PDA

View Full Version : Football Trevathan suspended for big hit

Hammock Parties
09-30-2017, 02:30 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DK_5D3KVoAAMxM1.jpg

Rain Man
09-30-2017, 02:33 PM
https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/simpsons/images/e/e9/Nelson_Ha-Ha.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20121205194057

kccrow
09-30-2017, 02:35 PM
Kind of as expected.

I don't fault Trevathan and don't call it a dirty hit because I don't think people sometimes realize the speed of the game and how quickly that play happened. He did try to get as low as he could and Adams was breaking tackles, but in the end the hit ended up devastatingly illegal.

Good thing is, Adams is home, not paralyzed, and in concussion protocol. Bad news is, he could be in protocol for a while cuz that was a vicious shot he took. I haven't seen a helmet flex like that in years.

Discuss Thrower
09-30-2017, 02:35 PM
I dunno how Trash or Brooks would sign off on an appeal that waives the penalty entirely if they're all about cutting down contact practices and limiting total games in a season in teh name of player safety.

Not knowing the breadth of the NFL CBA, though, I wouldn't be surprised if they cut it down to only one game however.

Hog's Gone Fishin
09-30-2017, 02:50 PM
I imagine the Broncos methods of play were still at work and he is paying the price.

EPodolak
09-30-2017, 03:05 PM
I imagine the Broncos methods of play were still at work and he is paying the price.

That's really all there is to say of the situation.

Red Dawg
09-30-2017, 03:06 PM
Damn. Little harsh.

Ming the Merciless
09-30-2017, 03:20 PM
at full speed it looked dirty as ****

slowed, down....it was actually clean ....at least the 'intent' was clean IMO (not the result, obvs)

the guy he blasted got yanked down hard right before impact..he 'should' have hit him squarely in the chest but for that unfortunate yank downward

watch it a couple times slow mo:

https://youtu.be/iC9yYkgXX30?t=88

youll see dudes head going STRAIGHT down...and imagine where Trevathan thought he was going to impact, square in the numbers

38yrsfan
09-30-2017, 03:34 PM
In most mature rational situations you 'err on the side of caution', the business we call the NFL is right in enforcing that concept. Perspective and reality people. He was carted off the field for 'our viewing pleasure'.

Ming the Merciless
09-30-2017, 03:40 PM
In most mature rational situations you 'err on the side of caution', the business we call the NFL is right in enforcing that concept.

I do agree with this...in reality. It would be too hard to start trying to figure out intent vs accident.

But at the same time, I think that any reasonable person looking at this slow-mo should be able to at least think its most likely there was no intent to hit Adams in the head.

38yrsfan
09-30-2017, 03:47 PM
I do agree with this...in reality. It would be too hard to start trying to figure out intent vs accident.

But at the same time, I think that any reasonable person looking at this slow-mo should be able to at least think its most likely there was no intent to hit Adams in the head.

Agree, but there was also no need to dog-pile with intent. He wasnt charging in to say hello but to deliver that 'message'.

Al Bundy
09-30-2017, 03:50 PM
It was a clean hit, the receiver ducked his head to make it a dirty hit.

Ming the Merciless
09-30-2017, 03:52 PM
there was also no need to dog-pile with intent.

I think intent is pretty important when you are assessing whether a hit/player is dirty or not.... I am just of the opinion the hit was not intentional.

If it was intentional, I think there should be even more fines/punishment....because to me an intentional hit is much worse than an accident.

I see what you mean by dogpile, but adams was trying to break a tackle....I dont have a problem with Trevathan hitting him in that case.

Valiant
09-30-2017, 04:20 PM
Hopefully it is lessened. This is just like when an OL tackles from behind on someone going after the qb, and you hit their legs.

kccrow
09-30-2017, 04:21 PM
I think intent is pretty important when you are assessing whether a hit/player is dirty or not.... I am just of the opinion the hit was not intentional.

If it was intentional, I think there should be even more fines/punishment....because to me an intentional hit is much worse than an accident.

I see what you mean by dogpile, but adams was trying to break a tackle....I dont have a problem with Trevathan hitting him in that case.

Yup, not to mention Adams already broke 2 tackles on this play. Of course, the replay guys want to just show the hit over and over and act like its a big deal. The only big deal was the severity of the head injury to Adams, not the hit by Trevathan. Personally, I don't think he deserves a suspension, but I expected it.

JakeF
09-30-2017, 04:33 PM
It probably should have just been a single game but i understand why.

LoneWolf
09-30-2017, 05:24 PM
I can't believe anyone can watch that hit and claim it wasn't intentionally spearing. Trevathan led with his helmet with his head ducked down so the top of his helmet was the first thing to make contact. I don't give a shit if he hit him in the head or not. That was a classic case of spearing and is not the way the game is taught.

Reerun_KC
09-30-2017, 05:26 PM
So what about hacksaw Dan Dugan? He going to avoid suspension for the cheap tomahawk?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ming the Merciless
09-30-2017, 05:39 PM
Trevathan led with his helmet with his head ducked down so the top of his helmet was the first thing to make contact. I don't give a shit if he hit him in the head or not. That was a classic case of spearing and is not the way the game is taught.

actually its only "spearing" under the new rules

classically speaking that was not spearing at all from my understanding

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-30-2017, 06:26 PM
You see what you hit and you don't lead with your helmet. That hit was dirty as fuck.

LoneWolf
09-30-2017, 06:26 PM
actually its only "spearing" under the new rules

classically speaking that was not spearing at all from my understanding

It's been considered spearing since 2010. It doesn't really matter how long it's been a rule though. It's illegal now and Trevathan was leading with the crown of his helmet. He should be suspended. The length of that suspension can be debated, but Trevathan's intentions and the fact that he speared an opposing player is not up for debate in my opinion.

LoneWolf
09-30-2017, 06:27 PM
You see what you hit and you don't lead with your helmet. That hit was dirty as fuck.

Yep

Buehler445
09-30-2017, 08:57 PM

Yep. Shouldn't have done it.

My nephew said Adams broke his neck. I presume that's incorrect?

Ming the Merciless
09-30-2017, 09:05 PM
It's been considered spearing since 2010. It doesn't really matter how long it's been a rule though. It's illegal now and Trevathan was leading with the crown of his helmet. He should be suspended. The length of that suspension can be debated, but Trevathan's intentions and the fact that he speared an opposing player is not up for debate in my opinion.

not that it matters but I thought 2013

but hmm i need to re watch it because to me it seemed he had eyes on his man, but it was hard to judge from the angle

maybe someone has a good camera angle?

I really thought it was NOT the top of his helmet but the front

Ming the Merciless
09-30-2017, 09:06 PM
Yep. Shouldn't have done it.

My nephew said Adams broke his neck. I presume that's incorrect?

not correct, concussion i think

Buehler445
09-30-2017, 09:08 PM
not correct, concussion i think

I figured when I wasn't reading headlines all over the place.

TLO
09-30-2017, 09:37 PM
15 years ago this hit would be shown on "JACKED UP" on ESPN over and over and people would be talking about what a hard hitting play it was.

Maybe that's not entirely true, but it seems like it after watching the hit in slow-mo a few times.

Demonpenz
09-30-2017, 09:57 PM
He got suspended for playing football. I am not watching the monday night game and have only watched a half of nfl this year. Shit product. DII and college scerrrrrp

L.A. Chieffan
09-30-2017, 10:00 PM
Where's the GIF bitch?

manchambo
10-01-2017, 01:06 AM
It was a clean hit, the receiver ducked his head to make it a dirty hit.

You're insane.

Ecto-I
10-01-2017, 02:41 AM
He got suspended for playing football. I am not watching the monday night game and have only watched a half of nfl this year. Shit product. DII and college scerrrrrp

I'm not sure how getting knocked out on an illegal hit constitutes "shit product" in a sport other than UFC or boxing. JMO

Mike in SW-MO
10-01-2017, 08:48 AM
not that it matters but I thought 2013

but hmm i need to re watch it because to me it seemed he had eyes on his man, but it was hard to judge from the angle

maybe someone has a good camera angle?

I really thought it was NOT the top of his helmet but the front

Find the angle looking over Trvathan's shoulder. He was looking right at him as he can in then lowered the helmet just above his facemask right into the other guys facemask.

I was on the fence until I saw that angle.

2 games is good with me.

A Salt Weapon
10-01-2017, 10:03 AM
First I heard of this, watched the link that was posted, That ref threw a flag because someone got hurt, that's garbage, the announcers are atrocious.

LoneWolf
10-01-2017, 01:05 PM
First I heard of this, watched the link that was posted, That ref threw a flag because someone got hurt, that's garbage, the announcers are atrocious.

So, it's your contention that Trevathan didn't lead with his head and the crown of his helmet wasn't the first thing to make contact with the receiver?

Direckshun
10-01-2017, 01:27 PM
So, it's your contention that Trevathan didn't lead with his head and the crown of his helmet wasn't the first thing to make contact with the receiver?

Yep.

Two things:

1. The hit was OBVIOUSLY illegal and designed to be vicious the way Trevathan lined up. He should honestly be suspended for the entire season. That would have decapitated any of us in this thread.

2. Anybody saying "he didn't have time to react" has never played any serious sports. Maybe in intramural softball you can have the reaction speed of a two year old but this is elite sports. Even at the high school level you can re-adjust your approach.

The NFL profits on this kind of violence so they won't suspend him as severely as they should, but this was just a disgusting piece of shit move by a linebacker who doesn't give a shit about what he's doing on the field.

You want to get your message across and protect players in the NFL? Suspend this idiot for the rest of the season.

A Salt Weapon
10-01-2017, 04:27 PM

Looked to me he was going to tackle with his shoulder, the ball carrier got pulled down as he already started to lunge.

LoneWolf
10-01-2017, 04:39 PM
Looked to me he was going to tackle with his shoulder, the ball carrier got pulled down as he already started to lunge.

How does that make any sense? If he was going to tackle with his shoulder and the receiver got pulled down as he started to lunge, he would still have hit the receiver with his shoulder.

He clearly led with the crown of his helmet. If you see anything other than that, then I would have to question how much you really understand about the game.

Ming the Merciless
10-01-2017, 04:52 PM
He clearly led with the crown of his helmet. If you see anything other than that, then I would have to question how much you really understand about the game.

It doesn't look like the crown, from the angle I can see. It looks like the bulk of the impact is from the front and side. (Just above and around the facemask)

Still waiting on a gif with a proper angle

But I don't think you are correct here...to me the crown means top of the helmet...

LoneWolf
10-01-2017, 05:10 PM
It doesn't look like the crown, from the angle I can see. It looks like the bulk of the impact is from the front and side. (Just above and around the facemask)

Still waiting on a gif with a proper angle

But I don't think you are correct here...to me the crown means top of the helmet...

Watch the video you posted in this thread at the 1:30 mark and tell me that he didn't lead with the crown of his helmet. If you can watch that and say he didn't lead with the top of his helmet, you should make an appointment at Lens Crafters.

Ming the Merciless
10-01-2017, 05:43 PM
Watch the video you posted in this thread at the 1:30 mark and tell me that he didn't lead with the crown of his helmet. If you can watch that and say he didn't lead with the top of his helmet, you should make an appointment at Lens Crafters.

You can't see the angle at 130

Keep watching to 1:45-150

I am not convinced it was the top of his helmet, it looked like the impact was toward the front.

By the way lenscrafters is a known ripoff, Costco is better

LoneWolf
10-01-2017, 06:54 PM
You can't see the angle at 130

Keep watching to 1:45-150

I am not convinced it was the top of his helmet, it looked like the impact was toward the front.

By the way lenscrafters is a known ripoff, Costco is better

We will have to agree to disagree I guess.

Demonpenz
10-01-2017, 07:48 PM
JAMES FUCKING THRASH. Madden 04