PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Mellinger: A different Chiefs team, and season, from here until the end

Hammock Parties
09-10-2017, 09:17 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/sam-mellinger/article172304402.html

FOXBOROUGH, Mass.

They left this place a fundamentally different team than they arrived. They left this place toward a fundamentally different season than the one anyone expected.

The Chiefs did what nobody had done before, and what nobody expected them to do. They beat the Patriots, the dynastic Patriots, ending talk of 16-0 before it even reached 1-0.

For long enough that by now it feels like forever, it has been understood by the Chiefs and everyone else that the only realistic chance to represent the AFC in the Super Bowl is with home-field advantage.

The Patriots are 17-3 in home playoff games with Tom Brady, and 3-3 on the road. Since Brady became the Patriots’ quarterback in 2001, every AFC champion but one has either been his team, or not had to play his team at Gillette Stadium.

Well, even months before TV screens fill with playoff positioning, the Chiefs made undeniable progress toward the AFC playoffs going through Kansas City. The Chiefs play in the conference’s toughest division. That means a rougher climb than the Patriots or the Steelers, the two teams most often cited as the best in the AFC, at least at the beginning of the week.

But they just won the toughest game on the schedule, and if we’re being honest, the toughest game on any NFL team’s schedule. It remains possible the Patriots will not lose another home game, and if they do it remains irrefutable that no other team can claim to have beaten the Patriots on Ring Night, in front of Roger Goodell and one of the rowdiest crowds the NFL is capable of.

If the Chiefs are capable of this, particularly without the flawless performance we’ve been taught is required to win here, then what can’t they do? They have not lost a division game since September 2015, and play the Steelers at Arrowhead next month.

No league in American sports moves as fast as the NFL, and in the span of one night, the Chiefs’ challenge went from beating a dynasty on its night of coronation to handling success.

The Chiefs may or may not be the new favorite in the AFC. We can all have different views, and none of them are particularly important. But this team is the talk of the league at the moment, and not just because of its nationally televised conquest.

The reasons stretch beyond one win in a season that’s barely started. Eric Berry is out for the year, his somber entrance to an otherwise happy locker room the other night a reminder that success did not come without price.

His Achilles’ tendon ruptured, an especially cruel injury for a man who only last season returned after beating cancer, and for a team that has now lost three players to four different Achilles ruptures in the last four seasons.

Berry is the rare talent whose loss could be enough to swing a game or two. The Chiefs certainly would not have won in Atlanta last year without him, and probably not at Carolina.

He was somehow better after chemotherapy than before. Faster, smarter, perhaps even more consumed by his work. There is no way a man doesn’t change through fighting cancer. Some in Berry’s position may’ve returned and been less engaged in playing a sport. For Berry, he seemed struck with a renewed obsession of making every moment matter.

He was better than ever last year, earning a six-year, $78 million contract ($40 million guaranteed), and handcuffed the Patriots by defending star tight end Rob Gronkowski better than they’re accustomed to seeing.

But for all of his football talent, Berry is more respected by his teammates as a man. The quarterback is supposed to be the leader, and Alex Smith does that well, but he also calls Berry the team’s heart. More than any other player or coach, Berry has Marcus Peters’ respect, the one best equipped to keep the wildly talented — and that description is intentional — cornerback focused.

The Chiefs will ask more from Eric Murray, and Daniel Sorensen, and others. They have an extra three days now to prepare for their next game without Berry, and virtually an entire season to figure out the path for the playoffs. Berry had been on the injury report because of a heel ailment, so it’s possible the coaches are not entirely surprised.

This is a cold way of viewing it, but following the NFL often requires a cold view, so it’s worth pointing out that Berry is not the team’s most irreplaceable player.

Justin Houston’s injuries have spotlighted the importance of a pass rush, and he is also one of the team’s best run defenders. The Chiefs can still have a great defense without Berry. The same thing can’t be said about Houston.

Peters is already one of the best in the NFL at what he does, playing by definition a more important position than Berry’s. Brady threw Peters’ way just once the other night, a sound strategy with the Chiefs’ lack of cornerback depth.

Tyreek Hill is the deep threat coach Andy Reid has not had since DeSean Jackson in Philadelphia, and that the Chiefs haven’t had since, well, maybe ever. He is terrific with the screens and gadget stuff Reid likes to run, and his downfield speed makes everyone else more effective with the short and intermediate stuff.

Travis Kelce is another versatile mismatch, a tight end who’s able to beat cornerbacks, and a former quarterback who took a direct snap against New England. He and Hill make each other more effective, a symbiotic partnership of two perfectly complementary parts that would be greatly diminished without without the other.

Particularly after what might be the best game of his professional life, you might add Smith to this list of players the Chiefs would be worser without than Berry. It is often said that professional football carries a 100 percent injury rate, and one of the ways Super Bowl teams separate from Super Bowl posers is by absorbing these inevitable setbacks. The Patriots once won 11 games without Tom Brady, for crying out loud, and last year won the Super Bowl without Gronkowski.

Kelce will be asked — that’s the nice way of putting it — to make sure he’s present for this team, too. His entire football life — literally, going back to at least high school — has reinforced a reputation as a terrific talent who at some point will lose his damn mind during a game.

He’s been lucky. The Chiefs have, too. At least so far. He has pantomimed lewd self-pleasure, mocked an official by throwing a towel at him, mindlessly pushed an opponent in a tight playoff game, and against the Patriots shoved a ball into a linebacker’s swimsuit region. He’s been fined or flagged or both for all of it, and at each point a teammate or circumstance has covered for him.

It does not matter than none of these moments have been unprovoked, that, in order: the Broncos were acting like pirates, the official missed a pass interference, the Steelers’ defensive back shoved him first, and the Patriots’ linebacker deliberately forearmed Kelce’s face mask while getting up.

Kelce is well past the point of no return with this stuff. More than anyone else on the Chiefs, and virtually anyone else in the league, he’s the one officials will watch and opponents will provoke.

This is not a statement about Kelce’s leadership, even though it’s an awful look that the nationally televised broadcast began with his interview claiming maturity and then predictably progressed to his teammates needing to pick him up after a taunting penalty. He’s emotional, and the NFL is a little full of itself with a lot of this stuff.

But at some point, without better self-control, Kelce’s outbursts are going to tangibly affect the Chiefs’ chances to win a game. He’s too good a player for this, and genuinely cares too much about winning to let this go unchecked.

The stakes for him and his teammates have never been higher. This is the best Chiefs roster in years, maybe decades, and they just pulled off the franchise’s best win in the same time frame. More people than ever will be watching. That can be good, or it can be bad.

But either way, this is now a fundamentally different team playing a fundamentally different season.

RaidersOftheCellar
09-10-2017, 09:28 AM
Damn, it'd be great to start a dynasty and quiet all these rival dweebs about 1969. Tired of this franchise being mocked like its the Browns.

Maybe Thursday was a statement that the Belichick reign is over.

Whether we win any Superbowls is hard to project, but I'm confident that this will be one of the top teams in the AFC for years to come, and dominance isn't out of the realm of possiblity.

vailpass
09-10-2017, 09:32 AM
LMAO

TigeRRUppeRRcut
09-10-2017, 09:33 AM
But Clay said we are an 8-8 team that didn't make any upgrades

RunKC
09-10-2017, 09:34 AM
I'm not familiar with the new rules. Kelce got "strike" one and if he got another he'd be kicked out of the game right?

Does that transfer like soccer, meaning if Kelce fucks up one time he's booted, or does it start over in week 2 with him having 2 strikes again?

Rausch
09-10-2017, 09:34 AM
But Clay said we are an 8-8 team

11-5 is more likely...

Hammock Parties
09-10-2017, 09:35 AM
LMAO

What on earth are you laughing about?

Denver might want to try preventing their quarterbacks from getting turned into mincemeat for a third consecutive year. At least the Chiefs have that down...

vailpass
09-10-2017, 09:38 AM
What on earth are you laughing about?

Denver might want to try preventing their quarterbacks from getting turned into mincemeat for a third consecutive year. At least the Chiefs have that down...

LMAO

scho63
09-10-2017, 09:43 AM
A team that has lost 4 players to 4 different Achilles injuries in the last 3 years.

I hope our team isn't doing some new fangled exercise for calves or legs that is putting extra stress on player's Achilles. It is a real high number for one team, way out of any statistical explanation.

Rausch
09-10-2017, 09:43 AM
A team that has lost 4 players to 4 different Achilles injuries in the last 3 years.

I hope our team isn't doing some new fangled exercise for calves or legs that is putting extra stress on player's Achilles. It is a real high number for one team, way out of any statistical explanation.

I wondered about that the other day...

RaidersOftheCellar
09-10-2017, 09:50 AM
LMAO

This is a Denver fan?

Figures. Laughing while they can, knowing they have the worst future of any team in the division.

Lynch...Siemian...ROFL

But there's always that fixed SB from a few yrs back to relive again and again.

vailpass
09-10-2017, 09:54 AM
This is a Denver fan?

Figures. Laughing while they can, knowing they have the worst future of any team in the division.

Lynch...Siemian...ROFL

But there's always that fixed SB from a few yrs back to relive again and again.

I was laughing at goat cheese while you were still sucking your mother's dick.

Rausch
09-10-2017, 09:56 AM
I was laughing at goat cheese while you were still sucking your mother's dick.

I'm glad I wasn't there to see it...

BlackOp
09-10-2017, 10:11 AM
Failpass is getting his last chance at trash talk in for the season...you know, before reality sets in.

pugsnotdrugs19
09-10-2017, 10:20 AM
Damn, it'd be great to start a dynasty and quiet all these rival dweebs about 1969. Tired of this franchise being mocked like its the Browns.

Maybe Thursday was a statement that the Belichick reign is over.

Whether we win any Superbowls is hard to project, but I'm confident that this will be one of the top teams in the AFC for years to come, and dominance isn't out of the realm of possiblity.

I spoke on this the other day, and I think I there might be something there. We've been a winning team for the last four years, and we have a good chance to make it five. Tons of great players here, and a QBOTF in place who has elite potential.

I'm a homer, but the future seems bright as ever for the Chiefs.

pugsnotdrugs19
09-10-2017, 10:32 AM
Players aren't stupid, they see things probably much like fans do in terms of how an organization is being ran and what direction they are headed. The Chiefs' arrow has been up since 2013. They have few if any holes on the current roster. They have acquired a QBOTF who has likely earned players' respect with his play thus far, and he is in a great developmental situation.

I would think the energy in the building is at such a high right now, for the present and future.

fan4ever
09-10-2017, 10:35 AM
I spoke on this the other day, and I think I there might be something there. We've been a winning team for the last four years, and we have a good chance to make it five. Tons of great players here, and a QBOTF in place who has elite potential.

I'm a homer, but the future seems bright as ever for the Chiefs.

Can you imagine how that game Thursday would have looked if we didn't have all those miscues and ridiculous penalties? We'll likely be handed a dose of reality sometime this season, and maybe soon, but I wasn't real excited in the off season. After Thursday, I haven't felt better about this Chiefs since we started 9-0 with Vermeil. If Reid keeps opening up this offense and Smith continues to throw downfield, and our defense stays solid...who knows? The fact they held their composure throughout that game showed a TON of maturity* and confidence...and that's huge.

*Travis excluded.

Rausch
09-10-2017, 10:36 AM
I would think the energy in the building is at such a high right now, for the present and future.

http://www.clickon.co/app/uploads/2016/12/93096-uh-oh-Happy-learned-how-to-put-JC8u.gif

Best22
09-10-2017, 10:58 AM

It would seem that way, but this is happening all over the league. Chargers, Ravens, Patriots.

I think it's a league wide problem, but fans only want to blame their own team.

There were like 25 ACL injuries from training camp to preseason in the NFL this season. Just preseason. It's a league wide problem and it's a shame

pugsnotdrugs19
09-10-2017, 11:03 AM
I think there are a variety of reasons for the ligament injuries which have skyrocketed over the last several years. One reason might be overtraining, IMO. Players put so much of their time and energy into working their ass off to get bigger, faster, and stronger. I think sometimes they push it too far.

teedubya
09-10-2017, 11:05 AM
It became a new team, to me at least, when Smith started throwing downfield!

THREE 90+ yard drives in ONE GAME? They had ONE 90+ yard drive ALL LAST YEAR!

PAChiefsGuy
09-10-2017, 11:06 AM
It would seem that way, but this is happening all over the league. Chargers, Ravens, Patriots.

I think it's a league wide problem, but fans only want to blame their own team.

There were like 25 ACL injuries from training camp to preseason in the NFL this season. Just preseason. It's a league wide problem and it's a shame

I really don't view it as a problem. ACL injuries are simply a part of the game. There really is no way to avoid it or fix it. There's nothing the league or NFL can do...

Just gotta hope it doesn't happen and go out and play.

Best22
09-10-2017, 11:09 AM
I think there are a variety of reasons for the ligament injuries which have skyrocketed over the last several years. One reason might be overtraining, IMO. Players put so much of their time and energy into working their ass off to get bigger, faster, and stronger. I think sometimes they push it too far.

Muscles grow faster than ligaments. Ligaments can't handle the stress

KChiefs1
09-10-2017, 11:10 AM
Mahomes, Hunt, Hill, Kelce...young & talented.

pugsnotdrugs19
09-10-2017, 11:13 AM
Mahomes, Hunt, Hill, Kelce...young & talented.

And a defense with the talent to match it. :thumb:

Hog's Gone Fishin
09-10-2017, 11:18 AM
Philly is gonna kick our ass!

JakeF
09-10-2017, 11:20 AM
Only if the offensive line continues to keep Smith and Reid comfortable.

Bugeater
09-10-2017, 11:50 AM
But Clay said we are an 8-8 team that didn't make any upgrades
Hey fucknut, no one gives a shit what Clay said about anything. Your own stupid takes are bad enough so please just stick to them.

Direckshun
09-10-2017, 12:21 PM
So long as there isn't too steep of a drop from Dorsey to Veach, this team will have Super Bowl potential for a good while.

kcchiefsus
09-10-2017, 12:39 PM
Philly is gonna kick our ass!

You're a dumbass

Baby Lee
09-10-2017, 01:36 PM
Worser?

PAChiefsGuy
09-10-2017, 02:43 PM
Too early to get excited but nice way to start off the season... Proud of the way the team played especially Alex 'Montana' Smith, Hunt and J Houston.

Willie Lanier
09-10-2017, 02:49 PM
Too early to get excited but nice way to start off the season... Proud of the way the team played especially Alex 'Montana' Smith, Hunt and J Houston.

I don't dislike smith in the slightest, and I'm not on the "fuck smith to death" bandwagon, but in no parallel universe is Smith's nickname Montana... JFC

BryanBusby
09-10-2017, 02:51 PM
Scissor a nuclear warhead

Mike in SW-MO
09-10-2017, 04:27 PM
Naaah .

Get excited. Just don't book hotel rooms for the SB , yet.

PHOG
09-10-2017, 04:31 PM
I don't dislike smith in the slightest, and I'm not on the "**** smith to death" bandwagon, but in no parallel universe is Smith's nickname Montana... JFC
LMAO

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-10-2017, 07:09 PM
Notes:

Mellinger returns to homer train. Will it last?
Also, any possibility that Mellinger will one day return to the writing style that made him worth reading?

Usual nonsense from Alexsexuals; convinced that Smith has "finally turned the corner".
Blech.

Thread option: nuke.

TigeRRUppeRRcut
09-10-2017, 10:38 PM

The supplements and ridiculous training make their muscles grow out of proportion to the connective tissue keeping them together.

TigeRRUppeRRcut
09-10-2017, 10:40 PM
Hey ****nut, no one gives a shit what Clay said about anything. Your own stupid takes are bad enough so please just stick to them.

It's his thread, numb nuts.

You're going on ignore. Posts are geniunely awful.

Bugeater
09-10-2017, 10:44 PM
It's his thread, numb nuts.

You're going on ignore. Posts are geniunely awful.
He posted an article that someone else wrote you buttfucking moron. Ignore huh? Guess you're tired of me calling you out on your bullshit. I can certainly understand that.

penbrook
09-10-2017, 10:46 PM
Notes:

Mellinger returns to homer train. Will it last?
Also, any possibility that Mellinger will one day return to the writing style that made him worth reading?

Usual nonsense from Alexsexuals; convinced that Smith has "finally turned the corner".
Blech.

Thread option: nuke.

MJD thinks Alex has turned the corner and Ike Taylor thinks he has turned the corner but only because of Mahomey pushing him