PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Zero pressure early, tons late

Shaid
09-17-2017, 01:58 PM
Two weeks in a row. No pressure most of the game and suddenly it gets turned on. Is this scheme or what? Do that the whole game and we destroy teams.

ThaVirus
09-17-2017, 02:16 PM
Scheme, I'd have to imagine, though gaining big leads in the 4th quarter helps the pass rushers immensely.

The same thing happened last week. We seemed content to rush 3 and drop 8 until the 4th quarter when we unleash Justin Houston.

Eleazar
09-17-2017, 02:18 PM
When the eagles had to pass, we generated some pressure. Most of the game Wentz could have set up a lawn chair back there.

OldSchool
09-17-2017, 02:18 PM
Scheme, I'd have to imagine, though gaining big leads in the 4th quarter helps the pass rushers immensely.

The same thing happened last week. We seemed content to rush 3 and drop 8 until the 4th quarter when we unleash Justin Houston.

Not just that. It seems like the DTs get the green to pass rush instead of contain as well.

Shaid
09-17-2017, 02:22 PM
Not just that. It seems like the DTs get the green to pass rush instead of contain as well.

It seems like they are all playing contain most of the time, which is fine when you need to stop the run. You can see how effective Houston is at that especially. I just think you need to unleash the hounds a bit more earlier on at times as well. We probably play that way because we're in Man so often. In zone you can be a bit more aggressive up front.

scho63
09-17-2017, 02:29 PM
It's not how you start, it's how you finish!

OldSchool
09-17-2017, 02:31 PM
It's not how you start, it's how you finish!

It's actually really nice to see KC finally have both the offense and defense pour it on late in the game.

Simply Red
09-17-2017, 02:37 PM
i DO think this is a Sutton strategy - said as much last week.

Simply Red
09-17-2017, 02:37 PM
That said; not sure why, exactly - but whatever.

Easy 6
09-17-2017, 02:38 PM
Sasquatch Jones and Houston both had awesome games

eDave
09-17-2017, 02:38 PM
Rope a dope.

trd84
09-17-2017, 02:44 PM
up 2 scores in the 4th makes the other offense one dimensional. the defense can pin their ears back and rush the passer.

Shaid
09-17-2017, 03:02 PM
up 2 scores in the 4th makes the other offense one dimensional. the defense can pin their ears back and rush the passer.

That's true but there were obvious pass situations where we didn't seem to put a bunch of heat on either. I think it is a lot of contain play. Basically, it's play not to lose D. So far it's working but damn we just look inept early and it leaves the D out on the field instead of forcing some 3 and outs. We honestly don't need to blitz either, we can get there rushing 4.

Shaid
09-17-2017, 03:02 PM
Sasquatch Jones and Houston both had awesome games

Yes they did.

notorious
09-17-2017, 03:05 PM
"Zero Pressure Early, Tons Late"

Sound like me after a bar night out with a Taco Tico closer.

chiefzilla1501
09-17-2017, 03:06 PM
I think ChiefsPlanet would get a boner if we threw in 5 pass rushers on every single play. Fortunately, I think our defense is actually a nightmare for a lot of QBs. Wentz is a good QB. But I love the idea of forcing you to beat you with his mind. Brady is a quick strike QB who can find the hot read every time if you throw blitzes. Wentz is a slippery QB who sneakily is really good at buying himself time to throw.

And I think as a byproduct of this, I think we're one of the few defenses that are wearing offenses out.

Hog's Gone Fishin
09-17-2017, 03:07 PM
It's Suttons strategy and it's obviously a good one.

Reerun_KC
09-17-2017, 03:13 PM
People need to stop questioning Buttons D. Pudding for everyone!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pugsnotdrugs19
09-17-2017, 04:29 PM
Our pass rush has the talent and potential to be deadly... it has not been consistent yet though. Largely due to scheme to my eye.

stevieray
09-17-2017, 04:40 PM
Rope a dope.

Ya, Mitch and Kendall alluded to this...not showing cards early

threebag
09-17-2017, 04:44 PM
"Zero Pressure Early, Tons Late"

Sound like me after a bar night out with a Taco Tico closer.

Fuck I gave a thumbs down on accident. Too bad I can't change it

milkman
09-17-2017, 04:44 PM
Our pass rush has the talent and potential to be deadly... it has not been consistent yet though. Largely due to scheme to my eye.

Lots of 3 man rushes throughout much of the first 3 qtrs.

This front has enough talent that blitzing isn't a necessity, but more 4 man rushes would be much appreciated.

More good things happen on defense with pressure than with max coverage.

pugsnotdrugs19
09-17-2017, 04:49 PM
Lots of 3 man rushes throughout much of the first 3 qtrs.

This front has enough talent that blitzing isn't a necessity, but more 4 man rushes would be much appreciated.

More good things happen on defense with pressure than with max coverage.

I'm all for mixing in some 8-man coverages every now and then, but yeah, it's been far too frequent I believe. We'll see what they do next week, as I wouldn't think that Sutton wants Rivers to be able to sit back there and scan the field all day...

The encouraging thing is that through two games, we have seen almost everyone get quite a bit of pressure at different points. Houston, Jones, Ford, Bailey, and Logan have all been in either Brady or Wentz's faces a few times.

T-post Tom
09-17-2017, 04:57 PM
Seems like Houston is in pass coverage too much. Reminds me of back in the day when Dan Saleaumua would be sent out in pass coverage. I'd rather see more of Dee Ford in coverage and Houston rushing the passer more often. No problem with Houston in run contain. Houston seems to be even better this year at shedding blocks and tackling.

chiefzilla1501
09-17-2017, 04:58 PM
I'm all for mixing in some 8-man coverages every now and then, but yeah, it's been far too frequent I believe. We'll see what they do next week, as I wouldn't think that Sutton wants Rivers to be able to sit back there and scan the field all day...

The encouraging thing is that through two games, we have seen almost everyone get quite a bit of pressure at different points. Houston, Jones, Ford, Bailey, and Logan have all been in either Brady or Wentz's faces a few times.

Over the last few years, Sutton has been Rivers' daddy. I trust he'll figure out a good scheme for him. I don't get the problem with letting a QB scan all day. I get people who want a little more pressure, but the fact that there are people bitching play after play about how Sutton is incompetent because he doesn't send a lot of rushers don't have any appreciation for how frustrating our scheme is to opposing QBs. What a unique strategy to cut off the QBs primary read and cut out all the short crossers and checkdowns. What we've seen 2 weeks straight is that receivers have to beat you by beating good coverage and QBs have to beat you by making really good throws.

GloucesterChief
09-17-2017, 05:44 PM
Looks at it this way.

Brady week one. Pats offense is predicated on getting the ball out fast and accurate. Blitzing Brady just leaves you exposed in the short to mid field game where Brady makes his living. Once Pats needed large chunks of yards fast meaning Brady had to hold the ball longer then you dial up the blitz.

Wentz week 2 is a smaller faster young Big Ben. He can run and run over you. Again wait till large chunks of yards are needed to bring the blitz.

I think we will see a lot more pressure early against Rivers.