PDA

View Full Version : Football The NFL Is Seriously Concerned With Empty Stadiums

Pages : [1] 2

Eleazar
09-15-2017, 12:52 PM
The NFL Is Seriously Concerned With Empty Stadiums

By: Ryan Phillips | September 13, 2017

Week 1 of the NFL season had plenty of important stories worth following, but maybe the most entertaining was the mostly empty stadiums in Los Angeles and Santa Clara. Both the Los Angeles Rams and San Francisco 49ers had sparse crowds for their home openers, and that has not gone unnoticed by the NFL.

Ian Rapoport ✔ @RapSheet
NFL spokesman Joe Lockhart on the attendance in LA & SF: “Any time we empty seats that something we want to address.” Focused on sellouts.
10:29 AM - Sep 13, 2017

Ian Rapoport’s report (try and say that fast five times) above shows that the league is clearly worried about the optics of half-filled stadiums. And they should be. It’s embarrassing for the league.

This is what the 49ers crowd looked like at the start of the second half in Week 1:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DJZRldwVoAAsYsx.jpg

And here’s what the Rams crowd looked like in the first quarter:

https://www.ballerstatus.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/rams-780x520.jpg

Here’s the thing, the NFL’s plans for relocating teams have been hilariously ham-fisted. Moving the 49ers to Santa Clara, 45 minutes from San Francisco was a moronic decision. Levi’s Stadium is also positioned so roughly 70 percent of the stadium bakes in the sun with no chance of shade.

Meanwhile, the Rams might actually have decent attendance once they move into their new stadium, but that’s a huge gamble. Until then, they’ll likely be dealing with sparse crowds at the Coliseum for the next three seasons. It’s terrible optics for the NFL to have empty stadiums and absolutely no atmosphere for games.

And we haven’t even gotten to the Los Angeles Chargers, who haven’t even been able to sellout a 27,000-seat stadium. No one wanted the Chargers in Los Angeles, and it has shown so far. Dean Spanos and his family have consistently claimed they are pleased with ticket sales and “excited” about what’s happened with the franchise in LA, but look at the following picture for the team’s first ever official game in Los Angeles:

https://usatthebiglead.files.wordpress.com/2017/09/chargers-tickets.png

That was taken just before publishing this piece. Everything in color there is a ticket on sale for the team’s Week 2 matchup with the Miami Dolphins. Many of them are “re-sale” tickets that were likely snagged up by brokers when season tickets went on sale. Those brokers will likely aim to sell those seats to opposing fans all season. That graphic is stunning because it comes from just one ticket selling website, and there are several others that each have hundreds of tickets available.

The fact that the Chargers can’t find 27,000 fans to fill their tiny soccer stadium home for their opener in a new city would be shocking if you hadn’t followed this move from the beginning. But, let’s be real: there is zero buzz around the team, fan outreach efforts have been widely mocked and San Diego fans have abandoned the franchise en masse after the way the team’s ownership treated its former city. No matter how much lipstick the NFL tries to put on that situation, it’s always going to look like a pig.

Empty stadiums are a huge deal to the NFL. Yes, the league makes its money off of TV contracts, but when fans aren’t at games it has a detrimental impact on the product. It sends the message that games are boring, uninteresting and that people don’t want to have anything to do with them in person. That kind of message hurts the product as a whole.

Not to mention, players don’t want to play in empty stadiums, so those franchises will suffer when it comes time to lure free agents. That could lead to some teams being buried at the bottom of the league year after year and creating a cycle that leaves fans even less incentive to show up.

This is a major problem for the NFL. Maybe owners around the league will finally realize that their big, bold stadium and relocation plans should actually have more thought attached to them.

http://thebiglead.com/2017/09/13/the-nfl-is-seriously-concerned-with-empty-stadiums/

TLO
09-15-2017, 01:11 PM
Ham fisted

OldSchool
09-15-2017, 01:14 PM
No one is in the Santa Clara stadium because it's hot as **** there. The reflection off of the luxury boxes heats up the peasant seats like an oven. Also both teams kind of suck (Rams less so) and tickets are expensive as hell.

KChiefs1
09-15-2017, 01:14 PM
Shouldn't this be titled:

The NFL is seriously concerned with empty stadiums in California?

Bowser
09-15-2017, 01:17 PM
It helps attendance if the team in question doesn't suck out loud.

Just Passin' By
09-15-2017, 01:21 PM
The ratings for week one are out. While Irma certainly had an impact on the overall numbers, the NFL should be worried about viewership in general.

OldSchool
09-15-2017, 01:28 PM
The ratings for week one are out. While Irma certainly had an impact on the overall numbers, the NFL should be worried about viewership in general.

I think the worst thing that the NFL did was ever acknowledging any political BS. Think that brought a sour note to the NFL and is also pushing a significant amount of people (mainly SJW millennial/college age types) away from the NFL.

BlackHelicopters
09-15-2017, 01:28 PM
Other options and over regulation of the game have left viewers disillusioned.

PAChiefsGuy
09-15-2017, 01:30 PM

They did it to themselves with all the BS rule changes and keeping the wildly unpopular Goodell as the commissioner. The arbitrary fines and suspensions also are making this league worse IMO. Kaepernick hasn't helped things either.

It is the snowball effect. Even Mark Cuban predicted this.

Direckshun
09-15-2017, 01:32 PM
I think the biggest problem is just prices.

Arrowhead would pack every game if they cut parking 2/3rds and lowered ticket prices 15%.

Of course, that would cost the teams money, which is what this is really about.

The NFL isn't concerned about empty stadiums, they're concerned about money. If they wanted to pack stadiums, it would be insanely easy.

Bowser
09-15-2017, 01:32 PM

I'd like to know how they formulate numbers on viewership. Is it a Nielsen type thing where they check in on who and how many people are watching a live event on their on TVs, and do they account for viewers that stream or DVR games to watch at a later date?

Mile High Mania
09-15-2017, 01:34 PM
I also wonder what the impact is of all those companies moving their HQ's out of California the last decade. So many have moved to Texas and brought many well paid people with them. Sure, it might be a stretch... but, could it be a factor?

Those teams have all sucked for quite some time and I'm sure prices have gone up and it's stupid expensive to live in California.

PAChiefsGuy
09-15-2017, 01:36 PM
I also wonder what the impact is of all those companies moving their HQ's out of California the last decade. So many have moved to Texas and brought many well paid people with them. Sure, it might be a stretch... but, could it be a factor?

Those teams have all sucked for quite some time and I'm sure prices have gone up and it's stupid expensive to live in California.

Idk man.. Golden State Warriors are always selling out but like you said 49ers and Rams suck.

Prison Bitch
09-15-2017, 01:36 PM

It's prob time for Goodell to bash Trump pulblicly, like he did adter the election. That's good for business, taking political stands as a CEO. Viewers love that!

On second thought, he can burn in hell.

Eleazar
09-15-2017, 01:42 PM
The article mainly concerns itself with California teams that have little or no fan support (redundant, I know), and all three of those mentioned have recently relocated.

However, across the league I think the main problems are that the NFL has decided to price regular people out of the market, and that the quality of the product has declined.

Rule changes making the league so QB-centric... 4 or 5 teams realistically have a chance. You can't hit anyone, you can't defend anyone, nobody knows what a catch is any longer. Defense and the ground game are sideshows the passing game. Arena football isn't popular and this mess the NFL is declining toward isn't either. Bring back the run game, bring back defense, bring back what was once the most "team" of all team sports.

Then maybe people will consider paying exorbitant sums for parking spaces, tickets, and everything that goes with them.

saphojunkie
It's prob time for Goodell to bash Trump pulblicly, like he did adter the election. That's good for business, taking political stands as a CEO. Viewers love that!

It's always a good time to bash that fucking cunt.

Dayze
maybe people are just tired of watching boring football / product, and paying through the nose to do so.

i haven't been to a game since the Chiefs home playoff loss to the Ravens, and used to go to probably 3 games a year.

the home experience is just way way better IMO.
at least it's better when you factor in the cost to go to a game. and I would imagine the Chiefs are on the low-end of costs to attend a game. (no idea though).

**EDit....NM, Cochise pretty much covered the point I was trying to make.

Mile High Mania
Idk man.. Golden State Warriors are always selling out but like you said 49ers and Rams suck.

- the 49ers have only had 5 seasons over .500 since 2000
- LA Rams are 5-12 since relocating, their last season over .500 was 2003
- Chargers have had 9 wins three times since 2010
- last year was the first time the Raiders had been better than .500 since 2002

There's been a metric ton of shitty football in California for a very long time.

saphojunkie
09-15-2017, 01:45 PM
They're going to have to lower ticket prices, period. It's simple economics. It seems to me that they could get ahead of the curve and lower ticket sales preemptively. Why wait for the market to sour so much that you are forced to lower them, and enthusiasm has waned?

Enthusiasm is still relatively high. You could make your desirable product more accessible, and maintain your momentum. Or you can bleed it dry and shutter your doors in 20 years.

PAChiefsGuy
09-15-2017, 01:46 PM
- the 49ers have only had 5 seasons over .500 since 2000
- LA Rams are 5-12 since relocating, their last season over .500 was 2003
- Chargers have had 9 wins three times since 2010
- last year was the first time the Raiders had been better than .500 since 2002

There's been a metric ton of shitty football in California for a very long time.

Right...

MMXcalibur
09-15-2017, 01:47 PM
Staying at home and watching the games is so, SO much better.
I'm headed to the Chiefs/Chargers game in LA next week and had to pay out the nose for it ($170/ticket).

I won't be doing that next year.

Dayze
09-15-2017, 01:48 PM
last night, my wife (who is playing fantasy football for the first time ever with some work friends) said "Joe Mixon is on my bench and has only gotten me 2 points so far. but he's on my bench so, I guess that's no big deal'.

after hearing that I remember thinking ".....man...there's a football game on tonight"? lol. no shit.

Mile High Mania
The article mainly concerns itself with California teams that have little or no fan support (redundant, I know), and all three of those mentioned have recently relocated.

However, across the league I think the main problems are that the NFL has decided to price regular people out of the market, and that the quality of the product has declined.

Rule changes making the league so QB-centric... 4 or 5 teams realistically have a chance. You can't hit anyone, you can't defend anyone, nobody knows what a catch is any longer. Defense and the ground game are sideshows the passing game. Arena football isn't popular and this mess the NFL is declining toward isn't either. Bring back the run game, bring back defense, bring back what was once the most "team" of all team sports.

Then maybe people will consider paying exorbitant sums for parking spaces, tickets, and everything that goes with them.

Think about all the 'great games' on NFL films from the 60s, 70s, 80s. Visualize them in your head... take a few minutes.

Ok, did you see old, outdoor stadiums in the elements with Joe Sixpack and all his buddies face painting and having a blast in the stands? Hell yeah you did, and you've nailed so much of what I think the problem is today.

That new ATL stadium and all the others... it's so damn expensive to go to a game. Single game cheap seats are crazy.

It would cost me $100 per ticket to take my family of 5 to the Cowboys/Rams game in a few weeks... really? And, that's up at the highest and furthest away from the action. Don't forget parking and crazy priced food. Call it $550 with no food or drinks. $700 with all that and I'm not sure if I would pay that price to see Dallas/Denver. Maybe I'm just a cheap bastard, but damn that's insane.

It's like that everywhere. No thanks.

eDave
As with most things, it's the internet and big screen TVs.

Coochie liquor
09-15-2017, 01:49 PM
I'm sure the Fade moving out of Cali and announcing it years ahead of time will help this problem too.

Bowser
09-15-2017, 01:51 PM

Then maybe people will consider paying exorbitant sums for parking spaces, tickets, and everything that goes with them.Great take, spot on.

Plus, think about all the money that goes into fantasy football. It always comes back to money.

Dayze
09-15-2017, 01:51 PM
The NFL could die off, or go to a PPV scenario, or some other method where they're not on TV anymore, and I seriously don't think I would be all that upset by it. Yes, it would suck not watching the Chiefs (the only really team I follow anyway), but oh well. If you would've told me 10 years ago I'd have that opinion of the NFL, I would've said you're crazy. I used to play my entire weekends around football.

Now I get more enjoyment watching NCAA games at random / good matchups, and have my Sundays pretty much free again.

and though i used to be a fanatical FF player, I haven't played in probably nearly a decade. and I think the game has evolved to cater to fantasy football. all the FF segments on pre-games, entire FF programs, etc, I think has alot to do with it. An entire generation of people are only interested in the NFL to see how many points they got each week, and don't really have a passion for a particular team.

Mile High Mania
09-15-2017, 01:52 PM
The other problem is these stadiums are becoming mini-amusement parks... why the hell is it necessary to have great Wifi for a 3 hour game? Go to the Cowboys' stadium and on the levels with restaurants and bars, you'll see people that spent great money for their suite... sitting in the atrium club or the Jack Daniels bar watching the game on a TV screen. Dumbasses with too much money.

Eleazar
09-15-2017, 01:54 PM
The other problem is these stadiums are becoming mini-amusement parks... why the hell is it necessary to have great Wifi for a 3 hour game? Go to the Cowboys' stadium and on the levels with restaurants and bars, you'll see people that spent great money for their suite... sitting in the atrium club or the Jack Daniels bar watching the game on a TV screen. Dumbasses with too much money.

I've never understood why people would pay that kind of money to watch the game on a TV screen from inside the stadium. Or in a suite, even.

Bewbies
09-15-2017, 01:55 PM
When you turn on your tv and they're talking about football they're always talking about concussions, sitting during the national anthem, or a team holding a city hostage for money.

Nobody wants to spend a ton of time or money on that shit.

Mark Cuban was right.

Dayze
09-15-2017, 01:55 PM
When you turn on your tv and they're talking about football they're always talking about concussions, sitting during the national anthem, or a team holding a city hostage for money.

Mark Cuban was right.

Yep.

3rd&Long
09-15-2017, 01:56 PM
History is a good teacher in spite of many passing decades. The facts are that the AFL LA Chargers lasted one year, 1960, before bolting to SD. Then we know both the Raiders and Rams vacated LA in the 90s because of poor fan support. LA is a college football town, just as St Louis is a MLB town and other examples abound.

MMXcalibur
09-15-2017, 01:56 PM

That reminds me of the oddest photo I've seen of these new affronts to God. There was an artist's rendition of the Redskins new stadium that had a guy surfing in front of the stadium.

EDIT: Found it.

https://www.washingtonian.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/03172016-stadium2.jpg.optimal.jpg

Dayze
09-15-2017, 01:57 PM
LMAO

Just Passin' By
09-15-2017, 01:57 PM
Think about all the 'great games' on NFL films from the 60s, 70s, 80s. Visualize them in your head... take a few minutes.

Ok, did you see old, outdoor stadiums in the elements with Joe Sixpack and all his buddies face painting and having a blast in the stands? Hell yeah you did, and you've nailed so much of what I think the problem is today.

That new ATL stadium and all the others... it's so damn expensive to go to a game. Single game cheap seats are crazy.

It would cost me $100 per ticket to take my family of 5 to the Cowboys/Rams game in a few weeks... really? And, that's up at the highest and furthest away from the action. Don't forget parking and crazy priced food. Call it $550 with no food or drinks. $700 with all that and I'm not sure if I would pay that price to see Dallas/Denver. Maybe I'm just a cheap bastard, but damn that's insane.

Yep, and there's also

Horrible officiating impacting games and pissing off the fans and bettors
Corrupt front office leading to bad off-the-field policies and blatantly unfair penalties
Bad optics with the dissing of the anthem
etc...

There are so many (mostly) self-inflicted wounds here, that it's easy to overlook some. And that doesn't even get into whatever number of people have pulled away because of concussion studies and the like.

BucEyedPea
09-15-2017, 01:58 PM
That reminds me of the oddest photo I've seen of these new affronts to God. There was an artist's rendition of the Redskins new stadium that had a guy surfing in front of the stadium.

EDIT: Found it.

https://www.washingtonian.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/03172016-stadium2.jpg.optimal.jpg

Looks like they have wall climbers repelling on it too.

Halfcan

The first year we had season tickets it was $480 for the pair-$20.00 parking.

Even though we had many horrible seasons- the tickets kept going up. When it got to $1440 for the same seats- Plus a $50.00 "Convenience" fee added onto my season ticket account- Plus $40.00 for parking- I gave it up.

My last game as a season ticket holder was a December game. It was shitty out and could not even give away my extra ticket. So it cost me $159.00 with my share of parking to see the Chiefs get creamed by the Donks. People were giving out free tickets outside. It was such a huge waste of money being a season ticket holder. Never again.

Rain Man

Yeah, I agree with Cochise's big picture summary, but I do think the true catalyst is price. It's expensive enough now that you could go spend a weekend at a lake or something instead if you have a family. Or for a two-person family like mine, it would cover my airfare to some nice place. It's just not really worth it for a three-hour excursion where your team may or may not win, especially when you can also watch it on your big-screen high-definition television.

If they lower the prices, they'll get a lot of their crowds back, despite the other structural issues going on.

Rain Man
09-15-2017, 02:02 PM
History is a good teacher in spite of many passing decades. The facts are that the AFL LA Chargers lasted one year, 1960, before bolting to SD. Then we know both the Raiders and Rams vacated LA in the 90s because of poor fan support. LA is a college football town, just as St Louis is a MLB town and other examples abound.

No doubt about it. Los Angeles is a weird animal when it comes to pro football. I understand the league obsessing about it since it's the second-largest national market. It seems like you could fill a stadium from a population of 13 million or whatever it is. But maybe you just can't.

Bewbies
09-15-2017, 02:02 PM

Here in ATL they didn't even sell single game tickets. You wanted to go to games you had to buy a seat license and then pay for the whole season.

Never mind that our new soccer team (best attendance in the MLS over 45k a game) plays in there and you can get cheap seats without license.

Sunday games in that new dome are gonna have a lame ass environment because nobody in there is actually the Joe 6 pack die hard fan. Those folks all told the Falcons to piss off.

Hog's Gone Fishin
09-15-2017, 02:03 PM
I wonder if they realize that half the stadiums are always gonna be empty on any given Sunday because the team is on a road trip. They need to think things thru.

Halfcan
09-15-2017, 02:03 PM
Yep, and there's also

Horrible officiating impacting games and pissing off the fans and bettors
Corrupt front office leading to bad off-the-field policies and blatantly unfair penalties
Bad optics with the dissing of the anthem
etc...

There are so many (mostly) self-inflicted wounds here, that it's easy to overlook some. And that doesn't even get into whatever number of people have pulled away because of concussion studies and the like.

All of this. I would also add the tailgate experience is not even close to what it was. The Chiefs try to cram you into a little spot now for "safety" reasons and send the Nazi's around in a golf cart to harass you if you are over the line. It also takes twice as long to get Into the stadium with all the security-which cuts down your tailgate time on noon games.

Tailgating was half the fun of the game day experience- now you almost spend more time being directed around the lot than party time.

Demonpenz
09-15-2017, 02:05 PM
Last year i fished as much as I could instead of watching football, this year I am going to the river.

Hog's Gone Fishin
09-15-2017, 02:06 PM
No doubt about it. Los Angeles is a weird animal when it comes to pro football. I understand the league obsessing about it since it's the second-largest national market. It seems like you could fill a stadium from a population of 13 million or whatever it is. But maybe you just can't.

Maybe they need to quit checking for weapons at the gate, I understand the parking lot was full of people turned away.

Halfcan
09-15-2017, 02:08 PM
Here in ATL they didn't even sell single game tickets. You wanted to go to games you had to buy a seat license and then pay for the whole season.

Never mind that our new soccer team (best attendance in the MLS over 45k a game) plays in there and you can get cheap seats without license.

Sunday games in that new dome are gonna have a lame ass environment because nobody in there is actually the Joe 6 pack die hard fan. Those folks all told the Falcons to piss off.

Yes they are missing the point- the real fans are there to see the football team-NOT to sit in a billion dollar stadium and post selfies on FB.

One hugely annoying thing the Chiefs did to fuck up our stadium is put a constant add running screen all around the middle of the stadium that flashes nonsense pop ups at you the entire time. Fucking sucks. :shake::shake:

3rd&Long
09-15-2017, 02:08 PM

AND, I'm told, the Falcons coughed up an additional $700 Million for a roof they can't or don't want to open in fear of not being able to close it again. Arthur Blank must be feeling that one deep in the sphincter.

Mile High Mania
09-15-2017, 02:16 PM
Yeah, I agree with Cochise's big picture summary, but I do think the true catalyst is price. It's expensive enough now that you could go spend a weekend at a lake or something instead if you have a family. Or for a two-person family like mine, it would cover my airfare to some nice place. It's just not really worth it for a three-hour excursion where your team may or may not win, especially when you can also watch it on your big-screen high-definition television.

If they lower the prices, they'll get a lot of their crowds back, despite the other structural issues going on.

My kids wanted me to take them all to the game this weekend... this conversation happened about 9 months ago. I said, let's say we drive from Dallas to Denver - no airfare. And, we don't want terrible seats, but "ok" seats. Let's price it out.

All in on hotel for 3 nights, gas, food, game, extras along the way... I said, what if I just gave the three of you $250 each and we call it even.

It's just too much money to take a family to a game.

Just Passin' By
09-15-2017, 02:18 PM
All of this. I would also add the tailgate experience is not even close to what it was. The Chiefs try to cram you into a little spot now for "safety" reasons and send the Nazi's around in a golf cart to harass you if you are over the line. It also takes twice as long to get Into the stadium with all the security-which cuts down your tailgate time on noon games.

Tailgating was half the fun of the game day experience- now you almost spend more time being directed around the lot than party time.

Unless it's folded in with another special event (concert, for example), I doubt I'll ever bother going to a live game again. I was offered "free" tickets. I added up what "free' would mean for one person, assuming they kept it on the cheap,

$60 for parking
$20 (lowballed) for 2 beers and a small food item
$10-$15 for gas
3 hours lost time in traffic
Harassment policy a/k/a security measures just to get into the place

So, I can spend $90+, and my wasted time, on "free" tickets, or I can just stay home and either watch on a big screen television or do something else with my time. To me, it's a no brainer, and season ticket holders are insane for spending full amount of money required on what has become both an inferior viewing experience and an inferior overall product experience.

Rasputin
09-15-2017, 02:18 PM
To be fair Chargers never had more than a couple of dozen fans in the stands before moving out of San Diego.

RealSNR
09-15-2017, 02:20 PM
Tear down the Santa Clara stadium. You could cover the price of airfare, a nice hotel, and decent seats at Levi's Stadium, and I STILL wouldn't accept that offer.

Nothing like being baked alive.

Halfcan
09-15-2017, 02:25 PM
Unless it's folded in with another special event (concert, for example), I doubt I'll ever bother going to a live game again. I was offered "free" tickets. I added up what "free' would mean for one person, assuming they kept it on the cheap,

$60 for parking
$20 (lowballed) for 2 beers and a small food item
$10-$15 for gas
3 hours lost time in traffic
Harassment policy a/k/a security measures just to get into the place

So, I can spend $90+, and my wasted time, on "free" tickets, or I can just stay home and either watch on a big screen television or do something else with my time. To me, it's a no brainer, and season ticket holders are insane for spending full amount of money required on what has become both an inferior viewing experience and an inferior overall product experience.

This. I could have had free tickets to the last preseason game. 4 tickets lower level. It would have been great watching Mahomes- but would have still been very expensive to see a game that does not even count.

3rd&Long
09-15-2017, 02:26 PM
My kids wanted me to take them all to the game this weekend... this conversation happened about 9 months ago. I said, let's say we drive from Dallas to Denver - no airfare. And, we don't want terrible seats, but "ok" seats. Let's price it out.

All in on hotel for 3 nights, gas, food, game, extras along the way... I said, what if I just gave the three of you $250 each and we call it even.

I'm with you. There's little doubt that the trade off between a HD big screen in the home with surroundsound vs those price points is nudging up on the impossibility scale of rational thought. The in-game experience is unique, no doubt, but the cost line now favors the in-home version, at least to me. I think if every seat had a gambling portal approved for in-stadium viewing, i.e., betting on individual plays/outcomes against posted odds, the rush would be back on but I can't see the NFL going in that direction.

Dayze
09-15-2017, 02:32 PM
the NFL is largely unwatchable for me anymore.

Hours and hours of commercials,
Networks pushing whatever the latest narrative is,
Every big play there's always that 2 to 3 second pause where you wait for a penalty flag. No idea what is, or is not a catch anymore.
No idea what Pass Interference is.
Selective holding enforcement.
Preferred treatment of star players.
The "2 minute warning" (which sits high atop my list of Irrational Hatred).
Officiating crews blowing calls, or being the cause for outcomes of games but never getting anything other than a 'sorry, that was the incorrect call' after the fact.

it's just......boring by in large.
Not baseball boring, but pretty boring.

I can sit and watch a college game between two rivalry teams or a big match up between ranked teams, and have 100 times the enjoyment despite not having a dog in the fight with either team.

Chief Pagan
09-15-2017, 02:54 PM

I get that they are playing in crappy stadiums but this is the enthusiasm that LA has after how many years without a pro team?

Wow.

Chief Pagan
09-15-2017, 02:56 PM
Tear down the Santa Clara stadium. You could cover the price of airfare, a nice hotel, and decent seats at Levi's Stadium, and I STILL wouldn't accept that offer.

Nothing like being baked alive.

Is the stadium really any hotter than most stadiums at the beginning of the season?

gblowfish
09-15-2017, 02:57 PM
They just want the stadium to look good on TV with a full crowd. That's it. It pissed me off when the Chiefs dump tickets, and guys can buy single game tickets for much less than I have to pay as a STH. And it really pisses me off to pay full price for pre-season. That's just outright robbery, and they don't care. Our pre-season games had woeful attendance this year.

BigBeauford
09-15-2017, 02:59 PM
Also a lot of Millenials are no longer playing football and/or don't give a shit about football.

Otter
09-15-2017, 03:00 PM

I'll add to this:

Emasculation of the NFL...players sitting during national anthem, ESPN transitioning into Jerry Spriniger and making gladiators wear hot pink
Can we make it through 3 plays without the zebras calling a penalty?

The NFL is on the decline and it's their own fault.

Reerun_KC
09-15-2017, 03:02 PM
I think the worst thing that the NFL did was ever acknowledging any political BS. Think that brought a sour note to the NFL and is also pushing a significant amount of people (mainly SJW millennial/college age types) away from the NFL.

Yes this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DaneMcCloud
09-15-2017, 03:03 PM
I'd like to know how they formulate numbers on viewership. Is it a Nielsen type thing where they check in on who and how many people are watching a live event on their on TVs, and do they account for viewers that stream or DVR games to watch at a later date?

Nielsen Ratings, DVR and streaming (the legal kind, not illegal).

Bewbies
AND, I'm told, the Falcons coughed up an additional $700 Million for a roof they can't or don't want to open in fear of not being able to close it again. Arthur Blank must be feeling that one deep in the sphincter.

I read it might be open this weekend. Shocking everyone here.

The Braves got a $650m stadium that opened this year, Falcons got a $1.6B stadium that opened this year, and the Hawks are renovating their newish stadium to the tune of $250M right now.

Tax payers didn't foot all of that, but a big portion. Fucking stupid.

Chief Pagan
the NFL is largely unwatchable for me anymore.

Hours and hours of commercials,

There is this thing called a DVR... An entire game can be comfortably watched in a little over an hour.

And if you insist on watching live, flip over to the Red Zone for a couple of minutes during commercial break.

Track down a college student and you can get Sunday Ticket streaming for $100.

Skip the pre and post game shows and all the other shows hyping this or that and the actual games are more enjoyable.

OldSchool
09-15-2017, 03:04 PM
Also a lot of Millenials are no longer playing football and/or don't give a shit about football.

Soccer is the new cool thing. Basketball has also enjoyed a rise in popularity (I think).

Just Passin' By
09-15-2017, 03:05 PM
I read it might be open this weekend. Shocking everyone here.

The Braves got a $650m stadium that opened this year, Falcons got a $1.6B stadium that opened this year, and the Hawks are renovating their newish stadium to the tune of $250M right now.

Tax payers didn't foot all of that, but a big portion. ****ing stupid.

At least you got a Chic-Fil-A that is closed for those Sunday football games, though, right?

:thumb:

DaneMcCloud
09-15-2017, 03:05 PM
Dumbasses with too much money.

There's no such thing as "too much money"

DaneMcCloud
09-15-2017, 03:06 PM
Then we know both the Raiders and Rams vacated LA in the 90s because of poor fan support.

Complete and utter bullshit.

It was stadium deals, dummy.

DaneMcCloud
09-15-2017, 03:08 PM

Simple Solution: What the game muted.

I've been doing it for years.

The announcers miss most of the action, anyway, because of their incessant babbling.

DaneMcCloud
09-15-2017, 03:09 PM
I've never understood why people would pay that kind of money to watch the game on a TV screen from inside the stadium. Or in a suite, even.

Because it's a different type of environment, usually business related.

I've been to several suites across the country and the one thing in common was that host was more interested in doing business deals than watching the game(s).

Otter
09-15-2017, 03:10 PM

Huge issue as well. Sunday NFL games were a time to have a couple beers with the guys and watch men hit each other. Now, it allowed the asshole uncle who won't shut up about politics at the family picnic to have a loud say on what dictates the flow.</br></br>If the NFL hasn't slayed the goose that layed the golden egg yet they're above the belly button on that cut. And yes, geese have belly buttons in my posts.

Bewbies
09-15-2017, 03:11 PM
Simple Solution: What the game muted.

I've been doing it for years.

The announcers miss most of the action, anyway, because of their incessant babbling.

It is really amazing how terrible the announcers are now. Unless you get the #1 announcing team (and even then it might climb to ok) mute is a superior option.

I was more referencing ESPN etc in coverage of the NFL. I watch, and the coverage doesn't bother me, other than watching the best professional sports league we have kill itself via a billion cuts.

Bewbies
09-15-2017, 03:12 PM
At least you got a Chic-Fil-A that is closed for those Sunday football games, though, right?

:thumb:

There are so many events in that place Chick-Fil-A will still serve a ton of sandwiches.

The rest of this year there's something like 3-4 events per week in there.

DaneMcCloud
09-15-2017, 03:13 PM
It is really amazing how terrible the announcers are now. Unless you get the #1 announcing team (and even then it might climb to ok) mute is a superior option.

I was more referencing ESPN etc in coverage of the NFL. I watch, and the coverage doesn't bother me, other than watching the best professional sports league we have kill itself via a billion cuts.

The only announcing team that I don't mute is when Al Michaels is involved.

Last night, it was Collinsworth and Tirico and while I don't mind either, I prefer to watch the game muted.

But Al Michaels is a living legend that always has such great perspective.

Otter
09-15-2017, 03:14 PM

Last night, it was Collinsworth and Tirico and while I don't mind either, I prefer to watch the game muted.

See Dane, we agree sometimes! :thumb:

3rd&Long
09-15-2017, 03:17 PM
Complete and utter bullshit.

It was stadium deals, dummy.

Always nice to be welcomed to a board with such well reasoned out candor:clap:

ChiefsCountry
09-15-2017, 03:19 PM
That 49er picture was right after halftime kickoff. It says 15:00 on the game clock. I'm sure most are still pissing and getting concessions and working their way back to the seats.

notorious
09-15-2017, 03:21 PM
My problem is convenience. Fuck the drive in, and the wait to get the fuck out.

I am a laid back guy, but I am also very efficient with my time. The game day experience turns both of those traits upside down.

BlackOp
09-15-2017, 03:22 PM
Tax payers didn't foot all of that, but a big portion. ****ing stupid.

That's only part of the conspiracy...getting local municipalities into 30+ year debt.

Notice the cities that refused to become stadium debt-slaves... have or are in the process of losing the team.

Screw not having the resources to pay for critical infrastructure... for a stupid football team owned by a billionaire.

It been shown that these deals never work out for the community...the citizens just reallocate that extra entertainment budget into other things. NFL is a centralized cash-hog....

NFL used to be middle-class entertainment...it's moving more towards people with disposable income which really isn't its target demographic. Not enough of those people for an 80,000 event on a bi-monthly basis. Your seeing empty stadiums because of it...they are pricing their core consumers out of their own product. It will eventually collapse on itself...which, IMO, is intentional...but that topic is for another thread.

bigjosh
09-15-2017, 03:22 PM
Nfl attendance problems...

1. Expensive ticket
2. Expensive parking
3. Expensive food and drink
4. Inconvenient locations of stadiums relative to highways.
5. Too many drunk assholes.
6. Shitty weather conditions.
7. Teams leaving loyal fanbases behind to start from scratch where the NFL has failed already.
8. Have to stand for the national anthem.

Viewership problems...

1. Sick of watching the fucking giants and cowboys every god damn week.
2. If you like out of market team, and refuse to get direct TV you are forced to watch a stream via the Internet which isnt accounted for in ratings.
3. The game of the week broadcast teams are terrible.
4. Thursday night football is a joke.
5. Espn is a joke.
6. Bob costas is still alive.
7. 20 commercials for every 5 minutes of football.

Game related problems...
1. Refs interjecting themselves into the game way too much.
2. Subjective rules differ game to game.
3. Too many non competitive teams.

Sent from my HTC Desire 530 using Tapatalk

ChiefsCountry
09-15-2017, 03:27 PM
That's only part of the conspiracy...getting local municipalities into 30+ year debt.

Notice the cities that refused to become stadium debt-slaves... have or are in the process of losing the team.

St. Louis says hi, but that doesn't fit with your tin hat bullshit.

Hydrae
09-15-2017, 03:28 PM

Chiefs are coming to Dallas this year. I have been to several Chiefs-Texans games in recent years and was excited about being able to go watch the game in JerryWorld. Then I looked at prices. Damn! Travel up from Austin, one night in a motel and 2 tickets, I am looking at $500 minimum. For that kind of money I could buy a new tv to watch all the games on all season long.

Needless to say, I will not be attending.

ChiefsCountry
09-15-2017, 03:32 PM
Chiefs are coming to Dallas this year. I have been to several Chiefs-Texans games in recent years and was excited about being able to go watch the game in JerryWorld. Then I looked at prices. Damn! Travel up from Austin, one night in a motel and 2 tickets, I am looking at $500 minimum. For that kind of money I could buy a new tv to watch all the games on all season long.

Needless to say, I will not be attending.

I bought tickets to see the Chiefs/Redskins game. The price for 2 tickets and parking for one game was 1/4 of what I paid for 2 season tickets and parking 2 seasons ago.

notorious
09-15-2017, 03:42 PM

At least Denver has the Light Rail. Easy access in and out, without too many headaches.

TribalElder
09-15-2017, 03:43 PM
The St. Louis 49ers

BlackOp
09-15-2017, 03:46 PM
St. Louis says hi, but that doesn't fit with your tin hat bullshit.

It most certainly does...but I didn't go into the other half of it. It ties into the psychology of smaller cities and their identity being tethered to sports....what would define Kansas City without the Chiefs? A farm town with good barbecue?

When you think of Indianapolis...what is the first thing that comes to mind?

Reerun_KC
09-15-2017, 03:48 PM
It most certainly does...but I didn't go into the other half of it.

There isn't enough foil in the lower 48 states to follow your crazy ass agendas.

Rain Man
09-15-2017, 03:49 PM
At least Denver has the Light Rail. Easy access in and out, without too many headaches.

Thanks. I paid for that.

Hog's Gone Fishin
09-15-2017, 03:50 PM

Collinsworth loves the Chiefs and especially Tyreek Hill. I love to hear his comments when Hill cuts loose.

hometeam
09-15-2017, 03:51 PM
I just spent 500 bucks for two tickets and parking to the home opener. Granted, they are decent seats but they are on the 5 yard line not the 50. Most people just cant swing that shit.

Hog's Gone Fishin
09-15-2017, 03:53 PM
While its a good experience to attend a football game in person "ESPECIALLY AT ARROWHEAD" it just doesn't compare to being able to be at home close to a fridge full of beer and a pisser while you get to see replays.

ClevelandBronco
09-15-2017, 03:55 PM
What the heck did they expect? They made the game better for the TV than it is for the stadium.

BlackOp
09-15-2017, 04:02 PM
What the heck did they expect? They made the game better for the TV than it is for the stadium.

Yep..I have free tickets/parking and food voucher for the game on Sunday..and we were just asking ourselves..."is it really worth the hassle".

chiefzilla1501
09-15-2017, 04:05 PM
I really could give a shit about the anthem protests, but I am bothered by the fact that they provided a convenient scapegoat for Roger Goodell gradually destroying the game of football. The game isn't suffering because a few players are protesting the anthem. Anyone who stopped watching the game because of that was probably part-way out the door before saying "**** it." The game has been on a steady decline for years.

NFL attendance is down because of Goodell. Period. I love football, don't give a shit about protests, and find myself not giving a shit about NFL football these days.

notorious
09-15-2017, 04:10 PM
Thanks. I paid for that.

I should be the one thanking you!

Thank you!

Tribal Warfare
09-15-2017, 04:13 PM
The league has gotten too big, the talent is diluted making it a bad product to market for local fans.

KChiefs1
09-15-2017, 04:14 PM
Staying at home and watching the games is so, SO much better.
I'm headed to the Chiefs/Chargers game in LA next week and had to pay out the nose for it ($170/ticket).

I won't be doing that next year.

80" HDTV
Bar 10' away
Bathroom 30' away with no lines
Home cooked food
Leather recliner

OldSchool
09-15-2017, 04:15 PM
80" HDTV
Bar 10' away
Home cooked food
Leather recliner

Yup. With nice AC blowing and no idiot spilling his beer on you cause he pre-gamed too hard.

PAChiefsGuy
09-15-2017, 04:16 PM
While its a good experience to attend a football game in person "ESPECIALLY AT ARROWHEAD" it just doesn't compare to being able to be at home close to a fridge full of beer and a pisser while you get to see replays.

Or in my case the ability to smoke a fat joint and enjoy the game.

Hey, we all have our vices right?

BlackOp
09-15-2017, 04:18 PM
The game has been on a steady decline for years.

NFL attendance is down because of Goodell. Period. I love football, don't give a shit about protests, and find myself not giving a shit about NFL football these days.

Once they signed the mega-advertising deal...TV ratings, close finishes (manufactured or not) and name-brand QBs became it's end goal. It became less of a sport and more of an entertainment vehicle to sell products.

They changed the rules so they could market QBs and long, exciting passes. They didn't want an injured Qb to affect ratings...its when we started to see officials overtly controlling the ebb/flow of games to maximize viewers until the end.

Pretty simple...greed kills everything it consumes.

chiefzilla1501
09-15-2017, 04:28 PM
Once they signed the mega-advertising deal...TV ratings, close finishes (manufactured or not) and name-brand QBs became it's end goal. It became less of a sport and more of an entertainment vehicle to sell products.

They changed the rules so they could market QBs and long, exciting passes. They didn't want an injured Qb to affect ratings...it when we started to see officials overtly controlling the ebb/flow of games to maximize viewers until the end.

Pretty simple...greed kills everything it consumes.

DirecTV instead of letting ordinary games watch games without installing a physical monstrosity to watch the game. Fuck you.
Stricter PI rules in a league that's already dominated by a few select QBs? Fuck you.
Rising ticket prices & parking for "true fans", who then go home and realize they can't afford a dish? Fuck you.
Taking away home games from cities that are already fleecing taxpayer dollars so you can play games in London? Fuck you.
Influencing games with overreaching suspensions and ridiculous 15-yard taunting penalties that nobody gives a shit about? Fuck you.
Having games so influenced by injury because the NFL punted for years on trying to fix the problem? Fuck you.

Worst commissioner of all time. He got an extension? Fuck you owners.

DaNewGuy
09-15-2017, 04:42 PM
I love the college atmosphere. I can get tickets to UCF and USF games for 20 bucks and Walk round freely in the stadium to better seats, shit rules

Easy 6
09-15-2017, 04:47 PM
Its everything and the kitchen sink

Ticket and other gameday prices
Bad teams
Easier to stay home and watch
Game is being changed too drastically
Fair weather fan markets
Coddling SJW players
I'm surely forgetting much more here

Perineum Ripper
09-15-2017, 04:54 PM
80" HDTV
Bar 10' away
Home cooked food
Leather recliner

Yeah but do you get the opportunity to see this

https://thedirty.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/Untitled-126.jpg

ModSocks
09-15-2017, 05:16 PM
And just think...the Chargers and Rams will both have their LA home opener on the same day, at the same time. That should go well.

BleedingRed
09-15-2017, 05:35 PM
Fantasy Football has played its part too, why go to a game when I can watch 5 at home with

stevieray
09-15-2017, 05:58 PM
Arrowhead will be half empty.

lewdog
09-15-2017, 06:00 PM

Dang, you really think so?

What would be the reason?

stevieray
09-15-2017, 06:03 PM
Dang, you really think so?

What would be the reason?

I was being sarcastic.

That place will be crazy on Sunday.

Maybe we now know why we have six prime time games.

lewdog
09-15-2017, 06:05 PM
I was being sarcastic.

That place will be crazy on Sunday.

Maybe we now know why we have six prime time games.

ROFL

You fucker!!!

stevieray
09-15-2017, 06:08 PM
ROFL

You ****er!!!

B52 flyover...

FloridaMan88
09-15-2017, 06:28 PM
49ers playing in a stadium 45 miles away form San Francisco (in Santa Clara) is the approximate mileage distance equivalent of the Chiefs playing their home games in Ottawa, Kansas.

DaneMcCloud
09-15-2017, 06:33 PM
And just think...the Chargers and Rams will both have their LA home opener on the same day, at the same time. That should go well.

The Rams will be fine by the time the new stadium is opened.

The Chargers? Not so much.

They're going to be the Browns but in Los Angeles.

Eleazar
09-15-2017, 06:50 PM
Is the stadium really any hotter than most stadiums at the beginning of the season?

Jacksonville at the beginning of the year will beat anything anywhere.

cmdrzman
09-15-2017, 06:54 PM
Be interesting to see sunday how the Chargers draw with their 1st home game in L.A

I gotta believe you can get tickets for probably $15

Hell, they couldn't draw in San Diego.. And L.A is a Raider market

ILChief
09-15-2017, 07:21 PM
The chargers will end up back in san Diego in a few years with a new stadium. This is all a power move. By having them share the rams stadium it will be easy to move them back

DaneMcCloud
09-15-2017, 07:22 PM
Be interesting to see sunday how the Chargers draw with their 1st home game in L.A

I gotta believe you can get tickets for probably $15dollars

Not even fucking close, you fucking fake Raiders fan

Chief Pagan
09-15-2017, 08:10 PM
49ers playing in a stadium 45 miles away form San Francisco (in Santa Clara) is the approximate mileage distance equivalent of the Chiefs playing their home games in Ottawa, Kansas.

Yeah it would be just like that if Ottawa was part of metropolitan area that has over a million people in it.

Bearcat
09-15-2017, 08:16 PM
High prices + bad product, not hard to figure out.

Eleazar
09-15-2017, 08:25 PM

I gotta believe you can get tickets for probably $15

Hell, they couldn't draw in San Diego.. And L.A is a Raider market

Based on that screenshot from just one of the online ticket sites, it looks like it's going to be a sparse crowd.

And no one will feel sorry for them.

cmdrzman
09-15-2017, 08:29 PM
Not even ****ing close, you ****ing fake Raiders fan

You violent dude-

They play in a 30K stadium for the next 2 years

30k...

Hell a hockey arena is 20k

You wait little man with moustache and let the final numbers come out-

ChiefsCountry
09-15-2017, 08:31 PM
The Rams will be fine by the time the new stadium is opened.

The Chargers? Not so much.

They're going to be the Browns but in Los Angeles.

Browns actually have fans. They sell out for whatever reason.

09-15-2017, 10:34 PM
I had season tickets for basically two years and I chose not to take on the full package when my buddy backed out. I'm going to one game this year and probably won't be going to any more. I love the atmosphere but the price is just getting beyond stupid.

PutQuinnIn
09-15-2017, 11:04 PM
Chargers should be ashamed of themselves, putting out a piss poor product while having highest ticket prices in NFL. I wonder if Raider fans will be able to afford to hostile-takeover the StubHub when they play?

PutQuinnIn
09-15-2017, 11:08 PM
Browns actually have fans. They sell out for whatever reason.

It's Cleveland, what else would there be to do?

RealSNR
09-15-2017, 11:16 PM

Yes.

That stadium has to make all of their Jewish fans really nervous. It feels like an oven.

Psyko Tek
09-15-2017, 11:40 PM

other than the east coast, what else matters?

Psyko Tek
09-15-2017, 11:45 PM
They're going to have to lower ticket prices, period. It's simple economics. It seems to me that they could get ahead of the curve and lower ticket sales preemptively. Why wait for the market to sour so much that you are forced to lower them, and enthusiasm has waned?

Enthusiasm is still relatively high. You could make your desirable product more accessible, and maintain your momentum. Or you can bleed it dry and shutter your doors in 20 years.

what is the price of a decent ticket, 35 yard line bout half way up

or secon d ring middle

eDave
09-16-2017, 01:35 AM
other than the east coast, what else matters?

Another problem.

Eureka
09-16-2017, 01:49 AM
I'm sure the Fade moving out of Cali and announcing it years ahead of time will help this problem too.

Nope. As a Raiders STH I've had more people hit me up for this season for tickets than any other. A winning product sure does help. The Raiders even Raised my cost this year by 400$ after never raising cost for the past decade and I still can sale my tickets for more if I chose to.

The Oakland Coliseum will be packed this year!

It's not because of Cali, higher prices, or politics. People want to see a winning product overall. Or a decent exciting game etc.

kccrow
09-16-2017, 02:14 AM
Ticket Revenues at 2.7 billion versus Broadcast Contracts, Licensing, and Sponsorships creating a Revenue Sharing Pool of around 7.1 billion. The NFL cares about what makes them the most money. I do agree though, image affects the latter as much as the former, and its high time that the NFL reigns in pricing.

Pricing isn't everything. I agree the Chargers belong in San Diego and I fear that the team has been crippled permanently by moving to LA. LA has proven it doesn't adequately support NFL franchises in the past and asking them to support two was lunacy. Just a slurry of bad NFL decisions. I don't see the same crash happening for the Raiders moving to LV, but it could get a bit ugly before it gets better for them as well. If it didn't create a divisional mess, I'd almost advocate for the failure of a few teams because expansion has diluted the product.

kccrow
09-16-2017, 02:17 AM
What's' crazy about the lowering of ticket prices is that I'm not even thinking about the Chiefs and Raiders and people are bitching about it here. The Chiefs are 6th lowest in average in the NFL and the Raiders are 4th. That speaks volumes about how out of control ticket prices have become as a rule.

KChiefs1
09-16-2017, 04:44 AM

Arrowhead is fantastic on opening kickoff weekend & prime time games & playoffs games...otherwise my recliner & fireplace is nice when it's too cold outside. I've gotten too old for games like Tennessee last season.

HemiEd
09-16-2017, 04:53 AM

That is how I read it. Insert California joke here.

jaa1025
09-16-2017, 06:08 AM
1) Prices. Just outrageous. NFL salaries and costs have far outpaced everyone else in the US. It's probably one of the biggest reasons I will never side with the players during a lockout. Who pays for that? Customers. Sorry, I'm not dropping a few hundred to go to a game...ever.

2) Better options. I have a 65 inch 4k TV with a fridge in the kitchen, hot food as I desire to make and much more comfortable seats. Why am I going to spend that much money when I can get a better experience in my own living room. Tailgating? I have a grill and can invite friends. Oh....and I don't have to wait in line trying to enter or leave the stadium.

hometeam
09-16-2017, 06:39 AM
I had season tickets for basically two years and I chose not to take on the full package when my buddy backed out. I'm going to one game this year and probably won't be going to any more. I love the atmosphere but the price is just getting beyond stupid.

This is how I feel a bit.

For years I had an insane hookup for free tickets, I may have gotten a hundred free tickets or more total (some of which I shared with my pals on CP)

But now, that hookup is either gone, or very limited compared to previous years, and Im back to buying tickets.

500 bucks for two tickets, a parking pass, and fees etc for this home opener. If its gonna be like that, I might make one more game this year, which would be my lowest number since we went 2-14, where the only game I came to was the only game we won.

Sucks, because I'm one of those people who just really loves game day, really gets into trying to be loud and get false starts etc, and I have already seen the decline of fans like me and more girls sitting down texting in the seats instead. If I'm gonna pay 500 bucks, I don't want to go and be out there yelling by myself while a bunch of millennial assholes text, on top of every other reason already stated.

stevieray
09-16-2017, 08:33 AM
Crowd has changed. Not nearly as friendly or rowdy.

Halfcan
09-16-2017, 08:43 AM
Nope. As a Raiders STH I've had more people hit me up for this season for tickets than any other. A winning product sure does help. The Raiders even Raised my cost this year by 400$ after never raising cost for the past decade and I still can sale my tickets for more if I chose to.

It's not because of Cali, higher prices, or politics. People want to see a winning product overall. Or a decent exciting game etc.

So the Faders are yanking your team away and even raised up your tickets to help pay for their moving cost- And you guys still pay it?

I would tell them to go fuck themselves in Vegas. :rolleyes:

displacedinMN
09-16-2017, 08:50 AM

Does that mean they will uncover the other 2/3rds of the stadium?

Halfcan
09-16-2017, 09:05 AM

Does that mean they will uncover the other 2/3rds of the stadium?

Hopefully, the sewers will back up again and all their fans can wallow in it. :)

DaneMcCloud
09-16-2017, 09:41 AM
That is how I read it. Insert California joke here.

Except the NFL isn't concerned with the Rams.

The Rams sold all of their season tickets last year and there are very few available season tickets this year.

When only 40,000-50,000 people show up in a stadium that seats 100,000, the optics look bad for sure. But I know a ton of people that have bought into season tickets last year and this year so that they have a better chance at getting great seats in the new stadium when it opens because it increases their chances in the lottery.

Also, Kroenke World will not only be the home of the NFL Network, host several drafts, a Super Bowl and the Rams (not to mention the 2028 Olympics) by the time it opens in 2020, the team should be extremely competitive.

But the Chargers? I don't get it. They couldn't get more than 20,000 people to show up for preseason games. Their 27,000 seat stadium will be dominated by opposing fans (especially Raider week). If the Spanos family felt like the move to Los Angeles was to increase the value of their franchise (the Clippers sold for $2 Billion a few years back. The Clippers!), I think they made a serious misstep.

Plus, what city, outside of San Diego (who really didn't support them like most NFL cities), would fully support the Chargers? Certainly not Los Angeles. San Antonio? Portland? St. Louis? Some other destination? I don't think so.

I think the Chargers are screwed.

Bowser
09-16-2017, 09:45 AM
I'm a complete outsider to the inner workings of the Chargers, but I feel that if Spanos ever sold the team and the new owner would take them back to San Diego, the city would welcome them with open arms. I think San Diego and the Spanos family had a huge falling out over how much the city would throw in on a new stadium, and like you said, Spanos severely overestimated what the LA move would bring in value to the Chargers.

DaneMcCloud
09-16-2017, 09:57 AM
I'm a complete outsider to the inner workings of the Chargers, but I feel that if Spanos ever sold the team and the new owner would take them back to San Diego, the city would welcome them with open arms. I think San Diego and the Spanos family had a huge falling out over how much the city would throw in on a new stadium, and like you said, Spanos severely overestimated what the LA move would bring in value to the Chargers.

I just don't see someone purchasing the Chargers for $2 billion (or even $1.5 billion), building a $1 billion dollar or more stadium and earning a profit.

I've been to at least a dozen Chiefs-Chargers games over the years and the stadium was never full. Most of the time, 40% or more of the people in attendance where Chiefs fans and more than a few times, the crowd was more than 50% Chiefs fans. Raiders fans have dominated that stadium for more than a decade, even when the Raiders sucked.

Also, with declining ratings, it's possible that for the first time in the NFL's existence, TV Rights Fees will decline as well. It's not a certainty, because the NFL has one of the largest, if not the largest, advertising platforms in the US, but it wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility for the fees to plateau.

At that point, a new owner may think twice about buying in and building a stadium, only to see the Cash Cow stop producing as much milk.

KChiefs1
09-16-2017, 10:40 AM

Looking at the week 2 slate of games & there are some really interesting games this week.

Chiefs vs Eagles
Pats vs Saints
Vikings vs Steelers
Cowboys vs Donkos
Packers vs Falcons
Titans vs Jags - I know I know but it interests me

Eleazar
09-17-2017, 03:03 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Rams?src=hash">#Rams</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/NFL?src=hash">#NFL</a> RT <a href="https://twitter.com/LindseyThiry">@LindseyThiry</a>: The optics at the Coliseum are not good when it comes to attendance. <a href="https://t.co/FH449cOYG9">pic.twitter.com/FH449cOYG9</a></p>&mdash; Empty Seats Galore (@EmptySeatsPics) <a href="https://twitter.com/EmptySeatsPics/status/909515918954377218">September 17, 2017</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Eleazar
09-17-2017, 03:04 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">All those empty seats are priceless. For me anyway. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Chargers?src=hash">#Chargers</a> <a href="https://t.co/QADjv0FKeH">pic.twitter.com/QADjv0FKeH</a></p>&mdash; Ross Batchelor (@rossbatchelor9) <a href="https://twitter.com/rossbatchelor9/status/909510833734025216">September 17, 2017</a></blockquote>

Eleazar
09-17-2017, 03:05 PM
50/50 Dolphins fans?

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Another from <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/MIAvsLAC?src=hash">#MIAvsLAC</a>, via <a href="https://twitter.com/thejackwang">@thejackwang</a>. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/NFL?src=hash">#NFL</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Chargers?src=hash">#Chargers</a> <a href="https://t.co/pOG836tDQO">pic.twitter.com/pOG836tDQO</a></p>&mdash; Empty Seats Galore (@EmptySeatsPics) <a href="https://twitter.com/EmptySeatsPics/status/909512425275355138">September 17, 2017</a></blockquote>

Eleazar
09-17-2017, 03:09 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">General Parking at the LA Chargers game is 100 dollars</p>&mdash; Joe Schad (@schadjoe) <a href="https://twitter.com/schadjoe/status/909481608264085504">September 17, 2017</a></blockquote>

Bowser
09-17-2017, 03:12 PM
That's pretty brutal.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">General Parking at the LA Chargers game is 100 dollars</p>&mdash; Joe Schad (@schadjoe) <a href="https://twitter.com/schadjoe/status/909481608264085504">September 17, 2017</a></blockquote>

Hahahha. No. Uber down to that bitch.

MMXcalibur
09-17-2017, 03:16 PM
Tell me again how LA was a good idea.

displacedinMN
09-17-2017, 03:22 PM
turned on chargers. Both team go in the same tunnel. That is a lot of cattle to get through that small chute.

displacedinMN
09-17-2017, 03:28 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">CBS Loses Dan Fouts For Season After Blowing Out Larynx On Routine Anecdote <a href="https://t.co/WkLZNqfhOJ">https://t.co/WkLZNqfhOJ</a> <a href="https://t.co/dyhKaYslJM">pic.twitter.com/dyhKaYslJM</a></p>&mdash; The Onion (@TheOnion) <a href="https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/909528166401761280">September 17, 2017</a></blockquote>

stevieray
09-17-2017, 03:34 PM

fuck that

WilliamTheIrish
09-17-2017, 05:13 PM
I gave up my season tickets after the debacle of hiring Gunther. His last game where the Chiefs blew a 17-0 lead and lost the game and the division on a Joe Nedney FG in OT. Swore I'd never go back until they drafted a QB. So...

Today was my first trip inside the stadium since 01/02/2000. Sat in the gold level. Enjoyed a great day with friends. But that's about all. The game day experience is not what I remember. It gets loud like the old days. But it just wasn't that impressive to me.

The possibility certainly exists that it's me that's changed. I'm sure I'm not the same person who took his son to so many games. I'll take a day of watching baseball over that game today.

Although Darren Sproles is still awesome.

siberian khatru
09-17-2017, 05:20 PM
Goddamn fucking Cowboys

DaneMcCloud
09-17-2017, 05:21 PM
25,000 at the Chargers game.

Pathetic

scho63
09-17-2017, 06:54 PM
I gave up my season tickets after the debacle of hiring Gunther. His last game where the Chiefs blew a 17-0 lead and lost the game and the division on a Joe Nedney FG in OT. Swore I'd never go back until they drafted a QB. So...

Today was my first trip inside the stadium since 01/02/2000. Sat in the gold level. Enjoyed a great day with friends. But that's about all. The game day experience is not what I remember. It gets loud like the old days. But it just wasn't that impressive to me.

The possibility certainly exists that it's me that's changed. I'm sure I'm not the same person who took his son to so many games. I'll take a day of watching baseball over that game today.

Surprised you posted this here and not in one of the KC threads....:hmmm:

TLO
09-17-2017, 07:00 PM
25,000 at the Chargers game.

Pathetic

That's actually pretty hilarious

Eleazar
09-17-2017, 07:04 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-conversation="none" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">From earlier: 56,612 announced at <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/WASvsLAR?src=hash">#WASvsLAR</a> (Week 1: 60,128). <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/NFL?src=hash">#NFL</a> <a href="https://t.co/mevU4fP1rT">pic.twitter.com/mevU4fP1rT</a></p>&mdash; Empty Seats Galore (@EmptySeatsPics) <a href="https://twitter.com/EmptySeatsPics/status/909575525500440576">September 18, 2017</a></blockquote>

ThaVirus
09-17-2017, 07:05 PM
Parking in basically any major Californian city is horrid..

Hopefully Chiefs fans can take that little shithole stadium over next week.

Eleazar
09-17-2017, 07:08 PM
That's actually pretty hilarious

When you consider about half of them were dolphins fans?

Also, they showed the owner on the videoboard and he was booed. Game 1

TLO
09-17-2017, 07:10 PM

How drunk are you?

ping2000
09-17-2017, 07:41 PM
Is this a Cali only issue?

POND_OF_RED
09-17-2017, 10:02 PM
USC vs Texas attendance last night- 84,714
Combined attendance for Rams and Chargers games today- 81,993

oaklandhater
09-17-2017, 10:08 PM

http://oak.247sports.com/Bolt/Raiders-sellout-first-home-game-of-2017-season-on-Sunday-107590996

Raiders are doing fine and parking is dirty cheap here.

It's a Los angels issue.

oaklandhater
09-17-2017, 10:08 PM
USC vs Texas attendance last night- 84,714
Combined attendance for Rams and Chargers games today- 81,993

College Football is cheap as hell next to NFL prices.

The niners can go right to hell Their pricing is bullshit to sit out in the heat.

DaneMcCloud
09-17-2017, 10:11 PM

Plenty of gold seats empty at the Chiefs game

cdcox
09-17-2017, 10:12 PM
The brain injury thing is by far the biggest threat to the NFL.

Prison Bitch
09-17-2017, 10:14 PM

There were 75,000 there today, dipshit

GloucesterChief
09-17-2017, 10:16 PM
USC > Rams & Chargers combined.

GloryDayz
09-17-2017, 10:21 PM
I think the biggest problem is just prices.

Arrowhead would pack every game if they cut parking 2/3rds and lowered ticket prices 15%.

Of course, that would cost the teams money, which is what this is really about.

The NFL isn't concerned about empty stadiums, they're concerned about money. If they wanted to pack stadiums, it would be insanely easy.

I agree.

chiefzilla1501
09-17-2017, 10:47 PM
Prices are far from the only issue.

The NFL has been dying a slow death for years. Because every single step of the way, the owners/Goodell have chosen money over the right thing to do. They gladly restricted TV viewership while other sports have expanded to make games more accessible. Their merchandise is so unaffordable. They've made football completely unwatchable for bad teams. Players aren't allowed to have personalities. Maybe a clue about why the NFL is struggling to find marketable superstars post-Peyton. Most NFL stadiums are doing fine with ticket sales, but who are they trying to bring in? Is it the loud, screaming nuts or is it the guy who sits down all game.. maybe a hint as to why fan noise seems to be getting more and more sterile? There's only so many ways you can make a game unaccessible to the average fan before you start to lose the diehards. That's the big difference I've seen. It's amazing to me how many diehard friends or even bars have just had the energy deflated out of them.

BryanBusby
09-17-2017, 10:57 PM
It's 95% price.

Fuck paying 35 dollars to park a car, 11 dollars a beer and 100 something a ticket for a decent seat.

Between parking, food and drinks for a family of 4 you're easily out around $500 for everything.

$500 is a lot of money to most people.

beach tribe
09-17-2017, 11:03 PM

The popularity got so huge that they thought they could do no wrong.

they were wrong ..

baitism
09-17-2017, 11:06 PM
The parking and getting to the game sucks balls. Why hasn't KC invested in a shuttle service to Truman Sports Complex? If I didn't have to pay through my teeth for parking, I would be more likely to come.

Econ 101 would say lower ticket prices, but that would require the NFL to swallow their pride.

beach tribe
09-17-2017, 11:13 PM
It's 95% price.

**** paying 35 dollars to park a car, 11 dollars a beer and 100 something a ticket for a decent seat.

Between parking, food and drinks for a family of 4 you're easily out around $500 for everything.

I don't want to start shit with Dane because we've been through it too many times, but way back I tried to make this point and somehow Dane and I got into an argument over what percentage of the population makes over 6 figures.
Talking about individual incomes here.
I tried to tell him that the majority of people in America do not make that much.
He thought I was an idiot and said everyone he knows does.
Dane is very successful and his friends are as well and they live in an affluent area.
NFL executives are the same way.
They think because they have disposable income that most people do as well.
The truth is, however, that the majority of people are just getting by and $500 is a pretty steep weekend.

BryanBusby
09-18-2017, 12:02 AM
I don't want to start shit with Dane because we've been through it too many times, but way back I tried to make this point and somehow Dane and I got into an argument over what percentage of the population makes over 6 figures.
I tried to tell him that the majority of people in America do not make that much.
Dane is very successful and his friends are as well and they live in an affluent area.
The truth is, however, that the majority of people are just getting by and $500 is a pretty steep weekend.
A lot of stable income households can come up with $500 dollars, but it's just a shitty way to get 3 hours of entertainment.

The value isn't there.

Bowser
09-18-2017, 12:18 AM

Most likely the people that belonged to those empty seats were inside the club level enjoying the amenities in there. Lots of big screens inside the club level with some decent bars and couches to watch the game.

Rausch
09-18-2017, 12:30 AM
Perhaps SF should give discounts to BLM and Antifa...

GloryDayz
09-18-2017, 05:56 AM
Prices are far from the only issue.

The NFL has been dying a slow death for years. Because every single step of the way, the owners/Goodell have chosen money over the right thing to do. They gladly restricted TV viewership while other sports have expanded to make games more accessible. Their merchandise is so unaffordable. They've made football completely unwatchable for bad teams. Players aren't allowed to have personalities. Maybe a clue about why the NFL is struggling to find marketable superstars post-Peyton. Most NFL stadiums are doing fine with ticket sales, but who are they trying to bring in? Is it the loud, screaming nuts or is it the guy who sits down all game.. maybe a hint as to why fan noise seems to be getting more and more sterile? There's only so many ways you can make a game unaccessible to the average fan before you start to lose the diehards. That's the big difference I've seen. It's amazing to me how many diehard friends or even bars have just had the energy deflated out of them.

Quality post. I still go on occasion, heck I even looked at tix Saturday (and there were plenty), but my days of being a STH are probably done. It's mostly price for me, the NFL just can't resist raping you, twice, at every turn, and that sucks!

GloryDayz
09-18-2017, 06:05 AM
A lot of stable income households can come up with $500 dollars, but it's just a shitty way to get 3 hours of entertainment.

The value isn't there.

Ding ding ding ding ding...

It doesn't mean we don't love our Chiefs, it means the "value" isn't there. And while value is defined in the eye of the beholder, the more you charge the more people will want in return.

Eleazar
09-18-2017, 06:24 AM

I think $500 is a conservative estimate as to what a family of four would have to spend to attend a game.

The bottom line is probably that a middle class family that has $500 looks at $500-600-700) to attend a single Chiefs game and sees that it would cost them a big chunk of a house payment, a big portion of their kids' Christmas gifts, a sizeable chunk of money toward a family vacation, etc. More and more middle class people are deciding that those things are more important than one football game.

We all say the same things here. Even though most of us have plenty of disposable income, we say that for the money it costs, the hassle of congestion, missing most of a quarter in line for the bathroom, drunks, weather, the possibility of a poor performance ruining the whole day, whatever -

People on CP every day type that it's not worth the money for one person versus the comfort of one's couch. Why would it be different for a family of four?

Eleazar
09-18-2017, 06:31 AM
As an addendum, especially for people who aren't local - for two people to attend a game you're probably at or above the cost of a whole season of Sunday Ticket.

Eleazar
09-18-2017, 06:32 AM
http://oak.247sports.com/Bolt/Raiders-sellout-first-home-game-of-2017-season-on-Sunday-107590996

Raiders are doing fine and parking is dirty cheap here.

It's a Los angels issue.

Raiders are fine... that's why there are as many tarps as people and they're moving to another state

Prison Bitch
09-18-2017, 06:46 AM
Raiders are fine... that's why there are as many tarps as people and they're moving to another state

These califOrnian posters are real doozies no?

Reerun_KC
09-18-2017, 07:04 AM
7+ hour drive to the game, hotel, meals, fuel, tickets, parking all for what? Probably a $1200 + weekend.

Now if Mahomes is playing. The value would be considered. Whom and I kidding. Still wouldn't go. The home experience beats the stadium experience every day.

dirk digler
09-18-2017, 07:05 AM
I agree with the others that empty stadiums is about the cost of attending a NFL game and the home TV experience. I can't believe for example the Chiefs raised parking to $60\game (yeah I know you can buy the pass online for $30 or whatever). It is still extremely high for this area. Then you get into the stadium and the price for food and drinks is outrageous as well. It is just not worth it for the average Joe. I hope alot of the owners look at what Arthur Blank did and follow suit.

For me personally I used to go to 4-5 games a year but anymore it is just a hassle and I would rather lay on the couch and watch the Chiefs and other games with ST on my 60-inch Samsung.

DaneMcCloud
09-18-2017, 07:55 AM
There were 75,000 there today, dipshit

Hey fuckface, I saw it clearly on TV.

Go fuck yourself, Bitch.

DaneMcCloud
09-18-2017, 07:57 AM
Most likely the people that belonged to those empty seats were inside the club level enjoying the amenities in there. Lots of big screens inside the club level with some decent bars and couches to watch the game.

Weird.

I also noticed that at many of the venues yesterday, cameras didn't bother showing the entirety of the stadiums.

Eleazar
09-18-2017, 08:04 AM
Take the announced attendance at both the Rams and Chargers games.

The Rams claimed that 56,000 tickets were 'distributed'. The Chargers claimed that 25,000 attended their game. These numbers are a complete joke, as both places were about half road fans and the Rams game doesn't appear to have been near halfway full, but let's just take them at their word and say that 81,000 people attended an NFL game in Los Angeles yesterday.

The LA Metro area is over 12 million people, so this would be the equivalent of the attendance in Kansas City (~2 million) being, what? 12,000?

DaneMcCloud
09-18-2017, 08:14 AM
These califOrnian posters are real doozies no?

You're a lowlife, National Enquirer reading, bitchy housewife.

Shut the fuck up, Cunt.

DaneMcCloud
09-18-2017, 08:19 AM
Take the announced attendance at both the Rams and Chargers games.

The Rams claimed that 56,000 tickets were 'distributed'. The Chargers claimed that 25,000 attended their game. These numbers are a complete joke, as both places were about half road fans and the Rams game doesn't appear to have been near halfway full, but let's just take them at their word and say that 81,000 people attended an NFL game in Los Angeles yesterday.

The LA Metro area is over 12 million people, so this would be the equivalent of the attendance in Kansas City (~2 million) being, what? 12,000?

You won't find ONE person that thought the Chargers move to Los Angleles would be successful. No one wanted them here and ticket sales will suck.

The Rams, on the other hand, had enormous crowds last year during preseason and broke an NFL record with nearly 90,000 in attendance. But the team sucked, so people stopped going during the course of the regular season but until they put a consistent winner on the field, they're going to struggle with filling the stadium.

There are much better ways to spend a Sunday than sitting in a 95 year old stadium watching a bad football team.

Prison Bitch
09-18-2017, 08:50 AM
Hey ****face, I saw it clearly on TV.

Go **** yourself, Bitch.

"I saw it on tv!!!"

ROFL

DaneMcCloud
09-18-2017, 08:57 AM
"I saw it on tv!!!"

ROFL

Oh, fuck off.

Clearly visible. Had I not deleted the game last night, I'd have transferred the video to my computer.

Cunt.

O.city
09-18-2017, 09:00 AM
Hogs get slaughtered

Prison Bitch
09-18-2017, 09:09 AM
Oh, **** off.

Clearly visible. Had I not deleted the game last night, I'd have transferred the video to my computer.

We don't need your bullshit screenshots of the crowd right after halftime. We have game photos

https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/xdlxGcSrztU9i8E5tDXDOhMxPU0=/0x0:4704x2945/1200x800/filters:focal(2814x124:3566x876)/cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/56720021/usa_today_10287261.0.jpg

http://media.gettyimages.com/photos/tight-end-travis-kelce-of-the-kansas-city-chiefs-leaps-over-defenders-picture-id848531146

http://www.lindyssports.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/KareemHunt1-610x354.jpg

http://www.csnphilly.com/sites/csnphilly/files/styles/gallery_image/public/2017/09/17/ap_imageschiefs_stadium.jpg?itok=Mwvsj15x&timestamp=1505677928

The crowd was excellent.

BigCatDaddy
09-18-2017, 09:13 AM

I just dropped 700 dollars to see a Royals game and an NBA pre-season rather than give these douche bags 1 dime.

Hoover
09-18-2017, 09:20 AM
Chargers charged 100 bucks to park. WTF?

DaneMcCloud
09-18-2017, 09:45 AM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">it&#39;s official - <a href="https://twitter.com/Chargers">@chargers</a> San Diego TV ratings OFF 53% vs 2016&#39;s 1st home game also week 2 <a href="https://twitter.com/troyhirschfox5">@troyhirschfox5</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/FredNBCLA">@fredNBCLA</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/sdutPosner">@sdutPosner</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/SInow">@SInow</a> <a href="https://t.co/5CpvYdB4qG">pic.twitter.com/5CpvYdB4qG</a></p>&mdash; NotAtAllUnited (@NotAtAllUnited) <a href="https://twitter.com/NotAtAllUnited/status/909787836919930882">September 18, 2017</a></blockquote>

DaneMcCloud
09-18-2017, 09:47 AM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">This isn&#39;t Fargo. It&#39;s LA. 25,000 for home opener is pathetic &amp; it&#39;s not because of anthem protests. It&#39;s called jerking around your fans</p>&mdash; Marty Caswell (@MartyCaswell) <a href="https://twitter.com/MartyCaswell/status/909658709034278912">September 18, 2017</a></blockquote>

DaneMcCloud
09-18-2017, 09:47 AM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">One player noted how loud visiting fans were when Chargers offense had ball on last drive. Just wait until next week with Chiefs coming</p>&mdash; Marty Caswell (@MartyCaswell) <a href="https://twitter.com/MartyCaswell/status/909572925627424773">September 18, 2017</a></blockquote>

WilliamTheIrish
09-18-2017, 09:52 AM
Surprised you posted this here and not in one of the KC threads....:hmmm:

Eh.. seemed like a good place to put it.

Bowser
09-18-2017, 09:56 AM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">One player noted how loud visiting fans were when Chargers offense had ball on last drive. Just wait until next week with Chiefs coming</p>&mdash; Marty Caswell (@MartyCaswell) <a href="https://twitter.com/MartyCaswell/status/909572925627424773">September 18, 2017</a></blockquote>

Seriously. I bet CBS does all it can to not show on TV how 60-70% of that stadium is decked out in red.

You going?

Eleazar
09-18-2017, 09:57 AM
I hope there are enough Chiefs fans there to make them use a silent count

DaneMcCloud
09-18-2017, 10:08 AM
Seriously. I bet CBS does all it can to not show on TV how 60-70% of that stadium is decked out in red.

You going?

I watched most of the Dolphins-Chargers game yesterday. When CBS broke for and came back from a commercial break, they showed the Palm trees outside of the Stub Hub center and had a HUGE block sized graphic that covered the stadium. Very rarely did they show any seats above the lower level.

I thought about going but it's a just too much of a hassle. Good seats are $250+ and parking is $100 dollars. Sunday traffic on the 405 is ridiculous, too. If I Uber'd from my house, it would easily be more than $100.

I went to a Rams game last year and arrived early. There was literally nothing to do while waiting for the game to start, other than bake in the 90 degree sun. I think I'll wait until Kroenke world opens.

lcarus
09-18-2017, 10:13 AM
It's 95% price.

Fuck paying 35 dollars to park a car, 11 dollars a beer and 100 something a ticket for a decent seat.

$500 is a lot of money to me, but even if it wasn't, I would still rather watch it on tv. When I was a kid there was nothing better than going to a Chiefs game on a cold Sunday morning. Even in my shitty section 110 under the row of televisions where you couldn't see a thing, it was fun. Last game I went to people were complaining about the people in front of them standing up on a defensive 3rd down. The atmosphere just isn't the same. Or I'm not perceiving it the same. I haven't been up there in 2 years. Probably won't go this year either.

Otter
09-18-2017, 10:16 AM
I watched most of the Dolphins-Chargers game yesterday. When CBS broke for and came back from a commercial break, they showed the Palm trees outside of the Stub Hub center and had a HUGE block sized graphic that covered the stadium. Very rarely did they show any seats above the lower level.

I thought about going but it's a just too much of a hassle. Good seats are $250+ and parking is $100 dollars. Sunday traffic on the 405 is ridiculous, too. If I Uber'd from my house, it would easily be more than $100.

I went to a Rams game last year and arrived early. There was literally nothing to do while waiting for the game to start, other than bake in the 90 degree sun. I think I'll wait until Kroenke world opens. If you ever find yourself on the east coast the Baltimore Ravens stadium is easily one of the coolest game day experience I've seen. Park your car and walk to pretty much anything you want to do before and after the game. Just keep the kids in tight tow because the good and bad side of the tracks happen real quick.

TripleThreat
09-18-2017, 10:20 AM
I heard it was 95+ degrees in santaclara yesterday, and I am sure LA was even hotter, so at "start of half" when most ppl are refilling drinks/bathroom breaks/food breaks, its hard to judge that picture at face value...

I do agree though, that ratings and people attending games have lowered all-over, and I for one think its a good thing, and will help to remind the big guys running the NFL that ultimately we are the reason they are rich, so don't treat us like cattle.

DaneMcCloud
09-18-2017, 10:30 AM
I heard it was 95+ degrees in santaclara yesterday, and I am sure LA was even hotter, so at "start of half" when most ppl are refilling drinks/bathroom breaks/food breaks, its hard to judge that picture at face value...

It was 73 degrees where I live in Los Angeles yesterday. I had friends at the game yesterday and it was 74 degrees in Carson.

dirk digler
09-18-2017, 11:53 AM
I see SDSU drew 43k at Qualcomm on Saturday. How embarrassing for the Chargers.

Prison Bitch
09-18-2017, 11:55 AM

Sad that this had to be explained to Dane

DaneMcCloud
09-18-2017, 11:57 AM
Sad that this had to be explained to Dane

I haven't been to Arrowhead Stadium since 1992, Bitch.

What's "sad" is that you're a pathetic cunt.

Prison Bitch
09-18-2017, 12:02 PM
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTLJ5He_lr9L4rNbnTSRaPE6THulXDTTgnvgUSKLh-aPLeIHv1Q

"Hey look guys, I told you those gold seats were empty" - McLoudmouth

Marcellus
09-18-2017, 12:02 PM
Lots of Eagles fans yesterday but the stadium was full and rocking pretty good.

A lot like Arrowhead in the 90's.

I didn't see a single belligerent drunk asshole or anything rowdy before, during, or after the game.

I did see a lot of fans chatting with the Eagles fans and talking football.

All in all a great time.

The Franchise
09-18-2017, 12:03 PM
At this point....even if the Chiefs played the 49ers here....I wouldn't go see them. I'm not spending that amount of money and time to drive into that shithole of a city to be surrounded by a bunch of drunk fucking idiots.

Unless it's a special trip to KC.....I don't plan on watching a live football game for a LONG time.

O.city
09-18-2017, 12:05 PM
At this point....even if the Chiefs played the 49ers here....I wouldn't go see them. I'm not spending that amount of money and time to drive into that shithole of a city to be surrounded by a bunch of drunk ****ing idiots.

Unless it's a special trip to KC.....I don't plan on watching a live football game for a LONG time.

I think it's not necessarily one thing but all of them combined.

Hd capability now sitting on the coach, the price of games and such etc. the league has overplayed its hand a bit imo

DaneMcCloud
09-18-2017, 12:05 PM
"Hey look guys, I told you those gold seats were empty" - McLoudmouth

Shut the fuck up.

What the fuck's wrong with you, besides the obvious?

dirk digler
09-18-2017, 12:13 PM
Lots of Eagles fans yesterday but the stadium was full and rocking pretty good.

A lot like Arrowhead in the 90's.

I didn't see a single belligerent drunk asshole or anything rowdy before, during, or after the game.

I did see a lot of fans chatting with the Eagles fans and talking football.

All in all a great time.

Except in the 90's there wasn't alot of opposing fans showing up. It seems to me that is becoming more the norm these days.

Prison Bitch
09-18-2017, 12:17 PM
Except in the 90's there wasn't alot of opposing fans showing up. It seems to me that is becoming more the norm these days.

I went in 2005 vs Eagles and they were all out in force. And shrouded the Plaza the night before. I don't think this is new.

In the 80s, Raiders and Donkey fans were everywhere and whenever the 49ers or Cowboys or premier team came, it was 50-50

O.city
09-18-2017, 12:26 PM
It's a lot easier to get tickets now with StubHub and Ticketmaster etc

dirk digler
09-18-2017, 12:27 PM
I went in 2005 vs Eagles and they were all out in force. And shrouded the Plaza the night before. I don't think this is new.

In the 80s, Raiders and Donkey fans were everywhere and whenever the 49ers or Cowboys or premier team came, it was 50-50

I worked Security for the Chiefs for 6 years in the 90's and don't really remember that many opposing fans showing up but my memory could be failing me. I know tickets were hard to come by and back then there was no Stubhub like there is now. The last game I went to was in Oct 2015 against the Steelers and half the stadium was Steeler fans.

DaneMcCloud
09-18-2017, 12:29 PM
It's a lot easier to get tickets now with StubHub and Ticketmaster etc

Plus, certain teams travel better than others.

A friend of mine that lives in SoCal purchased Club Level seats at Arrowhead for the Steelers game this October, which cost him $350 per ticket.

Isn't that way more than face value?

O.city
09-18-2017, 12:31 PM
Plus, certain teams travel better than others.

A friend of mine that lives in SoCal purchased Club Level seats at Arrowhead for the Steelers game this October, which cost him $350 per ticket.

Isn't that way more than face value?

For club level seats, I don't think so. Not sure tho

DaneMcCloud
09-18-2017, 12:34 PM
For club level seats, I don't think so. Not sure tho

Yeah, I have no idea.

The tickets are sold out via the Chiefs, so it's Stub Hub or the like for tickets at this point, which are usually jacked up (at least out here).

Chief_For_Life58
09-18-2017, 12:34 PM
I mean the chiefs stadium yesterday was 80% full. Drop the ticket prices retards. Don't need a economic masters degree to realize you need to drop the price to increase the demand

O.city
09-18-2017, 12:36 PM
Drop the price and fill up the stadium will end up making them the same money as an 80% full stadium at current prices

DaneMcCloud
09-18-2017, 12:37 PM
I mean the chiefs stadium yesterday was 80% full. Drop the ticket prices retards. Don't need a economic masters degree to realize you need to drop the price to increase the demand

Don't tell that to Prison Bitch or she'll neg rep you

dirk digler
09-18-2017, 12:41 PM
Yeah, I have no idea.

The tickets are sold out via the Chiefs, so it's Stub Hub or the like for tickets at this point, which are usually jacked up (at least out here).

Looking at the Chiefs website to buy tickets (not enabling the resale button) they are around that much. There is alot of tickets available for each game, I am actually surprised by that.

Hoover
09-18-2017, 12:42 PM
Look, San Fran's crowds will return once they start winning again.

The real issue I see is with exspansion teams or teams that move.

The NFL badly wanted back into the LA market, but they messed up by wanting to locate two teams there. I think the Rams can be sucssful in time, but I don't see how it works with the Chargers. The Raiders are going to be interesting to watch too. Vegas will rock and roll when they are good, but watch out when things get bad.

The Chargers should have never left San Diago. That was just a horrible move.

DaneMcCloud
09-18-2017, 12:44 PM
Looking at the Chiefs website to buy tickets (not enabling the resale button) they are around that much. There is alot of tickets available for each game, I am actually surprised by that.

Interesting, I thought it would be sold out as well.

Prison Bitch
"Look at all the empties!" -McLoudmouth
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSysUwzaQYVN3eH4uYlExQ29HjCu6XZ8N-iDziuHNSatM71eQ0z

gblowfish
Basic parking at the gate (if you didn't buy in advance) is $60!

WhawhaWhat
09-18-2017, 12:46 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Chargers?src=hash">#Chargers</a> miss the field goal to lose the game, stadium accidentally sets off the celebratory fireworks ��</p>&mdash; RedditCFB (@RedditCFB) <a href="https://twitter.com/RedditCFB/status/909552214020100097">September 17, 2017</a></blockquote>

DaneMcCloud
09-18-2017, 12:46 PM
The NFL badly wanted back into the LA market, but they messed up by wanting to locate two teams there. I think the Rams can be sucssful in time, but I don't see how it works with the Chargers.

The Chargers don't have a realistic chance to be successful in Los Angeles. Either the Spanos family will need to sell, so that the team is relocated again, or something needs to be worked out with San Diego.

It's had epic disaster written all over it from Day One.

The Raiders are going to be interesting to watch too. Vegas will rock and roll when they are good, but watch out when things get bad.

Cheap flights to Vegas, in addition to only a 3.5 hour drive from Los Angeles, almost insures that the Raiders will play to capacity to near capacity crowds.

KranzDictum
09-18-2017, 12:47 PM

Chiefs couldn't sell out their home opener yesterday after beating the Pats on the road?

That should tell their Front Office there is something wrong.

DaneMcCloud
09-18-2017, 12:47 PM
"Look at all the empties!" -McLoudmouth

http://media.philly.com/images/600*450/CHIEFS33.jpg

Your obsession with me is sick.

Are you planning to neg rep and stalk this guy, too?

O.city
09-18-2017, 12:48 PM
The raiders in vegas will be full of opposing fans but it'll be packed

Hell were already planning it as a yearly trip

gblowfish
09-18-2017, 12:50 PM
I think the reason you're seeing more visiting fans at Arrowhead is, KC is a good vacation destination city. If you buy an upstairs seat at Arrowhead, it's reasonably affordable. Hotels are reasonable, BBQ is a pilgrimage, lots of entertaining things to do, good music scene, etc. Green Bay, Pittsburgh, Denver and Raiders fans seem to be the ones who come to KC in the largest numbers. There were a bunch of Bears fans here when Chicago beat us here a couple years back. Viking fans travel too, but they haven't played at Arrowhead in awhile. Arrowhead will NEVER lower the cost of Season Tickets. They're just not going to do that. Ever.

Marcellus
09-18-2017, 12:51 PM
Chiefs couldn't sell out their home opener yesterday after beating the Pats on the road?

That should tell their Front Office there is something wrong.

The game was sold out dipshit. You don't have to sell every single ticket for a "sell out" but your dumb ass wouldn't understand that.

RunKC
09-18-2017, 12:52 PM
According to ESPN app, the stadium was 98% full with just under 75k in attendance

DaneMcCloud

Exactly. I'm not sure what they're thinking because it's very likely that the stadium will have 40% or more opposing fans.

I don't see how that's good for the Raiders.

Marcellus

I hadn't thought about that, Im going to have to plan something.

Marcellus
According to ESPN app, the stadium was 98% full with just under 75k in attendance

It was full.

DaneMcCloud
09-18-2017, 12:53 PM

Bowser must be correct. The empty seats I saw on TV yesterday meant that people were elsewhere in the stadium yesterday.

Eleazar
09-18-2017, 12:55 PM
The announced attendance for the Chiefs yesterday was 74,971. That would make the stadium about 98% filled (about 1400 seats left)

(Haha - the Chiefs drew about a Chargers crowd more than the LA Rams did)

KranzDictum
09-18-2017, 12:56 PM
The game was sold out dipshit. You don't have to sell every single ticket for a "sell out" but your dumb ass wouldn't understand that.

I understand that they sold the tickets but that people with tickets don't always show up.

I didn't get to see the game, the highlights I saw had a lot of empty's in the upperdeck though. The club level never sells out.

Marcellus
09-18-2017, 12:56 PM
Bowser must be correct. The empty seats I saw on TV yesterday meant that people were elsewhere in the stadium yesterday.

Look, I was at the game, it was full. There were times where people were going in and out etc...so seats didn't have butts in them but it was full.

Was it capacity? No but it was damn full. The parking lot was as full as I have seen it in years and the concourse was heavy heavy traffic.

The gold level allows people to watch from inside so there were a lot of seats as usual with no one in them but there was a point in the game I looked around and you couldn't hardly spot an empty seat in the upper and lower sections.

dirk digler
09-18-2017, 12:57 PM
Interesting, I thought it would be sold out as well.

There is a shit ton of single game tickets for sale for the MNF game against the Donkeys. This can't be right...

O.city
09-18-2017, 01:16 PM
I hadn't thought about that, Im going to have to plan something.

Flights from springfield to vegas are cheap, out there on Friday and back Monday morning. Stay on the strip, watch football?

Yeah, tough sell for me lol

GloryDayz
09-18-2017, 01:42 PM
I agree with the others that empty stadiums is about the cost of attending a NFL game and the home TV experience. I can't believe for example the Chiefs raised parking to $60\game (yeah I know you can buy the pass online for $30 or whatever). It is still extremely high for this area. Then you get into the stadium and the price for food and drinks is outrageous as well. It is just not worth it for the average Joe. I hope alot of the owners look at what Arthur Blank did and follow suit.

For me personally I used to go to 4-5 games a year but anymore it is just a hassle and I would rather lay on the couch and watch the Chiefs and other games with ST on my 60-inch Samsung.

What was that?

GloryDayz
09-18-2017, 01:46 PM
Chargers charged 100 bucks to park. WTF?

Making up for years of being in St. Louis where they didn't have a lot to charge for parking?

GloryDayz
09-18-2017, 01:47 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">This isn&#39;t Fargo. It&#39;s LA. 25,000 for home opener is pathetic &amp; it&#39;s not because of anthem protests. It&#39;s called jerking around your fans</p>&mdash; Marty Caswell (@MartyCaswell) <a href="https://twitter.com/MartyCaswell/status/909658709034278912">September 18, 2017</a></blockquote>

Fargo has, without a doubt, some of the most awesome people I've ever met.