PDA

View Full Version : Home and Auto Dryer recommendations

09-13-2017, 04:10 AM
It appears we are in the market for a new dryer. We haven't exactly had great luck with these. Purchased an expensive Maytag and only got 3 years out of it. Purchased a cheap one this last time and got only 3 years out of it. I'm inclined to just go cheap again but I would like to know if there is anything out there that is worth the extra coin.

Keep in mind, we don't need all the extra bells and whistles. We just need it to dry clothes. Nothing special.

09-13-2017, 04:13 AM
We are looking at this model DV40J3000EW but it is interesting reading reviews for it...

http://www.jcpenney.com/p/samsung-72-cu-ft-electric-dryer-with-moisture-sensor/pp5006360614?pTmplType=silver&catId=cat1006250014&deptId=dept20026090025&urlState=/g/electric-dryers-dryers/N-1b2ke21Dgn3fhaZ1z12x64&sort=PLH

https://reviews.cheapism.com/cheap-dryers/#samsung-dv40j3000ew-review

https://www.consumerreports.org/products/electric-dryer/samsung-dv40j3000ew-377597/overview/

When I search the model number I see each website with over 500 reviews and a 4.5 star or better rating but then I see consumer reports user reviews all saying the heating element died early. Also the Cheap site even commented on the heating element. How can there be that many great reviews yet what appears to be a common problem with it.

Nickhead
09-13-2017, 05:21 AM
being australian, unsure of its equal, but this dryer style works great for us.

http://www.harveynorman.com.au/vacuum-laundry-appliances/washing-machines-dryers/dryers/simpson-4kg-ezi-loader-dryer.html

09-13-2017, 05:24 AM
being australian, unsure of its equal, but this dryer style works great for us.

http://www.harveynorman.com.au/vacuum-laundry-appliances/washing-machines-dryers/dryers/simpson-4kg-ezi-loader-dryer.html

That thing looks tiny.

Mecca
09-13-2017, 05:27 AM
I had an LG dryer for 10 years, only had the element go out 1 time in all that time. Finally bought a new set this year and went with LG again.

If you go down to a place like the Sears outlet, you can get a 700 dollar dryer for like 3-400 cause someone didn't want it.

But anyhow I've had really good luck with LG's.

mikeyis4dcats.
09-13-2017, 05:48 AM
We have had LG front loaders for 11 years

Earthling
09-13-2017, 06:19 AM
Craigslist

Buehler445
09-13-2017, 06:35 AM
Buddy of mine sells appliances out of his tire shop. (I know, but whatever. It's a small town). I don't do any research I just tell him I need whatever and pay what he tells me to pay. He is my guy and hasn't led me astray.

Anyway when my dryer quit he brought in a speed queen. He said they're far and away the best units. It's not fancy but the damned thing works. I can't remember for sure but there is a pretty long warranty. I want to say 5 years. Don't quote me though.

Fire Me Boy!
09-13-2017, 06:42 AM
We've had an LG for 7 years and zero problems.

dilligaf
09-13-2017, 07:03 AM
Stay away from Samsung. I have a washer/dryer and just bought a refrigerator from them. Had nothing but problems. I bought the fridge in Feb and they wont even warranty it. They just say that they will but back the appliance from me but never follow up with the email that they say they will send. Sears where I bought says that Samsung wont let them work on it. I've been on the phone with them no less than a total of 3 hours in the last two months.

LiveSteam
09-13-2017, 07:06 AM
Dryers are one of the easiest in home appliances to wrench on yourself..

Fire Me Boy!
09-13-2017, 07:12 AM
Stay away from Samsung. I have a washer/dryer and just bought a refrigerator from them. Had nothing but problems. I bought the fridge in Feb and they wont even warranty it. They just say that they will but back the appliance from me but never follow up with the email that they say they will send. Sears where I bought says that Samsung wont let them work on it. I've been on the phone with them no less than a total of 3 hours in the last two months.

My wife worked in kitchen and appliances at Lowe's for several years. Her experiences there with customers purchasing Samsung led us away from them for exactly the same reasons you mention.

Lzen
09-13-2017, 07:13 AM
Don't go with Samsung. We bought a mid level Samsung washer not too many years ago. The drum separated within a year. Had to have a repair on it. They covered the cost of the part but I had to pay for the hourly rate of the repairman. He told me that Samsung was expanding so fast that they weren't doing a very good job at the quality side of things.

Hoover
09-13-2017, 07:26 AM
So my wife and I just bought a new washer and dryer. My wife is a good researcher and found the Speed Queen brand. You can get at Nebraska furniture mart. I thought She was crazy but both are amazing units. This is the consumer line of products made by a company that build commercial washer and dryers. They are work horses. Only downside is that they don't look like space ships

chinaski
09-13-2017, 07:33 AM
When it comes to home appliances, the simpler the better.

penguinz
09-13-2017, 07:41 AM
Stay away from Samsung appliances! They are junk!

Bugeater
09-13-2017, 07:59 AM
http://www.patchworktimes.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/DSC_0433.jpg

Bugeater
09-13-2017, 08:02 AM
When it comes to home appliances, the simpler the better.
With the push for energy efficiency these days it's getting to the point where there isn't such a thing as a simple appliance any more.

Frazod
09-13-2017, 08:11 AM
We got a Whirlpool washer/dryer set about three years ago after our old washer died and flooded the house. Haven't had any issues.

Funny to hear so many people bag on Samsung. I've also gotten to the point that I won't buy their products. Had a monitor and a blu ray player shit out on me right after the warranty expired.

Buehler445
09-13-2017, 08:18 AM
With the push for energy efficiency these days it's getting to the point where there isn't such a thing as a simple appliance any more.

My buddy tells me this is why He switched to speed queen. He said it takes more water and electricity and you can't fit a car in there but what goes in comes out clean.

Bwana
09-13-2017, 08:37 AM
A few months ago, one of the members posted a link and code for a discount on appliances. I know they carry a lot of different brands and always have closeouts. You may have to do a search to figure out the code.

https://www.whirlpoolinsidepass.com/home.jsp

Bwana
09-13-2017, 08:44 AM
I have had a Maytag Neptune dryer for 10 years and have never had to touch it, it has treated me very well.

Bweb
09-13-2017, 08:51 AM
We've had LG for 10.5 years with no problems

(Gulp!....feverishly knocking on wood!)

Abba-Dabba
09-13-2017, 11:39 AM
Kinda wondering if these failures have been user error. Typically 3yrs is a short life span for a dryer. Are you sure your wife isn't overloading the dryer?

notorious
09-13-2017, 11:41 AM

Same here.

Never again.

KranzDictum
09-13-2017, 12:20 PM
Dryers are one of the easiest in home appliances to wrench on yourself..

Yep as long as it isn't the circuit board.

Hey OP:

What is the dryer doing? You might just need a pulley or new wheel things which I forgot the name for.

We had a pulley fixed on our Maytag a couple years back and the repair dude just popped the top off and was done in 15 min. Next time we have an issue I will try it myself.

Make sure you keep them balanced, could be the reason you are going through them so fast too.

If you don't want to do the repair, look around for a service to come out and at least get an estimate, Dryers are like $800 and up.

Good luck,

09-13-2017, 04:09 PM
Or first maydag lasted 10 years. Replace with maytag and got three years. Using roper now and three years from it

Bugeater
09-13-2017, 04:18 PM
Or first maydag lasted 10 years. Replace with maytag and got three years. Using roper now and three years from it
They're pretty much the same thing now. Both manufactured by Whirlpool.

Bugeater
09-13-2017, 04:22 PM
All the Samsung hate is a little unsettling seeing that we just bought a $1300 fridge a little over a year ago. No problems with it so far though.

Buehler445
09-13-2017, 04:29 PM
All the Samsung hate is a little unsettling seeing that we just bought a $1300 fridge a little over a year ago. No problems with it so far though.

It shorted out and your house is on fire. I can see the smoke from here.

Bugeater
09-13-2017, 04:34 PM
It shorted out and your house is on fire. I can see the smoke from here.
The only bad thing about that is my Jeep is in the garage. Hopefully the fire was contained to the kitchen and upstairs living areas.

Frazod
09-13-2017, 05:44 PM
We've had LG for 10.5 years with no problems

(Gulp!....feverishly knocking on wood!)

After my washing machine flooding disaster, whether the washer is working fine or not, after 10 years, I'm replacing it. My laundry room is on the second floor right next to the bedroom, which is awesomely convenient until the day water starts pouring out of the kitchen ceiling light like a bathtub spigot. Same with the hot water heater.

09-13-2017, 09:46 PM
Just noticed that every retailers sale ends tonight. Kind of interesting that every single retailer has the exact same sale ending on the exact same day.

Jewish Rabbi
09-14-2017, 05:51 AM
Just noticed that every retailers sale ends tonight. Kind of interesting that every single retailer has the exact same sale ending on the exact same day.

Not really. I'm sure they receive a kickback from the manufacturer that ends at the same time.

Lzen
09-14-2017, 06:15 AM

We have a Samsung fridge that seems okay. We've had it for something like 8-10 years. I just don't trust Samsung washer and dryer.

I also just got a galaxy s8 yesterday. I guess I trust the company in some areas.