks this myth that EB is a SS -> trolling

This is football talk, step aside and make your gifs, child.

TigeRRUppeRRcut
09-09-2017, 09:42 PM
Tiger is a Alex Smith homer but a Berry hater hmm

I just said he played one of his best games of the season. Because I'm not on his **** calling him the ultimatest safety to grace planet earth doesn't make me a hater. Dumbass. Do you want to explain the Steelers coverage blunder or will you concede he messed up as a FREE safety?

TigeRRUppeRRcut
09-09-2017, 09:50 PM

I'd take his 2010/13 over his last 2 seasons. But that's just my opinion.

RunKC
09-09-2017, 09:54 PM
Absolutely not. Berry should be the guy to intervene on any inside-breaking route from his position.

Yup you're football stupid.

Defensive alignment is clearly single high and there are 4 receivers. Here's a newsflash: our DC likes to play man coverage. A lot.

penbrook
09-09-2017, 09:55 PM

The All Pro awards seem to disagree with you

TigeRRUppeRRcut
09-09-2017, 10:01 PM
The All Pro awards seem to disagree with you

The same All-pro team Earl Thomas made 4 times?

Chiefspants
09-09-2017, 10:03 PM

This sounds liek the analysis of someone who didn't watch the team in 2010.

Pants
09-09-2017, 10:07 PM

I think we are actually on the cusp of seeing elite athletes maintain their peaks for much longer.

The advancement in therapies and treatments in the last couple of years has made some huge leaps.

TigeRRUppeRRcut
09-09-2017, 10:09 PM
This sounds liek the analysis of someone who didn't watch the team in 2010.

If I could have Eric Berry in his traditional strong safety role (clearly, EB can handle tight ends) and put any average or above average joe at Free Safety, I would take it in a heart beat. And this board knows I love me some Ron Parker.

The consistency is just not there in his current role.

kcchiefsus
09-09-2017, 10:09 PM
We've had really shitty luck with signing defenders to huge contracts and them having season ending injuries and not being able to live up to the contract.

kcxiv
09-09-2017, 10:14 PM
Pretty hard to come out of cancer treatment, even years later and not be injury prone. That shit takes alot out of a man.

anyone can tear their achillies by simply walking up stairs. It goes when it goes.

MeatRock
09-09-2017, 10:48 PM
Agree with OP.
Kinda seems like Berry might have been overcompensating for the bum heel a bit with the other leg after hearing that news. Sucks!

Nickhead
09-09-2017, 10:51 PM

Agree with OP.
Kinda seems like Berry might have been overcompensating for the bum heel a bit with the other leg after hearing that news. Sucks!

:thumb:

Cornstock
09-10-2017, 12:34 AM
Berry's greatest attribute is, and always will be his heart and motor. It's Ray Lewis-esque. He simply wants it more than the other guy. That kind of drive will help him play well as his body is failing him.

DJ is similar in that regard. Despite multiple setback, if he mentally wants to continue, he will. An average man would have thrown in the towel after a season ending injury. And then cancer. Coming back twice, and going to be 3 times, his constitution is that of a hall of famer.

He just needs his body to hold up to reach that level.

ThaVirus
09-10-2017, 12:52 AM
Child. Please.

You couldn't be more wrong and that's not surprising.

penbrook
09-10-2017, 01:03 AM
Btw DJ Was second on the team with 8 tackles. Parker led the team with 11

OldSchool
09-10-2017, 01:21 AM
Berry's greatest attribute is, and always will be his heart and motor. It's Ray Lewis-esque. He simply wants it more than the other guy. That kind of drive will help him play well as his body is failing him.

DJ is similar in that regard. Despite multiple setback, if he mentally wants to continue, he will. An average man would have thrown in the towel after a season ending injury. And then cancer. Coming back twice, and going to be 3 times, his constitution is that of a hall of famer.

He just needs his body to hold up to reach that level.
Always saw him as the next Brian Dawkins in that respect, the heart of a defense from the safety position.

TimBone
09-10-2017, 01:23 AM
I mean...we could ban Tiger from the thread...but he just sounds so silly. Why bother?

threebag
09-10-2017, 07:57 AM

Uh, mods?

GTFO you dumb fucking piece of troll shit. You need flushed more than anyone even dickscrammedin

PAChiefsGuy
09-10-2017, 08:04 AM
GTFO you dumb ****ing piece of troll shit. You need flushed more than anyone even dickscrammedin

Agreed. The guy talks about how he hopes Smitty gets hurt before the season starts and now he wants to act all holy. F*** him.

Sandy Vagina
09-10-2017, 08:08 AM
If it was a bad play for Alex you need to remember "it's a team game."

If it was a good play for Alex you need to remember those results are all on him.

wtf are u doing? are u kidding me? You too? Aw man, this place is really ****ed if even the folks like you are getting this way. Really disappointing. :facepalm:

Sandy Vagina
09-10-2017, 08:12 AM
I just said he played one of his best games of the season. Because I'm not on his **** calling him the ultimatest safety to grace planet earth doesn't make me a hater. Dumbass. Do you want to explain the Steelers coverage blunder or will you concede he messed up as a FREE safety?

I hear what you're saying, and you are not ENTIRELY wrong... but you ARE wrong to think you can say anything like this about Berry and not have holy hell reign down upon you. Not with Berry being Berry, AND being badly injured so recently.

It's just not a battle worth fighting, bro.

BossChief
09-10-2017, 08:34 AM

Proof of exactly how bad at this you truly are.

Just, wow.

Berrys 2016 was one of the best seasons for a safety in the history of the league.

SAUTO
09-10-2017, 08:43 AM
wtf are u doing? are u kidding me? You too? Aw man, this place is really ****ed if even the folks like you are getting this way. Really disappointing. :facepalm:

He's spot on though.

The Bad Guy
09-10-2017, 08:48 AM
It's a long-shot but Berry should do the right thing in the offseason, re-structure that contract and help the team out. Dorsey was throwing around bags of cash in the offseason like a drunk Jamaal Charles at a strip club.

It's also fucking stupid.

"Do the right thing".

That's not the right thing, you asshole.

The Bad Guy
09-10-2017, 08:50 AM
If you'd take Berry's 10-13 seasons over the last 2, this proves that you really truly are fucking as dumb as everyone has said you were for years.

You have zero idea what you're watching when you're watching football.

TigeRRUppeRRcut
09-10-2017, 09:08 AM
If you'd take Berry's 10-13 seasons over the last 2, this proves that you really truly are ****ing as dumb as everyone has said you were for years.

You have zero idea what you're watching when you're watching football.

Proof of exactly how bad at this you truly are.

Just, wow.

Berrys 2016 was one of the best seasons for a safety in the history of the league.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/eric-weddle-ranked-as-nfls-best-safety-by-pro-football-focus/
https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-top-101-players-from-the-2016-nfl-season
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000833291/article/2017-allpro-team-projections
https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-pff-2016-midseason-awards

2016 was his best season of the last 3 years, sure. But did you even watch football in 2016? Eric Weddle??? Landon Collins?? Earl Thomas is easily top 40 overall in the league when his leg isn't broken.

TigeRRUppeRRcut
09-10-2017, 09:09 AM
Unless his stride looked completely uneven it is highly doubtful he was compensating for his opposite achilles leading to this injury.

TigeRRUppeRRcut
09-10-2017, 09:19 AM
I've read studies before done on NBA players and the mean age of achilles injury is something close to around 30. haven't come across anything on NFL players tho but I'm sure someone has aggregated the data.

TigeRRUppeRRcut
09-10-2017, 09:24 AM
I mean...we could ban Tiger from the thread...but he just sounds so silly. Why bother?

So offering perspective is being silly? It's clear people on CP know very little about players outside of the Chiefs (when they aren't too busy confusing Hunts and realizing Chase Daniel's' is not even the roster). One poster just said Eric is a SS when he's only in the box 20% of the time. What the hell are these people watching?

It's amazing how disconnected posters are. Or how they've forgotten about the Eric Berry thread where many posters were saying he got overpaid on his new contract.

ThaVirus
09-10-2017, 09:41 AM
Berry in 2010 was generally just flashing potential. He looked great for a rookie safety but his coverage skills left a lot to be desired. Antonio Gates made him his bitch whenever we played the Chargers. And he didn't even record his first INT until like week 12 or something, IIRC.

2016 Berry was a ****ing monster in the run game and in pass coverage. He just locked Gronk down for an entire game and no one on the team lays wood like he does.

RunKC
09-10-2017, 09:41 AM
If there was ever a time for Berry to be hurt due to financial, it's this year. He's only counting $5 million to the cap.

We can't get out of Berry's contract until 2021. Dorsey messed that contract up as well.

TigeRRUppeRRcut
09-10-2017, 09:43 AM
Berry in 2010 was generally just flashing potential. He looked great for a rookie safety but his coverage skills left a lot to be desired. Antonio Gates made him his bitch whenever we played the Chargers. And he didn't even record his first INT until like week 12 or something, IIRC.

2016 Berry was a ****ing monster in the run game and in pass coverage. He just locked Gronk down for an entire game and no one on the team lays wood like he does.

I argue he had an equally bad game as Smith in the Pittsburgh game. He was also abused in the Pats game in 2016. Thursday night was a special performance by him.

The Bad Guy
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/eric-weddle-ranked-as-nfls-best-safety-by-pro-football-focus/
https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-top-101-players-from-the-2016-nfl-season
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000833291/article/2017-allpro-team-projections
https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-pff-2016-midseason-awards

2016 was his best season of the last 3 years, sure. But did you even watch football in 2016? Eric Weddle??? Landon Collins?? Earl Thomas is easily top 40 overall in the league when his leg isn't broken.

How about you use your eyes you dumb bastard? This has NOTHING to do with other players. You compared Berry to himself in 2010-2013 and the last 2.

I'm not taking any safety over Eric Berry the last 2 years. I don't need your bullshit links - I watch football. It's obvious you know nothing of what you're watching.

ThaVirus
If there was ever a time for Berry to be hurt due to financial, it's this year. He's only counting $5 million to the cap.

We can't get out of Berry's contract until 2021. Dorsey messed that contract up as well.

What should he have done differently?

Rausch
09-10-2017, 09:45 AM

Do IR players count against the cap?

I know they still get paid but doesn't the team get a pro-rated cap number after a guy is placed on IR?...

TigeRRUppeRRcut
09-10-2017, 09:45 AM
What should he have done differently?

He should have locked Berry and Houston much much earlier than he did. And you know, not show his hand by going to the media saying they were going to "do everything possible to keep him a Chief for life". Hard to drive negotiations when you've given his agent the keys to the car.

TigeRRUppeRRcut
09-10-2017, 09:47 AM
How about you use your eyes you dumb bastard? This has NOTHING to do with other players. You compared Berry to himself in 2010-2013 and the last 2.

I'm not taking any safety over Eric Berry the last 2 years. I don't need your bullshit links - I watch football. It's obvious you know nothing of what you're watching.

Expert opinion versus your homer glasses? Got it.

Yes, the guy who predicted Kareem would be an absolute beast in the NFL has no idea what he's talking about.
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showpost.php?p=12848276&postcount=157
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showpost.php?p=12883931&postcount=320

ROFL